New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Merchants of Elm (IC)

Lonna

Out of the corner of her eye Lonna could see the dangerous looking stranger taking up a combat position as he approached. Good gods, he's going to be trouble after all, and I can't afford to look like a trouble magnet if I want the family to let me help them. I've got to get rid of them for a little while. Keeping her voice and expression cheerful, Lonna turned to the others.

"It doesn't seem like anything more can be accomplished out here. Why don't you go back inside, out of the wind? I'll catch up in a few minutes; I have some minor business to attend to, then I'll follow you."
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

For a long moment Saker tries to come up with a reply, but words have left him. For a while he drifts to the side and watches proudly as his brother's children conduct business in a most professional manner. He doesn't seem to notice Lonna's increased tension.

"Well, I don't know much about yawls or construction. I think I'll stay out here with Lonna so that I can talk with her a bit after she finishes her business."

With this he tries to drift unobtrusively to the side where he quietly leans against his spear. He's been in much worse weather, and his leather armor is an effective windbreaker anyway. A little discomfort is nothing compared to speaking longer with his brother's daughter.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-17 at 07:03 PM.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

3. - Top - End - #273
    Halfling in the Playground

Draego

will turn for the office. "What remains to be done to take posession of her? Shouldn't we be loaded and ready to go as soon as the weather turns?" He chats quietly with everyone as they head towards the front office.

Sense Motive - (1d20)[3]
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

4. - Top - End - #274

OOC: I'm going to assume that whether or not William noticed Lonna's tension (and his roll was high enough he probably did) he would want to stay out with Lonna rather than go in with her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    Saker

"Well, I don't know much about yawls or construction. I think I'll stay out here with Lonna so that I can talk with her a bit after she finishes her business."
    Lonna

Lonna winced internally at her uncle's words, but there was nothing she could say that would not raise suspicion. I'll just have to hope that he keeps this to himself.

As soon as the rest of the family members were out of earshot, Lonna muttered to Saker, "Please don't worry; I know what I'm doing." I hope. Facing the dangerous-looking stranger, she deliberately moved until he would have to pass her to reach William or her uncle, then placed one hand on her rapier.

"Who are you?" she called, "And why are you following me?"
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    OOC: I'm going to assume that whether or not William noticed Lonna's tension (and his roll was high enough he probably did) he would want to stay out with Lonna rather than go in with her family.
    ((Yeah, I was just waiting for official conformation from AP that it was good enough, but I'm pretty sure it was. <.<; ))

William

Noticing Lonna's sudden shift in stance, William remained silent, but looked up at her quizzically. It didn't take him long to figure out the object of her tension.

He shuffled a little bit behind Lonna, unconsciously seeking to hide behind her as he watched the man.

"Who are you?" And why are you following me?"
    He peeked out at the man, trying to remember where he had seen him before, and placing a hand on the dagger that had been clumsily hung from his belt. "You're the guy from Mrs. Jonae's store!" He blurted out, likely ruining the tension a tad.
    Last edited by Sornas; 2008-03-18 at 03:56 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Sornas by Lord Iames Osari, Thanks! ^_^

Spoiler
    Show
    My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
    Luke, I Am Your Tedious, Overused Plot Device!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rustin doesn't reach for a weapon as that would only exacerbate things. He was not here for a fight, but for a person. and since she was willing to talk first, he would be willing. He stayed combat ready though, since she didn't have a pleasant look in her eye and he knows what it feels like to think your being followed.

Rustin stopped where he was as moving would also cause her to attack. He ignores the first question and hopes she doesn't notice when he talks about the second. "I'm not following you. This is all mere coincidence." That's when the young boy behind her stated the obvious, but he felt he should say something in responce. "I was only getting information from Bert. That is all."
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Venistara, Garrin, Draego, Orgin:

The office may only be a partitioned-off cube on the edge of a drafty warehouse, but it feels welcomingly warm when you step in out of the damp. The yawl agent is not so welcoming; unlike earlier his office is now empty of other clients and employees, and judging by his frown at your entrance he liked it that way. He sighs heavily as he shoves aside the documents he was working on, shuffles through a stack of records and pulls out the contract he had pushed on you before. Shoving it across his desk he forces a smile and speaks.

"She's a real workhorse of a yawl, huh? Here's the payment authorisation, just need a signature and a seal."

Acanthe stands near the back of the group, obviously not feeling herself qualified to dabble in the matters of merchants.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-03-18 at 11:04 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

8. - Top - End - #278
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Garrin

"A yawl? More like a keel attached to a hunk of rotting wood. We have cargo to haul that needs to be kept from poor weather -- that sieve out there isn't going to cut it."

He pauses briefly for effect. "She needs repairs and some weatherproofing. If you've got folks who can do that in a week, you can have your price. Otherwise, we need to discuss a change in terms."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

The yawl agent doesn't look surprised, but he does sound a little angry when he speaks.

"Well, we can get our workers out there to weatherproof it, sure. But that'll raise the price. She's being sold as-is." The agent pauses for a second to watch your reaction before continuing. "See, weather might not be so great for your cargo, but there's one thing that's worse for it, and that's sitting here rotting for another year. You want a yawl at this time of year you got two choices: pay an arm and a leg, or just pay an arm for a beater."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor

Orgin appreciated a man who took a hard line with his customers. More to the point, a man like this probably took quite a bit of pride in his reputation.

Rifling off the list of complaints, the professor pipes up behind, "The inside wood is damaged quite badly, there are bats infesting her gullet, and smells as though something died inside the cabin."

Scratching idly at his goatee, he smoothly lied, "And frankly, the keel was in such a poor condition it might go at any minute. If it goes before you sell the thing, then you get no money for her, rather than a much more modest fee."

The professor throws Garrin a sideways glance. "We're a hardy lot, and we'd be willing to take her off your hands... having her collapse someplace else. But to do that, you'd need to work with us on this price... there's too much risk as it is."

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff Check:(1d20+6)[17]
    ((The keel actually seems fine to the professor. But the rest of the problems are pretty bad.))
    friends don't let friends make skill check jokes...

11. - Top - End - #281
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Garrin

"I agree, let's all be reasonable. We need a yawl, true, but if we're going to be ensuring failure by exposing our cargo to ruin, then we might as well not bother. And then where are you? Stuck with a yawl rotting even further in your yard, taking up space and not putting a single copper ring in your pocket."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by McMindflayer View Post
    "I'm not following you. This is all mere coincidence." That's when the young boy behind her stated the obvious, but he felt he should say something in responce. "I was only getting information from Bert. That is all."
    Lonna

Lonna eyed the stranger critically, then relaxed marginally. He had made no offensive moves, and his story rang true to her ear - though there was still the possibility that he was just very good at lying. Though still tensed in case he tried anything, she released her hold on her rapier hilt.

"That may be true, but what are you doing here then? And you still haven't told me who you are," she added challengingly. She was half-convinced that he was telling the truth, but if there was one thing she had learned in her time away from home, it was that it never paid to be too trusting.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Yawl Office:

As Orgin speaks, the agent pulls out a ledger from beneath the contract and flips through it. "Keel? The keel's tip-top." He tosses the ledger onto the desk, leaving an inspection report for all to see. When Garrin repeats his concern about the cargo, the agent seems to smile for the first sincere time today.

"You folks haven't run a yawl before, have you?" He chuckles. "Yawlers have been worried about rain since the first keel crawled out of the Pit. What are you hauling, hides right? Mosses? Are the hides cured?" Whenever he talks he pages through his endless stacks of ledgers, documents and notes. "Achyllea of Elm... yeah, tanned mammoth hides, whoa, mammoth? Holy gods, you can afford this here cargo but you have to haggle over a yawl in the high season?" He shakes his head. "Look, our yard workers do a good job for a fair price. You give them four days they'll have you loaded up proper. They can wax your tarps for you, get a layer down on the floor, ivory on either side and the moss bales in the middle. Hides go on top. The moss is snug as a bug and the bug is left out in the cold. Then you cover the hides with more wax tarps. It's a hell of a juggling act but our boys have done it a thousand times."

OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The yawl is going for about 8000 gr, the entire remaining sum that was able to be kept out of the bankruptcy proceedings. About half that is held by the yawl yard already as earnest money, but most of it (minus fees) could be given back if you canceled the sale.

And, contrary to what the yawl agent says, you actually can't afford your cargo - through bribes, connexions and very high invesment rates you have the goods on consignment.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor

The professor delicately takes the declaration up and looks it up and down. He does his best to maintain a composure of being unimpressed.

Without looking up from the document he peers over, he addresses sideways to Garrin, "I don't doubt their men know how to pack a yawl, be it once or a thousand times. The problem truly stems from whether or not the thing will hold said shipment for the whole trip... making it go a thousand times will be great, but we'd need it to just do one for now."

He throws the ledger back down onto the clerk and it skips a little farther on the desk than intended. Apparently he put too much strength into it.

Adopting the patronizing tone similar to the clerk's, he beckons, "Replacing the wood will obviously jeopardize that keel. Do you also have a declaration for the wood's strength since its last fire? We have some concern, since the wood was so badly damaged inside, that it won't hold. Given the lack of repair options, it doesn't seem unreasonable to require a price revisit adjusting for said risk. Including said weathering, excuse the pun, would be a warm start."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

As she relaxes more he sighs. He knows she isn't completely out of her stance, and ready at any moment to throw her weapon down his throat, but he had some hidden knives and two axes on his hips in case she tries anything. He felt better that she wasn't actually threatening. Both were just being cautious, which is normal for the likes of them. He stands straight, not expecting any combat to happen. He straightens himself out a bit.

He then looks up and gives a weary and small smile. "My name is Rustin, I am here looking for a man by the name of Jerone Cook. Do you happen to know where I can find such a man? I have heard from some people that he is in this area."
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Yawl Office:

The agent looks Orgin up and down, and shoves the thrown-too-far ledger back to its place. "Look, you've been in this business, you know this: do I make the rules? Do I set the prices? That yawl had a minor fire that scorched some interior planking and was quickly put out. If I tried to change out the wood I might ground the whole thing. But if I sold yawls that weren't safe I'd lose my best clients and probably get lynched in the process. So we made absolutely sure that bin can fly."

As if on cue, a worker opens the rear door - the one that leads to the warehouse - and calls for the agent without actually stepping in. The agent slides the payment contract back toward the family.

"Look, if I let this thing go for anything less than what we listed at this time of year my boss'd kill me. I don't want to leave a sour taste in your mouth so if you take her today I'll throw in a week's free victuals for the whole crew, plus the peat you need to cook 'em on. If that isn't good enough then you're welcome to look elsewhere, or wait till mid June and if she's still here there might be a price reduction. Think it over, I'll be right back."

He puts on his cap and hollers to a worker as he goes through the door, pulling it shut behind himself.

17. - Top - End - #287

He then looks up and gives a weary and small smile. "My name is Rustin, I am here looking for a man by the name of Jerone Cook. Do you happen to know where I can find such a man? I have heard from some people that he is in this area."
    Lonna

When Rustin relaxed, clearly not intending to attack, Lonna did the same, mentally calculating that even if he rushed her, she would have time to draw her rapier before he could get inside her guard.

"Lonna Kite," she said, acknowledging his introduction by returning the courtesy. After all, she reasoned, I did start this whole scene. The least I can do is be polite now that he doesn't seem to be a threat.

"If this Mr. Cook is a local, I can't help you. The only man I've spoken to back here - aside from my family members - normally lives in Karr."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"It's a pleasure to meet you, L-Lonna." He said. He paused on her name becuase he did remember her from when he worked with him. He usually called any of the girls little miss and any of the boys little sir, as a way of being formal. He was on bodygaurd duty half the time, He remembered little about her. but the recognition of name with the face reminded him of that time.

"Well, He's supposedly in the area. He's a rather tall man, a little taller than I, and black. It's almost impossible to miss him." spoke Rustin as he looked around the yawl grounds. "And yet I can't see him anywhere. I was going to look inside the office, when this whole... thing started." He said, trying to sound eloquent and probably failing horribly.

19. - Top - End - #289

"Well, He's supposedly in the area. He's a rather tall man, a little taller than I, and black. It's almost impossible to miss him." spoke Rustin as he looked around the yawl grounds. "And yet I can't see him anywhere. I was going to look inside the office, when this whole... thing started." He said, trying to sound eloquent and probably failing horribly.
    Lonna

Lonna winced a bit at the tactful attempt to describe the situation. "I'm sorry about that. I've already run into some trouble today, and I have reason to believe I might attract more until I get out of town. I'm afraid I jumped to conclusions when I saw you for the second time in as many hours. As for the office, my family in there now, negotiating for this yawl. You may as well walk in with us- if my companions don't mind, that is," she added looking back at William and Saker.
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-03-19 at 12:00 AM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

The uncle tries to look relaxed and invisible instead of tensed and worried. He hadn't noticed how bloodied, bruised, and bandaged Lonna was at first but after those cryptic words of "Please don't worry; I know what I'm doing."... he was worried. He shifts uneasily on his feat hoping this man hasn't come to try to finnish whatever other job was started. I hope she knows what she's doing: with my luck any help I might try to offer would just make the situation worse. What has she gotten herself into?

"...if my companions don't mind, that is," she added looking back at William and Saker.
    Saker blinks at being so suddenly included in the conversation and shrugs.
    "Wha.. No, not at all." What else can I say? Anything else would be to abandon her. Saker thinks a touch bitterly. Why can't I have just a simple conversation with my niece?
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-18 at 10:44 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291

Saker

Saker blinks at being so suddenly included in the conversation and shrugs.
    "Wha.. No, not at all." What else can I say? Anything else would be to abandon her. Saker thinks a touch bitterly. Why can't I have just a simple conversation with my niece?
    Lonna

Lonna looked over her shoulder at her uncle. Despite his words of agreement, he didn't look happy. Remembering the reason Saker had given for staying out with her in the first place, she spoke quickly, but quietly enough that Rustin wouldn't be able to hear.

"Are you sure, Uncle? It's not a problem if you want to stay out here so we can have that conversation you mentioned. I don't think this man is a threat to the others, so there is no reason we must escort him inside." Glancing at William she added, "You only recognized him from the cobbler shop, right William? So he couldn't be one of the folks you were afraid of putting me in danger from. Worst case scenario someone with a grudge against the Kites hired him to make trouble, and that seems unlikely, else he would have attacked when I identified myself as a Kite. So you see," she finished, looking at her uncle again, "I was serious about my offer being conditional on your's and William's acceptance. You don't have to agree with my offer, and I'll find some excuse if you don't."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lonna
    "You only recognized him from the cobbler shop, right William? So he couldn't be one of the folks you were afraid of putting me in danger from. Worst case scenario someone with a grudge against the Kites hired him to make trouble, and that seems unlikely, else he would have attacked when I identified myself as a Kite.
    William nodded slowly, still making a point to keep Lonna between himself and this man. "I...guess so. But I don't really know what those people look like." He mumbled quietly as he looked towards the ground, obviously ashamed of his lack of relevant information.

"If you trust him, then I guess he is ok...if he really was one of those guys, he probably wouldn't be as nice as him."
    Despite his words, the boy still made no move to expose himself to this man, and would continue to shy away from him.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor

The transformation was quite noticeable. Seconds before, taking the hard line, the professor had pumped himself to his full height and width. Gesticulate and complain enough, generally a salesman would do something to placate.

When the door was shut, Orgin deflated. Finding a series of bottles, at his chest, he unpacks one and swallows down hard. "I am sorry, Garrin. A week of free food isn't much, but it's something."

The thought occurs to him that he has been stepping on toes. "And I apologize if hurt the business reputation. I figured two of us would be a stronger pull than one... But, of course, you know, you're in charge here." Slumping his shoulders inwards, the professor leans against a wall and frowns.

24. - Top - End - #294

Quote Originally Posted by Sornas View Post
    William nodded slowly, still making a point to keep Lonna between himself and this man.

"If you trust him, then I guess he is ok...if he really was one of those guys, he probably wouldn't be as nice as him." Despite his words, the boy still made no move to expose himself to this man, and would continue to shy away from him.
    Lonna turned just enough to put a reassurring hand on Williams shoulder. "I don't trust him, exactly, I just don't think he is a threat right now. If he does turn out to be one of the folks after you, he'll have to go through me to get you. I promised I'd protect you, and I don't go back on my word," she reminded him gently.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Lonna
    "Are you sure, Uncle? It's not a problem if you want to stay out here so we can have that conversation you mentioned. I don't think this man is a threat to the others, so there is no reason we must escort him inside."
    Saker

The uncle smiles weakly "That's sweat of you... you'll forgive you tired old uncle for being a bit unreasonable... It's just been an emotional week with your dad's death and your discovery. I'd love to walk slow and trade tales, but we'll have time enough later if you've still got 'business' to take care of.

Still, if you're serious about humoring an old man I'd be delighted if you'd start by introduce me to your companion"

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296

Saker

The uncle smiles weakly "That's sweat of you... you'll forgive you tired old uncle for being a bit unreasonable... It's just been an emotional week with your dad's death and your discovery. I'd love to walk slow and trade tales, but we'll have time enough later if you've still got 'business' to take care of.

Still, if you're serious about humoring an old man I'd be delighted if you'd start by introduce me to your companion"
    Lonna hesitated for an instant, the desire to speak with her Saker warring with the instinct to keep a close eye on a potential threat. Then, decision made, she looked back at Rustin.

"I am reminded that we still have some business to attend to out here before we can go in to the office," she called. "but if you are ever in need of copy-work I'll give you a discount, as an appology for overreacting a moment ago." The man looked shady enough that he would probably recognize the ephemism for forgery, though Lonna doubted her uncle would.

As Rustin passed, Lonna casually turned so as not to expose her back to him. Once he had disappeared among the yawls, however, she faced William and Saker and smiled warmly. "Uncle, allow me to officially introduce you to my newest friend. William, this is my uncle Saker. Uncle, William helped me out of a rough spot earlier. Thanks to him I only lost some blood, rather than something more difficult to replace," she explained, indicating her bandaged arm.

{{OOC: Rustin can still respond to Lonna if desired, I just wanted to establish that Lonna is actually just making an excuse to stay out and talk to Saker.}}
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

William

Willaim smiled at Saker, obviously more at ease once Rustin was out of sight. "Hi Uncle Saker!" He chimed, not really sure how one would greet someone like this. "Lonna has it wrong though, she saved me, I just did the bandage and tried not to get beaten up." He reflexively placed a hand on the side of his head, where a rather nasty bruise had begun to form, but there were no obvious wounds.

"So, are you really Lonna's uncle?"
    He looked between the two, "We had a really hard time finding you guys! Although, I did get to meet Jonae, so I guess it's alright."

Not really waiting for a response, he looked at Saker for a long moment, "Uncle Saker, you look like you aren't feeling so good. Here." He rummaged around in his pack for a moment, coming up with a rather good-looking red apple, offering it to the older man.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeks View Post
    Professor
    "And I apologize if hurt the business reputation. I figured two of us would be a stronger pull than one... But, of course, you know, you're in charge here."
    Acanthe shuffles her feet, adjusting her posture to distract herself from the silence that follows the professor's words. She looks at the three siblings and says softly, "It's your money, so I won't tell you what to do. It's flyable, that's all I'll say."

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

The smile on Saker's face grows a bit stronger and fuller as he listens to William.

"Heh, you don't have to call me 'Uncle' kid, I'm Lonna's uncle sure enough if she'll associate with a luckless man like me, but you..." Here Saker pauses for a moment and fails to think of a better name. "well I guess you can call me Uncle too, just keep the apple. You're still growing and need it more than me. Besides, while foods good for the belly it can only go so far to sooth a tortured soul." Saker finishes with a light smile as he begins a slow relaxed walk toward the contractors hut.

"So, Lonna, where have you been living all these years?"

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Rustin:

((I'm going to assume you go on to the office you were directed to. If that's premature then feel free to tap back a little. The office is different than the one the Kites are in.))

The office is at the rear of the yawl yard, bordering some rickety warehouses that match the Planet Express better than they match other warehouses. It's unusual for major companies to rent space at yards like this, but if they have more stock than usual or are expanding it's not unheard of.

Inside the office you find no one who looks authoritative, but a couple of rough-looking yard workers are sitting on a table off to the side. They stop talking when you come in, one of them standing up in a tough guy posture and the other one taking a swig from a bottle.

"Hey uh, what're you lookin' for in here pal?" asks the standing one.