New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron's Kin IC

Tam

"Not so fast," Linnea says, with a sigh. So much for needing a plan to deal with the creature. "We should check the body for clues before we burn it. Keep stabbing, I'll check its aura."

With that, she begins a quick incantation, and then eyes the creature intently, not yet about to get close enough to start searching the body.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Detect Magic, then examine the wendigo (from a safe distance, for now). If nothing is magical, he'll have to get all up close and personal.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

"Clues?! It has pointy teeth and a desire to eat you. Those are clues enough for me. Lets burn this thing."

3. - Top - End - #183

Tam

Linnea's voice is dripping with sarcasm, "Oh, I suppose it's just sheer coincidence that two explosions on the rail line leave us stranded in the territory of this beast? And that we just happened to find his most recent victim, alive even in this blizzard? It may be that this creature holds the key to understanding what's going on. Maybe it doesn't." She shifts to a more pleasant tone, "But let's find out first, and burn second, hey?"

Turning her attention back to the Wendigo, Linnea gives a start, then reaches down to pick up the knife at its belt. "See? This is magical. Now, just let me check for any papers, like I found on that trapper, and then I'll help you burn it." She is now fully conciliatory, eager to smooth over the argument. Then she grows pale. "Those children are still outside in the blizzard. Someone get them inside. The Wendigo isn't a threat anymore, I think." Then she raises her voice, shouting to the gnomes. <gnome> "It's safe now. Come back inside, where it's warm."

Spoiler
    Show
    Last paragraph was edited in. Tam will take 20 on searching the wendigo's ragged clothes for anything else interesting, then he'll help Hunter carry the creature outside and burn it if no one objects.
    Last edited by Jacob Orlove; 2008-03-25 at 10:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184

Wildmane

"I agree we should find out what is going on here."
    Last edited by Valairn; 2008-04-05 at 08:14 PM.
    This avatar brought to you by ThreeShades.

5. - Top - End - #185

Tam

"Oh good," Linnea said, "You keep it unconscious and I'll search the body."

Working carefully, but with obvious inexperience, she combs through the creature's ragged excuses for clothing, starting at the ragged stumps where its feet should be. Linnea finds little beyond the dagger and a pouch with a few gold coins, and tosses the pouch aside, to land under one of the seats with a soft clink. As she proceeds, the Wendigo's wounds continue to close up, leaving no scars behind. Only old burns on the face and new burns on the chest remain as marks that this creature was ever injured.

"It's warm." Linnea observes, "Doesn't feel natural. Wait, what's this?" she asks, drawing a small silvery chain from around its neck, with a small golden locket. She opens the locket - inside is a small painting of a rather attractive human woman, and a scrap of parchment that reads "Aaron and Vanessa - Forever."

"Looks like his name was Aaron." she notes, slipping the locket into a pouch at her waist. To Hunter, she adds, "Did you want to burn him now?"

6. - Top - End - #186

Wildmane

"It would be needlessly cruel to keep it alive. Burn it, burn it and someone pray for its soul."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Rose holds her hand out to take the locket and stares at it, tears brimming in her eyes.

"When a soul has been forced into a state such as this, it must be love that forces us to bring it peace." Rose says to Tam. "This one is not even of the unliving, but it's very nature has been twisted into a beast. I know of no way we can give him peace except through death. Otherwise he will remain as this forever, a spirit of killing. At least in death, in time, he will be reunited, as a man."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

The drow doesn't bother to argue. After all, it'd take less time and he'd be able to dispose of the threat that much more quickly. When the city-slicker finishes, the drow is there with a callous remark. "Congrats, you've found a knife and a dead man's lunch money. By my best guess, the man outside was hunting and this thing nabbed him. So it just so happens to be coincidence that someone wanted everyone inside this car dead when this thing shows up."

Hunter drags the thing outside after giving it a quick stab right between the eyes to make sure it stays down. He remarks to Caleb directly, and doesn't address anyone who helped. "Think you can burn this thing to ash?" Hunter turns toward the forest proper, then sniffs the air and starts walking abit. "I'll be right back, nature calls and all that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hunter's switching his stance to Hunter's Sense.
    Then he'll coup de grace the Wendigo before carrying it outside.

Then he walks out into the forest and gets behind a tree if he doesn't smell anything else. Then he puts on his goggles, waits five minutes, and then returns to his place at watch.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

As Hunter carries the Wendigo outside, the gnomes hurry back toward the relative warmth of the rail coach. The cold is so strong that the drow can smell it, but other than that, there is little except the burning body in what has now become a pyre.

The forest remains quiet, the distant movements of hunting animals rustle quietly with the now-much-calmer wind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for carrying on! Let me know if there's any other actions to be taken during the night - I'll get to dawn tomorrow evening if I don't hear from anyone by then.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

10. - Top - End - #190

Tam

Linnea shakes her head at the hunter's words, and settles back into her corner of the lightning rail car. She extracts a leather-bound journal from her pack, and begins to take notes on the Wendigo's intrusion, and on the events of the previous day. The slow scritching of quill on paper--and a lullaby from Rose--lulls the young gnomes back to sleep. After a fair bit of writing, Linnea puts away the book and settles in for whatever remains of the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    VT, I hope the lullaby bit was okay with you. If not, I apologize. Let me know if you want it changed.

11. - Top - End - #191

Wildmane

Wildmane finds a spot and settles down just inside the car. He isn't asleep, but his eyes are closed, he hums softly to himself something that sounds much like the nation's anthem.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

The dark elf stays outside and passes the time. He wasn't gonna go to sleep just yet, and definitely not when someone else was nearby.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

The remainder of the evening passes uneventfully, though the bound man whimpers several times during the evening, rolling alternately away from and toward the fire.

As the first light of dawn begins to creep over the trees and Hunter's eyes are a struggle to keep open, a roaring sound, like a crackling fire, wakes the sleepers. The elf is the first to see it - a burning ring hovering through the air, headed straight for the camp, and then Wildmane catches sight of what looks like a boat suspended in the center as the airship settles to a stop directly over the coach.

"Anyone alive down there?" calls a voice in a heavy Karrn accent. A man dressed in black, military garb leans his head over the railing, then looks back toward the stern of the vessel. "Ma'am, I think we've found them," he booms. A ladder is lowered, and several flares shot toward the sky. Several men, armed only with a single long blade and wearing clothes that can only be considered a uniform, descend from the ladder and secure it to the ground as best they can.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the end of the first arc - the second one starts as soon as everyone boards the vessel. Everyone gain 660 experience points for your combats.
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2008-05-06 at 06:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

When the elf spots the burning ring, he immediately readjusts all his weapons. He takes meticulous care in storing the long knives inside the folds of his shirt and even goes so far as to hide on inside the chain shirt, strapped to his chest. Once he finishes, he readjusts the dark goggles that block out the sunlight then pulls up his hood nice and tight. Once he finishes, he motions toward the nearby forest. "Theres an airship coming, and I gotta take a leak so.."

Hunter heads toward the forest if there is still time before the airship arrives. He then retrieves his disguise kit and touches up his face. With that done, he finishes his business and returns to the group proper. When the soldiers make themselves obvious, Hunter quietly groans. "Great.. More military men."

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking twenty on Hide checks for all long knives, which puts them at DC 29 to spot. He takes twenty on a Disguise Check to appear like a moon elf(I think) or a high elf. DC 28 spot check to notice the difference.

15. - Top - End - #195

Tam

Linnea wakes with a start at the roar of the airship, looking aroudn with some confusion. Evidently, she places the sound quickly, and has her belongings stowed in no less time. She draws out a small mirror from her pack, and takes a wary look at her own reflection, wistfully muttering something about a hot bath. She settles for tying her hair back in a long black braid, leaving her slightly pointed ears exposed.

After a few bites of dried fruit, Linnea goes outside to watch the incoming ship, ready to signal them should they deviate from their course. She waves to the black-clad man as he leans over the side. As the men are securing the ladder, she walks up to them, "Thanks for the rescue! Are you all coming down, or should we come up?"

16. - Top - End - #196

Wildmane

Wildmane yawns as the airship approaches thinking to himself that they were mighty lucky someone came looking for them. He says to them when they hit the ground, "Thank you gentleman, you saved us one hell of a walk!"

He gathers his belongings and stuffs them in his pack before asking, "Does anyone need any help gathering their things?"
    Last edited by Valairn; 2008-05-07 at 06:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

The black-clad man who seems to be in charge* politely addresses Tam. "Ma'am," he says, "It would be best if you gathered your things and came up - the other airships will be here soon, and they'll want to start extracting the train right away. Do you know what caused the crash?"

Spoiler
    Show
    *He's wearing bigger insignia than the others. Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) DC 15 or Knowledge (Local) DC 1o to identify him as a Karrnathi army lieutenant. Also, a spot check, DC 10, lets you notice the opal ring on his right hand.

18. - Top - End - #198

Tam

"I'm sorry, Lieutenant, but I don't know. Last night, it looked like there were two explosions on the track, but the snow was packed down, not melted. But if we're in a hurry, I'd better go get the children aboard. With your permission." With that, she bows slightly, and turns to walk back into the ruined coach, to help the gnomes pack up and get ready to leave.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

Without a word, Hunter just readjusts the haversack slung over his shoulder. He doesn't say anything, and just keeps to himself. He stands up straight, readjusting his normal posture to accommodate the knife handle poking him in the ribs. He scrutinizes both the one in charge, not that he understood the man's rank, and the soldiers around them first. Then just waits patiently for the group to gather their things and the things of the gnomes before climbing up.

Spoiler
    Show
    He takes 10 on spot checks to notice weaponry, heraldry, and other things on commander or his men. Total is 20.

Knowledge(Local): (1d20+5)[11]