New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LitD [IC]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default LitD [IC]

This thread will be for the players from the Lost in the Depths game that is moving to this forum. Please do not post here without permission from the DM. (that's me.) Thank You.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Toir - In Drawn into Ravenloft
    Mirahako - In Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: LitD [IC]

-new players-

As you all go about your daily lives there is one thing you all share in common. As you are going about your day you are surrounded by an eerie feeling and then swallowed up by what you can only describe as a magical force that envelops you completely. You feel yourselves slowly sinking into a tangible fog that saps your strength and leaves you feeling alone, vulnerable, and trapped. You are held imobile and a feeling of uncertainty and dread fills you as your body and mind are left suspended in the darkness and void for an inditerminate amount of time.

-Fethen-

As you and the others make your way back to the site of your arival you once again feel the ground begin to tremble. As you arive back in the midst of the stone sentinels you notice that there are 3 new statues standing in the midst of the others. As you all approach the new arrivals Habadur speaks a word of warning which is quickly swept aside as Mordun steps up and gingerly places a hand on the statue.

The greyness extends into his flesh and he grimaces in pain as the greyness continues to climb up his arm. Unlike before however the substance does not stop and as Mordun watches in horror and bewilderment he is once again encased in the stone.

Even more suprising is Barius and Enterinon's reaction. They study the Dwarf closely and Barius takes the time to inspect Etta removing her from the bag he had been carrying. As he places his hands on her lifeless form, another anomaly occurs. While he had seemed immune before to placing his hands on her statue he now recoils in shock and pain as merely touching her brings a flare of light from the statue. His hope renewed he quickly grasps the statue tightly in an embrace and while there is a slight renewal of her coloration she still lays dormant in his arms as his life force ebs away leaving his skin pale and lifeless. Even as the last of his energy fades away he is whispering Etta's name and telling her not to be afraid, comforting her with his last breath.

Habadur rushes in to attempt to pry Barius free and is quickly caught in the same force that entraps him although the affect seems to claim him more slowly than it had claimed Barius he staggers away contaminated by the close contact with Barius and Etta's statue. Stumbling towards Fethen first his feet and then his torso are consumed by the dull grey shade that has become much too familiar in the last few and first few hours you have spent in this portion of the chamber.

The only remaining member of your band is Lialei. She remains standing in front of one of the newly arrived statues. She whispers a name you do not recognise, and reaches out to brush her fingers against the pale cheek of one of the newly arrived statues. Touching her fingers to her own lips and clearly in pain as the others were at the slightest touch of the statues she nods her head in determination. And as though everyone around you had been gripped in some sort of wierd massochistic tendancy she reaches out to take a firm hold of the statue in front of her. Not releasing her grip until the statue in front of her flares to life and her own arm is left useless and grey as the stone of the statues of the new arrivals, two of whom seem to have slowly come to life.

The statue Mordun approached seems to be another dwarf who has regained some mobility and stumbles forward falling onto his beard. His armor and all of his belongings glow and shine in the radiant light of the torch in Fethen's hand.

The human released from the statue Lialei was grasping seems to blink as he stares into Lialeis features as though blinking away the affects of a long nights sleep, filled with nightmares and horrific images.

As silence once again claims the cavern and a horrible sense of silence and finality follow you are left surveying the dramatic scene unfolding between the partially 'unthawed' human druid and Lialei as a meaningful gaze passes between them. "I have failed in my mission of scouting out a suitable place for you and your followers. The fire nearly overwhelmed me." Lialei says tiredly.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so enter the new adventurers... C i have you on hold for a bit but hopefully only long enough to get your chracter sorted out.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn! I was ready to post! Ah, well. No worries, Timaoh. You're going out on a limb as it is. Thank you for all your effort putting this together so promptly. I still have to give you my backstory so it's OK. If you want to wait for that, I'll have it up by the end of the day (promise), maybe it will make your sorting out of Markus a bit easier. One thing I can advance for now, he is not too fond of elves, and I'll explain why
    "The sage rules by emptying hearts and stuffing bellies, weakening ambitions and strengthening bones..." ---Daodejing

"Few things exist that are as deafening as silence" --- Mario Benedetti

"You can't predict what happens in life, but that's no reason to retreat from it" --- Rikus, to Sadira, in "The Cerulean Storm"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thoric Yells 'Ouch!!' As he stumbles upon his beard. Looking about the room he
    sees the other characters he starts to ask 'How did all yea get ...' His voice trailing off as he realizes he is no longer at him home in the Orc Range Mountains. 'Were in the nine hells be I? If this be some Orge sorcery, there be a few heads rolling today.'

Pulling his axe into the ready position he begins scanning the room, as looking for something split in two. Seeing the statue of Mordun he says 'This statue looks so life like I swear it could be me cousin Mordun.' He continues to examine the statue with keen interest.
    Last edited by Thalmor; 2008-01-29 at 01:16 PM.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thornvile Visit my City, and get your own started.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

A youngish human man stands outside the little area of statues coming to life. Completely average but of decent build and looking well used/traveled. He is dressed in light travelers leathers and looks a bit ruffled. A back pack brimming with stuff, and a crossbow seem to be in his hands. He also wears a vest covered in pockets, to which the crossbow is lanyarded.

Floating along next to him is a torch, it seems to move as if carrie dby something.

He stands there agape for a moments as the others that woke with him trade their lives for other. As the dwarf speaks the words about his cousin he seems to come back to himself. Astounding! There seems to be an increased rate at which this anomaly is catching people.

And yes that dwarven statue was once a dwarf named Mordun. Probably your cousin from the sounds of it.
    Fethen humbles a moment He is a good person, and saved my life. I think he meant to save yours too.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Drake looked around at the room he had awoken in, it was strange, familliar, yet alien to him. 'Where am I? I've never heard of such a place as this in my travels.' Noting the statues in the room, and the other three people in the room he slid back seeing the human.

'Ogre Magic? Surely this couldnt be an ogre's doing, what would an ogre have to gain from whatever has just happened here?' Thinking to himself and listening intently to whatever the others said next, the connection between the dwarf and the dwarf statue was undeniable yet undetermined.

Waiting for whatever events were to unfold before him, maybe he would learn somehting of what happened to him and why he was here instead of home in the forests of east Nogaden.
    Last edited by Tynuth; 2008-01-30 at 05:34 PM.
    "They say i have ADD, but they just don't understand. Oh, look! A chicken!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Lialei, it is I who have failed you..."

A young male human emerges from the statue. A crown of stag antlers resting upon his head. He wears little more than armor made from the hide of animals. Holding himself up from the shock of it all by leaning on his quarterstaff and he has a longbow placed over his shoulder.

From behind him another smaller statue changes into a silver haired wolf. The wolf slowly moves to him and rubs its head against the man's leg.
    "Where is this place that we have emerged, Celebgul?" speaking to the wolf...
    The man looks up, looks around and sees the others around.
    "I am Glade, son of Horus, Seeker of Last Lake, and protector of animal and those who I travel beside. Who are you all who seem as awestruck as I?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

8. - Top - End - #8

Fethen

Well then this is disconcerting at the least. I am Fethen, I too was trapped here. I will tell you my story after everyone is awake, and fully functional." Fethen takes off his back pack and sits down on it after retrieving a well thumbed notebook. He looks at the others flipping through his notebook.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aye, that sounds like him, always trying to help. Thoric seems to relax a bit.

Me name be Thoric, I be the leader of a Dwarven Milita that operates in the Orc Range Mountains. As for this being Ogre Magic you maybe right. As he glances in Drakes direction. However I have spent many years fighting an alliance of Orcs and Ogres. So they would have much to gain by removing me from the area.

Well met Fethen and Glade.
    Nodding to each in turn.

Lets hear you story Fethen.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Fethen

I had been studying a magical anomaly with great interest for some time. This anomaly was making people disappear at certain intervals. During the course of trying to witness one of these happenings in action, I was caught up in it. Trapped here as a statue.

Mordun
    Fethen indicates the dwarven statue motioned earlier, woke me from my petrified state. He did this by touching me and breaking the necromantic energy loop that feeds the effect. This effect feeds off a subject’s life force keeping them in a petrified state, all while transporting them here for some reason. Why? I can’t answer that yet.

Fethen looks tired and somewhat haunted We traveled some, exploring the area a little bit. We ran into a bit of trouble with a phantom fungus, over there Fethen points off in a direction, North? After that we explored some more before trying to camp for the night. That was last night,

I think. We discovered that this place invades your dreams if you sleep here. Fortunately I have a spell that creates a small pocket dimension for sleeping in. I will be able to extend the life of it to 9 hours this evening so that I can sleep the whole night, all of us in fact. But I digress…

After nearly sleepless period of rest we traveled back to here to see if any more statues had arrived. You had. One strange thing about all of this is that when they touched the new statues, yourselves, they we engulfed and re-petrified.

Fethen turns the pages of his note book showing them a sketched map of the discovered area. Indicating a certain spot marked with a keyhole he continues At this location we found several smaller defensible sub caverns, and a huge metal door. I cannot identify the crafters for the work is amazingly intricate and expansive at the same time.

So that is what is going on, welcome to subterranean hell.

When he stops the age and exhaustion seems to seep out of him. He looks at everyone else waiting.

Spoiler
    Show

If anyone jumps, or attacks, etc. toward him he will teleport 10ft away as a swift action.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Fethen, it seems as though you have been through very much and that soon we too shall all be weary. Do you need sleep now or healing of any kind? I will offer you all the aid that I can."

"This here is my closest friend and companion, Celebgul, named in elvish for his silver hair. He can help watch over us while we seek to find our way through this dilemma. Do not worry he is a kind heart and a friend to all who show him no malice."

There is a distance in the Glade's eyes but, a sincerity within his voice. He is trying to be as strong as he can with this instantaneous change of scenery. Glade turns to the dwarf and kindly asks:
    "Good Dwarf, did you know much of your cousin or if he had been missing?"
    Last edited by EloquentRune; 2008-01-30 at 03:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

12. - Top - End - #12

Fethen

Fethen looks at Glade, thankfulness plain on his face No, I am just weary from the last day or so. I do not even know what day it is.

I do know that there are rumblings in this place that shake its foundations. When they happen pieces of the ceiling fall, pebbles only that I've experienced so far. But that can only mean the structure of this place is weakening. I think we need to find th source of this magic, and stop it if we can. These others still need out help to survive their imprisonment here.
    Fethen sweeps his arm indicating the throngs of statues that surround them.

He stands, mildly refreshed from dumping his worrisome load off of his mind. I am physically fine, and have just recently woken from a broken sleep. I have been through worse, it is almost as bad as finals week at the University. He cracks a small smile at a memory that fleetingly crosses his mind.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Drake
    "Truely this is the most disturbing and stange place I have ever seen, and the facts behind it that you have told us now only serve me make it more so." Pauses for a moment as if to think what course of action could be taken.

"I agree with you Fethen, we need to find the source or cause of the magic to this place, end it or alter it in some way so that we can all leave this place." Drake moves to sit opposite Fethen a few feet away holding his chin as if in deep thought.

Drake sits up realizing he hadn't introduced himself as of yet and dropped his arm back down to his lap. "You'll have to forgive me, my name is Drake, usually I introduce myself sooner, but as we can all agree, these circumstances are not usual."
    Last edited by Tynuth; 2008-01-30 at 05:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Turning to glade, It been years since I last saw him, the grand opening of our new mine it was, so I did not know he was even missing.

Thoric pauses for a moment, before continuing. Aye, Drake these circumstances are most unusual. I don't know much about magic, but when it comes to cracking a few skulls, now there I can offer some expertise. Pounding his fist into his hand for emphasis.

Scratching his beard Thoric says. Me Thinks, resting in the prudent corse of action at the moment. How does the pocket dimension thing of yours work. Thoric cringes at the thought of getting stuck in the pocket dimension.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well met, all of you." Glade a bit relieved at the introductions of the variety of companions that it seems he shall now be traveling with.

"I too am interested in the pocket dimension that you can create. I am not familiar with that kind of magic."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

16. - Top - End - #16

Fethen

Fethen stands and pulling out some rope and something from a pouch at his waist he begins to cast a simple spell. Rising into the air in front of him, one knotted end of the rope climbs up and seems to dissappear into the air. The rest of the rope hangs outside, still suspended from seeminly nothing.

Fethen finishes and grabs the rope and shoulders his pack. He says pointing a finger at his torch Up the rope after me. and then begins to climb. After a moment his head and then shoulders dissappear into the air(?), almost as if he climbed through the window of an invisible building. A moment later the torch pops out followed by Fethen's head and shoulders. Come on up, its perfectly safe.

As you climb up and in you enter a flat, area that is featureless except for what you and Fethen have brought in. Roughly circular and gray in color there should be enough room for easily 8 creatures to rest in comfort. You can see out through the window you just crawled through.

Spoiler
    Show

Inside the (Extended to 9hrs) rope trick Fethen is having his Unseen Servant set up his bedroll.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glade impressed by the display follows up after Fethen to look into what he created.

"This trick of yours must be quite helpful. I can see many practical uses for it. However..." Glade looks out the opening of the pocket dimension and saw that his companion would have a slight problem with this. Glade climbed back down the rope.

"Celebgul," He reached out and stroked the wolf's head, "you are to stay at this rope and stand guard. Rest and if anything comes I know that you shall warn me."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thoric grumbles to himself, Aye, I guess I best join everybody. As he climbs the rope, and finds himself a comfortable place to sleep.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Fethen

Fethen looks to Glade, Oh, I'm sorry. I had not thought about your friend. Next time I will make it lower to the ground. Would he object to being raised up here?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Drake
    Drake looks up as he climbs the oddity of a rope to nowhere and makes himself comfortable in the strange pockent dimension. "Very curious design..." Drake says absentmindedly as he touches the edge of the portal around the rope, examining it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It would be fine if you raise him into safety, but I believe he would wish to stand guard at the entrance no matter where he is on this rest. He has a very keen scent and is uncertain about this place."

Glade climbs back up the rope and into the unseen window.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

22. - Top - End - #22

Fethen

You can decide how you wish, I know it will not be restful for him out there. If he is raised up he can sleep just inside the window, it matters not to me. After that Fethen drops the matter.

Fethen looks around the small pocket dimension and walks to an unclaimed area. Dropping his pack and leaning against it. He instructs his Unseen Servant to hold the everburning torch Fethen begins to read and make notes in the note book he was showing you earlier. After a short while he begins to nod off. After head bobbing for a short bit he packs it up and rolls out his sleeping bag. Soon after he is fast asleep.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

After considering it Glade managed to get Celebgul into the window and then found an open spot to rest. Glade then falls asleep beside his animal friend.
    Last edited by EloquentRune; 2008-02-01 at 08:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

You all sleep soundly throughout the night. No dreams or rogue thought's plague your minds as before. Whether magical protection or the use of the rope trick is responsible remains to be seen.

As you emerge from the rift created between dimensions in the form of a window and climb down the rope you all imediately notice the pressence of a new statued form standing within 5 ft of where you climbed up the night before. (Enter C.) The others remain where they were largely untouched. There is something that does not seem quite right although you cannot place your finger on it something seems to be missing. (spot checks anyone? DC:26)
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Climbing down the rope, Drake looks around and notices a statue that wasn't there before. (Spot Check: 13 + 9)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glade wakes from the restful sleep he climbs down the rope and Celebgul leaps down after him.

He looks around and sees that a new statue appeared while they slept.
    He speaks aloud to himself.
    "Does this place need something from us so it calls us forth or is it that we are being punished for something we have or have yet to do? I truly wish to find my way out of this place, but until then I shall seek to learn all that I can about it."

As the other wake from their sleep he states, "I do believe that we should continue what you were doing Fethen, maybe we should seek to claim a key to the door you spoke of. Who knows what answers might be just beyond its portal. What do the rest of you think?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check (1d20+8)[22]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aye, There be another one here. Pointing at the new statue in the room. Thoric glances around the room to see what else he can see.

Spot> (1d20+1)[6](7)
    Last edited by Thalmor; 2008-02-01 at 10:52 AM.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Fethen

Fethen wakes chipper and refreshed. He eats a small amount of his rations and sits and studies a slim volume that he pulls from within his shirt.
    -OOC Prepping Spells, same listed on Char sheet-

After that he is the last to climb out of the Rope Trick and catches the rope as ir release from the pocket dimension. He coils it up as the others are inspecting the new statue. After packing that away he walks to the others and looks closely at the new statue.

Well, it looks like another has arrived. Maybe I can awaken him. If I petrify then do not try to save me. The rules of this place may have changed I am unsure. If I do petrify, what ever controls this place no longer wishes andy of the previous group that I traveled with to be awake. You will neeed to carry on. He sets his back pack down and shakes his hands free of his cuffs.

Stepping close to the statue he prepares himself for pain and grasps the statue.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

The stonework of the statues standing around you is masterful, even the irregularities of life and subtle flaws of humanity are conveyed precisely. There is no sign of natural flaw in the stonework or any variation in colouring of the stone except where it might be expected to contrast skin, hair, and clothing. You almost expect a breeze to ruffle their hair and clothing so still and lifelike they appear. Even in all the dwarven lands there has never been such splendid masonry as what lays before you. The hands that carved it must be masterful in their precision and dexterity to lovingly carve such supple creations. If it were natural. You know, they are not!

Spoiler
    Show
    SPOT DC -15: As you gaze about the room you notice that there are row upon row of statues in a dizzying array of poses and from all the races you have seen, even some you have not. The statues nearest you seem pristine and unaged although there are others within the room that have been affected by time or other unfortunate circumstances. Missing limbs and even shattered remains of some statues liter the floor of the enormous cavern.

LISTEN DC - 15: Although unnoticable at first in the silence of the chamber over the sound of your own rapid breathing. Soon you become accustomed to your own sounds and the rhythm of your heart and are able to notice other similar sounds nearby. Faint rhythms that are almost undetectable.

Fethen
    Spoiler
    Show

Standing alone and uncertain in the darkness you feel your hand growing cold where you touched the statue. Then you notice with fascination as the statue's arm regains some of it's lost colour. The grey slowly fading from where it was touched, as you remove your hand the colour slowly fades leaving stone in it's place once again. At the same time your own hand turns pale and grey leaving a terrible pain in it's place.

As Fethen grasps the statue firmly his prolonged contact returns more life to the statue until it is finally able to move of it's own accord. Fethen falls lifeless to the stone at the feet of the statue as laundry pulled from the clothesline might on a still day. Lying there crumpled in an uncomfortable position a slight moan escapes his lips.
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-02-01 at 04:03 PM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

"<insert elven cuss word here>!, Fethen!"

Glade rushes over to his side and places his hand upon Fethen's chest. Glade lifts his own face to the ceiling, closes his eyes and whispers aloud an incantation that has a relaxing tone to it. The hand laying upon Fethen's chest glows a soft green and an energy transfers between them.

Cure moderate wounds:
    (2d8+6)[19]

"Is that any better?" He asks as he knows the healing has taken effect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael