New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

I've been doing some foundational work for what I am currently calling "The 4th Brother" to the three environmental books Sandstorm, Frostburn, and Stormwrack. It would be based on the swamps, and would contain pretty much everything the books did, but of course on a smaller scale, I am talking spells, feats, classes, monsters, rules for the environments, the works. This is rather large, and I am really busy these days, but I will work on it a little at a time, and eventually I will have everything I planned on in it.

Evidently, people are interested, so I will begin to post my stuff, starting right now with the Environment of the Swamp. This is just the beginning of what is to come.

Environmental Effects
    Spoiler
    Show

Sulphur Gas- Many an adventurer has made an intrepid trip into the bogs or swamps of the world unprepared, and has tasted defeat at the hands of a simple gas, Sulphur Gas. Although it simply smells bad in small intervals, it smells sickeningly terrible when in large quantities. A character in Sulphur gas must make Constitution saves every 10 rounds or be Nauseated. The DC for those checks is 10+the number of saves succeeded so far.

Mucky Ground- Most swamps have ground that is half water and half dirt, resulting in a sticky, sloshy ground that is difficult to move in. As a result, characters traveling in Mucky Ground must move at half speed and make DC 10 Balance checks every 60 Ft. If a character fails that check, they fall prone and get mucky. Alternatively, a Character may attempt to move at standard speed through the ground, but must make a DC 15 check every 60 ft. A Character that is Running or Charging through Murky ground must make DC 20 Balance checks every 30 ft, making it nigh-impossible to move quickly on the Mucky Ground

Limited Visibility- As a result of the various gasses present in the swamp, as well as the humid air, it is extremely difficult to see in some areas. In areas of Limited Visibility, all sight types are limited to 20 ft, with illumination showing as bright lights up to 60 ft. away. In addition, Spot and Search checks take a -2 Penalty within the area's of the character's sight.

Flammable Gasses- Some gasses, like Methane (Fire-Gas) are produced in Swamps. In areas with Methane or other Flammable gasses, having a fire lit is a bad idea. When a fire is taken within 10 ft. of an area with Flammable Gasses, the flame starts to flicker, which requires a DC 10 Spot check to notice. Uncovered Fires, even those produced by magic, like the spell Fireball, but not Continual Flame, run a 100% chance of lighting the Methane, which causes a minor explosion, dealing 2d6 Fire damage to everything in the area where the Methane was. Covered Sources, like Lanterns, run a 25% chance of lighting the Methane every round spent in the area.

Acid Bog:
    Acid bog has a faint green hue, making it difficult to notice except in good light. Spotting an acid bog bog before entering it requires a DC 20 Survival
    check. If the moving creature succeeds on a DC 10 Survival check but not a DC 20 check, he notices that the square is with bog but does not identify it as acid bog.

Acid bog deals 1d6 points of acid damage per round of exposure, or 6d6 points of acid damage with total immersion. Most acid slush is about 1 foot in depth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into a square with acid bog, and the DC of Balance and Tumble checks in such a square increase by 2. Acid bog imposes a –4 penalty on Move Silently checks.

It's likely that this would expose the person to disease as the acid burns through the skin pathogens enter unfettered.-Soxa

Haunted Wetlands - The foliage surrounding the swamp looks strangely hostile. Haunted wetlands feed on the fear of trespassers. Non-native creatures must make a Will save each round they are in the swamp (DC 5 + 1 per previous save). A failed save causes the entire swamp to be affected by an entangle spell, but only against that creature. All fey native to the swamp become aware when a creature fails its save, and they generally take the opportunity to attack.

The caster level of the spell is equal to 20 - the number of additional saves it took to fail. If the creature makes 21 saves in a row or fails a save, he can not be affected again for 24 hours. These are all fear effects.-flyingpoo22

Black Lagoon - The air is thick with fog and fumes, draining physical strength, making it hard to think straight, and causing breathing to be strained. Creatures in a black lagoon must make a Fortitude save every minute (DC 10 + 1 per previous save) or suffer 1 point of damage to all ability scores. In addition, save DCs made to avoid suffocation increase by +2 per previous save instead of +1. Most swamp creatures are immune to the effects of a black lagoon.-flyingpoo22

Feats
    Spoiler
    Show

Noxious Spell [Metamagic]

Requirements: You must have spent at least one week in a Swamp, Fort Save +3,

Benefit: You can make your Evocation spells that require saves exceptionally smelly, imbibing them with the spirit of the Swamp. All Creatures that fail their save on the spell must make another save, this time Fortitude, at DC Caster Level+5 or be Nauseated for the number of rounds they failed their save. A Smelly Spell uses up a spell slot 1 higher then the normal spell.

Steady Stomach

Requirements: Great Fortitude

Benefit: You receive a +1 on all Fortitude Saves, as well as a +5 on Saves vs. Nauseation

Swampy Stomach

Requirements: 13 Constitution, Steady Stomach

Benefit: Your Bonus on Fortitude Saves from Steady Stomach increases to +3, and you gain immunity to Nauseation.

Swamp Traveler

Requirements: 13 Dexterity, 5 or more Ranks in Balance

Benefit: When traveling on Mucky Ground, you can move at Half-Speed without making Balance Checks, move at Full Speed by making DC 5 Balance checks every 60 ft., and you may Run or Charge by making DC 10 Balance Checks every 60 ft.

Normal: You must make Balance checks at more difficult DC's when traveling in Murky Ground (See above)

Swamp Eyes

Requirements: 15 Wisdom, 8 or more Ranks in Spot

Benefit: When in a Swamp, you can see out to 60 ft. clearly, and you can see Lights out to 120 ft. You can also distinguish Will-'o-wisps from normal light sources, and automatically notice the flickering fire when near Methane or other Flammable gasses.

Swamp-Fighting Feats by Caracol

Monsters

Items

Spoiler
    Show

Lantern Cover
    Cost: 5GP
    Craft: 15
    This round sheet of guass can be placed over the flame of any lantern. The lamp or lantern works normally however when exposed to flammable gas the flame will be subsumed by the guass. Causing the lamp to flicker (making the presence of gas immediately obvious) without causing an explosion.-Bisected8

Alchemical Cloth
    Cost: 5sp
    Craft: 5
    This sheet of cloth may be wrapped around the face to act as a mask. When dampened the wearer may ignore the effects of sulfur gas for one hour as long as the cloth remains damp.-Bisected8

Swamp population have learned to use the sturdy platens of Eurypterids exoskeletron to make armors. A Eurypterid Armor is an exotic light armor made with the plates. It offers a good protection and is lighter than a normal armor.
    An Eurypterid Armor suit can be crafted using at least 6 Small, 3 MEdium or 1 Large Eurypterid's bodies, not heavy damaged. You have to make a Craft (armor) check with a DC of 25 and spend 15 gold pieces of additional material components.

Eurypterid Armor (exotic light armor)
    Cost: 150 gp
    Armor Bonus: +4
    Maximum Dex Bonus: +4
    Armor Check Penality: -1
    Arcane Spell Failure: 15%
    Speed: 30 ft (M), 20 ft (S)
    Weight: 20 lb-Caracol

Disinfectant Cream: This bottle of thick, odorous cream can be smeared in a light layer over a single medium creature's body. This process takes 3 minutes, and the disinfectant lasts for one hour. If submerged in water, the remaining time is cut in half. While smeared with Disinfectant Cream, the creature gains +3 on Fortitude saves vs. diseases contracted through injury, contact, or exposure.-Icewalker

Stamina Powder: This small capsule of powder can be ingested to affect one medium size creature. For one hour afterwards, the consumer of the powder gains a +3 bonus on Fortitude saves vs. diseases contracted through ingesting and inhaling.-Icewalker

For both Disinfectant Cream and Stamina Powder, it takes a 3x normal dose to cover a large creature. Not positive about other sizes, actually.

Disease Kit: This first aid box contains all that is needed to treat diseases. It has 3 bottles of Disinfectant Cream, 3 Stamina Powder capsules, and various herbal remedies, pure water, and bandages. Use of this kit allows a +2 circumstance bonus on Heal checks made to combat disease.-Icewalker

Cleanser

A single flask of this bright liquid is capable of clearing up to 30 liters of dark or torbid water, making it so limpid to make possible seeing ithrough it. Any bonus to Hide checks of creature or penality to Spot checks due to the dark water are to be considered no more. The water is just cleared, not purified: if it's not potable or infected remains in this state.
    Cost: 120 gp. DC to Craft: 20.-Caracol

Drysalt

This crystaline substance is one of the most water-drying salts existing. A single flask is capable to absorb up to 10 liters of water. Every living creature in contanct to it must make a Fort Save DC 12 for every round of exposition or be dehydrated. Any plant exposed to it must make a Fort Save DC 15 or lose an HD for every round exposed. It takes a single flask to a Medium or smaller creature, 2 for a Large, 4 for a Huge creature, and so on.
    Cost: 200 gp. DC to Craft: 25.-Caracol

Hive Bracers-Goats_o_Mjolnir

Weapons
    -Caracol
    Compressed Swamp Gas-Shades of Gray
    The Fungal Tome-Artifact-Caracol
    Equipment of the Bog, Marshwood, Immune Supressing-rtg0922

Magic Weapon Abilities

Spoiler
    Show

Races
    Spoiler
    Show

Merkolth-Nonanonymous
    Races of the Bog-rtg0922
    Frogfolk
    -rtg0922
    Stenthos-Kellus

Diseases
    Spoiler
    Show

Bog Rot: This usually appears on the feet, when travelers do not thoroughly dry off for long periods of time after initial exposure to the fetid waters of the swamp.

It reduces a creatures speed by 10 feet on every failed save. Once a creature's speed reaches 0 it begins doing 1d8 Con damage as the rot becomes gangrenous and septic. It takes 3 successful saves to shake off Bog Rot

Infection: Exposure
    Incubation: 2d4 days
    Save DC: 18
    Damage: Special

The Flux: Spread through fouled water. This disease prevents the body from retaining water. Characters immediately begin to suffer from dehydration no matter how much water they drink. They can only recover from the dehydration once they completely shake the disease off.

Infection: Ingestion
    Incubation: 1d4 days
    Save DC: 17
    Damage: 1d8 Str + 1d4 Con + Special

Lung Spore (aka Witch's Breath): Caused by fungal spores that enter the lungs, this fearsome disease rots a creature out from it's core until only a gruesome fungal bloom remains, churning out more toxic spores. Whenever a creature takes 4 or more constitution damage from the disease they immediately begin choking and can do nothing but hack and cough. A character must begin making Fort Saves DC 10+1 for each previous save. After making 3 successful saves in a row they can breath as normal again. On a natural 1 on one of these saves they begin suffocating.

Infection: Inhalation
    Incubation: 3d6 hours
    Save DC: 15
    Damage: 1d4 Con + Special

Those may need some tooling...

Special Template to apply to diseases: Resistant.
    The swamps and bogs are breeding grounds for new plagues and more fearsome versions of the old ones. With the selective pressure of healing magic, many diseases have evolved magic resistance.
    To magically cure a resistant disease a character must make a caster level check vs. 10+the diseases save DC.
    Hardier strains can have 15+the diseases save DC or more, while some of the most feared have a complete immunity to magic.
    -Diseases by Sxoa

Classes
    Spoiler
    Show

Base Classes:

Bog Substitution Levels for Barbarians, Bards, and Rogues
    -Thelogman
    Marsh Ranger-Rizban

Prestige Classes:
    Swampscale Paragon -rtg0922

Gnoll Champion
    -dyslexicfaser
    Hermit-TheLogman
    -Sxoa
    Concocter-Icewalker
    Voodoo Practitioner -rtg0922
    Swamp Traveler

Spells

Psionics
    Spoiler
    Show

Miscellaneous
    Last edited by TheLogman; 2008-04-20 at 05:41 PM.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Gauging interest for a project

Eeeenteresting.

I like it. I see a section on Lizardfolk, with 2 PrC's, and specialized weapons.

I would like to help a bit with this project.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Gauging interest for a project (Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swam

I actually wasn't planning on doing anything at all with Lizardfolk, but if you want to add some, I would appreciate it much.

However, as of right now, doesn't seem like anyone's very interested. This may go on the Backburner then.

The Legend of TheLogMan

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Gauging interest for a project (Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swam

If you do something with lizardfolk, I would be intresed in it.
    trill in da playground

5. - Top - End - #5

I love swamps I'm in. I think we need a PRC dedicated to alligators or crocodiles, they both live in swamps right? Also on the silly side perhaps we should make a race of Manatees.

Also when doing swamps you have to do Lizardfolks its in the rules.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Count me in as well, Im gunna focus on races and mjnsters, gunna post ideas later

too brainstorming!
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not that good at homebrewing, but this sounds interesting and I'm willing to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    It's not properly game breaking if you haven't already rigged the initiative results or figured out how to ensure that you act first.
    Spoiler
    Show

A group shot of the players in my campaign.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like fun, never heard of or read the books though.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

9. - Top - End - #9

My favorite bit of homebrew, K's Corpselight Whisperer, is a swamp-based druid. I wouldn't mind trying to come up with something to contribute.

Lizardfolk never really did it for me. Gnolls are also a swamp-based race... but what could you do with them that Goliaths didn't do better?
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK here are some thoughts

Playable Mushroom person race(no LA)

A frog catching/swamp boater prc

Playable Toad people race

just a littke to wet the palette, gunaa chalk them up tonight
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

What is the gist of this project? Just DnD but in the Swamp? I'm thinking of making Medusas a playable race, And make some other snakey races up.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

@^^

They already have toad people, kuo-toa.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Szilard-yeah, basically expanding DnD for marsh and swamp areas including relevent skills, feats, classes, races, PrC , monsters etc. Check out Sandstorm and the others to get a good idea
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Actually, originally, it was just seeing if anyone else was interested in my personal project, but I guess it really evolved into something else entirely.

Also, ya, just basically D&D in the Swamp.

The Legend of TheLogMan

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be interested in helping out if you do anything - I haven't done too much homebrew stuff, but that's mostly from not ever having good ideas to try to do.

I think one thing that could be used to make swamps unique from other environments are the various environmental hazards. Diseases and such could be more common, and you could come up with some new swamp-based diseases. Also, one of the big dangers with wetlands in some places (Vietnam, for instance) are the changing water levels. Perhaps there could be stats for various versions of wetlands, some with static water levels, some with changing depths that threaten to flood campsites and the like.

I've got a swamp-based race written up, but as it is it's basically just a d20 version of the Argonian race from Elder Scroll: Morrowind. I could definitely see a set of orc and half-orc sub-races that have adapted to life in the swamps, complete with disease resistance and stuff like that.

Not sure about PrCs or feats, but certainly someone could come up with them. I think a shaman-like class or PrC could be in order, and there are definitely some new gods you could come up with.

I think I'm gonna have to go dig up the "Survivorman" episode where he stayed in the swamps of Louisiana for a couple of days...

EDIT: Also, my inner Cajun demands that I or someone else stat out a Dire Crawdad.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-02-17 at 10:11 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

Needs Croc/Gator people. That is all. And Oozes and molds. Possibley the sentient ones on this board. I espcially like the Goomi. But they have hardcore LA if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Darkkwalker; 2008-02-17 at 11:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

This sounds really cool, and I'm definitely interested. I've got a couple cool ideas for prestige classes in the swamp, so I'll see what I can come up with.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Oh dandy potatos yes! I love swamps, I am totally in.

I think I'm going to have to contribute some items, prestige classes, feats, and races based on my favorite of all monsters: the Hags. The green hag is the iconic swamp queen...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure what to homebrew, A humanoid with snake features, or a snake with humanoid features? or a snake centaur? I realize the Yaun- ti are already part snake, maybe I could expand a swamp subtype? What should I homebrew?

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

I SO WANNA PARTECIPATE TO THIS.

I really love the Enviromental Books, too bad they are not even published here in Italy. An homebrew project like this would be awesome. I already have a moster I made some time ago that would be good. Maybe something similar already exists, but I made it specifically for swamps encounters.

Translation in progress.... and here it is:

Lurkin
    (open to name suggestions)
    Spoiler
    Show

original art by splinepusher

Medium Aberration (Acquatic)
    Hit Dice: 8d8+8 (44 hp)
    Initiative: +8
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 50 ft (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 16 (+4 Dex, +2 natural) touch 14, flat-footed 12
    BaB/Grapple: +6/+8
    Attack: 2 claws +8 melee, (2d4 +2/x2) or bite +6 melee (1d6+1/x2)
    Full Arrack: 2 claws +8 melee (2d4 +2/x2) and bite +6 melee (1d6+1/x2)
    Space/Reach:5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Paralizing Bite, Shrilling Claws
    Special Qualities: Amphibian, Blind-Seeing, Darkvision 60 ft, Disease, Telluric Perception 60 ft.
    Saves: For +5, Ref +8, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 18, Con 12 , Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 2
    Skills: Escape Artist +10, Hide +16*, Listen +13, Move Silently +13, Swim + 17
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Multiattack
    Enviroment: Any swamp
    Organization: Solitary o group (2-6)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment:Always Neutral Evil
    Advancement: 9-15 HD (Medium), 16-20 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: -

A dirty and purulent figure emengers from the mud. It has big claws, a eyeless face and a mouth bristled with jaws and full of a black fluid.

Lurkins are probably the result of a mutation of an humanoid race, due to the un-breathable air of the Choran's swamps. They are amphibious creatures, with no eyes, but they perceive very well their sorroundings thanks to an developed sense of hearing. Their shape resembles the one of an humanoid, although corrupted by aberrant physiognomy. They live in groups, in the putrid waters of the swamp, constantly seeking for creature to assault, or a refuge from predators bigger than them.
    Lurkins don't speak or understand any lenguage.

COMBAT
    Good swimmers, the lurkins relie on surprise attacks, emerging from blackwater and attacking their opponents from multiple directions, or hammering isolate targets. Their claws and their paralizing bite make them fair melee combatants, but they don't hesitate to flee from a fight if weakened or outnumbered.
    Amphibian (Ex): Lurkins are amphibous creatures and can breathe underwater for an indefinite time.
    Disease(Ex): Lurkins live in putrid and infected waters and can carry a disease. Whoever has been hurted by a lurkin has a chance of 50% to have contract an one of the following illnesses: Blinding Sickness, Filth Fever, Mindfire, Red Ache. See the description of these diseases on the Dungeon Master's Guide.
    Paralizing Bite (Ex): A lurkin's bite can have the additional effect of paralizing the opponent: (Fortitude negates DC 15, the DC is Con based).
    Shrilling Claws (Ex): Lurkins have big claw for their size, and use them as their primary weapon. A successfull claw attack lets a lurkin start a grapple check as a free action, to penetrate their opponent's flesh with their claws. This action causes an attack of opportunity with a malus of -4. If the grapple check is successfull, the lurkin is firmly clunged to his opponent and from the following turn he can inflict damage without making an attack roll. With a grapple check with a -4 penality or with a Escape Artist check with a CD of 15 you can free yourself from the lurkin's grasp.

Skills:*Lurkins gain a circumstance bonus of +4 to their Hide check when in swamp terrains.
    Lurkins are good swimmers and can take 10 to their Swim check in every circumstance when in swamp terrains.

What do you guys think? Fits with the thread concept? Needs tweaking or improvement?
    Last edited by Caracol; 2008-02-21 at 03:25 AM.

Characters played:
    Koros (Nation of the Dead) < - adopt this psicopatic as your avatar!!!
    Bones (Beginner's Dungeon Crawl)

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

I warned you. Now you have to go read it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I skimed through it, that looks awesome, especially the mouth.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

22. - Top - End - #22

What I will be doing is as other people submit things, I will add to the sections in the first post, linked to the post itself. As for my own stuff, I have some time today, so I might put up a Template or a Monster, maybe a Prc.

The Legend of TheLogMan

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, I made something. This is the first monster I really finished. I was kinda inspired by the Bog Imp from Heroes of Horror.
    Spoiler
    Show

Miresprite
    Size/Type: Small Fey (Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 3d6 (11 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares) swim 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 19, touch 15, flat-footed 15 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +4 natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-1
    Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d3+2)
    Full Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d3+2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Fury of the swamp
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, slime, DR 5/cold iron
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 20
    Skills: Bluff +10, Escape Artist +20, Handle Animal +11, Hide +10, Listen +8, Spot +8, Survival +8, Swim +18*
    Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative
    Environment: Temperate marshes
    Organization: Solitary, pair, family (3-7)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
    Advancement: By character class (Favored Class: Druid)
    Level Adjustment: +4

The creature emerging from the swamp seems to be a small elf. However, it seems to be composed of a mixture of reeds, sticks, and mud. Where its eyes should be are two glowing yellow-green spheres.
    Miresprites are fey who have adapted to and live in swamps or marshes. They consider it their duty to protect them from “despoilers” and will attack ferociously. They have the height and weight of a small elf or a large halfling, and speak Aquan and Sylvan.

Combat
    Miresprites usually plan ambushes, hiding underwater. They use their claws as a last resort if they can’t hide or swim away. Occasionally, they’ll use other creatures to aid them, such as alligators or toads.
    Amphibious (Ex): Although miresprites are aquatic, they can survive indefinitely on land.
    Fury of the Swamp (Su): A miresprites can, as a standard action, take a clump of mud (whether from the ground or from her own body), charge it with mystical energy, and hurl it at an opponent within 60 feet as a ranged touch attack. If it hits, the opponent takes 3d4 points of damage and must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is Charisma based.
    Slime (Ex): A miresprite is always covered in a thin layer of slippery mud, providing an effect similar to a grease spell.
    Skills: A miresprite has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    It's not properly game breaking if you haven't already rigged the initiative results or figured out how to ensure that you act first.
    Spoiler
    Show

A group shot of the players in my campaign.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Why aren't the limited visibility rules more like the rules for fog?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Right now I am homebrewing the Swamp/marsh giant and will post it when I am satisfied with it and open it to critisism.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

26. - Top - End - #26

I really like those three books, and I'd love to add to this.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe there should be some swamp specific items. Like safety lamps or (enchanted?) masks to protect you from the sulphur fumes?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Swamps are such awesome adventure settings. I've always wanted to make a playable "gorgon-esque" race. I'll try making one that's LA +0

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Swamp related gear;

Lanturn Cover
    Cost: 5GP
    Craft: 15

This round sheet of guass can be placed over the flame of any lanturn. The lamp or lanturn works normally however when exposed to flammable gas the flame will be subsumed by the guass. Causing the lamp to flicker (making the presence of gas immediatly obvious) without causeing an explosion.

Alchemical Cloth
    Cost: 5sp
    Craft: 5

This sheet of cloth may be wrapped around the face to act as a mask. When dampened the wearer may ignore the effects of sulphur gas for one hour as long as the cloth remains damp.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2008-02-18 at 06:19 PM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

For the Cloth, it could be 5 sp to make it sound cheaper.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.