New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Around the World: An Excercise in Diplomacy

Sorry, crazy day, they'll be up within a couple of hours.
    Also, I'm hoping that the NMR will un-NMR itself. But I'm not going to wait too long.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-02-18 at 06:10 PM.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair
    Turkey - Fly Like a Butterfly
    French Austrians - Realpolitik

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

2. - Top - End - #32

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by viggo View Post
    tick tock tick tock
    "Hook's afraid of an old dead croc."

His portrayal of Captain James Hook was the height of Dustin Hoffman's career.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

3. - Top - End - #33

And the first NMR... if anyone's reading this thread, keep me posted on if you want to replace India if he drops out. That would kind of suck though. I delayed the posting a bit hoping the orders would arrive, but thanks to you all who did get them in on time

Fall 1901

Austria - viggo
    a bud -> klu
    a vie -> gal
    a rum s a vie -> gal
    f tri -> adr

China - Rodgin
    A Kan - Sin
    A Sik - Vtn
    F Got Holds

England - Vexen
    F nrg - nwy
    f nth - eng
    f iri - ire
    F tha (wc) - complain about choosing the wrong coast (illegal order, hold order issued)

France - Moody the Wise
    F Sch-Bor
    A Spa-Por
    A Gas-Spa
    F Mao-Mor
    Invincible forcefield-Marseilles (bounces, 0 against 1 )

India - Mavian
    No moves recorded, all units hold

Italy - Charity
    A pie - mar
    A rom - ven
    F ion - tun
    F goa - eth

Germany - Elektro
    A sax -> boh
    A kie -> den
    F hol supports A ruh -> bel
    A ruh -> bel

Japan - Maldiem
    F Soj -> Kar
    F Ecs -> For
    F Spo -> Phi

Russia - karmuno
    A Sib - Vla
    F Kor S Sib - Vla
    F Gob - Swe
    A Gal - Klu
    A Ukr - Rum
    F Sev S Ukr - Rum

Turkey - Shishnarfne
    A Arm-Sev
    A Ira S A Arm-Sev
    F Ank-Bla
    A Bul S A Rum

So, builds:
    Austria: Build 1
    China: Build 2
    England: Build 3
    France: Build 3
    Germany: Build 3
    India: Build 1
    Italy: Build 3
    Japan: Build 3
    Russia: Build 1
    Turkey: Build 3

Builds are Due by Wednesday, Feb 20 at 2300, EST
    However, there might be a delay, since a player has informed me he'll have spotty internet connection this week.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-02-18 at 08:23 PM.
    It says signature, but when I tried to sign my name, I just got pen on my computer screen.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

Want to play diplomacy? Want to GM a game? Want to learn what the game is? Good.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Hiya Wamp, is there a delay on the builds?
    Just curious and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Moscow Times

TURKS TAKE SEVASTOPOL
    In an unexpected and disgraceful move on the part of the Turkish military, the gloriouss Russian port of Sevastopol was taken in a surprise attack. This was done in violation of international agreements and simple gentlemanliness. The Tsar had this to say about the move:
    "The Ottoman Empire has made the leap from a sick old man to a mad old man. This undeclared war of aggression definitely casts a shadow on all of the country's international dealings, future and past. Now that the war has begun, we shall spare no expense to drive the Turkish threat back beyond the Black Sea."

Korea and Sweden Liberated
    The otherwise barbarous regions of Korea and Sweden have been annexed by the Russian navy, and steps are being taken to civilize them. The Tsar had this to say,
    "We are grateful to our military men for their valiant efforts in these undeclared wars of aggression against these savage 'nations.' I must say, they look much better in brown than in beige."
    Metagaming - Inappropriate For All Ages

A Conversation Explaining D&D To A Friend:
    Me: You can also always get a bag of holding.
    Him: Aren't all bags technically of holding?
    Me: Yeah... but...

We are here on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut. Kurt's in heaven too.

Sign The World Petition! Save the world!

6. - Top - End - #36

And that delay was totally not my fault... wow, lame. I'm dealing with orders and I'll edit this post in about 10 minutes. Really, really sorry. I went away for the weekend (well, weekend plus week some) and discovered only once I got there that, surprise, there's no internet!

Anyway, back now.

EDIT: so, here's the builds. By the way, India really NMRed, but he's basically dropped out, so we're going to have to replace him. In light of that, it would suck to have no builds turn one, so I defaulted to build F mad. If anyone has any objections, I'll probably listen. Just say something.

Also, china appears to have misunderstood the builds. If it's okay with everyone, I'd like to give him a chance to redo his second (failed) build. If it isn't, I'm going to have to leave the orders as is.

Also, also, I apparently messed up and no one caught it, but Russia had two builds (because he lost a fleet). Seriously, I'm not infallible. When I post stuff about your nation that doesn't seem right, call me on it.

Now, the orders:

Winter 1901

Austria - viggo
    build a tri

China
    Build A Vtn (illegal order, 1 build unused)
    Build F Can

England - Vexen
    F Joh
    F Edi
    A Lon

France - Moody the Wise
    F Sai
    F Bre
    A Par

Germany - Elektro
    F kie
    F ber
    A mun

India - Need to find a new Player
    Build F mad

Italy - Charity
    F nap
    F rom
    F mag

Japan - Maldiem
    Build F Tok
    Build F Kyo
    Build A Osa

Russia - karmuno
    Build A mos

Turkey - Shishnarfne
    F bag
    F Smy
    A Con

So, to make up for my lost time, spring 1902 moves are due
    Tuesday, February 26 at 2300 EST

EDIT EDIT: Oh yeah and if anyone has an idea/knows anyone who would be willing to replace india, let me know
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-02-23 at 06:16 PM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I thought something seemed fishy. I was going over it last night and figured that something was off, but I didn't think about it any more because I thought it was just my tiredness. If it's not too much to ask, do you think you can give me an extra build? Pretty please? I'll even cast my vote for China getting to redo his.

I think OOC goes without saying for the above.
    Metagaming - Inappropriate For All Ages

A Conversation Explaining D&D To A Friend:
    Me: You can also always get a bag of holding.
    Him: Aren't all bags technically of holding?
    Me: Yeah... but...

We are here on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut. Kurt's in heaven too.

Sign The World Petition! Save the world!

8. - Top - End - #38

BlueKnightGuy

I vote yea on all leniency propositions.

However, I also vote that Vexen's entire Asian navy must be summarily disbanded. No, I don't have a legitimate reason.

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

yea on build mulligans

i'll take over india if it'd be easier to find an austria replacement.
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I vote Nay on do overs. I'm not gonna have people wait for me because I don't understand the game. I'll figure it out in the long run.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Entridge Hazat: OoC and IC
    Roondar Tauren: Character Sheet

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mountain Village: OoC and IC

11. - Top - End - #41

BlueKnightGuy

I've got a friend, Temperamental the Judicious, who would like to take over India.

What? No? Alright, how about Schmoozie the Pies?

-Albert Einstein

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I don't know if it matters at this point but I am all for leniency in the build orders. As for India I think the easiest solution is to put it back under the control of the Brittish Empire. It is such a pain to re-conquer countries you have already controlled.

While I am making pointless conjectures. I may as well vote to remove the entire French fleets from the atlantic. My reasoning: they are French.

13. - Top - End - #43

BlueKnightGuy

You know what? I think this game needs a little press action ...

President Moodie Le Wise Announces Creation of UR!

"With the presence of French military units in Spain and Portugal over the Winter, the Iberian nations were able to conduct their first truly democratic elections. The results were startling! The peoples of Iberia overwhelmingly voted to enjoin their new Iberian Republic to our very own French Republic. They have seen that the French Republic is the most liberal, civilized, and progressive nation in Europe, and they have demonstrated their unequivocal desire to join us on our journey to even further greatness. We welcome our Iberian brothers into the new United Republic, where they will enjoy all the same rights and privileges - and, of course, the extremely luxurious standard of living - that French citizens have enjoyed for years. We will be holding plebiscites in Morocco, Borneo, and Saigon shortly to determine if our African and Asian comrades are also ready to join us in this great union."

Hostilities Expected From English!

We sincerely hope that peace in Western Europe may be maintained, but the spectre of armed conflict looms eerily on the horizon. While nothing has yet been confirmed, the presence of an English fleet in the Channel is an early indicator that the English may be planning an invasion of French soil. Although we cannot imagine how King Vexen could hope to succeed in such a maneuver, we are too familiar with his past history to be genuinely surprised by this apparent decision. A review of King Vexen's performance in England's regular war games shows an alarming tendency on the part of His Highness to get himself into sticky situations from which he never recovers. To the King we have but two words: keep digging!

Turkey Still Exists!

Scandal is alive in Paris tonight as millions of world maps are recalled. The cause? Apparently, Turkey is still around. We were as surprised as you are! Based on our calculations - and previous war game scenarios that have been run - Turkey should be gone or well on the way by now, so we didn't bother to include it on our maps. Now, with Turkey not only still around but prospering, we have no choice but to recall all those maps and admit our mistake.

President Le Wise Extends Olive Branch to Italy

"You have shown us that you are a people to be reckoned with. We respect your courage and your bravery in standing firm against the flower of French valor. However, we cannot allow your occupation of Marseilles to continue. If you evacuate the city immediately and make no movements towards the newly-liberated land of Morocco, we are willing to forgive you your transgression and allow you to save your people from the devastation that will otherwise ensue in the wake of an Austrian or Turkish invasion. We hope that you may see the rational solution in this, but if you do not we will recover Marseilles by force."

-Albert Einstein

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Army of Godzillalings Devours Osaka

Turns out Godzilla is a parthenogenic female, and ten thousand of her ravenous offspring hatched underneath Osaka stadium. After devouring the occupants of Osaka, they set off for an unknown location...

Kingdom of Godzilla Naval Forces Secure Pacific Assets, Use Labor To Build Fishing Fleets to Feed His(Or Her) Ravenousness
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-02-25 at 10:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

hey wamp, can you make me india and have replacement-boy be austria? i don't want to play the same game twice in a row.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by viggo View Post
    hey wamp, can you make me india and have replacement-boy be austria? i don't want to play the same game twice in a row.
    Done. Viggo will be playing India, the new player will be playing Austria. However, replacement boy is still proving elusive. I'm getting silences. I'm going to ask a RL friend, if the next person who I've asked fails to respond.

On the issue of the do-over builds, unfortunately for Russia, we had a "no" vote, so I'm not going to be able to allow the build reneg.

And as far as the orders are due tonight, well... they're not anymore. I forgot to do a 24 hour warning anyway, and we need a replacement. So, they're due tomorrow at the same time. Those of you who submitted orders can of course revise them if you wish.

So yeah, in bold, this is your 30.5 Hour Warning

Orders are due at 2300 EST, wednesday the 27th now.

EDIT: Well, we have a replacement player, but switching up players does slow us down a bit. Mael will be taking over Austria is the big news this season. Also, the other big news is that I'm putting orders off till thursday, the 28th. Sorry for the delays, but that should be the last one.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-02-27 at 11:58 AM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

An Open Letter to Imperial Powers in Southeast Asia

Cease your expansion and retreat to your colonies. I have no designs for Joharra or Saigon, but the Asian peoples will not abide your filthy pale-skinned nonsense in our half of the world.

Sincerely,

Guatama Viggartha

18. - Top - End - #48

I'm a liar twice over. Okay, for real now this time, there will be no changes, unless Mael really needs more time.

Orders are due 2300 EST (GMT-5) on Thursday the 28th

So this is your... 35 Hour Warning in case I forget tonight.

No more delays, I don't think. Get those orders in. Revisions are always cool too.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you find a replacement for AH Wamp old man?
    his holiness Pope John Paul George Ringo III would like to make him an offer he can't refuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the cowardly flight of the former Prinz Viggo to India, I have been appointed to represent the people of Austria and Hungary in these trying times.
    I welcome diplomatic envoys from all my neighbours.

21. - Top - End - #51

And the fall moves! More or less on time and no NMRs!

So, the moves...

and the orders...

Austria - Mael
    Ard H
    Tri s Vie
    Bud - Klu
    Vie s Boh - Gal (Support failed: units orders do not match support given)
    Rum s Sev - Ukr (Support cut by gal)

China - Rodgin
    A Sin - Omo
    F Got - Sch (bounced with sai, 1 against 1)
    F Can - Got (failed because F got - sch failed)
    A Vtn - Lao

England - Vexen
    F Joh - And
    F Tha (wc) S Joh - And
    F Eng - Mao (bounced with bre, 1 against 1)
    A Lon - Listen to the latest Godzilla Radio Shows (illegal order, hold order assigned)
    F Ire - Iri
    F Nwy S Edi - Nth
    F Edi - Nth

France
    A Spa-Gas
    A Por-Spa (bounced with mar)
    A Par S Spa-Gas
    F Bre-Mao (bounced with eng)
    F Mor-Wes (bounced with tun)
    F Bor-Gos
    F Sai-Sch (bounced with got)

Germany - Elektro
    A den holds
    A boh supports A mun -> tyr
    A mun -> tyr
    A bel -> pic
    F ber -> bal
    F hol -> bel
    F kie -> hol

India - viggo
    a brm -> sha
    a cal -> brm
    f eio -> jav
    f mad -> wio

Italy - Charity
    A ven hold
    A mar - spa (bounced with por, 1 against 1)
    F tun - wes (bounced with mor, 1 against 1)
    F rom - tys
    F nap - ion
    F eth - red
    F mag - goa

Japan - Maldiem
    F Kar -> Soo
    F Kyo -> Soj
    F Tok Supports F Kyo -> Soj
    A Osa -> Hon
    F For -> Ecs
    F Phi Supports F For -> Ecs

Russia - karmuno
    F Kor - Yel
    A Vla - Man
    A Mos - Sev (bounced with con, 1 against 1)
    A Gal - Rum (bounced against rum, 1 against 2)
    A Ukr S A Gal - Rum (support cut by sev)
    F Swe seeks warmer climes (illegal order, hold order issued)

Turkey - Shishnarfne
    A Ira-Tur
    F Bag-Per
    F Smy-Aeg
    A Bul S A Rum
    A Sev-Ukr (bounced with ukr, 1 against 1)
    A Con-Sev (bounced with mos, 1 against 1)
    F Bla C A Con-Sev

And, totally randomly, the average success rate of orders this turn was 73%

No retreat phase, so now, fall orders are due
    2300 EST (GMT - 5), Tuesday, March 4

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Godzillan forces to take Korea, maybe Vladivostok this year!

When asked for comment, Godzilla remarked, "ROOOOOOOAAAAAAAR!!!".
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-03-02 at 01:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

This is your 21 Hour Warning

Short message because I'm tired.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Hey all, I know I'm not a part of this game so I'm kind of rudely interrupting but I came across this forum and thread while searching for Diplomacy games. I'm a regular at Denes but they don't have this Youngstown variant, so if you have any more dropouts or start another game in the future PM me, I'd love to try it.

25. - Top - End - #55

Alright, I'm locking orders now. However, I'm really sick and studying for a Linear Algebra test. I'll get the orders up soon (read: tonight), but I thought I'd give you guys an idea of the schedule, so you know as soon as possible:

Orders up tonight
    Retreats (Since orders are locked, I can say I will need retreats from England and India, so make sure to check in tomorrow) due thursday
    Builds or Disbands (from most players) due friday night (sorry)

Spring '03 due ASAP. Since I don't know what as soon as possible means, I'd like each of you to mention below when you aren't going to have internet access. I'll build the schedule around that.

Also, capshockey, I'll keep you in mind if someone drops.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

26. - Top - End - #56

Sorry for the double post

Here's Fall 1902...

Austria - Mael
    Rum s Klu - Ser
    Klu - Ser
    Vie s Tri
    Tri s Vie
    Adr s Tri

China - Rodgin
    A Omo - Inn
    A Lao - Sik
    F Got - Vtn

England - Vexen
    F Iri - Mao (bounced with bre, 2 against 2)
    F Eng S Iri - Mao
    A Lon - Nwy (convoy path failed)
    F Nwy - STP (nc)
    F Nth c Lon - Nwy (dislodged from hol, 2 against 1)
    F Tha (wc) - brm
    F And S Tha (wc) - Brm

France - Moody
    F Bre-Mao (bounced with iri, 2 against 2)
    F Mor S F Bre-Mao
    A Por-Spa
    A Gas S A Por-Spa
    A Par-Bur
    F Sai-Cam
    F Gos S F Sai-Cam

Germany - Elektro
    F hol -> nth
    F bel supports F hol -> nth
    A den -> swe
    F bal supports A den -> swe
    A boh -> sil
    A tyr -> boh
    A pic supports A par -> bur

India - viggo
    f wio -> cey
    a sha -> tha
    a brm s a sha -> tha (dislodged from tha, 2 against 1)
    f jav captures the supply center (illegal order, hold order assigned: unit captures supply center )

Italy - Charity
    A ven hold
    F goa - yem
    F red - egy/ec
    F ion - pen
    F tun - wes
    F tys - gol
    A mar - spa (bounced with por, 1 against 2)

Japan - Maldiem
    A Hon -> Vla
    F Soj Convoys A Hon -> Vla
    F Soo Supports A Hon -> Vla
    F Ecs -> Yel
    F Phi -> Ecs
    F Tok -> Npo

Russia - karmuno
    F Yel - Pek
    A Man S Yel - Pek
    A Mos - Oms
    A Ukr - Mos (bounced with sev, 1 against 1)
    A Gal - Ukr (failed because A ukr - mos failed)
    F Swe - Gob

Turkey - Shishnarfne
    Turkey Fall 1902
    F Aeg-Gre
    A Bul-Ser (bounced with klu, 1 against 2)
    A Con-Bul (failed because A bul - ser failed)
    A Sev-Mos (bounced with ukr, 1 against 1)
    F Bla-Sev (failed because A sev-mos failed
    A Tur-Sib (I have to, it puts an army from Baghdad in Siberia in two years....)
    F Per H

Retreats:
    England F nth can disband or retreat to: yor, edi, nrg, nwy, ska, den, hel
    Indian A brm can disband or retreat to: cal, tib, sha

Also, Builds
    You've got time and you haven't seen retreats yet, but if you don't care...
    (these assume the units retreat rather than disbanding)

Austria: 1 build
    England: 1 build (see next post)
    France: 1 build
    Germany: 1 build (see next post)
    India: 2 builds
    Italy: 3 builds
    Japan: 1 build
    Turkey: 1 build

Retreats are due on Thursday, March 6 at 2300, GMT-5
    Builds are due on Friday, March 7 at 2300, GMT-5
    Spring '03 orders are tentatively due on Tuesday, March 10 at 2300, GMT-5

Tell me if the Spring date doesn't work for you and you need more time.
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-03-07 at 01:00 AM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

27. - Top - End - #57

Retreats! No extra map, cause I'm lazy

F Nth - Den
    A Brm - Tib

Which causes a minor adjustment in the builds:

England gets 2 and Germany gets 0

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Godzilla Announces that Russia is to be Driven from Asia by the end of 1903.

"Or else," his/her/its roarasaurousness added, while glaring meaningfully at the handful of children poised to drop into its gaping maw, in an address to the subjugated Japanese royal court.
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-03-07 at 07:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

And the news this week is, there is none. The news agencies are on strike. Hopefully this will be wrapped up soon...

Builds!

Austria - A klu
    England - F edi, F liv
    France - F sai
    India - A cal, F mad
    Italy - F mag, F nap, A rom
    Japan - F tok
    Turkey - F bag

Spring '03 orders are due Tuesday at the usual time
    Last edited by thewamp; 2008-03-08 at 05:10 PM.

Diplomacy:
    GM - The Lyapunov Affair

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Um, maybe you misread it, but the PM said to build A Tok, not F.
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-03-08 at 06:06 PM.