The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Stupid Newb question about Extend Spell.

I've been playing 3.5 for years and i'm still having to ask simple questions :)

How does Extend Spell interact with spells what have a listed maximum duration?

For example, the spell lesser vigor (Spell Compendium, pg 229) has a listed duration of "10 rounds +1 round/level [max 15 rounds]". Would an extended lesser vigor spell cast by a 3rd-level druid have a duration of 26 rounds, or 15?
    Last edited by EarthTremor; 2008-01-27 at 08:17 AM. Reason: forgot to insert page number :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Stupid Newb question about Extend Spell.

I believe that there's a Sage Advice or FAQ entry out there that states Extend Spell cannot extend the duration past the listed maximum. I'd have to do a lot of digging around to find the exact entry, though. Especially if it's not in the FAQ and in Sage Advice instead.

Personally, I think that's silly. By the same logic then, why should Extend Spell work on spells with fixed durations? The whole point of the feat is to make the spell last longer than the listed duration.
    [hr]EDIT: Okay, it is in the FAQ:
    Quote Originally Posted by Main 3.5 FAQ, Revision 10/19/2007, p. 44
    The vigor series of spells (found in Complete Divine) raise an interesting question. Does the built-in maximum duration of each spell limitation override the effect of the Extend Spell feat?

Yes. Extend Spell still increases the spell’s duration, but only up to the spell’s listed maximum duration. Use either the normal maximum duration or the doubled duration, whichever is less. If a 7th-level druid used Extend Spell on her vigor spell, the duration could not increase beyond 25 rounds.
    Also of note:

Quote Originally Posted by Main 3.5 FAQ, Revision 10/19/2007, p. 87
    The mass lesser vigor spell has a fixed range (of 20 feet), which makes it eligible for the revised Persistent Spell feat in Player’s Guide to Faerûn. Does that mean a 17th-level druid could use a 9th-level spell slot to give nine creatures fast healing 1 for 24 hours, or does the built-in limit of 25 rounds make that pointless?

Unlike Extend Spell, Persistent Spell replaces a spell’s normal duration with a new duration of 24 hours. In this case, the effect overrides the normal maximum duration of the spell, so it would indeed grant nine creatures fast healing 1 for 24 hours (a pretty reasonable effect for a 9th-level spell).
    At least this time the FAQ is consistent. Not logically, really, but insofar as the Sage actually remembered a potential point of contradiction and is ready to make a special exception.

I still think it's stupid.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2008-01-27 at 08:32 AM.
    The Future just ainít what it used to be.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

It is in the FAQ and I agree with Shhahahahahalahr Windrider.

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    The vigor series of spells (found in Complete Divine)
    raise an interesting question. Does the built-in maximum
    duration of each spell limitation override the effect of the
    Extend Spell feat?

Yes. Extend Spell still increases the spellís duration, but
    only up to the spellís listed maximum duration. Use either the
    normal maximum duration or the doubled duration, whichever
    is less. If a 7th-level druid used Extend Spell on her vigor spell,
    the duration could not increase beyond 25 rounds.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    Shhahahahahalahr Windrider.
    This made me giggle, because I always have to cut & paste his name for just this reason.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"