New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: Entrance to Adventure [IC]

Michael

Excellent. The warforged of Thrane thank you Commodore. Incidentally, I have military experience, perhaps I would make a suitable commanding officer for Noname. I'm ready to move along as well.

EDIT: Michael took the "warmachine" comment to mean that it refers to Noname's personality, not the warforged as a whole, which is why he didn't take offense. The guy outright said he thinks warforged are people, and Mike will take him at his word..despite his somewhat intolerant language.
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-02-12 at 09:03 PM.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

2. - Top - End - #32

Cymran

Malphas... should have bound Malphas. Still its unlikely we will get very far in the search today, so tomorrow should be soon enough.
    the young man thought to himself while waiting for the discussion of payment to begin.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Noname

The momentary look on Noname's face (for those who could actually recognize such expressions on a warforged) was one of pain, embarrassment, and disbelief, which quickly hardened into its military stare. Noname, shocked at his apparent deviance (he had no idea he was standing in ranks and was standing at parade rest all this time), quickly straightened up where he was, gave a Cyran salute (the only one he knew), and shouted out at the top of whatever he had that resembled lungs. "SIR, YES SIR!" If he hadn't disturbed the bar yet, he had now, and now to top it off he was standing perfectly still where he had been when Commodore Tiach reprimanded him, which was blocking the entrance to the bar. The latter comments about him being more than a warmachine must have been blocked out from the severity of the first couple. As for the commanding officer, Noname didn't say anything, but ever since his old commanding officer, Belaean, Noname was not permitted to so hastily take a new commanding officer. He would at least have to see his new comrades in action and determine himself which one was of natural leadership quality. Not that he had is own opinion or free will or anything like that, but a war machine should be able to judge the competence of a person as leader. It's a natural function programmed in. Yes, that was it.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2008-02-12 at 11:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conrad

No other questions here.

After saying this, Conrad leans back in his chair, thinking to himself.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.
    -The Stranger, "The Big Lebowski"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna looks at the Commodore without flinching as he answers her question, noting the look of surprise on his face, then shrinking back a bit as he regains his composure.

..."warmachine"...?Limna gasps as she listens to the Commodore bark an order at the warforged.

I... want something extra as well. Something to make this worth my while, as it were... Since... since you seem to know so much about us, I want identification papers that will allow me to cross the Breland border without trouble. The real thing, not forgeries. I promise not to use them until our mission is accomplished... and I guess that means I'm accepting your offer, as it were, provided the price is right.

Limna's eyes dart to Jinna and, when they cross glances, she smiles briefly as if seeking her approval.

6. - Top - End - #36

Michael

Say friend, why don't you come back in here. You don't make a very good door. Come on over and calm down a bit, then we can get to the good parts, about the objectives.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am suddenly reminded of George and Lenny from Mice and Men. XD.
    Currently playing as:

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

"Very well, onto your price to attempt this mission for me." The Commodore smiles at Limna's request and the other comments. "Traveling papers can be arranged, and shown to you before you leave Sharn, however, if you don't intend to use them until after you finish the mission, whether successfully or not, you won't mind me holding onto them until your return."

Leaning back in his chair, he looks over each of you, slowly and one at a time. "I will pay you 400 gold apiece for the mission. 100 in advance, 300 upon your return, not dependent on success or failure."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

Jinna snorts. "I thought you'd done your homework better than that, commodore. You know well enough this isn't my usual kind of work, or you should, so you also ought to know I don't come pre-equipped like some of these fellows." She waves a hand towards the armored men and warforged. "And if I'm going to be anywhere near a fight, I don't much fancy doing it in just a dress. With that kind of expense factored in, that pay barely breaks even for me, and I like to think I value my health a little more than breaking even. Maybe the boys work for charity, but I don't. Try higher."

Spoiler
    Show
    Haggling time! Opposed Diplomacy, with a power point spent on Empathy to get a +2 bonus: (1d20+16)[31] I'm not really sure how much the price would go up or down, so I guess I'll leave that for you to decide based on the results.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #39

Cymran

As Jinna took the lead in negoatations, Cymran verbally moved into support her, "There is also the matter of other expenses besides armor and weapons. We are going to need a ship or a boat. Given that we are going to be going after pirates, I can't imagine any sane captain doing that on the cheap. Plus we are going to need to gather intel and that means spreading gold around in unsavory areas."

Spoiler
    Show

Aid another Diplomacy
    (1d20+12)[25]
    Last edited by estradling; 2008-02-13 at 09:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Must... not... break... rank... Noname was determined to fulfill his military training by whatever means necessary. The fact that he was taking orders from a Brelish military officer instead of a Cyran was sort of lost to him in the heat of the moment. Nontheless, he remained silent and still until otherwise ordered to move. You didn't just break rank when a drill sergeant called it just because a lower officer politely asked you to move. That was bad soldiermanship. Soldierman... yea, that's the right word.

11. - Top - End - #41

Kobold

The Commodore grimaces before relaxing again. "So I started low, the purpose is to get you to tell me the amount that you think you should get for something such as this. Padding the amount for some bargaining, to arrive at a price, hopefully agreeable to both parties of course." He grins, "I did like your reasoning though, keep that up throughout the process and it'll be very enjoyable. As to a ship, I suppose what you tell the captain is up to you, and of course how you go about it once we have agreed upon your price is for you to decide. I just thought you might do something a little different."

He pauses thinking a moment, "Very well then, 700 gold pieces, 300 up front, 400 upon return."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna glances sideways openly at Jinna as the Commodore speaks about money. 700 gold pieces is more money than she has ever seen in her whole life put together... and papers to go to Aundair! That alone is worth the price of admission to this ticket. Jinna can probably look after them both better now...

Limna looks over at the Warforged called Noname, still standing by the door. Waiting until the Commodore looks away from her, Limna slips away from the table and approaches the living construct with a fearful smile and eyes blazing with awe. I don't think I've ever seen one this big before...

Excuse me? Warforged? My name is Limna. Pardon my asking but I am very curious... why are you called Noname?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

"Better—but make the total nine hundred apiece. You need this done before someone else gets annoyed enough with these pirates to take them out, after all—if you want to gain anything out of it." Jinna smiles winsomely. "I guarantee you that the pirates aren't making any friends among Sharn's... businessmen. Even if they're smart enough to try to avoid offending anyone, they can't still make a profit without eventually getting on someone's bad side. And that means we have to move quickly... and rush means risk, you know." She tilts her head sideways, still smiling. "But we'll be reasonable about it. We just need enough to cover expenses to begin with. Two-fifty up front, six-fifty when the job's done."

14. - Top - End - #44

Michael
    Thinking to himself:
    Hm. The Commodre enjoys haggling. It appears this women finds it enjoyable as well. Really, I would have joined on for the initial offer, but I'll see how far up they can manage. I could always use the extra money for more food for Solomon* and perhaps having an extra spear wouldn't hurt. Or extra arrows. If the price gets too opulent for my tastes there's always orphanages or animal shelters that need donations. Probably the animal shelters..they always have kittens.**

*his Deinonychus mount
    **Michael sometimes feels alienated by humanoids, but he has a soft spot for animals, who don't treat him any differently than anyone else. He is particularly fond of kittens, especially the ginger ones.
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-02-16 at 12:24 PM.
    Currently playing as:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conrad

Unsure of himself in the world of haggling for prices, Conrad avoids eye contact as he cautiously interjects himself into the the intricate dance between Jinna and the half-elf Commodore, crossing his fingers underneath the table and hoping that he is not committing some grievous faux pas.

While we are on the subject, I am willing to forfeit a bit of my payment for information if you have it when we get back, if that helps you make up your mind about the fee. . .Jinna, was it. . .is suggesting. Of course, if obtaining the information looks like it'll be more expensive than you wind up paying us, don't bother.

Pausing for a moment, the red head straightens himself up and looks directly at the Commodore

I hope I make myself clear that if you do look into my matter, whatever costs you might incur are my responsibility, and mine alone. No one else at this table should have what's rightfully theirs denied them on my behalf.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

For the time being, Noname's about as animate and talkative as a statue, and the resemblance is uncanny. Still stuck in military mindset, he remained standing at attention even when Limna approaches him.

17. - Top - End - #47

Cymran

At Jinna's new counter offer, Cymran couldn't help but smile a bemused grin. She clearly knew what she wanted. He wouldn't have pushed any farther, but he wouldn't say no to an extra two hundred if she could get it

18. - Top - End - #48

Kobold

"900 gold? hmmm" The Commodore pauses, thinking it over. "Very well then, I find the amount satisfactory."

Looking at Conrad he smiles, "Information has it's own price, dependent on what type of information it is and who wants it, and what they are willing to pay for it of course." He glances at Jinna, before pulling out a piece of paper and passing it to her. "A letter of credit, for the amount of 1500gp. As per our agreement."

Looking back to Conrad, "what sort of information do you want me to look into for you?"

19. - Top - End - #49

Cymran

The young man nods as an agreement is reached, "OK I see at least two things we need to do. Hit the streets for any and all information that doesn't travel through 'official' channels. And we need to acquire transport to get us where the pirates are. This are both in addition to any personal items we might want to get. Is there anything else?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conrad

Well, you clearly know a bit about us, so I wouldn't be surprised if you knew already. I was stationed with two units during the way. i would like to know what happened to the first one I was with, specifically, whether or not the healer survived the war. Like I said before, if it's too much trouble, do not bother.

At this the assertive position the young man had taken is relaxed.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

Jinna takes the letter of mark with a practiced smile, eyes flicking downward inconspicuously while he's not looking just to check that it is signed and notarized for the proper amount; a reflex, that, both checking and hiding the fact that she was checking. People who thought you were suspicious of them became suspicious of you. So he doesn't trust us not to cut and run with the money, does he? A lot harder to cash in a letter of mark in a hurry than it is to take plain gold... might just be the nobility, though; they use paper money for everything. "Thank you, commodore. Before we go about our business, can you give us a list of the ships that have been attacked? A partial one, if you don't have the full one on you."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna creeps back to her chair next to Jinna, glancing back at the Warforged still standing in front of the door. She sits and looks at the Commodore with suspicion.

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling sense motive again to see if he's still being fishy...
    [roll=Sense Motive]1d20+5[]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sorry, didn't get that quite right
    Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive - (1d20+5)[15]

24. - Top - End - #54

Cymran

Seeing the warforged standing like a statue, and idea struck Cymran and he couldn't completely hide the smile. "Unit designated Noname. Status report. How close are your to fulling your mission to choose a new commanding officer?"

25. - Top - End - #55

Michael

I agree. That fee is more than adequate, but additional information on the pirates would be helpful. Where do they usually attack, and at what hours? Is there any discernible pattern at all? Are they a united band of criminals, or are they different groups of pirates?
    Currently playing as:

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"SIR! ACCORDING TO ORDERS FROM MY PREVIOUS COMMANDER, I AM UNABLE TO DESIGNATE A SUPERIOR OFFICER DURING ANY MISSION WITHOUT CAREFUL DELIBERATION AND MENTAL PROCESSES, SIR!" Again at the top of whatever warforged have that resemble lungs, again in pure military style, and yet again getting caught up in the heat of the moment, as he pretty much treated Cymran with the same respect he treated the Commodore despite his words. While Noname might take awhile to designate a true commanding officer, it was clear he was still easily manipulated with the right attitude.

27. - Top - End - #57

Michael

Commodore, I think perhaps you should order him to come here and quiet down. I don't think he understands requests...he's more used to orders.

Michael didn't expect Doorforged to respond that loudly and is visibly startled.
    Currently playing as:

28. - Top - End - #58

Kobold

The Commodore nods to Jinna, "I can have a list sent to you if that would be sufficient. The latest ship attacked was owned by a merchant named Aelowim, who should still be in town. Beyond that I'll send you the list."

He stands as Michael asks his question, "Well, they primarily patrol the route between the ocean and the Hilt, beyond that, timing just seems to be when they come across merchant ships."

"I must be going now, if you have any other questions for me, leave them at a House Sivis message station and I will retrieve them or have them sent to me." He settles his cloak over his shoulders, in preparation of the drizzle outside and steps close to Noname.

"At ease Noname," he smiles, "as I've given you an order to choose your next commander I am not going to countermand that, however if you wouldn't mind my opinion, I would recommend following the orders of Jinna there, at least until you figure out who you are going to designate as your commander."
    Last edited by maktul; 2008-02-28 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typed the wrong name

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"SIR, YES, SIR!" Noname went to parade rest before marching over to the others. "Which way is it towards the dock where we'll find the merchant?" Much more relaxed now, at least compared to the way he was before, he could now ask the question he'd been holding in since he was told to stand at attention, namely which way to go.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

Jinna nods to the commodore as he leaves, remaining seated. There was no better way of announcing business was completed than to all leave at once in different directions. If that thing hasn't already announced it, anyway. She eyes Noname as it comes back to the table, concealing her discomfort with it. Can that thing really think? It isn't acting as though it can. If this mission wasn't going to end in a fight, I'd probably try to lose it. Hopefully, it won't get us killed before then. She keeps her voice conversationally low; hard for anyone not at the table to hear, but not a whisper. "We're not going to the docks just yet. First things first—I've some things I'd like to purchase. Limna, you should probably get some armor or something to protect you too, if you don't already have it—we can handle that together. Then the lot of us are going to see what we can dig up about these pirates. The way I see it, either they have connections in Sharn, and we can sniff those out, or they don't, in which case there'll be plenty of other people annoyed at them."

"We'll need to keep it quiet, too." She glances at the warforged, to make sure it understood that meant no more shouting. "Last thing we want is word about what we're doing getting around."