New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Erfworld 93 (Page 84)

So is this the first indication that the suggestion spell was Thinkamancy? Definitely casts Thinkamancy in a more... sinister... light than before.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Erfworld 93 (Page 84)

In other news, I love how badass Parson is in the third-to-last and last panels.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    So is this the first indication that the suggestion spell was Thinkamancy? Definitely casts Thinkamancy in a more... sinister... light than before.
    Possibly thinkamancy AND foolamancy. At least that is what Parson has deducted... makes sense though for a suggestion spell to fall between the two realms

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Oh… ouch. Not sure I like this Thinkamancer. So that's why the other two were hit so hard.

Doesn't help that she looks so much like Maggie Thatcher.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    In other news, I love how badass Parson is in the third-to-last and last panels.
    Seconded! He seems very brooding, though the desk with evil eyes helps I think.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hn.

So, Wanda paid the price for being massively overconfident in her own skill?

Then she very much deserved the dressing-down Stanley gave out for the failure. Overconfidence gets you dead.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

My Guess... Wanda has more talent in thinkamancy than Maggie gives her credit for... it wasn't that Wanda COULDN'T prevent the backlash, it was that she did not WANT to block the backlash... my is guess is that she took the damage on purpose because she did not want to hurt (or possibly croak) Jillian... Awww ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Otaku View Post
    Possibly thinkamancy AND foolamancy. At least that is what Parson has deducted... makes sense though for a suggestion spell to fall between the two realms
    Actually Parson did not deduce that Foolamancy was part of the spell... he mentioned the foolamancer along with Misty as he was talking about them in the same line of thought... What Parson had Deduced, is that Maggie protected herself from the backlash and by doing so ended up stiking Misty and the foolamancer even harder than they should of been... Misty winds up croacked and the foolamancer goes a little crazy... had Maggie taken the backlash aswell, the two of them might have come out of it better

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenputtyknife
    Doesn't help that she looks so much like Maggie Thatcher.
    Ah, y'know i thought she looked liked someone, but had trouble remembering the name
    Last edited by slayerx; 2008-01-25 at 03:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Wait a minute. Something's not right here.

In several panels, we see the scene beyond the windows. It looks like the crater wall is rising part way up the window. In the last panel, the crater rim appears roughly level with the top of Parson's head. It's also clear that the “camera” is low relative to Parson. Since the rim is a good distance away, it must be a lot higher than Parson's new office.

Now look at the last but one frame of the previous page: we can clearly see Efdup Tower, including the observation deck, rising high above the rim. This view is from Ansom's camp at the foot of GK, which means the observation deck must be much higher than the rim.

I'm pretty certain, based on the shapes of the windows, that the observation deck is the only place in GK where that office could be located. Which means this page contradicts the last one.

Or am I seeing shadows again?

9. - Top - End - #9

Well, Parson is certainly not happy with Maggie there and for good reason. It's quite likely that Misty got croaked because Maggie protected herself from the backlash of breaking their mental link.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    My Guess... Wanda has more talent in thinkamancer than Maggie gives her credit for... it wasn't that Wanda COULDN'T prevent the backlash, did not WANT to block the backlash... my is guess is that she took the damage on purpose because she did not want to hurt (or possibly croak) Jillian... Awww ^^
    An interesting theory, and not entirely without merit.
    What Parson had Deduced, is that Maggie protected herself from the backlash and by doing so ended up stiking Misty and the foolamancer even harder than they should of been... Misty winds up croacked and the foolamancer goes a little crazy... had Maggie taken the backlash aswell, the two of them might have come out of it better
    Sounds like Stanley, if he cared about keeping the Foolamancer functional, should have given Maggie more precise orders about sacrificing herself and Misty when breaking the link. Otherwise, presumably protecting oneself is part of being a good Thinkamancer.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    My Guess... Wanda has more talent in thinkamancer than Maggie gives her credit for... it wasn't that Wanda COULDN'T prevent the backlash, did not WANT to block the backlash... my is guess is that she took the damage on purpose because she did not want to hurt (or possibly croak) Jillian... Awww ^^
    Seems unlikely. Maggie is surely an expert Thinkamancer, or she wouldn't have been able to hold the Eyemancers together. As such she knows the difference between a novice and an expert. She almost certainly knows what she's talking about.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

well yeah miss thatcher (or Maggie the Thinkamancer as we officially know her :P ) is probably talking about what is logical. And the logical thing of course would be to hurt the object of the casting. But as we all have seen there is more than just logic between Wanda and Jillian. So I'm more than happy to believe that Wanda did the illogical thing and let herself be hurt.

oh yeah, typo in panel 10 ? Parson says "so something like what happened to Misty and the foolamancer"

what should be that I believe?

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Kpenguin, Baboon Army and Gurgleflep for the awesome happles avatars!

“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!” - Benjamin Franklin

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I rarely post in Erf, but I think I'm going to from now on...
    Loved the line "Fatigue has begun to be a factor, Lord."

*chuckles as he surfs some more*

*EDIT* @ Pepz: Where's the typo? Sounds correct to me (as in Stanley talking).
    Last edited by †Seer†; 2008-01-25 at 03:27 AM.
    -Ex Chaos Adveho Ordo-
    Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    I don't join groups i just play with myself.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

No, "what" makes perfect sense there--it's not very grammatically correct, but it's a construct quite often used in spoken English.

As for the scene beyond the window, I assumed the grey stuff at the bottom was actually clouds...the mountains round GK are more reddish, aren't they?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

i Loved this comic.
    parsons badassness
    the line: fatigue has begun to be a factor
    and all the rest of it

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pepz View Post
    well yeah miss thatcher (or Maggie the Thinkamancer as we officially know her :P ) is probably talking about what is logical.
    It's not a matter of logic, it's a matter of skill. It doesn't matter how much you may want to protect someone if you don't have the skill or ability to do it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As for the scene beyond the window, I assumed the grey stuff at the bottom was actually clouds...the mountains round GK are more reddish, aren't they?
    The sky above looks dark, so it's a night scene, which means we can't expect much color in the landscape. Also, the top of the line has a distinct curvature which is consistent with the interior of a circular rim wall, and completely inconsistent with clouds.

18. - Top - End - #18

No, "what" makes perfect sense there--it's not very grammatically correct, but it's a construct quite often used in spoken English.

it is dark so all cats are grey. In previous strips when Ansom & Co are shown below GK there are no clouds. Since I assume it is the same turn (night) I'd say these are no clouds.

Maybe the boss office is not at the very top of the tower (which would be dangerously exposed to shooting and air attacks)? The top is a small observation platform, the office seems to be big, with some sort of a firepit in the middle. If it is so that would explain the view on the crater rim.

Besides, his chief executive chair is kinda cool, isn't it? More lie a chief executioner chair... now talk about not an evil faction here

Also, I agree with posters above who said that this strip is about two different spells. First, we learn what went wrong with Wanda's suggestion (still, why was she soooo certain about it?). Second, why breaking the triple link was such a desaster.

Did you notice how Parson sticks to his sword handle? I wonder if it'll work like the rings in Spaceballs?
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

To make it clear, the ungrammatical aspect of the sentence is not the use of "what" -- Parson is using "what happened to Misty" as a nominal relative clause. The grammar problem is that the sentence is fragmentary: in fact, both the subject and main verb are omitted; as Factotum says, this is quite often done in spoken English when the context is known. Parson's line should be understood as "So [you're saying that what would have happened to the target of your spell is] something like what happened to Misty."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knight13 View Post
    Well, Parson is certainly not happy with Maggie there and for good reason. It's quite likely that Misty got croaked because Maggie protected herself from the backlash of breaking their mental link.
    Agreed. Maggie must have diverted the backlash away from herself into Misty and the Foolamancer, which is why the former croaked and the latter went insane. Who's to say Misty wouldn't still be alive if the damage had been spread more evenly?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Margaret the Thinkamancer Good one !

Btw , what is Parson holding in panels 4 and 5 ?
    Last edited by Fenix; 2008-01-25 at 05:32 AM.
    "The Order of the Stick was here!"
    OOTS fan &

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

@^: It appears to be the hilt of a sword, though your guess is as good as mine as to why the blade is missing.

23. - Top - End - #23

it came in the stupid meal.

Bogroll tries to figure out something... but my guess is it's kinda light sabre
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

He got it in his stupid meal a few strips back. All he got was the hilt, he is hoping for the blade in one of the next ones.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2008-01-25 at 05:51 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Is it just me or Parson is slowly changing in appearance to adapt to Erfworld?
    His eyes turned red and I think he is getting smaller (at least, in height).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, he is changing.

Awesome Pennywise the Clown avatar made by Sneak
    Awesome Crimson King sigatar by Serpentine
    Awesome Randall Flagg sigatar by Tomb Raven

Avid fan of Stephen King

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Otaku View Post
    Seconded! He seems very brooding, though the desk with evil eyes helps
    Panels 3+4, desk and chair look like very unsafe working conditions to me...
    but they have bigger problems than redecorating right now
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

29. - Top - End - #29

I would have thought that the command and control system could only work with willing participants and that breaking a Thinkamancy spell with willing participants would not cause a backlash.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

You say that like units have a choice. This isn't the real world with free will here, it's a game. And all units follow orders, like it or not.