New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Into the Breach [IC]

The Wavemistress

Bartholomew explains, "Yer 'orses 'ill 'ave to stay on deck, I'm afraid. Th' 'old be nay a place for an animal like tha'. Thar be enough 'ammocks for the lot o' ye. Baxter'll 'ave 'is 'ands full enough feedin' th' lot o' ye, so ye'll be in charge o' takin' care o' yer mounts." The Mistresses' captain says to Jaxal, "If'n ye know yer way 'round a ship, ye be welcome to - long as ye follow me orders, that is." He looks back at everyone, "Now, I got me a schedule to keep." Bartholomew goes back to work along with his crew. It is clear that the vessel has enough to keep the ship moving at a fast pace, but these men will not be able to be counted on sailing and fighting at the same time. Having marines or more men aboard would most likely arouse suspicion, so the party is going to have to be the ones to repel boarders if that occurs.

Back at Rosie's

After securing their horses and stowing their belongings on board the Wavemistress, the party discusses what to do with the money and items they confiscated from the wererats. Knowing no shop will be open at this late hour, the group decides to see if Gregor and his gypsies can be of service. When the group heads back into Rosie's, they are stopped at the door by Opa who looks sternly at the party and says, "What do you in Opa's warehouse? Much noise. Try to steal from Opa?"
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-03-14 at 07:06 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jaxal---

Looks at Opa indignantly:

"You mean you heard all that ruckus and you didn't come to see if those thieves killed us?! You cowardly little weasel! Either you are in on it or to stupid to get the right answers. Now get out of my way before I turn you into a toad. Begone we have kingdom business to finish attending to. Or do I need to call the guard?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+6)[13]

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you want us to play out the bargaining?

"Here's your lock Opa. It was outside the building. Now before you go accusing anyone again go check your building."
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-03-14 at 06:03 PM.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

----- Jomei -----

After Jaxal's outburst I look up at Opa and bare my fangs and say in a quiet voice
    Opa, the City Watch is probably still out there watching the loading of the ship. We merely saved it from ratmen that broke into your warehouse. As my friend Jaxal says you may want to go check on your warehouse.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate check (1d20)[7]
    either -2 or +3 if you let me use strength instead of charsima
    Latem Yvaeh

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nathan

Upon hearing that his horse would have to stay outside, Nathan decides it is wiser for him to leave her here. He thanks the captain and says to the group, "I've left some belongings with my horse. I'll be right back." He then walks to the stable where he left Bessie, to retrieve her saddlebags and the contents therein.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

So I guess I'm leaving my horse here, itll probably be a burden if I take it on the ship. I'm going to carry the saddlebags, and so I'm changing my character sheet to reflect that
    time as surrogate religion
    Nathan (Into the Breach)

5. - Top - End - #155

PirateCaptain

In Rosie's

Opa's eyes narrow at the threats from the two. He says as he takes the lock, "You no welcome. Go now or guard will take you."

ooc: That didn't work as planned. I guess the reward will be kept.

That also means no buying from the gypsies. Horses will be on deck of the ship since there are no stables aboard. Fast forward?
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

----- Jomei -----

I had the crossbows and rapiers to Jaxal and I reach in my shirt and hand him 6 gold.Remeber 10 silver tipped arrows and 10 cold iron tipped arrows and see if they have a silver morning star for Mellavin.

I then look up and stand to my full height and glower at Opa.
    Come with me you lets go look at your warehouse and the dead we defended it from. You think I would kid you about the City Guard you know how much they dislike me even tho I work for them as a scout. Come on bring your lock so you can be sure to lock up when they are done loading the crates. Then when you see we tell the truth the next time you won't be so quick to bar the saviors of your precious warehouse from the warmth and comfort of your fires!

I walk outside and motion Opa to follow. I call out Ho there Zaefur and Daven wait before you ride off bring the prisoners and the dead over here. Opa is complaining about the noise instead of the results.
    Latem Yvaeh

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Zaefner

Turning his horse around, Zaefner seems slightly amused.

"ZaefNER. We've spilled blood together, the least we can do is get each others names right...Jomei. Sorry about my earlier behavior...you can never tell someone's character until you've fought alongside them. Daven, would you mind taking these bodies to the captain yourself, after we satisfy the innkeeper's curiousity? I put my name on that contract, lost a considerable amount of blood protecting the cargo, and will be damned if I'm not going to see this through."

Zaefner drops the corpses off his horse and drags one to the entrance of the inn.
    Last edited by Vhaeryl; 2008-03-17 at 09:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

PirateCaptain

Opa's curiosity appears piqued, and he waddles to to the door. When the ranger, Daven and fighter, Zaefner bring the captured prisoners over his eyes widen a bit. He steps back in, retrieves a lit lantern, and then hustles to the warehouse. He looks inside and sees the carnage. Crossbow bolts stuck into the crates, pools of blood, and bloody footprints (both humanoid and animal) are plainly visible.

He turns to the party and smiles, "Things disappear from Opa's warehouse. Now Opa sees why. Opa lose many crowns from these thieves. Opa think Gregor were thief. Opa wrong. Opa fix drains so only water pass through. Come, Opa have something for friends."

There seems to be a spring in the normally heavy steps of the rotund barkeep. He brings all of you inside and leads you to the bar where he pulls out eight metal hip flasks and a small keg. He begins to fill up each of the flasks as he says, "This Opa special drink - brewed Rennee Way under new moon. When drink, feel song of Rennee in heart. Drink only before need be hero - like hero of Opa - drink wear off in one hour." He gives each of you the flask and says something in the Rennee language. Sniffing the drink, you can tell it is a very potent blend.

(8 potions of heroism: This spell imbues a single creature with great bravery and morale in battle. The target gains a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks for one hour).

Opa then rouses Gregor and speaks to him in the gypsie tongue. Opa points over to the group several times as he does so. When done, Opa shakes Gregor's hand and goes to talk to Rosie and the others - telling your tale to them all (whether they want to hear it or not).

When approached, Gregor smiles and says, "Appears Gregor in debt of Katzen. Opa Gregor's father-in-law and never like Gregor. Now, Gregor and Opa friends. Plus, rats would take cheese from mice. Now rats stay away." He smiles thinking about the business prospects of being the only gang on at the docks. "Now, how can this maus help Katzen?" Gregor says as he gets down to business.

ooc: He will have whatever you wish to buy, so give me the total to subtract from the party fund.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As we walk back inside I walk over to Gregor's table and with Jaxal's help I purchace 10 Silver Arrows for 1 noble 5 silver and 10 Cold Iron Arrows for 1 noble of my own funds. We also purchase a silver morning star with 98 nobles recieved from Mellavin.

After the purchasing and selling is done I walk back out and board the ship.

Nathan you may want to get your horse before we leave, less as the Captain mentioned it gets eaten. Jaxal was able to sell the loot plus we got these 8 potions. Unless anyone has objections I say we split the take evenly. Looks like we took in 45 nobles and 14 shields so unless my calculations are incorrect we each get 6 Nobles and a potion, well one of us will get 5 Nobles and 10 Shields. What should we do with the extra 4 shields?

OOC I will take the 5 gold and 10 silver so everyone else can add just gold to their character sheet and I am ready to fast forward
    Latem Yvaeh

10. - Top - End - #160

PirateCaptain

The Wavemistress

After buying and trading the items and getting what rest they can in their room, the party says goodbye to Opa, Rosie, and Gregor after a hearty breakfast of warm oatmeal, sweetbread, and mulled cider. Each recalls their part in the warehouse as they feel the bulge of the metal flask in their pocket or pouch. Daven will be missed, but he took his brush with death to be a sign from the gods that this is not the business he should be involved with at this time.

The Wavemistress is a beautiful craft. Bartholomew and his crew are ready to cast off, as the gang-plank is raised after the last of the eight get on board. The horses are tied to belaying pins that can easily be slipped out of their moorings if need be - allowing for the horses to be released from their places quickly. Ironically, these pegs would also make for excellent clubs in a pinch.

The quarters are tight, but there are enough hammocks for all. There also are two footlocker chests that belongings can be stowed into if desired. The gentle sway of the ship will hopefully lull you to sleep. However, right now the bustle of casting off draws everyone out onto the deck. Once the mooring lines are aboard and the anchor raised, the current can take hold of the ship, and slowly the Mistress begins its trek downriver. The chilly wind bites your faces, but you don't mind as the sails catch the wind and begin pulling the large craft towards Big Rapids at a faster clip.

Bartholomew continues to give orders, and the other crewmen scamper about - pulling on this line and that. It is clear that you are in capable hands. The sunrise is beautiful, and your heart soars. Time passes quickly and soon you feel the pangs of hunger. One thing of note, no other craft has passed either way up or down this river.

Bartholomew ushers you into his cabin. It appears to be the largest room other than the hold. That is not saying much, however, for it is cramped when all nine of you are inside. Bartholomew says, "Sit yourselves down; Baxter'll be in 'ere wit' yer sup."

After you sit down, one of the men who loaded the food aboard enters with a tray of bowls and spoons and two loaves of bread with a tub of butter with two large serated knives. He sets these down and exits. He returns with a steaming pot that he is holding onto using towels. He sets that down at the end of the table. Grabbing the first bowl, he ladles out two heaping scoops of lentil stew, puts in a spoon, and passes it down. He continues until everyone has some. "Bread be thar," he gestures, "An' dinnae worry, these be from our larder, nay yers. Save some o' the stew fer us, if ye will."

The meal is good and filling. Just as you are finishing, Baxter comes back to clean up. He loads the tray with the wooden bowls and spoons and leaves to wash them. After you are done, the day grows colder and the purple twilight is evident. One of the crew remains on deck at the aftcastle where the steering wheel is kept. The rest have finished taking down the sails save for a sole staysail that is attached to the foremast and the spanker in the aft of the ship. Satisfied, Bartholomew leaves the deck and enters into his cabin with the three others to eat. Baxter has obviously brought a meal out to the pilot, since he has tied off the wheel and is eating a bowl of the stew.

Night is fast approaching, and it appears to be time to start thinking about sleep. The thought of watches creeps in the back of your mind, since this cargo has been set upon before you even left Womtham.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Shep (and Best)

Shep takes his flask and sniffs it - then lets Best sniff it. "Thank you, Opa. I shall treasure this. We halflings are known for our taste in food in drink, and I can tell this is a good batch."

When it is time to board, Shep doesn't go inside until it is time to eat. Instead, he takes in all the sights. His endure elements spell protects both he and Best from any of the cold. He eats heartily and shares his bowl with his dog who does the same. When all are seated, Shep says, "No offense, but I plan on sleeping outdoors with Best. I like to look up at the stars at night, and frankly I don't feel comfortable indoors. I will be happy to do my share of the watch...or at least Best'll be doing most of the watch. I am a bit worried to think that some of those wererats may have stowed on board. Best and me will go below decks and check out the hold for any unusually large rats."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Once we set sail I untie all the peace knots on my weapons. I enjoy the meal with the captain. Once the evening sky starts to darken and the ship begins to batten down for the night I speak up.
    With the eight of us we should probably split into watches of 2 I will gladly take the mid watch if some one wishes to join me who ever takes the first watch wake me when it is my turn. Hey, Shep let me join you in checking the holds.

Spoiler
    Show

Gonna take 20 and search the hold throughly with Shep before settling down in a hammock for the night I keep my armor on and hang my backpack and weapons with in easy reach.
    Latem Yvaeh

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Mellavin

earlier to Jomei: "you keep those 4 shields for now, buy something nice for the group later."

He thoroughly thanks Opa, Gregor and Rosie for the nice place to stay and the good food and the drinks, and carefully puts away the flask. He replaces his regular morningstar, which he puts at the bottom of his bag, with the new silver one.

On the boat, he obviously enjoys the view and the ride in general. He talks about it with anyone who wants to join in, without pushing too hard or holding up the work of the crewman. After the meal: "Maybe I should take a watch in the death of night, with me seeing in the dark and that."

14. - Top - End - #164

PirateCaptain

Readying 21, sunset on the Wavemistress

Jomei, Shep and Best climb down the stairs into the hold. Shep takes a hooded lantern off of one of the hooks and sees that inside is a continual light wick. This makes sense, as it would not be good to have a fire on board a vessel made of wood. The three begin their exploration of the large bilge and crate stowage.

The walls are sealed with tar and pitch to keep out the water that would undoubtedly seep in. Some has of course, but there is not enough to worry about, for it only sloshes under the floor boards. The extra weight adds ballast to keep the vessel righted in high winds and rough seas. The floor keep the cargo dry, so there is no worry of rotting or spoiling of the dried food.

All cargo is accounted for and remains sealed in the crates. Shep and Jomei let Best sniff around, and the dog finds that they are not alone, but it is simply the garden variety of stow-aways...rats. Not enough to warrant a swarm, but enough to be noticed. No rat is larger than a typical rodent, so it seems that Shep's caution was good, but unwarranted.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

15. - Top - End - #165

PirateCaptain

Readying 22, aboard the Wavemistress

Watches were discussed and set, and it appears as though the crew has one member awake to pilot the ship during the night. The night passes uneventfully, and the cramped quarters provide for an interesting night. However, enough rest is gained by all to feel refreshed. All are awake when the Bartholomew ushers you into his quarters for breakfast.

Baxter brings a similar cookpot of a gravy made from animal fat, tack biscuits that have been heated, and soft boiled eggs. Everyone gets their share, and Baxter leaves with the pot and pan. When the group is done, Baxter collects the dishes and when the party exits, they see the men are eating their meal outside. They resume toiling at climbing the rigging and getting the sails to full tack.

One of the men stays in the railed platform atop the masthead in the crow's nest. That position rotates, and at around noon the sailor on duty calls down and says, "Smoke ahead - Portside." He points in the direction you are heading on the left bank.

Bartholomew gives orders to lower the sails and weigh anchor. He turns to the group, "Thar be smoke comin' from th' direction o' Big Rapids. Tha' cannae be good. I needs ye to take yon longboat an' see wha' be 'appenin'"

A large boat that will hold all of you (and a small crate or two as well - but no horses) is uncovered and is hoisted up on blocks and tackles and swung to the side using a crane-like contraption.
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-03-18 at 11:11 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jomei look around the group once the captain walks off he whispers
    I am sure that our Captain is honest but lets not push temptation. While I agree we need to investigate I think we need to leave some people here to help guard the supplies. I would suggest a healer and a fighter remain here with the boat at the bare minimum. he looks over to our knights. I will leave it to you as to what you think our best tactics would be. I am a scout so I can stay and guard the boat or I can go with the group in the longboat which ever you deem is best. he pauses in thought for a moment Or you can drop me a shore and I can work my way up river on land to scout the location and come back and report. Again what ever you think the best way to handle this.
    Last edited by LatemYvaeh; 2008-03-18 at 05:24 PM.
    Latem Yvaeh

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Zaefner

"I agree...as much as I would like to trust the captain, it would be awfully easy for him to just sail away. Given the choice, I would rather get my feet on dry land than stay on this boat any longer."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizardess has remained silent through the entire trip, only opening her mouth to give thanks or introduce herself. Otherwise, she withdrew herself to read and study. However, upon hearing about the smoke, she steps outside with her diminutive companion. She pulls the bird close to her and whispers some words, before she walks over to the rest of the group to hear their plan.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Mellavin

"These nice lads won't trick us, would they? But your plan sound excellent to me, Jomei."
    Spoiler
    Show
    does anyone have a decent sense motive? I was already planning to prepare a detect evil, but today it just feels too much like cheating...

20. - Top - End - #170

PirateCaptain

Good Intentions

No one in the party gets any sense of malevolence from Bartholomew or the crew. Mellavin considers calling upon the divine insight his goddess would allow him to see into the hearts of the men to identify if they are evil.

Thinking through this situation logically, one can understand why this information is so important. Captain Largent had mentioned that this mission was secretive and had selected naval officers he could trust. The main reason why it was vital is because the food was for the men under command of nephew of the Duke. Failing to do this would be disastrous for Largent and anyone involved. Finally, although it may not be a time of war across the continent, the humanoids continue to raid in this region, and this is a crucial point of defense for the Kingdom; it is the end of the Duntide River waterway that acts as a supply line to the front lines since religious tensions with an aggressor nation still loom in the north, and a tyrant broods in the east, while an army of monstrous marauders builds in strength. If Big Rapids were to fall, it would be devastating to the Kingdom of Nyrond and the forces in this area.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jaxal---

((ooc: Stupid post not appearing! I wrote 4 paragraphs last night and they just didn't show.))

Quietly to the group only:
    "I think that leaving someone behind wouldn't be a great idea. We don't know what to expect battle wise. If we leave our healer what will we do if we need to fix someone up? As for not trusting the Captain I woul think that if he was to sail back by the town without stopping he wouldn't complete his trip to get away. Besides is a it of grain worth being a criminal to him? Probably not."

Jax lifts up his sleeve and the sleep eyes of Toby the cat peer out.
    "As for watching the ship I agree that something may happen whilst we are gone so Toby can keep an eye out for a bit. I suggest we talk with the Captain and find out what he will do in case of a raid."

Jaxal gets a bit of a glint in his eyes:
    "We are here to protect the ship and cargo, anything else is outside of our responsibility to our contract and open to negotiation. I do however think we absolutely need to investigate this situation. It could be dire for us, the ship and possibly the kingdom."

Jax looks aroud and when he spots the Captain:
    "Captain! A few question before we go. What can we expect at the rapids? Is the a town, village or any structures? Who is normally in charge there? Who might be likely to attack the place?"

((ooc: I assume we are going down river so we will be heading into the top of the rapids area.))

"Jomei, I think it a fine idea to scout out on land as well but maybe we should wait until we get closer to the landing so the group doesn't get split up."

After everything is settled Jax places his cat on the deck and goes below to get all of his gear.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Shep

"I can understand your concern, but I trust these men. What I don't like is a wild fire spreading. I say we get going quickly while we can still make a difference."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Zaefner

"If you're willing to take that chance, its no skin off my back; I already have my writ."

Zaefner peers off towards the smoke.

"So how are we going to go about this? While I'm all for coming to the aid of a town in distress, I'd rather not walk into an occupied city...if you're willing to scout things out Jomei, I agree that may be the best plan."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jomei looks around and listens to all his new companions ideas and suggestions
    OK looks like we are going to trust the captain and his crew. So first we should borrow a map or a chart of the river. Then what I think would be best is for us to travel by boat toward the Big Rapids. When we get as close as we can with out the risk of being seen we will land and I will scout further ahead to see what is going on. I will then come back and report to you all. We can make further plans to deal with what I find.
    Jomei looks up at Jaxal I had heard that spell casters could communicate with their pets over vast distances. So thank you for leaving your friend here. If this is a trap to lure us away and leave it defenseless we will know as soon as possible so we can turn back to rescue the ship and your friend.

(ooc)
    Pause for anyone else's suggestions and modifications to the plans

If a map is available Jomei looks over it with everyone else to familiarize himself as much as possible with the region ahead of them. He then grabs his gear and boards the boat. Once everyone is aboard he helps row and guide the boat to best landing spot they were able to locate with the map and captains help that was not with in site of big rapids. I then use my stealth and survival skills to get with in viewing distance of big rapids with out being spotted if at all possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Geography (1d20+6)[15] For looking over the map
    Survival Check (1d20+9)[10] for getting to the selected landing spot
    Survival Check (1d20+9)[18] for getting from the landing spot to a veiwing spot of the big rapids and the smoking area
    Move Silent Check (1d20+7)[24]
    Hide Check (1d20+7)[8]
    Spot Check (1d20+4)[21]
    Last edited by LatemYvaeh; 2008-03-19 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Missed part of Jaxal's post about leaving Toby at the ship
    Latem Yvaeh

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Mellavin

Mellavin gets his pack and checks his gear. He somehow seems to be looking forward to this, because he's smiling. "I'm ready to offer my help to the people of Big Rapids."
    Last edited by Bender; 2008-03-21 at 02:30 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyme View Post
    ---Jaxal---
    Jax looks aroud and when he spots the Captain:
    "Captain! A few question before we go. What can we expect at the rapids? Is the a town, village or any structures? Who is normally in charge there? Who might be likely to attack the place?"
    Bartholomew replies to the inquiry, "Big Rapids be th' end o' th' line for boats on th' Duntide. Ye see as th' river enters the Flinty 'Ills, th' rocks form all sorts o' rapids which be th' namesake o' th' small town which be more o' a fort than anything else. These rapids stop all boats - ev'n small craft like longboats. It acts as the border of Womtham.

The fort an' soldiers within are commanded by Sir Laurel Boomgren. 'E be a cheery sot who dreams o' joust in a tourney in Rel Mord someday. 'Owever, th' men like 'im, for 'e be a cleric of Heironeous as well as a knight. Plus, 'e and his soldiers rarely patrol more than a few miles from the fort - so they be guaranteed to nay find much resistance an' be more likely tae make it 'ome tae thar families when their tour be over."

Bartholomew doesn't hide his opinions well, for it seems evident that he doesn't think that Sir Laurel is full up on bravery. Besides the typical navy/army rivalry, it seems evident that Bartholomew was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth and had to work up to his position. Sir Laurel, being a nephew of the Duke, most likely has rose to his position not by merit, but by blood.

"As for attackin' Big Rapids, me guess would be orcs."

ooc:
    The Duntide is pretty straight forward - it is a wide and slightly meandering river. The current is enough to take the longboat back to Wavemistress and Womtham, if necessary; it won't take much experiential knowledge to row upstream to the fort (using the sail, however, would). The 'town' itself is simply a walled fortress where the people live inside. There are certainly farmers, fishermen and the like with homes outside the structure, but many of the layworkers could find refuge within the fort in a time of crisis. Bartholomew estimates that a garrison of 100 men are at Big Rapids.

He also indicates that there is a chain blockade that spans the river and is manned by a central tower. This will allow ships to pass through to the fort and down river to the rest of Womtham.
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-03-20 at 08:45 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jaxal---

"Thank you kindly Captain. I'm sorry my mind must be slipping a bit. It be the cold."

To the group looking a Jomei:
    "Yes I am somewhat able to comunnicate with my friend Toby here however the distance is not as great as you seem to think. I am not some all powerful wizard I am merely a humble mystic with a few small tricks."

"As for scouting I think that is a good idea and I volunteer to accompany you at least part way. I have no woodslore but I can be fairly quiet when needed. Just don't ask me to row that boat, labor is not where my talents lay."

Jaxal suddenly looks at a spot about 6" above Jomei's head and starts mumbling to himself. Jax's eyes grow wide and he seems both slightly upset and releived over whatever he saw.

If you listen closely to what he whispers you hear:
    "The portents are not good enough to say such about that. No, I think that what you say and show standing in our path is not so easily overcome. Fear is both our ally and our nemesis. Battle is our brother and he be both unforgiving and welcome."
    It's almost as if he can't see the rest of the group as Jax speaks both to himself and someone unseen.

((ooc: I'll take all my gear with me.))
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-03-20 at 01:43 PM.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Shep and Best

Shep replies to Jomei's comment, "I can communicate with Best or other animals through a spell. Best can also understand certain commands." Shep then looks over at Kirke, "If you send your bird overhead as we travel by boat, it would save us some valuable time and allow us to scout that way."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Mellavin

"Ehlonna grants me the gift to speak with animals as well. So let us not waste any more time, those poor folks might need us urgently."
    Mellavin starts to descend to the longboat, uncertain on his legs, but with a persistent look in his eyes.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Kirke listens intently to the plan the others make, and when she is requested to send her friend ahead, a barely noticeable frown appears on her face. She turns her head to look at the bird, and after a few moments of wordless communication, she pulls the ball of sparkling feathers closer and whispers a few words, before she sends out the hummingbird to scout. In seconds the small bird becomes almost impossible to spot as her quick, small frame dives forward towards the smoke. Kirke stares after her for a few moment, before she too climbs down into one of the boats.