Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 440
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    When exactly during the week will the boar hunt take place? I ask because Tano should be finished with his shortbow and arrows about half way through the week, and I think that's a much safer way to hunt a boar.


    Tano

    Listening intently to Ovias' speech, Tano's brow furrowed at the mention of searching for a cave. The elf waited for Ovias to finish, then said, "With all due respect to Master Greybeard, I do not believe we have the wherewithal to take a cave away from whatever may be living there. We are but few, and poorly armed. As for clearing an area, I think we may find more advantage in using the trees as pillars to support our walls and roof. That will save us work in both clearing an area and building our shelter."
    Noting some of the less than pleased looks around the circle, he added, "It's not that I'm against harvesting what we need from the forest. I'm against making unnecessary work for ourselves, and wastage. We can afford neither."

    After the shelter discussion had wound down, but before everyone left, he asked one last question: "Who knows how to use a bow? I will finish a shortbow and some arrows this week, but will need to gather materials for any more. If there is no one, I can devote myself more fully to tasks about the camp or exploring the island."

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    sickler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Courtenay
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Ben

    Ben decides he'll have a simple look-see of the surrounding wilderness today, taking along one of his rations, a torch and what's in his belt pouch.

    Survival (to not get lost): (1d20+2)[18]

    Optional checks for the DM to use (hopefully he picks the big numbers)
    Spot: (1d20+2)[22]
    Listen: (1d20)[9]
    Search: (1d20-1)[16]
    Climb: (1d20+1)[20]

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zed's Dead
    Lady, few enough of us have survived, and those who have, especially me, owe you a debt of gratitude. You have made friends here, I reckon. I have heard the question of leadership come up a time or two this week, among other questions, and it's time we found answers.

    That being said, I think it's time for us to palaver. There is much to discuss. I don't get around as fast as you do. Would you see to it that the entire group meet on the beach near the tent at sundown? I'll arrange for a bonfire suitable for a meeting of this import.
    Mara Herbswife

    "Master Himmerhardt, I will of course spread word of the bonfire tonight. I cannot ensure everyone will come," she added, thinking of the halfling. "Too, if you mean to suggest that I should take formal leadership of the group, I should tell you that others have suggested the same. I personally believe <Ovias> to be a better choice of leader, but nevermind. I will pass along your message to all I see."

    OOC: For the first half of the week Mara will gather medicinal herbs. For the second half of the week she will gather edible plants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Spot (on watch)]1d20+3[/roll]
    [roll=Listen (on watch)]1d20+1[/roll]
    Knowledge (nature) 10+3
    Survival 10+3

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Re-rolling Spot and Listen checks for my watch:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot - (1d20+3)[13]
    Listen - (1d20+1)[12]
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Listening intently to Ovias' speech, Tano's brow furrowed at the mention of searching for a cave. The elf waited for Ovias to finish, then said, "With all due respect to Master Greybeard, I do not believe we have the wherewithal to take a cave away from whatever may be living there. We are but few, and poorly armed. As for clearing an area, I think we may find more advantage in using the trees as pillars to support our walls and roof. That will save us work in both clearing an area and building our shelter."
    "Mater Currunda," Ovias answers politely, if a bit stiffly, "I see yourr point, but as I said, we should wait forr tonight. Elder Himmerrharrdt has called forr a generral meeting, and so have I. We do not yet know if we will find any caves nearr the waterr, so anything we say is purre speculation - you asume it is taken by dangerrous creaturres, but in any forrest therre is 20 herrbivorres one forr each carrnivorre. Shall we wait until we have facts beforre clouding the issue? If we find nocaves, it is pointless. Same if we find them empty, orr inhabited by bunnies."

    Thinking of stopping there, Ovias realices that the elf's point of view deserves a fair chance, and thus he should have some time to think about the worst problem in his own idea, so he continues, "Furrtherrmorre, yourr own idea has a majorr prroblem: those of us that know how to build do not know how to build arround trrees like yourr kind does. It rrequirres verry carreful measurrements and fitting to prrevent leaking. I cannot achieve that level of perrfection, and we would have to destrroy our sails to achieve it, which is not a good idea. I am not trrying to discourrage you, all ideas will be hearrd if I can have it that way, and I will do my best to build what we decide to in the end, but even a simple housing like what we arre planning rrequirres foundatins which arre difficult when therre are rroots, and even morre so when therre arre trrees. The idea is not without merrit, but maybe it rrequirres a little morre thought. As I have said severral times, lets find the location firrst, then decide what we shall build"

    OOC: The hunting will take place sometime during the week. If the bow is finished by then, do bring it along. Asuming we come back from the ship, you will also likely have a nice rapier to match, since I think you're the only one that can use those two weapons.
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Imbrallius

    Taking 10 on my spot/listen checks for watch, for a grand total of 11, each.

    "Well, well, that's that." Imbrallius finished writing his latest list with a flourish. It was up to him to make sure all inventory was well taken care of.

    They had enough food. Shelter was the biggest problem now. There was going to be a decision made, and frankly, Imbrallius didn't like either option, since both had glaring problems. A cave could be inhabitated, and might not be large enough for the entire group in either case, and building a shelter was going to take more time than healthy, leaving them exposed to disease. Not to mention that they had little in the way of resources to harvest lumber. A decent two-person saw was nowhere to be found, and axes were difficult, even given the conditions of the lumber.

    Ovias had been helpful in organizing shelter. That was Imbrallius's biggest concern right now. Leaving themselves without shelter risked disease, and that would wreak havoc on the already ill-suited group.

    He needed to get people more organized into shelter and food groups. Materials needed to be harvested, but that would be useless if they decided on a cave. The decision needed to be made now, before any more time was lost.

    Imbrallius went to his next list. Food distribution was key.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Imbrallius's List No. 3 - Food Acquisition

    Scavenged Supplies - Initial Shipwreck
    1 gal. cooking oil
    1 gal. cooking wine
    2 lb. beans
    1 lb. salt
    1 lb. corn
    2 loaves bread
    53 lb. flour
    10 lb. wheat
    65 servings trail rations

    Epswitch's food is not listed here.

    Scavenged Supplies - From the Ship
    (OOC: I haven't read the Sunken Ship quest to avoid meta-knowledge. Probably nothing, but will fill in if there is)

    Foraged Supplies
    203 days worth of food/person

    Consumed Supplies
    154 days worth of food/person

    Total Surplus/Defecit
    49 days worth of food/person - 7 people are fed for this week. Check with Master Ovias for rottage.

    Epswitch's Food - Don't expect him to contribute it. Will bargain if necessary
    2 gal. ale
    2 lb. cheese
    1 lb. meat
    20 loaves bread

    Looking towards his next list, he sighed with it's smaller progress.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Imbrallius's List No. 4 - Resource Acquisition/Activity List
    12.5 stone - Ovias (7), Eric (5.5)
    19.5 wood - Brady (8), Roostin (6.5), Imbrallius (5)
    Animals - Feln, Epswitch

    Current Shelter Plans - Lifeboat w/canvas. Cave or Palisade? Must decide quickly!

    Then the final list.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Imbrallius's List No. 5

    Goods

    Containers
    17 sacks (I can spare one of mine for 18)
    8 iron pots
    6 clay jugs
    4 baskets
    5 flasks
    3 barrels
    2 buckets
    2 chests
    4 clay mugs
    1 tankard
    1 vial

    Oil
    18 pints

    Construction
    17 sq. yards canvas
    10 pieces chalk
    2 shovels
    2 block and tackles
    2 pints tar
    5 hammers

    Crafting Equipment
    6 whetstones
    2 sewing needles
    2 miner's picks
    1 pouch with odd things inside it - What is this?

    Fishing
    3 fish nets (25 sq. ft. ea.)
    44 fish hooks
    1 set fishing gear

    Rope
    700 ft. hemp rope
    10 ft. silk rope

    Writing
    78 sheets parchment
    10 inkpens
    11 sheets used parchment (5 letters + 5 lists + 1 scroll)
    6 vials ink
    3 scroll cases
    1 sheet paper
    1 lb. sealing wax

    Healer's Equipment
    7 lb. soap

    Miscellaneous
    4 signal whistles

    Cloth Goods
    14 bedrolls
    6 winter blankets

    Spare Clothing
    2 traveler's outfits
    1 explorer's outfit

    Epswitch - May be troublesome
    50 ft. hemp rope
    8 spare clothes
    5 clay mugs
    4 ladders
    4 sq. yards canvas
    2 iron pots
    2 bedrolls
    2 blankets
    2 hammers
    1 sack
    1 shovel

    He had taken the liberty of taking the possessions of the ones who died. Once Mara had ascertained their death, Imbrallius ensured that their clothing was taking as well. It may have made him look like a vulture, but they needed the cloth.

    The things that they had on them were acquired for common use. Simple things like sacks and buckets were a no-brainer. At the meeting that the aged Jason seemed to be planning, he would make a fuller report. Right now, he wanted to talk to Ovias.

    "I've compiled this list, Master Greybeard. It seems we're doing alright for food consumption. I'm of the opinion we need to devote more time to resource gathering in order to build a shelter. I'm no woodcutter, easily the slowest of the three that we have gathering wood. Perhaps we should propose some sort of plan in a bit more formal. We've been here a week, and I don't want our excess food supplies to attract any predators. And we need to decide on the living arrangements now. Ideally, we'll need a place for Mara to work, bless her, so that a disease, if it breaks out, will not spread."
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-02-25 at 10:03 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jagadaishio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    When exactly during the week will the boar hunt take place? I ask because Tano should be finished with his shortbow and arrows about half way through the week, and I think that's a much safer way to hunt a boar.


    Tano

    Listening intently to Ovias' speech, Tano's brow furrowed at the mention of searching for a cave. The elf waited for Ovias to finish, then said, "With all due respect to Master Greybeard, I do not believe we have the wherewithal to take a cave away from whatever may be living there. We are but few, and poorly armed. As for clearing an area, I think we may find more advantage in using the trees as pillars to support our walls and roof. That will save us work in both clearing an area and building our shelter."
    Noting some of the less than pleased looks around the circle, he added, "It's not that I'm against harvesting what we need from the forest. I'm against making unnecessary work for ourselves, and wastage. We can afford neither."

    After the shelter discussion had wound down, but before everyone left, he asked one last question: "Who knows how to use a bow? I will finish a shortbow and some arrows this week, but will need to gather materials for any more. If there is no one, I can devote myself more fully to tasks about the camp or exploring the island."
    Maria approaches Tano and explains to him, "I know how to use a longbow. I'm a skilled bowyer and a trained lumberjack. I could provide you with help if you need it, and a longbow would be great help to me in protecting the camp and hunting."
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Tano

    "While it's true we have no tree-shaper, are we sure we'll be here long enough to merit building a full-blown foundation?" Tano asked. Considering for a moment, he added, "But you are right, Master Greybeard. We must know more about our temporary home before coming to a decision."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ninja'd by Maria!


    Tano
    To Maria:
    "A longbow? Hmmm. That will require much work. I lost all of my longest staves in the wreck, so we'll have to start by finding a suitable tree, or hoping we find one washing up on the beach. Once we've gathered the necessary materials, even with two of us working, I expect it will take the better part of a month. Still, it's worth discussing at the bonfire tonight, I think," Tano replied.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I base my calculations on Tano taking 10, with Maria "aiding another" to yield a 20. That provides 20x12=240 sp=24 gp of progress per week we do nothing else (and I think we can squeeze in the other 1 gp of work to round it down to three weeks total, if the DM is willing). If Tano works on it alone, that will be 21.6 gp of progress per week, or three and a half weeks total. Of course, none of this factors in the length of time required to gather 25 gp of materials. At best, I think that'll be another week. Worst case, two weeks. So overall, 4-6 weeks of bow manufacture for a longbow. Tano's willing to do it as long as he gets fed, and would negotiate for a further 4-6 weeks of food to make a longbow of his own.

    On a completely different note: a rapier?? I didn't expect that at all. Too bad I can't use it at the same time I'm 60 feet away with the shortbow...
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-02-24 at 06:30 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    Maria

    She uses the same strategy she did last week, exploring as deeply as she can into the forest while foraging. This week, she's looking specifically for a cave, though she wouldn't ignore something else of interest. Her survival check for the foraging she engages in while exploring is 12, taking 10.


    In response to Maria's question, Gil shrugs his shoulders. He writes quickly, haphazardly in the sand "Gil", and says his name. "Island's too quiet". He takes a sidelong glance at the rest of the group on the beach, and then begins to walk with Maria into the woods.

    Gil will spend this week as he did the last, accompanying the huntress while she forages. Similar to last week, Gil assist(+2) Maria's search for food or materials, and also look for telltales of intelligent life and suitable shelter.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "Spot" - (d20+1)[18]
    "Listen" - (d20-1)[18]
    Survival: Assist Maria


    As Gil cannot directly vocalize danger and a whistle is hardly fair warning, he will not take any watch. There is no replacement for a good night's sleep.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Pardon me. Gil will attempt to "assist survival" - (d20-1)[2] Maria

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    Imbrallius
    "I've compiled this list, Master Greybeard. It seems we're doing alright for food consumption. I'm of the opinion we need to devote more time to resource gathering in order to build a shelter. I'm no woodcutter, easily the slowest of the three that we have gathering wood. Perhaps we should propose some sort of plan in a bit more formal. We've been here a week, and I don't want our excess food supplies to attract any predators. And we need to decide on the living arrangements now. Ideally, we'll need a place for Mara to work, bless her, so that a disease, if it breaks out, will not spread."
    "I agrree, master Imbrrallius, on everry count," answers Ovias, "Thank you forr yourr diligence. If I have anything to say on the matter, Mara will get a place to use as infirrmerry, and I have my own plans for Zavulon and me to prractice ourr crraft, and even morre... but all that will come laterr, when the immediate urrgent needs arre taken carre of."

    "And yes, we need to step up the gatherring of rresourrces. I see if I can get someone to help me, although ourr prriorrity would be to find the campsite, and I am rreluctant to drraw any people frrom that task. That said, maybe Gil will be willing to help me with my collection of building stones. His strrength will be put to betterr use than by trrying to hunt"

    "Finally, I see you have made a note about spoilage. My salt stones arre prroducing a lot of salt, but if we need morre, they werre not harrd to build, so I can build some morre in my frree afternoon time. I would rrecommend we eat all vegetables everry week, and salt fish and meat that we don't need immediately."


    OOC: smartaleq, even if you'd rather collect food than resources, you should be able to use trapmaking instead of survival, sort of like we can use fishing or hunting instead of it, and that should improve your numbers quite a bit.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-02-25 at 04:23 PM.
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    OOC:

    Yes, Tano, you can use the bow in the Piggy Hunt quest.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    OOC: In light of current events in the shipwreck thread, I just want to officially note that during the time Mara is not gathering food or herbs and is not accompanying the hunting party, she is providing long-term care for injured members of the group (Heal 10+8).
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Tano

    As the morning grouping broke up, Tano spotted a barrel washing ashore. Walking down to the surf to recover it, he was knocked flat by its weight. Sputtering and standing up, he made another attempt, braced this time. He found it nearly impossible to lift, and so timed rolling it up the beach with the waves. Once beyond the tug of the retreating water, he waved up the beach for some help to move the barrel inland to the camp. Once there, he found Imbrallius so it could be properly inventoried. As the trove was withdrawn item by item, Tano asked, "Imbrallius, do you think it would be all right if I claimed the mug and a small piece of that soap?"

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
    OOC:

    Yes, Tano, you can use the bow in the Piggy Hunt quest.
    OOC: Woo hoo! Let me get over there right away...
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-02-25 at 07:21 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    OOC: smartaleq, even if you'd rather collect food than resources, you should be able to use trapmaking instead of survival, sort of like we can use fishing or hunting instead of it, and that should improve your numbers quite a bit.
    At the suggestion that he might help haul stones, Gil stifles a giggle. He waves his arm across the beach, then points to the make-shift dwelling. He then points inland with some insistence. Realizing no-one understands, Gil begins to gets flustered. He sits down, takes a drink from one of the buried passenger's clay mugs. He calls the dwarf over and begins to draw a picture.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gil first draws two large, concentric circles, and marks one spot with an X, showing the groups location on the beach of the island. He then draws a house near the X, and a stack of circles(rocks, most likely). In the middle of the circle he draws a stick figure with a spear, a question mark, and a house. He points to Grey, and to the rocks and house on the beach. He then points to himself, and then the question mark, figure, and house in the center.

    Satisfied you understand his priorities, he gets up to return to his work. Its evident he is relieved to get that off his chest.


    OOC to Grey:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rocks moved now may have to be moved again! As for trapping, I'd rather be more mobile, and spend time looking for bigger dangers, we have people handling food and shelter fairly well. We don't have much in the way of exploration - and if there is the possibility of a first contact with natives/sentient evil I'd like to see it sooner rather than later.

    Also, could we (everyone) use spoiler tags for directed OOC, and things that might generate meta-knowledge. I'd appreciate it.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Spoiler
    Show


    Also, could we (everyone) use spoiler tags for directed OOC, and things that might generate meta-knowledge. I'd appreciate it.

    Good idea.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Imbrallius

    Imbrallius properly calculated everything into his list. "No assignments of anything until we have someone in charge of resources, and for that, we need a leader or a temporary appointment. I'm sorry, please wait until tonight."

    The clerk then turns to Imbrallius. "Very well then. I will keep these lists updated until I run out of parchment. Then I suppose I shall simply commit them to memory. At the meeting tonight I am going to propose someone take the task of quartermaster. I believe you would be well-suited for the role, if you would accept it."
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-02-25 at 10:10 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    The hunters have explored the area surrounding your camp but they haven't found any caves, at least not within a half mile radius of the camp. Just seemingly endless expanses of forest.

    Maria, however, makes an interesting find while exploring the forest. Atop a small treeless hillock, she discovers a circle of stones about 5' in diameter. Inside the stone circle, she sees burnt wooden objects and bones... not animal bones... human bones?

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Shademan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    raiding wales!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Zavuon wakes up late. His wound are healing nicely but now he have a big scar where the squid bit him. (1d20-1)[0] with his rather crappy fishing skills he tries each day to get something to eat from the ocean.
    Zavulon generally helps around whenever its needed and spends his spare time searching for alloy (again)
    (1d20+1)[9] <search. or: (1d20-1)[19] <survival
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.


    The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

    on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
    The hunters have explored the area surrounding your camp but they haven't found any caves, at least not within a half mile radius of the camp. Just seemingly endless expanses of forest.

    Maria, however, makes an interesting find while exploring the forest. Atop a small treeless hillock, she discovers a circle of stones about 5' in diameter. Inside the stone circle, she sees burnt wooden objects and bones... not animal bones... human bones?
    Gil, who has been accompanying Maria daily, will scan the woods, looking for anything moving or alive "spot" - (d20+1)[13]. Then will very carefully search(with net readied) the woods around the circle, and then the circle itself. Take 20+0 on search, with synergy for finding traps.

    If un-eventful, Gil will attempt to ascertain how long since the fire was lit, or help Maria do the same. ("Assist Survival" - (d20-1)[15])


    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, can we get a separate thread for the meeting - set it up Himmerhardt - and lets try to get discussion along quickly, deadline is Wednesday. When the thread is up, I'll post which characters I support/oppose the housing ideas of, and who I support for leadership position. I recommend others do the same, so that a consensus can be reached asap.

    Edit: Made it myself - Meeting Thread
    Last edited by smartaleq; 2008-02-26 at 12:38 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jagadaishio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Maria

    As Gil looks around the hillock for any traps or people, Maria begins examining the area more closely. She tries to see how long ago the fire pit was last lit Survival - (1d20+2)[15] and makes a long search around the hill, focusing on the area around the fire pit, to see if she can find any viable tracks (taking 20, result of 21).
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    No fresh tracks can be found near the stone circle. No traps either. The fire was lit at least two weeks ago, could 1-4 months even.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    I'd like to carefully examine the bones, respectfully, in order to make a guess at the age/sex/species of the victim. (take 10 against INT/Knowledge check)

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Tano

    When Tano heard about the "fire pit", he resolved to explore it when he finished his work for the day. Late in the afternoon, he found himself atop the hill, poking about, wondering if perhaps this had been a funeral pyre.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+3)[7] (+2 for Elf, +1 for INT)
    The roller hates me today, I see.
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-02-26 at 05:59 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Tano

    Dissatisfied with his initial cursory examination, Tano took some time and thoroughly searched the area.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 this time, for a total result of 23.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Tano and others examining the stone circle and the burnt objects and bones inside which notice that the stones bear inscriptions of some kind (You may try to read them if you know languages other than Common, Elven, Dwarven or Halfling).

    Some of the bones are long enough to be femurs of adult humans, but it is impossible to tell whether they belonged to humans or some other race with similar bodily proportions. The wooden objects appear to be crude art objects, blocks of wood carved into animal shapes: snakes, alligators and other marshland creatures, and one of them looks like a human-lizard hybrid.

    OOC:

    And a map, finally!

    HTML Code:
    ----???ttttt^--
    ----.tttttt.---
    -----.tttt.----
    ------..tt.----
    --------..-----
    ---------------
    
    - ocean
    . beach
    t forest
    ^ cliffs or other rocky terrain
    Important locations:

    HTML Code:
    ----???tttot^--
    ----.ttt+tt.---
    -----.tttt.----
    ------..tt.----
    --------.,-----
    ---------------
    
    , camp
    + pond
    o stone circle

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Based on the desires expressed at the meeting, Gil will suggest to Maria that we next attempt to explore near the cliffs east of the fire circle.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jagadaishio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smartaleq View Post
    Based on the desires expressed at the meeting, Gil will suggest to Maria that we next attempt to explore near the cliffs east of the fire circle.
    Maria

    Maria agrees that they should try east next. She also tries to read the stones. She speaks Common and Sylvan.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

    Epswitch

    Epswitch and his flock of chickens continue to live near the pond during the week at the small makeshift tent he setup. For the first couple nights he helps out on watch, but when he realizes that everyone is staying on the beach and that he isn't getting watched while he sleeps, he drops out of the arrangement by simply not showing up one night.

    When the team gathers to do the pig hunt, he joins in, having turned over his nesting chickens to Larry for the day while he was gone.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

    www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •