New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Post Re: Merchants of Elm

((Sornas: D&D chase sequences using characters' speed tend to be boring (Who has a higher speed? Who has the Run feat? Okay, chase resolved...) so I'll oten have a series of checks to make along the way - balance, jump, reflex saves, etc as you hit various obstacles. In your case however you have such a head start and so few obstacles I'm gonna just give it to you.))

Lonna & William:

Three things happen at once. The two guards near Lonna encircle her, one of them chiding her not to bother with her sword while the other makes an impolite comment I won't reproduce here.

William zips around the corner and almost smacks into the trio, clearly not expecting yet more guards to be waiting near the temple.

And a loud whistle-blow alerts the two perverts that this is not just some kid making a dash to get out of the rain. The third guard, panting heavily, is only a short distance behind him.

((And I have to remark how hilarious I find Lonna's steely voice in a world with no steel ))
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Merchants of Elm

He just smiles at the old man and catches the bottle, uncorks it and takes a swig. He almost spits it out. He makes a face and swallows it. "And here's me thinking that beer was at the bottom of the barrel. Always finding a new low and selling it as the new thing, eh?" He asked with a smile. "As for the girls, I'm going to, as always, decline your gracious offer. You run a class establishment, it's not like you want to dirty it with my boots in your back rooms." Rustin took another swig of the bottle, corked it and put it down onto the table. "It's now May second, the good ol' start of spring in good ol' Elm. How was the first for you?"

Both Rustin and Mikos knew that he was here only for jobs, but they inevitably just go down the list of small talk, until all that's left is the talk of jobs. This early in the morning, the lack of customers make it easy to talk freely about jobs, even the questionable kind.
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thank Hermes! An opportunity! thinks Lonna. Taking advantage of the fact that the guards in front of her are off balance, she quickly disentangles herself from the scrawny child and makes a few swings with her rapier to force the lecherous officers further back.

"Boy, follow me!" she snaps. Acting now mostly on instinct, she pushes past the breathless guard, knocking him back. Without looking to see if the boy obeyed, she scoops the dagger on the ground from its puddle with her free hand and makes a break down the alley in the opposite direction from the one the boy came from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    ((And I have to remark how hilarious I find Lonna's steely voice in a world with no steel ))
    I wasn't even thinking about that. I like to write, so I just put down the first appropriate adjective I thought of, given the tone I wanted. Then again, I have a tendency to make puns like that unintentionally, or so my friends tell me.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well, after reading AP's post, I was planning on William trying to convince the guards that Lonna was his mother, but this works. :P Probably with less embarrassment on Lonna's part, too.

William

William grinned as he rounded the corner, looking over his shoulder, it looked like the guards hadn't been able to keep up with him...no all he needed to do was...

He turned to look in front of him, but at that moment found his field of vision blocked by a billowing sky-blue cloak.

The next few moments went in slow motion. William turned his feet on a nearby patch of slick snow, and twisted his upper body, barely managing to dodge ramming into the man as he slid, and ending up in a crouch facing the opposite direction he had been running.

"Boy, follow me!"

He picked his head up. Not really having time to debate his options, and dashed after the woman, figuring that whoever she was, she had to be better company than what the alternative offered.

Spoiler
    Show

Sornas by Lord Iames Osari, Thanks! ^_^

Spoiler
    Show
    My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
    Luke, I Am Your Tedious, Overused Plot Device!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yes sir, though it is pronounced Ah -Cahn-Thee. How may I help you, sir? She says, looking puzzled.

Acanthe's wearing a plain grey wool tunic and leather trousers. She looks tall and moderately strong, though not particularly impressive. She seems a bit preoccupied and in a rush.
    Last edited by HazelStone; 2008-02-06 at 06:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Rustin:

"It was a headache and an ulcer, but any day that brings in business is a welcome addition to my calendar." He leads you to take a seat at a table near the back, and sits opposite you. There are few patrons but you do notice a gentle-looking man sitting in a corner, dressed in drab clothing and drinking what might or might not be purple spice. You recognise him as the Tailor, a local man who does indeed run a tailor shop but is more infamous in the underworld as a professional killer. He has a habit of dismembering his victims, and no one is quite sure why exactly he has not been captured. This is one of only a few times you have seen him, and just like the other times he seems completely non-threatening.

Mikos goes through the obligatory small talk before coming around to the real question. "So what are you here for, a job? I told you weeks ago, Rustin, you should've signed onto one of those yawls I told you about. I couldn't believe you'd turn them down. I half-expected that you were going to take the tip and go sign on yourself behind my back."

He coughs hoarsely, turns, and spits onto the floor. He slaps the butt of a very attractive young boy who is walking past in a long, effeminate tunic. "Petra, dear, clean this floor up will you? It looks like we keep animals in here. And shake it a little more will you? Just because it's early doesn't mean you're not working."

He looks back at you. "These people won't do anything unless I tell them. Anyway, all the yawls are full up now. Everyone knows to get a contract before May Day. You should've listened to me, Rustin."

Lonna/William: roll initiative

((You can put rolls right here in the main thread, but please label them using [roll=label your roll here ] 1dX [ /roll] (but without the spaces).))
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+3)[10]
    Huh, never knew you could label them. ^_^

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The Tailor, Hmm? Thought Rustin Wonder what he's doing here so early. must be looking for a new job or something. and with that doesn't give him another thought, but does keep a wary on him... but then, Rustin keeps a wary eye on everybody.

"Aw, Mikos. I told you before, I am not much of a traveler. I have grown attached to Elm. It's home to me now. Plus, going anywhere on a Yawl takes forever. I could run faster than them if they didn't float so damn high." He pauses for a moment, then turns to look Mikos in the eye. "So, no jobs then? There's got to be someone out there willing to pay a man to look after something. Heck I could gaurd flowers if they was willing to pay."
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

9. - Top - End - #39

[roll=Initiative]1d20+5[/roll] A sentence with at least ten characters so it will let me post.

Trying again... [roll=Initiative]1d20+5[/roll]
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-06 at 07:58 PM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Ok, that didn't work, let's try again. initiative - (1d20+5)[18]
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

((Wow, ya'll post a lot! ><))

Breakfast, Natsume concluded, was one of life's small mercies. A part of her piped up, noting that this was a thin broth and a heavy but tasteless cake. A part that she ruthlessly quashed through an act in part willpower and the act of combining the griddlecake with the stew for what amounted to comfort food for her. It didn't really matter what kind of soup, stew, or broth Natsume had on hand, it all just tasted so much better when there was bread to dip in it.

She had ambled downstairs moments before, looking a bit flustered from an abrupt awakening but well rested and ready to go. Nodding her thanks to Draego and a hello to Garrin, she took her portion in a large mug that she would munch on for a while yet.

"Um..."

She hesitates, wondering why she bothered. There wasn't really a family left to embarrass but she still felt the need to rein it in around her brother.

"I... suppose you're both, um, ready to go?"
    Last edited by SeekerInTheNight; 2008-02-06 at 08:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Draego

as if he's been waiting for the question, he runs into his room, grabs up a bundle of belongings, then runs back. "Thought you would never get around to getting started. I'm ready."
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

The traveler sighs and leans up against the doorway.

"Acanthe! I knew it started with an 'A,' it's been so long... Oh! I can't begin to tell you how good it is to see a familiar face, when I saw the place boarded up I was so worried... How is the Kite family and estate? That's why I'm here see, a pure social visit to chat with the man and any of the kids if one of them happens to be in town." He exclaims, laughing lightly more from giddy relief than any real hummer.

"I'm Saker Kite by the way, brother of Orikedes's if you've forgotten. We've met a couple of times over the years, all though it's been two, or was it three, years since we last crossed paths." he goes on to add helpfully.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-02-06 at 09:21 PM.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by roninkelt View Post
    Draego

as if he's been waiting for the question, he runs into his room, grabs up a bundle of belongings, then runs back. "Thought you would never get around to getting started. I'm ready."
    It was a look Draego wouldn't recognize, and one that would put the hairs up on the back of Garrin's neck. Pure unadulterated cute wielded like a club. No one did puppy eyes like Natsume.

"Good! Then you can carry my trunk down to the yawl berth. It's upstairs in the corner. Once you've got that done take a look and see if they've filled up the water barrels and loaded on the food supplies. I need to go check the shipping manifest."

She leans over and plants a kiss on Draego's cheek.

"Thank you little brother!"

She's out the door before either of them can get in a word edge-wise. Only to return a moment later, poking her head in.

"Oh, and Garrin? Go find Acanthe and tell her we're heading to the docks, I'm sure she'll want to look over her big ol' sky boat before we're due to leave."

And she's gone.
    Last edited by SeekerInTheNight; 2008-02-06 at 10:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

((Since I'm not sure everyone has seen me mention this in the OoC thread I'll reiterate it here:

It's unlikely the group can depart today (May 2). You haven't even approved your yawl yet, let alone loaded it, which could take days. Provisions haven't been secured and it's still early in the season, a little risky for flight.

Most merchants won't leave till around May 15. We don't have to play out all those days, but there are still preparations to be made.

Of course, that need not stop Natsume from thinking otherwise. ))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-02-06 at 11:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Acanthe fills in Uncle Saker on the situation, very briefly.

Why don't you come into the cottage and have breakfast?

17. - Top - End - #47

Lonna

Seeing that there is no way to avoid a fight, Lonna makes a quick decision and moves past the boy to stand in the middle of the street. She doesn't like leaving her back exposed, but this way it is impossible for the guards to surround the scrawny lad.

"Boy, take this."Lonna orders, handing him the knife as she passes. It is decent quality, and she wonders briefly why it was abandoned in the street before returning her attention to more pressing matters. "Try not to kill anyone." she adds, "I need to stay here for a while."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to give William the knife and stop just south of him (I think it's south). New positions should look something like this:

@**@*L
    *****W
    -------
    *****|
    *****|**@

Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-09 at 10:57 AM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Rustin:

Mikos laughs. "A man of your skills and experience shouldn't be guarding flowers. You deserve some real work, right? Well I tell you, most of the jobs are gone. Not just the yawls, the whole economy heads south this time of year. Every beggar and booben with a line of credit gets one of those flyers and heads out. They think it's gonna turn a profit or something, most of 'em just end up robbed cheated or wrecked. But the beautiful thing about human nature is that hope springs eternal, and where hope springs fools quickly follow. And when fools leave town..."

A sharp laugh, like a dog barking, breaks the air. A glance toward the front shows a big toothy grin on the Tailor's face. He's perusing a letter held up to the light with one hand while he drinks from his cup with the other. The grin disappears as quick as it arrived.

Grawngor shakes his head and gives you a look like he can hardly bear to put up with life anymore. "When fools leave town, suddenly town is a lot safer. Good for the poor frightened masses. Bad for you and I, eh?"

He shakes his head. "Look, I tell you what, have yourself a nice foot soak on the house, give me some time to talk to some people, and come back a little later, okay? If there's work to be had around here I'll find it for you." He leans closer. "You don't mind doing the dirty stuff, I mean some real back-alley jobs, huh?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

After the barking laugh, Rustin almost jumps from his seat. His hand went inside his cloak, but then he just rearranged it, as the almost jump dislodged it from his shoulder. (Nope, no knives there. Just a messed up cloak.) His first thought was It's not that the man freaks me out, He thought, trying to convince even himself it's what he has in his hands that does. Yes. The paper might have my name on it...

He turned his attention back to Mikos, staring at the Tailor wasn't a good health plan. He half-listened to Mikos telling him about the time of year, he was busy worrying about what the Tailor was laughing about. It's not that Mikos was boring, it's just he's heard some variations of the same thing every May 2. He always came back here this day at this hour becuase Mikos has always found him a job.

Then he brung up dirty stuff, which made him think of his last assignment in Karr. He quickly pushed it aside, and responded to Mikos, levelly. "I'm trying to get out of the assasination part of business, but if it's all you can truly dig up. I don't kill kids." At this, he stood up. "Work your magic Mikos. I might even take you up on that footbath."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Garrin

Still a little annoyed at Draego for the rude awakening, Garrin decides not to intervene while Natsume tries to twist him around her little finger. Of course, the laugh is on both of them once they realize we're not going anywhere for a couple of weeks yet... we have't even taken possession of the damned yawl yet, let alone gotten it ready to sail. Unless they plan on sleeping on board while it's tied up at the docks, which doesn't sound wise to me.

He finishes his breakfast and pointedly does not try to stop Draego from doing as his sister asked. He does, however, step outside to look for Acanthe so he can share the "joke" with her.
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-02-07 at 08:29 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker
    Quote Originally Posted by HazelStone View Post
    Acanthe fills in Uncle Saker on the situation, very briefly.

Why don't you come into the cottage and have breakfast?
    ((Assuming 'Fills in the Uncle briefly' = "Times have been bad recently (the family lost the estate last year), but the Kite's are making one last yawl run, so we're in the process of closing up to leave town."))

"Thank you, I'd be delighted to get out of the rain." Saker replies. He tries making minor small talk about the town and the festival as follows her as she finishes her round and returns to the cottage. It distracts him enough for his nephew/niece to see him first.

Spoiler
    Show

Can Saker take 10 on gather information and learn the recent town rummers from Acanthe?

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

William

William stared at the knife laid out in his hands. Of course he knew how to use it, the Beasts had taught him the basics, but they never had him fight for real, that was the bigger kids' job.

"Try not to kill anyone."

His eyes widened and he looked towards Lonna in shock. "K-kill? I don't want to kill anyone..." He grasped the dagger a few times reflexively. "These people don't deserve to die, they're only doing their job...but, we don't deserve to die either." He glanced at Lonna again, "Well, I'm pretty sure you don't deserve to die, but I know I don't."

Resolve set, William looked over towards the nearby guard. Trying to think of something to say, he only managed a sputtered "I'm sorry sir!" Before darting towards him, aiming the flat of the dagger at the back of his head.

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise round: William makes a subdual attack against the flatfooted guard.
    Rolls
    Attack: 17-2=15
    Damage: 1+1=2
    Sneak attack= 5

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Draego

Puts his hand on his cheek where she kissed and stares after Natsume like she has a third eye... (Being a family member he is immune to the cute club).

He looks at Garrin and gets a really big grin on his face, then sits down to finish breakfast

"Is there something that I'm missing? Aren't you excited to be going?"
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

24. - Top - End - #54
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Garrin

Garrin pauses at the doorway, hearing his brother's voice. "Missing something? You mean, other than the fact that we still need to spend the next couple of weeks preparing before we even go anywhere? And no, I'm not excited. I'm still not sure this is wise, and I can't believe I let Natsume talk me into it in the first place. But we're committed now, aren't we?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Lonna/William:

William's blow knocks the first guard out cold! A lot more power in his arm than he thought, evidently...

A****L
    *****W
    -------
    *****|
    *****|**B

Initiative:
    Lonna
    Guard A (id/sf)
    William
    Guard B (ii/id)

Lonna, you're up.

Acanthe/Saker:
    Since Saker is talking to just one person (who is a PC and can decide what she tells you) I'd say no Gather Info roll. What you figured she told you sounds about right. She probably thinks you know Orikedes died and is just telling you about the business. Of course, she can confirm/deny that...

Rustin:

Mikos stands up and snaps his fingers. "Petra, get this guy a foot soak will you?" He slides the bottle of foul liqueur across the table to you. "Here, this is for you. Tell your friends, alright?" He walks off without waiting for an answer.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-02-07 at 12:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Lonna

Now this is more like it! she exults as the boy next to her evens the odds. Leaving him to face the panting guard coming down the street, Lonna doubles back to come behind the second guard who had cornered her a moment ago.

"Thanks for the invitation" she says sarcastically, aiming a blow at the back of his head with her sword hilt, "but I think I'll pass on the escort!"

L
    A
    *****W
    -------
    *****|
    *****|**B

Spoiler
    Show

Move action to get behind the guard, attack for non-lethal damage.
    Attack - (1d20-3)[7]
    Damage - (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-07 at 12:52 PM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Perhaps I should have been more clear. Acanthe gives Yawl and business related updates only.

To Saker:
    Yes, this weather is unseasonably cool. The fellows should have some hot Stew going by now.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Either this man is tougher than his comrade, or your sword-hilt did not strike as true as William's knife-handle. The man lets out a heavy grunt as you strike him, but recoils and draws his weapon with grace. A bright bronze leaf-blade springs off his right hip into his right hand and immediately cuts at your wrist.

Guard's disarm attempt:

(1d20+6)[15] (improved disarm)
    Lonna, let's see if you can beat it...

29. - Top - End - #59

Opposition to guard A's disarm attempt:

(1d20+1)[7]

Edit: OUCH... I'm in trouble.
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-07 at 01:35 PM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

To save your wrist, you have no choice but to let go of your rapier. It clatters to the ground and the guard grins as he turns his blade to strike you with the flat...

(William's turn)