New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A Balancing Act

1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

Default Re: A Balancing Act

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Will save for wraith, assuming the one within 30 feet that Grag HASN'T beat on. Nix last turn check in favor of Gen's actual action.

[roll0]

If pass, 75 damage, If fail, 135 damage.

Edit: 75 damage, and it's hurting and PISSED.

Edit 2: Anyone who would like to make a free DC 22 Spellcraft check, be my guest.
    My Spellcraft check is at a +26 modifier already. Do I need to roll?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

Torc's action is noted. Next is Gragthor.

Spellcraft result: Effect: Identify an existing 2nd level spell effect already in place, based on character interaction with the effect.

Solo, the wraiths seem to be less hurt than they should be from the attacks, both physical and magical. After focusing for a moment, there seem to be two magical emanations in the room, other than darkness. Both seem to be Desecration effects, both seem incredibly powerful effects (treated as a shrine to an evil deity), and one seems to be... moving... At least, you're pretty sure it is, as the wraiths seem to be visibly drawing strength from it. The general area of the effects are:

1) The vicinity of Gragthor and the two wraiths. This desecration effect is slowly creeping towards the entrance portal.

2) Immediately to your right. This desecration effect is completely engulfing the area of the portal... Including the area you're standing on.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Banned

Gen, I'm detecting a strong field of Desecration here, and it seems to be spreading. What do you think is causing it?

Ozymandias will try to determine what else is going on, if possible.
    K. Arcana: (1d20+23)[33]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+28)[33]

Also, I shall take a round to see what one of my Arcane Eyes picked up.

Edit: On my turn, of course.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-02-18 at 04:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Gen, I'm detecting a strong field of Desecration here, and it seems to be spreading. What do you think is causing it?

Ozymandias will try to determine what else is going on, if possible.
    K. Arcana: [roll0]
    Spellcraft: [roll1]

Also, I shall take a round to see what one of my Arcane Eyes picked up.
    Not spreading. The effect is seemingly portable. As for the eye, you'll be able to do that on your initiative.

EDIT: Knowledge will grant you the following, on your turn: As Desecrate is not a portable effect, by the spell, this cannot be a cast version. That means that there is a pair of moving sources of immense evil, strong enough to radiate such an aura, in this room. As to exactly what it could be, Knowledge(the Planes) or Knowledge (religion) will offer more information. The DC of those checks is 31.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-19 at 01:05 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Banned

Quick, somebody do something!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Like what?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Banned

Isn't it Grag and Torc's turn to attack them?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

i have done something, i tried to find the real opponent
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

Isn't it Grag and Torc's turn to attack them?
    Torc has his planned action laid out. Tumbling and total defense. He may change it up to the point that Grag acts. It is currently Grag's action.

If he does not post by midday, I'll authorize another player to make grag's attack, discounting the miss chance from blink, as even when ethereal (and thus incorporeal), he still, by the text of incorporeal, can hit other incorporeal creatures. Based on the fact that incorporeal's ability to hit is couched with other items that incur a 50% miss chance, we'll keep that on both sides) Thus, he'll have a 20% conceal effect, and a 50% incorporeal miss chance, regardless of whether he's in the material plane or the ethereal one, and blink has no functional impact on the ability to hit.

Wraiths make attacks against corporeal foes with no miss chance. This is not shown to extend to incorporeal creatures. Blink miss chance will apply, however, if the blink chance is shown to miss, the wraith will get the 50/50 chance entitled above to incorporeal creatures attacking. Net result of this is that the dread wraith has a 25% chance of auto missing a blinking opponent (lifesense bypassing the darkness), whereas in this environment, a blinking opponent will have a 60% total chance to miss the wraiths. Feel free to roll your percentages individually or use the derived number above. OpFor will roll all chances individually.

EDIT: Turn count: 4. Initiative count: Gragthor's action.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-20 at 02:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

if Ozymandias actualy points out where he senses a desecration effect spreading from Torg would move over there instead to investigate.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    if Ozymandias actualy points out where he senses a desecration effect spreading from Torg would move over there instead to investigate.
    Bear in mind, this will put you back into the pocket that the wraiths seem to be attempting to form, surrounding the group... That, or much closer to the wraiths that grag is engaging.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

well from the start my plan has been to try and lure as many wraiths as possible into attacking me, since lag off a magic weapon forces me into total defence i might as well try and make the wraiths waste their time on a target they proberly wont hit.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    well from the start my plan has been to try and lure as many wraiths as possible into attacking me, since lag off a magic weapon forces me into total defence i might as well try and make the wraiths waste their time on a target they proberly wont hit.
    I wonder if there's and Greater Magic Weapons left... They can be applied to a monk's unarmed strike.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

I wonder if there's and Greater Magic Weapons left... They can be applied to a monk's unarmed strike.
    Nope, mine're all out.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

of course, i did have a pearl of power for situations like that, but some complete and undead bastard have taken it and hidden it in a trappet chest..

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Torc has his planned action laid out. Tumbling and total defense. He may change it up to the point that Grag acts. It is currently Grag's action.

If he does not post by midday, I'll authorize another player to make grag's attack, discounting the miss chance from blink, as even when ethereal (and thus incorporeal), he still, by the text of incorporeal, can hit other incorporeal creatures. Based on the fact that incorporeal's ability to hit is couched with other items that incur a 50% miss chance, we'll keep that on both sides) Thus, he'll have a 20% conceal effect, and a 50% incorporeal miss chance, regardless of whether he's in the material plane or the ethereal one, and blink has no functional impact on the ability to hit.

Wraiths make attacks against corporeal foes with no miss chance. This is not shown to extend to incorporeal creatures. Blink miss chance will apply, however, if the blink chance is shown to miss, the wraith will get the 50/50 chance entitled above to incorporeal creatures attacking. Net result of this is that the dread wraith has a 25% chance of auto missing a blinking opponent (lifesense bypassing the darkness), whereas in this environment, a blinking opponent will have a 60% total chance to miss the wraiths. Feel free to roll your percentages individually or use the derived number above. OpFor will roll all chances individually.

EDIT: Turn count: 4. Initiative count: Gragthor's action.
    But I'm not just incorporeal while blinking, I'm ethereal. I simply can't interact with the material plane, and vice versa. Incorporeal creatures are still on the material plane. Also, blindsight (and thus lifesense) doesn't detect ethereal creatures, meaning they're denied their dex bonus to AC.

Anyway, fort save(s)

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    I didn't bother adding a modifier, since I'll make it on anything but a one.

Gragthor's actions:

Gragthor rages, then full attacks, power attacking for full, starting with the wraith he has already hit and 5-foot stepping to the other if he drops the first.

Attack one: [roll2]
    Blink, 20%: [roll3]
    Incorporeal, 50%: [roll4]
    Concealment, 20%: [roll5]
    Attack two: [roll6]
    Blink, 20%: [roll7]
    Incorporeal, 50%: [roll8]
    Concealment, 20%: [roll9]
    Attack three: [roll10]
    Blink, 20%: [roll11]
    Incorporeal, 50%: [roll12]
    Concealment, 20%: [roll13]
    Attack four: [roll14]
    Blink, 20%: [roll15]
    Incorporeal, 50%: [roll16]
    Concealment, 20%: [roll17]

All attacks are against flatfooted AC, and deal 75 points of damage on a successful hit.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, my rolls seem to have borked. Let's try that again.

Saves:
    (d20)[14]
    (d20)[10]

Attack one: (d20+24)[26]
    Blink, 20%: (d100)[76]
    Incorporeal, 50%: (d100)[32]
    Concealment, 20%: (d100)[62]
    Attack two: (d20+19)[33]
    Blink, 20%: (d100)[47]
    Incorporeal, 50%: (d100)[38]
    Concealment, 20%: (d100)[61]
    Attack three: (d20+14)[25]
    Blink, 20%: (d100)[78]
    Incorporeal, 50%: (d100)[47]
    Concealment, 20%: (d100)[93]
    Attack four: (d20+9)[22]
    Blink, 20%: (d100)[5]
    Incorporeal, 50%: (d100)[83]
    Concealment, 20%: (d100)[5]

18. - Top - End - #228
    Banned

Ok, the part that's had me confused was I was applying ghost's incorporeal ability (which show it partially ethereal), with all incorporeal abilities.

By RAW, you may hit other incorporeal foes when incorporeal. However, as the direct RAW is vastly superceded by the common sense assertation that you're incorporeal in different ways (wraiths are only partially there, you're somewhere else entirely), I will rule that blink works on wraiths the exact same way as it does other foes. If this were a ghost, that exists mainly in the ethereal plane, it would be a different story.

You: 20% conceal, 20% blink, 50% incorporeal.

Wraith: 50% blink.

By this reasoning, and applying the same failure numbers you used last time (1-20 and 1-50 misses), all attacks missed.

Attacks 1, 2, and 3 missed due to incorporeal. Attack 4 failed on concealment AND blink.

Action is to Solo, followed by the wraiths, and then Gen.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-20 at 03:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

I shall take a round to absorb what one of the eyes shows me.

I use eye number (1d2)[2]

So take the eye's spot check and yeah, tell me what I see.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

I shall take a round to absorb what one of the eyes shows me.

I use eye number [roll0]

So take the eye's spot check and yeah, tell me what I see.
    As Torc did not receive an update from Oz, he is currently in 16, 18, tumbling, in full defense
    The shadows that have been providing concealment provide no protection from the power of the Eyes you have. Nor do the Invisibility spells that the two creatures you notice. Without concealment in which to hide, the best sneakiness of your opponents is laid bare enough for a child to see.

There are also a pair of Gargantuan shadowy creatures, shaped roughly like a humanoid, in the room. Specifically, one is in 10/11, 34/35 (20 ft from worira, immediately behind wraiths).
    The other is in 21/22, 39/40 (15 feet to your east).

However, without the eye's true seeing effect, you no longer have sight of them... Only where they were up to the moment you absorbed (as they are within 120 feet of you, both of them).

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

I shout out the last known location of both of the creatures, telling the others to be on guard, as well as move behind Gen so as to get away from the creepy critter near me.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-02-21 at 12:15 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

(1d20+11)[22] for Gen's meager Knowledge: Religion.

When initiative comes around, Gen will cast Death Ward on Ozy.

[color=Green]"Everyone, gather around; I'll put up a Blade Barrier around us."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    [roll0] for Gen's meager Knowledge: Religion.

When initiative comes around, Gen will cast Death Ward on Ozy.

[color=Green]"Everyone, gather around; I'll put up a Blade Barrier around us."
    That'll be right after the wraiths. Oh, and darn you. The closest one had a readied action for finger of death on ozy if he attempted to cast. Oh well, with the spellcraft check he has, he auto knows the spell you cast. Down side, nobody triggered his ready action, and he's sure not gonna take it now.

Knowledge religion checks to identify undead, and useful information about them, starts at 10+HD of monster. In this case, 31. I'll rule that DC -5 will get you monster name without any useful information, but you didn't reach that either.

The other check that will identify this monster is Knowledge (The Planes), as it is an extraplanar creature. (Environment is the plane of Shadow).

24. - Top - End - #234
    Banned

I'm invisible and you don't know exactly where I am, so you can't touch me to cast the spell, Rachel. Just cast Blade Barrier or buy us some time while I do my thing.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-02-21 at 12:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Banned

Wraiths on Grag attack. All blink rolls of 50% or less miss. Any hits require a fort save, natural 1 fails.
    (1d20+18)[30]
    Blink Chance: (1d100)[1]

(1d20+18)[22]
    Blink Chance: (1d100)[57]

Third wraith has no apparent action.

Gen casts death ward on Ozy.

End of Round 5, start of round 6.

Another dread wraith appears (Designated Wraith 4), this time at 3/4, 39/40.

Initiative: (1d20+13)[23]
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-21 at 12:58 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

Dread wraith gets first action, no visible action.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

Solo, if you're moving by her, it's a simple action to say something to clue her into your location. And you did say something. Then, the cast and touch, as a full round action, shouldn't have a problem. She announced no movement, so it's all legit.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-21 at 01:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

So, four dread wraiths and two unknown monsters?

Time to get serious.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

Gen feels the need to protect the low-Fort-save sorcerer (that's what you get for not being Shapechanged into a Nymph) from the nasty undeads. Assuming Ozy wants to be touched, the Death Ward goes on. "Buy us a little time, Ozy. Prismatic Sphere, or maybe a Wall of Force straight up. We need to see the invisible, for starters."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned

So, four dread wraiths and two unknown monsters?

Time to get serious.
    Serious? By the monsters you've seen so far, I'm only at CR 18.