Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Shards of Siberys - An Eberron webcomic

Quote Originally Posted by Hacktor View Post

Esteemed readers,
    Loyal fans,
    Play-grounders,

Friends.

It is with great sadness yet great joy that I bring this announcement to you today. This particular bit of news is two-fold...

First it pains me to tell you that shards of syberis in it's current form is no more. The comic's had it's last breath and although a lot more strips were planned out they shall not be drawn.

Second as one life ends another shall start. It will not be on the Giantitp forums, it will not have stick-figure art, no Eberron rules nor D&D. It will not have dice but it will have an epic storyline.

May Tenshiro and I present to you...
    -snip-

This is an invitation to all our friends here on the Giantitp Forums to help us as folows.
    The comic will not be hosted on a web site, instead the comic (at first) will be sent by e-mail to our "subscribers" (it's free and always will be, don't worry) until we deem it worthy of a web-site.

So what do you say?... would you like to see some familiar faces in a brand new world? do you love the way Tenshiro spins Lore like a master... then all you have to do is PM me [or post below] and let me know.

Good night friends, but sleep lightly. because horrors loom around the corners

-Snip-

Shards is dead.
    Long live Shardz.

Cool idea, I fully support this kind of innovative experimentalism in this young industry.

One day webcomics will be bigger than Television, a world-spanning industry with no big names where everybody helps everybody!

In other words, I'd like to subscribe and help any way I can
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-08-19 at 03:18 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Shards of Siberys - An Eberron webcomic

I'll go ahead and subscribe.
    Nageto004: your residential paranormal exterminator.

I can make you an avi.

IA AWARDS
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Im a True Neutral Human Wizard (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 10
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 13
    Charisma- 10

Quote Originally Posted by Deca View Post
    Wow...Epic Ninjaing. Thanks Nageto! And by ninja'ing, I mean me failing a Spot check and somehow not seeing a post that had been there for quarter of an hour.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Awesome :D.
    I actually thought this would get negative feedback (as things that deviate from the norm usually do)

let me say I'm happy to have you aboard.

4. - Top - End - #544

Awesome! I'll subscribe!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Firbolg in the Playground

Awesome :D.
    I actually thought this would get negative feedback (as things that deviate from the norm usually do)

let me say I'm happy to have you aboard.
    When does it start?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

6. - Top - End - #546

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    When does it start?
    This is a tricky one. Tenshiro and I have planned the first strip for 20-august-2010... as this is today it seems we'll be a little late.

We are trying to navigate away from simple OOTS art but we did streamline the creation process.

I wouldn't expect it tomorrow, but i will expect it at most 1-2 weeks for now (this also gives people time to "subscribe")

Also peer presure factors in ... with each subscriber we will be hard pressed to release it faster :D

7. - Top - End - #547

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Cool idea, I fully support ... snip ... help any way I can
    I am a big fan of free (even more of open source) material. Software, webcomics, movies etc... it proves that, as a species, we can do selfless things for nothing more than the praise of others.

8. - Top - End - #548

Kobold

Sign me up !
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

I would like to request a sign-up; will you be sending it directly to my e-mail address, or via PMs? If it's the former, I may have to start looking at my e-mails more often, hahaha.
    At dusk, I will think of you...

10. - Top - End - #550

SamuraiGirl

I will be sending it to the E-mail adress... at first (for some time)

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

I don't mean to accuse anybody of anything or spread distrust or anything like that, but am I the only one who is reluctant to give out his E-mail adress to somebody who is essentially a complete stranger on the internet?

Either way, I'm afraid that I must decline. I liked the Shards, but not really enough that I can't wait for the next comic from the same people to come out on a website and risk giving out my E-mail adress like this. And because I am starting to think something is broken and I am incapable of receiving E-mails anyway.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-08-20 at 11:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #552
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Le Gasp! `Shardz` leak before Alpha released

... and now I feel like I`m the test dummy in the new car prototype that`s accelerating towards a very solid looking wall.

The new plot is proving to be more bothersome than I`d like it mainly because I have to recreate some of the Eberron and general D&D rules and `core settings` but in a new way. For years people thought Looking for Group was a purely WoW comic and I really do hold myself in a higher esteem than to have people confusing my settings with something else.
    The main issues I am having right now is creating a new style of what in Eberron is `the Warforged` and then managing to be able to put it into text so that Hackz can understand what I`m trying to say; constructs aside, I once again find myself in the position where I have to create a new style of magic from literally nothing and then give it a logic and a mechanic in order to make it repeatable...

... and that`s on my end. I`m not gonna say anything more about Hackz trying to find a new art style except that Hackz is trying to find a new art style...

Also, pissed off with Hackz for posting THAT logo since there is so much more I want to do with the Shardz layout before it`s even close to finished.

Hackz, I will smack you over the head with a witch`s broom! And it will be hard! Just you wait until I get my hands on one of those brooms.

This is all I have to say for now. I will return with an Official ``Shardz - Now Alpha Testing`` post the moment I do believe we`re ready for it. Until then, carry on and good luck.
    Last edited by Tenshiro; 2010-08-20 at 11:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #553

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    I don't mean to accuse anybody of anything or spread distrust or anything like that, but am I the only one who is reluctant to give out his E-mail address to somebody who is essentially a complete stranger on the internet?

Either way, I'm afraid that I must decline. I liked the Shards, but not really enough that I can't wait for the next comic from the same people to come out on a website and risk giving out my E-mail adress like this. And because I am starting to think something is broken and I am incapable of receiving E-mails anyway.
    Wow you just don't quit do you?

Dude... I've been on these forums since 2005 I've posted shards here ever since and I'm not going to get rich off of (count them) 10-12 e-mail accounts... you've got some paranoia problems buddy.

Did it not at even one time occur to you that people can create new e-mail accounts and send them.. it's like going to a web-site to read the comic... only it's your other e-mail address...

I don't know what prompted you to take a personal vendetta against me or Tenshiro but I had hoped we would not hear from you ever...

Quin... I respect you as a human being, I hope you have only fulfillment in your life from now on but i fear your actions have made me quite cold towards you.

If you do not wish to participate, i respect your choice.. That being said, have a wonderful life and may we never cross paths again.

14. - Top - End - #554

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Le Gasp! `Shardz` leak before Alpha released

Quote Originally Posted by Tenshiro View Post
    ... and now I feel like I`... snip ...I do believe we`re ready for it. Until then, carry on and good luck.
    What can I do? I'm a sucker for attention
    Also ..the people deserve to know :))
    Last edited by Hacktor; 2010-08-20 at 02:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

If I may ask, what is the purpose from distributing the comic only to those you give you their email address? While seemingly innovative, to me it seems to serve no useful purpose, and will rather prevent you from reaching a larger audience. People who would like to see your webcomic easily won't be able to, because there will not be a publicly available archive that would allow them to decide either to follow the comic or not.

Even if you created a thread in which you publicised this "Shardz", I believe a lot of people who haven't previously seen Shards of Siberys and liked it won't even bother to send their email address. If you, however, decided to host this webcomic here before making your own website, it would allow a significant number of people to view it easily without going threw a system which is, frankly speaking, self-defeating and archaic.

I do not mean to insult, demean, nor belittle both this webcomic and its creators.

16. - Top - End - #556

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    If I may ask, what is the purpose from distributing the comic only to those you give you their email address? While seemingly innovative, to me it seems to serve no useful purpose, and will rather prevent you from reaching a larger audience. People who would like to see your webcomic easily won't be able to, because there will not be a publicly available archive that would allow them to decide either to follow the comic or not.

Even if you created a thread in which you publicised this "Shardz", I believe a lot of people who haven't previously seen Shards of Siberys and liked it won't even bother to send their email address. If you, however, decided to host this webcomic here before making your own website, it would allow a significant number of people to view it easily without going threw a system which is, frankly speaking, self-defeating and archaic.

I do not mean to insult, demean, nor belittle both this webcomic and its creators.
    It is a way to test the comic versus former readers. To see what their reactions to it will be. If they are negative ? No need to publish it, or tweak it out according to the feedback. If it is positive ? They might post it somewhere, and also have a buffer of comics ready on hand for those times updates are hectic.

At least that is my theory...

17. - Top - End - #557

This is an invitation to all our friends here on the Giantitp Forums to help us as folows.
    The comic will not be hosted on a web site, instead the comic (at first) will be sent by e-mail to our "subscribers" (it's free and always will be, don't worry) until we deem it worthy of a web-site.
    That's what.
    Last edited by memnarch; 2010-08-20 at 04:27 PM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't mean to accuse anybody of anything or spread distrust or anything like that, but am I the only one who is reluctant to give out his E-mail adress to somebody who is essentially a complete stranger on the internet?

1. Well if you don't want why post it?
    2. For that reason, I have a e-mail that is (at least now) used only for connection with people and real-life-issues and one for internet stuff like games etc.
    3. You give your address out every time you register somewhere and every time you enter it, because in-between your PC and the server, there is always a way to steal information.
    4. In the case of a hack you can always make a new one. I have, like , 5 or 6 in total.
    Last edited by Hyoumu Yau; 2010-08-20 at 04:34 PM.

Be nice, give him a hug. Look how much he want's it!

Avatar and Signature were made by me

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    That's what.
    Indeed, but wouldn't be able to attain a wider audience, which would later transfer to the independent website, by temporarily hosting it on GiantITP? This would essentially be free publicity, and plus, a larger amount of feedback would also be gathered.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

Wow you just don't quit do you?
    Quit what?

Is this because I gave Shards a less than average review on The Q's Comic Review? Because MY post has nothing to do with that, and I for one even forgot I did that.

Dude... I've been on these forums since 2005 I've posted shards here ever since and I'm not going to get rich off of (count them) 10-12 e-mail accounts... you've got some paranoia problems buddy.
    Well excuse me for showing a little bit of concern for my fellow forum-goers. For all I know you could have given up fan comicing long ago to start some advertising ring. For all I know you could have this same game on 50 other forums. For all I know you could be somebody hacked into Hacktor's account (...no name-related irony intended ) and have requested e-mails for some kind of scam. I don't know. I am not accusing you of anything. Those are just realistic possibilities.

I simply was taught by many respected adults not to give away my e-mail adress unless it's for a well-respected company with a good track record, such as Giant In The Playground.

Did it not at even one time occur to you that people can create new e-mail accounts and send them.. it's like going to a web-site to read the comic... only it's your other e-mail address...
    It did not occur to me that people may make a new E-mail account to recieve your new comic. Nor did you tell people to until now. If you did tell people to, I did not see where.

I don't know what prompted you to take a personal vendetta against me or Tenshiro but I had hoped we would not hear from you ever...

Quin... I respect you as a human being, I hope you have only fulfillment in your life from now on but i fear your actions have made me quite cold towards you.

If you do not wish to participate, i respect your choice.. That being said, have a wonderful life and may we never cross paths again.
    "Personal vendetta"?

Do you think I have some sort of burning passion to see your despair? That I wear a top hat and a long mustache that I villainously twirl as I try to turn the gullible townsfolk against you?

I don't KNOW you.

I shall bring up my concern, perhaps just so you can see how impractical this E-mail plan is (as Mad Mask has already pointed out). And that it is suspicious, and will alienate people like me who, I suppose, have a light case of paranoia.

I would like to emphasize that I have no ill will towards you.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2010-08-20 at 04:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post

Because it has no place in these forums.. it's neither stick figure(ish) n'or is it a fancomic...

22. - Top - End - #562

SamuraiGirl

Quit what?

Is this because... snip ...that I have no ill will towards you.
    Dude, you don't need to hate me. And i don't need a reason not to like you :D
    I won't lie it has something to do with Shards of Syberis but on some unconscious level.

So if that's settled I wish this subject closed.

23. - Top - End - #563

SamuraiGirl

... somebody hacked into Hacktor's account (...no name-related irony intended ) and...
    Hehe just got that :))
    Last edited by Hacktor; 2010-08-21 at 06:06 AM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Never hurt before

Now that you mention it I have a question I think you might know the answer to, Q:

What is it they should be able to do with my E-mail? The only thing I can imagine is spam and that I can just delete.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

25. - Top - End - #565

SamuraiGirl

Then again you guys may have a point... i always thought if this isn't a fancomic i can't post it here....

You people that know the rules... Admins and Wanabe admins....

Can i POST a Non-D&D Non-Eberron NON-fancomic NON-oots like fantasy webcomic on these forums?

It would make this whole e-mail thing obsolete....

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Then again you guys may have a point... i always thought if this isn't a fancomic i can't post it here....

Can i POST a Non-D&D Non-Eberron NON-fancomic NON-oots like fantasy webcomic on these forums?

I do believe that you can post a comic simply because you are a fan of OotS and don't post it anywhere else (Image hosting sites not-withstanding) and a quick rule-check confirms that.

But an admin might know that better.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

27. - Top - End - #567

Kobold

What is a Fan Comic?
    For our purposes here, we will define a fan comic as a comic strip that is non-commercial in nature and fulfills one or both of the following criteria:

* It is created in the artist’s best approximation of the signature “Order of the Stick” style—that is, it’s a stick figure comic, OR
    * It is a comic posted by a fan of the “Order of the Stick” here on our fan comic forum and not displayed on any other website. (By displayed, we mean visible at a URL, not simply hosted on a server or image-hosting service.)

In other words, it doesn’t need to be OOTS-style, but if it isn’t, it can’t be your regular webcomic that you are just promoting here by mirroring your updates. This isn’t a webcomic hosting site. If you are serious enough about your webcomic to give it its own website, it’s not a fan comic anymore. You should leave the updates/images on your own site and start a discussion thread in the Webcomics forum instead. If it’s an OOTS-style comic, we waive that requirement because any comic using the OOTS style is obviously a fan comic, and is welcome to post here.

As far as non-commercial, we ask that any fan comic posted here also refrain from selling merchandise or accepting donations for their work for as long as you are getting the essentially free advertising of having your updates posted on this forum. If you feel like you have a sufficient readership of your own to warrant such moves, we ask that you stop using the fan comic forum to promote it. Again, you are encouraged to start a thread about it on the Webcomics forum, but please don’t post each update anymore.
    Here you go !

28. - Top - End - #568
    Orc in the Playground

How does one subscribe? 0.o
    My life for Nerzhul!

Join the Cult of the Damned, we have free donuts on fridays! -Bago!!!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

Could use some helpful critique for my avatar that I made. Please?

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bago!!! View Post
    How does one subscribe? 0.o
    The method was supposed to be by E-mail but there is currently work going on that might make it pointless to do so.

So we wait and see
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #570

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    The method was supposed to be by E-mail but there is currently work going on that might make it pointless to do so.

So we wait and see
    Wow ... ya... you guys are right :D... i feel so relieved we won't have to go through the whole e-mail thing...

Nice ... :D expect strip 1 soon-ish (12-24 hours if i have my way )