New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default God, I'm mad at Wizards.

I was at Barnes and Noble today and I opened up a copy of Wizards presents: Races and Classes. I read through it and it all sounded pretty good. And then I remembered that stupid movie on the website about gnomes becoming monsters. So I found the part about why Gnomes are gonna be monsters, and it turned out that they did it because players 'didn't like the technological element they brought to the game.'
    [rant]
    So I kinda sorta get it, and then I turned the page... And saw a Warforged. I read the column and it said that 'players tend to like the technological aspect it brought to the game.'

What?

Gnomes were a hugely important race in my world. And they had just unveiled plans too build airships. Huge plot twist, considering that there were only two in the whole world before that moment. All that importance.

Gone. Because most players tended not to like the technological aspect. [/rant]

Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Oracle fanclub. To join put this into your sig and give yourself a title.

Court sorcerer of House Kato.

Tuna-preparer of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. I didn't.

Magioth made my avatar!

The SECOND member of the fanclub!!!

Sequinox

And the Dark Lord on his Dark Throneitp, where the shadows lie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: God, I'm mad at Wizards.

while i realize their are already many other threads on the topic, i must agree. My theory is that in WOW gnomes are a comedy relief and as WOW players are one of 4E target audiences, its focus upon everything being "cool" needs to cut gnomes out. They aren't big enough to hang out with the cool kids sadly
    from
    EE

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-01-26 at 11:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The real answer is they just can't get a particular use for gnomes out of their heads.
    But rather than making them taller or putting their mouths on their stomachs, they moved them out of thje spotlight.
    Since when are gnomes always techno-geeks, anyways? Since WoW geeks moved to DnD, that's when.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I thought it was back in 1st ed when Dragonlance came out. Tinker gnomes had so much more personality (for whatever reason) than "regular" gnomes. Then they moved that ingenuity to other campaign settings (the Realms, for example), and it just stuck. Makes sense, after a fashon; their mortal enemies, the kobolds, are master trapsmiths, so it helps to have the average gnome be technically minded.

Nobody I've played with ever played a gnome seriously, and usually dropped him after a short time. I won't miss them, and if I really want to play one, I'll bet I can backwards engineer one from MM 4.0.
    Why is it the best campaign ideas happen when you're sitting down to someone elses game?

Pun-Pun is an example of the worst case scenario. Never, ever, push your DM that far.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, which homophobic jerk in your life got onto your GitP account?

On topic, yeah, I was pretty disappointed by that no-gnome decree. I'm probably just going to stick with 3.5 though, and just look through 4 to see if I like it/would incorporate aspects of it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    WFT are you talking about?
    from
    EE
    As he is a bugbear in the playground, I'd say it isn't just a spam bot. I'd might risk to say that the account might have been hacked.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sequinox View Post
    So I kinda sorta get it, and then I turned the page... And saw a Warforged. I read the column and it said that 'players tend to like the technological aspect it brought to the game.'

What?
    From my brief times on the wizards forums, I got the impression that a lot of people tend to like the big physical bonuses at early levels, and how awesome it made their warblades.

I never heard anybody mention technology.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    As he is a bugbear in the playground, I'd say it isn't just a spam bot. I'd might risk to say that the account might have been hacked.
    Ah, poor man, i won't judge you dude
    from
    EE

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sequinox View Post

What?
    Could they just possibly bring different technological aspects to the game? "Gnomes as wacky tinkerers" = lame. Meanwhile, Warforged are interesting and great for exploring all sorts of identity issues (Identity Issues is basically the Eberron Race Theme).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    Could they just possibly bring different technological aspects to the game? "Gnomes as wacky tinkerers" = lame. Meanwhile, Warforged are interesting and great for exploring all sorts of identity issues (Identity Issues is basically the Eberron Race Theme).
    After Gnomes discovered the Theory of Relativity and it was asked if it could be made into a weapon. I'm too scared of gnomes and their "Cold dwomer fusion" to consider them "wacky."
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

meh, gnomes will be in the MM, and I can all but promise there will be rules for them as player characters.

I think the idea is that gnomes are quite often used as comic relief (not always, but enough to be relevant) and wizards doesn't want to force comic relief into a game. Apparently they have no problems with angst though, the only race more angsty then tieflings or warforged are drow.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey don't put down the Tieflings! They can't help it. Their ancestors made a pact with the god of rock and roll...

Hell-hound, hot leather on your legs
    That smokin powder keg
    You're riding on is hell-bound
    And you're the one they claim
    It's going down in flames
    You're riding Hades' rails (Hellion)

Hellion - The devil's Hellion child
    Hellion - will never have to die

Well child, you're sweatin' and you're stoned
    The alcohol you downed
    Makes you crazy-
    All night, you damn the hurt the pain
    Drink the devils rain
    Screaming out your name

The Gods you worship are steel
    At the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel
    A slave who forever rocks
    Is chained in the devil's locks
    And slain by the bloody axe I wail

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

More angsty then half-orcs?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Hey don't put down the Tieflings! They can't help it. Their ancestors made a pact with the god of rock and roll...
    You are quite obviously mistaken. Those are Aasimar because, as everyone knows, God Gave Rock N' Roll to You.

God gave rock and roll to you, gave rock and roll to you
    Put it in the soul of everyone
    Do you know what you want? you dont know for sure
    You dont feel right, you cant find a cure
    And youre gettin less than what youre lookin for

You dont have money or a fancy car
    And youre tired of wishin on a falling star
    You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar

Chorus:
    Gave rock and roll to everyone (oh yeah)
    Put it in the soul of everyone

Now listen
    If you wanna be a singer, or play guitar
    Man, you gotta sweat or you wont get far
    Cause its never too late to work nine-to-five

You can take a stand, or you can compromise
    You can work real hard or just fantasize
    But you dont start livin till you realize - I gotta tell ya!

Gave rock and roll to everyone
    Put it in the soul

(instrumental break)

God gave rock and roll to you (to everyone he gave the song to be sung)
    Gave rock and roll to you, gave rock and roll to everyone

God gave rock and roll to you (to everyone he gave the song to be sung)
    Gave rock and roll to you, saved rock and roll for everyone
    Saved rock and roll

Chorus repeats out...

I know life sometimes can get tough! and I know life sometimes can be a drag!
    But people, we have been given a gift, we have been given a road
    And that roads name is... rock and roll!

Why do you think Aasimar make such good bards?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

This is the problem with 4e. A good portion of the mechanics are done nicely IMO, but the fluff is just absurd. I remember someone (I think it was EE) saying that Races and Classes book said that the world would center around the PCs, and that interactions between NPCs that don't involve PCs shouldn't be important. And it appears that WotC has fallen in love with angsty emo people who are rejected by society. Just look at the absurd amount of social rejects there are. Half elves, half orcs, tieflings, warforged, sorcerers, etc. It's starting to annoy me.
    Awesome avatar by Threeshades. And the funny sig by sparkey477
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Don't forget Warlocks, Binders, and Evil Favored Souls.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Head View Post
    This is the problem with 4e. A good portion of the mechanics are done nicely IMO, but the fluff is just absurd. I remember someone (I think it was EE) saying that Races and Classes book said that the world would center around the PCs, and that interactions between NPCs that don't involve PCs shouldn't be important. And it appears that WotC has fallen in love with angsty emo people who are rejected by society. Just look at the absurd amount of social rejects there are. Half elves, half orcs, tieflings, warforged, sorcerers, etc. It's starting to annoy me.
    Didn't they dump support for Half Elves/Orcs? And, hm. I need to reread Eberron, sure, but weren't Warforged.. not outcasts?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

yep that was me

Oh as for Ansty emo people, um my folk, teenagers. We love angsy emo stuff, it helps us drown our pain of trying to come to terms with our massive insecurities and emotional/sexual/social frustrations. As we are easily distracted and have major crushes upon any "no body understands me" sort of characters and "trouble past" Drizzt clones anybody? We are also easily impressed by flashy power and techno mid evil worlds with video game aspects
    remember people, we walk a lonely road
    and don't you forget it

from
    EE
    Last edited by EvilElitest; 2008-01-27 at 12:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

This is the problem with 4e. A good portion of the mechanics are done nicely IMO, but the fluff is just absurd. I remember someone (I think it was EE) saying that Races and Classes book said that the world would center around the PCs, and that interactions between NPCs that don't involve PCs shouldn't be important.
    The world doesn't center around the PCs, the game does. Because they're playing. Interactions between NPCs obviously don't need to be resolved via mechanics that are as detailed as those involving PCs. You can just decide who wins the offscreen battle, you don't need to roll it out.

And it appears that WotC has fallen in love with angsty emo people who are rejected by society. Just look at the absurd amount of social rejects there are. Half elves, half orcs, tieflings, warforged, sorcerers, etc. It's starting to annoy me.
    What? Half-orcs are gone from the 4E PHB. Warforged aren't "angst social rejects", and neither are sorcerers. Tieflings are less angsty than they used to be.
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-01-26 at 11:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    You are quite obviously mistaken. Those are Aasimar because, as everyone knows, God Gave Rock N' Roll to You.
    Well played.

You are of course, correct. It turns out that Tieflings are the Devil's Hellion children.

Websense is preventing me from seeing EE's link...I hope it's not what I think it is...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    The world doesn't center around the PCs, the game does. Because they're playing. Interactions between NPCs obviously don't need to be resolved via mechanics that are as detailed as those involving PCs. You can just decide who wins the offscreen battle, you don't need to roll it out.
    The story should revolve around the PCs, but the PCs shouldn't be innately better than the NPCs, that runs like a video game.
    What? Half-orcs are gone from the 4E PHB. Warforged aren't "angst social rejects", and neither are sorcerers. Tieflings are less angsty than they used to be.
    1. Yeah half orcs are gone it seems, but i'm not quite sure
    2. Warforge? Are you kidding me?
    "I am I machanical constroction, misunderstood and neglected by my masters. now without a purpose, i must walk this lonely road hoping to find accept and my place in life" Granted better handled than some but still
    3. Ummmm, you kidding me on the tieflings right? "They are a forsaken people"? Direct quote concerning them? Yeah. they are even discribed as
    "Bad boys of D&D" and wear leather for god's sake

Websense is preventing me from seeing EE's link...I hope it's not what I think it is...
    It most likely is, what do you fear?
    from
    EE

23. - Top - End - #23
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Recheck your link, EE. It sends me to the Wikipedia definition of HTTP... that's after I fix it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZoYyN0exRw
    Think I got it to work.

Edit:
    Though I think I would have gone with:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTiwCez6Zs
    Last edited by horseboy; 2008-01-27 at 12:04 AM.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZoYyN0exRw
    Think I got it to work.

Edit:
    Though I think I would have gone with:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTiwCez6Zs
    Us teens walk a lonely road, the only road that we will ever know if we keep this up
    from
    EE

26. - Top - End - #26

sorry for the above post it was a friend on(the risk of staying logged in)

But I always liked the Idea of gnome inventors, and mad at them being cut from the players handbook
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but you're no Half-Orc.
    One parent was a victim of rape, the other a horrible monster. Your existance would serve as a constant reminder of the remaining parents rape, and as such they'd despise you. Living on the streets, detested by all...

And what do you get in return? Darkvision and +2 strength. Even Tieflings get cool things for being horrible freaks against nature.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I like the idea of gnomes as being crazy inventors. The odd thing, I think, is that their favored race is bard. It doesn't make sense that a bard would be a crazy inventor...unless he was inventing crazy musical instruments.

Anyway, I'm playing a Chaotic Neutral gnome bard in a campaign right now. He's the party's face most of the time, and also seems to hold all the knowledge for the group. He also likes money.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Recheck your link, EE. It sends me to the Wikipedia definition of HTTP... that's after I fix it.
    Fixed now, sorry
    from
    EE

30. - Top - End - #30

And it appears that WotC has fallen in love with angsty emo people who are rejected by society. Just look at the absurd amount of social rejects there are. Half elves, half orcs, tieflings, warforged, sorcerers, etc. It's starting to annoy me.
    Social rejects like adventurers?