New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

Is Launch capable of making ocean-faring voyages?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"Thank you, Master Imbrrallius", says Ovias, confident he can let it in the efficient administrator's hands. He locates Zavulon around the camp, and walks up to him, <Hello there, Zav. Would you care to help me clearing out a nice place I found? We should eventually be able to build a forge there, if everything goes well. Not sure I trust you alone with an axe, but we should have proffesional supervision>
    "pfft! last time i tried to fell a tree i nearly struck of my own head!" Zavulon smiles "but id be throwing rocks at Orca-Khan for a forge now."
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie pixe View Post

((its for farming so it will be profesion right?

meh, i will take 20 anyway ))

total = 27

((that should find a nice place for me to plant crops))
    {{ So... Eric.. can you please put your name in bold at the top of your post! }}
    {{ Taking a 20 on a profession check would take 20 weeks to do. I don't think you really want to commit to spending 20 weeks looking for a good place to plant a potato.}}

Epswitch

Great, the fat dwarf has to be right there.

Well before Eric locates his planting location or really even manages much progress, Epswitch approaches the dwarf and Eric and says, "Excellent, the legal owner of the potatoes. I would like to trade for one of them. I have eggs." Epswitch pauses and looks at the dwarf, "I also have a fair amount of Ale, if that is of interest to anyone."
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Unable to sleep, Joseph raises himself out of his makeshift bed and has a walk around.

"Mhpm... Everyone else is still busy, arguing.. shouting.. Can’t sleep like this." He yawns and stretches, anyone close enough can hear his bones cracking unpleasantly from sleeping on the hard floor all week.

Taking a walk, anyone would notice a rare sight, Joseph without his coat. He meanders around and soon finds himself in the company of Ovais, Eric and Epswitch.
    He nods a quick greeting before walking on. Though his mind soon wanders to the idea of eggs, He had eaten nothing but meat and berries and stale bread for the past week and a half, a scrabbled egg or two was looking too mouth watering to pass up.

"Ahh Epswitch?"
    he announces, as he returns to the trio.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Roostin

Roostin tried to keep up as Ovias, Tano, and Zevulon argued back and forth, but gave up. "Right. Ah think Ah would also like to know whut you have planned and whut it's going to take, but Ah ain't gonna argue about it no more neither. Ah think Ah'm just gonna fix up the lifeboats we got. Ah need to add sails and something to use as a shelter, even if it's only a deck over the boats. If'n Ah can tie 'em together and rig a deck Ah will, and then we can all go in one vessel. Otherwise, Ah will start building another boat to take us out of here. Ah know how to teach a lubber how to sail, don't you worry. And Ah won't even flog you, neither." Roostin grinned, and turned to start work.

Actions over however many weeks it takes:

First: Repair hull of current lifeboat/launch #1. Rig a mast and lateen sail. Cut and sew two sails (including a spare) Repair seats and oars. (8 bodies leave the island)

Second: Repair hull of current lifeboat/launch #2. Rig a mast and lateen sail. Repair seats and oars. (8 more bodies leave the island)

Third: Build a third launch, including sail. (8 more bodies, which should be enough for everybody).

He will collect wood as needed to do the above. If the community shares wood, then Roostin will work faster. If he has to gather his own, he will do so. Once he's done, he will share his boats with whoever helped him.

He will claim his share of the salvaged sails and rigging from the shipwreck for the rigging of the boats.

Repairing ship damage while beached at an island in not an uncommon task for a sailor. If he absolutely has to, Roostin will salvage boards from the sunken ship by prying them off the remains.

He will sleep in his hammock, rigged from the cradle where he is working on the current boat, near the beach, even though it's not the best place, because he wants to be near to protect the boats from fire or storm damage.

If he needs to, he will take time off to get food for himself, or he will trade food with someone for a seat in the boat(s) when it/they are done. He will keep his barrel of water near the boats to use for firefighting, drinking, etc., and will refill it daily from the pond at whatever time the rest of the group is collecting water. He isn't looking to leave the community, but he is prepared to do this by himself if need be.

Fitting the masts will be the hardest part, but he will take 10 or 20 (Craft:Ship +4, Prof:Sailor +4) as needed to find the right trees to use as masts, and then hope to find help among the others for the actual stepping of the masts.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    re: lifeboats, I suggest the voyage of Bounty's launch, or this one about CAPT Bligh, or the Ency of Boating: Lateen Rig

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    Imbrallius

"Miss Herbswife? Have you a moment? I think we may have found some arable land I'd like to speak with you about."
    Mara Herbswife

"Of course Master Imbrallius, what do you need?"

{{OOC: Is Ovias with you at this point?}}
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    Mara Herbswife

"Of course Master Imbrallius, what do you need?"

{{OOC: Is Ovias with you at this point?}}
    OOC: No, Ovias is off talking to Zavulon

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #308
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    Ben - Approaching the pond camp

Carrying his sack of goods, Ben exits out of the underbrush to the edge of the water. "Hallo pond folk!" Ben calls out before stooping down to have a drink of water. Brushing his lips with his hand, he smiles as he glances around, "Anyone of you here could take me to that horrid alter that has the elf's britches stained?"
    This is all on the last day of week 2:
    Ignoring the bigoted remark, Gil volunteers and leads Ben from the pond to the fire circle.

When Maria tells Gil about clearing a circle for farming and housing, Gil seems interested. He goes to the location as Maria does, and will check the nearby area for suitable location for setting defensive traps, pitfalls, warnings, etc. "craft traps" - (d20+4)[17]
    He will avoid speaking/interacting with Grey, but will otherwise be perfectly friendly.

Later in the day, Gil will stop by the beach to have a word with Roostin - via PM

9. - Top - End - #309

Devil

Imbrallius

OOC: Imbrallius is by himself.

IC: "First, I believe we've found suitable land, near fresh water, which should alleviate many of our concerns. Master Eric finds it arable enough for his tastes. I've designed a few procedures to help alleviate the contamination of the pond. Do you think we should move?"
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-03-01 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Color my world...or just words

10. - Top - End - #310

Imbrallius

OOC: Imbrallius is by himself.

IC: "First, I believe we've found suitable land, near fresh water, which should alleviate many of our concerns. Master Eric finds it arable enough for his tastes. I've designed a few procedures to help alleviate the contamination of the pond. Do you think we should move?"
    Mara Herbswife

"Perhaps. How long will it take to clear the area in preparation for farming or building? I'd also like to see the area, and your plans for preventing human waste from fouling the water, if that is possible."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311

Tano

The dwarf's remark was the last straw. "Avamai, picinauco," was all he said before stalking off to find the only other person who actually appeared to want to leave: Roostin, the sailor. Approaching the human, he said, "Master, ah, Roostin, is it? What aid do you require to repair the boats? You and I seem to be the only ones seriously interested in leaving this accursed place."

12. - Top - End - #312

Devil

Imbrallius

"If enough people pitch in, we could easily have it cleared for farming soon. Master Eric and Master Greybeard have already agreed, I theorize with six more people, we can have the land cleared and shelter built in two weeks. The tree cover will protect us more from a storm, especially if we want to repair and modify the boats. As much as I respect Master Roostin's zeal for shipbuilding, if a good storm rolls in, all his hard work will be for naught. Besides which, it is a closer location to Master Shortoe, and that would be ideal for fostering dialogue to hopefully end this division as well as a centered location for your talents. As far as my plans, they are admittedly only as good insofar as we follow them. Rather than using the lake itself, filling barrels and using that water for cooking, bathing, washing clothing, et cetera will slow the process of contamination a great deal. Once we begin crafting in earnest, I can ensure that work is done in a place far enough away. Similarly, I can make a plan for irrigation for Master Eric's crops so that the lake itself is relatively undisturbed."

Imbrallius take a breath, even though he had shelter and food, his body was still unused to this, and his throat was paying the price.

"Any other questions?"

13. - Top - End - #313

Imbrallius

"If enough people pitch in, we could easily have it cleared for farming soon. Master Eric and Master Greybeard have already agreed, I theorize with six more people, we can have the land cleared and shelter built in two weeks. The tree cover will protect us more from a storm, especially if we want to repair and modify the boats. As much as I respect Master Roostin's zeal for shipbuilding, if a good storm rolls in, all his hard work will be for naught. Besides which, it is a closer location to Master Shortoe, and that would be ideal for fostering dialogue to hopefully end this division as well as a centered location for your talents. As far as my plans, they are admittedly only as good insofar as we follow them. Rather than using the lake itself, filling barrels and using that water for cooking, bathing, washing clothing, et cetera will slow the process of contamination a great deal. Once we begin crafting in earnest, I can ensure that work is done in a place far enough away. Similarly, I can make a plan for irrigation for Master Eric's crops so that the lake itself is relatively undisturbed."

Imbrallius take a breath, even though he had shelter and food, his body was still unused to this, and his throat was paying the price.

"Any other questions?"
    Mara Herbswife

"None, thank you," answered Mara with a smile. "If you can lead me to the location, I'll advise the planners as to which areas are best set aside for privies and the dumping of used water barrels. That should further reduce our chances of contaminating our fresh water." Her smile faltered and a guilty look flitted over her face. Almost immediately the smile returned, though it now seemed a trifle sad, but Mara offered no explaination. "Have you time to show me the place now, or do you have other duties?"
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314

Devil

Imbrallius

"Hmm? Something is on your mind." The clerk asks almost immediately after she finishes.

15. - Top - End - #315

Imbrallius

"Hmm? Something is on your mind." The clerk asks almost immediately after she finishes.
    Mara Herbswife

"A personal matter," Mara assured him. "I have been... foolish, and unfair to one I call friend. I appreciate your concern, but I will soon take steps to resolve the issue. In the meantime, I would be most grateful if you could show me the potential building site."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316

Devil

Imbrallius

Imbrallius smiles weakly, accompanied with a forced laugh. "I'm not sure you're aware of the situation. We're stranded on an island. Tempers are bound to flare. We need to be able to communicate effectively. Sometimes it's not an injury of the body that strains us."

17. - Top - End - #317

Mara Herbswife

"I know, Master Imbrallius, and again, I thank you for your concern." Mara smiled, real gratitude evident in her voice. For a moment her expression became distant and sad, as if she were remembering another time and place.

"I know, all too well, how wounds of the heart may give pain," she murmured, raising her hand to her heart. Then her eyes snapped back into focus and she looked startled, as if she had forgotten she was not alone.

"My apologies, Master Imbrallius, I was lost in thought. As I was saying, I fear that in this case I dealt the injury, rather than receiving it, and so it falls to me to make things right."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

Devil

Imbrallius

"Merely offering a friendly voice, is all. Now come, the day grows late and I have much work to do. I still need to organize the others to see if any want to help in the clearing of wood."

19. - Top - End - #319

Imbrallius

"Merely offering a friendly voice, is all. Now come, the day grows late and I have much work to do. I still need to organize the others to see if any want to help in the clearing of wood."
    Mara Herbswife

"Of course, you're right," answered Mara, fully recalled to the present. Getting directions to the site, she examined it and pointed out to Eric or Ovias (whoever was closer) several nearby areas where wastes could be dumped without contaminating the pond water.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Mara Herbswife

"Of course, you're right," answered Mara, fully recalled to the present. Getting directions to the site, she examined it and pointed out to Eric or Ovias (whoever was closer) several nearby areas where wastes could be dumped without contaminating the pond water.

Ovias takes not of the areas pointed by Mara, marking them with more inescrutable runes*.

"Would you preferr the constrruction of outhouses and septic ditches, Froilain? I can add them to my plans, but will likely rrequirre some morre time", he enquires in a formal tone.

* Even if you read dwarfish, these are not readable, but are some kind of dwarven building code (sort of how no matter how much English you know, computer code makes no sense - except this is also likely a close guarded dwarven secret - even from other clans)
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-03-02 at 05:03 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

WEEK 3

Please calculate resources gained/used on Week 2. I suppose Imbrallius takes care of this as he did last week? I'll give you some xp if you do You're the clerk after all.

Those who didn't post this week are assumed to take the same resource action as on Week 1. No-one dies this week because of inactivity or withdrawing from the game; instead, their characters are NPCs now. They remain loyal to the bigger group if the Ovias vs Epswitch divide persists. If the players choose to return at some point (supposing that their characters are still alive...) they can continue playing without any complications.

Your housing/leadership meeting was very interesting to read but didn't do much good for your 'community'.

Weekly Challenge - Exploration

This week your task is to explore the island, find new resources, contact the natives, etc. It's largely up to you what you want to do. The maximum number of groups is 4. It's recommended that you don't go alone because there's a 33% chance for each group to bump into a random encounter and it may be anything from a rabid rabbit to Bal-ze-bal the blackspear. Bwahaha. I'm exaggerating here but what I mean is: be prepared to defend yourself.

This is what I want you to do now:

1. Find other characters who have similar interests. Discuss the destination and purpose of your trip either in the IC thread or via PMs if you don't want others to know about it.
    2. Name your team and choose a leader.
    3. Start a new thread. Name the thread as follows: Shipwrecked! Exploration: [team name]
    4. PM me a link to your thread.

Give the following details in your thread:
    • Destination (e.g. the cliffs)
    • Purpose (e.g. finding ore)
    • Team members
    • Marching order
    • Anything else I should know

NO OPTIONAL QUEST THIS WEEK

Piggy Hunt continues...

Roostin:

Spoiler
    Show

Watching the sea from your tree one cold morning on Week 2, you notice a thick mist rising from the sea. Nothing unusual about that - but what's strange, you can hear a bell ringing somewhere amid the mist. You cannot see a ship, a boat, or anything else that could be the source of that sound. The sound of the ringing bell moves north along the coast and then fades away.

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Ovias takes not of the areas pointed by Mara, marking them with more inescrutable runes*.

"Would you preferr the constrruction of outhouses and septic ditches, Froilain? I can add them to my plans, but will likely rrequirre some morre time", he enquires in a formal tone.
    Mara Herbswife

"That would be ideal, but we can do without them for some time. Shelter for ourselves and our supplies is a higher priority," answered Mara, wincing internally at his formal address. "Look, um... may I speak to you? Privately, I mean?" she asked, avoiding his eyes and gesturing vaguely toward the brush.

{{Grey Wolf: If Ovias agrees to talk to Mara we can finish this via PM to avoid timeline and metaknowledge issues.}}
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-03-02 at 07:14 AM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

One night when most of the survivors is gathered Zavulon pledges his cause.
    " LISTEN! If we are to survive we will be needing better tools and weapons, which i can make, but we need ORE! Therefore I will be going to the cliffs to find search for it! Ovias have allready agreed to follow me but i would like two more fella's that can be of any use!" He nods to no one i particular and wait for their replies.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

on M&B:
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.

24. - Top - End - #324

Tano

Resource Action for Week 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    To avoid NPC-dom, Tano helps Roostin with the boats this week, either by taking 10 to "aid another" with the actual work, harvesting necessary materials, etc. as required. He will continue to stand both of the watches he's agreed to stand (taking 10 on his Spot/Listen checks throughout, for total results of 16 in each case), unless the work on the boats interferes. The boats are his priority, especially now that we know the shipping lane has more traffic than our doomed ship. Speaking of which, how often did ships leave for/arrive from Bluehaven and the colony?

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Mara Herbswife

"That would be ideal, but we can do without them for some time. Shelter for ourselves and our supplies is a higher priority," answered Mara, wincing internally at his formal address. "Look, um... may I speak to you? Privately, I mean?" she asked, avoiding his eyes and gesturing vaguely toward the brush.

{{Grey Wolf: If Ovias agrees to talk to Mara we can finish this via PM to avoid timeline and metaknowledge issues.}}

Ovias answers, "As you wish, Froilain. What would you wish to discuss?", before walking further into the bushes (not that the site, as it stands, is particularly clean of the undergrowth), and finding a suitable confortable rock on which to sit.

OOC: Sure, lets finish this on PM.

Week 3 - Resource Actions
    Not sure of the actions of others, so I'm going to make a few "Ifs":
    If only Ovias works at contruction: He will start clearing his building site, untrained lumberjack takes 10

If both him and Eric are there: He helps Eric clear his site, untrained lumberjack takes 10

If Maria, Eric, Zavulon and Ovias help at the sites: clearing the underbrush directed by Maria (profession lumberjack untrained, directed: 10 or 11, depending on whether I get to use WIS bonus when directed)

If 5 people help at the sites: Since 4 are enough to clear the underbrush in a week, Ovias starts construction, using the accumulated stone and recently harvested lumber. Stonemasonery +8, carpentry +3, call it on average +5 for both: Construction +5, taking 10 against DC 10

If more than 5 people show up: I'll RP to see if anyone helps Ovias in contruction (he will direct those that are untrained). First he would approach Zavulon, if nothing else because Ovias fears he may injure himself if left alone too long with a saw
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-03-02 at 07:49 AM. Reason: adding weekly resource actions

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Joseph resource action week 3
    (1d20+7)[17] Hunting.
    <Due to Injury, May not be able to do a full week>
    Last edited by Yeril; 2008-03-02 at 07:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Zavulon will help cleaning out the trees and underbrush, taking 10 on his rolls

on M&B:

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

On average, a ship full of colonists and supplies leaves for the colony from Bluehaven every six months. Now it's springtime, third week of the fourth month.

And like Ovias, Tano and Joseph have already done, you can take a resource action as normally even if you're going to explore the island.

By the way, the two lifeboats are little more than rowboats. A launch is bigger, more seaworthy vessel. If you use parts from a lifeboat to construct a launch, you can reduce the cost of the launch (500 gp) by 50 gp for each lifeboat used in the construction. Of course, a lifeboat used as building material for the launch can no longer be used as a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Tano

Resource Action for Week 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    To avoid NPC-dom, Tano helps Roostin with the boats this week, either by taking 10 to "aid another" with the actual work, harvesting necessary materials, etc. as required. He will continue to stand both of the watches he's agreed to stand (taking 10 on his Spot/Listen checks throughout, for total results of 16 in each case), unless the work on the boats interferes. The boats are his priority, especially now that we know the shipping lane has more traffic than our doomed ship. Speaking of which, how often did ships leave for/arrive from Bluehaven and the colony?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

{{ I get the feeling that there are more people at the pond with me now. If the 'ponders' want a fire and to post guards, I'm good with that. If we have any crops, I'd like to augment it, assuming I manage to get one of these darn potatoes. }}

Weekly actions :
    Explore with the 'writers guild'.
    Tend to chickens.
    Gather wood for fire.
    Avoid fat dwarf.
    Enjoy not being stuck in a chimney.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

30. - Top - End - #330

Maria

Assuming that Maria can take a resource action and still explore with the 'writer's guild' (I like that, I suggest keeping the name) Maria takes 10 for a result of 11 on her profession (lumberjack) check while directing the others doing the same.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------