New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Banned

Default Re: Eberron's Kin IC

"I think he'll be safe to touch." Rose says after a moment and feeling no adverse affects. "Lets get him inside and bind him good and proper."

-=-=-=-=-

OOC: *whacks Fax*

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tam

Linnea pulls back nearly a foot as Rose lays her hand on the man's forehead. "You said we weren't supposed to touch him!" she accuses, looking worried.

She doesn't miss that Hunter keeps the man's ID, but her only response is to slip the man's knife into her belt, where it is concealed by the folds of her heavy winter cloak. With her other hand free, and the man perhaps safe to touch, she begins to uncoil the rope, and starts to tie up the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    You posted while I was writing my post. No fair!

Anyway, taking 10 on Use Rope, I suppose, with +2 if anyone wants to Aid Another. That's a check result of 23 (or 25), because of the +10 to tie someone up.
    Last edited by Jacob Orlove; 2008-02-07 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added spoiler

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

"So I did it myself to test it." Rose explains and smiles wanly, "I'm likely to be the easiest to restrain of us all if I begin to froth after all."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

"Skinny little waif that you are, I don't doubt that." Caleb hesitates for a fraction of a second before helping drag the man.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

"So we have a problem. We have one Mr. Keller, from Korth, poaching in a place that's supposedly haunted. Mr. Keller over there gets bitten and goes crazy, right? His other friend was bitten, but he wasn't crazy when he died. So this begs the question.. What happened to them and where did they come from?"

Hunter doesn't help dragging the man. He didn't want him alive to begin with, so he sure wasn't gonna help keeping him alive.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2008-02-07 at 08:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Tam manages to tie up the unconscious man successfully. Meanwhile, it's getting colder out, and the further you get from the fire, the more it chills your bones.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone take (1d4-1)[3](2) damage from cold, unless you're immune. It would be more, but the fire definitely helps.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What, no Fortitude saves?

Hunter

The man shivers and moves abit closer to the fire, then reaches into his backpack and pulls out a thick wool blanket. He shakes the snow off his boots, then covers himself with the blanket.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

"S'gonna be a cooooold night for you folks, I'll grant you that."

9. - Top - End - #129

Tam

'Linnea' shivers, teeth chattering "It's too c-cold out here for me. Wake me up if you need me to stand on watch."

She heads inside the coach, taking the lantern with her, and sets up her bedroll and blanket in a corner, using her pack as a pillow, so that no one can get into it while she sleeps.

Spoiler
    Show
    If he takes any more cold damage, Tam will wake up. He's a light sleeper.

10. - Top - End - #130

Wildmane

Wildmane sits comfortably next to the fire, looking a bit cold, but showing little visible signs of discomfort. He speaks absentmindedly to anyone still around saying, "I was a scout during the war, I haven't slept underneath the stars since the war ended."
    This avatar brought to you by ThreeShades.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

Rose moves after the group to the fire, pulling her hood over her face and wrapping her hands in the fabric of her cloak. She then looks alarmed and heads within the train to check on the gnomes and their children.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnomes and children are making up sort of a nest out of various bits of luggage, and the older two are putting the little ones to bed. The one with the wooded sword is leaning up against a seat, the sword across his legs, and steadfastly refusing to join the others in the nest, though he accepts his mothers frustrated admonishment to put on another coat.

It's a little warmer here in the coach; the walls keep out most of the wind. Tam and Rose both feel like they'd be fine staying the night in here, as long as they bundled up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that everyone is going to bed, I'll need you all to make a listen check during the night. If you're not going to bed, just say so and take any actions you need before you go to bed.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb will stand watch, hopefully to be relieved sometime before midnight so he can get 8 hours of rest.

Listen (1d20-1=15)
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-02-08 at 05:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Rose pokes her head back out and says, "It's a lot warmer in here. That wind cuts you down despite the fire."

She then returns within and smiles at the gnome family. The young woman glances at the boy and at the mother and a shrewd look comes to her face. She spreads her dress out to cover her legs next to the nest and beckons to the boy.

"Come and keep me warm?" she requests, gesturing to her lap. She glances over at the mother and winks.

-=-=-=-=-

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen = (1d20+9)[29]
    Edit: Whoa... well, she bloody well be able to hear whats outside
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-02-08 at 05:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

When Wildmane talks about the war, Hunter looks toward him. "Soldier-type eh? Never did like 'em. Met too many of 'em in my time, ya know?"

---

When Caleb doesn't head inside, Hunter taps the little thing on the shoulder. "Head on to bed, mate. You'll be fine between me and catguy over there." Hunter lets out a short, playful chuckle when he jabs his thumb over toward Wildman.

---

Hunter doesn't sleep that night since he'd already slept during the trip. Instead he remains wrapped up in his blanket and winter clothes to keep watch over the sleepers. He focuses again, letting his scent overwhelm his other less important senses. If Wildmane goes to sleep as well, then Hunter will remove his goggles and let his eyes do the work in the darkness. If Wildmane remains awake, then he'll just rub his temples.

If Wildmane remains awake, Hunter will whisper to him. "Sure you don't need some sleep? We need everyone moving at tip-top shape tomorrow morning."

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action to attain Hunter's Sense stance.

Spot - (1d20+10)[15]
    Listen - (1d20+10)[28]
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2008-02-08 at 07:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Wildmane

"Soldier type.... not so much, I was there because it is what my pride, I mean my family did, they payed for it to, my father and mother dead in an ambush, my mother was the best wizard I knew and she fell dead from an arrow through her throat before any of us even realized we were under attack. I did the job, because its what i knew, not because I liked it. Killing is easy for me, I'm good at it, but its not what I take pride in, who would?"

After saying that, Wildmane picks himself up and moves inside, unrolls his bedroll and goes right to sleep, he wakes up around midnight and gives Caleb a chance to sleep.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

As Caleb and Wildmane are exchanging places just after midnight, the three outside feel the wind pick up, then die down quickly.

Rose, feeling the wind and the gnome in her lap squirming, comes half-awake. The clunk-clunk sound of two stumpy feet hitting the floor of the coach jar her further awake, and she is staring straight into the eyes of hell itself.

Forming, it seems, from the wind itself, a twisted parody of a man is standing over the sleeping family. His eyes glow red and a frosted mane of hair hangs down its back, and snow wisps around it. Oddest of all are the stumps where its feet should be, blackened and smoking as if they were blasted off.

Tam sleeps soundly through the landing, but the boy in your lap is wide-eyed with fear and resolve, holding his wooden sword out with both hands pointed directly at the beast.

It looks confused, as if it didn't expect you to wake up, and pauses for a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    You have surprise, VT. Take any action you like before initiative needs to be rolled; and additionally make one knowledge check of your choice to try and identify the creature.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

Rose stifles a scream, and reflexively her hand goes up to her silver pendant around her neck. She then notices the signs that though perhaps it is a spirit, it is not one from the grave.

She opens her mouth and loudly lets out a mournful, melancholy tune that brings to mind the image of lamenting wind through the trees. It is both beautiful and intensely eerie.

-=-=-=-=-

Spoiler
    Show
    Using bardic music to Fascinate only the creature, plus attempting to awaken the family as well as alert those on watch.

Perform (sing) = (1d20+9)[21]
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-02-10 at 08:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

The creature, fascinated with Rose's song, tilts its head toward the music. There's something both canine and human in the wendigo's eyes, burning rage and loss and longing.

But most of all, hunger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Combat has NOT been entered yet - the Wendigo will remain fascinated until someone makes an aggressive action toward it or the song ends. Additionally, the family are all awake, and scuttle away from the wendigo.
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2008-02-10 at 09:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

The man looks straight toward Wildmane, who had been the last one out of the cabin. He had taken his goggles off to massage his face where they normally rested, but the hood combined with the fire lit behind him provided enough darkness to cover his eyes. He quietly stands up and motions toward the cabin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently - (1d20+11)[30]
    Hide - (1d20+9)[18]

Move toward the cabin entrance, quietly draw longknife in the process.

21. - Top - End - #141

Tam

Linnea stirs at Rose's melody, her pointed ears twitching. She peeks through a half-closed eye, but as soon as she spots the apparition, her eyes shoot open, and she carefully lifts herself to a sitting position, and, when the creature does not seem to react, stands up, hoisting her pack in one slow, smooth motion. It's possible that she intends to flee, but for now, she simply stands and observes the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Local Knowledge check: (1d20+8)[11], to see if he's heard anything that would suggest what this might be (ie, to figure out what other knowledge check to make, since he has the same modifier for all of them).

22. - Top - End - #142

Wildmane

Wildmane looks over at Hunter, and says quietly, "I'll continue to keep watch, take care of whatever is in there."
    Last edited by Valairn; 2008-02-13 at 08:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb moves into the doorway from the fire. He readies a breath if the Beast looks like it's going to do anything dangerous.

24. - Top - End - #144

Tam

Seeing no change in the creature, Linnea offers some quiet reassurances to the gnomes in their native tongue, though she struggles with a word or two. <Gnome> "Be careful! It's a Wendigo, a dangerous spirit. She," Linnea nods her head towards Rose, unwilling to raise a hand to point, "seems to have it entranced, so don't make any sudden or threatening moves. We should be able to handle the creature, so keep yourselves safe. If we can't, though, it's supposed to be vulnerable to fire."

She then sits back down on her bedroll, settles in more comfortably, and calls out, not loudly, but hopefully enough to be heard clearly outside the cabin, <Elven> "We've got a Wendigo in here, but the young woman has it entranced, so don't burst in. Is the fire still burning outside? We might need it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully the Wendigo won't speak either of those languages. Tam didn't want to risk saying "it's vulnerable to fire" in common, since that might be considered threatening. Apologies to Fax and VT for being incomprehensible to Rose and Caleb, since they speak only common + weird languages.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

Hunter stops when the woman inside starts speaking in elven. He takes a moment to collect himself, then sheathes the longknife. He stalks into the train car and quietly remarks to the elven-speaking woman. (Elven)"How long can she keep it busy? If she can keep it like that, I might be able to sneak up behind it and break it's neck. It's only a quick jerk, ya know?"

26. - Top - End - #146

Tam

Linnea replies just as quietly, now almost hard to make out over Rose's mournful song, <Elven> "You'd have to ask her yourself, I'm afraid. It's been at least a minute now, maybe longer." She frowns, "I don't know if you can break its neck, though. If it can walk without feet, it may not need a head either. And the legends say you're supposed to use fire to defeat Wendigos." she concludes. Even for a 'half-elf', Linnea speaks Elven quite well.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Evidentally, the Wendigo does NOT speak Elven or Gnomish. It continues to listen to Rose's song, now and again making mournful noises in an eerie harmony with the music.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

(Elven)"Sister, I haven't met something I can't kill given enough time." Hunter turns toward Rose, and tries to speak to her in a language the wendigo might not know. He cycles through the languages he picked up from his explorations. (Giant/Orc/Goblin)"Can you understand me? How much longer can you sing?"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Rose flashes a look of exasperation as those around talk amongst themselves. As Hunter speaks her expression turns puzzled and she shakes her head.

She continues to sing and in breathy whispers works into it, "Geeeeeeeet the chiiiiiildren oooooouuuut. Waaaaaa! Ooooo... aaaand yooooou neeeeeed heeeeeat."

She glances back to the creature and says in case it gets worried, "Heeeeat of aaaaanger agaaaainst the wrooooonged..."
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-02-18 at 04:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

The parents gather the children up, and nervously hurry past the wendigo and the rest of you on their way out of the compartment. The young boy with the sword looks like he wants to stay, but the adults drag him out.