New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: France: Waltz of Dust

Riq Kelborn

"Lady, you are too proud! It is not you that the Earl disagrees with, it is life. He is a disagreeable 'gentleman', bound by personality to disagree with everyone. It has absolutely nothing to do with you. Honestly, only in France is it believed that a gentleman's every thought and deed is motivated by a woman!"

With a fond smile to Elaina, the product of hours spent in front of mirrors and lakes, Riq procures a wine goblet from a passing servant and offers another to the Lady. Taking a sip, he sits on a bench before continuing,

"Still, despite your pride, it is unfair that you must be lonely. If you would be willing, I'd like to try to alleviate some of your loneliness. I myself lead a lonely life, a stranger in a strange land. I can think of no better way to feel at home than the company of a beautiful woman.

I won't even ask for your name, I don't wish to come as a suitor eager for your wealth, nor a lecher eager for your innocence. I would come merely as a man eager to serve a Lady."
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Patrice:

Renaldo seems to accept this. Ah, well, you are a friend of Brother Guillarme's then? Perhaps we've met at a church function?

Riq:

I suppose that will have to be good enough. Elaina sighs and looks up at the sky. She takes a quiet moment, then seems to come back to earth. Are you not frightened that Bouchard will shoot you? He is a rather good aim.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Not especially, no. I have the first shot. As the issuer of the challenge, it is my right to establish the duel is merely to first blood. Once he is hit, the duel is over.

I have no desire to leave Earth, and less to leave it on account of such a bore."

Somewhat sheepishly, Riq continues,

Still, your focus on the present forces me to ask a rather embarrassing favor of your fortune or your Uncle.

As you know, I came to France in a bit of a hurry. In the rush, I was forced to leave most of my belongings behind. Regrettably, amongst those belongings were my dueling pistols.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive (d20+8)[17]
    Diplomacy (d20+13)[24]
    Last edited by Lepre_Khan; 2008-03-12 at 11:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is that true? I am under the impression that you can't delope if you fire first, and you can't broadcast your intention to delope until the other shoots. However, to request a second shot after your opponent delopes is considered bad form. Maybe Riq is used to a different set of rules?
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Not a clue. I'll edit my post to put it in line with your rules. I'm no expert on dueling rules, not much call for them IRL obviously.

Still, I assume he won't be allowed armor or be allowed to dodge since that would be bad form? I can most likely make a 10 to hit first.

I was correct that I get first shot, and that's that if I hit, right?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Treading for water in the coversation, Patrice siezes the first piece of driftwood he sees. I am a friend of Brother Guillaume, and a cousin to Brother Patrice, who he came with. He's wandered off now, and I can't seem to find where he went. Louis is in the chapel, I went to ask him if he had happened to see Brother Patrice. Mentally fortifying himself but trying to give no outward sign, the disguised priest turns up his charm to ten. Do you mind if I go with you for a bit? Brother Guillaume has business to attend to, and I don't wish to wander this party alone any further than I already have.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh God. This can't end well. But there really aren't any other options.
    Bluff-Seduction - (1d20+12)[16]
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Patrice:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can you also make a disguise check? I'd say the difficulty modifier is +0, given that you're impersonated a made up person (which is easy) but of the opposite gender (which is hard).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

8. - Top - End - #188

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice
    Spoiler
    Show

Disguise - (1d20+5)[20]
    Rolling at +5, +3 for my charisma and +2 for bluff synergy while acting
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:

Elaina looks vaguely amused.

Where am I going to get you a pistol before sunrise? I can't very well send a demon to my Uncle, asking for a firearm can I? I don't that will matter though. Bouchard has a set that he brings to such confrontations. Her face grows more serious. I also wouldn't count on his honor or his reputation when it comes to saving your own life. I would feel simply horrid if you got hurt on my account, Sir Riq.

Patrice, Guillaume:

Ah, yes... of course. I couldn't deny a, uh.. lady's wishes. , Renaldo is noticably uncomfortable. I do see the resemblance between you and Patrice, though, now that you mention it. That must be what it was. Come, let us look for Louis. Good evening, Brother he nods curtly to Guillaume.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"There are worse things to get injured over than a woman's honor, and no better. Besides, as I have said, I will shoot first. I will be fine."

Taking the Lady's hand, Riq continues,

Tell me now, you don't live with your uncle? Who is your guardian?"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Elaina laughs.

Actually, I am here by myself- well, Anabelle and I are. My uncle believes that my cousin Fritz is here with me, but Fritz doesn't even know we were invited. The duke was kind enough to give us an appartment up stairs- I suppose techinically it is he that is my 'gaurdian,' but frankly I don't think I need one. Let this by our secret, please?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Ah! At last, we are going somewhere with this. The game is fun, but with a duel at dawn and an impatient Minister I need results."

Pricking his ears at the word 'invited', Riq inquires aloud,

"Invited? What for? You've been here for some time, as your relationship with our friend the Earl shows. What brings you to France? And from where have you come?"
    Last edited by Lepre_Khan; 2008-03-13 at 02:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

What? No, you misunderstand. I am French- My uncle is friends with the Duke, and I am staying with him while my uncle tends to business abroad. My cousin is actually here for university, and he sometimes shares my appartment because we are close to Paris. Meanwhile, poor Fritz has no idea there is a party tonight because Anabelle snatched up the invitation before he could see it. I love him, but he is overprotective of me sometimes.

Unfortunately, the side effect is that I have to deal with oafs like Buchard.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Well Lady, while Fritz's absence leaves you open to oaf's such as Buchard and I, you will forgive for feeling too much sympathy for your cousin. Indeed, I find myself rather glad he was unable to attend."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Sorry about my delayed response. Work can be cruel.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Elaina looks into Riq's eyes, searchingly.

And why, exactly, is that, Monsieur Kellborne?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"The reason is simple and, admittedly, selfish. Were Cousin Fritz here, I would not have had the opportunity to chastise Monsieur Le Earl twice, and thus, would not have had the chance to meet your rather charming self."

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff (d20+11)[18]

For what tis worth, he's being mostly serious here, if less pure in motive than she might wish.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

She smirks.

Then what else is on your mind Monsieur? Something other than me, I am sure, because here you are, the famous Rose Knight, and yet you still haven't tried to kiss me, even when the opportunity presents itself...
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Generally a woman unwilling to reveal her name isn't particularly interested in more amorous pursuits. Still, I apologize for my rudeness and shall attempt to make amends."

Riq willingly obliges the lady.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Oi. I didn't realize she/the culture was quite so forward. I suppose I should've made more sense motive checks along the way.

Here's hoping Annabelle doesn't wander along.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Speak of the devil, because...

Just as Riq leans in, but before he can plant one, Anabelle walks out into the garden.

Oh! There you two are! I've been looking all over for you... Bouchard has said that he will have your head, Monsieur Kellborne.

She says this pointedly, giving a nasty glance to Elaina.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

20. - Top - End - #200

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Meanwhile, as opposed to the nearly kissing couple on the other side of the party, the priest disguised as a madam is enjoying himself considerably less. Patrice trying to stay both close and far away from Renaldo. One stray touch, and I am damned. But too far away, the whole disguise falls apart from acting out of character. Curses.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

I swear, that witch cursed me! Ever since arriving in France, nothing seems to go right. Though, I must say, two beautiful women desiring me is hardly a bad thing. Just have to keep my options open.

Leaning back from the as-yet-unnamed Elaina, Kelborn smiles at Annabelle--completely ignoring the potentially awkward situation he's in.

"Well m'dear, the oaf says lots of things. However, I don't think even he's good enough to separate my head from my shoulders with a pistol ball. I have a rather wide neck you see, and the ball is oh so mall.

Riq holds his thumb and finger close together as he says this, creating a space far smaller than an actual pistol ball.

"Still, they say men are drawn to weapons that suit them. Bouchard has his. I myself prefer the sword.

Tell me Annabelle, were you able to find a dashing young squire while I attempted to dodge the oaf? When you did not appear, we assumed you had found a gallant soldier or some such thing."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (d20+13)[33]
    Bluff (d20+11)[27]

Let's see if even the Rose Knight can handle such a situation...

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jacques LeBlanc

Seeing the young servant stealthily trailing after him and the Capitaine, Jaqcues whirls around and starts to speak: "I'm very sorry Thomas, but I am afraid that I shall have to demand that we speak in the utmost privacy. If duty to your master holds you back, then you are best served standing guard outside. If you are concerned of your master's safety, then you need not worry, for I doubt that even with a hundred strong and noble men I could never slay your master due to his virtue of expert swordsmanship."

After having said so he attempts to lead the Capitaine to the nearest safe-seeming place, a small chapel perhaps...? ((OOC:Yes, that very same chapel.))

If he sees either Guillaume, Patrice, or Riq, and they do not appear particularly busy, he will attempt to convey a hidden message to them via innuendo.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff roll for innuendo- [roll]1d20+8[/roll]
    Hidden message: "Could you keep watch on that small chapel there?"
    EDIT: Damn! I'll roll again when I feel like I'm not double-posting.
    Last edited by Altharis; 2008-03-18 at 05:10 AM.
    Attack of the most awesome Ceikatar!!!!!

My stocks:OOTS 40, HNJO 88, GOLD 5.

What do you get when you cross Star Wars, Star Trek, OD&D, and percentile rolls, and jumble it up in a big pot of surrealism? This game right here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Altharis' crown is beautiful in its simplicity, a symbol of understated elegance and a sign that this man is both aware of his power and his responsibilities; the sort of guy Spider-Man would like to have a drink with.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:

Anabelle curtseys. Be that as it may, you certainly have seemed to offended... which in my book at least is a huge credit to your favor. That man deserves whatever he gets! And, unfortunately, no... I met no brave soldier in the ballroom, none but you Monsieur. Elaina, do you not think it time we rejoin the circus? she gestures back to the ball. Then, a look of annoyance, at herself, comes to her face. Oh! You did not want Monsieur Knight to know you are Elaina DeChamps! I am so sorry...

Don't worry about that, my dear, Elaina sighs. It was just a fancy, a passing one, no doubt. It had to end eventually.
    She picks herself up and nods to Riq.

You are coming?
    she asks.

Jacques:

Oh, don't worry about Thomas. He is loyal to me even beyond death, and attends to me always. I should think it would be of no concern, no problem. Having said this, he accompanies you to the chappel, where Guillaume, a long haired priest, and a somewhat overweight woman stand awkwardly before the doors.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"How could I do anything else, Elaina? What could be more delightful than an evening with the two loveliest ladies in France?"

Riq rises and returns to the party with Annabelle and Elaina.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive on Annabelle-ie, can I stay on her good side?
    (d20+8)[11]
    Last edited by Lepre_Khan; 2008-03-18 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Realized we're not in Paris

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Guillaume waves to the new Patrice as s/he is escorted off by Renaldo.

All of this changing of men's and ladies' roles and robes. It's like a Fat Tuesday theatrical back at the monastery. Now, how to find de Noailles' chambers?

palming a gold coin from his purse, Guillaume sets down his goblet and heads in the general direction as the private chambers. He seeks out a servant who is not currently engaged with another guest, and smiles blandly at the man. Or woman, although I'm assuming that most of the servers are men. Preferably a young one. Initially, his voice is strong and slurred as he approaches the boy.

Young man, young man! This wine, it is too strong for a simple monastic brother! Is there somewhere I may lie down for a few moments to recompose myself?

Guillaume's voice is soft as he blocks with his body the motion of pressing the coin into the man's hand.

Tell me where the rooms belonging to Father Jean Paul de Noailles may be found.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here goes! Sorry for my absence.

Since Guillaume will just wait until he spots a young servant loitering for a moment, I'm hoping we can dispense with the spot checks. And here's a diplomacy check to guage the success of persuading the boy: (1d20+14)[28].
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:

Anabelle does, indeed seem fond of the Rose Knight, and perhaps jealous of her mistress. The three of you walk back into the ballroom, Elaina not without a hint of regret. She seems almost deflated, but is trying not to let it show. By the time you get back in, she seems quite herself again, the old self that you saw back in her appartment.

Inside it is warm, and the snow melts off your shoes as you approach the dance floor.

Guillaume:

As he leaves Patrice and Renaldo behind, the priest passes Jacques and a young captain, likely St. Pierre. A boy is in toe, trying to stay out of the way.

It doesn't take long to find a likely-looking servant. When pressed, he tries his best to answer.

The priest, sir? Uh, I believe upstairs and through the gallery, he says.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Staying close and quiet, Guillaume presses for details.

Yes, excellent, and which room? Which room, boy? You can hardly expect a man of god to go bedchamber to bedchamber during a party.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I... don't really know, sir. I'm not an upstairs servent. He seems to think for a moment. But my friend Arnold mentioned there's a cross on his door. Does that help?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Well, Annabelle, since you were unable to find yourself a dashing young soldier, would you be willing to share a dance with me?"

As he asks, Riq offers Elaina a placating look, hoping she understands he's simply trying to help keep peace in her household, as well as avoiding showing any undue interest.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'd be honored, sir Riq, that is, if my mistress bades it?

Elaina nods. Go ahead, Anabelle. You deserve to have some fun.

As the two of you spin onto the dance floor Elaina is approached by a tall gentlemen. They seem to know eachother, because her face lights up in recognition. The next time you turn around, she and he have taken up on the dance floor themselves.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games