New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

Flashback Sequence to the Successful Return from the Shipwreck Quest

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias helps the rest of gorup pull the boat onto the beach. He and the others had to take turns swimming on the sides, since the boat was full of the recovered goods, and was even trailing a makeshift raft with some more things. Although they were all fairly exhausted from the diving, and had managed to scrape themselves here and there, the only person seriously hurt was Zavulon, having been bitten by a squid that had made its nest in the hold. The squid was now dead thanks to the excellent morningstar work by Eric.

Ovias looks around and locates Imbrallius, and walks up to him to let him know the list of useful objects recovered:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Signet ring
    • A wooden box sealed with wax
    • A scroll case
    • Beautifully crafted rapier
    • Courtier's outfit
    • 5 dresses (2 x blue, pink, green, white)
    • 2 fresh water barrels that seem to be intact.
    • 3 small barrels of bee
    • A crate full of rations (50).
    • Hooded lantern
    • A small barrel of oil (6 pints)
    • Handaxe
    • Leather pouch (full of coins)
    • Coil of rope (50')
    • Saw
    • Wooden planks
    • Small wooden box full of iron nails
    • Hammer
    • Bell
    • Bottle of wine
    • 6 candles
    • Clay jug
    • 8 clay tankards
    • Iron pot
    • Sack of potatoes
    • Rusty dagger
    • 35 sp in a leather pouch
    • Small steel mirror
    • 1 lb. of soap
    • Waterskin
    • Sewing needle
    • Spool of thread
    • Brass horn
    • Ship sails, rope
    • Small barrel of ale
    • 2 bedrolls
    • case of 10 crossbow bolts
    • silver necklace
    • bucket
    • soap (2 lb.)
    • mops, brushes, etc.
    • bottle of rum
    • Set of kitchen knives
    • Wooden crate with 6 bottles of red wine
    • Iron pot
    • 12 clay jugs
    • Scale, merchant's

He then announces loudly to the group,
    "These things will be added to the common goods, just like that we rrecoverred on the firrst day. Howeverr, therre is news to tell that we found out in the ship. We found the captain dead, not by firre but frrom a blade wound to the chest. It seems he was murrderred. We have also found fairrly good evidence that the firre in the hold was intentional, since we found several barrels of lamp oil that can still be recognized as such open, their lids missing or discarded on the floor. We have not found the bodies of the firrst mate orr the captain's daughterr, and once we have rrested I would like to hearr frrom Rroostin what he can tell us about both.

Also, we found an excellent rrapierr with the captain. Unless someone demonstrrates competence with it and would like to lay claim, I would rrecommend it is given to Masterr Currunda, since I know that all elves arre naturraly prroficient with such weapons, and thus will be the one to put it to its best possible use. As farr as I am concerrned, it is up to him to use it orr trrain anotherr in its use.

Finally, we have found a box sealed in wax, that we darred not open while at sea. As soon as we drry, we will open it."

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Open the sealed box
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-02-27 at 06:35 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Imbrallius

The clerk was surprised that so much could be recovered from the shipwreck. He added the things to the list. He was also getting prepared to move the campsite to the pond, at least temporarily, until they could find more permanent lodging. He made sure he and his quill were ready for when Ovias opened the box.

-At another time-

The halfling had missed his shift. Since the clerk was supposed to be the one standing on watch with him, it made him rather apprehensive. He dares not leave his post, but when his shift is over, he finds Epswitch.

"You didn't stand watch this morning. Is something the matter?"

3. - Top - End - #183

Tano

Having finished his thorough examination of the hill top, a thought occurred to Tano, and he took a good look around standing on the tallest stone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on a Spot check to see what can see the hill (i.e. any settlements or caves, etc.). Total result: 26.

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, we found an excellent rrapierr with the captain. Unless someone demonstrrates competence with it and would like to lay claim, I would rrecommend it is given to Masterr Currunda, since I know that all elves arre naturraly prroficient with such weapons, and thus will be the one to put it to its best possible use. As farr as I am concerrned, it is up to him to use it orr trrain anotherr in its use...[/COLOR]
    Tano

Tano blushed slightly when Ovias mentioned elves being "naturally proficient" with swords. "Ah, I wouldn't say 'naturally', exactly Master Greybeard. It took me decades to satisfy my mother in that regard," he said with a rueful smile.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

He then announces loudly to the group,
    "These things will be added to the common goods, just like that we rrecoverred on the firrst day. Howeverr, therre is news to tell that we found out in the ship. We found the captain dead, not by firre but frrom a blade wound to the chest. It seems he was murrderred. We have also found fairrly good evidence that the firre in the hold was intentional, since we found several barrels of lamp oil that can still be recognized as such open, their lids missing or discarded on the floor. We have not found the bodies of the firrst mate orr the captain's daughterr, and once we have rrested I would like to hearr frrom Rroostin what he can tell us about both.

Also, we found an excellent rrapierr with the captain. Unless someone demonstrrates competence with it and would like to lay claim, I would rrecommend it is given to Masterr Currunda, since I know that all elves arre naturraly prroficient with such weapons, and thus will be the one to put it to its best possible use. As farr as I am concerrned, it is up to him to use it orr trrain anotherr in its use.

Finally, we have found a box sealed in wax, that we darred not open while at sea. As soon as we drry, we will open it."
    [spoiler] (OOC) If this occurred during the first several hours after the shipwreck, please disregard Janson's roleplay, as he was washed ashore at least a mile from the beach where this is taking place.

(IC) Silent until now, Janson steps forward and speaks.

This changes our situation not at all, but the question of why the ship went down is now much more complicated. Perhaps those responsible for our plight have already found a watery grave, but it is possible, however slight, that the captain's killer is either among us or somewhere on this island.

Perhaps the waxed box will shed some light on the cause of our predicament. If it doesn't, I believe we should closely examine the events leading up to the ship's disasterous fire. I would be glad to coax memories from each of us in order to put together a plausable narrative and perhaps a find some answers.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

"oh great, talk!" Zavulon murmured to himself "prolly gonna be a huge debat and stuff... the green side of me do not approve." mumbling to himself, he went to look over his stuff in his sack. nothing missing? good. "HEY! SOMEONE GOT SOME SPARE CLOTH!? I NEED IT FOR MY BLOOD!" Zavulon shouted and pointed to his wound " ... and where is my pants? "
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ovias opens the box. It's a healer's kit!

From the highest point on the hillock, Tano observes the surrounding area. Trees, trees and trees in all directions and cliffs to the east. He can see bigger hills looming in the northeast.

Maria tries to read the writing on the stones, but it is not Sylvan.

8. - Top - End - #188

Tano

Before leaving the hill, Tano did his best to obscure the fact it had been disturbed, and especially any tracks leading to or from it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, Tano moves at half speed on his way back to the camp. That should be good for a +5 DC to any natives that want to track us back from the hill, since it doesn't seem to require any skill to hide a trail.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazing through the retreived materials, he picks and admires anything he thinks he could use. He runs his finger along the blade of the kitchen knives, firm enough to feel how sharp they are, but lightly enough not to cut himself.
    Putting the knives down he picks up the axe, It was fairly small, wouldn't do too well for woodcutting or the like, although not much use for a hunter either since all weapons need some measure or skill to use. He then mockingly admires the dress, holding the pink one up to himself with a chuckle before putting it back. He then settles on adding the rack of bolts to his belt clip, Hopefuly he would soon get a crossbow made, they were fairly simple if you knew how to they worked and he had taken his to bits several times over.

Action: Take the Pack of 10 bolts (Unless somone objects)
    Last edited by Yeril; 2008-02-28 at 06:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

In the morning, when the clerk came up to the lake to Epswitch's tent, Epswitch was up in the trees checking the chicken roosts. Once it became obvious that the clerk intended to talk to Epswitch, he climbed down. After being questioned by the clerk, Epswitch says, "What do I get out of this watch? With the majority of you down at the beach, I don't benefit from everyone else's watch shifts at all. It is also a bit of a hassle, not to mention a trival hazardous to walk all the way down there in the dead of night. Its not like halflings can see in the dark like the elves. I'm asked to risk myself for others when they don't do the same in return. That does not sound like a fair trade to me. If the group wishes to pay me to stand watch... I might consider that."

The next time Epswitch is down at the beach he finds all the community goods, which, after watching how people interact with them, he determines means you take what you want. Not having much in the way of wants, Epswitch is content to simply recover any goods which we actually his. Prior to the trip, when he heard that his cargo would be mixed with everyone elses, he marked everything he was to bring with his symbol. Now, it was simply a matter of checking to see if his mark was carved into this stuff.

{{ Maybe the storyteller can tell me what out of this stuff had been part of Epswitch's gear. That way I can update my character sheet too. }}
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-02-28 at 07:22 AM.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

11. - Top - End - #191

Devil

Imbrallius

"Oh, so you just decided to stop. Not tell anyone? This isn't how disputes are settled, what if something happened on the shift you decided just not to show up to?"

Also, Imbrallius monitors common goods closely. Common good things usually mean use it if you need it and return it. If Epswitch is taking something, he will have to deal with the clerk.
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-02-28 at 09:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lawful_evil View Post
    Epswitch
    {{ Maybe the storyteller can tell me what out of this stuff had been part of Epswitch's gear. That way I can update my character sheet too. }}
    All the stuff on the list was previously owned by NPCs who are now dead. They're now considered common goods; deal with the clerk like Sicarius said. Or steal what you need when the clerk is not watching.

13. - Top - End - #193

Devil

Actually, he said he was only taking stuff that was marked as his. Unless he's gravitating upwards, I think all is cool.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    Imbrallius

"Oh, so you just decided to stop. Not tell anyone? This isn't how disputes are settled, what if something happened on the shift you decided just not to show up to?"

Also, Imbrallius monitors common goods closely. Common good things usually mean use it if you need it and return it. If Epswitch is taking something, he will have to deal with the clerk.
    Seeing this discussion going on, Gil Gil approaches the two and listens.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Imbrallius

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Ovias, surprised at Imbrallius' unusually angry tone of voice, draws close in time to hear his words. Incensed, he adds
    "So that is why you werre not at watch when we awoke this morrning! Arre you completely daft? Was therre no time forr you to let us know yesterrday? Is therre anything even rremotely rresembling a rreason in that head of yourrs that justifies brreaking yourr volunteerrred commitment to watch duty? You need not have volunteerred, and you certainly should not have stopped without letting us know!"

Getting furious at the stupidity of the halfling, Ovias puts his hand on his club - the only thing stopping hims from charging the little idiot is the deep-based belief in the rules and laws, knowing it is not his place to judge. Reciting his patience mantra, he manages to relax somewhat, but continues to watch the halfling, no longer trusting him at all.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Zavulon pops up behind Grey and whisper " if yeh want me to beat some respect into that little mutton id gladly do it." Zavulon chuckles to himself
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

on M&B:
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shademan View Post
    Zavulon pops up behind Grey and whisper " if yeh want me to beat some respect into that little mutton id gladly do it." Zavulon chuckles to himself
    <Friends do not let friends become murderers, Zav,> Ovias answers in dwarfish. He can tell, however, he did mean it at least partly in jest, and the thought brings a slight smile to his left face <For all he complains about the strict rules of my people, I wonder if the little tyke realises that they are the only ones keeping him from becoming even shorter?>

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Zavulon grins back to the dwarf <didnt mean to kill him... much... hehe!> he scratches his chin which is starting to get beard. <little shrimp should be more thankful...> Zavulon suddenly stares off into the distance and seems to be thinking. hard. < i need a forge...> he sighs.

on M&B:

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

"oh great, talk!" Zavulon murmured to himself "prolly gonna be a huge debat and stuff... the green side of me do not approve." mumbling to himself, he went to look over his stuff in his sack. nothing missing? good. "HEY! SOMEONE GOT SOME SPARE CLOTH!? I NEED IT FOR MY BLOOD!" Zavulon shouted and pointed to his wound " ... and where is my pants? "
    Mara Herbswife

Hearing Zavulon's shout, Mara leaves the group clustered around the newly recovered goods to inspect his wound.

"The salt water seems to have cleaned your wound adequately," she tells him. "Let me see if I can persuade Master Imbrallius to give me some of the spare clothes to use as bandages.

{{OOC: I'll assume the clerk agrees to this request.}}

<Friends do not let friends become murderers, Zav,> Ovias answers in dwarfish. He can tell, however, he did mean it at least partly in jest, and the thought brings a slight smile to his left face <For all he complains about the strict rules of my people, I wonder if the little tyke realises that they are the only ones keeping him from becoming even shorter?>
    <And friends also do not let friends walk around with large wounds,> put in Mara teasingly as she came up behind the pair. Beginning to wrap Zavulon's wound in strips of cloth cut from the extra clothing she carried, she continued, <Ignore the pest; such as he are never satisfied with their lot. They feel that the world owes them a debt, so they need not do anything which does not please them.>
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-28 at 03:58 PM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

<oh the world owe him something allright. a good spanking. some manners and respect is what he need.> Zavulon mumbles something about squids as Mara applied the bandages. <Grey, what do you think? a forge is not impossible? you could make a anvil out of stone and we could re-inforce it with iron later!>

on M&B:

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    Mara Herbswife<And friends also do not let friends walk around with large wounds,> put in Mara teasingly as she came up behind the pair. Beginning to wrap Zavulon's wound in strips of cloth cut from the extra clothing she carried, she continued, <Ignore the pest; such as he are never satisfied with their lot. They feel that the world owes them a debt, so they need not do anything which does not please them.>
    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard

<Well, friend Mara, what did you expect? It was too wet for dwarven medicine - a red hot iron to the wound!> Ovias answered, this time smiling broadly to show he was, of course, kidding. Turning more serious, and not keeping his eyes away from the halfling, he adds, <Things got dangerous down there. I am glad it was not worse than a squid. We are woefully unprepared for trouble. All we have is numbers, and those are only enough if you are not the one in the front line soaking the damage. You are right, Zav. We need forges. But we need walls and ceilings first. We can build a decent punding surface from the stronger rocks - no need for iron, even. And klins will get us by for melting. We may have to forge bronze at first, though. As good as steel, if done properly, but lasts far less. We should be able to at least provide the elf with arrow heads>
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-02-28 at 04:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Zavulon rubbed his hands eagerly <no, not really. we could make a simple, yet efficient "open" forge. Dad told me about them. they used them in some countries that were to hot to work indoors or something like that.> he started to walk back and forth as he spoke < infact, i think all we need is some decent stone, more stone, and bellows. we have a carpenter, right? and leather? then we can make bellows.> Zavulon displayed all his fangs in a large grin < we only lack ore!> Zavulon stopped and looked dreamingly into the forest.

what Zavulon have in mind. ignore everythin but the forge itself:
    Spoiler
    Show

on M&B:

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

{{ I really doubt any of you 'overheard' anything as you were down at the beach. Imbrallius may have told people, but you certainly didn't overhear anything.}}

Still near the lake at the area that Epswitch allows chickens to roost, Epswitch continued to tend to his flock while talking to Imbrallius. Once Imbrallius spits out his words, there is a crackle in the bushes as Gil approaches. Epswitch readies his sling in case it is a wild animal. Eventually the sound gets close enough that Gil emerges.

Epswitch says to Imbrallius, you'll have to excuse me, I have business to do. With a friendly smile, Epswitch says to Imbrallius, "Please excuse me, I have business to attend to." Turning to the newcomer, Epswitch says, "Welcome Gil. Come to trade for some eggs? What do you have to trade?"
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

24. - Top - End - #204

{{OOC: At this point the conversation could be happening independently anyway, so I'm not going to treat it any differently. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency though, Lawful_Evil.}}

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard

<Well, friend Mara, what did you expect? It was too wet for dwarven medicine - a red hot iron to the wound!> Ovias answered, this time smiling broadly to show he was, of course, kidding. Turning more serious, and not keeping his eyes away from the halfling, he adds, <Things got dangerous down there. I am glad it was not worse than a squid. We are woefully unprepared for trouble. All we have is numbers, and those are only enough if you are not the one in the front line soaking the damage. You are right, Zav. We need forges. But we need walls and ceilings first. We can build a decent punding surface from the stronger rocks - no need for iron, even. And klins will get us by for melting. We may have to forge bronze at first, though. As good as steel, if done properly, but lasts far less. We should be able to at least provide the elf with arrow heads>
    Mara Herbswife

<I'm sure you'll manage something once we are better established here,> said Mara confidently, tying off the last of the bandages. Addressing the recipient of her care she continued, <I expect to see you at least once a day until this wound closes completely, but for now I'd best go back and help Master Imbrallius inventory the items you salvaged.>
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

Gil shrugs, showing one hand holding a mug. He grins and goes to fill it at the clear pond, then takes a seat under a tree, ignoring both the clerk and the halfling.

OOC: scratch that, epswitch: this conversation is on the beach when you come to collect supplies -

I'm still there, standing next to the two, listening and generally ignoring Grey.
    Last edited by smartaleq; 2008-02-28 at 04:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"yes yes, offcourse" Zavulon said, but seemed very absent. "have anyone found any mountains or marshes yet?" he ask Grey " 'cus that would be the best places to find iron!"

on M&B:

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shademan View Post
    "yes yes, offcourse" Zavulon said, but seemed very absent. "have anyone found any mountains or marshes yet?" he ask Grey " 'cus that would be the best places to find iron!"
    <Not that I have heard of. I believe there are some cliffs to the east, but in my experience, they are more like to be chalk or some other soft material than solid rock. And no marshes - but we have heard of no river to the pond, so there must be subterranean rivers feeding it - if those rivers are close to the surface at any point, it should be marshy. I have been looking for ores myself, but have had no more luck than you. Unfortunately, it cannot be our priority at this point, or I'd gladly go with you in search of metals>

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    sorry, I assumed you were talked to when you came to check out the salvaged items. Instead, I was told earlier and confronted you when you came to the items. Hardly a major discontinuity

28. - Top - End - #208

Devil

Imbrallius

The clerk responds with a smile just as friendly. "It seems not." Imbrallius appears to be checking something in his head. "Now, I do not wish to cause any further infighting. I wish you would rethink your decision, but if you are so mercenary in your beliefs, I will not force you to be a member of the group. I'd wish that you would rethink your opinion and work for the good of the society." Imbrallius then turns to leave.

For Gil
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is that mug from the common pile? If so, please state so when I return to the camp, although it won't be until after Imbrallius does his next inventory (doing so at least twice a day) before he will act on it.

29. - Top - End - #209

Imbrallius

For Gil
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is that mug from the common pile? If so, please state so when I return to the camp, although it won't be until after Imbrallius does his next inventory (doing so at least twice a day) before he will act on it.
    OOC: I removed that action, but yes, I do have a mug I picked up off the original PC deaths at the beginning. Should probably be removed from stock count, didn't think to keep such careful track - but you're the clerk for a reason!

30. - Top - End - #210

((Just thought that I would remind the DM this, but Gil and I are going to explore the hills to the east after the discovery of the hill.))
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------