New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Colony: Superheroes in Spaaaaace!

"The Celestial Arrow is now leaving hyperspace. Current location: Narrobah System. Relinquishing autopilot controls."

The automated voice of the Celestial Arrow's Jump Drive can be heard anywhere in the ship, heralding its return to physical space as it exits one of the many Gates in the Narrobah System. The latest model of Republic transport, the Celestial Arrow is one of very few Stream-Class ships in existence; not very big, but very very fast. It is a given, then, that such a ship should be crewed by humanity's saviours, the Paragons.

The team of three Paragons commanding the ship are currently en-route to the space colony Solstice, in orbit around the resource planet Narrobah-3. Their mission is unclear, as the team was hastily put together in response to an emergency call, but they will recieve further instruction after docking on Solstice.

In the cockpit or their quarters the team prepares themselves for the unknown....
    Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Colony: Superheroes in Spaaaaace!

Dehram doesn't have quarters as such, being slightly too big to fit comfortably in any but the largest of the ship's rooms. He's usually found relaxing around the cargo area, propped up against a wall or in arm's reach of one of the terminals. It is this room that Dehram engages in his two favourite hobbies: eating and weightlifting. When not chewing on the dry rations in the ship's stores, he enjoys constantly benching anything heavy he can find on the ship. Crates, engine parts and other paraphernalia have all at one point been lifted and set down, if for no other reason than to drive away the boredom of spacetravel.

Not that he needs to do either of these activities, as Dehram draws his powers from gravity. And when gravity is weak, as in space, he draws it from the gravity drives on the ship.

When the ship's autopilot turned off, Dehram looked up and instinctually sniffed the air. Instead of getting up, he lazily flicked a switch on the terminal and watched the monitor as Solstice came into view.
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2007-11-12 at 01:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ella has quarters. She even spends time in them, but judging solely by their experiences, her companions aboard ship might not know it; she can be found almost anywhere on the ship. Will be found anywhere on the ship, most likely, because she has a tendency to wander about until she finds someone to engage in conversation. Engage is the right word; even when the other two don't feel like talking, or can't talk because they have their mouth full or are trying to read, she persists, apparently not noticing silence, tactful hints, or anything short of directly telling her to be quiet and then leaving. Fortunately, she takes the rebukes pretty well; forty minutes later, she seems to have forgotten the whole affair. Unfortunately, that starts the cycle anew.

As the Computer Lady finishes speaking, Ella rushes into the cockpit, glancing out the viewing panels into the marvelous vistas of space. "Finally! You'd think that if we can figure out how to violate the laws of time and space to travel faster than light, we'd be able to do it however we want, and not have to bother with all this waiting around. Hey, Kris, you want to take the ship in, or should I do it?" she asks, speaking to Kris if she's already in the cabin and calling it backwards into the livingspace if she's not already here.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4

"You know we're not actually traveling FTL, Ella," Kris replies, not even looking up from the controls in front of her. She's already sitting at the controls; it seems as though she was in the cockpit even while the ship was on autopilot. "If anything here is violating the laws of physics, it's the gates, not the Arrow." She seems about ready to launch into a more involved discussion of the science at work, but checks herself--there's no way she could match Ella for energy or sheer verbosity anyway. She shrugs. "Anyway, I can bring us in. I've been looking over the information in our database about the Solstice colony," she taps a smaller monitor to one side of the control console. "Help yourself, if you like."
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dehram gradually stirred himself to get up, stretching his long arms almost to the ceiling of the cargo hold. The cockpit wasn't far away, but he himself was far too wide to fit through the door to it, so he contented himself by craning his neck to look at the controls and partially through the window.

'It sucks not knowing what we're doing here.'

Dehram's voice was ridiculously low and it seemed to carry throughout the ship, shaking some of the railings that weren't properly secured.
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2007-11-12 at 06:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, sure, but whichever's doing it, you would think they could get rid of the delay." Ella is uncharacteristically silent for a few moments as she sits and looks at the monitor, because Kris has managed to preempt her next question.

She doesn't stop reading at Dehram's partial entrance, but she does commiserate, the key-tapping blending into her words. "It does, kinda, but it makes sense. I mean, they've got an emergency, they don't want to have to stop to explain things to the higher-ups and then wait for them to explain what's going on to us, because they're already going to be kept waiting long enough with the whole faster-than-light non-instant trvel times. Of course, it's not a very smart kind of sense, because if we actually knew what was going on, we'd be a whole lot readier, and we'd solve whatever's going on a lot faster. But hey, nobody ever claimed governments were always smart."

7. - Top - End - #7

The Solstice colony, home of the elite and the priveliged, is relatively small as orbital colonies go. As the Celestial Arrow moves in to dock the crew can just see the orbital elevator that connects Solstice to its lifeblood, Narrobah-3. After passing through the edge of the atmosphere emulator that allows easy passage in and out of the colony, Kris gently brings the ship to rest on one of the landing bays reserved for Republic use.
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dehram had to concentrate to figure out what Ella was talking about in that characteristic speed of hers, but he managed to catch the last few words.

'Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you there.'

Apparently, this is as long a sentence as Dehram usually makes. In any case, as soon as the ship landed he slowly moved through the cargo bay, huge bare feet slapping on the metal floor, making their usual booming sound. He reached for the manual release for the cargo bay doors and pressed it.
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2007-11-13 at 09:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Shortly after Dehram exits the ship he is met and greeted by a jet black service droid, in the monotone common to such beings.

"Welcome to Solstice, Sir. We are glad that the Republic was able to honour our request. If you would please gather your party and follow me I will take you to the briefing room where we can discuss your commission at leisure."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dehram briefly wondered who the droid was calling 'sir'. Instead of responding, he simply looked back at the ship and waited for the others.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Ella is not long in arriving, having skimmed the information Kris gathered on the monitor and then gotten up to get outside. Yes! Outside the tiny confines of the ship and into the considerably more expansive confines of a space station!

"Come on, Kris!" she calls back cheerfully, regardless of whether Kris is following or still in the cockpit. "They've got a droid waiting for us!" She rapidly turns her attention to the droid. "So, what's the problem?"

12. - Top - End - #12

"If you will excuse me, ma'am, such matters are not to be spoken of in public. If you would please follow me to the briefing room we can discuss the matter at leisure."

The droid continues to stand in the same pose as it waits patiently for the whole party to assemble.

13. - Top - End - #13

After locking down the ship's computer, Kris follows Ella out of the cockpit and down to the cargo bay. As she walks, she readjusts her ever-present tool belt, which had shifted slightly while she was sitting at the control console.

She catches up to the others just in time to hear the droid's last statements. Content to wait until they reach the briefing room, she will follow the droid in silence, looking around as they walk in the hope of noticing any signs of anything unusual.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

As the last of the crew disembarks the droid bows, and leads them away from the hangar and into the colony proper. The clean white corridors of Solstice stretch out before the party, and it takes a good fifteen minutes before the droid finally stops in-front of an office door. Leading the group inside, the droid directs them to a large room in which several comfortable-looking chairs face a wide videoscreen on the wall. Upon stepping into this room, the group is greeted by a middle-aged man sporting an impressive thick moustache.

"Welcome to Solstice" he says, shaking each of their hands "We're all very glad that you were able to come out at such short notice. We called HQ as soon as we got the warning, but we had a very short window of opportunity. Oh yes, please do take a seat. Would any of you care for tea?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dehram mentally mapped the layout of Solstice as they walked through the complex, ignoring the way the stomping of his feet shook the floor. Once the droid presented the videoscreen room to them, the giant pretended to sit down on one of the chairs. Knowing full-well the chair would collapse if he actually sat on it, he settled for floating an inch above it. It was a surreal sight.

'I'll pass,' Dehram responded to the moustached-man. He sniffed the air and caught his scent. There was something about the man he didn't trust; he didn't seem very urgent.

'Look, what's all this about?'
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2007-11-15 at 06:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kris claims one of the chairs, sitting forward with her elbows propped on her knees. Her nose wrinkles slightly at the offer of tea. "I don't suppose you've got coffee?" she asks, though she doesn't sound terribly hopeful. She turns her attention to the viewscreen, nodding as Dehram speaks. "Indeed. We weren't briefed; what's the problem?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"Coffee if you've got it," Ella agrees cheerfully, flopping into one of the chairs. People outside Anidos never knew how to set the gravity quite right. She takes a look at the viewscreen. "You've got a visual presentation, or is this the local theater?"

18. - Top - End - #18

As the droid leaves to procure some coffee your host activates the viewscreen, which displays a highly-detailed map of the colony.

"As you may or may not be aware, tomorrow marks the date of the annual Regalia Dance here on Solstice. This is the most important festival in the calendar here, and it is traditionally marked by a formal dance event held in the main hall marked here."

He gestures at the map behind him, which highlights the hall as he mentions it.

"Yesterday we recieved an anonymous tip-off, claiming that a rogue Paragon intended to disrupt the celebrations, for some nefarious reason. It is our hope that the presence of yourselves at the dance will be enough to dissuade our unknown saboteur from his plans, or at least neutralise him with a minimum of disruption."

19. - Top - End - #19

If the man's pause seems intended to invite comment, Kris nods and speaks up. "All right. We'll want a closer view of the layout of the hall where the event will be held, preferably including schematics of all service ducts, ventilation, sewage, and power, as well as those in the area immediately surrounding the building. What sort of surveillance does the hall have?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"And if nothing happens, we end up going to a festival," Ella remarks. Anonymous tip-offs aren't always accurate; sometimes, it's just some joker. "Nice. Can anyone show up at the dance, or is it invitation-only? If you've got a guest list, it makes things a bit easier than if anyone can just walk right in and start causing trouble in the middle of everyone. 'Course, if it turns out to be one of your guests, that doesn't help anyway, and we probably don't have the time to check all of them out..."

She shrugs. "So, yeah. You have security already, I take it?"

21. - Top - End - #21

The gang's host obligingly brings up a closer view of the hall on the screen, which zooms in and out and rotates while he describes the layout in detail.

The hall in question is apparently one big room, with a side order of understatement; in order to accomodate every noble on the station the dance hall is the biggest room on Solstice. One wall is dominated by a large stage, and the only entrance is a door on the opposite side; this leads to a cloakroom and an egress to the streets of Solstice. The hall itself is apparently monitored by security cameras hidden in the lights, which are then watched by a security team elsewhere on the colony.

In response to Ella's questions the man explains that the dance is open to all the nobles of Solstice, and so a guest list is not available.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dehram hovered above his chair for what seemed like 13 days, and viewed the plans of the dance hall. He especially kept an eye out for an places that would hide a person of his stature. Dehram didn't see any particular need to reveal his presence until the right moment, as he didn't exactly blend into a crowd, and jumping out in front of a potential enemy has proved effective many a time, if only because it scares them stupid.

'Kris, you can tap into the security cameras from any computer terminal, right?'

23. - Top - End - #23

Kris nods, not taking her eyes off the screen. "As long as they're all connected to the same system, it shouldn't be a problem." After another moment of studying the layout, her eyes flick briefly to their host. "Are schematics available?" she asks. "If necessary, you can get them to me later."
    Last edited by Jannex; 2007-11-29 at 01:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

'If anything does kick off, I want the hall cleared as soon as possible. Make sure all the guests know the evacuation procedure.'

Dehram usually tried to avoid civilian casualties when he worked, however his track record with collateral damage wasn't exactly exemplary. Which might explain why he was chosen for mostly offensive missions and rarely for guard duty.
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2007-12-01 at 03:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"Too much to hope, I guess. So do we go public? Make our presence known to try to scare off whoever's doing this? Keep it quiet and hope to catch someone in the act? Or we could take the middle road, let rumors about Paragons get out to try to spook whoever's doing this but keep details secret so they aren't sure what to do. That one sounds best, actually—have you let anyone know already? Outside your government?" The last bit is directed at their host.

"And what's our plan? Inside the room, watching from nearby, spread out?"

26. - Top - End - #26

The droid from earlier returns with coffee as the man attempts to answer the group's questions.

"Members of the public have not been informed of this threat; only I, you, my associates, and the security team know of this. Even if we'd wanted to spread awareness there has been precious little time since we recieved word."

The man accepts a cup of coffee from the droid, but he is presently interrupted by a communicator at his belt beeping incessantly. He leaves the group to discuss a plan while he answers the call.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Ella sips coffee, or more accurately slurps it. "Not hot enough. Anyway, what do you guys think? Do we keep this quiet, or let word get out and hope that they're spooked by us rather than forewarned?"

28. - Top - End - #28

"I'm inclined to keep things quiet, actually," Kris says, after taking a long sip of her coffee. From the expression on her face, it isn't quite strong enough for her tastes, but she hadn't expected better. "Anyone amateur enough to be spooked away by the arrival of a couple of Paragons would be more likely to be a danger by accident than on purpose. And if we're dealing with a more competent person--or group--we'll want to maintain the element of surprise. I can keep an eye on pretty much the entire place, between the pre-existing surveillance equipment and what I can rig up before the event. Ella, I imagine you'll want to mingle with the guests and keep tabs on things up close?" She turns to Dehram. "And I'm guessing you'll be ready to step in if things should get interesting? I should be able to manage us communications gear, if the colony can't provide."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dehram nodded.

'Don't think I'll bother hiding out on this one. Figured someone like me jumping out when there's trouble might spook a few patrons. Just gimme a security badge and I'll lurk at the buffet for a bit, 'til, as you said, things get interesting.'
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2007-12-04 at 09:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"'F you want, I can take a shot at keeping you hidden," Ella offers. "Cause, it might spook some people to crash out of the walls, but you sitting out there is also like a ten-foot sign saying PARAGONs. I guess, if someone's gonna make trouble, you can probably handle whatever they do better than anyone else in the room, but it still tips our hand a bit."