New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Merchants of Elm

Draego

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    GarrinGarrin pauses at the doorway, hearing his brother's voice. "Missing something? You mean, other than the fact that we still need to spend the next couple of weeks preparing before we even go anywhere? And no, I'm not excited. I'm still not sure this is wise, and I can't believe I let Natsume talk me into it in the first place. But we're committed now, aren't we?"
    "A couple of weeks? I thought we were getting the yawl today!" He thinks about it for a second. "I guess I forgot about loading." He thinks for another while... "How much stuff will be loaded today, do you think?" The grin he had before, went away, but is now back and definitely has a mischevous look.
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rustin nods to Mikos as he leaves and then looks up at Petra. "Right..." He said, not exactly sure what to say in this situation. He will move himself as Petra asks (this includes following him, lifting his legs up, etc.) and takes off his shoes and socks before dipping his feet into the hot water. He keeps a hold of the liqueur, not exactly sure if he wanted more, but you can't be too sure.
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Rustin, you end up in a small side-room with a nicely upholstered if somewhat worn armchair and a little oil lamp. Heavy curtains are the only door on the room, and once you are left alone to soak you can hear the sounds of the front of the tavern. Apparently not everyone got their fill of drinking the night before, as the bar area picks up quite a bit as the day wears on.

((Mikos did say to "come back later" so if you want to walk around town more you can. If you'd rather just wait that's fine too.))
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

William

((OOC: Sorry about taking so long, got busy this afternoon. ^^; ))

Gasping as he hit the ground, William manged to catch himself and land on his feet, watching as the guard slumped to the ground. "I hope he's alright." Came a fleeting thought, but there was no time to worry about the guard.

Glancing between the two remaining guards, William was torn. It looked like the woman needed his help, but they would both need help if both of the guards cornered them. Making a snap decision, he barreled towards the gasping guard, hoping to knock him out quickly so that he could help the woman.

Spoiler
    Show

Round 1: William charges the flatfooted guard, and attacks for subdual damage.
    Rolls
    1d20+0=14
    1d4+1=4
    1d6=3
    Currently at -2 AC (11)

Spoiler
    Show

Sornas by Lord Iames Osari, Thanks! ^_^

Spoiler
    Show
    My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
    Luke, I Am Your Tedious, Overused Plot Device!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

William:

You land another good solid blow, jabbing the butt of your knife into his chest and knocking the breath out of him. He sneers at you and catches your wrist with one hand as the other leverages his quickly-drawn sword against your arm. These guys must be on the same training regimen, because you can see he is trying to pressure the knife out of your hand.

disarm attempt - (1d20+6)[11]
    (you oppose with a straight atk roll -4 for using a light weapon)

((Lonna, it'll be your turn next no matter the outcome, so once you see William's roll feel free to take your next action.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-02-07 at 08:41 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Merchants of Elm (IC)

Spoiler
    Show

Damn @.@ Was hoping 7 was enough :P
    Opposed attack roll, -4 from light:
    (1d20-2)[1]

Edit- Well crap. @.@
    Last edited by Sornas; 2008-02-07 at 09:31 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lonna

Surprised but undaunted by the guard's skill, Lonna unsheaths her dagger and once again aims a blow at her advesary's head. Out of the corner of her eye she can see that the boy is struggling with his chosen opponent, but she doesn't dare help him until she has subdued her own attacker.

Spoiler
    Show

Nonlethal_Attack - (1d20-3)[-2]
    Damage - (1d6)[6]

Edit: Well that was spectacularly useless...
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-07 at 09:40 PM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Almost without thought the guard intercepts your dagger with the side of his sword, then clubs the side of your head with the butt.

attack - (1d20-2)[0]
    subdual damage - (1d8+1)[9]

...but your head is no longer there, as you duck his fist.

(William, you're up.)
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-02-07 at 10:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

William

"Ah...no!" William cried as the dagger tumbled out of his hand, clattering at his feet.

Throwing his body into a twist, he managed to wrench himself free of the guard's grip on his wrist, but now he was unarmed, and faced with a man much larger than himself.

He knew it was a risk, but it gave him better odds than trying to face him down with his fists.

With a quick spin and a push, William let the air carry his light cloak up and off his body, hoping to give him enough cover to retrieve his weapon. Underneath the billowing cloth, he darted forward, scooping up his dagger and shoving the flat of the blade towards the guard's stomach in one smooth motion.

Spoiler
    Show

Round 2: William accepts an attack of opportunity to grab his dagger from the ground (Move action), and attack (Standard action).
    Rolls
    1d20-2=5
    1d4+1=2
    Damn <.<

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

The guard uses his sword like a club as William dives for the knife.

atk of opp - (1d20-2)[16]
    subdual - (1d8+1)[5]

He sees the dagger thrust and blocks with his free hand, then slams his sword against the side of the boy's head.

atk of opp - (1d20-2)[14]
    subdual - (1d8+1)[4]

11. - Top - End - #71

Lonna

"Hades take you both!" curses Lonna, enraged by the sight of her ragged companion staggering under the force of the other guard's blows. "You, and all bullies!" With that she launches another determined attack, this time aiming for his solar plexus in the hope that he will expect another blow to the head and fail to block her.

Spoiler
    Show

Nonlethal_Attack - (1d20-3)[14]
    Damage - (1d6)[2]
    Finally a strike connects!
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-08 at 01:10 AM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rustin, after his foot soak, decides that having one good hook is good, but haveing several weaker ones is more likely to catch fish. So he put on his socks and shoes and started wandering around Shantytown, asking people if they heard of any jobs in town. He goes it his usual hotspots, and considering what Mikos said, he goes to one or two not so hotspots.

If nothing interesting occurs, he takes the information he gets, and heads back to Mikos to see what he has to say.
    I heard a voice from above, claiming to be in charge of my destiny. After shooting it twice, it never came back.” – From Floral Justice

“Fear is only a Dream – so dream, my little one, dream” – R.K. Milholland

“Whenever someone asks me to be completely candid, part of me wonders if they know what they’re getting into, and another part of me is scared they just might…” – R.K. Milholland

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Saker

Was she always this quiet? Saker asks himself as his conversation with Acanthe drops off. He pushes the thought aside after a moments consideration: He's here to see his kin, not their employees so it doesn't really matter much.

He turns and starts to quicken his steps to reach the cottage just in time to spots a young woman hustling down the path toward him. Despite the rain he recognizes her as his niece, but it wouldn't make a good impression if he got her name wrong, so he steps aside and smiles broadly while thinking hard. It might by 'Natsume', but if he's lucky Acanthe will say it so he can be certain.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Lonna-

Finally you catch the guard, well, off-guard. Not only do you drive him back a bit and leave what you're sure will be a nasty bruise on his chest, but you cause him to drop his mug of stew which he has been holding (and sloshing) in his off hand this whole time. It shatters on the pavement.

The guard for his part curses at you and swats with his sword once again.

attack - (1d20-2)[11]
    subdual - (1d8+1)[4]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

((Saker - I think Hazel meant for this post to be in the IC thread in which case she does not actually say Natsume's name. Also I renamed the IC thread so that it is easier to tell the two apart.

Rustin - I'll catch you up in a little bit, since you are getting much later in the day than the other characters. If we can resolve this fight and get the siblings into town we'll all be on roughly the same page.))

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

William

Grunting with the blow, William tumbled backwards, catching himself with an outstretched hand. Righting himself, the boy stood ready, gasping for breath as he stared down the man.

He felt woozy, but he tried his best to look tough, bringing up his dagger into an attacking position. If he was going to survive, he needed to outsmart him. Grinning at the man, knowing that he couldn't see around the corner and just after hearing the smash, he made his move.

"Looks like the Beasts got here just in time!"
    He said in his most sinister voice, somewhat comical coming from someone his size, "Once they are done dealing with your friend, we are gonna have some fun..." He perked up, looking behind the man. "Oh? Looks like we don't have long to wait, here come the rest of them!"

((Note that the below is only if the bluff works))

He was terrified inside, but he knew this was his only chance. Hoping his trick would work, he waited for the man to turn his head, then swung his leg around, kicking his now-grounded cloak towards the man's head. Taking advantage of the small window, William bolted around the corner, looking for a place to hide.

Spoiler
    Show

Round 3: William uses a bluff check to create a diversion (Standard action) Then runs around the corner, attempting to hide (Move action). (The general idea being that when the guard looks for him next round, he can catch him unaware for another flatfooted sneak attack, while Lonna, facing where William is, can see him, but the other guard can't. Don't worry, I'm not ditching you Lonna :P)

Rolls
    Bluff: 12+8=20
    Hide: 12+8=20
    That's not bad. ^^

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

William/Lonna:

William scrabbles around the corner and throws himself into a recessed doorway. While Lonna struggles with her guard, there is a second of silence from the one William just left; then his whistle-blow can be heard, loud and clear and moving in the opposite direction. As his cowardly friend runs off, the guard facing Lonna is clearly unsettled.

18. - Top - End - #78

Lonna

Lonna dances away from the shining blade as it swings toward her ribs, thinking fast. She doesn't really want to get into any trouble with the law, not in the town where she grew up, and especially not when she has to spend the next week or two in town. When she sees the boy scramble around the corner and the guard he was facing go trotting off in the opposite direction, blowing his whistle as if his life depended on it, she makes up her mind with a snap.

"Look," she begins abruptly, speaking low and fast. Her eyes never leave the guard before her, and she seems ready for an attack at any moment, but her temper is now under control. "You and I both know that right now the odds are on my side. Your ally just left and mine is still here. Now, I'm sure a fine officer such as yourself doesn't want any trouble, and honestly I don't want to give you any. So, as I see it, we can do this one of two ways, and the choice is yours. On the one hand, we all just admit this was a misunderstanding, and you let me and the boy go about our business while you go about yours."

Lonna pauses a moment to let this sink in before continuing in a deceptively calm voice. "On the other hand, you can swing that pig-sticker of yours at me again, and the boy and I will be forced to help you join your friend there." She tilts her head slightly to indicate the guard lying unconcious in the street. If her opponent is as experienced as his fighting style implies, he must know that anyone left helpless in this part of town, even so near the Facing, will be lucky to wake up in his underclothes.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy_Check - (1d20+7)[24]

Edit: Just realized that may need to be a bluff check, not a diplomacy check, so here's a roll for bluff.

[roll=Bluff]1d20+8[/roll]

Why won't this work? [roll=Bluff_Check]1d20+8[/roll]
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-09 at 11:15 AM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    Saker
    He turns and starts to quicken his steps to reach the cottage just in time to spots a young woman hustling down the path toward him. Despite the rain he recognizes her as his niece, but it wouldn't make a good impression if he got her name wrong, so he steps aside and smiles broadly while thinking hard. It might by 'Natsume', but if he's lucky Acanthe will say it so he can be certain.

Acanthe
    What she said.

Natsume

"Ah!"

Natsume skids to a stop in front of Acanthe and Saker. She blinks owlishly between the two of them and sketches a quick bow between them.

"Ah! Uncle! It is, ah, good? To see you again."

She blinks again and reaches out to hold on to Acanthe's arm. She cheats in, effectively shutting her Uncle out of the conversation for a moment. She drops her voice, knowing he could still hear her but trusting his sense of decency to give them a moment's privacy.

Acanthe I'm heading down to the port authority to make sure everything is in order, would you like to join me? It may be a few days yet before we can leave, but fortune favors the cautious. We could look over your sky b... er, yawl.

She turns and steps half a step back, inviting Saker back into the conversation.

"Uncle, how have you been? I am sorry that I have not kept in contact, this have been, ah, busy."

20. - Top - End - #80

Since my roll above won't work:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff_Check - (1d20+8)[22]
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-09 at 11:17 AM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Lonna/William:

((Generally, a roll won't work if it is edited in any way, either by adding it to a post that didn't have a roll or by changing a roll that was already in the post. It's an anti-cheating thing.))

The guard almost snarls at Lonna as she tries to fast-talk him. Evidently, it's not working, for he leaps forward with his sword overhead for a strong overhead strike aimed at her shoulder...

attack - (1d20+2)[15]
    lethal damage - (1d8+1)[7]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Uncle Saker

"Oh, I could be better," Saker says with a laugh as he wipes rain water from his brow "But things are looking better now that I've safely arrived and see your pretty face, so please don't go spoiling the moment by blaming yourself, it's probably more my own fault that yours that we've not been in touch. I'm just glad to be here now, and doubly thankful to have come before you could all leave.

If you've got stuff to do I'll just go on up to the cottage to escape the rain. Who else aside from Orikedes is in town?"

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

William

William watched in horror as the guard's blade raked across Lonna. Desperately trying to think of what to do, he stared at the dagger in his hands. He needed to get away, the longer he waited, the better chance he had of getting caught, but the woman had helped him in the first place.

He looked up again, seeing the blood fall, and just then, made his choice. He was still a little woozy, but he couldn't just leave her, she had saved his life.

"Get the hell away from her, you bully!" He yelled, barreling towards the guard with little concern for his own safety.

Spoiler
    Show

Round 4: William charges into a flanking position, then makes a non-lethal attack.
    Rolls (Conf)
    1d20+2=22 (Critical threat!)
    1d20+2=4 (Unconfirmed)
    1d4+1=4
    1d6=6
    Last edited by Sornas; 2008-02-09 at 06:36 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

((As was noted in the OoC thread, you can't get sneak damage on a nonlethal hit. Sorry I let it slide by mistake before. However, even without the extra d6 you've landed a nice solid blow. He's reeling.))

"You're getting yourselves in big trouble," the guard whines as he tries to fend off attacks from both sides.

((Lonna, you're up.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-02-09 at 09:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    ((As was noted in the OoC thread, you can't get sneak damage on a nonlethal hit. Sorry I let it slide by mistake before. However, even without the extra d6 you've landed a nice solid blow. He's reeling.))

"You're getting yourselves in big trouble," the guard whines as he tries to fend off attacks from both sides.

((Lonna, you're up.))
    ((Okies, but can the hit be non-lethal, and the sneak attack lethal? I have no idea how that works @.@))

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Lonna

Lonna tries to dodge the descending blade, but its tip catches and tears through the flesh of her left arm. Blood spurts from the wound, and she knows that another good hit like that will put her down for the count. About to abandon the rapier - one of her beloved mentor's gifts - in order to flee with her life and her freedom, Lonna is horrified to see the boy rise from his hiding place and charge at the guard from behind, shouting.

The fool! Why didn't he run away when he had the chance!?!

However, the child lands a solid blow, and as the guard staggers back, Lonna gathers her strength to deliver what she hopes will be a final attack. If this one misses, she knows, she may not get the opportunity to try again.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20-3)[8]
    Damage - (1d4)[3]
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

As he dances away from Lonna's blow the guard turns and swings at William

atk - (1d20+2)[6]
    damage - (1d8+1)[2]

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

William

Taking advantage of the guard's wide swing, William quickly dodged to the left, darting in for a quick attack.

"We're getting ourselves in trouble? You attacked us!" He grumbled.

Spoiler
    Show

Round 5: William makes a non-lethal attack against the guard. It's not Shakespeare, but gimmie a break, it's quarter to one. @.@

Rolls
    1d20=4
    1d4+1=4
    Bah. *Faceplants into desk*

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

Lonna

"We're getting ourselves in trouble? You attacked us!"

Lonna smiled grimly at the indignation in her companion's voice. If we ever manage to down this stubborn guard, she thought as she once again aimed a blow at her opponent's head, I think we will get along quite nicely.

Spoiler
    Show

Nonlethal_Damage - (1d20-3)[13]
    Damage - (1d4)[3]

Finally!
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-11 at 09:57 AM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

William's words draw a guffaw from the guard, a guffaw that delays him a crucial half-second. He spins to swing at Lonna, a smug look on his face, and suddenly eats a mouthful of of bronze. The man staggers back, puts one hand to his broken nose, and falls to the ground unconscious.

"Whoa!" The voice draws your attention to an excited little boy, standing a bit down the street and pointing at you in awe. He is being held back by an older boy about William's age, his hand on his young brother's shoulder and a fearful look on his face. He shakes his head vigorously when you look his way, putting his free hand up in the air in a gesture of surrender.

Farther down the street, perhaps a block off, there are also several adults who do not seem to have figured out what's going on. The cross street (in both directions - the way the guard ran off and the other way, past the temple) seem empty.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-02-11 at 10:12 AM.