New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Nation of the Dead: House of a Thousand Corpses

The city of Ar Ghul lies near the southernmost border of the icy wastes of Undus, in one of the few places where warm climates encroach into the northernmost nation of Arcnus Mortis. Far from any other of the nation’s cities, it is almost wholly enclosed by the dark forests that form much of the border between Undus and its southern neighbor, Mertion. The provincial lord Sarga, a sadistic but brutally efficient vampire, serves as the city’s ruler, reporting only to the enigmatic Lich-King of Undus.

The town is not unlike those where the living dwell. Towering, gothic buildings form the core of the city, centered around the estate of Lord Sarga. Shabby, squalid tenements house much of the city’s populace, the squalid ghouls and zombies that are the lowest of the low in the undead society of Arcnus Mortis. Those revenants who have found a place among the undead elite reside in forbidding mansions that form a sycophantic ring around Lord Sarga’s manor. Temples to dark gods hold black masses, wraiths and ghouls wager in dank gambling halls, undead merchants hawk their wares on the street.

A few mainstays of living society, however, are missing from the city of Ar Ghul. There are no restaurants, no taverns, no whorehouses. Such things are needed only by the living–and the living do not walk in Ar Ghul, save in the greatest of danger and secrecy. The last living man found in the city still hangs from a tall gallows, his body pecked and pocked by the ghoulish ravens that infest the city.

It is in this city of the damned and dead that you awake–if, that is, the dead ever slept.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Nation of the Dead: House of a Thousand Corpses

((Figure I'll just re-post some stuff from the first time we tried doing this. Oh, and if anyone needs it, you can find Moss here.))

"Well Moss, we came here. Just like you said we should; but now what?" Came a gurgling that one could decipher into the common tongue if they listened hard enough. "The dead offer us nothing. So why come here of all places?"

The creature known to the surface world only as Moss walked the streets of the slums, using his gurgling voice to engage in what seemed like a one way conversation, though anyone paying attention to him would see the glow of a crystal on his right arm when he was silent.

Moss walked on, not headed anywhere in particular, but he knew, somewhere in his addled mind, that his feet were leading him somewhere important.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Moldebrin smiles, sitting on the front steps of the vacant and somewhat dilapidated temple to Kronos he has assigned himself to.

The sun isn't shining, the birds are crowing raucously, and everyone he knew was still dead. Just about perfect.

Still, pondering with his gauntleted fist on his chin, he couldn't help but notice something was different, perhaps a bit off, even. A new pattern in the zombies and ghouls stumbling around in the street on errands that never changed.

There might even be something worth doing to be done, something to add just a little bit more to the glory of Kronos. Or just anything, to be honest, it got dreadfully dull in the temple, seeing as how no one was particularly concerned about the afterlife.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The bloodstained, spiked iron shell of a rageforged known as Slaughterknife wanders the slums of this cold town, much of the gore stuck to his body has been frozen solid. Aggravation somehow manages to show itself on his iron face, which already shows a menacing glare which never leaves. In his hand is a blood-stained blade, five feet long and saw-toothed.
    "Nothing feels pain... I cut but no screams come out..." rings his metallic and gravelly voice after time cutting down mindless zombies here and there in the cold, dark slums.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-02-08 at 09:11 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

5. - Top - End - #5

Janar walked down the street, thinking about his quandary. "That foolish vampire had nothing but silly romance books! Not a single book on the fairies at all. How am I going to lear-Ooof." He had not been paying attention to where he was walking and ran right into a zombie. The impact had knocked his glasses off. He really didn't need the things anymore, but they had a sentimental value. "Oh, Dreadfully sorry." Janar bent down and picked up his glasses, puting them back onto the bridge of his desiccated nose. Making sure his carefully combed hair was still in place, he returned to his wandering of the city. The zombie hadn't even noticed him.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

A loud caw rings through the city streets. Several dull, glazed eyes look up, hungry at this sign of life, but turn their eyes away as the raven lands on the shoulder of the towering metal behemoth. It drops a small mouse ino the beast's waiting hand, spitting as it shook feathers off of itself like a dog shed water. Underneath, the wine red devil spoke.
    A little farther, my friend! The dead can be much fun, and much challenge! The smarter ones only, though. These dumb beasts are but appetizers for your violent nature! The tough ones even refuse to die when their spines are removed! You could play with one all day! Just onward a bit, my friend, and you'll find something that may even challenge your strength!
    Razor bite found the mouse disgusting, with its thick, animal fear, but was willing to put up with it if it meant he got to play with such a fascinating toy as the Rageforged Slaughterknife.
    The imp chuckled gleefully into a metal ear, his eyes an inky black, his skin drawn over his body like wet paper over bone. His overly large teeth stuck out in fangs, though the real threat remained in the dripping sting at the end of his agile tail.
    The best thing my friend, would be to get work as a slayer of intelligent dead! These walking corpses would give you better weapons, more tools, in order to cause pain an rend flesh! Only a bit more patience, my friend, before the blood will flow anew!
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The rageforged rumbles with sadistic glee at the prospect at the new blood he can spill. He quickly takes the fearful mouse in both hands and savoring it's terror for just a split second he crushes the vermin in his sharp, metal hands. "I want more to kill... where are the thinking dead?"

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Moldebrin laughs a dry chuckle as he watches the necropolitan stumble around in the seething morass of mindless corpses. Composing himself, he strides down the steps and gives a broad, overemphasized bow.

"Ah, sir, one cannot help but notice that you seem to have a peculiar difficulty, not to say impediment, regarding the traversing of these noble but particularly crowded streets. Being a forthright member of the church and a loyal citizen of the community, I suppose an offer of help, without obligations stemming from the acceptance of such, would be well within the boundaries of good taste and..." Moldebrin pauses his raving for a bit to smack a passing zombie with his staff,

"I would be delighted. This way, please."
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

9. - Top - End - #9

Janar stopped and listened to the... mummy? Yes, that must be it. It was daytime, so vampires would not be out. Janar considered the mummys offer for a time, then nodded. "Indeed, that is in good taste. Lead on." Janar followed the mummy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    "I want more to kill... where are the thinking dead?"
    Good question, my friend. One I seek to answer.
    Flapping his small wings into the air, Razor Bite flys up to a rooftop. As he passes out of sight behid a chimney, he suddenly dissapears. Unseen, he flys lower over the crowd, listening for any talk of employment, treasure, or other interest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen- take 10 for 17.
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Moldebrin absentmindedly wanders along the streets towards a small library he knows of, on the basis that the person he's leading is wearing glasses and was heading generally in that direction.

"...And so you see, really, we of the other-than-living sort have more of a need for spiritual comfort and protection than those living fools. Have I mentioned that Kronos, my beloved savior and guide on this path, is particularly well suited to our situation? No other diety is as befitting such a state of majestic power and cruel drive for power...oh, I'm proselytizing again, aren't I? I do apologize, it's in the manual somewhere that I have to at least TRY, but I hope you won't hold my actions against the faith. We always welcome new arrivals."

Moldebrin turns and begins walking backwards in the same slow, deliberate fashion he's traveled so far. Although his eye sockets have no pupils or other indicators of where they're looking, Janar gets the distinct impression that Moldebrin is staring fixedly at him.

"I dare say, I don't believe I've even introduced myself. Moldebrin Varale, and in the course of my boorish tirade I'm sure I've mentioned my calling at some point. Your name, or moniker if you're being extremely careful, good sir?"
    Last edited by Zincorium; 2008-02-11 at 11:50 PM.
    - Thomas Jefferson

12. - Top - End - #12

Janar smiled at the rambling mummy. "I am Janar Tulan, a scholar by trade. And no worries, I know a thing or two about 'faith'." His face scrunched up in pain, as if he was reliving a bad memory. Then as quickly as it came, his foul mood passed. He was once again smiling. "Moldebrin, if I may call you such, you show a great deal of enthusiasm for your patron god. How did you come by the worship of Kronos? I must profess, despite my own feelings on the subject of religion, I am quite fascinated with the viewpoints of other individuals." He seemed eager to glean this knowledge out of Moldebrin, almost ecstatic even.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Moldebrin slows his pace and ponders for a while before giving a reply.

"Well, in essence, what happened is quite possibly the only deathbed conversion that leaves the converted still ambulatory. I was a citizen of Tanzen before I made some poor decisions and ended up in the grasp of the armies of our current nation. Eventually, they decided that I would have to be... upgraded, as it were, to be any use. Taking stock of the state that my interrogation had left me in, they didn't go through the bother of actually killing me prior to the mummification process...

That day was more important to me than anything else that has ever happened in my existence. On that day, I saw the truth of Kronos, I felt the power and majesty of my dark lord sweep over me. And I simply knew that all other action was charade. While I understand only vague pieces of the greater plan, victory is inevitable."

By this point, Moldebrin is shoving through the crowds with furious motion, and his voice has gone from simply raspy to harsh and bitter. As a second of silence elapses, his rage seems to leave him, his posture returning to it's previous languid state.

"But enough about me."
    - Thomas Jefferson

14. - Top - End - #14

Janar nodded, painfully puting away all the questions that were welling up inside him. With luck, maybe he could ask them later. "Very well then. May I ask where you are leading me?" Janar was walking in the wake of Moldebrin, occasionally moving to avoid the other passersby. "I don't believe you have said as much to me yet."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, to speak freely of the entire mental process-" Moldebrin comes to an abrupt halt and jabs his finger forward like a small oddly shaped lance at a black cloaked figure ahead of them.

"Oh Kronos, what is that thing? It looks like a man wearing...a dead squid or something as a hat. I can't believe the standards fashion has fallen to these days."

Walking as quickly as a mummified person in full armor can, Moldebrin strolls directly up to Moss and looks him directly in the face from about an inch and a half away.
    - Thomas Jefferson

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Though they do not yet know it, the road Janar and Moldebrin walk down runs perpendicular to that Slaughterforged and Razor Bite are currently traveling, the roads of Ar Ghul being laid out in a geometrically precise gridwork. Their intersection is the site of the Wellspring of Frozen Tears, a fountain of unholy water that marks the borderline between the city's slums and the domains of the dead nobles. In the center of the fountain stands a towering statue of a withered, undead seraph, a monument erected by the vampire lord Sarga. In the darkness of the slums, it is almost impossible to make out the statue's features. They come to the fountain at around the same time, seeing each other clearly under the light of day. Meanwhile, another inhabitant of Ar Ghul, Moss, has already come to the fountain in his wanderings, perching under its shadow, where Moldebrin has come up to inspect him.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-02-12 at 10:26 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Slaughterknife stops in the street, and knowing his fiendish companion is not too far behind or away he quickly trots over to Moldebrin with his jaws open slightly, bloodlust gleaming in his tiny red optic lenses and his bloodstained sword in his hand, which still drips with the blood of a slain mouse.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-02-12 at 11:33 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Janar rolled his eyes at the debacle that Moldebrin was creating and looked away. How could he not know what a Mindflayer looks like, living in a city such as this? As he looked away, he happened to see the rather terrifying warforged stalk toward Moldebrin. Turning back to look at Moldebrin, Janar raised a hand and pointed at the warforged. "Um, Moldebrin, there seems to be an irate warforged fixated on either accosting you or your new acquaintance."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Moldebrin sighs and pulls his bastard sword from it's scabbard.

"Yes, yes, but I was hoping that he would lose interest and go away. I can't imagine there'd be anything on me he'd actually want, and he will lose some structural integrity if he's not courteous enough to avoid stabbing me."

He turns and faces Slaughterknife, sword held loosely at it's side.

"Seriously now, what do you want? I'm trying to have an observation with this odd fellow and you insist on staring at me with your mouth open like some idiot child."
    - Thomas Jefferson

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

The rageforged quickly ups his pace into a run as he takes his massive blade in both hands holding it high above his head and swings down as hard as possible. His metal jaw opens all the way and complete and utter profane menace gleams in his eyes and he swings down hard...
    A small cloud of dust clears and Slaughterknife's sword has sunken several inches into the dirt next to Moldebrin's foot, only inches from ripping him open. Slaughterknife stands almost two feet taller than the mummy... leaning down with his sword in the ground, he faces him and lets out a horrible metallic rumble.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-02-14 at 12:25 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[18]

Halt, Slaughter Knife! You'd better be nice to my friend, bag of bones. He gets testy when he hasn't killed anything in a long time. You see he's kind of an artist. And I'm his manager. Don't make me have him practice his craft on you, or you'll regret it.
    A voice sounds from above, from an apparently invisible source. It breaks into giddy laughter, most akin to an insane cackle. The chuckling continues, along with bits of many different languages, some chanted, some mearly stated, but all from a different position.
    Elven
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bandage man in bandages, saves time after he beat to death!

Draconic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Little bitty man, thought he had a plan, turned into a corpse and wound up dead by a can!

Celestial
    Spoiler
    Show
    He who looks down on strangers looks up at his better from a grave.

Abyssal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rag man rag man run run run as fast as you can! Death of steel, death he deals, Death Jester laughs as buzzards get a meal!

The laughing and taunting finally stops as the invisible voice speaks slyly from another random position above.
    Of course, we could work out a deal, if you wish to keep healthy... so to speak...
    The Bear is Back.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Before Moldebrin can react, a voice rings out from in front of the group, a snide, haughty voice. "Put down your sword, crankshaft. All of you, stand down and listen to me." The owner of the voice comes into view, a vampire dressed in the uniform of the Undine Guard. He holds a drawn saber at his side, not menacingly, but ready. Behind him follow four pale, craven undead - vampire spawn. Despite the sunlight, the vampire and his minions walk unafraid, most likely warded against it by some means alchemic or magic.

The vampire walks towards the group, and pulls out a scroll. "I am searching for lost property belonging to the Empire of Undus, and this writ of conscription allows me to temporarily dragoon you for the purposes of finding it." he says, reading from the scroll. He looks up, and says, "In other words, you bastards are following my orders into we find what I'm looking for. You disobey, I'm well within my rights to take your head clean off...even you, crankshaft, don't think you'd be the first of your kind I've taken apart for scrap. Sh...the property was last seen going that way." he says, point with his sword down the street leading into the slums. "Follow me."
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-02-13 at 11:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

An imp appears on the rageforged massive shoulder, seemingly bored as it lay comfortably between the sharp protrusions.
    Before we do anything, what's the pay? I'm not much of a patriot, as you can see I'm not from around here. And my friend "crankshaft" over here needs cash for more spiky bits.
    Razor Bite yawns a bit, his ink black eyes half closed. He peers at Moldebrin, then winks and waves merrily.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Annoyed, the vampire captain responds, [b]"If, and only if, you are actually helpful in capturing the property, then I'll try to get some amount of recompense for you. Keep in mind that you don't have a choice in the matter. I've got a writ," He waves around the scroll, holding it like a field marshal's baton. "So any pay you do get would be a gratuity from the nation of Undus, not payment."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The rageforged's gaze is fixed on the vampire, he lets out another low rumble and yanks his sword out of the dirt, with a bit of resistance due to the depth at which the sword was stuck. He then stands to his full height of seven and two thirds of a foot tall.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-02-14 at 12:10 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Writs don't mean a thing to me. What do I look like? Some undead serf you can command? I don't belong to your kingdom, or even your plane of existence, you silly piece of carrion.
    Razor Bite's idle eyes turn into a glare. He rises to his full height, now impressive on his iron mount. As the metal giant pants, Razor looks down on the vampire and his ilk like a giant looking at an insect.
    We don't take orders, and we don't follow laws. We make them. That being said, we DO take jobs for profit. If you can promise pay, we'll recover this property your voice stumbles over. If not, we'll find something else to do. Push the issue, and we'll leave. You can chase your own property, which im guessing you either don't have the time, or the ability to recover. Either way, you need us, as your only other choice is a bunch of mindless rot eaters. So do we have a job, or have you wasted our times with your idle threats?
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The vampire takes a look of scorn at Razor Bite. "This isn't an issue of citizenship or jurisdiction, little imp. This is a writ signed by the Lich-King himself, enforced by Undine steel. We in the Undine Guard pride ourselves on enforcing the imperial will, and if you think you're above our law, we'll take great pleasure in seeing to your end. Now, I've already offered to make sure you're duly rewarded, is there any need to be difficult? Let's just be done with this."

However, the vampire's smugness is disrupted by Slaughterknife's interruption. He looks somewhat puzzled by Slaughterknife's actions. He asks the imp on his shoulder, "What's that mean? Is it a yes?" His voice betrays a faint tone of nervousness, which is even more plain to see in his underlings, who cower behind him.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-02-13 at 11:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

A gurgle erupted from the undead mind flayer that could only be known as mocking laughter. "The preachy one thinks us odd, Moss. he said, pointedly ignoring the follower of Kronos as he looked at the stone affixed to his bracer. "Perhaps we should eat what is left of his brain, then we can se who the odd one is.

His laughter continued, long after Moldebrin's attention had been turned elsewhere. It continued through the Vampire's speech, until finally he let up, turning to stare directly at the creature with his milky, pupil-less eyes.

<I will play your game,> came Moss' voice, projecting into the minds of those all around. <But only because this situation amuses me. But keep in mind, bloodsucker; you hold no power. In fact, I would be happy to lay waste to you and your minions right now.>

((OOC: Sorry it took me so long, guys. I've been having some connection problems. In fact, I'm running off my neighbor's wireless signal right now, so hopefully I can keep this up while my box problem is being fixed.))
    Last edited by Ellas Aramond; 2008-02-14 at 01:42 AM.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

29. - Top - End - #29

Janar stood with his mouth open, horrified. Conscripted? ME? Weakly, Janar added his voice to the others. "Sir, I… well… I don’t think… well that is to say… damn." He couldn’t think of any reason why he couldn’t do this. Hanging his head in defeat, he spoke up again. "Fine. I’ll go." He didn't like doing dangerous things when it didn't culminate in more gained knowledge, but he would just have to suffer through it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Still regarding the Slaughterforged warily, the vampire says, "That's you two, then. Will the rest of you be coming with them, or are we going to have to waste even more time here?"