1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Powers and the City [IC2]

The marquee flashes a smiley.

PERHAPS I'M ON YOUR SIDE TOO?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Well, no one's been on my side in about 12 years, so I guess that's fine with me."

A little disappointed that a fight seems to be nowhere in his immediate future, Eddie draws out another cigarette from his coat pocket and lights up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Number of Awesome Points Won: Serious

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

"This is Skyline, I can have a licensed telepath check your story. If you are telling the truth I am sure that Big Brother over there will be happy to help. Until then we do what the billboard says.

"Twitch wrong... I don't have to finish that."

Escher dials, "Continuity? Where do we go? One block away at all times. Come with me, Eddie."

Still connected to Continuity, Escher starts to walk down the street pulling an energy bar from his pocket and bites down. He reconfigures his facial structure and complexion and inserts gas and liquid to the facial muscles to make him look 30 pounds heaver; his face seems to turn inside out again and a rather ugly, bloated man is left behind.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is okay, that bit about psychics? It seems to make sense in a metahuman heavy world.
    Edit: apparently not, I'm retconning the little story sequence to reflect that
    Last edited by Podger; 2008-02-01 at 04:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

"I'll walk wherever the hell I want, 'Escher.' And why Escher? Do you trap the bad guys in spoooooky magical lithographs?"

Despite his protests against being ordered around, he followed Escher. As much as he liked being a contrarian, it would be plain stupid not to follow along.

Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: I...didn't see the transformation part of your post. Adding something to mine.

Upon witnessing Escher's bizarre transformation, Eddie took a step backward and put a hand into his pocket to grab a knife out of instinct. "What the hell did you just do?!"
    Last edited by MisterSaturnine; 2008-01-26 at 11:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

""Its in the pamphlet (the one they give with the official superhero decoder ring and pointy badge) that all dashing, daring, caped vigilantes need an alias. Escher seemed appropriate given the face. Oh, and I can do this with my hand." Escher's hand is briefly visible in eight dimensions, an eye watering phenomenon.

And you what do you call yourself? I assume that you call yourself something, everybody always does (sigh)."
    Keeping up the small talk Escher led Eddie to a small parking garage. The psychic was in route and the SWAT team was only a block away.

Escher was confident that he could subdue him if the worst case scenario came about.... no, now that he though about it the worst case scenario was that Eddie was a psychotic reality shaper and would tear apart the city at a whim, sometimes Escher hated the world. At least that would explain why the judicial system thought Eddie Balthazar was dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    The face was an edit. I thought it would be interesting.
    Edit: Ooh, just realized that I added a superhuman registration act, hmm, let's say he's being sarcastic if you don't actually want that.
    edit: retconned out of the registration act too
    Last edited by Podger; 2008-02-01 at 04:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

"Damn, you need a license around here? Well, it's not like I've been doing much that's legal these days, anyway. One more thing can't hurt. Have figured out a name for myself, though. Can't go around calling myself Eddie, so I go by the Sinner's Saint. I'd rather not, to be honest. By the way, if you're leading me into a trap...I don't care if I don't make it out, I'll make sure that you don't either."

Spoiler
    Show
    It was very interesting. I really like the character you've created.
    Last edited by MisterSaturnine; 2008-01-26 at 11:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

"No trap. Basically we wait here for a telepath. He takes a quick peak and if everything is hunky-dory you will be temporarily 'liberated' under the telepath's supervision, at least until we find out why you are dead and where Father Autumn is now.

"You still haven't told me how you're dead. I had a personal bet that you had mob connections."

Spoiler
    Show
    edit: more retconning
    Last edited by Podger; 2008-02-01 at 04:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

"No mob connections here. I once wrote an article about a mob boss who got himself planted in jail, though. I understand him so much better now. But the answer to that's actually really simple. I just broke out. Got shot a couple times, left some skin on the barbed wire, but I did break out. The wardens apparently decided it would be easier for them to declare me dead than to lose face and report that I escaped."

((I don't think he's here right now. We might have to call it a night.))
    Last edited by MisterSaturnine; 2008-01-27 at 12:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

((Sorry, was at work. I swear I don't usually work Saturday nights. And I hope I never do again. ))

A movement down the street - the SWAT team was arriving ((I hope I'm not too out of bounds by announcing what they do; I apologize in advance if I am)). Black body armor and shields glistened in the evening light, and automatic rifles bristled in the direction of the man and the freak. Among them, less armed but sporting a protective vest, was Tin, speeding up now to get his potential combatant within range. A brief mind probe from a distance revealed....calm, nothing more. This enemy was cool, and apparently wasn't thinking anything too incriminating at the moment.

Tin motioned for the team to stop - he didn't want them ruining a diplomatic moment. Cool though the man was, the air was hot and tense, and Tin felt an eruption could happen at any second. Finally close enough that he could confidently employ his namesake ability, he looked at the morphing monstrosity to his left.

"Escher, I presume? My name is Tin, and, uh....I'll be your telepath today. But before I do my business here I think it'd be best if the two of you carefully put down whatever weapons you might have, just to make those guys behind me happy." He gestured to the SWAT team behind him. "Please?"

10. - Top - End - #40

Checkmate concentrated for a moment, and his cell phone rang. "Senator, can you excuse me for a moment?"

A safe distance away, he called Continuity. "Did you call out SWAT for Escher?"

Yes, Steven. You said to help him.

"Damn it, Connie. No more calling out firepower without asking me first."

Sorry, Steven, she said sadly, but he had already switched lines.

"Escher. This is a really bad idea. You corner this guy and people are going to die - maybe him, maybe cops. Take him to a safe house." Checkmate quickly rattled off an address in a bad part of town. "I'll meet you there, and I can take care of any problems. Trust me."

The building had seen better days, and those days were seventy years ago. Now it was a haven for hookers and junkies and people on their way out. Except Apartment 508. A one bedroom, one bath, haven. Modernist furniture. 80 inch plasma TV on one wall with a hard drive containing thousands of movies. A full fridge. A collection of clothes, men and women, in various sizes. A lunch spread. Beer.

Checkmate sat in a chair in front of the TV, watching Escher and the Saint, and hoping they'd make the right decision.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

"Dammit. I told the SWAT to stay back one block. Sorry about that Saint, I'll just be a moment.

"Yo, you morons. What the bloody hell do you think you're doing? I made it quite clear that only the psychic was supposed to come in. Continuity, are you getting this? I want everybody with a gun out of this building now."

Escher stood up slowly and waved his badge. The badge was a cheap piece of tin that he bought at a convenience store, it meant nothing, by law no authority was derived from it, but Escher had learned that humans responded well to bright shining things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Escher is not constantly morphing. Right now he just looks like a rather ugly heavy set man. Though his transition between mask and normal face is extremely disturbing and disgusting to watch.

Any actual shape change is either very small in magnitude or very slow in happening

Note: Any profanity or insults are directed at the cops not at the other players, just saying
    Last edited by Podger; 2008-02-01 at 04:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

"Not a problem. I could kill a few and give the others PTSD if they tried anything. Hello, Tin. Make sure when you probe my mind, you only look at whether or not I'm telling the truth. OK? Nothing else. It'll be better for both of us."

Behind his speech, there was something less than cool and collected--there was a certain urgency that made his last statement almost a plea.

"So, where are we going? Let's get this over with. I'm getting twitchy with all this authority around. The violent kind of twitchy. I'll put down my weapons when they do."

He withdrew a knife from his coat pocket, accompanied by a single brass knuckle, which he slipped on over his leather glove.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, no worries, Sannit. All of us here have other commitments, and we can't be expected to abandon them just to post here.
    Last edited by MisterSaturnine; 2008-01-27 at 03:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"There's no need for violence, now. We'll be left alone, and then we can settle this and get back to our lives." He motioned slowly for the SWAT team to leave them, which they began to do. Cautiously, Tin approached Saint. "In order to tell whether you're telling the truth or not, I need you to make the statement that you want me to assess."

14. - Top - End - #44

"Fine with me."

His left hand still gripping his knife and his brass knuckles gleaming in the sunlight, the Sinner's Saint stepped a little closer to Tin. With all these powered people around, Eddie was feeling a little ineffectual, and nothing cures that like a healthy dose of intimidation.

"I'm Eddie Balthazar. I found the manifesto of Father Autumn, and was framed for the murder of a family of three by him. Good enough for you?"
    Last edited by MisterSaturnine; 2008-01-27 at 04:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Tin nodded, and withheld a sigh of relief. "It's alright, he's telling the truth - he was framed." Or thinks he was, anyway. Regardless, the situation seemed to have been diffused, though he'd like to hear more about this "Father Autumn" character later, circumstances permitting. At the moment, there seemed to be no immediate danger. Tin relaxed, if only a little.

16. - Top - End - #46

"Jesus. This whole thing makes me feel worse. I spent 12 years in prison when one little guy like you could've proved to the court I was innocent."

He laughed resentfully, and pocketed his weapons.

"A lot of people are going to pay for this. I'll find Autumn, then that judge, then every member of that god damn jury and leave 'em as nothing but little stains on the wall..."
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

"Might I suggest then that my benefactor posts a bond and Eddie Balthazar is handed over to us as his guardians."

Escher placed himself between Tin and the Sinner's Saint. He put his back towards the Saint, it wouldn't matter in a fight and who knew? The Saint might actually see it as a gesture of trust.

The knives did not hold well with Escher, it looked like a toddler cuddling with his teddy bear at night, innocent or not Escher was going to keep an eye on him.

"At least until the we find evidence of innocence. And Mr. Balthazar? please, do stay quiet for the foreseeable future, no need to go straight back to jail, is there?"

If he goes to prison right now somebody is going to die, and I doubt that it will be Eddie. Checkmate is going to have to look into metahuman insane asylums....

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, everyone is together at last in one big, very twitchy, uneasy team.
    Edited: replaced Checkmate with benefactor
    Last edited by Podger; 2008-02-01 at 04:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

A text message scrolls across Escher's phone.

BRING SS AND TIN TO THE SAFE HOUSE SO WE CAN TALK.

19. - Top - End - #49

"Alright. Alright, fine, I'll try and keep quiet. Anything to keep me out of jail. And you can call me Eddie. The telepath will stick to the Sinner's Saint, or Mr. Balthazar, which I kinda like."
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Mr. Balthazar, I think it would be best if you were to tell us everything you know about Father Autumn. I know you want revenge right now, but the best way to get justice for the crimes committed against you - and the people you were framed for killing - is to help us catch him."

Spoiler
    Show
    Darn you ninjaposters, now my post makes no sense. *edits it*
    Voshkod, I'm not sure I entirely understand the relationship between Checkmate and SLEA. I feel like I've missed something there.
    Last edited by Sannit; 2008-01-27 at 05:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show
    Checkmate has no relationship with SLEA. As he says, you can't spell SLAVE without SLEA. However, he sort of pities the people working for it, and tries to help them out. He's an independent operator.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

"My mysterious benefactor would prefer something a little less formal. We can take his statement at the McDonald's down the street, I think that would be more preferable to Eddie as well."

Spoiler
    Show
    But at the same time he is a billionaire. He should be able to post a bond (I'm imagining a hearing to officially clear his name, until then Sinner's Saint would be released under the supervision of Escher and Tin) even if he has to launder the money a little first. Everyone is connected and has to work together, until the hearing at least.

23. - Top - End - #53

"Enough," says Escher's cell phone. "Mr. Saint. I'd like to meet you, with Tin and Escher or alone, before you make statements. Before you come back to life." An address follows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, but Checkmate has his own agenda here.
    Last edited by Voshkod; 2008-01-27 at 06:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

"Ah, I finally get to hear the voice I'm assuming is attached to Big Brother. I'll go in with Escher and Tin. I don't think Escher's going to stab in me in the back, and Tin can go ahead and try. It won't do him much good. And I'm not any statements at all until my name is cleared without a shadow of a doubt. And like Tin said, the only way to do that is to smash in Autumn's head. I'm willing to meet with you first, of course, but it had better be brief."

He turned to Escher, no longer addressing his cell phone.

"Take me to your leader."
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

*Sigh* "Fine, Tin if you want to keep your job you should come with us. Continuity, tell me where the gaps are in the police cordon, uh-huh, okay."

Escher led them past the police, circled several blocks, eventually leading them to an emergency safe house Checkmate had told him about months ago. Escher felt uneasy, he had met Checkmate after months of correspondence.

The fact that Checkmate was revealing himself for an evidently psychotic runaway convict seemed strange. Checkmate had set the board and Escher knew that he was only a pawn in a living chess game.

But if I make it to the other side I could become anything.... Wait a minute, what is the other side?
    Last edited by Podger; 2008-01-28 at 10:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Recap the description of the safe house:

The building had seen better days, and those days were seventy years ago. Now it was a haven for hookers and junkies and people on their way out. Except Apartment 508. A one bedroom, one bath, haven. Modernist furniture. 80 inch plasma TV on one wall with a hard drive containing thousands of movies. A full fridge. A collection of clothes, men and women, in various sizes. A lunch spread. Beer.
    Checkmate greeted them at the door in his, well, costume. A nightmare of black and white squares with a rook symbol in the middle of the chest. He wore a mask.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen. Welcome. Tin, nice to meet you. I trust we'll be gentlemen and not use our powers on each other? Escher, good to see you again. And Mr. Saint. Welcome. Please, get yourselves something to eat and drunk. And rest assured; this apartment is completely impervious to monitoring."

He waited a few moments until everyone had a chance to refresh themselves.

"Now, Mr. Saint. Every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints. I know the Stones well enough. I want to hear your story. I want to hear about Father Autumn. And I want to know if you intend to stay dead."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Tin looked around. Not bad. This "Checkmate" fellow seems to have done very well for himself....why had he never heard of him? ((Or would he have heard of him?))

He nodded at his host's request. "Of course; I would never invade the privacy of someone who means me no harm." At least, for the time being. "Thank you, by the way, for providing us with all these refreshments." Tin helped himself to food and drink. This wasn't so bad, this "organized vigilante" business. And he was being paid to attend parties! Certainly worth all the paperwork.

28. - Top - End - #58

OOC: Tin probably would have heard of Checkmate, if only as a source of information.

29. - Top - End - #59

Eddie grinned.

"Glad you got the reference. Looks like you are as smart as you most certainly think you are. I think I can tell you a bit about Father Autumn, I have a fairly good memory of the interview. Father Autumn started as a superhero at the age of...I think 25, during the mid 1960's, active mostly in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and stopped quite a few threats in his time. He retired about 22 years ago. I interviewed him on the 10th anniversary of his retirement. He should be in his late 60's by now. When I was interviewing him, I found his manifesto. Basically, he thinks that all human beings are corrupt, and the only way to cleanse the Earth is to kill them all, except two, and start from scratch. No doubt he imagines himself as a God figure, guiding the new human race. He likely shapeshifted to leave my fingerprints at the crime scene, and I would bet my life that he killed those people and that's he's planning to kill a lot more. He disappeared about 9 years back. Looks like I'm more coherent than I seem, eh? Memory's still crystal after all this time."
    Spoiler
    Show

--Mark Twain

30. - Top - End - #60

"So, why are you in Skyline? Do you think he's here? Because he could be a big problem, gentlemen." Checkmate sipped his beer. "You need to understand that ever since that fiasco in Denver with Rockslide, Congress is looking at registration laws again. Unmasking laws. Cracking down on the dangerous superheroes. If we have a crazy one running around, that won't help matters at all. Now, I'm doing what I can to keep these things from moving forward. I'm not going to let them know who I am. I can't take that risk."