New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The World of Athema (IC)

Hekesh

Hekesh grasps Bresk's forearm, in such a way that his forearm is also in the lizardman's hand.
    Interesting. I did not expect his scales to be so warm.
    "Greetings, sirs."
    Realeasing his grasp, he turns to his former comrade.
    "Miyuki, I'm afraid I have grave news, which is what has brought me this far. Khaldun has been taken. I am trying to find him."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sage

The gnome's voice rises nearly a full octive as he peers at the wand curiously and says, "Faaascinating..." He pauses for a moment in thought and continues, his words coming so fast that they nearly run together. "I never thought about how the taverns back home chilled their drinks, but now that I do, there are a lot of ways to approach it. Simple ice is the easiest solution, but it only lasts so long and waters down the drink in the process. If a wand like that can be made cheaply, it would provide a much better solution in every way, but most wands run out of charges far to quickly to be used like this. A wand that can use the spell infinitely would probably be quite expensive; even if the power needed to cast the spell is small, the energy has to come from somewhere so it'd have to have some way to recharge, and that would be quite costly in any conceivable method I can think of." At this point, his face is beginning to turn a shade somewhat similar to his blue tunic, and he pauses to take a deep breath. He seems to still be deep in thought as he shrugs off his haversack and sets it on the stool next to him. He opens it up, and immediately on top is a vial of a blue substance that glows gently. "Hrm..." He gazes at the flask contemplatively and puts his index finger against the treated glass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Naturally, the flask on the top is his single dose of Alchemist's Ice. Questions to answer--

Does any of the ice's coolness come through the glass?
    How long will Alchemist's Ice stay cold under standard conditions?
    What will happen if it's immersed in a liquid?

It should be painfully obvious what Sage is thinking here. Checks to what he knows follows (I'm assuming a Craft check would be relevant for determining the properties of relivant creations):
    Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+11=12) (FSCK!)
    Craft (Alchemy): (1d20+11=13)(FSCK!!)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sage:

The young barkeep stands, slack jawed, at the rapid-fire logic that Sage puts forth.

"Um...well..." is all he manages. He looks at Kilbain and Paggan, as if confused as to what to say. "I...suppose...." he adds.

The Alchemists' Ice vial does not feel any different than a normal vial. Sage's training in it's construction reminds him that its activation requires two things: violent motion and exposure to air. The icy effects are quite instantaneous, with no lingering side effects that he recalls.

It's unclear to Sage how someone could accomplish such a feat as crafting a wand that didn't do much.

But then it comes to him. Prestidigitation! The lowliest of cantrips. That must be it! Somehow this wand is emulating a prestidigitation effect.

Miyuki, Bresk, Hekesh:

"Well met, Hekesh." Kreg says, welcoming the newcomer with the informal warrior greeting.

The look on Kreg's face is one of surprise, and concern. "Well now, fate must have brought you together for some purpose. I, for one, do not believe in mere chance."
    Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2008-02-01 at 04:38 PM.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

[Image removed - too large]
    Not as large as SOME.

Head Executioner for House Kato

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Switching back into Mu, she batters Hekesh with questions, Taken?! When? How? Where?

5. - Top - End - #35

Sage continues gently tapping the glass of the flask gently, stroking his goatee thoughtfully for a moment. Finally, he grins and says, at a normal speed and as his normal tenor, "There are possibilities here that I might solve with alchemy. Another one for the list!" He grins as he closes the pack, before giving it a short pat and opening it again. This time, on the top is a small, black contraption with a gold clip and open sheet of parchment with the word "Ideas" in a large, hasty scrawl at the top. Immediately under that is "alchemical poison ivy treatment" and a line that has been scratched out--it's difficult to tell, but looking closely, one would be able to make out the words "cheese" and "turnips" in the scratched out message. He presses the black device to the parchment, placing his hand behind the sheet to give it a solid surface to press against. He writes down, "Alchemical self-cooling ale." He closes his pack and mutters, "Just a few weeks and already two good things to investigate! So many good ideas to find about the world..." At last he looks up and sees the confused expression on the barkeep's face. "Oh... is something wrong?"

6. - Top - End - #36

Edgar

Edgar's ears perked up, as if despite him, at the conversation going on a table away. Ferretting out the secrets of heretics had been his trade (such as it was) for much of his adult life, and it seems some habits are hard to break, even if there was no longer any need or purpose to it.

His mother had always told him that his curiosity would be the end of him one day. Maybe she was on to something. Who can say?
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Hekesh

Still speaking in common, Hekesh says "Perhaps we should go to my table to discuss these matters without disturbing these gentlemen."

He gives a slight, polite bow to Kreg and Bresk. "I apologize for disrupting your game. Please excuse us."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Switching back into common, Miyuki stops Hekesh, Perhaps they can help? They might have seen someone like him, or have leads? Kreg here seems like a man with his ear to the ground, despite it being so high the air She flashes the giant man her most winning smile.I have heard tales of the skill the lizardfolk have in tracking, perhaps we could obtain his services?

9. - Top - End - #39

Miyaki/Bresk/Hekesh

"I am always willing to lend a hand when possible." Kreg says. "When I'm not working, of course."

Sage:

"Well, it's just...I don't really know...any thing at all...about magic, and...stuff. Drinks? Well, I doubt there is anyone more in the know than I am. My dad makes sure we get the good stuff whenever possible."
    the young man says with a shrug.

About that time, the young waitress brings your plate of fish. Upon a white plate rests a large portion of fish fillet. It appears crusted with...something, you aren't sure what. Accompanying it are a few stalks of asparagus. It's a surprising presentation, given the "small" town.

The young lady drums her fingers on the top of the bar, and says "Sometimes I swear your brains must drain out of your mouth, Roderick. You forgot this gentleman's wine." she scolds him playfully.

The young man's (Roderick you now know) jaw drops slightly. "Oh hells.." he mutters, and then produces a crystal goblet from beneath the bar. He pours a glass of red wine for Sage. "I'm sure you'll enjoy that, sorry I didn't get it sooner."
    Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2008-02-01 at 10:19 PM.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

10. - Top - End - #40

Sage's eyes widen a bit as the food is placed before him. "My, but that looks good..." As Roderick fills his wine glass he shrugs and chuckles a bit. "Think nothing of it, friend; I doubt I would have noticed it either way. I tend to get caught up in a new idea and I tend to think out loud, as I'm sure you've figured out by now." He pauses a moment to take a bit of the fish.

Spoiler
    Show
    If silverware is provided, Sage'll use those naturally. If not, he'll ask if they have any problems with him using his dagger to eat.

11. - Top - End - #41

yes, there's silverware

The fish is delicious. It's flaky and the outside is a mixture of some type of seasoned breading...and a hint of cheese.
    Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2008-02-01 at 11:53 PM.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Mr. Kreg, are you working now? Perhaps we could help you with your work, to speed things along so that you could help us sooner?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Kilbain, who has swashed down the rest of the ale gives the horn back to the barkeep "Gimme another one, lad.", he then turns to Sage as if he had just finished speaking out his idea.
    "Ye can't do that!" he shouts stretching out his arms with indignation. "Ye really wanna ruin a perfectly good ale with yer magic alchemy smooshy wooshy?! That be jus' wrong! There be sometin' special ta an ale! Ta ev'ry ale! You'd be jus' like those maniacs who raise th' bodies of th' dead! It be wrong! Wrong I tell ya! Ye'd corrupt th' very soul of the ale!!"
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-02-02 at 05:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Sage doesn't seem to hear much of Kilbain's rantings as he digs into his meal. Between bites he grunts out, "This is... delicious!" He goes for the fish all at once, pausing to take an occasional sip of wine.

Once he's annihilated about half of the meal, he slows down a bit to answer the dwarf. His tone is guardedly polite as he says, "Firstly, I do not appreciate being compared to a necromancer. Secondly, your fear of change here is irrational, and you speak without knowledge on the subject I suspect. Pray tell, what do you know of alchemy and its workings?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Hekesh

Hekesh looks a little disconcerted.
    Miyuki has spent more time in these northlands than I, she probably knows the ways of the people better. If she feels we can trust these two, than I will trust her judgment.
    "Very well. Let me get my things and tell the waitress I have changed tables, then I will tell the tale."

He walks back across the room, grabs his guisarme and haversack, and seeks out the waitress that had taken his order.
    "Excuse me miss, but I have found an old friend, and if it's not too much trouble, would like to be served at that table in the corner."
    He points over at the table where his friend and the two strangers sat.

16. - Top - End - #46

"Well" Kreg says, eyeing the door. "As fate would have it, I am just starting work. It would seem our entertainment has shown up for the evening, and as such, duty calls." he rises from the chair.

"But I will certainly make myself available to you after the crowd has thinned. Until then, you'll have to excuse me."

You turn, and see that the common room has become quite full in the time that you've been talking with Kreg. All the tables are occupied with farmers, merchants, and some obvious traveling folk.

Stepping through the door is a very handsome man, by most any standards. He is dressed in fine leather clothing, though his long brown hair is somewhat unkept. He has a slight stubble on his face, but on him, it actually enhances his looks.

Spoiler
    Show

He is accompanied by four people--two men and two ladies. They are dressed in nice, though plain, clothing---apparently so as to not detract from the presence of the man.

"Martin Schlessinger, I presume."
    you hear Kreg say as he makes his way over to the man.

The man bows with a dramatic flourish. "At your service, my good man!" he says, in a surprisingly un-accented voice.

In the noise of the room, you don't hear much else, but you do see Kreg point to the stage in front of the fireplace. The other man nods, and turns to his companions, who bring with them cases in the shape of different instruments.

As the man turns, you see strapped across his back a beautiful, gold-inlaid mandolin.

The performers take up residence upon the stage, getting out their instruments. You see hand drums, a fiddle, a flute, and even a 'squeeze box' as some would call it.

Kreg walks over to a door near the bar and knocks on it. He opens it, and puts his head inside momentarily.

Then he walks across the common room and stands by the entrance door, stretching himself to his full height.

Emerging from the door he knocked on is a man with a greying beard and somewhat bald head. He is dressed in very nice, though somewhat plain, clothes.

Spoiler
    Show

He closes the door behind him and takes the stage.

"My friends" he booms with a loud and strong voice. "Welcome once again to The Old Boot!" the people in the crowd applaud enthusiastically.

"I have brought here, for your pleasure, the famed"

He is interrupted by the lead performer, who places a hand on the man's shoulder and announces loudly "Infamous!"

The crowd roars with laughter.

The older man continues "...the infamous...Martin Schlessinger!"

"Thank you for that kind introduction, Dominic!" he says. He turns his back briefly, and you see his head bob up and down slightly, possibly counting a beat for the players.

They play a number of different songs throughout the evening. Most are light hearted tales of heroics and adventure. A few are heart wrenching ballads. Martin is apparently quite a linguist, as he also sings a couple Dwarven dirges, and even a couple of powerful Masinyane work (i.e. slave) songs that speak of freedom.

Example Song

Example song 2

All the while, Kreg keeps a close eye upon the crowd. It is a rare occurance that he need move from his spot. But when someone does seem to be getting a bit too spirited, a firm hand on the shoulder from Kreg is all it takes to put the would-be troublemaker on better behavior.
    Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2008-02-02 at 04:26 PM.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

"I dun need ta know how that fancy alchemy stuff of yers be workin'. But I know enough about a good ale ta say that this be daft! It wouldn't be tha same. It wouldn't be ale anymore! It'd be jus' some kinda alchemical wutsit.", Kilbain briefly looks over to the barkeep to see where his next drink is before he continues: "See, I be not meddlin' inta yer alchemy bis'ness and I be not sayin' it be gen'rally bad or anythin'. But me ale be somethin' holy an' pure. An' that it should stay."
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-02-02 at 05:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

As the music starts up, Miyuki pulls out a chair Hekesh next to her so that they will be able to speak to each other over the various songs. She enjoys the music, but doesn't let it distract her from Hekesh's tale.
    "Perhaps the bard knows something? He seems to be a traveler of sorts. We might be able to get him to speak with us later this evening."

19. - Top - End - #49

Sage bobs his head to the beat of the music during more upbeat tunes, and continues his meal. "Ah, friend dwarf," he says between bites with a smile. "I see your concern now; I fear you've misunderstood me. If a man ever tells you the products of his alchemical research are safe for consumption, you should probably stop trusting him. I'm sure there are exceptions, but by and large alchemical concotions are not for drinking. No, I meant something that would cool ale made by normal means, my friend! Ice that lasts forever and doesn't melt, for example."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf suddenly visibly lightens up.
    "Ah! I guess I hafta apologize lad. That'd be no bad idea!"
    Taking back his refilled horn from the barkeep he says: "Prepare another one fer me and me friend o'er there!"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Hekesh

Hekesh keeps his eyes on the stage, but his head is tilted towards Miyuki so she can hear him clearly.
    "It began a few months ago. We'd been pulling off a lot of good raids against the slavers. Freed quite a few people. I guess one of the slaver chiefs got smart, set a trap for us. They us back to the tribe and attacked. They killed a lot of us, but we managed to get the women and children out. It wasn't till later, when we went back to give our fallen a proper funeral, that we realized that a few people were missing altogether. Khaldun was one of them."
    He takes a sip of his wine. (I'm assuming he's gotten served by now )
    "In time, we managed to track them down, and rescue most of our people. Khaldun had already been sold. The slavers we questioned didn't know who had bought them. Just remembered some comments about him looking like a fighter and being taken north. I've been traveling since then."
    He leans in close and whispers.
    "I've heard rumors that there is an illegal combat arena in this town. I'm hoping he might have been taken there." He sighs. "I promised Zahrah I'd bring him home."

22. - Top - End - #52

(yes, sorry, everyone that ordered got their food/drink as requested...man, it's been awhile...bear with me )

Paggan/Kilbain/Sage:

During the performance, a young guardsman comes in and stands near the bar where Kilbain, Sage, and Paggan are. He is a fairly good looking young man, about the same age as Paggan. He has sandy blonde hair and soft blue eyes.

He accidentally bumps into Paggan as he slides an arm out of his ring mail jerkin.

"I'm sorry miss, I didn't mean to disturb you." he apologizes.

"Don't be hassling the customers, Daniel!" a feminine voice chides from behind him. The blonde waitress that you have seen delivering food in the common room stands behind him, a playful look on her face.

You notice that they are quite similar in looks. If you had to venture a guess, they would be brother and sister, quite possibly twins.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Miyuki

Miyuki glances at the new comers and the mild disturbance at the bar as she leans over to talk with Hekesh, "Khaldun was a fine a warrior, so perhaps he was brought here. Regardless the Mu'Min Ghazi stand out up here so those who travel and move in such circles may have news of such a man. All that notwithstanding we will need to speak with some of the northerners. I have spent time further north of here in Hyperborea but the locals will still know far more than us.

24. - Top - End - #54

Sage seems oblivious to the approach of the guardsman, turning to smile at the dwarf as he finishes the last of his fish and begins to work on the vegetables. "My thanks. I've many nicknames, but everyone who's not another gnome just calls me Sage." He gives a slight bow of his head to the dwarf.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Kilbain grabs the gnome's right forearm and shakes roughly but it with a firm grip: "Nice ta meet ye, sage! Me name be Kilbain Lorginsson. Or son of Lorgin as they say in th' tongue of tha traders."
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-02-03 at 04:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Edgar

Edgar listens in to Hekesh's tale, before realizing that it has naught to do with him and turns his attention elsewhere. He picked up chatter of interest to farmers and no one else, before the lutenist and his companions began playing. For the rest of the evening, Edgar gave his attention to the entertainers.

To Edgar's untrained ear, Schlessinger and his band seemed quite good. He'd rarely heard better, and it was an enjoyable respite for him, before he would have to find a place to sleep for the night where the lack of ready coin was not a problem.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Hekesh

Hekesh nods in response to Miyuki, but does not speak.

28. - Top - End - #58

Paggan

Paggan eats the lovely fish dish with a smirk of contentment as she listens to the exchange between the dwarf and the gnome, interjecting at the very end of the exchange. "The two of you could teach world leaders a thing or two," she says with a smile. "A little explanation and tolerance averted a whole lot of potentially unpleasant things. Although," she says with a wink to the man who had bumped into her, "if this was universal, you and I might have to find other lines of work, eh?" She finishes the last mouthful and motions to Roderick. "After his round, the next one is on me." She then turns her attention to the wonderful music.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

29. - Top - End - #59

Sage does his best to conduct himself with dignity as the dwarf shakes his hand, but the time the dwarf is done the wizard looks visibly rattled. He shakes his head for a moment to clear it and returns a sheepish smile to the dwarf. As the woman on the other side of the dwarf speaks, Sage chuckles a bit and says, "Is the world truly so tumultuous beyond Gnomehome's borders? I fear I was so focused on my studies there that I've become rather out of touch with the wider world; another reason behind my travels."

30. - Top - End - #60

The young guardsman is about Paggan's age. As she speaks to him, his eyes grow a bit wider.

"I...um....I....uh...." he stammers at first.

The blonde woman behind him grins as she elbows him in the ribs. She leans in close and whispers something in his ear, and then winks at Paggan, giggling a bit.

She turns, and scoots off to tend to her tables.

"I...yes...indeed...it would..um..be nice to not be...needed...like...that." he says, agreeing with Paggan.

"I am...Daniel." he adds, looking a slight bit sheepish.

Edgar:

While you sit enjoying the music, you see the man introduced as Dominic conversing with some merchants at a nearby table.

You overhear him saying something about lost wagons, and the merchants being concerned about lost goods. A man, apparently a farmer, comes over to the table and you hear him say something about not having enough seed if the wagons don't come. Dominic assures the men that he is going to look into it, and then stands up.

He makes his way over to your table "Good evening, sir! I hope that you are enjoying the show, and enjoying Threshold!" he extends his hand out to you "Dominic Kjeldoran, mayor of Threshold and owner of The Old Boot."
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.