Default Again?

Zan looked at Matthew, confused.

"Is this one of those out of the blue questions you like to throw?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild HQ IC #2

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that Kyte brought Matthew up to ddate prior to the SPAM meeting that evening.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=67035&page=25

Matthew grins.

Matthew:
    Yeah, one of those questions.

It's just a hunch.

Well.... I'm still more worried about this cult "power" that may be little more than one guy grabbing talented children and indoctrinating them. Or maybe something much more sinister. I was sort of thinking of a sting operation.

What if we set up an act where a young woman opens up a portal and displays magical powers in a public place in Bridgeport? We do it using illusion - I think the sisters are illusionists too so we'd have perhaps three on hand. So we pull it off in a very public place where we have contacts -- I'm thinking that pub Dravick used to work at. Word gets out about the incident and then we just wait to see what vultures turn up.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"I don't know about this plan, where would we find a young woman to play the part of the portal creator? And even if we did find a suitable person, wouldn't we be putting her into harm's way with your hope that she gets noticed by this sinister vulture and he come to try to take her away?"
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

4. - Top - End - #124

Matthew:
    Well there are young women in the guild who could play the role -- that would probably be preferable to disguising someone else as a woman. But the role would require some acting.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A bit of a suggestion.

Zan smiled somewhat widely, feeling rarely michevous. "Dravick, are you a good actor?" He chuckled at a whisper into his hand, but sobered himself in a few moments. "Um, how exactly would we find a woman to do this? The only one is... well, Ana that we know and have good access to. Either that, or we could simply LOOK for somebody. Nobody in Keopara acts, as far as I know, so I'm sorry I can't help."
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2008-05-16 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Forgot the title!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

What 'bout Iva? Ana might not want to, she is very shy. s'far as illusions go, I can make some eerie mist. And make stuff glow, likes some gloves, as a torch, to make them seem magical.

7. - Top - End - #127

Default Still...

Zan was more serious this time, which may have been scary.
    "If you can make mist, are you sure we can't disguise Dravick?"

8. - Top - End - #128

Sorry no, Deception isn't exactly on St. Cuthbert's to-do list.

he laughs.

I thought Matthew here specialized in illusions. Is there an actor's guild in this town?

9. - Top - End - #129

Default Awww....

Zan hung his head.

"I guess we can always try something along the line of the actor's guild.... I simply didn't want to, well... you know, involve outside parties or have expenses on the guild."
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"I really don't think I'd look very good in a dress Zan."
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sharn

"Iva would be more than capable to fill this role, but I'm not comfortable using her as bait. I've already had to pull her back from the view of death once, and I'd not like to do it again if it can be helped. Also, our team is scheduled to leave for the seas shortly, so you'd have to wait."
    It is pitch black, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

GM of Narutod20's Team 7
    Sharn Vankessel, Cleric of Team Cougar

12. - Top - End - #132

Default So she's out?

Zan had a fist to his chin.
    "Fine, I agree... but, um, you see Iva won't be an option then? Augh..." Frustrated, he took a small sip of ale and coughed. "I retain most of my opinion in that, as, um... a last resort, isn't there a spell to change gender or something? And can we trust those two women we captured?"

13. - Top - End - #133

Marko

Marko slipped into the library and listened for a few minutes, asking Durx a couple of questions to catch up.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've read back a couple of pages to where I think this particular meeting started.

Seeing several opportunities align simultaneously, Marko said, "I'm not sure about the portal creation bit, but two of the three who kidnapped Kata said they were looking for someone who could 'do magic with her voice'. I think maybe those three should be brought from the Sampo to the guild for further questioning. And speaking of needing an actor, Kata said her band left for a bit, so she might be available, if she's willing." The gnomish sailor took a breath, then continued, "As far as Garl, I have to plead ignorance to specifics. I follow the Sea Lord, Ahto. Most of my people who go to sea follow Ahto, those who don't mostly follow Garl. That's about the limit of my knowledge."

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless, of course, Doc says otherwise...

14. - Top - End - #134

Matthew:
    That's an odd expression, "do magic with her voice". I mean almost all magic has a vocal component. Just about anyone who does magic does so with their voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm trying to recall if there is any physical resemblance between the various young ladies we have wandering around now. ie Klesha, Verona, Kata and Ana. I get the impression they are all pretty young but no particular resemblance otherwise except between the two sisters. But I'll try to check on that.

So Kata says she is not able to do this? Mistaken identity? Who among her kidnappers is alive and in your custody? Finde and the two fake town guards?

At any rate perhaps this woman, Kata, has been through enough with this first kidnapping to set her up for another attempt. I agree that Iva would be ideal; she's a professional performer. Well I don't think this idea can go ahead without her or someone similar so let's move on.

To Sharn:
    So you're going to try and intercept the Gnome high priest at sea. Is that ... it sounds like finding a needle in a haystack. I mean it's a big ocean. At any rate if you are leaving so soon someone else should deliver that note to the Obad-Hai church leadership. That should be a high priority. We can keep the translated version.

To Marko:
    Do you think the Cardinal would deliver the note?

15. - Top - End - #135

We are thinking of this too literally. Magic with your voice? I've heard singing that's been comparable to magic. It might mean a singer, or a practitioner of bard's magic.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2008-05-17 at 04:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by DavidByron View Post
    Matthew:
    That's an odd expression, "do magic with her voice". I mean almost all magic has a vocal component. Just about anyone who does magic does so with their voice.
    Marko
    "I agree, but it was their words, not mine."
    Matthew:
    So Kata says she is not able to do this? Mistaken identity? Who among her kidnappers is alive and in your custody? Finde and the two fake town guards?
    Marko
    "Yes, those three."
    Matthew:
    To Sharn:
    So you're going to try and intercept the Gnome high priest at sea. Is that ... it sounds like finding a needle in a haystack. I mean it's a big ocean. At any rate if you are leaving so soon someone else should deliver that note to the Obad-Hai church leadership. That should be a high priority. We can keep the translated version.

To Marko:
    Do you think the Cardinal would deliver the note?
    Marko
    "Finding a ship coming in to port isn't that tough, really. I'd have to ask Omoris if he'll deliver the note, but I fully intend to take the Sampo out to intercept my countrymen. If they're in danger, I can think of no faster way to clear my reputation," Marko said confidently. "Of course, I may need some petty cash to pay our crew. They've been on their best behavior the last two days, so I think we can trust them," he continued.

17. - Top - End - #137

Matthew:
    You have a crew!? How many guys are we talking about here? I take it these are the people Finde and the other two hired ... would they be prepared to fight do you know?

18. - Top - End - #138

Marko

"Of course we have a crew. Did you think I brought a river galley into port with a handful of landsmen? They surrendered after the vessel's master died and Omoris worked some of his magic. They say the master had no family, so I'm thinking that makes the ship ours. A crew makes it much easier to operate, and the one we have has sat still and shut up for two days straight now. I think that makes them trustworthy enough, and worth paying. Some of their fellows jumped overboard when we siezed the ship, so we could probably use a few more to round out their numbers," Marko said in an even tone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doc, did any of the jumpers come back? How big is the crew now?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't expect BD to check this thread, he stated officially to direct questions to him in pms

Quote Originally Posted by DavidByron

At any rate perhaps this woman, Kata, has been through enough with this first kidnapping to set her up for another attempt. I agree that Iva would be ideal; she's a professional performer. Well I don't think this idea can go ahead without her or someone similar so let's move on.
    Kyte

...It means Ana. Kyte thinks to himself, but as usual, he stays silent. At least until Matthew decides to wait on the woman Iva. Kyte thinks for a few moments, an idea forming in his mind, then speaks - interrupting the conversation about the boat.

"Iva is not an adventurer." He says shortly. "I can disguise myself instead. With your help." He says pointedly to Matthew.

20. - Top - End - #140

Matthew:
    I don't anticipate any fighting during the initial performance.

Spoiler
    Show
    We could probably do it in the HQ thread in fact.

The danger would come afterwards. Presumably if someone was trying to track down the mystery woman they'd start by talking to patrons and staff at the Empty Tankard. That's where Dravick's contacts would help. They could give false information and warn us that someone's been poking their nose around.

I'm afraid it's hard to disguise real objects or people magically. It's easier to make things appear out of nothing. I could disguise myself but only for about ten minutes. We'll have to ask Iva of course but I have no doubt about her ability to do the job.

21. - Top - End - #141

No one else supports m'theory that "Magic with your voice" means singing? I don't think Ana ever sings. She's incredibly shy.

22. - Top - End - #142

Matthew:
    Linda the seer had a vision of Ana singing, in a garden.

23. - Top - End - #143

Marko

"Durx, I wholeheartedly agree with your theory. They grabbed Kata, who's a singer, and at least among my people, those who can sing magic are held in high regard," Marko said.

24. - Top - End - #144

Default This is disturbing.

Zan had his head in both hands.

"Great, the image of Kyte in a dress is now ingrained into my mind. I'm not going t-to be able to sleep tonight."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

the young redhead finally pipes up.
    "you know, guys, I'M a Female..." She suggests beforemdeciding to draw a dagger and fiddle with it idily.
    She was sitting right in the room, how could they miss her? Plus, as an added bonus, she'd be able to defend herself if everything went wrong...
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kyte

"And you can disguise yourself?" Kyte asks, turning to Sheila. "It requires more than simply putting on a dress."

Spoiler
    Show
    You have to put on a funny hat
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-05-19 at 11:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Shiela: you know, guys, I'M a Female...
    Matthew, grinning:
    Gosh Shiela is right! She could very easily pass as a girl. Haha.

Sorry Shiela. I was thinking the role would call for projecting a certain amount of timidity and I never even thought of you. Hm. But you'd be known locally and I wouldn't want anyone going after your dad. We'd have to make you look a little different.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"I could help you disguise yourself Sheila. I think this plan is shaping up fairly well, and maybe we could get a lead as to the identity of this cult power."

Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"The biggest thing I could think of is my hair. Red Hair isn't exactly common. Maybe a hat or some black grease or something (or both) to conceal it." she suggests.
    "Of course, I'd need all the help I can get obsuring my face, but faking a different hair color should be enough to keep people from thinking the Tailor Line is involved."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

30. - Top - End - #150

Default Yay, masochism!

Zan paused, stiff as Shiela spoke up. He slowly turned to her, aghast at something...
    Are you kidding me? I missed... I missed such a blatant detail!?

Zan groaned and softly pressed the palm of his hand into his forehead several times, creating a soft smacking sound. "Stupid, stupid Zan." Once he had finished punishing himself, he quickly regained his composure and returned to his normal, timid voice.

"The only problem, and it is slight to add, that Shiela may have is that she doesn't give the illusion of being helpless or otherwise... well, um... everybody knows wh-what I'm getting at, right? It's not too much of a problem, maybe it doesn't even have to be taken care of. It's nice to know that she won't be in much danger either way."
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2008-05-20 at 08:22 PM.