New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: France: Waltz of Dust

Guillaume

Ah, Patrice. It's good to see that you are feeling quite yourself again. Brother Louis seems quite concerned about the nature of our conversation, although he hasn't actually explained the nature of his rather, ah, proprietary interest. I had suggested that the chapel might be unoccupied, and a quiet place to chat. Perhaps you would care to join us?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+11)[20], trying to follow Louis' eyeline and determine what he is looking at/for.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Of course. I see your reason for concern, as we may have upset the good father slightly. This is primarily, as Brother Guillaume says, a proprietary matter. But if you feel you must know, I am sure we can deal with your questions in an appropriate manner.
    He bows slightly, polite but not meshing with his suddenly icy tone. He casts a brief glance and Guillaume, catching his eye, followed by a subtle glance at Louis filled with callousness.

To Brother Guillaume
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff to include a concealed meaning, Using Naberius's take 10 on bluff ability to ensure a successful transmission: We may have to silence him. There is too much at risk here for him to take any knowledge away.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-03-06 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Guillaume:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't tell exactly who or what he was looking for, just that he cast a glance about.

Father Noailles is a dear mentor, and far too important a man to be caught up in any sort of unpleasantness. You understand my concern for his reputation, Louis says calmly, his voice full of sincerity.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-03-06 at 04:09 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Well, I did spend some time in the court of a rather prominent English Lady as you may recall. I didn't spend all my time fending off rivals. Regardless, not all men are as tame as these French. You're from some mysterious land of dreams and stardust Mademoiselle Shadow, and I from England which is much the same. It is quite natural that any interaction of ours is exceptional."

While speaking, Riq attempts to angle towards the exit for the Rose Garden.

Spoiler
    Show
    What can I say? Riq can, evidently, dance. 'course, watch is be a 1 now that I've said that...

Perform (dance) (d20+3)[4]
    Sense Motive (d20+8)[19]
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Guillaume ushers Louis into the chapel, sits and invites the young man to sit next to him. Better that he be the instrument of distraction, since the man was already incensed at him.

Of course, of course. Sadly, though, you'll understand that the Church is not always democratic in the way in which information is shared. Much as I'd like to like to share more...

He gestured towards his plain black cassock, clearly marking him as a member of the militant and often secretive Jesuits.

There is little I can say of our conversation. Certainly, we mean nothing but good for Father Noailles. Wouldn't you say, Patrice?

Guillaume hopes that a tiny shake of his head to his companion, over the head of Louis, convinces Patrice not to initiate action...at least, not yet.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-03-07 at 12:33 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #156

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

It pains me to say so. Our information was for the good Father only, and it would break trust if we shared it with you.
    The priest digs around in his satchel briefly, coming up with a thick Bible. He flips open to a page at random, and begins thumbing through it casually. Patrice positions himself so that he is between the student and the exit, and hopefully behind the students back as well, with a very heavy book. Just in case.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:

The Rose Knight attempts to engineer an angle of escape, but in doing so moves counter to DeChamps, briefly breaking their rhythm. The Very Rude Gentlemen takes advantage of their mistep to get in closer.

You are full of surprises, Riq, Elaina grins, apparently unphased by the mistep. Is it true that England has more magicians than the rest of Europe combined? I heard every soldier there has a personal Imp to watch over them.

Spoiler
    Show
    You believe you are winning her over. If she is still not forthcoming with her name and information about her past, it is because she'd rather remain anonymous. She may think that knowing who she is will influence or spoil your interactions.

Guillaume, Patrice:

So you took me into a private room to tell me you can't tell me anything? Louis frowns. No, I think there's more to it than this. Father Noailles has done something wrong, hasn't he? I know he's been keeping a secret.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"We may not have more magicians, but we certainly have better magicians. England is more closely aligned with Faerie, or so they saying goes. We have the famed magicians roads that lead straight into Faerie, and one of our kings was once a ruler of Faerie, England, and this queer little country on the far side of Hell. In England, magic isn't something that is summoned from a far, it is something that you breath in every breath. It is the air and the earth, the rivers and clouds.

Riq tries to head for the Rose Garden, hoping Elaina is ready to follow this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have no idea how much of this is true, but it's always fun to bring in Susannah Clarke. At worst case, I figure it could be English propaganda.

Perform (dance) (d20+3)[14] --I'm hoping my die rolling karma has evened itself out here.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The dancing couple angle toward the Rose Garden, but do not move any further away from the very rude gentlemen, who is now just feet away.

Elaina smirks. Why would you ever choose to leave such a wonderous place? Are you telling storries, sir 'knight?'

Spoiler
    Show
    He's gaining on you. If you fail your next check, he catches you. If you pass your next two checks, you make it to the Rose Garden before he does so.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell ftw!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

10. - Top - End - #160

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Ahh... Suspicion. I wonder how deeply his loyalty lies, and to whom.
    The priest's voice contains shock, despite his cynical thoughts. Sir, are you accusing Father de Noialles of wrongdoing? We sought him out because we feel he is a just and righteous man! You are his student, you should know better. Were I a knight rather than a scholar and a priest, I would consider demanding satisfaction. As I am not a bearer of arms, I merely must convey my disappointment.

Lets see how you like being on the defensive, Louis. Do you defend your master or yourself?

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff - (1d20+12)[30]
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-03-07 at 03:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Stories? Of course I'm telling stories. True stories, but stories none-the-less. I left for a chance to live my life free of enchantment. Would you not tire of the fantastical if you were bombarded with it every waking moment? Court life can be dull, even magical court life.

Riq continues to angle for the garden, away from the very rude gentleman.

Spoiler
    Show

Perform (dance) (d20+3)[16]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:

The Very Rude Gentlemen continues his persuit, always just a step behind the duo. His patience is wearing thin, and he looks ready to burst with anger.

DeChamps sighs. Perhaps I am just too accustomed to being lied to by men. I would like to believe you, Riq, but it just seems... she trails off, perhaps unsure of what she means, or how to say it.

Spoiler
    Show
    So it comes down to this. If you fail your next roll, you will be caught by the gentlemen. If you pass, you can make a hide check to slip out without being noticed if you choose.

Patrice:

Louis looks genuinely surprised.

Dissapointed sir? In whom? You say you sought out Noailles because he is honest and just- but you have clearly upset him. Is that because you were wrong about him, or because you yourself have a slanted view on what "honest" and "just" really are?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Men should never lie to a lady such as you. I have my faults: I'm proud, I have little patience for courtly manners, and I'm perhaps to quick to fight, but I can't stand for liars. Give me the name of a gentleman who has lied to you and I shall ensure he regrets his actions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform (dance) (d20+3)[14]

Should I succeed,

"Come lady, let us discuss this elsewhere."

Hide (d20+3)[8], and duck out into the rose gardens.

Oh, and I reckon I'm going to need a bluff check given what I've just said is a total, bald-faced lied.

Bluff (d20+11)[27]

And, for good measure,

Sense Motive (d20+8)[27]

To try and discern the ladies feelings.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    if we're going to be harping on about the awesomeness of J.Strange and M. Norrel, I'll have to admit that I'm having immense trouble wading through that glorious swamp of fine literature.

Jacques bows slightly to each man, enough to show respect for rank and exploits, but still keeping his dignity. He then turns to the Capitaine, and says the following: "And now I shall not dither around and get straight to the reason for my visit here: I must remove the good Capitaine from your midst so as to speak to him in private."

Spoiler
    Show
    Checks needed for anything?
    Attack of the most awesome Ceikatar!!!!!

My stocks:OOTS 40, HNJO 88, GOLD 5.

What do you get when you cross Star Wars, Star Trek, OD&D, and percentile rolls, and jumble it up in a big pot of surrealism? This game right here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Altharis' crown is beautiful in its simplicity, a symbol of understated elegance and a sign that this man is both aware of his power and his responsibilities; the sort of guy Spider-Man would like to have a drink with.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    Louis looks genuinely surprised.

Dissapointed sir? In whom? You say you sought out Noailles because he is honest and just- but you have clearly upset him. Is that because you were wrong about him, or because you yourself have a slanted view on what "honest" and "just" really are?
    To keep the young man bouncing between the two of them and off balance, Guillaume cleared his throat.

Louis, you may have the luxury of questioning the motives of those who have sent us. Enjoy it while you can.

And tell me, sir. What were you planning to do with the information that you tried to bully from me? Had I told you the nature of our private conversation, what would you have done with that knowledge?

Spoiler
    Show
    Strange and Norrell? Couldn't get excited about it. Got about 300 pages in and literally threw it across the room.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:

Before Elaina can respond, the very rude gentlemen lays a hand on Riq's shoulder. Although he addresses the Englishman, his eyes do not break from DeChamps, his tone biting.

Ah! So the harlott dances after all. I'd watch out for this one if I were you, sir. She may seem demure, but she is a little monster. What do you have to say for yourself, chienne petite? Two-timer!

How dare you! Elaina flushes. Two-timer? Moi? You take a great many liberties, sir, though not so many as you might like to!

Jacques:

The Captian looks about to protest, but thinks better of it.

Very well, he says. If you'll excuse us, gentlemen, the game will have to go on hold.

He nods and lets Jacques lead the way. Thomas rises and follows behind, silent as a shadow and about as obtrusive.

Guillaume:

Louis just smirks. So it was something damning then? Very well, I suspect I can get the rest of it out of Noailles himself. Why don't the two of you rejoin the party and enjoy yourselves? Leave me to say my prayers in private?
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-03-10 at 08:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Riq brushes the gentleman's hand off his shoulder as he turns around, smiling grandly,"Monster? No, sir, I doubt that a Lady this fair could be a monster. I find it a far more likely that she only dances with men of quality."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The very rude gentleman sneers, then attempts to appear cool.

Was that supposed to be an insult? I'm trying to do you a favor. Don't trust this wanton, she is not as she seems! Nothing will please her more than stringing you along and then breaking your heart.

That is, unless you do not care about a lady's purity. If you prefer a woman of loose morals, than I cannot help you.

Mms. DeChamps seems too livid to respond.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-03-10 at 10:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Insulting? No, sir. I didn't mean to be insulting. Really, how could it be? It would only be insulting if you were to believe yourself of low quality. I have to say, since this appears to be the case, you do yourself a disfavor. It is rare indeed to see a Frenchman who judges his own worth so accurately.

However, even your honest appraisal of your worthlessness isn't enough to redeem yourself from the unfortunate curse of stupidity.

This is the second time we've met tonight Monsieur. The first time you were rather upset by the strength of the ladies morals. Could you, as the scientists say, be projecting your own sins and weaknesses on to one greater than yourself?

Normally, I would kill you for what you have said. However, I am attempting practice that most Christian of virtues: Mercy. Leave us before I change my mind.

Riq steps forward as he speaks, placing himself between the lady and the very rude gentleman. As he speaks, he looks around trying to get a feel for his location.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate (d20+5)[19]
    Spot (d20)[18]--The idea is that, if he doesn't leave, I've promised not to kill him. So I'm looking for a platter to bash him with. Or, should something more swashbuckely appear, that works too.

If nothing else, a fist can work.

20. - Top - End - #170

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

The priest says nothing, but takes a step further towards the back of the Louis. He hefts the thick and heavy bible in his hands, getting a feel for the weight of it. He raises and eyebrow and gives a significant glance to Guillaume, waiting for him to give some sign, yes or no.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Who do you think you are, talking to me like that? You English pigs are all like, constantly harping about manners while you yourself practice none! And now you threaten to kill me, an unarmed man, while you cary a sword? How honorable!

Your misplaced sympathy for this wretch is sad, but predictable. You aren't the first she's twisted around her finger.

Enough! Elaina shrieks. I won't have you spreading such lies about me. Monsieur Kellborne is a decent man, which is more than I can say for you, although he's quite wrong about your "honest appraisal" of your worth. You may be an Earl, but you are utterly bankrupt of any human decency.
    Lies? I think not, Madamoiselle; and by the time I'm through, no man in France will have you.

Spoiler
    Show

There is a vase, a full place setting, and a chair easily within reach.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Well Monsieur Le Earl, I believe all that has to be said with words has been said.

We shall have to meet another time to continue our discussion in a more suitable manner.

3 0'clock. Tomorrow. With blades behind the Rue de Carmelle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to have me change the location to a better place. I was just trying to remember my Three Musketeers.
    Last edited by Lepre_Khan; 2008-03-10 at 02:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Another small shake of the head, and Guillaume rises.

Boy, you know nothing. Worse than nothing, because now you think you know something. Wheedle your master all you want.

He sweeps up and away, hoping that Patrice will have had time to reposition himself and the book.

Once outside the chapel, Guillaume waits for Patrice, breathing deeply to regain his composure after the infuriating interview with the whelp. The door closed, Guillaume leads Patrice further away from the party, down a side passage, for a quick, whispered conversation.

Truly, he knows nothing, but if Noailles trusts him, Louis could just as easily be the spy. Can you assume the form of Father de Noailles, even long enough to get a brief indication from the boy, or perhaps plant a false story in his head? Back at the party, he was watching for someone. He is playing a game, as surely as we are, Brother.

24. - Top - End - #174

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Somewhat crossly, the priest follows Guillaume out without harming Louis. Once they are sufficient distance away to avoid being overheard, he speaks. I could try, Brother, but I don't know if my ability is good enough to fine tune myself in such a manner. However, I did overhear something you might want to know about the Father himself. He relates the story

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    Patrice:

The unremarkable madam grumpily insinuates herself within earshot of the priests.

I don't think you should let this ruin your weekend, Father... Renaldo weedles.

No, Renaldo, don't worry about me. I think I'd better retire to my appartment before my reputation can be damaged any further than it already is, Noailles replies.

You're going to leave me down here with Louis?

A challenge would do you well, I think. His tone grows dark. Besides, you know the Crown has been after me. I have scarcely been able to send a messenger as of late, and my demons are running out of tricks. No, I can't risk further attention to myself.

What do you mean to do couped upstairs all night? And what of tomorow?

I'll entertain myself somehow, I suspect. I'll pray, reflect, read... Perhaps I'll write in my diary. Do not try to persuade me further, please. Good night, Renaldo.

The young priest nods. Good night, Father.

The older priest walks out of the room, while the younger casts a glance around the hall. Frowning, he walks off toward the disguised Patrice. As Renaldo walks past, the two bump into each other (Renaldo distracted, Patrice purposely not looking), and he stops. He looks at the lady, as if trying to recall her name, then his expression grows confused.

I beg your pardon,Madam he politely says, then walks on by.

You might want to find Father de Noialles and scan his mind about this. I can take whatever information you retrieve and leverage that into a better disguise.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Guillaume nods.

Well done, Brother.

So, even the Father grows suspicious of Louis. I'll try to get close enough, although I'm not sure I can penetrate the wall to do so unobserved. And even then, it's likely that his mental defenses will be strong.

Interesting that de Noailles keeps rooms here on what sounded like a permanent basis. Perhaps he is good friends with the host.

Failing that, Renaldo may be a more suitable target for my attention. In the meantime, do you have plans? Perhaps you could assume yet another form, and keep an eye on our inquisitive brother, once he finishes his prayers?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:

Very well. No... the Gentlemen stops to think. Pistols at dawn. I hope this lady's "honor" is worth it, whelp.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Riq protests, he'll call him a coward etc. and insists upon pistols at dawn. You can refuse outright, if you wish, either way, he then...

He leaves in a huff.

You didn't have to do that, Riq, Elaina says. But oooooooh that man! He makes me so angry.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-03-11 at 08:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

27. - Top - End - #177

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

I'll do just that.
    The priest focuses a bit, then assumes the form he did earlier, and adopts a sulk in the general area. If he comes out, I'll trail him.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Oh don't worry, I told you I wouldn't kill him. I'll delope. It's an insult, true, but one he can't really help but answer in kind."

Taking Elaina by the arm, Riq gently steers her out into the Rose Garden.

"Now, it may not be my place to ask, but what is your history with that man?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Patrice, Guillaume:

Just as Patrice takes his alternate form, Renaldo enters the coridor.

Oh, hello again Madame. Brother Guillaume. I'm looking for Louis- you'll recall speaking with him earlier at the table. Someone said he came this way; have you seen him?

Then, after the response:

I can't help but think we've met before Madame. There is something so familiar about you. Have you been in Prevance?

The long-haired priest looks quizically at the disguised Patrice.

Riq:

Not much to speak of, if truth be told, Elaina says. He is one of my many suitors. My uncle Leon was keen on pairing us, but as you can see he is a most unbecoming gentlemen and does not agree with me at all. Most of my suitors have been this way, only interested in my fortune and not at all in me... or else too interested if you catch my meaning. It is rather a bore, and I do get lonely.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

30. - Top - End - #180

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Oh, no sir. Actually shocked that someone is questioning someone with so bad an attitude, that surprise colors the false madam's voice. I am from the South, Marseilles actually... Just visiting my brother, though he and the person who he got to escort me to seem to have run off.

Uh oh.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-03-11 at 05:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show