New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

OOC: If Janson can't help, Joseph takes some time to tell Feln what he knows about dealing with Wild Animals. Handle Animal take 10 +1 so 11, to Aid another.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Roostin

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

"Finally, since we arre being so open with each otherr, I must say I find yourr own ship prroject verry dangerrous. You have neitherr tarr norr wax to prrotect the wood frrom the waterr, and you arre using grreen wood, rrecently cut, to build. Any boat built frrom such will quickly leak and sink: you need to drry the lumberr firrst. We also have a pitiful small amount of irron nails, without which your ship will not stay togetherr in strrong weatherr orr currents. And even if all those things werre solved, we have neitherr charrts norr enough sailorrs to get all of us out of herre: if you finish a boat, load it with food and waterr and leave, who will rremain to take the rrest of us out of herre?"

OOC: enough with the "Ah" for "I". Just imagine him talking like Larry the Cable Guy

"Well, thank you for honesty. I'll tell you a few things, though, if I may, 'cause I think I may understand whut some of our problems may be. You see, I respect your skills. I believe you if you say you know more about how to build a house than I do. I wasn't looking for some detailed design or nothing, I just wanted to know whut you wanted to build for a house and where you wanted to build it."

"Now, if'n you go and get upset when a feller asks you a question, you ain't gonna live long, dwarf or no dwarf."

"And, by the by, don't teach your granma to suck eggs, 'specially if you ain't got any chickens. I know whut I need to build a ship. I need wood, some cured, and some green. You cure green wood in place to make the keel, and without a keel you ain't got no ship. If'n you want to come to where I'm building the cradle I can show you. I need wooden pegs to hold the hull together. Don't use nails or they'll rust out. I need pitch. Look around at all these trees; I can get pitch. I need rope and sails. I need tools. I need time. I need some he'p, I don't deny it. But I can get everything I need from this here forest. If I have to, I can go over to that ship over there and pry the dang decking up piece by piece. I don't need no metal fittings unless I'm going to build me a dang three master frigate, and I ain't looking to do that. Just a boat big enough for us all to get off here. I ain't planning on leaving anybody here 'less y'all throw me off or don't want to go. Sailing ain't all that hard. Heck, even a dang dwarf can do it!"
    Roostin chuckled and dusted the sand off his hands before going back to work.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Janson watches Feln's efforts, and when he thinks he can offer without insulting him, he offers some advice.

Watch. Don't try to crowd him. Let him think it's his idea to befriend us. See?

Janson is eating a small morsel of pork. He waits until the dog whines before allowing the dog to take it from his fingers.

Spoiler
    Show
    aid another on handle animal [roll] 1d20+6 [/roll]

4. - Top - End - #394
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[22] Rerolling for syntax. Sorry for double post.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

apart from the regular surviving thingies, Zavulon will spend alot of time trying to convince Ovias to help him build a ore smelter in stone near the cliffs.

(1d20-1)[14] survival
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

6. - Top - End - #396
    Dwarf in the Playground

WEEK 5

Sorry about the delay!

Tasks for week 5:
    • Roll call. Let's see who's still with us. Post at least one message in the main IC thread.
    • Exploration quests continue. Something interesting is going to happen

I've got a surprise for week 6... a change of pace

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

Having never experienced the wonder of birth(and hopefully he never will), Epswitch is in awe of how fast his little chicks are growing. The still wander around with the mother birds, but they are loosing their cute little yellow fuzz and growing up so fast. Awwww

At least the birds are decreasing the ground based insect populate near his campsite.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Joeseph

Joe decides to have a chance of pace and adventures out into a different hunting area, trusting his luck and skill.

Rolling this week, (1d20+7)[18]

9. - Top - End - #399
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mara Herbswife

Mara continued to help Ovias with the construction of sturdy walls to shelter the group, and, anxious about disease catching hold if they remained exposed, tried to persuade anyone with idle hands to do the same. At some point during the week she approaches Roostin and Tano while they are taking a break from working on the ship.

"May I have a moment of your time, gentlemen? I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding between yourselves and Ovias, and I'd like to try to resolve it if I can."

Actions for the week:
    Help Ovias with construction
    Keep dusk watch at main camp Spot - (1d20+3)[11] Listen - (1d20+2)[12]
    Cross my fingers and hope to mend at least one rift in the camp
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #400
    Halfling in the Playground

Ben

Ben changes pace of fishing instead volunteering to help with the construction. (taking 10 on his rolls)

11. - Top - End - #401
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Janson (if he lives--I'm quite afraid, what with the spooky stuff going on down the beach) will spot and listen at guard duty.

He's also writing the history of the survivors in a kind of invented shorthand in order to conserve paper.

For guard duty:
    Spot
    (1d20+7)[16]
    Listen
    (1d20+7)[14]

12. - Top - End - #402
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tano

"Mistress Herbswife, I do not believe there is any misunderstanding. The dwarf made his position perfectly clear the last time we spoke: he is unwilling to engage in an informed debate. I will NOT stay here any longer than absolutely necessary. I will continue to stand the double watches I have committed to, but the second we have sufficient transport, I am leaving this miserable rock," the elf said, visibly restraining his temper. The anger and frustration that welled up inside Tano surprised him, but he didn't want to take it out on Mara.

13. - Top - End - #403

Feln Zekor

@Storyteller
    Spoiler
    Show
    You haven't said whether Feln succeeded on taming the fox...
    Regardless, I've been tasked out again, so I may be fairly inactive for the next 2 weeks, just thought I'd mention it so we don't time-warp conversations later.

Weekly actions: Teach the fox the tricks "defend" and "fetch", take 10 if anyone will give him a hand (for 21 w/aid another).
    Care for the egg.
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Ovias will continue to work on the construction for week 5. He will also explain to Zavulon that the fastest way he can get his smelter is to help him get the refuge done as soon as possible.

OOC: I'll try to get a list of resources and work done and left in a couple of days
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Tano

"Mistress Herbswife, I do not believe there is any misunderstanding. The dwarf made his position perfectly clear the last time we spoke: he is unwilling to engage in an informed debate. I will NOT stay here any longer than absolutely necessary. I will continue to stand the double watches I have committed to, but the second we have sufficient transport, I am leaving this miserable rock," the elf said, visibly restraining his temper. The anger and frustration that welled up inside Tano surprised him, but he didn't want to take it out on Mara.
    Mara Herbswife

Mara winced internally at Tano's evident anger, though she kept her face smooth. Ovias, my friend, it seems you really annoyed our elven companion.

"No one is making accusations here," answered Mara soothingly. "And the fact that you continue to watch on your shifts despite your differences with Ovias is admirable. I understand you are anxious to leave the island. I don't blame you. I would much rather be working under my master and teacher instead of struggling to remember lessons that will keep twenty-odd people alive and healthy despite the dangers of this island. I'm not asking you to change your mind about Ovias, merely that you listen to what I have to say."

Mara paused, waiting to see if her words had penetrated the elf's frustration.
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-03-18 at 04:36 PM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

With Janson's help, Feln succeeds in taming the fennec fox. The bird still hasn't hatched.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
    Feln Zekor

@Storyteller
    Spoiler
    Show
    You haven't said whether Feln succeeded on taming the fox...
    Regardless, I've been tasked out again, so I may be fairly inactive for the next 2 weeks, just thought I'd mention it so we don't time-warp conversations later.

Weekly actions: Teach the fox the tricks "defend" and "fetch", take 10 if anyone will give him a hand (for 21 w/aid another).
    Care for the egg.

17. - Top - End - #407

Maria

Maria continues to assist Ovias in building his palisade and stuff. In her free time, she continues exploring off and on.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

18. - Top - End - #408

Having spent weeks 3 and 4 putting up traps around the palisade/farm clearing. Gil will spend week 5 rigging ropes at the cliff face so that they can be used to lower or raise material. He'll need a bucket or similar from the stores, and will use his block and tackle and some rope.

Gil will also tend to the traps near the palisade, ensuring they all stay set and ready to warn of any incoming predators/natives.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Roostin

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    Mara Herbswife

Mara continued to help Ovias with the construction of sturdy walls to shelter the group, and, anxious about disease catching hold if they remained exposed, tried to persuade anyone with idle hands to do the same. At some point during the week she approaches Roostin and Tano while they are taking a break from working on the ship.

"May I have a moment of your time, gentlemen? I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding between yourselves and Ovias, and I'd like to try to resolve it if I can."
    Roostin stood up as Mara approached. He didn't seem surprised at Tano's outburst, but he remained even tempered, with his usual cheerful expression. "Misunderstanding, Miss Mara? Ah don't think so. Ovias knows whut he knows and wants whut he wants and you either agree with him or you're a dang idiot. Ah know lots of people like that. My Pa was like that, and you may have noticed Ah ain't living at home no more. Ain't no point in arguing 'bout it, and there ain't no point in getting all twisty about it neither. But Ah will set here a spell and listen to whut you have to say. Can Ah offer you a sip of this here tasty water? Carefully stored in an old oak barrel and with only a hint of sand for flavor." Roostin grinned as he offered Mara a dipper of water from the barrel stowed beside his work area.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

While off working his chickens and keeping them safe, has a sudden feeling of happiness. With a smile, he resumes his work, humming a tune.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

21. - Top - End - #411

Tano

Taking a deep breath while Roostin spoke, Tano worked to get himself under control. In as calm a voice as he could muster, he said, "Mistress Herbswife, I would gladly hear what you have to say, though I may not agree with it. And I must warn you, Zavulon tried to mediate between us before, with no success."

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

zavulon will assist the building of the refugee.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
    Roostin

Roostin stood up as Mara approached. He didn't seem surprised at Tano's outburst, but he remained even tempered, with his usual cheerful expression. "Misunderstanding, Miss Mara? Ah don't think so. Ovias knows whut he knows and wants whut he wants and you either agree with him or you're a dang idiot. Ah know lots of people like that. My Pa was like that, and you may have noticed Ah ain't living at home no more. Ain't no point in arguing 'bout it, and there ain't no point in getting all twisty about it neither. But Ah will set here a spell and listen to whut you have to say. Can Ah offer you a sip of this here tasty water? Carefully stored in an old oak barrel and with only a hint of sand for flavor." Roostin grinned as he offered Mara a dipper of water from the barrel stowed beside his work area.
    Mara Herbswife

Mara couldn't help grinning back as she accepted the dipper and took a mouthful of water. Handing it back, she dragged over a nearby piece of driftwood to use as a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Tano

Taking a deep breath while Roostin spoke, Tano worked to get himself under control. In as calm a voice as he could muster, he said, "Mistress Herbswife, I would gladly hear what you have to say, though I may not agree with it. And I must warn you, Zavulon tried to mediate between us before, with no success."
    "With all due respect to Zavulon, he has a bit of a temper himself, which did not help the situation. And Roostin's assessment of Ovias isn't far off," she admitted with a laugh, "but it left out the part where Ovias also expects folks to understand what he means behind his rough and often hasty words, as if we could all read minds. That's why I came down here. For whatever reason, Ovias can't or won't explain what exactly we are building and why we are building it instead of helping you two create boats that will hopefully get us off this 'miserable rock' as you put it. So I'm going to do so instead. I don't expect to change your minds about which project is the higher priority or about Ovias personally, I just want to make sure you understand the reasons behind Ovias' priorities.

"First of all, the palisades we are constructing are little more than sturdy wind breaks. The structure will have neither a solid roof nor a floor - hardly the kind of housing we would create if we expected to stay here for more than a few months at most. However, it will offer slightly more protection from the elements, and if most or all of us are sleeping inside four walls, it will be easier for me as a healer to prevent disease before it takes hold. That is the main reason that I personally decided to help with the construction - having the means to get off the island does us no good if illness wipes us all out first.

"The other reason for building the palisade first is also related to our survival here. Since arriving here we have seen evidence of others present here, and we don't know how friendly they are, though the inscriptions on the stone circle don't bode well, in my opinion. If we are attacked, be it by creatures of the night or by hostile natives, the palisades will provide an extra measure of protection.

"Once the palisade is completed, my intention is help you with your own project as much as I can. As I mentioned earlier, the sooner I'm no longer responsible for the health of the twenty-odd people, the more relieved I'll be. I imagine there are others who feel as I do, in that they want to make sure we have a safe place to sleep before working on a way to get off this island. At the very least, I'm sure there are people who could be persuaded to help you once they have fulfilled their committment to help Ovias.

"I won't deny that Ovias can be abrasive - he has mentioned to me that even among dwarves he is not considered the easiest person to get along with, and I too have had my fair share of arguments with him. However, I believe your goal and his may not be so different as you both think. You are all trying to help the group as a whole: Ovias by providing walls to protect us on the island, you by providing transport to get us off of the island. Personally, I think both goals will be better served if the rift between you is mended- or if not mended, at least patched for the time being."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #414

Tano

Tano listened patiently and attentively to Mara. When she'd finished, he took another deep breath and said, "Thank you for explaining what you can. That the dwarf refrains from sharing what he knows with his friends is even more troubling, to my mind. While I appreciate that you see value in the palisade, I can see only wasted effort and wasted resources, so I devote my time and energy here. I'll leave the details of the boats to Master Roostin to discuss."

OOC: This would be a good place for Roostin to talk, but I want to get my whole post out at once.

"I agree wholeheartedly the stone circle bodes ill for us. I see our only safety in leaving quickly. I covered what tracks I could to the best of my ability, but with all the people who have tramped up the hill and back, I foresee it is only a matter of time before we are discovered. Less if we continue to burn fires during the daylight hours and wander incautiously. Every trail is an arrow pointed directly at our camp."

"As far as the dwarf personally, I think it best we continue to avoid one another. Master Roostin still seems to be able to engage him in civil conversation, but I have frankly given up. I was willing to seal the breach even up until Zavulon was driven off, but the dwarf's words then and after still make me seethe. I'm afraid neither elves nor dwarves are quick to forget a slight, and it's gone much further than that between us. I truly want nothing to do with him."

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Roostin

"I don't know whut you want, Miss Mara. I ain't going to fight the fella, but I ain't going to bow and scrape neither. I got whupped out of fighting over mean tempered words about the time you was learning to walk, but that don't mean I'm just gonna smile and ask for more neither. I will defend myself with words or with fists, but I ain't gonna start nothing. For you, Miss Mara, I will try to be peaceable and walk away. More'n that I cain't promise."

"Maybe there's a 'rift', but I don't see whut I can do at this point. Every time I've spoken to him he ends up insulting somebody. Life is too short, and I have better things to do than be Ovias' errand boy. If he needs people to clear brush, then he needs to ask somebody who isn't in the middle of framing a keel for the vessel that's going to get us out of here. If there's something that everybody needs to do together -- all hands on deck to put up a ridgepole, for example -- I will be there. I will help guard the stores or the infirmary as I agreed. Otherwise, I'm going to work over here and stay out of his way and I hope he will kindly do the same for me."

"As far as resources go, I will take my share as you and Imbrallius think is fair. If I have to, I will cut down my own wood. If'n I really have to, I will row over to the ship over there and pry boards out with my trusty crow, here. It won't be easy, but ain't never been nothing easy these twenty years; I ain't foolish enough to expect things to change."

"If'n Ovias wants to talk to me, I will listen to whut he has to say and do my best to not be sensitive. More than that, I cain't promise. I would suggest though, that he picks a time when my friend Tano ain't here, and he watches whut he says about my friend -- and my boat here -- if'n he hopes to have any sort of useful discussion."

Propped next to the keel was a small scrap of bark, with the words, "SS Ansie Lou" etched on with a bit of charred stick.
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-03-21 at 12:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416

Mara Herbswife

Mara nodded, her expression neutral, when she heard the response to her explanation. She was saddened but not really surprised by their answers. Ovias had been stubborn and confrontational when dealing with them - their current attitude was an entirely reasonable reaction.

"As I said, I'm not asking you to change your opinions. I just wanted you to hear what is going on from a relatively nuetral third party. I hope that, if cooperation with Ovias becomes necessary in the future, you and he will be able to put aside your differences." Standing, she caught sight of the name propped next to the keel and smiled. "In the meantime, I look forward to helping you build the SS Ansie Lou once the palisade is complete."

Unless Tano or Roostin has something to add here, Mara nods at each of them, then casually turns and heads back toward the construction area.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417

Tano

"Thank you Mara. I appreciate your concern, and the time you've taken. The dwarf and I may be on speaking terms in a century or two, but in the mean time, you can rest assured if I see something that requires doing, I'll do my best," Tano replied.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Dwarf in the Playground

Week 6

Weekly Challenge - Lizards of the Coast

Maria, who's been scouting and hunting farther from the camp than others, finds footprints of a large reptilian biped deep in the forest. On her way back to the camp, a 7 feet tall reptilian humanoid blocks her passage, threatening her with a huge spear. Its scales are dark green and its eyes are black and glossy. More of these lizard creatures are lurking in the forest, but they keep a respectable distance from Maria and the big lizard warrior.

The lizard eyes Maria for a long time, keeping the tip of its spear trained on her throat but making no move to attack. It says nothing, just stares at Maria, her weapons and other gear.

Having studied Maria for a while, it bares its teeth (it's hard to tell whether it's a smile or a scowl), lets out a loud hiss, then tosses a piece of bark at Maria's feet. After that, the lizards back off and run back to the forest.

On the piece of bark it's written in Common:

"Defilers of our holy place! Tribe Blackspear demands tribute! Give us five worthless members of your scaleless tribe by the time of full moon! Take them to the fire ring! Obey or face the wrath of Tribe Blackspear!"

OOC:

Those of you that know the phases of the moon well can tell that the next full moon will be in exactly seven days.

You have seven days, both IC and OOC, to figure out what to do. Will you choose 5 commoners to be given to the lizard creatures (chosen randomly or by voting)? Will you fight them (and where and how)? Parlay? Flee (where to)?

Good luck.

Note: No exploration on week 6.
    Last edited by storyteller; 2008-03-24 at 01:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419

Maria

When Maria arrived back and camps, she walks slowly, half-stumbling, sheet of bark dangling from one hand. She walks around until she finds Mara and/or Ovias and tosses the piece of bark at their feet. "Here," she says, a shocked expression on her face. "An armed band of lizardmen gave it to me at spearpoint."

With that, Maria walks off again with her stumbling gait and shocked facial expression. She looks around the sites of her tree, the water hole, the palisade construction, the potato farm, and the beach huts. She looks for the various members of the Writers' Guild, wanting to explain what's happened to them. She swears passionately in sylvan the entire time.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

30. - Top - End - #420

Mara Herbswife

Mara was at the construction site, taking a break, when Maria brought her the slip of bark. She was concerned by Maria's dazed expression and stumbling gait, but the huntress moved off too quickly for her to ask for more details. Picking up the bark, Mara read quickly, then blanched. For a stunned second she just stared at the writing, then she began to swear loudly and vehmently in Common, Dwarf, and Halfling. When her admittedly limited vocabulary ran out, she located Ovias, ignoring the shocked looks of those who were close enough to hear her uncharacteristic outburst, and handed him the bark.

"We're in trouble," she said flatly. "Lizardmen held Maria at spearpoint and gave her this. I need to find Maria and treat her for shock. If possible we all need to hear from her lips exactly what happened. Then we have to decide what to do about it. And by we, I mean all of us - everyone who survived the shipwreck. This concerns us all." Though Mara was still looking at Ovias as she spoke, she was mostly thinking out loud.

Turning on her heel, Mara retrieved something from the healer's kit, then followed the direction Maria had gone, a determined look on her face. Just before she left, anyone standing close would have heard her speak in a low, fierce tone. "I've worked too hard to keep everyone here alive. If we just hand over five of our people, it will be over my dead body."

Anyone who approached her as she searched for Maria was given a quick, blunt summary of the situation and asked to wait by the palisade construction site until everyone had gathered to discuss what should be done.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show