Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Princly Cup

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: The Princly Cup

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to try to disable, and using your magic. I'll let you. Your Survival check says you get a deer or a hare, so you can easily disable those. if it was a magical beast I'd need to know what kind. The spot check i'll count as an aid another action giving you a plus 2 to your survival check, same applies for Sir Trove over there. I just didn't see the logictics of running six differnt combats, it would give me a migrane. hope it's not so bad that it costs you your best event. I did try to allow for your abilities assiting. I guess i'll allow one animal to give an aid another action. Remember if you didn't like your check you may go on hunting for another hour. Oh, and the size part is a percentile. if you want to go for the point for the biggest animal.

If there are any more questions please spoiler them and i'll try to adress them

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Tristan

Having heard the ladies' requests, Tristan call his squire and gives him his little hawk: "No falconering for this hunt Jehan, so feed her properly."

He then turns to his hounds while foraging in his saddlebag.
    "You lucky guys, our lady Magpie wish us to bring back your favorite and easiest prey to catch. Now come here and seek, ... seeeek".
    Tristan hands the dogs a small patch of fur and each one comes to scent it. He then spurs his palfrey and leaves for the forest in a cloud of dust and exited dogs barking.

Spoiler
    Show

Tristan's targets being easy to catch, he wants to be the first to bring a big hare back (DC15).

Regarding the tracking, he uses two hunting dogs that should help themselves for the tracking. Thus if both roll higher than 10, one could "Aid Another" to give a +2 bonus on the skill check.
    Tracking rolls: dog1 - (d20+5)[21], dog2 - (d20+5)[8]

Regarding the damage it's a bit more complicated: Tristan would normaly hunts hare only using his dogs and not his bow more designed for big game. But on the other hand a hunting dog will have trouble killing a hare with 8hp in only four tries.
    So, do you allow me to do a an animal handling skill check once a dog bites the hare to bring it back to me (Tristan would then coup de grace the hapless rabbit by breacking it's neck) or do he has to use his bow ?
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-07 at 08:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, regarding your hunt Slb (i wanna know what that stands for), If you wish to order the Dogs to retrive, i'll allow it. As long as they know that Trick. (hunting dogs. The most likly know fetch) And if you've ever really been hunting. Mostly you when you bag a hare, you step on it's head and pull the body upward. killing the hare. So yeah, it's gruesome, but that is basicly what you'll do. The dog's will need to make a grapple check. so they can bite the thing and bring it back to you. That sounds fairly correct, as far as i can see from my hunting experiances in real life. Any other questions? (The hunt is always a bit tricky anyway)

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raleigh
    Approaching the forest, Raleigh two potions and then motions for Tala to precede him as he adjusts his grip on his greatclub.

Tracking (1d20+5)[10]

Spoiler
    Show

Taking the potion of mage armor, in case it attacks back and then Hide from Animals so that they can't detect me (not sure if this gives a bonus)

Using Tala's survival check with me giving an aid another. I'm guessing I can't use her +4 when tracking by scent because I didn't give her a scent to start with so I didn't factor that in.
    What I find will determine how I deal with it.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

5. - Top - End - #35

Raleigh

Raleigh lets the bird go by as he is searching for better game.
    (1d20+5)[14]
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    playswithfire, you have a plus 6 bonus, +2 from Tala, +4 from your potion, sooo, your first roll was a 16, and your second was a 20 that is 2 deer or hares, just...fyi

7. - Top - End - #37

Spoiler
    Show

Um, doesn't a 16 or 20 get me an exotic beast?
    Also, I asked in recruitment, but I'll ask here, whatever I find has the same AC and hit points?

EDIT: oh, what's the animal's flat-footed AC, since they're unaware of me thanks to the potion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tialait View Post
    DC 31 or Higher is an unicorn (disregard your attacks, it follows you back, you get 1 favor from lady magpie)
    DC 16 to 30 is Exotic beast (Be creative, if you get this you qualify for most exotic.)
    DC 11 to 15 is Deer or Hare
    DC 10 or lower is Fowl.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-02-07 at 10:04 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uraz goes into the hunt grounds with dog at his side and and begins his hunt

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (1d20+4)[23]
    Handel Animal [1d20+8][/roll]
    Spot (1d20-1)[3]
    Attack (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage (1d6+3)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Handle Animal (1d20+8)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    eek, your right playswithfire its early morning for me. I didn't think. One has a higher score then the other for points. if you want to try a thrid time and a fourth your welcome to. I just am a little out of it.

To ERune Um, you either need to try another hunt or another attack roll.

oh, and the reason all the animals have the same. is simplifaction. I didn't want this to be overly complex. if we did this on tabletop it would be full of more DM fiats, i'm trying to avoid it on the fourms, but the only other way we can do this is alot of combats. I'll break down exotic beasts for you guys. So we have less comfution.

16 Miscolored animal (albino whatever)
    17-20 Boar (considered rare in the king's forest, has tons of meat on it. the king himself gives a gift of 50gp for catching one of thease)
    20-25 Oddity beast (something that shouldn't be in the climete (think midevil england)
    26-30 Magical Beast (pick one other then Unicorn. Duh.)

As for the generic animal Flatfooted AC, make that 10. all their AC is in dex as far as i'm conserned.
    I hope the rest of the tourniment goes off without this much confustion.

11. - Top - End - #41

Raleigh

Spotting the wild boar and smiling in the knowledge that it is completely unaware of him, Raleigh lets out another roar and charges the beast

Spoiler
    Show

Boar's fine for me; should be good eating; hoping to get one big and dangerous-looking enough to impress lady Sha'Hilda. Raleigh did not like being called a weakling.

Using my second inspire courage with the roar (boar can't hear thanks to the potion), charging and power attacking for 3 using my club two-handed. We need to get them to -10 in one shot for the 1-hit kill, right? and/or have them bleed out?

BAB 3+ 4 STR + MW + Focus + Racial + morale + 2 charge - 3 power attack = +10 to hit an AC of 10
    d10+4 STR +1 morale + 6 power attack

Attack (1d20+10)[24]
    Damage(1d10+11)[17]
    Boar stabilizing roll: Failed

which crumbles to the ground, twitching slightly then falling still and dead.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-02-07 at 11:28 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Spoiler
    Show
    So, with your amended list, Carrick scores a wild boar. With your permission, I'll roll its saves as well as my actions:

On sight - summon a Celestial monkey to act as blocker/distractor as we move to close with it.
    When in range - casting Web on the boar to hold it in place. Reflex save DC 15 to resist
    Boar's reflex save (1d20+3)[23]
    If it's successful in saving, Carrick orders the monkey to guard him, and then uses his scroll of glitterdust to blind the boar. Will save DC 15 to resist
    Boar's will save (1d20+1)[9]

If it's still successful in saving, Carrick swears quietly under his breath, and uses his scroll of acid arrow
    (4d4)[7] Acid damage over two rounds
    , then Summon Monster II to bring in a fiendish wolf to act as a blocker/attacker (always trying to trip), backing up as he needs to. And then he'll start pelting it with sling stones:
    Carrick (1d20+3)[12] Attack 1 (1d4-1)[3] Damage 1
    (1d20+3)[8] Attack 2 (1d4-1)[2] Damage 2
    (1d20+3)[15] Attack 3 (1d4-1)[0] Damage 3
    Wolf (1d20+6)[9] Attack 1 (1d6+3)[7] Damage 1
    Wolf trip attempt on attack one (1d20+7)[16] Boar's Resisting trip [1d20+4[/roll]

Once the boar is caught, Carrick will use non-lethal damage to knock it unconscious, then rope it up to drag it back to camp. As soon as it is safely secured in the camp, he will heal it back to full health, hopefully to create the equivalent of "least damage" to the beast.

Please let me know if any of this doesn't make any sense.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #43

Tristan

"Good boy Tazi, you spotted one ! Now fetch boys, fetch !" Tristan follows on his horse the swift hounds racing to their prey and is careful not to let them frenzy on it in order to have it almost spotless.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, so fetching a rabbit is a bit more difficult than just biting it so I roll all the tries in case all misses. In any case at the first success Tristan will order the hound to bring back the rabbit.
    Will the rabbit elude the dogs ? Grapple check: -3 (grapple) +4 (size)
    Tazi: (d20+1)[9], (d20+1)[8], (d20+1)[9], (d20+1)[17]
    Saluki: (d20+1)[3],(d20+1)[21], (d20+1)[15], (d20+1)[11]

Animal handling roll to be sure the hounds are kept under control. Normally very easy but a very bad roll could mean the prey as been accidentally "chewed" or the dogs fought each over for it and damaged the skin.
    Animal handling - (d20+8)[26]

Edit: Yay ! critical hit on the grab on the second try, Tristan really has a good pair of hunters.
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-07 at 12:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    This looks a bit better, rolling the saves for the prey is fine. I think over all this is better then the starting system. Um...i'll be waiting for the last contestants to finish up. This is looking good now. Sorry for the confusion.

15. - Top - End - #45

Thumbs up Re: The Princly Cup

Tristan

Tristan looses no time and race back to the tournament arena pushing his palfrey at the fastest speed he can. But he enters the area at a slow canter and goes to the judges to give them the hare. He then rein his horse in front of the ladies, still followed by his hounds.

"While we wait for the return of the remaining hunters, I would like to continue to entertain you with the noble art of hunting that can come in many styles. Thanks to lady Magpie's exquisite palate I can demonstrate that a hunter may be like these beautiful hounds an exemple of grace and swiftness."
    "For with grace I caught this hare 'sans ruine', and with swiftness I brought it back to you while most of our valiant competitors are still searching their preys."
    "I hope that the modesty of my hunt will also please you lady Tialait. Because I do not doubt that we'll have more than enough to eat this evening".
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-07 at 02:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jermayn

As he searched the forest, Jermayn came upon a set of strange tracks, and found at the end an abnormally large displacer beast devouring the corpse of a deer. Knowing that the beast was far from natural and where it's head must really be - since it was eating the deer - Jermayn carefully stalked forward, drawing his greatsword. At the last moment, the beast sensed him, but it was not enough to save it's life. Jermayn's greatsword cleaved through the things neck even as it's image began to look at him.

Initially disappointed by his find, he quickly realized that not only was this monster exotic, it also had quite a stock of edible meat, even if it would not be the most delectable. He also figured that the Lady Tialait would forgive him for the extra meat, seeing as how it was a monster haunting her forest.

Lifting the thing was rather difficult for Jermayn, but he managed to carry the thing back to the entrance of the woods where his horse waited. His horse was initially afraid of the beast, but Jermayn solved that by pouring one of his potions of 'hide from animals' on the carcass, successfully concealing the creature from his mount.

With that accomplished, Jermayn wrapped the beast in a larger, sail-like cloth and strapped it to his horse. Supporting part of the beast himself, he entered the arena.

"It seems the gods have seen fit to allow me grace in this challenge. As I searched the forest, I came across the trail of this most unnatural predator. I killed it cleanly, and brought it for you to judge." He pulled the wrapped monster from his horse and called for a handler to take his mount away. "I present you with a monster, and blight upon the natural order," he said as he began to unroll it. "I present you with a displacer beast!" And with that triumphant cry, he once again assumed a ready stance, but now he was smiling, thinking that he had done quite well with this one.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

The boar securely bound, Carrick secures it tightly to the back of his saddle, holding on for good measure, and makes his way slowly, carefully back to the tournament area.

There, he seeks out a pen where such a majestic boar could be contained. With a bit of finagling, he manages to maneuver it inside, where he releases the ropes. Chanting for a moment, he touches the boar's hide, and it springs to its feet with a snort.

As his hawk settles on his shoulder, Carrick rides back to the reviewing stands, where he sweeps an arm in greeting to the ladies.

My ladies, thank you for your kind offer of an afternoon's hunt. It was MOST invigorating. My Lady Sha'Hilda, and my lady Tialait, I have done my best to heed you both - only seeking out prey that could easily have gored me, and killing nothing I could not eat. In fact, since there are stories circulating that the King's forest is becoming depleted in such fine specimens, I have brought him back, alive and not much the worse for wear. Thus, you can choose to breed him in captivity, release him for further sport, or eat him this evening, as you see fit. I am your most humble servant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Cure Moderate wounds (2d8+3)[13] to rescuscitate the boar.

Perform check to see how well he carries off his final presentation: (1d20+7)[13]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

NOt finding what he seeks Uraz tries again

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (1d20+8)[25] Attack (1d20+6)[17] Damage (1d6+3)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dehl

When the fireball goes off, Dehl activates the secret he kept up his sleeve to aid him in his hunt. Shifting his poise slighty, shoulders drooping and nostrils flaring, he begins to pick up the scent of everyone around him. He lifts his head into the air, finding a worthy scent. He then sets off into the forest.

Spoiler
    Show

Activating Hunter's Sense stance which grants me the Scent Special Ability.
    "Survival" - (1d20+13)[29]

I don't know if you want attack rolls or anything to go along with this, so just spoiler, PM, or roll it for me if you wish.

Take the Hecatomb™ TCG What Is Your Doom? quiz.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Edit to last post... I just missed the spoiler from earlier... here are my attack and damage rolls. Also... If my Scent ability grants me say... a +2 *pleads* Disregard these rolls... Cause A Unicorn would be AWESOME...
    When Dehl finds a Girallon, he makes a Wild Empathy Check.
    [roll0]
    If that fails, he then switches into the child of shadow stance and begins his attack.
    First attack
    [roll1] [roll2]
    Second attack (TWF)
    [roll3] ; [roll4]
    [roll5] ; [roll6]
    Third Attack (TWF)
    [roll7] ; [roll8]
    [roll9] ; [roll10]

Should the Girallon hit with an attack, Then I'll activate the Fire Riposte Ability
    [roll11]
    [roll12]

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

[spoiler]
    Not to self... Do NOT hit preview...
    Here are my rolls... Again..
    Wild Empathy Check.
    (1d20-1)[13]
    First attack
    (1d20+5)[12] (1d6+3)[4]
    Second attack (TWF)
    (1d20+3)[6] ; (1d20+3)[4]
    (1d6+3)[8] ; (1d6+3)[7]
    Third Attack (TWF)
    (1d20+3)[10] ; (1d20+3)[8]
    [(1d6+3)[9] ; (1d6+3)[5]

Should the Girallon hit with an attack, Then I'll activate the Fire Riposte Ability
    (1d20+1)[7]
    "Fire Damage" - (4d6)[22]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that is everyone, tell me if i missed someone. after i get confirmed weither I am right that is everyone or not i'll post the scores and allow everyone mingle time with dinner,

oh and Dobler it's okay, just be careful. I mean i'm not worred about one or two ugly posts.

23. - Top - End - #53

Raleigh

With a satisfied grunt that the boar had died quickly, without suffering or undue injury and bleeding, Raleigh affixes his greatclub to his belt and bends down to pick up the boar ((gonna go with it being about 300 pounds, since that's what Raleigh can lift overhead)) which he raises up and lets rest on his shoulder. Whistling for Tala to join him, he silently thanks her for her aid in tracking the beast and begins the walk back to the arena.

Hearing bits and pieces of the previous speeches, Raleigh announces on arrival. We shall indeed have enough to eat, Sir Tristan, though I am sure your hare will indeed make a delightful stew as Lady Tialat suggested. For myself, I sought a larger beast, for, I admit, I was uncertain of the hunting prowess of my competitors. This large and noble beast I stalked and dispatched with no time for it to feel pain or any of the meat to be spoiled by injury, in the hopes of a fine meal tonight. For this reason also, this creature has not touched dirt since it fell and I would have no filth spoil such a feast. Raleigh sets the boar on the ground with apparent ease but allows it to land just loudly enough to make clear the size and weight of the beast he has defeated and carried to the ladies. He rights himself and then bows deeply to the ladies. I hope it will meet with your approval.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Standing by the waters edge Uraz was looking for something large and preditory to present to the judges. And then he saw it a Crocodile and he stuck an arrow in its side now to take one more shot and finish it off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack= (1d20+6)[20] if that doesn't work attack = (1d20+6)[19] Damage = (1d6+3)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uraz wades out into the water takes the large animal and carries it back to the judges

I, Uraz Son of Bane, Have brought to you strong souls a strong beast. Its hide can be used for good leather wears, and its meat when prepared well is sweet and succulent. In honor of you ladies I give you this crocodile.

Uraz showing great pride in his catchlifts it over his shoulders and raises it for all to see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh
    ...This large and noble beast I stalked and dispatched with no time for it to feel pain or any of the meat to be spoiled by injury, in the hopes of a fine meal tonight. For this reason also, this creature has not touched dirt since it fell and I would have no filth spoil such a feast.
    Tristan ride next to Raleigh's boar and smirk
    "Indeed fellow knight, that's the first time in my life I see a boar clubbed to death. I'm wondering what's the more awesome with you: having brought back the boar on your shoulder or having left your horse in the stable to go hunting ? Surely if there's a prize for the weirdest way a knight has been hunting, you really deserve it"

He then rides back near Lady Sha'Hilda.
    "If you allow me milady, I think there's no real pride in hunting dangerous beasts, for they are dumbest than the most stupid troll. They do not hide, and they left obvious trails. You just have to poke them with an arrow and they come all bloodthirsty to impale themselves on your spear. I always had more difficulty hunting swift deers or cunning foxes than getting rid of boars or bears annoying my farmers.
    However I must concede that the creatures caught by the warrior Dehl and the fay Jermayn are really outstanding and were probably a challenge more serious than any dangerous beast I have ever hunted."
    Last edited by slb; 2008-02-08 at 04:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by slb View Post
    "Indeed fellow knight, that's the first time in my life I see a boar clubbed to death. I'm wondering what's the more awesome with you: having brought back the boar on your shoulder or having left your horse in the stable to go hunting ? Surely if there's a prize for the weirdest way a knight has been hunting, you really deserve it"
    Raleigh
    I suppose I could have let Tala take down the boar, but I felt it more proper to strike the blow myself. I do commend you on your skill in rising such fine hunting dogs; they were quite swift in catching that hare. As for my horse, she is a fine steed, but not yet so well accustomed to a stealthy pursuit; and, I will admit, I wanted to be sure I still had the power in my arms to bring it back myself. The blow I struck this morning was weaker than I have usually done and I feared I had lost some of my strength. But it endures and I am ready to face the rest of the challenges.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Is everyone ready? I need one post for each of you telling me...in spoilers..that you are ready to be judged. Anyone who has addressed the ladies will be considered ready so. If you just want to adress the ladies. then your fine. Um...I really need to know.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am certainly ready. I think everyone else is too, but I may have missed someone
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Carrick

Sliding in behind Raleigh's conversation with Tristan, Carrick can't stop himself from joining in.

Indeed, both of you did some impressive work. The sight of you carrying it in on your shoulders, Raleigh, was really one for the stories. And Tristan, it was very brave of you to catch that, er, bunny.

Smiling warmly, he joins the others by the stands to await judgement. If any of the hunters were injured in their hunts, Carrick will politely offer to ease their wounds a bit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready for judgement, assuming that the thing with the boar went as described.