New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [Sorcerer/Wizard Replacement] The Paradigm Project (VERY much in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Palin View Post
    Hmm... Okay, I'll see what I can do with that. The idea that I was seeing had more of a person with an internal wellspring of energy that, unless focused properly, is fairly useless. The Hermetic mages learn one of three specialties in focusing their magic (Annuling, Sensory, and Dynamic), and construct a focus, into which they imbue their power. Once properly invested, the Hermetic can channel his innate power through the focus, and achieve magic. The type of focus chosen influences what effect comes out of pushing power through the focus, and things like rings, staves, wands, and books, having an innate relationship to magic in the minds of most living beings, channel magical force well.

Could that fit in anywhere? Or should I just scrap it and do something else?
    Remember the key behind the project - the most important thing is their belief in what they're doing. The magic doesn't have to come from anywhere but the mage's own force of will - that's why tool-users are even possible. It's just that, without a Paradigm, your will just isn't strong enough to shape the energy.

Write up what you're thinking of for Hermetics - it can't hurt, can it? And if it turns out to be OMGTEHAWESOMESAUCE!!!! then we can go from there ^_^

@Vadin - Interesting concept - it can probably be fleshed out more. Gimmie some time to finish up this bit of Rituals and I'll toss a few things at you that I'm giving exclusively to Fastcasters - certain "types" of magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [Sorcerer/Wizard Replacement] The Paradigm Project (VERY much in progress)

Alright, how about a feat to allow the editting of rituals?

I can understand why they can't be customized after the fact from a gaming perspective, but not a fluff point of view. There'd need to be cost involved, in XP or similar.

Or, a Sandman seed to do something similar. Magic to effect other magic directly would be interesting.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

A quick question about rituals. If you're, say, caster level 20, can you cast a ritual as a lower level caster, so that it wouldn't take as long to cast (but naturally, have less of an effect)?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

4. - Top - End - #34

Nope, but you CAN pay the price to reduce casting time. Ritualists and Fastcasters can't reduce their raw power - only Tool-Users get that option.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Vadin View Post
    Mind if I take swing at a bit of Fastcasting?

I'm going to work under the assumption that these casters have a small store of points I'll call Energy, and they regenerate this similar to ToB maneuvers, performing actions that restore a certain amount of points. They spend this Energy to increase the power of various effects, deciding how to improve these effects as they cast them. A very simple one:

Bolt, 0 Energy
    Delivery: Attack
    +1 Energy-Touch Attack, Ranged Attack
    +2 Energy-Deliver through weapon, Ranged Touch Attack
    Range: Touch or 30 ft.+5 ft/2 levels
    +1 Energy- Double Range
    Area: Target
    +1 Energy- 5 ft. Burst
    +2 Energy- 10 ft. Burst, Affect All In Line, Cone
    Damage: 1D8 Energy type (1D6 Positive/Negative Energy, 1D4 Force)
    +1 Energy- Add +1D8 Damage, Increase D8's to D10's (D6's to D8's, D4's to D6's)
    +2 Energy- Half of damage is not subject to Resistances
    Effect: +1 Energy, Special (Depends on Energy Type)
    Fire: Subject must make Reflex save or catch on fire
    Cold: Subject is slowed for 1d4 rounds on failed Fort. save
    Acid: Subject takes half as much damage again on next turn on failed Ref. save
    Electricity: Subject takes -1d6 penalty on next save on failed Will save
    Positive/Negative: Add caster level to damage
    Force: Subject loses any SR for 1d4 rounds on failed Will save

Similar but unrelated, an example of how these casters might recharge Energy: spend a full round action making a single bolt attack against a foe or performing a harmless display of arcane might to regain your Recharge Bonus to Energy.

Your Recharge Bonus is equal to 1/4 your level rounded down, minimum 1. Your maximum Energy is equal to your level. In addition, you gain 1/2 your Recharge Bonus to Energy every turn beginning at level 8.
    I like this idea - I like it a lot. But remember, that in terms of raw power, fastcasters are punks. The damage at low levels is measured in D4s and D6es, with D8s getting busted out only later on. They make up for it in sheer flexibility, of course, but there's only so much will you can muster in three seconds. Continue!

Also - I'm going to need some tables, namely ability score tables. These casters use Intelligence (Ritualists, Technomancers, Hermetics) or Charisma (Everyone else). Since I just have Ritualists up, we need some way for Intelligence to affect their casting - I want to hear YOUR ideas!
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2008-02-11 at 09:52 AM.

My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Magic System Replacement] The Paradigm Project (VERY much in progress)

Intelligence affecting the penalties they take? Maybe make them able to reduce damage by Int bonus, or negate it Int times per day?

7. - Top - End - #37

Default Re: [Magic System Replacement] The Paradigm Project (VERY much in progress)

Fluff is done!

Now I need more ideas on the Int thing! Get to it, people!

My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like MorkaisChosen's idea. I imagine any saves against the rituals are affected by the ability modifier as well.

I'm planning on implementing some sort of thing with Intelligence with Hermetics, most likely making their intelligence modifier function as the maximum number of spells they can have "running" (minute+ duration spells).

One idea for fast-caster, when regaining energy, perhaps let the caster make a full-round action in which he/she meditates, restoring energy equal to the character's level (or level x Cha/Int modifier, not sure how much energy any given caster gets). While recharging with power, the fastcaster's body is filling with volatile energy (sparks zipping across body, fire filling palms, general radiant glow suffusing skin, etc.), which deals some type of energy damage equal to the amount of energy restored to any enemy that attacks the fastcaster with a natural/nonreach weapon while meditating.
    That way the caster has at least something interesting to do while spending their entire round's action regaining the ability to perform their major class ability.

Another idea: For the chronomancers, might it make sense for the high magics (Supreme and possible Major rituals) to, instead of aging them, remove years off of their lifespans? Something like .5-1% of the total lifespan gets spent as the sacrifice cost instead of aging weeks. I just remember a book I read where a wizard was maintaining a massive shield and taking the energy for it from years of her life.
    Last edited by Kai-Palin; 2008-02-11 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks, Shades of Gray, for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #39

That would be a good idea, except for things like an Amulet of Eternal Youth. I'll keep the aging ^_^

Morkais - Your idea makes sense from a balance perspective, but not a flavor one. You can't cheat magic - in the mind of these mages, you MUST give something up to get something back.

My extended homebrew sig

10. - Top - End - #40

OK, so if we make Intelligence govern the maximum power of the Rituals they can use (just like current rules: Int required = spell level+10), maybe have it affected the numebr of rituals they know, or even have a direct mechanical benefit on the ritual (D10+int bonus damage, for example).

11. - Top - End - #41

Feats

Focused Ritualist [General]
    Your concentration in performing rituals is superb - even in the heat of battle, you can defend yourself while casting.
    Prerequisites: Ritual Magic class feature
    Benefit: You gain a +4 competance bonus to armor class vs. attacks of opportunity provoked by ritual casting and a +4 bonus on concentration checks made to avoid rituals being disrupted.

Quick Ritualist [General]
    You are exceptionally good at performing your rituals with haste.
    Prerequisites: Ritual Magic class feature, access to Adept rituals
    Benefit: You cast all your rituals in only 75% of the time it would normally take (round down in case of fractions).

Ritual Prodigy [General]
    Your rituals are simply more powerful than others', thanks to innate skill and talent.
    Prerequisite: Ritual Magic class feature, Intelligence 16+
    Benefit: Whenever you design a ritual, you may improve a single aspect without drawback (for example, increasing the damage by one step).

Ritual Crafter [General]
    You've honed your talents at creating rituals, becoming more skilled.
    Prerequisites: Ritual Magic class feature, Ritual Prodigy, access to Adept rituals, Intelligence 18+
    Benefit: Whenever you design a ritual, you may improve two aspects of the ritual without drawbacks, but not the same aspect twice (for example, increasing the damage by one step and the range by one step). This benefit overlaps (does not stack with) that granted by Ritual Prodigy.

Ritual Savant [General]
    You are a peerless master of ritualcraft.
    Prerequisites: Ritual Magic class feature, Ritual Prodigy, Ritual Crafter, access to Moderate rituals, Intelligence 20+
    Benefit: Whenever you design a ritual, you may improve three aspects of the ritual without drawbacks, but not the same aspect (for example, increasing the damage by one step, the range by one step, and adding a target). This benefit overlaps (does not stack with) that granted by Ritual Crafter.

Blood to Blood [General]
    Your blood magics are especially potent, ravaging bodies and sapping away at souls.
    Prerequisites: Daemon Magus subparadigm, access to Adept rituals, Ritual Prodigy, Constitution 13+
    Benefit: Whenever casting a ritual that uses the Destruction seed, you may spontaenously increase the cost by up to 1d4 points of damage per caster level of the ritual and add an equal number of dice to the damage dealt. You must choose whether or not to use this feat at the beginning of the ritual (when all costs are paid).

Healer's Grace [General]
    You are touched with a kind of grace that lets you channel healing magics more easily.
    Prerequisites: Martyr subparadigm, access to Adept rituals, Ritual Prodigy, any good alignment
    Benefit: You pay only half the cost (rounded down) of any ritual you cast with the Healing seed.

Theory of Relativity [General]
    Your very presence warps time around you, lengthening seconds, shortening hours, and bending days.
    Prerequisites: Timebender subparadigm, access to Adept rituals, Ritual Prodigy, Wisdom 13+
    Benefit: You may halve or double the duration of any spell, ritual, or item effect that affects you. You must choose whether or not to use the feat the round you are affected - you cannot later choose to double or halve the durations.

Armor of Convictions [General]
    Your force of will can turn aside blades and arrows alike.
    Prerequisites: Magical Aura class feature, caster level 12th
    Benefit: You gain a constant deflection bonus to your armor class equal to one-quarter your current caster level (round fractions down).

Mage Duelist [General]
    You are trained in magical battle and attack, stabbing spells home with viscious intensity.
    Prerequisites: Intelligence or Charisma 16+, Magical Aura class feature, cannot be a Technomancer
    Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on caster level checks against other spellcasters. Furthermore, if you are a ritualist, you may ready an action to disrupt a spell or fastcast (treat as though countering a spell). If you do, you pay costs as though you had just cast a Moderate ritual of caster level equal to the countered ritual or fastcast. If you are a fastcaster, you may ready an action to disrupt a spell or ritual, paying energy equal to its caster level.

Improved Mage Duelist
    You are truly talented at magical battle
    Prerequisites: Intelligence or Charisma 20+, caster level 10th, Mage Duelist, Magical Aura class feature
    Benefit: You no longer need to ready actions to disrupt rituals and fastcasts, instead doing so as an immediate action. Furthermore, your spells are strengthened by magical auras, gaining a number of bonus dice on damage (or additions to their bonuses/penalties) equal to one-quarter the caster level of the highest-level caster aside from yourself with the Magical Aura class feature.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2008-02-12 at 09:29 AM.

My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen View Post
    OK, so if we make Intelligence govern the maximum power of the Rituals they can use (just like current rules: Int required = spell level+10), maybe have it affected the numebr of rituals they know, or even have a direct mechanical benefit on the ritual (D10+int bonus damage, for example).
    Hrmm...

Alright, the Int thing for casting works, but I'm leery of giving such a direct mechanical benefit. HRMM....

OH! What if Intelligence increased their Magical Aura's range by 10 feet and the penalty to other Paradigms by -1?

My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #43

Yeah, that works- and with those feats having an Int prerequisite, Intelligence is definitely important to a Ritualist, especially if it's a prereq for using a ritual.

14. - Top - End - #44

Alright, I just have to finish rewording some things and this is DONE - and then, I can move onto...a lot more work T_T

My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I have been looking at the ritualist. It really is a great concept, but multiple rounds is really too long for combat. The longest fight I have ever seen lasted 10 rounds. Later on in levels, they simply won't be able to keep up in a fight, and will be reduced to pre battle buffs and post battle repairs.

While you do want the ponderous, but powerful feel, it is simply too long to gain the effect needed, especially with the sacrifice. My suggestions are as follows.

1) Half the casting time. The time it takes to make a ritual is caster level/2, rounded up. So, a very minor first level ritual is as complex as tracing a circle and a squiggly bit, and later on, it may take as much as 30 or a minute seconds to craft one. Maybe, as a high level feat, allow them to reduce time to 1/3. You still get the magical behemoth feel without being utterly invalidated by your party members moving fast. To get the appropriate feel for the fastcasters, many of their spells could be swift actions that last only for a round, or swift, weak, blasts.

2) Allow them to use weaker effects. If all you have to do is kill a single goblin, why spend 30 seconds unleashing uberpowerful magic? Sure, you could nuke him into oblivion, but what is the problem with a simple, minor effect that takes him to -3 rather than -300? I can imagine moderation and control being watchwords of Sacrificial casters, especially since they only have limited amounts of what they give for power. So, even if they are level 10, they can still use an effect that is only level 5 and save some power for later.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-02-14 at 12:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

An alternative- as the Ritual continues, more and more powerful effects are unleashed. So a 1-round ritual might do a minor effect, but the next turn a bigger effect is added, then more, then BANG! enemies dead.

For example, a slightly evil ritual might start opening a portal to the Abyss. The first turn, creatures in an area take a bit of Fire damage. Next turn, they get a bit more damage added and a penalty to hit (or something). The next turn a couple of Imps turn up and rampage slightly, then some more powerful stuff, and if the Ritual goes on for about 20 turns (something ridiculous like that) a Pit Fiend comes to play...

17. - Top - End - #47

There seems to be some minor confusion - they can still USE lower-level rituals that they've already designed. However, they cannot intentionally CREATE new weak rituals. Get what I mean?

My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #48

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Right, that makes more sense. So, they just need to make sure to design everything they might need for weak stuff then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

If I'm not mistaken, having lower level rituals is kind of like having low-level spells and being a sorcerer. If I'm level 15, and I've traded out all my 1st level spells for higher level spells. Sure, I've got more powerful spells to choose from, but when I run out or just want to hit one guy...what then?

A note should be added about creating higher level characters, and how they should remember to have some lower level rituals created.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

An alternative- as the Ritual continues, more and more powerful effects are unleashed. So a 1-round ritual might do a minor effect, but the next turn a bigger effect is added, then more, then BANG! enemies dead.

For example, a slightly evil ritual might start opening a portal to the Abyss. The first turn, creatures in an area take a bit of Fire damage. Next turn, they get a bit more damage added and a penalty to hit (or something). The next turn a couple of Imps turn up and rampage slightly, then some more powerful stuff, and if the Ritual goes on for about 20 turns (something ridiculous like that) a Pit Fiend comes to play...
    I really, really like this idea. If we could figure out how to balance it, this could be a nearly perfect solution to the "Oh, it does a lot, but it takes too long" problem.

Thanks, Shades of Gray, for the avatar!

21. - Top - End - #51

I had a thought about Int. Maybe Int restricts the number of times you can modify a ritual?
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

22. - Top - End - #52

@Uncle - It's an idea, but not one I'm particularly fond of. I'm trying to fix spellcasting power levels without using arbitrary limitations, and I really want rituals to be something the player can be proud of - after all, it's something truly THEIRS. Fastcasters, though, may get such a limit ^_^

Gradual Rituals - The problem I have with this is it would require reworking all I've already done T_T That makes me a sad panda. Aside from that, they can still use the lower-level rituals they've already designed. The idea behind powerful rituals taking so long is that they're supposed to be something SPECIAL. Look at Annihilate. Look at Genesis. Those are things that, when they go off, will never be forgotten. Casters of those rituals will go down in the history of whatever world they are in.

At level 20, a Sacrificial Mage should have 7 Minor rituals, 5 Adept, 5 Moderate, 5 Major and 1 Supreme.

My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Would it be reasonable to replace the Dragons Sorceror casting with darconic bloodline casting? also what Pardigrims next?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I love this idea. I think to do it well would require a radical shift, but i think it would solve what seems to me to be the glaring problem of this class. sure they can cast quick spells, but why not combine, them, and who would ever wait for 10 rounds for a spell to take effect in a combat?

My thought, and this is a probably too much of an overhaul to take seriously, but if you wouldnt mind i might try my hand at it and see what folks think, but you could marry this system with mana. Each round the ritualists are able to put more and more mana into their spells, drawing more and more effects (as they gain levels they would be able to prolong rituals, and spend more mana in rituals per turn--and the real limits to their power would be how much mana they can spend on a specific ritual). Perhaps they could really only have a few rituals, but depending on how they wanted to spend their mana they could have their rituals do different things, you could spend 17 mana to summon a pitfiend (which might take a 20th level ritualist 2 rounds) or you could summon brimstone (9 mana, which could be done in 1 round and would do 1d6/lvl) or for the big one they could have their enemies swallowed by the pit to the abyss 34 mana and it takes 4 rounds.

I dont think i would ever, ever use a spell that cost more than 4 rounds. just think about the amount of damage a 4th level barbarian could do in 4 rounds. would it possibly stack with that?
    Always looking for an awesome character (role-play-wise) that also happens to kick serious monster.

25. - Top - End - #55

Alright, alright - if someone wants to take a hand at the gradual ritual system, we'll see what happens, but I'm movin' on to the next Paradigm pretty soon (I'm gonna clean up the wordings later).

@Cormac - Please don't take the following personally.

*SMACK SMACK SMACK SMITE*

This is magic, not psionics. The mana system (no matter how you put it) is too close to power points for my liking. I just...have severe dislike of it.

My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

point taken (and strangely enough, i just made a similar point on another pose :-)

I will see what i can do mana-less (though I am tempted to say that a mana system for gradual casting is different enough from psions, but i think that would just be a lame attempt at covering myself for having made a bad point :-)
    Always looking for an awesome character (role-play-wise) that also happens to kick serious monster.

27. - Top - End - #57

ANNOUNCEMENT!

With the ideas presented for Hermetic and Fastcasting, I'm going to wait for the community on those. Thus, the next Paradigm I will be working on will be Technomancers.

Click-click-boom, baby.

My extended homebrew sig

28. - Top - End - #58

Technomancer
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Subparadigm, Paradox Aura (-2), Cobble

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Subparadigm Ability

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Subparadigm Ability

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Invent

6th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Paradox Aura (-4)

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Subparadigm Ability

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Forge

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Paradox Aura (-6)

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Subparadigm Ability

15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Craft Contraption

16th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Suparadigm Ability

17th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |

18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Paradox Aura (-1/2 Character Level)

19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |

20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Doomsday Device[/table]

[Insert Fluff Here Later]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies - Technomancers are proficient with all simple weapons, all crossbows, black powder weapons and their own inventions.

Class Skills - Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Craft (Technological Device) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (Int), Repair (Int), and Speak Language (N/A)

Skill Points Per Level - 2+Int Modifier

Paradox Aura - Technomancers are fanatical unbelievers in magic - such things do not fit into their scientific, rational, reasoned view of the universe. Indeed, any mage that comes near (within 30 feet of) them finds their magic bent and twisted, casting spells as though his caster level were 2 lower (he may still cast higher-level spells, he simply casts them as though he had a lower caster level). This penalty increases to -4 at 6th level, -6 at 12th level, and to half the Technomancer's character level at 18th level. The effects of the spell or ritual manifest strangely, becoming coincidental, technological, or (in the case of spells whose levels have been reduced to no effect) simply not happening.

Subparadigm - At first level, the Technomancer must choose a Subparadigm. Once made, this choice cannot be changed.

Black Powder Master - A woman of explosives and guns, the Black Powder Master dishes the damage with hot lead. Her inventions use the weaponry, explosives, and mechanical walker blueprints. Black Powder Masters gain a +2 expertise bonus to ranged attacks made with firearms and gain 4 ranks in Craft (Alchemy) and Craft (Gunsmithing) for free at level 1.

Madboy/girl - Maniacal inventors and tinkers, madboys cobble together inventions that don't just warp the laws of nature, they shatter them. Their inventions use the steampunk, clank, and mad science blueprints. Madboys/girls gain a +2 inherant bonus to Intelligence, a -2 inherant penalty to Wisdom, and 4 ranks in Craft (Technologial Device) at level 1.

Ethernaut - Going boldly where no one (sane) has gone before, the Ethernauts walk a fine line between mage and nonbeliever, piercing the dimensions with their inventions and going places where the natural laws of their homes no longer function. Their inventions use the portal, protection, and warp blueprints. Ethernauts gain a +2 expertise bonus to saving throws vs. spells and strange environments (such as a geyser of lava in the elemental plane of fire) and 4 free ranks in Knowledge (The Planes) and Knowledge (Arcana) at level 1.

Cobble - The Technomancer may make minor inventions with his Craft (Technological Device) skill, creating them faster than other craftsmen. He may craft any mechanical item that fits his blueprints, taking one hour per Craft check, of a Technology Level up to 2.

Subparadigm Abilities - As the Technomancer levels up, he gains various abilities based on his Subpardigm. These abilities are Supernatural and cease to function inside antimagic fields and similar effects.

Black Powder Master - At second level, the Black Powder Master gains Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat.

At fourth level, the Black Powder Master may, by increasing the crafting cost of the item by one-half, increase the damage dealt by her inventions by one die step.

At eighth level, the Black Powder Master may trigger a spontaenous explosion three times per day. The Black Powder Master is not aware that she has done this - it is an inexplicable coincidence that she will chalk up to some scientific explanation. The explosion is a ten-foot sphere that deals 1d6 points of fire damage per class level.

At fourteenth level, when repairing one of their inventions, the Black Powder Master may choose to make it less stable in return for more damage. If they choose to use this ability, which must be declared before the Repair check is rolled, the device functions normally for 1d4+1 rounds, but its Malfunction Rating is doubled. If the device does damage or it malfunctions, the damage dice for is increased by one step.

At sixteenth level, the Black Powder Master gains immunity to the energy type of her choice. It must be an energy type that she has regularly used (for most Black Powder Masters, it will be fire).

Madboy/girl - At second level, the Madboy may go into a maniac surge. During times of stress or excitement, he must make a Will save (DC 10 + Class Level) or drop into a state of frenzy, gaining a +4 bonus to Intelligence and a -4 penalty to Wisdom. They will continue work (or fighting) until the stress passes or until affected by a calm emotions spell or similar effect. While under the effect of his maniac surge, the Madboy makes Craft checks in half the time he normally would.

At fourth level, whenever building a clank, the Madboy may adjust its mental scores. Clanks normally have 12, 10, 8 to distribute in their mental ability scores - the Madboy instead treats it as a 30 point pool to distribute as he wishes, with the requirement that each score have at least 3 points in it.

At eighth level, the Madboy pays 50% less when inventing supertechnological machines (for more on supertechnology, see Craft (Technological Device).

At fourteenth level, the bonuses and penalties associated with his maniac surge increase to 8 (minimum Wisdom 1) and the Madboy has a 40 point pool with which to create his clanks' minds.

At sixteenth level, the Madboy may make Repair checks in combat without upping the device's Malfunction Rating. Furthermore, he may make cybernetic grafts as a mad science blueprint.

Ethernaut - At second level, the Ethernaut gains a +4 bonus to saving throws against effects that cause or are caused by the warping of reality (examples include a rod of wonder or one of his inventions using the warp blueprint).

At fourth level, the Ethernaut gains a +2 expertise bonus to all attack rolls made through or with inventions using the portal blueprint. Furthermore, his bonus to saves vs. reality-warping effects increases to +6.

At eighth level, the Ethernaut loses the benefit of their Paradox Aura ability and gains a reality-warping aura. Spells or rituals cast into or from inside the aura have a percent chance equal to the Ethernaut's class level to result in a wild magic surge.

At fourteenth level, the Ethernaut reduces the time for any of his inventions using the warp or portal blueprints to function by one-half (minimum one round).

At sixteenth level, the Ethernaut may make disintegration weapons (see the mad science blueprints) as a portal blueprint, with a +6 increase to the Craft (Technological Device) DC to do so.

Invent - The Technomancer may now craft technological devices with a technology level of up to 4, and may invent his own devices, subject to the guidelines outlined below and DM approval.

Forge - The Technomancer may craft technological devices with a technology level of up to 6 and may combine two seperate blueprints (such as portal and warp, provided that one of the blueprints is at a technology level of 3 or lower in the resulting invention.

Craft Contraption - The Technomancer may craft technological devices with a technology level of up to 8 and may combine two seperate blueprints without restriction, and may add a third, provided that the third blueprint has a technology level of 4 or less.

Doomsday Device - The Technomancer may now craft technological devices with a technology level of up to 10, and may combine blueprints without restriction. Furthermore, any former restrictions on size or cost are now eliminated - the Technomancer may make his inventions as huge and costly as they wish. Restrictions imposed by the laws of physics still exist (such as the inability to launch a rocket into orbit using only black powder).
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2008-03-07 at 08:57 PM.

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Black Powder Master - A woman of explosives and guns, the Black Powder Master dishes the damage with hot lead. Her inventions use the weaponry, explosives, and mechanical walker blueprints. Black Powder Masters gain a +2 expertise bonus to ranged attacks made with firearms and gain 4 ranks in Craft (Alchemy) and Craft (Gunsmithing) for free at level 1.
    Woot! A Black Powder Mage that's actually, you know, a mage!
    Oh, and why are all the pronouns female?
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Oh, and why are all the pronouns female?
    My guess is because the poster in question is female... I have a tendency to use male ones when speaking in general terms.

^^
    '¨'

(O)(O)
    V^^V

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.