Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 440
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Fisher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    3rd Planet From the Sun
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post

    Mara Herbswife

    "Oh, good, you're awake," said Mara with a relieved smile. "Your shirt and cloak are still wet, so if you are chilled you should use that blanket and the cloak you are sitting on to keep warm." With a slight blush she added, "I should like the rest of my spare clothes back though."


    Elias
    Slightly startled that the woman had spared her own clothes to help him, Elias quickly replies, "My apologies miss, thanks for your concern. They seem a little damp from seawater, but they should dry quickly. Here you are," he says while handing her the clothes and retrieving his own shirt that was drying nearby.

    Donning it quickly, he hesitantly stood and asked, "Is there anything I can do to help everyone miss... I'm sorry I didn't get your name. I'm Elias. Reaching downward, he offers his hand to help the lady up.
    Avatar by Doran Liadon

    GITP Player Sheet (Updated: 10/3/09)

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    Imbrallius - human clerk

    The clerk looked rather exasparated for a second. "It's better than a bunch of people running around and doing things randomly." Then the clerk looks toward the one who approached him. "Fire on the ship. I don't know why. Right now, we need to get organized. What's your name? Are you better at building shelter, hauling wood for the fire, or gathering food?" Imbrallius's manner is hurried, as if there was not enough time for everything. In other words, typical clerk.


    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

    Having finished the grave, and while waiting for the bodies to be laid down to rest, Ovias dropped by to the man seemingly willing to organise things. He could respect that, although he distrusted his abilities, not yet knowing him.

    "My name is <Ovias Greybeard>. You may call me Grrey," Ovias started, "I am a jourrneyman stonemason and arrchitect, and I even have a little experrience in building with wood. I will be collecting rresources to build shelterrs and otherr things, and building them. But I believe we should firrst locate a betterr place than an open beach. This place is dangerrous. Hopefully some herre can explorre forr a prroperr place. A cave would be my firrst choice, if therre arre any, but otherrwise a hill orr firm grround will do. Prreferrably close to both clean waterr and sea, forr fishing will likely be the best way to securre food"

    Having had his say, Ovias went looking for Mara. He seemed to be doing fine and from what he could see, she had managed to find a few living people, and was taking good care of them. Knowing the girl seemed to lack confidence on her own abilities - superior as they clearly were to the rest of them, Ovias thought he should point out what was obvious to his eyes, but maybe not to hers <Hi, friend Mara. I can tell that your knowledge was fundamental to save these people's lives. Why, I remember that one, and I thought he would only be needing the final rest. And likely, were it not for your help, so he would have!>
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    "GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum, there wouldn't have been such speculation."
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    OOC:

    The DC to build a regular wooden house is 15. A small house (as per the DMG) costs 1000 gp, so you'd need 333.3 gp worth of wood. A tiny house (yes, tiny like this one) costs half as much.

    Your progress on week 1: DC x check result = 15 x 20 = 300 sp

    So, if you're building a tiny house, you've completed 300 / 5000 sp = 6% by the end of the week. NB: "If you fail [the check] by 5 or more, you ruin half the raw materials and have to pay half the original raw material cost again." (PHB) This is another reason to take 10 unless you're a master carpenter.

    And if you had something entirely different in mind, do tell me and I'll give you the DC and gp cost.
    Last edited by storyteller; 2008-02-18 at 02:37 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Rayzin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    "Somone get a cooking pot ready, we've got some stew meat!" he says triumphantly, holding his bounty high. Joseph then sits, pulls a specialy crafted knife from a belt pouch and begins the grisley task of skinning the creatures. The burden and shock of being stranded didn't hit Joseph, He was busy, entertained, and quite pleased with his haul.

    *Replace with more setting appropriate animals.

    Ray Zhang looks at the man who called this out and quickly takes out a pot out and searches the beach for some dry wood.
    "Ill cook it once i find some wood thats not wet..."

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jagadaishio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Maria

    After helping dig the mass grave and bury all of the bodies, Maria leaves without a word, walking into the forest. Each day for the rest of the week she will pick a direction, walk as deeply into the forest while gathering food as she can before noon, and then walking back to the beach with what she collected. In this way she should be able to explore a great deal of the island surrounding them and gather food for herself and one other person by taking 10 on the survival check each day.

    Maria will report any interesting finds to any other hunters and anyone who seems to be in charge of the group. She will also gladly share her surplus food with anyone who needs it.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

    Ovias turned to the people scattered around the beach, and called loudly for attention. When most were at least looking in his general direction, he addressed them

    "People! We arre in a dangerrous place herre, too much in the open forr conforrt. Now, some of you may be suited forr explorration, in which case the best way you can help at this point is to trry and find a betterr place for us to set perrmanent camp. Building a village will take a long time, so look forr caves or otherr naturral rrefuges we could use. If not, I am afrraid we will have to all collaborrate in building the housing, else we arre caught in the open when rrain comes."

    "In the mean time, those that can hunt orr gatherr orr fish should do so. I am not surre how much food we have left, but trravel rrations last a long time and we should save them forr emerrgencies. Finally, we will prrobably be sleeping herre tonight. If so, we will need to stand watch. Forr the system to be fairr, everyone should stand watch forr a couple of hourrs. I will take the midnight turrn, since I can see in the darrk."

    "Also, I have hearrd that some have not wanted to help in ourr efforrts to help otherrs. If they arre not willing to parrticipate, they can starrt looking for themselves, I say. Those not willing to stand watch can sleep away frrom the grroup. Thank you forr listening"


    With that, Ovias pulled out his fishing line and went to a rock outcropping into the sea, from which to fish. He took his boots off and tied the fishing line to a toe, so he would have his hand free and still feel the pull instantly, and spent the time between catches working on a rather large, flat rock nearby.

    Actions: survival +2: fishing (take 10)
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    "GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum, there wouldn't have been such speculation."
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    sickler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Courtenay
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Ben

    Not having found any living bodies on the beach that could get up and walk themselves, Ben resorted to helping pull the last of the few dead up to Roostin to be searched then assisted in carrying them to their burial area.

    On returning to the beach, Ben sat around for a while and observed some of the faces he had begun to recognize. The half-orc talked to some man with papers, the idiotic halfling wasn't anywhere to be seen, the girl had wandered off somewhere on the beach and he recalled her coming back to ask for some things to help some injured person. Just then, he saw the grey-bearded dwarf again who started to speak to them.

    Hmm, I had better stick with the group, Ben's simple brain worked out the math fairly easily. Pulling his fishing gear from his belt pouch, he walked down about twenty feet away from the dwarf and started to cast as well.

    Actions: survival +2, fishing (1d20)[19]

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground
     
    borninbones's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    in my own world, ne
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    lawful_evil Action : Antagonize the survivors and look for my stuff. If I see that guy who was tending the animals on the ship, try to make friends
    Larry has a ton of animals and is only trying to take care of them.

    If anyone else has animals and would like larry to take care of them, you only need to bring them too him.

    Right now, I am just trying to keep them together, maybe build a short wooden fence just high enough and large enough to keep the chickens in. The cow and goats can be tied up if necessary.
    Characters: Pakar

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Epswitch

    As Epswitch continued to work hard gathering up that which was his and prepare to survive on this new seemingly peaceful island, he found everyone standing around to the fat dwarf and his speech. Scolding people about not working and setting rules. Typical. Oh, yes, I'm sure he is concerned about the people. No, he's more concerned about his belly. At least they've stopped wasting time on the dead.

    Epswitch wanders around a bit and finally finds the human he was looking for. "Larry! You're that chap which helped take care of the animals on the ship, right? Can you help me. I've rounded up most of my chickens, but we need to get them calm and secure if they're going to keep laying eggs for us." Epswitch motions to all the chickens standing around his pile of stuff. "Can you help watch them so I can go into the woods and help look for drinking water?"

    ...

    Epswitch, having worked on roofs and in tight spaces knew how important liquids were to keeping your mind straight. Once the dwarf decided to go dip his feet in the water, he called out to the remaining people, "Thirsty? I know I am. We need to find water. Now. Today, or we won't survive to starve to death. Who wants to live? Our best bet is a stream, pond, lake, or spring. We should send someone in each direction along the beach to look for runoff from such a body of water. The rest of us will need to head inland to look."
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

    www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Tano
    Tano looked up from his sorting and listened to the dwarf as he made his brief speech. The elf couldn't help but wish the dwarf had introduced himself, but Tano was too shy to have pointed it out. Looking over the mound of gear, he wondered where exactly he was fitting in. He'd helped with the dead, though not the digging. He'd spotted the island itself, but hadn't taken a turn at the oars. Now he was nominally guarding the, well, "salvaged" gear, with no direction as to what to do with it. Several of the other survivors had wandered off into the woods alone to hunt or explore, and Tano would have dearly liked to get to know this new forest better, but he felt tied to his current task. At least he wasn't sitting in the sand, though now that he thought about it, the sail cloth that formed his seat was one more item he was watching for someone else. Tano sighed heavily and returned to sorting. The task at least provided a distraction from his plight.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground
     
    borninbones's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    in my own world, ne
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    "Aaalright. Bring'em ere." Larry puts those chickens in with the rest of them, and widens previously mentioned fence.
    Last edited by borninbones; 2008-02-18 at 08:25 PM.
    Characters: Pakar

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Larry has a ton of animals and is only trying to take care of them.

    If anyone else has animals and would like larry to take care of them, you only need to bring them too him.

    Right now, I am just trying to keep them together, maybe build a short wooden fence just high enough and large enough to keep the chickens in. The cow and goats can be tied up if necessary.
    With the dead buried and spoken for, the living needed him once again. Feln headed back down the beach looking for something to keep his hands and mind occupied. As usual, the sound of animals drew his attention first. Someone had brought chickens and other farm-type animals with them. He was impresed, he'd barely dragged himself ashore, how this fellow brought the animals over escaped him. Still, he looked like he could use a hand keeping his flock together while he improvised something to hold them. Once again, Feln simply walked over and got right to work. I'm Feln. I'm good with animals.

    Action: Tend the animals so Larry can put something together.
    Handle Animal Take 10+9=19
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST


  13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post

    Elias
    Slightly startled that the woman had spared her own clothes to help him, Elias quickly replies, "My apologies miss, thanks for your concern. They seem a little damp from seawater, but they should dry quickly. Here you are," he says while handing her the clothes and retrieving his own shirt that was drying nearby.

    Donning it quickly, he hesitantly stood and asked, "Is there anything I can do to help everyone miss... I'm sorry I didn't get your name. I'm Elias. Reaching downward, he offers his hand to help the lady up.
    Mara Herbswife

    Mara smiled and accepted his help. "It's Mara; Mara Herbswife," she answered, gathering up the blanket and cloaks from the ground. "You're actually quite lucky. Most of those who couldn't sqeeze into the lifeboats didn't survive the swim to shore. As it is it's a miracle you weren't fatally chilled from lying in the surf all night before I found you. I'm an apprentice healer, or was, until we got stranded here, far from any teacher. I guess that means I've graduated, she added with a small, slightly hysterical laugh. Taking a deep breath, Mara handed Elias his cloak and the borrowed blanket.

    "As for what you can to do help, she said in a carefully steady voice, "take this blanket back to the clerk-like man organizing things over there. He is the one that lent it to me, and I'm sure he'll be able to find you something to do.

    No sooner had she finished speaking when she heard a familiar voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c
    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

    <Hi, friend Mara. I can tell that your knowledge was fundamental to save these people's lives. Why, I remember that one, and I thought he would only be needing the final rest. And likely, were it not for your help, so he would have!>
    <Thank you, friend Ovias. It is good to hear words of encouragement. Especially when some in our group seem not to appreciate how we must work together to survive.> She added this last as an afterthought, thinking of the dirty halfling's infuriating comments. Switching to Common she continued, "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go down the beach a bit further. I won't leave sight of the group, but I need a bit of time alone." Now that there was no longer anything pressing for her to do, Mara knew she would not be able to hold back the hysteria for long. Even as she spoke she could feel the pressure building, so without another word she turned and walked several yards, until she felt she was out of easy hearing of the others. Then, using her spare outfit as a cushion, she sat on the sand, hugged her knees to her chest, and let it come.

    OOC: Unless someone interrupts with something Mara has to do, she'll stay like that for half an hour to an hour. Then she'll head back, put her spare outfit back in her backpack, and help the elf sort through the items salvaged from the drowned crew and passengers.
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-18 at 10:07 PM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Tano

    Tano was glad to see the woman coming up the beach. Though he didn't know her name, he had seen her helping others along the strand. The elf stood as she approached, and said politely, "Thank you for your help today, Miss. I'm Tano, by the way. Tano Curunda, bowyer by trade, sorter of things by sad circumstance. Would you care for a seat on the canvas here? It's a bit more comfortable than the sand."
    If Mara accepts his offer, Tano unfolds the sail cloth by one fold, doubling it's area, though making it a bit lower to the ground.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to be without internet connectivity starting tomorrow afternoon, through Friday night. I will be back though. If all else fails, Tano will be taking 10 on his untrained survival checks to either aid another at finding food, or finding his own this week. Turning that lone bow staff into a proper short bow will have to wait.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Tano

    Tano was glad to see the woman coming up the beach. Though he didn't know her name, he had seen her helping others along the strand. The elf stood as she approached, and said politely, "Thank you for your help today, Miss. I'm Tano, by the way. Tano Curunda, bowyer by trade, sorter of things by sad circumstance. Would you care for a seat on the canvas here? It's a bit more comfortable than the sand."
    If Mara accepts his offer, Tano unfolds the sail cloth by one fold, doubling it's area, though making it a bit lower to the ground.


    Mara Herbswife

    Drained emotionally and physically by the work she had done and the emotional breakdown she had endured afterward, Mara was taken by surprise when the elf addressed her.

    "Thank you, Tano," answered Mara with a weary half-smile. Lifting the clothing in her hands slightly she added, "I'd be glad of the seat, as soon as I get these things put away." Locating her backpack, Mara did a quick check to make sure nothing was missing, then returned and took the place offered. Rubbing her hands across her face she thought It has been a long day. Suddenly she realized that despite Tano's polite introduction, she had failed to give her own name.

    "Oh, I'm sorry!" she exclaimed. "I didn't introduce myself. I'm Mara Herbswife, a healer, though only half-trained. Please pardon my earlier rudeness in failing to return your courteous greeting. I'm afraid that after the events of the last day or so I am not at my best."
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Janson Himmerhardt -- venerable writer

    If any of the survivors are looking west, toward the afternoon sun, they might see a lone figure making its way carefully toward the group. As he nears, they may recognize Janson Himmerhardt standing in the waning light. He is leaning heavily on a makeshift staff, but he is alive. His smile is as bright and bold as it was only a day ago, on the ship's deck.

    He waves his staff in the air.

    HO! Friends! I am happy to see you all once again! Smile! You are the survivors! Yes! Smile!

    He continues toward the group--his step a bit lighter, and his smile wider than ever.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-02-19 at 12:09 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Shademan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    raiding wales!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Zavulon

    Zavulon looked up at the smiling old man. he showed his many fangs in a large grinn and said "sure, it could always be worse, right?" he then remembered a story about man-eating one eyed giants that lived on islands such as this.
    "...could always be worse...."
    Last edited by Shademan; 2008-02-19 at 06:35 AM.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.


    The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

    on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    By following a game trail, the hunters are able to locate a small pond.

    OOC:

    Commoners trained in Heal or Knowledge (nature) may attempt to determine whether it is safe to drink the water. The DC is 15.

    With the bodies buried, Task 2 has been completed! 50 xp everyone! (Yes, everyone who's still alive.)

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    OOC:

    MORE INFO ON BUILDINGS

    The simplest type of building is a wooden lean-to. Not as good as a proper house, but better than nothing. This type of building costs 250 gp, i.e. half as much as the tiny house mentioned earlier in this thread. You can later upgrade a lean-to to a tiny house.

    With the Survival skill (DC 15) you can "Gain a +2 bonus on all Fortitude saves against severe weather while moving up to one-half your overland speed, or gain a +4 bonus if you remain stationary. You may grant the same bonus to one other character for every 1 point by which your Survival check result exceeds 15." This use of the Survival skill represents seeking or building a temporary shelter when bad weather hits the island.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    Maria

    After helping dig the mass grave and bury all of the bodies, Maria leaves without a word, walking into the forest. Each day for the rest of the week she will pick a direction, walk as deeply into the forest while gathering food as she can before noon, and then walking back to the beach with what she collected. In this way she should be able to explore a great deal of the island surrounding them and gather food for herself and one other person by taking 10 on the survival check each day.

    Maria will report any interesting finds to any other hunters and anyone who seems to be in charge of the group. She will also gladly share her surplus food with anyone who needs it.


    Having spent the morning gathering supplies together and avoiding the dead bodies, Gil sees Maria walk into the forest. Gil quickly drops his heavier gear, and runs to catch up with her. He'll accompany Maria in exploring, but is not nearly so adept in the wilderness. Instead of looking for foodstuffs, Gil will keep a lookout for signs of paths, shelter, danger and pitfalls.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Exploring gear: Quarterstaff, net, backpack(Bedroll, 50ft rope, 2x fishing hook, sewing needle)

    pre-emptive rolls
    "Spot" - (d20+1)[15]
    "Spot" - (d20+1)[4]
    "Listen" - (d20-1)[15]
    "Listen" - (d20-1)[13]
    and I assume Maria's survival will beat my take 10-1=9
    Last edited by smartaleq; 2008-02-19 at 12:25 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zed's Dead
    Janson Himmerhardt -- venerable writer

    If any of the survivors are looking west, toward the afternoon sun, they might see a lone figure making its way carefully toward the group. As he nears, they may recognize Janson Himmerhardt standing in the waning light. He is leaning heavily on a makeshift staff, but he is alive. His smile is as bright and bold as it was only a day ago, on the ship's deck.

    He waves his staff in the air.

    HO! Friends! I am happy to see you all once again! Smile! You are the survivors! Yes! Smile!

    He continues toward the group--his step a bit lighter, and his smile wider than ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shademan
    Zavulon

    Zavulon looked up at the smiling old man. he showed his many fangs in a large grinn and said "sure, it could always be worse, right?" he then remembered a story about man-eating one eyed giants that lived on islands such as this.
    "...could always be worse...."
    Mara Herbswife


    Mara had hardly settled into her seat when she heard the old man's cheerful call. Looking up, she frowned, thinking. I don't remember anyone but myself going that far down the beach from the group. Could he have washed ashore somewhere else on the island? But for someone so old to have survived an ordeal like that...

    "I'll be back," Mara said to Tano as she stood up. "but I think my skills may be needed." Walking on a line to intercept the elder, she arrived in time to hear the half-orc's comment.

    "That it could," she said briskly, trying to remember if she had ever learned the names of the people in front of her. Turning to the older man she continued, "Are you in any pain? I would expect someone of your age to be much the worse for wear after last night's ordeal. No offense," she added.
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-21 at 04:23 PM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jagadaishio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Maria

    Upon finding the pond, Maria attempts to use the heal skill untrained to ascertain the safety of the water for drinking purposes.

    Identification - (1d20)[12]

    Quote Originally Posted by smartaleq View Post

    Having spent the morning gathering supplies together and avoiding the dead bodies, Gil sees Maria walk into the forest. Gil quickly drops his heavier gear, and runs to catch up with her. He'll accompany Maria in exploring, but is not nearly so adept in the wilderness. Instead of looking for foodstuffs, Gil will keep a lookout for signs of paths, shelter, danger and pitfalls.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Exploring gear: Quarterstaff, net, backpack(Bedroll, 50ft rope, 2x fishing hook, sewing needle)

    pre-emptive rolls
    Identification - (1d20)[12]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    and I assume Maria's survival will beat my take 10-1=9
    "Who are you?" asks Maria as Gil catches up with her. She has her bag hoisted over one shoulder and a loaded sling dangling from her spare hand. She wore thin peasant's clothes, her feet in simple moccasins wrapped in strips of cloth to keep them tight on her feet.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If taking 10 on your survival check wouldn't allow you to overcome DC 10, you may as well just actually roll. That way, you have some chance of at least finding some food.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Janson Himmerhardt, venerable writer

    Turning to the older man she continued, "Are you in any pain? I would expect someone of your age to be much the worse for wear after last night's ordeal. No offense," she added.
    As the young woman neared him, Janson's broad smile broke, and only a grimace of pain remained. By the time she reached him, he had fallen to his knees.

    My way...he was panting with the effort of walking so far...has always been to ignore...hardship...and turn toward more...pleasant...

    Janson pitched forward toward toward the sand.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-02-19 at 08:26 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Fisher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    3rd Planet From the Sun
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Elias
    Walking over to the clerk, Elias offers his help in gathering food and supplies. Unless help is needed in another area, he will continue to do so for the rest of the week.

    Spoiler
    Show

    My apologies for the bland post.

    Checks for the week:

    Survival: +4, taking ten. Gather food for everyone.
    Search: +4, taking ten. Search shore for washed up debris or supplies from the ship that's still usable.

    Elias will conserve/save rations and other supplies for later. The following items he will gladly lend to others if they have a need for them:
    -Waterskin
    -Rope (50ft)
    -Flint and Steel
    -Lantern
    -3 pints of Oil
    -1/2lb of Corn
    -Flasks
    -Spare Candles
    -Inkpen
    -Spare Parchment
    -Bedroll

    Though stranded on an island, for the time being Elias will not allow the opening of any of the packages he carries. For now he chooses to uphold the Courier's Code.
    Avatar by Doran Liadon

    GITP Player Sheet (Updated: 10/3/09)

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zed's Dead View Post
    Janson Himmerhardt, venerable writer

    As the young woman neared him, Janson's broad smile broke, and only a grimace of pain remained. By the time she reached him, he had fallen to his knees.

    My way...he was panting with the effort of walking so far...has always been to ignore...hardship...and turn toward more...pleasant...

    Janson pitched forward toward toward the sand.
    Mara Herbswife


    Mara had never been particularly quick or agile before, but when the elderly man toppled, her body moved without thought to catch him before he hit the sand. Kneeling, she carefully lowered him to the ground, then removed her cloak and spread it out next to him. As gently as possible she rolled him on the cloth. It was better than the sand, if barely.

    The man's face was pale, his mouth twisted in pain, and perspiration beaded on his brow. Feeling for his pulse and listening to his breath, Mara was alarmed to find the former racing and the latter fast and shallow. Clearly this was a man of great personal strength, to have endured the amount of pain he was evidently feeling not only long enough to find the rest of the survivors, but even smiling until the last moment.

    "Sir, I don't know if you can hear me, but I need to make sure you don't have any broken bones. Don't try to talk - " she quickly warned, "at least not until I've made sure your ribs are whole. If you try to move or talk with a broken rib you might puncture a lung, and even an expert healer with a full range of supplies would be hard pressed to save you then."

    Glancing up at the hovering half-orc she ordered, "See if that clerk fellow has found any medicinal herbs. I don't have any with me, and this gentleman is probably going to need something to take the pain away even if by some miracle I find no serious injuries."

    With that she returned her full focus to the injured man before her. "First I'm going to check your torso," she explained, though she was saying it as much for her own benefit as for the old man's. Murmuring reassurances, explanations, and apologies when she jostled him, she examined the man thoroughly, wincing at the livid bruises that dappled his chest and back. It seemed that wherever he had washed up, he had hit a number of good-sized boulders first. His feet too were bruised and swollen, though Mara suspected that was the result of his trek to find them. To her surprise and relief, she couldn't detect any broken bones.

    "You are probably the luckiest person here," Mara informed the prone figure, relief making her voice light. It didn't matter whether or not he could hear her, she just had to marvel aloud. "From the looks of things you could easily have died just washing ashore. That you not only survived, but then walked the gods only know how far to find us is incredible. You're suffering from dehydration and exhaustion, but aside from those admittedly nasty bruises and a few minor scrapes, you have no injuries at all!"
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Janson Himmerhardt, venerable writer
    "You are probably the luckiest person here," Mara informed the prone figure, relief making her voice light. It didn't matter whether or not he could hear her, she just had to marvel aloud. "From the looks of things you could easily have died just washing ashore. That you not only survived, but then walked the gods only know how far to find us is incredible. You're suffering from dehydration and exhaustion, but aside from those admittedly nasty bruises and a few minor scrapes, you have no injuries at all!"
    Though his breathing was still ragged and shallow, Janson managed a smile.

    Thank you, Lady Mara. Fates willing...I shall live...to tell your story...should you deign to tell it me.

    Janson lays back into the sand and closes his eyes. His breathing eases noticeably.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-02-20 at 12:18 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    To Maria's untrained eyes, it looks like any other pond... (failure)

    Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    Maria

    Upon finding the pond, Maria attempts to use the heal skill untrained to ascertain the safety of the water for drinking purposes.

    [roll0]



    "Who are you?" asks Maria as Gil catches up with her. She has her bag hoisted over one shoulder and a loaded sling dangling from her spare hand. She wore thin peasant's clothes, her feet in simple moccasins wrapped in strips of cloth to keep them tight on her feet.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If taking 10 on your survival check wouldn't allow you to overcome DC 10, you may as well just actually roll. That way, you have some chance of at least finding some food.
    Last edited by storyteller; 2008-02-20 at 03:24 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Epswitch

    When the bald halfling hears about water source, he sighs in relief. Well, no need to mount a big expedition then. He goes over to Larry and the chickens and says, "They've found water. We should move the chickens a bit closer. We want the water to be convenient, but we don't want the chickens to contaminate it." Epswitch gathers up a bunch of his stuff, nearly as much as he could carry and heads over to the water source.

    Once at the water source, he checks out the surrounding. He takes a deep drink from the water. Assuming it doesn't immediately kill him, Epswitch then selects a pair of trees about 60-75' from the water(if possible) which are about 6 feet apart and using his rope and the 6'x6' canvas he brought, sets up a 'tent'. He unloads most of his stuff into the tent and then heads back to the beach to get more stuff. Back and forth and back and forth, probably for the rest of the day. The last thing he attempts to move are the chickens, with Larry's help.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

    www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zed's Dead View Post
    Janson Himmerhardt, venerable writer

    Though his breathing was still ragged and shallow, Janson managed a smile.

    Thank you, Lady Mara. Fates willing...I shall live...to tell your story...should you deign to tell it me.

    Janson lays back into the sand and closes his eyes. His breathing eases noticeably.
    Mara Herbswife


    About to ask her patient's name - and how he knew her own - Mara realized he was falling asleep. He needs rest more than I need information, she decided, standing up. Hurrying up the beach, she retreived her backpack, then paused to address Tano.

    "I'm sorry to abandon you like this," she apologized, "but I'm worried about that old gentleman. I want to keep an eye on him for a while."

    Taking her belongings back to where the man in question still lay, she removed her spare cloak and laid it over him, once again using her cloak as a make-shift blanket. Noticing that it would be sunset in an hour or two, she set about gathering driftwood into a pile near her most recent charge.

    OOC: When it starts to get dark she will light a fire with the flint and steel in her belt pouch, using her gathered wood as a stockpile throughout the night if necessary. If others come to the fire later, she will try to organize setting a watch throughout the night.
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-21 at 10:51 PM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Tano

    Spoiler
    Show
    The hotel has an internet connection! Plus, I'll be home tomorrow. Since there is only the one machine here in the lobby, I can't take as much time as I'd like, but here's a short post at least.


    Tano sighed as Mara explained she was leaving to attend another passenger in distress. "I understand, Mara," was all he said as she retreated. Folding the sail cloth once again, the elf boosted the height of his seat above the sand, and observed the halfling moving his belongings inland somewhere beyond the treeline.
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-02-21 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Forgotten slash

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •