New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The Order Of The Stick: January

So does anyone have any idea what the monsters are meant to be? I thought ogres, but we've had stick ogres before and they looked different... ???

Darn it, Whisper. :p

2. - Top - End - #332
    Halfling in the Playground

Haley is at her hottest when she's rules-lawyering. ;D

Oh, that's so wrong.
    You can have blood, love, and rhetoric, or blood and rhetoric, or love and rhetoric, or just rhetoric.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

I love the horsies' legs when they're walking. Too cute.
    Good. Bad. I\'m the guy with the gun.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Wolf
    So does anyone have any idea what the monsters are meant to be? I thought ogres, but we've had stick ogres before and they looked different... ???

Darn it, Whisper. :p

They are green, so I think trolls.

What do you think the other will call their rides?

Beside Belkar that'll cal his something irrepetable. :D
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

5. - Top - End - #335

I agree with sebastian.

Green skin, spears, fangs coming up from the jaw - stereotype trolls.
    Veeratars Unite!

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

"Next on Dr. Drzzt: Trolls who love Oprah!"
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

7. - Top - End - #337
    Pixie in the Playground

This strip constantly reminds me of our own group. My last mount was named "Tidbit". I had a druidess "Awaken" her, so she always did really well on "Spot" checks.
    Judging from the size, I agree that they are Trolls.
    \'A zest for living must include a willingness to die.\" &&– R.A. Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #338
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm going to have to weigh in on the side that says they're trolls. After all, all of the ogres we've seen have tan skin and no fangs. I'm sure the next strip will mention what they are, but for the moment, I'm going to assume they're trolls.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Pixie in the Playground

Ogre's don't watch Oprah, they're more Springer. Trolls on the other hand are into that emotional healing that only Oprah can give.
    \"in the long run, we\'ll all be dead\" ~ John Maynard Keynes&&&&Bin ich aber tot?&&&&Philosopher Action Figures&&&&Goatism&&

10. - Top - End - #340
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Janitor
    I agree with sebastian.

Green skin, spears, fangs coming up from the jaw - stereotype trolls.
    Of course we will sure only when they'll go back to their lair and start to post flammatory post on the usenet. :D
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Oh, right, Is Roy going on this quest weaponless?
    What, he needs something other than his vorpal gauntlets? :P
    optimization n : a source of missed opportunity

12. - Top - End - #342
    Pixie in the Playground

Hate to say it, but stereotypical trolls. Look at the mohawk and what weapon they are using, and then go play the third game in Blizzards Classic RTS game...

(If you don't know what I'm talking about look into the Orc Barracks, but not at the orcs...)
    Visit my Blog @ www.iambournie.blogspot.com

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, technically, Blizzard's third classic RTS game is StarCraft. And, I don't remember any Orcs in StarCraft.

On another note, I chuckled at the 'puppy' panel, and thought it was a quite interesting look into Thog's character, and I did get the impression that Nale had given the blacksmith to him because Nale didn't say anything about it.

Finally, I wonder who has a worse Spot check: Whisper, Silver, or Belkar.
    Lurkaholic. Fetch me some more lurkahol.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, bournie said it's the third game of the classic Blizzard RTS series. Poorly worded, but that does in fact refer to WC3, because it's the third game in the Warcraft series.
    He's referring to the trolls in the Orc barracks.
    *Insert random Terry Pratchett quote here*

15. - Top - End - #345
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

I'm ambivalent about the "disturbing" part of Thog's puppy....but the reason for it seems pretty clear. It's the only way Nale could get Thog to keep his attention on the task of guarding the blacksmith and keeping him out of sight.

As for their current quest...classic mistake. OOTS will get MANY more XP for fighting their way into and out of the forest than Nale and crew will...so even if they recruit well, they're going to be hard pressed and dealing with tougher opponents next time around (always a problem with recurring villains).

As to their current opponents...I'm also on board with them being Trolls. It just seems to fit best.

Does anyone else think it's odd that Roy and Haley are riding in the back of the group? I sincerely hope it is that, and not that the rest have already been captured and eaten.

Roy, Roy, Roy...the fighter's first duty, armed or not, is to be in front. Never forget that.
    Whadda ya mean, Orcs got levels too?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andorax
    Does anyone else think it's odd that Roy and Haley are riding in the back of the group? I sincerely hope it is that, and not that the rest have already been captured and eaten.

Roy, Roy, Roy...the fighter's first duty, armed or not, is to be in front. Never forget that.
    Actually, in the D&D circles I move in, the default marching order puts one strong melee combatant at the front of the party and one at the back to play rear guard, while the vulnerable casters are in the middle where enemies who attack from either side will have to go through at least one warrior to get to them. Belkar is probably at the head of the party, leaving Roy to demonstrate the value of a rear guard who never looks back.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish
    Actually, in the D&D circles I move in, the default marching order puts one strong melee combatant at the front of the party and one at the back to play rear guard, while the vulnerable casters are in the middle where enemies who attack from either side will have to go through at least one warrior to get to them. Belkar is probably at the head of the party, leaving Roy to demonstrate the value of a rear guard who never looks back.
    Yeah, i can picture Belkar out in front searching for enemies to fight weapons drawn.

Why do thenemies always attack at the wrong end lol.

But yeah I think there should be some one strong front and back just in case.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish
    Belkar is probably at the head of the party, leaving Roy to demonstrate the value of a rear guard who never looks back.
    But, honestly, with Belkar's spot (as seen in many other strips), would you want him in the back? I know I probably wouldn't... Although Haley missing them is concerning, but maybe she's not that kind of rogue. ;)
    Reading comprehension - Step one to better gaming.

The Rulebooks, Errata, and FAQs are your friends... Look to your friends for help.

"Man, people freak against d20 like they're old people and d20 is on their lawn."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

I would guess that Belkars at the front with Durkon; after all, Durkon wuld be a very good fighter if he had a better head for maths.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'd imagine that Roy is in the back simply so he can have an unobstructed view of the rest of the OOTS crew, namely Belkar and Elan.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gee Vee
    Actually, bournie said it's the third game of the classic Blizzard RTS series. Poorly worded, but that does in fact refer to WC3, because it's the third game in the Warcraft series.
    He's referring to the trolls in the Orc barracks.
    Deliberately worded that way Gee Vee I was trying to get people to 'Think about it'.

Anyways not important, Our usual Marching order puts me (The Paladin, stereotypical knight in shining armour, complete with lance) at the front, ready to charge anything and the party cleric at the back. Bard and Mage in the middle and the rogue next to the cleric. Since none of them other than Elan have a ride check (Roy has a 1, maybe 3 or 4 after dex) it doesn't much matter, because they will have to dismount before attacking, especially Haley & V
    Visit my Blog @ www.iambournie.blogspot.com

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow you people talk a lot and fast. About Hailey, she uses a bow therefore she can take an untrained ride chek and shoot her bow while moving with a -4 attack or have the horse stand still and shoot for free.
    Long time game. Usually lurker.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Nahhhh... they're clearly a subspecies of ogre: the green ogres. You all know the song, surely:

"Green ogres are the race for me!
    Large size and all that reach, you see,
    Club swinging out so far and wide,
    They've got tough skin and armor that's made from hide!"

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, I sing a song and everyone is stunned into silence for several hours. I've got to remember this trick.

Looking at today's strip, I was wondering why Belkar was trying to scale a giant pencil for a moment. I have since splashed water in my face and can see things more clearly...

Was that an Indiana Jones reference in the last panel?

How hard would it have been for Roy to find a decent club in town, or is he the sort of fighter that won't go to clubs -- I mean, does he consider the most simple of simple weapons to be beneath him now that he has that MBA?

I'm rather surprised at him for owning only one weapon. I know it was a family heirloom and all, but no backup morning star or dagger (for those times you might want to hit something before it steps into range)? Not even a sling? I guess they never taught him the importance of diversifying his portfolio -- or maybe it does go back to an attitude toward simple weapons. Either that, or he's always found Granddad's sword satisfactory for all of his fighting needs up to now and asked himself if there was any reason to mess with a good thing.

One last thing: since the contents of a bag of tricks are summoned creatures, does this mean that Roy is serving low fat, zero calorie, no cholesterol hors d'oerurves?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower
    Wow, I sing a song and everyone is stunned into silence for several hours. I've got to remember this trick.

Looking at today's strip, I was wondering why Belkar was trying to scale a giant pencil for a moment. I have since splashed water in my face and can see things more clearly...

Was that an Indiana Jones reference in the last panel?

How hard would it have been for Roy to find a decent club in town, or is he the sort of fighter that won't go to clubs -- I mean, does he consider the most simple of simple weapons to be beneath him now that he has that MBA?

I'm rather surprised at him for owning only one weapon. I know it was a family heirloom and all, but no backup morning star or dagger (for those times you might want to hit something before it steps into range)? Not even a sling? I guess they never taught him the importance of diversifying his portfolio -- or maybe it does go back to an attitude toward simple weapons. Either that, or he's always found Granddad's sword satisfactory for all of his fighting needs up to now and asked himself if there was any reason to mess with a good thing.

One last thing: since the contents of a bag of tricks are summoned creatures, does this mean that Roy is serving low fat, zero calorie, no cholesterol hors d'oerurves?
    I just noticed the reference to Indiaina Jones lol

I think magic is fattening so I think that Ferret was about 100 calories and Trans fat.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like the little flying Belkar. Wonder what befall his fierce hound... (Well, the logical conclusion is, of course, a meatier hors d'oeuvre.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #357
    Pixie in the Playground

It's just a pity Trolls are Large, otherwise Roy might have finally been about to get himself a polearm.

Unless he's got Monkey Grip, of course. :)
    If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, they probably know something you don\'t.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmmm, will Roy just trade the bag of hors d'oeuvres for safe passage? Seems like a fair deal.
    Good. Bad. I\'m the guy with the gun.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder why Roy didn't just buy one of the overpriced axes that the man and his daughter were selling in 121.

30. - Top - End - #360

But... but...

It ate the furry, little ferret thingy... :'(

Never saw that one coming. :P
    You do realize that bringing people back from the dead is an act of utter evil and having the consent of the deceased only means you have an accomplice for your foul deed.&&&&-Shirwill Jack&&&&[currently NOT taking avatar requests]