New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: France: Waltz of Dust

Riq:

Before you leave, Lemac speaks darkly: I have been ordered by a higher authority than you not to leave this place. I can discover nothing for you.

Undaunted, you continue on to Anabelle, kissing her lightly.

M. Kellborne! I must, admit I was, but I see now it was worth the wait. It is chilly out here, though... she moves closer to him.

Guillaume:

Certainly... he moves asside allowing you to enter. His hand moves up to his collar and he seems to straighten something. You sense through your magic that he is concerned that the chain around his neck may be visible, though it is not.

Jacques, Patrice:

This is no problem, Renaldo says. I was merely looking for my colleague and I have found him. Do not let us delay you.

As the young priest steps asside, St. Pierre asks So what is this all about sir?
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Taking her hand the Rose Knight gallantly responds, "So it is! Drink the wine, my dear, it will fend off some of the chill. I would gladly do more to ward off the chill were I able, but you're mistress shall return soon and I should try to stay on her good side. How else would I be able to continue seeing you?"
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Riq:

Oh, Riq... I don't know what to say... this is so sudden; we have only just met!
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

So, where are we going to go now?
    Patrice tries batting his eyes to see if that produces the required reaction. Curse this indirect form!
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Renaldo blinks. We, uh... we are... Louis?

The ugly priest shrugs. Well, you are madame's chaperon; you may as well show her a good time. A dance is the least you owe one another, I should think.

The long haired priest turns a shade of seasick. Well... how about it madame? Care for a dance?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Pressing her hand Riq continues, "Well then, don't say anything! Simply savor the moment! Savor the sweet night air and the gentle light of celestial bodies. Savor the rich earth and the beautiful gardens. Savor the music that delights the ears and the wine that delights the tongue. Savor all these things madame, but most of all savor the company of a stricken and loving gentleman eager only to serve."

Spoiler
    Show
    BLuff (d20+11)[31]

Reminder: I'm off to the real Paris tomorrow to meet a lovely young woman (though I'll be less rakish and use less corny lines) so I'm leaving Riq as an NPC to ya Juris.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Well, if he thinks the chain might be visible, I might as well act as if it is.

Leaning a bit on his cane as he steps in, Guillaume initially turns away from Noailles, as if gathering his thoughts, but really casing the room. He turns, his brow furrowed.

Father, I wish to apologize. It was both presumptuous and...oh!

He focuses on the priest's neckline.

That's a lovely chain. I had an uncle who traded in jewelry, and I spent several happy afternoons in his shop, learning the - may I have a closer look?

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls, use as needed:
    Spot - checking out the room (1d20+6)[16]
    Bluff - for the jewelry (1d20+4)[6]
    Sense Motive, to follow his reactions (1d20+11)[13]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #248

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Uhh... The shock is visible, even through the disguise. The priest can't even begin to hide it. In short order, the false madame looks equally queasy, for different reasons. I can't dance! And I can't touch him, the disguise isn't tactile! And he's going to pull something! Spirits above and below! For the first time in probably years, Patrice has utterly lost his collection.

When he finally gathers enough to speak, the voice is rather weak and stammering. He lets the subtle magic of Naberius make his words sound better, but Patrice is still shaken to the point of detriment. I...uh...I really am not good at it... Could we just..talk? Or sit. Yes, I'm feeling really rather faint and I shouldn't dance. I always enjoyed hearing cousin Patrice and Brother Guillaume debate, and I am sure you both would rather talk than do some silly dance. Don't mind me. I'll just um.. Listen. Because Religious debates are much better entertainment than dances.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Naberius's take 10 on Diplomacy, but giving myself a -2 penalty for being shaken. So, total of 17 to try an persuade them to just talk and let me listen rather than dancing. Which would be bad.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-04-02 at 01:05 PM.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lepre Khan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Have fun in Paris and thanks for being such a great player. I'll keep Riq warm for you for your return!

Guillaume:

As you look around the room, you notice nothing out of the ordinary. It is the austerely decorated room of a man of god.

When you call attention to the chain, you notice Father Noialles face flush, and he reaches to hide it again.

Surface thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was hidden [a key on a chain- the diary in the drawer] It IS hidden. How did he know? This man is a spy. You feel his anger, and then his mind closes and you sense nothing.

What is this all about sir? Who sent you here?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bad bluff check vs. a great sense motive. Gave him another saving throw vs. your effect, which he cleanly passed.

Patrice:

Both the priests seem very confused and a tad uncomfortable now, and not a little concerned. A touch of relief also creeps over Renaldo's face.

Well then... I shouldn't make you dance against your wishes. I think it would be-

He is cut off by Louis.

Patrice and Guillaume? Are you here with them? he asks.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-02 at 01:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

10. - Top - End - #250

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Why.. Yes. Patrice is my Cousin. I came from Marseilles with him.
    He tilts his head to the side, feigning curiosity and worry. Is there a problem? In his head, the priest is back in control from the terror of having to dance. However, a new feeling of dread is crawling up his spine, and he moves to cover his tracks. They were so quiet on the way up here. They weren't at all like normal. I heard them talking about having to confess something, but they stopped talking about it when they saw me listening. It was quite strange, normally they are both such cheerful people.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It's interesting you should say that... Louis considers this. They both seemed agreeable enough to me, but apparently when they spoke with our mentor Father Noailles, they rather upset him.

He looks concerned.

What do you think they could have meant by that, confess something?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

12. - Top - End - #252

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

I hope they didn't do something wrong... Now I am really worried about them. What could they have done that warrants confession? I must admit that I didn't think about it again until now. the disguised priest allows worry and concern into his act.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

In for a penny. Perhaps a distraction.

Guillaume steps closer to the older priest, calling his bluff.

Sent me, sir? I open my heart to you, my conscience sends me here to apologize, and now not only do you accuse me of, of whatever fantasy it is you are concocting, but I am threatened by that thug of yours, Louis.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Patrice, Jacques:

This is growing serious! Renaldo exclaims. I must say, I am extremely concerned both for Noailles and your cousin. But still, this is between them, and I think we best let ourselves be not concerned with it. Don't you agree Louis?

Indeed, yes, Louis says. I suspect we may learn of this in time, but such sensative matters cannot be rushed. Why not sit and talk for a while as the lady suggests?

Renaldo agrees to this, and the three of you find a place to sit in the main hall. Meanwhile, Jacques and his band move into the chappel.

Guillaume:

My chain, Noailles says icily. You knew to mention it, although I am sure it is hidden and has been since you knocked. If it had been only that, I could forget, but no. You broach strange topics, friend. And what is this about Louis? A bit impetulant, perhaps, but he is no thug.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-02 at 02:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Impetuous! He practically threatened me with violence if I didn't reveal the nature of our previous conversation. And your chain was NOT completely hidden. You've tucked it all in now, but even now the shape of the key is visible through your robe.

Guillaume sighs and steps back, exhaling away the tension. He settles on the bed, rubbing his eyes.

I have already revealed enough to you to get me imprisoned, perhaps hanged. And now you accuse me of...whatever it is you're thinking. Oh...Lord, give me strength to face the trials ahead alone.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jacques Leblanc

Opening the door to the chapel, now that the danger is averted, and politely ushering the Capitaine and his young manservant into the chapel, Jacques summons up the courage to say what he needs to say.

Once all are safely inside, the door is well locked, and Jacques has strode to the other side of the room he begins to speak, trying his best to phrase his words with as much tact as possible:

"It has come to my attention, good sir, for one does not remain a court duelist for very long if he does not listen to the rumours that float around the learned circles of court, that your esteemed honour has come under attack from various men. According to the powder-room talk of the royal court, these men have even made allegations that could be interpreted to compromise your loyalty to the crown. I do not ask where your loyalty truly lies during these divided days, I only wished you to know that I would defend any your honour from any more threats with both my word and my sword if need be."

Upon having said that, he nervously awaits the Capitaine's reaction.
    Attack of the most awesome Ceikatar!!!!!

My stocks:OOTS 40, HNJO 88, GOLD 5.

What do you get when you cross Star Wars, Star Trek, OD&D, and percentile rolls, and jumble it up in a big pot of surrealism? This game right here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Altharis' crown is beautiful in its simplicity, a symbol of understated elegance and a sign that this man is both aware of his power and his responsibilities; the sort of guy Spider-Man would like to have a drink with.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Guillaume:

The man's face is sour, showing his age.

Get out of my chambers. Your games wear thin with me- get out, he says, gesturing toward the door.

Jacques:

The captain looks unsure.

Yes, it is true, he says, that some have accused me of spying for the enemy. I appreciate your show of friendship, but I assure you that I do not need your sword to protect my honor. My true deeds and actions do that on their own, nor do I need a public defender.

He continues on, still a bit confused.

Why did you take me into private for this? You could have said that in front of my friends.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-03 at 08:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

I am more the fool to have put my trust in one such as you. Good day to you, sir.

The young priest takes his time getting to his feet, but departs with a heavy heart that is all too real.

Walking back toward the party, Guillaume pauses to spend a few moments in the gallery, again to recompose himself, before going to look either for Patrice or his alter-ego.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It does not take Guillaume long to spot his friend. The disguised monk is sitting with the two young priests at a table. The three of them all look fairly uncomfortable.

So, Madame... tell me, have you read much on biblical interpretations? Renaldo hazards, as Louis looks sourly around.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Annabelle was silent after my flowery praise, and that nothing else happened, I'm going to make this post in an attempt to carry the adventure on. Feel free to disregard it.

Annabelle's hand still in his Riq presses the assault, "Now, tell me true Annabelle, Lady. Will you have me, or at least permit me to call? Will you trust me?"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In the rose garden

Why... oh... she sputters, looking confused and flattered, reaching for what to say. Monsieur... sir... Yes, I will, only please- do not break my heart! If I trust you with it and you misuse me, you are a monster, but I cannot bear to think of you that way. She looks hopefully at Riq, joy and concern apparent on her flushed face.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Pressing his lips to her hand, clasped firmly in his, Riq continues the charge, "Monster? Lady, I am no monster and the fact that you think I could one wounds me deeply. I am a gentleman, a lover, not a monster. To prove myself worthy of your trust, if not yet your love, I shall trust you. Not merely with my heart, for that you already have..."

Dropping his voice, Riq glances around for other listeners before whispering,

"...but with my life. You recall the gentleman looking for spies in your household? I have come for the same reason. I seek spies in your house because I am, myself, I spy. I still serve the land of my birth despite it's occasional cruelty towards me. However, I believe I may have been compromised. I need your help to escape France."

Speaking at a normal volume again, "See now? You have nothing to fear from me. I have told you everything and trusted you with everything."

Pausing and tilting his head, Riq pulls back slightly,

"I pray that love has not blinded me, but so fair a creature as you must be trustworthy. God's angels cannot sin."

Spoiler
    Show
    Whooie. This looks...downright dangerous. Here's hoping for good rolls...

Diplomacy (d20+13)[17]
    Bluff (d20+11)[18]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Alicia

A young woman threads her way past the dance floor, stopping occasionally to nod a greeting to someone or exchange a few words with them as she moves. She has blond hair falling just past her shoulders, which are not quite covered by a dress of green silk. Her eyes match the dress, giving quite lovely features a faintly exotic cast. She wears a steady small smile as she slowly makes her way through the party, green eyes occasionally flicking about.

Eventually, she settles on the two priests speaking with a dour-looking woman at one of the tables, approaching them and stopping a few feet away from the table, hands clasped in front of her. "Fathers," she says, dipping her head in a respectful greeting. "Madame. I hope I am not intruding on you?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #264

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

The disguised priest gives the newcomer a quick once over, and sees an opportunity. With any luck, she'll be a butterfly that outshines a moth. If the spirits are kind, the pressure will be off of me. Oh, of course not. I am Madame Seraphine. I will let my companions introduce themselves. The words are followed by a discrete movement, putting the disguised priest on the other side of the two men than the newcomer, if still visible.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-04-15 at 11:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Attempting to assist Patrice in separating himself from the two young priests, Guillaume slips in to stand between them, leaving the newcomer on Patrice's other side.

A fresh voice adds harmony to any conversation. I am Brother Guillaume de Gascoyne.

He smiles and glances appraisingly at the young woman's eyes, searching for signs of whether there is genuine wit there, or simple prettiness.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-16 at 11:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Alicia

"And I am Alicia Bellemont, Brother," she returns, dipping her head in greeting to Guillaume too and studying the priest as she sits in the space opened for her. "A pleasure to meet another man of God; we have several at this party already, which is a good sign, I'm sure." Her tone is rather airily amused; not flippant, but she isn't subdued in the presence of religion either.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In the Rose Garden

Oh, Riq! she looks about to cry, and flings her arms about him. You are the sweetest man- but, oh! You are in terrible danger! Yes, of course I will help you, I'll do whatever I can- even though it may send me to the noose. What has my life been thus far if not worthless?

We must tell Elaina- I'm sure she will know what to do.

At a Gathering of Priests and Rogues

Renaldo nods in the affirmative. But of course, Mademoiselle. I've known nothing to be better for one's character than time spent in seminary.

Quite, Louis agrees in a bored tone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

Passionately returning the embrace, Riq strokes her hair in an attempt to reassure Annabelle,

"Shhh, easy now Lady. There will be no noose for you. I make it a habit to ensure that the only necks getting stretched belong to petty and cruel lords, never women. Especially a woman as important to me as you are, dearest. You shall come with me, not be left to die."

Extricating himself the Rose Knight begins to lay out his plan, "Now, you say Elaina can help us? She has contacts with other cells who can get us out of Paris? This is good and we must rush to her at once.

Seeing Annabelle about to speak Riq lays his finger on her lips,

"Shhh. Hold now, dove. We must rush to her, and her alone. I do not trust this 'Otto'. He has contacts in the Ministry of War you say? He may be one of those hunting me. A cousin of Elaina's would be worth a pretty penny to the Ministry, especially one so trusted by her. You must distract him, get him to leave her while I explain to her everything. Tell him that Lord Such and Such or Lady So and So requests his presence, somebody he can't possibly deny. I have placed my life in your hands once this evening, and do so again. Elaina may be our only hope.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (d20+11)[14]
    Diplomacy (d20+13)[14]

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Wit. Definitely wit.

Guillaume glances at Louis and Renaldo.

And yet, Madam, we also know that our Lord enjoyed a good party. The wedding at Canaan. Dinner with Mary and Martha. He found spirituality in communion with others, in many contexts.

Have you enjoyed this...communion so far?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To the Mademoiselle's Chambers Where They Might Be Taking Tea

Anabelle nods in agreement. The two of you travel through the ballroom, upstairs, and to Elaina's appartment.

Stand back, Riq. If I don't come out in five minutes, it means I have failed you and we shall meet later downstairs.

Once the Rose Knight is down the hall, away from the door, Anabelle wraps twice. After a suspiciously long time, the door opens, Anabelle and Elaina exchange some words, and then she enters.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games