New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: Entrance to Adventure [IC]

Jinna

Careful, Lim, too open. If you talk too much, words gets around... Her silent warning goes unsaid, though.

"Oh, a pirate wouldn't sail under a real flag, would he?" Jinna asks casually, twirling a glass on the table as if bored by Limna' questions. "Darguun sounds nice. But I don't know as I'd want to sail there now, what with these pirates." She sets the glass down and looks up, flashing a smile, then tilts her head as if an idea occurred to her. "You were a privateer, right? How'd you know what ships to hit?"
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-04-24 at 01:35 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maurkov View Post
    The bugbear shrugs.

Ginny is apologetic, shooting a reproachful look at Aelowim when he crosses the entry room on his way out. She takes your names and says that she'll find someone else who was there and have them contact you.

Back on the street, Aelowim is still in sight, strolling.

Cymran groaned softly as Noname added in his two bits when talking to Aelowim. They had just talked about the need to not tell all the details to people they didn't know for sure they could trust, and he goes off blabbing to the first man they meet. Clearly he didn't get it, so they would other means to make sure Noname wouldn't mess things up.

As Michael works to line up more help, Cymran is in deep thought. When he sees Aelowim walking an idea comes to mind. "Guys... The be nice approach didn't work on Aelowim so I am thinking something more aggressive, but still legal," with a nod to ward Michael the objection he is sure to raise. "Why don't you guys go on up ahead, I'll catch up."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Noname

He watched Aelowim leave and thought about the situation perplexedly. "I do not understand... Why would the merchant turn us away after clearly stating we were here to help alleviate him from his pirate problems? This seems very suspicious..." At Cymran's words, he perks up. "'Aggressive' is an adjective I am more strongly suited for. If you are thinking of forceful interrogation, perhaps I could be of assistance? Following behind of course, especially since stealth is required."

4. - Top - End - #124

Michael

To Noname:
    Yes, that does seem strange.

To Cymran:
    Well for now Ginny is going to try to get us a different contact, so that may not be necessary.

Why don't we pass the time by trailing him while you try to convince me of approving of your plan?
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

"So, where would those pirates go to sell the goods they have stolen?"

"Cogs," he says, referring to the lowest levels of Sharn. "There are people who watch; Anything nice gets scooped up and resold at the higher levels."

"Oh, a pirate wouldn't sail under a real flag, would he?"

The bugbear grins, "Why not? Breyland's already has it out for them, and who in Darguun would care?"

"You were a privateer, right? How'd you know what ships to hit?"

"We'd chase anything than ran from us. We had a diviner to sniff out their tricks. Gods, I hate gnomes."

The bugbear figits. Maybe he realizes he's been blabbing. He guzzles the rest of his tea in likely preparation for leaving.

---

Those who are following Aelowim, if you wish to do so covertly, I'll need hide checks.
    Business Trip 6/7 - 6/18. I'll try to keep up.
    Gwydr

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Karaswanton View Post
    Well for now Ginny is going to try to get us a different contact, so that may not be necessary.

Why don't we pass the time by trailing him while you try to convince me of approving of your plan?

"My plan involves 'making it up as I go along' which makes it kind of hard to give details on. I do know that I need to give him something else to focus on other then Nonames revelations of our plan. And no offense meant, but while I can make him think I am someone else, I can't do the same for the two of you if you are clunking along behind me."

7. - Top - End - #127

Michael

Improvisation is always good, but I'm afraid I'll need a little detail before I let you go about intimidating people.
    Currently playing as:

8. - Top - End - #128

Cymran's eyes narrow, he had heard about these Silver Flame people and was afraid of some thing like this. "Before you'll let me?!?! Are you aware just how tyrannical that makes you sound? I time last I checked I didn't sign up for you to be my mother. I did sign up to be a part of a group, and I am a man of my word. So you were given a heads up." He let Naberius's growling deeper voice break through, "But don't ever presume that it gives you the right to control me!"

9. - Top - End - #129

You're in a minor business district near the wharfs, and the forcefulness of Cymran's speech draws some looks. In passing, one man can be heard saying to his companion, "Whoa. I'm glad I don't work for one of those."
    Gwydr

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Noname

"Roger that. I will... hm, I suppose with no destination set we can't really commission a vessel, can we?" Then the argument started. For the time being, Noname didn't react. Dissension among ranks was a very poor way to start out a mission, but once again he had to remind himself these weren't soldiers. For the time being he wasn't sure how to react.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna looks at the bugbear as he makes his motions to leave, then at Jinna.

If you had a diviner, how come the gnomes sank your ship?

12. - Top - End - #132

"To answer that would require a necromancer. Good day, ladies."
    Gwydr

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by estradling View Post
    Cymran's eyes narrow, he had heard about these Silver Flame people and was afraid of some thing like this. "Before you'll let me?!?! Are you aware just how tyrannical that makes you sound? I time last I checked I didn't sign up for you to be my mother. I did sign up to be a part of a group, and I am a man of my word. So you were given a heads up." He let Naberius's growling deeper voice break through, "But don't ever presume that it gives you the right to control me!"
    Micheal rolls his eyes, and then says quietly
    Tyrannical? Me? I'm not the one proposing we violently intimidate a local merchant into giving us some information which we can get elsewhere. The last time I checked, tyrants are the ones who use force to impose their will on people, which isn't what I'm doing, you are the one doing that my friend. Besides, I've lived under the flag of Karnath for a good part of the Last War, and the nation my religion is founded in doesn't recognize the fact that I am a person. Don't talk to me about tyranny, kid.

Oh, and that growling you have there? I've only heard people inhabited with evil spirits have that kind of growl before. If you want my help in making sure it doesn't unduly influence you I'll be there for you. And if you don't want my help and it takes control of you...

The warforged's face darkens, and he points to his spear.

..well, I suppose I'll be there for you then too. Now if you'll excuse this clunking metal man I think we had something important to do before you blew our cover.
    Currently playing as:

14. - Top - End - #134

Cymran

"Threatening to disembowel a teammate because he will not do thing things your way is the very definition of tyranny. You want to strike me down then you better do so now. Because I am going to keep my word and do this job the way I see fit, and you just lost any right to convince me otherwise. Use your spear because that is the only way you are stopping me." With that Cymran turns away and begins walking down the street.

15. - Top - End - #135

Michael

Hold on there!

Spoiler
    Show

Touch Attack for Grapple: (1d20+3)[15] Note that Cymran is flat-footed and therefore does not get an AoO nor his Dex to AC.

Grapple check: (1d20+3)[21]

If Grapple succeeds:
    [SPOILER]
    I'm sorry if my words have offended you, I just want to make sure you don't hurt the man. That isn't necessary, we can find some other way to get the information. In fact, we already have an alternate contact who will get in touch with us.[SPOILER]

If it doesn't:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, I just want to talk! Don't hurt him!

To the rest of the party:
    let's get a move on, we can't let him go around hurting people.
    Currently playing as:

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna whimpers, barely audible... Necromancer?

She looks over at Jinna as the bugbear gets up. When the humanoid is out of earshot, she says, half in a whisper, Do you think that he knows the pirates we're after?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

Jinna nods companionably to the departing bugbear. She moves her stool over to Limna's so that they can talk a little more easily without being overheard. "Probably not. Little less direct next time, Lim. People who deal with pirates don't like to be asked too many questions. Answering them to the wrong person might get them in trouble with the law." She shrugs. "I wish our employer had thought to bring a list of who the pirates had attacked and when. Knowing that would be a lot of help in figuring out where they might be holing up."

"Think we should bother trying to sniff out a fence in the Cogs to see if any of the stolen goods have popped up here?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna looks a bit abashed at Jinna's admonition, opening her eyes wide and nodding curtly.

Limna shrugs at the question.Dunno... wouldn't we need to know what stuff got stolen in order to do that more effectively? The Cogs is not far from the Lightning Rail shops... it's not a nice area to go around poking, unless you're seeking for something specific.

Limna looks around. I'm really feeling like we should get a hold of the others and get moving. suddenly she remembers something. Wait. The Commodore said he would send you a list of the ships that were attacked, didn't he? Do you think he'd leave it for us at the Sivis Message Station like he said?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

"Probably a good idea to find out what they've stolen first," Jinna agrees, standing. "Message station it is, then. Maybe we'll run into the others and we can check to see what they've got."

20. - Top - End - #140

Cymran

"Drop!"
    The words are a hissed whisper carrying a forceful note of command.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Naberius - Persuasive Words Michael needs to make a Will Save versus Dc 14 or 'Drop,' him on your next action, and you can't pick him up again until your following turn.

Knowing that they were drawing way to much attention he still whispers harshly, "Do you really think I am so morally corrupt to think killing or physical harm is an appropriate response to someone who only crime is to have been, at worst, rude to us? Even if you doubt that, do you really think I am stupid enough bringing the city guard down on us, by attacking a merchant? However a warforged forcibly grabbing a human out in the open is sure to be seen the wrong way."
    Last edited by Maurkov; 2008-04-28 at 11:30 PM.
    Gwydr

21. - Top - End - #141

Michael

The warforged lets go, no Will save required.

Well, we are acting in a mercenary capacity at the moment. Lots of mercs turn out to be pretty seedy people, and it sounded like you wanted to rough him up. Besides, I don't know you well enough to know your morals--or whether or not you have common sense. Lots of people don't.
    I apologize for the assumption. Though for future reference, we'll find it easier to work with each other if you are a bit more clear on your preferred methods in the future.

Anyway, we should go after this guy if we haven't already ruined the opportunity. And by "we" I mean "you" since Noname and I aren't the best trackers.

Noname and I will wait around for the other contact to show. The more info the better.
    Currently playing as:

22. - Top - End - #142

Cymran

The young man nods. He forces himself to keep his mouth shut, with Naberius's prodding he could think of plenty of things to say, but none of it would be helpful, and most of it would stir up things that didn't need to be stirred up any more. He had gotten to the point he had wanted to get to, but what had it cost them? All so he could chase a lead that had a good chance of not going anywhere.

Cymran eyes the surrounding area looking for his target and trying to judge the crowds reaction.

23. - Top - End - #143

((The disposition of the crowd is pretty much, "no blood no foul." Some onlookers disperse when it looks like you won't be killing each other. Some others hang around in case you change your minds.

Aelowim has a pretty good head start, but he is a big guy and stands out. I still need that hide check if you don't want him to know you're following.

"Noname and I will wait around for the other contact to show"
    Is that the one Ginny promised to locate? She was aiming for tomorrow, most likely.))
    Gwydr

24. - Top - End - #144

Cymran

Seeing Aelowim moving away Cymran pulls up the soaked hood of his cloak putting his face in shadow. Then as he begins to follow after the Merchant, as he does so his shadowed features begin to change, morphing under the hood. Cymran follows while taking advantages of any breaks in line of sight to further alter his appearance. Hoping that the changes will cause Aelowim to think it is a different person each time he looks back

Spoiler
    Show

Using Naberius's Disguise Self to change his appearance.

Hide Check - (1d20+2)[20] if needed

Last edited by estradling; 2008-05-02 at 10:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Noname

"So, Michael, if Cymran is tailing the merchant, the girls are investigating other possible leads, we won't meet the contact the secretary's promised us until tomorrow, and we can't commission a boat without knowing when and where we're sailing to, then are there any duties left for us to perform?"

26. - Top - End - #146

The ladies find a Sivis station and as promised, the list is there: Seventeen ships, dates, and names (captains? owners?). Each attack is about three days from the one before, though as short as one and as long as six. It will be a daunting (3+ day) task to turn that into a list of cargoes.

---

Cymran picks up Aelowim near the end of the level, in line, waiting for a lift. Relying on his disguise, he joins the queue and is just able to catch the same platform. Up two levels and south to the seaward edge of the city, Aelowim enters an upscale restaurant called The Elements. He is seated alone at a table for four.
    Gwydr

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna looks over the list nervously, then up at Jinna.

Wow. That's a lot of ships. Those pirates have quite the operation going there, it seems. Maybe we should go and find the others, decide if we want to pursue this line of investigation, and get their help. What do you think?
    Last edited by cintain; 2008-05-05 at 12:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

The ladies make their way to Southside on the off chance of running into their companions. Against odds, from their flying bridge they catch sight of the warforged on the next causeway.

---

The warforged are debating their next move when a group of maybe a dozen sailors approaches, laughing, shoving, and joking with each other. Ten feet from Noname, one of them stops and loudly says, "Look! Anchors!" The others guffaw.

((I got bored. Roll Init. I assume Cymran's otherwise occupied.))
    Gwydr

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

"I think you're right. Too many ships to figure out their cargoes." She sets out with Limna for the docks.

"... does tell us they're holed up within just a few days' sail of Sharn, though," Jinna is saying quietly as they reach the apex of the bridge. "And what that guy said earlier, about how they don't go for navy bait—that means they've either got eyes and ears in Sharn, or a mage on the crew who can tell that sort of thing." She breaks off on seeing the warforged. "Oh, look. There's some of them, anyway." She quickens her pace. Too bad it's the tin cans. Where'd the other get off to, and why'd he leave them alone?

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Maurkov View Post

Cymran picks up Aelowim near the end of the level, in line, waiting for a lift. Relying on his disguise, he joins the queue and is just able to catch the same platform. Up two levels and south to the seaward edge of the city, Aelowim enters an upscale restaurant called The Elements. He is seated alone at a table for four.
    The young man chooses to wait, he wanted to talk to Aelowim alone. He could do it inside the restaurant, but he wanted to make sure he wasn't expecting any guests. And Cymran wanted to get a feel for the restaurant itself, see what kind of security was in place before he goes in