New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

Tano

Tano just stared at Mara for a moment after she gave her blunt summary of the situation. His jaw worked, then he said, "Leave! W-we must leave..." The elf turned back to work on the boat as his voice trailed off into elvish muttering. Before taking a single stroke with the plane, though, he turned to Roostin and asked, "Master Roostin, we won't complete this vessel before the full moon, will we?"

2. - Top - End - #422
    Halfling in the Playground

When Gil hears the news, he gives Maria a comforting hug. All was as he had expected, and Gil resented being found first instead of the other way around. Gil, for one, will allow no sacrifices. While hardly a military strategist, he does know traps- and we've found at least two places we could fortify. Gil will suggest to Ovias and Roostin that we move every bit of our possessions to the top of the hill, abandon the open fields, and prepare to defend a siege and survive off the animals, if needed. He suggests perhaps ambushing the lizardfolk with misdirection, leaving them off-balance when we attack.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    Mara Herbswife

"We're in trouble," she said flatly. "Lizardmen held Maria at spearpoint and gave her this. I need to find Maria and treat her for shock. If possible we all need to hear from her lips exactly what happened. Then we have to decide what to do about it. And by we, I mean all of us - everyone who survived the shipwreck. This concerns us all." Though Mara was still looking at Ovias as she spoke, she was mostly thinking out loud.

Turning on her heel, Mara retrieved something from the healer's kit, then followed the direction Maria had gone, a determined look on her face. Just before she left, anyone standing close would have heard her speak in a low, fierce tone. "I've worked too hard to keep everyone here alive. If we just hand over five of our people, it will be over my dead body."
    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias picks up the piece of bark and reads it closely. He had been expecting something like this ever since they had found the first megalithic structure, and having heard of the second one had only made this even more predictable. The timing could have been worse, but that was about the only silver ore in the gang. Following Mara, he tells her, in dwarfish

<Truth be told, I was expecting this. We have now twice gone into sacred grounds of a primitive culture, indeed a warrior culture from what we could deduce from the first stone circle and their spear god. This is an insult, and they have responded with a challenge for domination. I'm grateful that they didn't charge outright>

Trotting to keep up with the determined woman, he continues, <Now we should determine what we should do. I will of course not stand to this blackmail. If we give them anyone, they will likely be sacrified in the big stone circle, given our luck so far. I'm sure some will suggest parlays, but I doubt they will be receptive. At this point, I see two possibilities, either we try and flee or we prepare to be attacked. Running is madness - we don't have food or water enough, no idea where we are or where we should head to, there is that ghost ship and its blasted fog going around the island not to mention that the boats are not big enough to carry us>

Considering their situation, he adds <Unfortunately, staying is hardly an improvement. The palisade will be finished easily by the next full moon, but that will hardly help in case we are put under siege. Our food reserves are extremelly limited, and we are not prepared to defend outselves against the onslaught of a full tribe. Even a few warriors will easily overpower our meager defences>
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #424
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Trotting to keep up with the determined woman, he continues, <Now we should determine what we should do. I will of course not stand to this blackmail. If we give them anyone, they will likely be sacrified in the big stone circle, given our luck so far. I'm sure some will suggest parlays, but I doubt they will be receptive. At this point, I see two possibilities, either we try and flee or we prepare to be attacked. Running is madness - we don't have food or water enough, no idea where we are or where we should head to, there is that ghost ship and its blasted fog going around the island not to mention that the boats are not big enough to carry us>

Considering their situation, he adds <Unfortunately, staying is hardly an improvement. The palisade will be finished easily by the next full moon, but that will hardly help in case we are put under siege. Our food reserves are extremelly limited, and we are not prepared to defend outselves against the onslaught of a full tribe. Even a few warriors will easily overpower our meager defences>
    OOC: I'm going to assume this came before I ran into Tano.

Mara Herbswife

Mara stopped, turned to look at Ovias, and replied in his own language. Her tone was flat and even and her face expressionless throughout, and as she spoke part of her noted that once she found Maria she would also have to treat herself for mild shock. <I know we have few options. I'm asking everyone I meet to gather by the palisade so we can discuss what must be done.

<Once we are gathered as a group, I must ask that you consider your words carefully before you speak, especially if you are addressing the elf, the halfling, or their friends. We cannot afford to have a repetition of our first meeting. If, while speaking to Tano or Roostin, you were to express your opinion on the possibility of fleeing as you just said it to me, it is likely that they would take offense and become difficult to work with. Especially because if the people who have been helping you with the palisade had been helping them instead, fleeing might well have been a possibility now.

<For now please stay by the palisade and show the bark to anyone who asks. I need to find Maria, so I can treat her - and myself - for shock.>
    Turning away from her friend, she continued toward the beach. Perhaps Maria was in the main camp, or near the ship Roostin and Tano were building.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    Mara Herbswife

<Especially because if the people who have been helping you with the palisade had been helping them instead, fleeing might well have been a possibility now.>

Before Mara could give one step away from Ovias, he held he in an iron-like grip by the arm, and spoke, <Is that what you think? Building a boat is not like putting a few roughly-cut timbers to the ground. You would have been of little help, not to mention that no ship capable of carrying the group can possibly be built in three weeks. But I see clearly that whenever things go wrong, all humans descend into irrationality and suddenly it is all the dwarf's fault> Ovias spit at her feet <Well, I have more than had it with irrationality and imbecility. I have tried to help, but clearly my help is undesired and now considered counterproductive. Well, then you can all burn in hell for all I care. The way things are going, I'd probably be "volunteered" to be handed to the lizards.>

With that, Ovias turns around, picks up his things and leaves the encampment.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #426

Tano

As the group gathered around the partially constructed palisade, Tano noted the absence of Ovias. Shrugging to himself, he took a deep breath and cleared his throat. He wasn't much for public speaking, but the situation was desperate.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as Mara has no doubt told you, we are faced with a cruel choice. I for one will not countenance sacrificing any of our number to the lizardfolk. Now that I've discounted a course of action, I offer this: I think we should row around the island as I suggested last week. That should take at most a day or two, and give us an idea if there are any safer places on the island to camp. If we find such a place, I recommend we ferry all of our people and equipment by boat to avoid leaving a trail. I include in this the partially finished launch Master Roostin and I have been working on. Even if we find a safer place on the island, it will not remain so forever. Now that I've said my piece, does anyone have a better idea, or ways to improve on mine? We must have some kind of consensus if we're all going to survive past the full moon."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Well, perhaps we should find out just how many of the lizard folk we're talking about. We are poorly armed, few in number, and relativly weak compared to them, but I believe we should know what we're up against.

I offer myself as an emmisary to the Lizard-folk camp. I speak a few languages, and perhaps I could make myself understood or even make friends with these savages.

I am obviously no fighter. They would not feel threatened by me, and honestly, I have only my life to lose. Many of you have scores of years left. And if I survived, wouldn't that be a fascinating story to tell?

Janson arches an eyebrow and pauses for a moment.

If I return, we'll know what we face. I'll have all the details we'll need to either attack or hamstring the lizard-folk. If I don't, you'll know with certainty that they cannot see reason.

8. - Top - End - #428

Mara Herbswife

Ovias' angry words penetrated Mara's shock more quickly and effectively than any medicine. With that insulating buffer removed, she realized too late that her words must have sounded as if she were blaming Ovias. Seeing him spit at her feet, and hearing the words he said after that, Mara felt as if she had been slapped. She could only stare as he began to gather his things, and after an moment of agonizing hesitation, she continued on her way. For now alerting everyone to the situation was the more important task - she would just have to wait and approach Ovias afterward. Perhaps he would have cooled down by then, at least enough to listen.

{{OOC: Grey_Wolf_c, expect a PM later; Mara is going to track down Ovias after the meeting and before her watch.}}

At the meeting, Mara listened grimly to Tano and Janson's suggestions before she spoke. "I don't mean to shoot down ideas when I have none of my own to offer, but what about that ship and it's unnatural fog? We don't know what it is much less whether it would be dangerous to encounter it at sea.

"As for Master Himmerhardt's offer, while the idea of gathering intelligence on our reptilian neighbors is a good one, I am uncomfortable with sending just one person to face a tribe that has already threatened us."
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-03-26 at 08:15 AM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429

Tano

Noting the general silence after Janson and Mara had their say, Tano nodded and replied, "While I'm not sure what ship Mistress Herbswife is referring to, I do think we have enough people to both send an embassy to the lizardfolk and row around the island. Agreed?"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm guessing Mara will say something about the "ghost ship" at this point, but I'd like to get my post out all at once, and I don't think her answer will change what Tano says next.

Tano waited for nods all around before continuing, "Now, while I'd rather take my chances rowing around the island, I think I may be the only one among us who speaks the lizards' tongue, and I agree that Master Janson shouldn't go alone. Unless we can dissuade Master Janson from parlaying with the lizardfolk, I will accompany him, though with great trepidation. In any case, I think Master Roostin is the only proper choice to direct the rowing mission, if he is agreeable. I think at least four, and preferably six should row around the island, and they should depart as soon as we are agreed. I won't ask for any more to risk life and limb speaking to the lizardfolk, but I can't say I don't hope others would care to join Master Janson and I."

10. - Top - End - #430
    Halfling in the Playground

Ben

"As much as I'd like to send off an old man and a skinny elf to a savage tribe of lizardguys demanding sacrafices from us, I'm gonna have to say I'm going to." Ben stated, stepping forward. Adding with a grin, "We've got to show those reptiles we're not a bunch of sissies at least."

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

Spending all his time with his chickens and their little offspring, Epswitch doesn't find out about this Lizard fiasco until late in the week. During one of his infrequent walks around the big people camp, he mentions to Gil, "Any idea when we are going to meet the Lizard people. If they claim to be the owners of that sweet hilltop structure, it is only right that I be one of the chosen 5 members to go negotiate with them for rights to it."

Ah.. good old, Gil, he never give me any lip. Too bad he doesn't often answer my questions though.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

"y'know... that forge begins to seem more necesesary than even I had hoped..." Zavulon sighs deeply, then with grim humor he laughs "hope they dont eat orcs!" his smile quickly fades though "on a more serious note; we cannot give anyone to them, thats just wrong. and we cannot fight them, we dont have enough weapons,fortifications or anything." he thinks for a while "maybe we can offer something else? we could tribute them food instead? or knowledge or maybe better weapons or armour? Now i dont REALLY want to give them better equipment if theyre gonna eat us or anything..." Zavulon scratches his jaw. "oh, and i figure that if were gonna try negotiating i wanna be with the group. in a fight i could maybe take one down before they ate my head. and maybe they have never seen orcs before?"
    Last edited by Shademan; 2008-03-28 at 05:36 AM.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

13. - Top - End - #433
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, I'm going make an exception to the "one week IC = one week IRL" rule. Week 6 continues for another week, and you have two new quests.

Rowboat exploration

Meeting with the lizardfolk

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

((ok im back, follow the link in my sig to find out why. i am sorry, anyway, im kind of stretched on time, so if someone could PM me and just fill me in on the major events?))

Eric continues his farming.
    Failed at RAF hosting.

AMENite
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roles in WW games so far...
    Villager:7
    Mason:1
    Seer:0
    Fool:2
    Alpha:1
    Devil:0
    Wolf:5
    Other:1

Current games
    Stargate
    When Cicidians Cry
    Face Stealers
    Fatbelly 4

BRC killed my Pixe!! thankies dude!

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

Epswitch looks around at all the chickens and wonder how he'll ever get them all moved when the time comes. Even if the scaly-folk won't sell us the hilltop structure, the location down by the river is much better. Perhaps the area near where the river empties into the ocean. I've heard those areas have fertile land and abundant aquatic life.

Epswitch spends a day making sure all the chickens are doing fine. Oh, how the little ones grow up fast.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Dwarf in the Playground

It looks like there are too few players left who are willing to do something about the lizardfolk threat... therefore, I'll have to end this campaign prematurely.

What happened to the commoners, then? Well, presumably some were killed by the lizardfolk, some were captured and sacrificed in the stone circle atop the hill. Some of them met Bal-Ze-Bal the Blackspear in person and died horribly

Some of them remained in hiding and survived, at least for the time being. Some of them went to find out about the mysterious people rowing in the misty bay, maybe found their secret cave hideout and heard their tragic story.

A few made it back to Bluehaven alive. Maybe.

Anyway, thanks for participating! I'll see you here at the forum. Also, if you have any openings for PCs in your PbP D&D games, I might be interested. Happy gaming!

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

wow... that was a ... rather fast end.
    now i can only wonder what happened to Zavulon...
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

on M&B:
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Got to be optimistic... Zavulon and Epswitch wandered off to find the lizardfolk to negotiate a treaty only to find their encampment empty(because they were off attacking the humans). Stealing food and maps, Zavulon and Epswitch made their way north well out of Lizardfolk country to a land of pre-fab buildings and magic devices which produce food and water for you. There, they relaxed and soon enough fell in love.

Okay... well, buh bye, y'all.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

MORE LIKELY: they met the lizards. espwitch was kept as a pet because of his funny size. They were not sure what Zavulon WAS. someone mumbled "a gremlin..." before they went home to watch Miami vice.

on M&B:

20. - Top - End - #440

You know, the reason that everyone has been missing may be that for most people it's spring break right now. Let's hold off on ending the game until next week, just to see how many of our players come back.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------