New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default No Country for Ye Olde Men

The small wagon train stretches along New North Road, the toll highway winding from Bartleby Grand to the ancient Ghostwood. The wagons are identical to common covered wagons used to ship goods and people across the country. Identical, except for odd superfluous planks lashed to each axle.

Before you have the opportunity to examine this structural anomaly further, the same short man from the Inn, who introduces himself as Bernard, assigns you to a covered wagon. “May wanna git 'er in der,” he explains, “She's open'er up soon.”

Settling into the wagon, you don't get much time to wonder who “she” is, as a clap of thunder rocks your seat and torrential rain begins drumming off the the canvas above your heads. The constant rain and the occasional clap of thunder make conversation impossible. Instead, you settle in to your seat for the trip of unknown duration and take the opportunity to examine your fellows

[ooc]Welcome. The wagon seats 8 (oddly enough) and those 8 just so happen to be everyone in this party (strange how things work out like that, huh?). Take this opportunity to describe your character, what you're wearing, feeling, expressions, etc. If you want to expend the effort, you can try to yell over the rain and thunder. If someone is yelling at you, just give me some time to write what was heard through the storm before you respond. I wouldn't recommend casting any spells.

I'll wait to continue until after everyone has posted here, that way we can make sure everyone is ready for the adventure.

Oh, and please tell me where you are sitting. The seats are essentially long boards nailed to the side of the wagon. So 1,3,5,7 face 2,4,6,8.
    Front of the wagon
    1 (Karthan) 2 (Rane)
    3 (Mikootaktoo) 4 (Iv)
    5 (Jules) 6 (Astoral)
    7 (Cog) 8 (Tel)
    Back of the wagon.[/ooc]
    Last edited by lotofsnow; 2008-02-13 at 07:28 PM.
    Black Frost Champion PrC

Thanks Jagg for the image in my avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: No Country for Ye Olde Men

Jules

A young man, barely out of boyhood sits near the middle of the wagon. He wears clean white robes with blue trimmings over his polished armor, and a brown cloth backpack rests on his knees. A wooden holy symbol hangs around his neck, giving him the appearance of a priest of some sort.

He is a simple looking man, with pale skin, and short black hair parted down the middle. But his bright green eyes gleam with intensity, betraying the fact, that he knows far more than he lets on.

He glances around at his new colleagues, silently noting what he sees, but showing no expression that betray his thoughts.

Well, looks like I made the cut. Wow, I almost can't believe I'm actually out here. Maybe I'll get to see all those monsters, that I've only so far read about!

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I'll take seat 5.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-02-13 at 10:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mikootaktoo introduces himself as he hefts himself into the wagon with his crossbow, "Miktootaktoo be my name, but you can call me`Mik' if it pleases you." His accent is a bit foreign, reminiscent of the speech of sailors down at the wharf. His hair is cut short and his tight-fitting clothes reveal a muscled physique. He looks a bit familiar--you may have seen him working as a bouncer at a local tavern. He carries a full-looking backpack on his shoulders, and a crossbow swings from his hip. On his belt are two small pouches.

Mikootaktoo takes seat #3. When the rain starts, he exclaims, "Curse this bloody thrice-damned racket! I cannot even hear meself think!".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Karthan

Sitting towards the front of the cart is a short broad figure. It's quite easy to tell he's a dwarf from his basic shape, and the thick dark eyebrows. Unfortunately (at least in terms of identification) these eyebrows and the eyes beneath them are all of the figure that can be seen. He is entirely clad in black cloth, and rather well armed. A curved, machete like knife hangs at his waist, with a hand crossbow hanging on the other side. a number of balanced throwing daggers are strapped into the belt, and a short blade is slung up-side down on his back.

His eyes are closed, and he seems to be thinking quietly, almost meditating. His hands are on his knees, and he sits with good posture.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be at number 1
    also, anyone whos played assassins creed will know what I mean by up-side down short blade on his back
    Last edited by Zyks; 2008-02-13 at 10:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

A tall, well-built man with short, black hair shaved down to stubble. He sits across from the man with the intense eyes, noting the holy symbol and chuckling to himself. "This ought to be a fun group. Perhaps this holy man will save us from the rain with his divine miracles..." he thinks to himself. He chuckles again, and nods warmly to the cleric across from him. He looks around the wagon, looking at each member of the group, his eyes lingering on the darkly-clad dwarf. "A fun group indeed..."
    Fun fact: My school gets the first day of buck season off.

Thanks to Sneak for the awesome, dual-wielding avatar

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cog

A small, slim warforged, armored in gleaming silver plates walks up to the wagon. It wears no clothing, and carries no belongings other than a small traveler's backpack and a round steel shield. Quiet and contemplative, the warforged seems almost lost in thought.

Climbing into the wagon, Cog takes the open seat at the back of the wagon .[ooc seat 7] He notes his companions with a half-hearted attempt at interest, but they are peoples, and they all look more or less the same as the others he has encountered. Silent and still, Cog settles into the service of yet another mercenary company.

He begins to meditate, silently focusing his mind and practicing what control he has worked hard to learn over his still largely mysterious powers. He focuses his mind, seeking out the parts of his consciousness that make him special, gaining psionic focus, and then expending it, over and over again. To an observer, he would appear to be doing nothing at all, unless their sharp and observant eyes noted an almost imperceptible pulsing in the light of his eyes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tel

A rather young man, in brown cape and hat, climbs in directly across from the warforged (seat 8). His cape is moth-ridden, and his leather armor is beaten up, though the chain links over it are both well-fitted and shiny. He carries a large sword on his back, its hilt unadorned, but well-crafted. His hair is a mess of auburn, and his green eyes look positively joyous.

As he settles in, he waves politely at the rest of the people in the wagon, and then turns to watch the outside thunderstorm.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Iv Lluildinruraquekzik (and Imskelarsamthar)

"Aeiii!" A small person swathed in robes leapt into the wagon. Topping out at slightly above 3 feet, she was able to stand upright in the middle of the wagon as she looked around at the others. "Greetings, fellow travellers. I am honored to join you in this our first day of employ despite the unfortunate flooding which threatens to wash all life before it but as we are provided with this magnificent shelter from the importunate rainstorm Iv Lluildinruraquekzik greets you and hopes that you will welcome her and her companion who is called Imskelarsamthar and perhaps we might sit there?"

The fact that no one could actually hear a word she said seemed not to matter one bit, for she did not wait for a response. With a bow to the others, the gnome, as she now revealed herself to be, hopped onto the bench at seat 4 and pulled back her hood. Her gear was well made and very clean, but had seen some wear. Her cloak had been carefully mended by an inexpert hand. She carried a sword almost as large as she was, and as she sat on the bench she pulled a bow out of her gear and began to dry it off.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Tel

Barely able to make out the loudest of her yells, Telafor smiles at the short, animated traveler.

She's even happier than me to be here. No doubt that I'd be gettin' an earful if there weren't this storm. Truly, this day is full of blessings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edited for typoes
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-02-14 at 09:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rane

A well muscled wood elf with dark hair and a grim look that warred with a smile at the corners of his mouth quietly took the last seat just as the rain began to fall. Both his bow and his sword were longer than the elf, but both were clearly well maintained. The studs on his armor had a matte finish of some kind that swallowed light, but otherwise appeared normal. A buckler adorned one side of his back pack, while a quiver the other. He swept his gaze over the others while the din of the rainstorm drowned any thought of conversation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like I'm sitting next to the gnome...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

The rain continues well into the evening. The roaring on the roof eventually turns into a patter and then a trickle.

The wagon jerks to a stop. A brief moment brings Bernard's head poking through the wagon's entrance:

"C'mon out 'ere," he commands before disappearing again.

Outside the wagon, the sun sits just above the horizon, hazy in the after-rain gloom. The Grand Marches stretch flat in every direction but one, a lush green except for the gray gravel line of New North Road.

A low hill rises from the plain in front of you. Small, temporary, two-person tents circle the crest, creating a stark white rampart in contrast to the flat land for miles.

The occupants of the other five wagons mill about, stretching their legs. A few strike up conversations among their wagon-mates, but the majority stand in silence, basking in their new freedom from canvas prisons.

You see Bernard, with a small group, moving from wagon to wagon. He says a few words and hands out some parcels.

"Ok, now pair yerselfs up," he instructs when arriving at your wagon. "Take dis, an' find a shelter. Two o'yous per one. Tryin' build o'fire if ye want," he adds with a chuckle, handing each of you a small mess kit filled with 3 trail rations.

The small man turns abruptly, making his way to the remaining wagons.
    Black Frost Champion PrC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Jules

Jules hops down from the Wagon and accepts a set of rations.

Pair up eh? This must be the "Buddy system" I've heard about.

He looks over his new colleagues once again, performing a few quick calculations as to which one might make an ideal pair, at least for the night.

On one hand, I would prefer someone sturdy who could stand between me and potential danger, he thinks to himself as he eyes Cog and Tel.

On the other, perhaps someone of a slightly more intellectual bent, may suit a thinker such as myself, he reasons as he looks over Mik.

However, there is something to be said about having ample space in a small 2 person tent, he considers as his eyes settle on the small Iv.

He makes up his mind and approaches the gnome, "Evening Iv. I'm Jules Helix. Would you mind sharing a tent with a humble healer?" he asks in a calm, straightforward manner.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-02-14 at 08:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Before Bernard departs, Mikootaktoo asks, "Do you have any drink? Man cannot depend on food alone for his nourishment, and a good rum would hit the spot right about now..."

Once Bernard departs, Mikootaktoo turns to the black-clad dwarf and says in Dwarvish, "Greetings. In my youth, I once saw humans dressed as you in a distant land, but never a dwarf. Let us share that tent over there and exchange stories.". Mikootaktoo points at a tent, then begins to walks toward it. Calling over his shoulder, he asks in Common, "What was your name again?"

(OOC: I'll put non-Common speech in italics)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Iv

Quote Originally Posted by lotofsnow View Post
    The rain continues well into the evening. The roaring on the roof eventually turns into a patter and then a trickle.
    Once it became obvious that this was to be a long trip, Iv climbed down from the bench, pulled a blanket from her pack, and took a nap under the seat. She awoke when the thunderous rain stopped, and carefully clambered out, trying, and mostly succeeding, to avoid smacking any of the others in the legs. She carefully folded and put away her blanket and then clambered back up onto the bench, sitting crosslegged and looking around at the others.

Iv opened the front of her robes and loosened the armor beneath, pulling out a leather pouch. Carefully opening the top, she whispered into the bag a few Gnomish sentences, <Come out of there, little one. It is dry now, and I will keep you warm as always. Show yourself.> With a faint rustle, a dramatically patterned desert viper* emerged and wrapper itself around the gnome's wrist.

The gnome smiled shyly at the others and announced, "This is my beloved friend Imskelarsamthar, who has traveled with me from our home in the far lands and serves to comfort my heart when the sky opens upon my head and drowns me with the tears of the gods."

"Have any of you other noble sirs knowledge of this Rorgund to whom I have pledged my sword? I have been newly hired and know not what is to come but is it possible that one of you learned gentle--" Iv's patter faltered for a second as she looked at Cog, but she quickly continued "er, gentlemen might know something of our destination?" She waited to hear what the others might say, hoping the journey would be interrupted by some friendly conversation.

*OOC: Since "Tiny viper" isn't particularly specific, I was thinking her familar is a small Diamondback rattler.

The wagon jerks to a stop. A brief moment brings Bernard's head poking through the wagon's entrance:

Outside the wagon, the sun sits just above the horizon, hazy in the after-rain gloom. The Grand Marches stretch flat in every direction but one, a lush green except for the gray gravel line of New North Road.

A low hill rises from the plain in front of you. Small, temporary, two-person tents circle the crest, creating a stark white rampart in contrast to the flat land for miles.

The occupants of the other five wagons mill about, stretching their legs. A few strike up conversations among their wagon-mates, but the majority stand in silence, basking in their new freedom from canvas prisons.

You see Bernard, with a small group, moving from wagon to wagon. He says a few words and hands out some parcels.

"Ok, now pair yerselfs up," he instructs when arriving at your wagon. "Take dis, an' find a shelter. Two o'yous per one. Tryin' build o'fire if ye want," he adds with a chuckle, handing each of you a small mess kit filled with 3 trail rations.

The small man turns abruptly, making his way to the remaining wagons.
    "Ah, noble sir?" Iv scampered after Barnard, making surprisingly good time for someone with such short legs. "This one who is known as Iv Lluildinruraquekzik wishes to know if we are to set up our tents in a certain area or are we to choose that which pleases us each to another and if this one is to use her own tent which is a fine desert rider's tent of great beauty and meaning or is she to use one of those boring white tents like unto those over there," here she made a contemptuous flap of her hand at the circle of tents on the hill, "and if she is to use them where is she to find one to use or is this an exercise in reconnaissance and recovery which she would be happy to begin at any moment as a demonstration of her abilities to overcome difficulties?" Despite the flow of words she kept up with Barnard if he continued moving and seemed only slightly out of breath at the end as she waited to hear if there was a response.

Edit Note to self: write, edit, post, then play in the backyard with the gleeful snowy children.

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    He makes up his mind and approaches the gnome, "Evening Iv. I'm Jules Helix. Would you mind sharing a tent with a humble healer?" he asks in a calm, straightforward manner.
    Iv made a deep flourishing bow and then straightened, smiling up at him with twinkling eyes, "I would be honored, noble sir, and respect the bravery of one who volunteers to share a tent with one such as I."
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-02-14 at 10:26 AM. Reason: thread moved on while I was posting...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bernard halts his brisk pace and turns to glare (despite his low height) down upon the gnome, an angry scowl twisting his face.

"One thing you'n have ta learn if you wanna make it here. That's to do what n'when I say. If I tell you to jump, you say how high, sir. Not, 'if I had a ladder and some spring shoes I could reach meh mehmeh meh meh' (he says this in poor imitation of the gnomes voice). Now, get back'n dere an'pick a pair and find a tent on yonder hill."

With that, he turns away and continues his way among the remaining wagons.
    Black Frost Champion PrC

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Jules

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
    Iv made a deep flourishing bow and then straightened, smiling up at him with twinkling eyes, "I would be honored, noble sir, and respect the bravery of one who volunteers to share a tent with one such as I."
    Jules gave a gentle smile and made a simple bow in return. What a cheerful little gnome. I think we shall get on quite well.

Jules gestured towards the standing plain looking tents and said, "You seem to know a lot more about tents than I do, so I'll give you the honour of selecting one for us."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Astoral

"Haha, who ever said I didn't have a sense of irony..."

Astoral approaches the young cleric, full of mock civility and proper manners.

Excuse me my fine sir, but I noticed the holy symbol hanging from your neck and I would love to share a tent with a man of such strong faith. I would sleep quite soundly indeed knowing that your omnipotent deity is watching over us, making it his (or her I suppose) personal duty to safeguard us through the night. What my candied words are trying to convey is, well... Would you share a tent with me?

He bows low to the holyman, rising with a big smile spreading across his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check for the heavy sarcasm maybe? Just in case.
    Bluff:(1d20+14)[33]
    Yes, that's my modifier. Thank you Beguiling Influence
    Last edited by dual_wielder; 2008-02-14 at 11:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Karthan

Quote Originally Posted by Agthorr View Post
    Once Bernard departs, Mikootaktoo turns to the black-clad dwarf and says in Dwarvish, "Greetings. In my youth, I once saw humans dressed as you in a distant land, but never a dwarf. Let us share that tent over there and exchange stories.". Mikootaktoo points at a tent, then begins to walks toward it. Calling over his shoulder, he asks in Common, "What was your name again?"

Sure, I don't mind sharing a tent with you. I'm Karthan, and it's not surprising that you havent seen my kind like this. I'm a sort of outcast, and yet not. I don't follow the traditional fighting ways of my kind, and have voluntarily left their ranks to find my own style. I'm much more comfortable in the shadows with only my skill to defend me than up front with an axe.

Karthan speaks in perfect common, with only a very slight hint of the usual dwarvish accent. He takes the rations and glides across into one of the tents.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]To Astoral: Just to clarify, are you talking to Jules, who is dressed like a cleric but has already agreed to room with Iv, or to Rane, who is actually a cleric but doesn't really look the part?[/ooc]
    Last edited by lotofsnow; 2008-02-14 at 11:34 AM.
    Black Frost Champion PrC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Tel

Climbing out of the wagon, Tel sees most of the others pair up. Looking around, he sees only one more person without a buddy: the warforged.

What a strange golem; haven't seen anything like him before. Seems friendly enough, though.

Gathering his chutzpah, Tel walks toward Cog, and extends a hand.
    "Er...sir? My name's Tel Skytter. Care to room together?"
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-02-14 at 11:35 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmmm, didn't notice that the actual cleric wasn't dressed like a cleric. Make that speech address to Rane I suppose, and we can assume Astoral somehow knew he was a cleric

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the journey wore on in hours, Cog opened his pack and took out a few short lengths of different color wire, and began braiding them into complex patterns, then unbraiding them and braiding them again into a new pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by lotofsnow

The others emerge from the long voyage, many of them stretching and yawning. Cog climbs out and simply stands and waits for his next orders.

Quote Originally Posted by lot

Cog looks in confusion at the rations that were thrust into his hands. He hands them back to Bernard. "I do not eat." is all he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose
    Gathering his chutzpah, Tel walks toward Cog, and extends a hand.
    "Er...sir? My name's Tel Skytter. Care to room together?"
    "Tel." Like debrief, Cog thinks. With the red hair. "I am called Cog"

He stares at the man's hand curiously.

"I will share a tent with you. I do not sleep, but if you need your armor repaired or polished, it is- was my specialty. If not, I will keep watch all night."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Iv

Bernard... turns away and continues his way among the remaining wagons.
    The gnome's eyes narrowed. She muttered her clan's motto in a harsh whisper, <Don't get mad; get even> and glared at Bernard's back for a few seconds. Before the irritated soldier could snarl at her again, Iv spun around and tramped back to the group. As she walked, a grin slowly spread across her face.

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Jules gestured towards the standing plain looking tents and said, "You seem to know a lot more about tents than I do, so I'll give you the honour of selecting one for us."
    "Certainly Jules; it would be a honor! Bernard must be saddened by his lack of height as compared to the rest of you Tall Folk, for he seems to feel I should need a ladder or some strange footgear called 'spring shoes', but I will let his anger rest unresponded for now. Since he wishes us to take him literally and denies us the right nor the need to ask for clarity I will happily choose to follow his orders to 'find a shelter' and 'build a fire'. Shall we?" Iv gleefully raced up the hill to pick a tent for herself and the healer.

After she set down her pack within the shelter she commenced collecting everything potentially burnable that wasn't nailed down to make a giant bonfire downwind of her tent. If anyone questioned what she was doing, her response was, "I'm following orders!" She seemed terrifically happy about the whole thing, practically radiating the concept of "Cheerful and Willing Obedience to Authority", and used Bluff and Intimidate as needed to collect flammable items, such as branches, fallen logs, chairs, desks, tables, or anything else that might make a good bonfire.

If (when) Bernard himself arrived to interfere, she insisted she was in the right, "But noble sir, you specifically told me to 'tryin build a fire if ye want' and I am just following your orders, o most honored general."

Unless stopped by someone in authority (or convinced to stop by one of the squad), once the heap of burnables was prepared, she used Prestidigation to dry a mound of sticks for tinder, poured some oil on the base logs and started the fire. She continued to tend it, since even with dry tinder to start and some oil for a help it would need care and would probably smoke a bit.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: "Best available tent" is a) in a dry spot away from puddles and drain beds, b) on the dry side of the hill if there is one, and c) on the lee side of the hill.

Building the fire:
    Bluff: (d20+7)[27]
    Intimidate: (d20+4)[24]

Starting the fire:
    Survival: (d20+4)[8]

If the initial attempt fails, she will Take 10 or Take 20 to get the thing to catch fire.

Edit Wow! She collected one heckuva pile of stuff there. Too bad this baby won't light. Taking 10 (or 20) it is then.

Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-02-14 at 12:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iv hustles to and fro searching for items necessary for her revenge. Unfortunately, the camp is rather sparce, it being temporary. No tables, chairs or desks are to be found. However, she does accumulate a large pile using all of the wet wood allotted to each tent. With a quick mutter providing her with dried tinder and a splash of oil upon the pile, the fire ignites and slowly, but surely begins to consume the entire pile.

The other mercenaries making their way to their tents, realizing they have no wood left for them, glare at the gnome in anger. A few whisper to each other and make threatening gestures before retreating to their tents to much upon their meals.

Bernard, seeing the massive bonfire, chuckles quietly to himself before announcing:

"We move again a'dawn. Best ya be ready by then."

So saying, he turns back to the lead wagon. Shortly, a small plume of smoke can be seen emerging from a stovepipe in the roof.
    Black Frost Champion PrC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H Savvy View Post
    "Tel." Like debrief, Cog thinks. With the red hair. "I am called Cog"

He stares at the man's hand curiously.

"I will share a tent with you. I do not sleep, but if you need your armor repaired or polished, it is- was my specialty. If not, I will keep watch all night."
    Tel

Telafor holds his hand out for half a second more, then self-consciously draws it back.

"Er, right. Well, it's nice to meet you, Cog. We can discuss what we're gonna do when we get a tent; let's find one."

With that, Tel walks off toward the encampment.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-02-14 at 02:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cog follows the human up the hill as they seek a tent to Tel's liking. This human was a strange one, to be sure, but he seemed kind enough. Far kinder, at least, than many humans Cog had encountered in the past. Humans who seemed angry at his very existence, as though he were a mockery of their lives.

No, if he was to be paired with a people, this human would be a pleasant enough companion.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by dual_wielder View Post
    Astoral

"Haha, who ever said I didn't have a sense of irony..."

Astoral approaches the young cleric, full of mock civility and proper manners.

Excuse me my fine sir, but I noticed the holy symbol hanging from your neck and I would love to share a tent with a man of such strong faith. I would sleep quite soundly indeed knowing that your omnipotent deity is watching over us, making it his (or her I suppose) personal duty to safeguard us through the night. What my candied words are trying to convey is, well... Would you share a tent with me?

He bows low to the holyman, rising with a big smile spreading across his face.
    Rane's grim expression won out as the human spoke. Eyeing the human closely, then taking a deliberate look inside his own shirt, the elf made a dismissive gesture and replied, "I think you've mistaken me for someone who cares about your 'state of grace', or whatever you call it, human. Have a tent to yourself if you like. I lóre under the stars."
    With that, Rane turned on his heel and marched up the hill to where the gnome was busily tending her bonfire.
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-02-15 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Speech Color.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Jules

As soon as Iv had selected a tent, Jules settled in and started to prepare for the night. He unstrapped his armor, and proceeded to give his gear its daily maintainence routine, while leaving Iv to "build a fire" as it were.

When he finally looked up from polishing his armor, he was astounded to see the wood from half the camp gathered in front of his tent and the Gnome setting it ablaze. Jules proceeded to heat up his trail rations by the flame, "Thanks for the fire Iv".

But as he ate his dinner, Jules observed that the other mercenaries were none too happy about having their wood taken from them (by a 3 ft tall gnome no less). When a few of them started to make threatening gestures, Jules broke out in cold sweat. This may be the world's shortest Mercenary career in history.

But eventually the other Mercenaries left them alone, and Jules heaved a sigh of relief.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-02-14 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Some minor grammar

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Iv

Once the fire was blazing merrily, Iv stood in front of it and cried, "I bring you FIRE!" Noticing one of the other mercenaries glaring glumly over at the bonfire, she raced over and invited him to join in the communal blaze. "We must all work together to overcome the enemy and just as one little fire will not give up enough heat to warm even my small bones my sword is not enough to slay our enemies but come and sit together by the fire and be warm! Tell us stories of your prowess for we will all fight together to bring honor, glory and GOLD to Rorgund's Raiders! I am called Iv Lluildinruraquekzik and I am a warrior from the far lands of the True People."

The little gnome continued trying to gather the other mercenaries to join the fire circle until Bernard sent them all to bed.

OOC: No, there will not be any singing of Kumbayah or any of that other nonsense, although if Iv had had any warning that she was hired and about to leave town she would have spent a few of her last coins on a jug of something cheap and strong. Nothing funnier than a drunk gnome barbarian...
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-02-15 at 09:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Rane

As Rane approached the fire, his mood lightened somewhat. The gnome was clearly trying to whip up enthusiasm, and seemed to be having some success.

"...I am called Iv Lluildinruraquekzik and I am a warrior from the far lands of the True People."

"And I am Rane Mistaya, late of the Forest of Autumn, later still of the Ghostwood, and latest of all of Bartleby Grand. I am on the andavanta, as my people say, but will return to the land of my birth someday, ogres be damned," the elf replied seriously.

Spoiler
    Show
    Andavanta means "long walk", for those who speak elvish.