New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Sleepy (Selfish Rant)

*Yawn*

So here's the deal. I've been very sleepy recently. The weird part is my body isn't tired at all. I feel able to do any physical activity that I'd normally be able to do at full capacity. I just can't concentrate. The reason is it is the same feeling that I have right before I go to sleep. It's like there is this fog in my head that makes it impossible to do any real mental work. I've been staying out of school Friday and Monday. I've had a few projects and I'm completely unable to do any work on them.

Anyway, I'm just saying. Anyone have any tips? Getting more sleep I've done... I got 15 hours on Saturday, on Sunday I got 12, and today I got 14. I'm having a ton of trouble getting work done and sadly this is a very busy time for me.
    The GitP WarCraft III The Frozen Throne Group: USEast(Azeroth), channel op GitP, 4 PM EST Friday
    The GitP StarCraft BroodWar Group: USEast, channel op GitP, 5 PM EST Saturday

http://apina.biz/11996.jpg

Dr. Bath has created a masterpiece... I call it my avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Sleepy (Selfish Rant)

welcome to my world. I can still do whatever I need physically but mentally, im constantly tired. I actually got sent out of machining class today for nodding off while working at a lathe.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Exercise. Get adrenaline flowing. It sharpens your mind for a bit.

Also, do you happen to be depressed? Bad moods make you tired.

And, lastly, winter will do that to you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kick start with a sugar rush. This actually usually works for me, chocolate gives me a boost and then I can usually maintain it once Im active.

5. - Top - End - #5

First, I'd stop sleeping that much at one time if I were you. Studies show that the more you sleep, the more tired you are. Personally, I'd set an alarm for only 8 hours of sleep, and force yourself to get up when it rings.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

6. - Top - End - #6

DON'T SLEEP SO MUCH!

Seriously, your body doesn't need that much sleep. 7-9 hours is plenty for most people. So, get to bed (and wake up at) a reasonable time so that you don't end up sleeping half your day away. When your up, take some time and go outside, exercise, get your body and mind active and you'll find that you have a lot more energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Baerdog: super genius.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

what hours do you go to sleep? I had the same issue, turns out my brain wants to be active 6 hours off people's normal schedules. you may just be a night owl, or a teenager.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Sugar may be a bad idea due to how it would result in a quick rush followed by a drop-off for most people, so slow-release carbs are a better idea. What sort of things do you usually eat? Nutrition may have an effect on your tiredness.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall View Post
    Exercise. Get adrenaline flowing. It sharpens your mind for a bit.

Also, do you happen to be depressed? Bad moods make you tired.

And, lastly, winter will do that to you.
    And how should I do that? I dont own any exercise equipment and its not worth getting shot while trying to jog thru my neighborhood. Not to mention that its been around 5 degrees Farenheit for the past week.

As far as staying awake theres just nothing to do. TV sucks anymore, all except one of my friends went to private schools this year (the one staying here is grounded). The list goes on.

{P.S. To the people who say to read something...Bring me something that doesn't suck.}

On the topic of sugar/caffine, I dont get that much other than a couple glasses of Coke a day.
    Last edited by BizzaroStormy; 2008-01-29 at 04:34 AM.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yeah, I hate when that happens to me, it mostly happens in the Winter, or when i have a cold coming/haveone. Vile things.

My husband is absurdly tired if he doesn't get atleast 11 hours of sleep a day, I tryed to get him not to sleep so much, but he couldn't do anything but walk around like a zombie.

Personally, I think everyone's body is differnt more so then most peaple think. Like if i don't get atleast some sugar by noon i'm done. I'll just go to bed and be done with it. But if i get that sugar, i'm good till midnight, and can wake up at 3:00 am, ready to get the next day going.

Then again, we are just to oddballs i guess....or i'm a vampire sucking hte life out of him....

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

11. - Top - End - #11

I only ever get tired when bored. I'm not even tired when I do get to sleep. I try not to, but I have easily pulled all-nighters. It's like I'm an elf or something.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

If you're not drinking eight glasses of water a day, then thats your problem. Fix it. Drinking coke (or any non-water beverage (yes, this includes gravy)) consistently, even just once a day, is bad. Drink water. Lots of water. Even when you dont want to, especially when you dont want to.

And you'll have to wait for my book to come out for non-sucky reading...
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

13. - Top - End - #13

Wow, lots of advice.

Thanks everyone. I'll do my best to apply it. As to my diet: (I think that was the only question asked) I eat fine. Mostly fruits and veggies. Occasionally I eat some chicken for meaty goodness.
    The GitP WarCraft III The Frozen Throne Group: USEast(Azeroth), channel op GitP, 4 PM EST Friday
    The GitP StarCraft BroodWar Group: USEast, channel op GitP, 5 PM EST Saturday

http://apina.biz/11996.jpg

Dr. Bath has created a masterpiece... I call it my avatar.

14. - Top - End - #14

The "eight glasses of water" thing is a myth. There's no scientific proof at all for that common claim.

I've noticed when I eat healthier and excersize more, I have more energy overall. Maybe that would work for you?

Shame on us
    For all we've done
    And all we ever were
    Just zeros and ones

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Water itself I'll drink one, maybe two glasses per day. A canteen of tea in the mornings, milk/soda with lunch and dinner, and I'm good to go. I'll cast my vote in with the myth as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmm Perhaps it might be worthwhile getting a blood test? Not to be all hypocondriac an all that, but it could be an underlying medical condition. Constant lethargy could be any number of things (and I don't want to scare you with the serious ones). If the exercise (do pushups, situps, star jumps and squat thrusts if you can't run around outside) doesn't sort you out it may be worth looking into.

JAGG
    Jondar in Winding Roads

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Get up early. Every time I get up late, I'm a wreck all day.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    Water itself I'll drink one, maybe two glasses per day. A canteen of tea in the mornings, milk/soda with lunch and dinner, and I'm good to go. I'll cast my vote in with the myth as well.
    the united states military doesn't think so and look what those guys can do.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

19. - Top - End - #19

You should get a perscription for a medicine called Stratera. It keeps you attentive, and unlike Ridalin it has no side effects.

I make avatars. PM if you want one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingchan View Post
    BTW, you rock. AWESOME. I shall forever worship the name Jason Doomsblade.
    Quote Originally Posted by insecure View Post
    That's perfect! All hail the mighty Jason Doomsblade.

20. - Top - End - #20

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

I've always thought there are too many drugs for too many things. My recommendation has already been posted; you are sleeping too much. Forcing yourself to get up after a full 7.5 or 8 hours is a good plan; that will give you some equilibrium/balance in your life. If you have "nothing to do" when you wake up that early, then find something. Get an early morning or after (school/work/whatever) job; go to the gym, get a bicycle, play football or something

it takes some time getting used to, but once your body and muscle memory gets associated to the same routine; you will feel 100x better.

Also, being active is an awesome way to get un-depressed.
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show