New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Order Of The Stick: January

What is that thing that the dwarven blacksmith is holding in his left hand? Perhaps some sort of metal ore... in which case Roy must have failed a spot check seeing as he made the comment of the blacksmith not having any metal.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.&&Courage is what stupid people say.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHeavyfoot
    What is that thing that the dwarven blacksmith is holding in his left hand? Perhaps some sort of metal ore... in which case Roy must have failed a spot check seeing as he made the comment of the blacksmith not having any metal.
    I assumed that thing was a shard of the Greenhilt Family Blade.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

So, err, can we now without a doubt say that Belkar is Chaotic Evil? That bout cinched it for me. :-X

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

I'd bet money on it.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Don't forget, there's an all-new OOTS every weekday. Vaarsuius is shopping as we speak...
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Don't forget, there's an all-new OOTS every weekday. Vaarsuius is shopping as we speak...
    Love it!

I love the V gender reference in there. Personally, I beleive that V is a male, and I'll take the comment as the shopkeeper already being too stupid to tie their own shoes. Of course they'll hav problems about guessing V's gender!
    Fen aefre i Larin Niremied.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

:oSHE?!? :o

They Called V "SHE!"

I am so confused... :P

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

They are just stupid...
    V says "my conscience is now appeased"
    ... I wonder if it's because they decided to do a sale or because they think V is a girl
    Fair fight? I\'ll take survival over chivalry any day!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's because V did the best V could to convince them that they were losing money, and when they decided to do the "smart" thing and have a sale, V figured they were too far gone to be worth the trouble.
    Lurkaholic. Fetch me some more lurkahol.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

V... first rule. Unless you're lawful good AND a paladin or something, do NOT tell the shopkeepers when they deliberately cheat themselves. If you try too hard, they might actually take your advice. Just think for a second about what that means for any potions you need to buy...

And surely you all realize that The Giant threw in that gender reference solely to add heat and confusion to the gender debate. :P
    I am... no one.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

My comment on Vaarsuvius' potion purchase:

"Groan of Greater Groanage".
    (turns up regularly in our games)

And that's not a bird, it's a dreadful monster that got away!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    V... first rule. Unless you're lawful good AND a paladin or something, do NOT tell the shopkeepers when they deliberately cheat themselves. If you try too hard, they might actually take your advice. Just think for a second about what that means for any potions you need to buy...

And surely you all realize that The Giant threw in that gender reference solely to add heat and confusion to the gender debate. :P
    You must remember how suspectible V is to insults about his wizardry profession. V hates incompetent wizards, as proven by him scolding Elan.
    *Insert random Terry Pratchett quote here*

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

... Guys... u missed the point...

[glow=red,2,300]V IS A GIRL!!![/glow]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer

I wonder if you actually know what "good" means. Taking advantage of simple shopkeepers because they're not bright enough to know better wouldn't be a "good" act in my game :P Vaarsuvius did the right thing, then, realizign that these people would be better off out of business, tried to help them along...RESPECT.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

At last, undebateable in-strip contribution to the V gender debate! I love it :D
    Now if you don\'t mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cap_Hardman
    ... Guys... u missed the point...

[glow=red,2,300]V IS A GIRL!!![/glow]
    From the FAQ...

Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception—not the actual reality of the situation.
    Sorry, but no. V remains a very V-ian V, neither M nor F, but merely V.

Perhaps we should start calling V a vemale?
    \"Family man\" is a template that can be added to any male humanoid. He gains the subtype \"Tool.\"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Let's keep the V is female, not V is male debate to the thread deicated to it.

Now the only way these two wizards can make it is if creating the potions in bulk or acquiring them in bulk costs less than making each potion individually. In that instance, the wizards are right and they are probablly raking in the money.

There are a few stores around here that can do that, but they reduce the cost of acquiring the goods through questionable, if not illegal means. And they don't pay their employees enough.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

I think this comic held one simple purpose: to show that some people, however well-meaning, just shouldn't breed. :P
    "Damn! I get 25 EXP for sewing my own wounds?? I'm rippin' them babies out and sewing 'em again!" -- Bob, Knights of the Dinner Table

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

The truly scary thing is, I've actually MET people who fell for the "make it up in volume" fallacy. They didn't stay in business long.
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Invariel
    It's because V did the best V could to convince them that they were losing money, and when they decided to do the "smart" thing and have a sale, V figured they were too far gone to be worth the trouble.
    Nah. V was trying to get them to drop their prices even further, knowing all along that s/he was dealing with complete morons. That last was just an ironic comment.
    -- &&Helge Moulding

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Actually, it's quite debatable. Haven't you yet noticed that those shopkeepers have about 2 total points of Intelligence between them? Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that their Wisdom is average (because average-Wisdomed people can't figure out what gender V is), so they could be unusually perceptive. But I think then they would have noticed their profit going down.

22. - Top - End - #52

OldWizardGuy

I think it must be their Wisdom that's deficient. Even people who aren't that quick on the draw understand the concept of a profit margin -- there's a reason the Profession skill relies on Wisdom, not intelligence.

Plus, if their intelligences were truly that low, they would never have been able to become functional wizards in the first place.

Was there some kind of magical plague that sapped the Wisdom of people in this kingdom? They can't all have evil twins who smacked them in their soft, soft skulls during childhood.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

23. - Top - End - #53

OldWizardGuy

And now that I think about it, it's ridiculous to apply economic thinking to magic item generation. There's really no economic reason a Potion of Mage Armor must always cost 25 GP to make. If the potion is ingredient-based, then there are surely ways to make it more efficiently.

This is precisely why I've always favored using craft rolls to add "value" to raw components, using that to make magical items instead of just spending a set amount of gold.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

That is, of course, a big part of the joke. It makes very little sense for economics of scale to have no factor in the cost to make a potion. In game rules, there's no way you could ever brew a big vat of healing at once.

It's a wonder potion stores can stay in business. Weapons traders I can understand, since they get most of their money through the lack of a medieval ebay, and their guild monopoly allows no adventurer to ever get more than half worth for their plundered goods (with of course the lucky exception of those with a massive Bargain skill).
    Seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses float inconspicuously around the inside of hangar ninety six. I say that they are inconspicuous because it is their arms and legs which demand my attention. I did this, or I could have stopped it.

25. - Top - End - #55

OldWizardGuy

Incidentally, V should have used the word 'with' instead of 'on' in the fifth panel. If they lost more and more money on each sale, then their prices would have to keep dropping even lower the more they sold. The intended meaning seems to be that the total amount of money lost increases each time another potion is sold, and that equates to losing money with each sale.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Weapons traders I can understand, since they get most of their money through the lack of a medieval ebay
    Actually, such a thing does exist. It is called Yebay.

<--- Surprised his account still works

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Perhaps Rich has inserted an inside joke-like meaning in this strip... after all, he just put his book up for sale. Maybe someone tried convincing him of something stupid like that.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.&&Courage is what stupid people say.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground

And let's not factor the XP lost into the equation. While it is theoretically possible that you could make potions for no GP cost, if you acquire the components via question at no cost, as opposed to the generic &quot;you go to the magical supplies mart and drop 25 GP,&quot; there's still lost XP to consider. That's a pretty hefty price to pay, and most wizards are gonna want money to make it up.

I would do what V did in the end, though. Give them an honest shot at economic theory, and if they screw it up - well, I'll just buy everything in the store. :)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Rofl!

Fantastic Monty Python tribute today Keith! It even forced me to make to register to salute you!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Who the hell is &quot;Keith&quot;?
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~