New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shademan View Post
    OOC: well if we're gonna make REAL walls we'l need quite a number of felled trees and alot of stone. i suspect that if everyone worked hard all week we could maybe get a very decent barricade in two weeks.
    {{OOC: Yes, but the question is still "where do we put it?" A cave or clearing would be best, we haven't found one unless you count the shrine to Bal-ze-bal.}}

Edit: Wow, double ninja'd!
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-29 at 06:01 PM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Imbrallius

"They trusted you to watch them as they slept and you betrayed them. We doubled the shift to double the chances of spotting an interloper. You halved that chance through your own actions. That is a effect, Master Shortoe."

"Do you think these are miracle potatoes? We've scarcely been here two weeks, and we've not had the chance to look for proper soil for farming. Potatoes must be cared for, else they shan't bear much."

"I don't have time to barter now. Compile a list of what you're willing to trade for and what you're willing to trade with, and I'll look it over when I have time."
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-02-29 at 06:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    {{OOC: Yes, but the question is still "where do we put it?" A cave or clearing would be best, we haven't found one unless you count the shrine to Bal-ze-bal.}}

Edit: Wow, double ninja'd!
    OOC:
    indeed. we should organize some cave-search teams.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Ben, this info bridges from before meeting to after meeting, if you want me to take you to the circle, you'll find me at the pond, not the beach - alternatively, you could replace my name with Tano there and go with him. I'm trying to stay temporal here.

((Changed "looking around" to "going to the pond" so I could still talk to Gil, Ben trusts humans more than elves))

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

Epswitch shakes his head and says, "You simply wish to avoid the blame yourself Imbrallius. You should have woken a replacement, but you chose not to. It is you who lowered the odds of detecting something that didn't happen."

Epswitch again adds, "I would not waste what little paper and ink exists on this island building a list of things that I might trade for other things. I know that you do nothing besides sit and guard the pile, so pretending you are busy won't get rid of me."

Epswitch says, "We will never know how good the soil is so long as you leave the potato in the sack. There seems to be an abundant amount of foliage around, which suggests the soil is fertile. I certainly don't plan to plant them on the beach, but I will be watching them. Because I will have bought them, I will have a personal interest in seeing them grow and succeed. Unlike your community which chooses to waste them and let them rot."
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Joseph returns after the evenings work, leaving a handful of hares with whoever is at the cookpot at the time, and retires to the makeshift shelter to get some rest after the long day.

7. - Top - End - #247

Devil

Imbrallius

"So abandoning your duty absolves you of blame. I'm glad we don't base any legal systems around your babbling. I showed up to fulfill my duty, you were the one who did nothing.

Imbrallius brushes off the halfling. "Spoken like a man who knows nothing about this community or of planting. Waste something else if you don't know about soil. I've already told you, I don't see any value in trading your eggs for our potatoes. I will talk to the others if someone wants your eggs. Right now, no deal. Good day."
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-02-29 at 07:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

Epswitch shakes his head and says, "You are just being stubborn. You know you are wasting what the community has, but are too scared to make a decision. Take the eggs, hand me a single potato and walk away."

I don't wish to plant crops yeah greedy old man, I simply want to supplement my diet of bread, cheese, meat, and eggs.

Epswitch waits for his response. If this old man won't trade, I'll just find someone who will.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

9. - Top - End - #249

Mara Herbswife

Mara, returning from an afternoon of gathering edible plants, approaches the supply pile in time to catch the halfling's last remark.

Quote Originally Posted by lawful_evil View Post
    Epswitch

Epswitch shakes his head and says, "You are just being stubborn. You know you are wasting what the community has, but are too scared to make a decision. Take the eggs, hand me a single potato and walk away."

I don't wish to plant crops yeah greedy old man, I simply want to supplement my diet of bread, cheese, meat, and eggs.

Epswitch waits for his response. If this old man won't trade, I'll just find someone who will.
    "Are those eggs fertilized, Master Shortoe?" she asked curiously. "If so, trading them for a single potato is more than generous. Even if they aren't it still seems you would be getting the short end of the bargain, offering so many. Master Imbrallius, surely we can spare one or two potatoes for the other camp's use. Make the trade. If any others raise objections I will take full responsibility," she added. Turning back to Epswitch she continued, "Has your camp a good supply of edible plants? If not, I can provide some of the fruits of my foraging."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250

Devil

Imbrallius

Imbrallius looks at Mara for a scant second. "Miss Herbswife, good to see you. Is that an official endorsement of his trade offer?"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Elias
    Returning to camp, Elias unloads a recent haul of foraged goods from his backpack. Lately he had taken to the task of gathering additional food to bulk the group's long term supply. One could never tell when disaster might strike and supplies would be needed. After checking in the recently gathered supplies with the clerk, he slings the now empty pack over his shoulder and returns to the forest to gather another haul.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the lack of posting everyone. If anyone needs help in a specific task let me know, and Elias will lend a hand. Otherwise, he'll continue gathering food.

Survival: 14 (Taking 10)
    Last edited by Fisher; 2008-03-01 at 12:33 AM.
    Old Avatar by Doran Liadon. Current Avatar from System Default

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    Imbrallius

Imbrallius looks at Mara for a scant second. "Miss Herbswife, good to see you. Is that an official endorsement of his trade offer?"
    Mara Herbswife

Mara sighed, biting back a sarcastic remark. Ever since the disastrous meeting, such comments had been coming to mind more and more often. "Yes, Imbrallius," she answered, keeping the annoyance from her tone. "Master Shortoe is being more than fair in his offer, and as I said, I will take full responsibility if someone later objects."
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Turning back to Ovias he said, "And how long will it take? Unless we know it truly is faster than building a ship, it's not the best option."
    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"If you can serriously think that a boat would take the same time as a palisade, therre is nothing morre forr me to say, elf. Enjoy yourr happy worrld, and may yourr death be swift when Balzabal's followrrs come looking forr the grroup," Turning away from the elf, Ovias notices a gathering of people around the common goods, including the small figure of Ipswitch which could only mean trouble

<I will do my best to build you a forge, Zav. My patience with this group is wearing out, though.>

He then walks down to the common goods and asks Imbrallius for an update on the situation. Being briefed on the request for potatoes, and the price offer, and Mara's position, he answers,
    "I disagrree, Mara. The potatoes have alrready been claimed by Farrmerr Erric, and since he was parrt of the grroup that found them, and risked his life and saved otherrs in doing so, he should be the one that decides what to do with them. This halfling knows not a thing about farrming, and neitherr do you orr me, but Erric can turrn a few potatoes to many. Also, we alrready have chickens of ourr own, and they arre also being brred by Harry, so we alrready have enough eggs, ferrtilised and not. I am with Maester Imbrrallius - this trrade is not fairr, and we should wait forr Erric to decide"
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

He then walks down to the common goods and asks Imbrallius for an update on the situation. Being briefed on the request for potatoes, and the price offer, and Mara's position, he answers,
    "I disagrree, Mara. The potatoes have alrready been claimed by Farrmerr Erric, and since he was parrt of the grroup that found them, and risked his life and saved otherrs in doing so, he should be the one that decides what to do with them. This halfling knows not a thing about farrming, and neitherr do you orr me, but Erric can turrn a few potatoes to many. Also, we alrready have chickens of ourr own, and they arre also being brred by Harry, so we alrready have enough eggs, ferrtilised and not. I am with Maester Imbrrallius - this trrade is not fairr, and we should wait forr Erric to decide"
    Mara Herbswife

"A reasonable argument, Master Greybeard," answered Mara, a bit stiffly. "Very well, I will defer to the good farmer's judgement." Turning to go she added, "Master Shortoe, my offer still stands. Let me know if you have need of fresh food besides eggs and meat."
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-03-01 at 04:28 AM.
    I started a blog!

My Player Profile

My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Epswitch

The halfling nods at the fat dwarf, Epswitch says to Mara, "Thank you for your support. If this Erric fellow has a legal claim to the potatoes I will deal with him instead." Perhaps he will be reasonable.

Turning completely away from the dwarf to Mara he says, "Thank you for the offer. I do not wish to deprive your community. I may be willing to trade for some or better yet for a little information. The undergrowth around the pond is quite thick and some of the bushes bear fruit, but I know not if any of them might be poisonous, so I have dared not try them."

Seeing nothing else of interest in the pile of community goods, Epswitch wanders off to find the Farrmerr Erric.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-03-01 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Add color

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Ovias heard Mara's tone and watched her go impasively, no longer surprised as he used to be by human acts. He was getting much better at prediction, and for the second time in the morning, he hated being right. Once he saw Ipswitch and mara leave, he turned to Imbrallius, making sure he could not be overheard by any others.
    For Imbrallius alone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Masterr Imbrrallius, I have been figurring out how to build a measurre of prrotection frrom the stone cirrcle people. I will need two weeks, and thrree helperrs (anyone that knows carpentrry or masonerry preferred), plus 15 units of wood and same amount of stone. I can starrt rright away with what rresources we have, but they will not last the prroject unless a few others gatherr morre. I may also need help forr clearring the underrbrush - maybe one or two, worrking just ahead of the builderrs"

"I have yet to decide on a place, but since the explorrerrs have not found anything, I think I'll see if Erric would come with me and explore a good farrm land, clearr out the underrbrrush and build therre. I am telling you this because it is clearr at this point that no-one will listen to what I say, and what few listen misconstrruct my worrds - hopefully they will listen to you. This is the last attempt I will do to helping the grroup, forr my patience wearrs thin - if not enough people carre enough forr the idea, I will leave the grroup, since it is clearr now that my prresence is unwanted."

"I'll be looking forr Erric. Do let me know what the grroup thinks of my idea, and if they arre willing to help build. Soon, if possible - I grrow wearry of the frruitless talk."

With that, Ovias leaves to start looking for Eric.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

\ oh you want a non-understandable word-fight? / Zavulon chuckled at the elf in orcish. He smiled and displayed his noce set of fangs
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

on M&B:
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

I call the potatoes. I can do so much with them...
    Failed at RAF hosting.

AMENite
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roles in WW games so far...
    Villager:7
    Mason:1
    Seer:0
    Fool:2
    Alpha:1
    Devil:0
    Wolf:5
    Other:1

Current games
    Stargate
    When Cicidians Cry
    Face Stealers
    Fatbelly 4

BRC killed my Pixe!! thankies dude!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie pixe View Post
    I call the potatoes. I can do so much with them...

"Ah, therre you arre, Erric!. Good to see you" says Ovias, "And verry glad you want those potatoes. Chips are nice, but most imporrtant I haven't had a decent drrink since my mead got salt-waterred in the shipwrreck. I seem to rrecall you had nice plans forr them. How about we take the afterrnoon to find somewherre you can plant them?"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

good plan there

i should be able to fix you up something soon, i still have all my equipment for this wonderful art.

((its for farming so it will be profesion right?

meh, i will take 20 anyway ))

total = 27

((that should find a nice place for me to plant crops))
    Last edited by Zombie pixe; 2008-03-01 at 10:43 AM.
    Failed at RAF hosting.

AMENite
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roles in WW games so far...
    Villager:7
    Mason:1
    Seer:0
    Fool:2
    Alpha:1
    Devil:0
    Wolf:5
    Other:1

Current games
    Stargate
    When Cicidians Cry
    Face Stealers
    Fatbelly 4

BRC killed my Pixe!! thankies dude!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: is it the next day yet, or still the same day?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Halfling in the Playground

Feln Zekor

Feln watches the chickens day-in and day-out. They squable over the feed, they gather and split in groups again and again, they occasionally take a dislike to one another, but it never lasts; birds have short memories after all. It reminds him a bit of the way the people around are acting, except that the people aren't always so quick to forgive. The halfling is like most runts, half the size but fighting four times harder for his share because of it. The healer acts like a mother to everyone, gently herding them to productive efforts. The dwarf has oddly grown even more gruff as his supply of stone grows, perhaps he is homesick? Idle musings such as these occupy his time throughout the week. Not given to make quick decisions, Feln still keeps an eye out for a chance to really help bring everyone together as a group. The main thing needed seems to be a central location for a more permanent camp. Some more useful animals to work with would be nice too.

At whatever point a group goes to check the cliffs Feln volunteers. He'll grab rope from the common store (to be returned on completion of exploration) and take 20 to secure the rope every 5ft if possible. He's hoping to use his good spot mod (+4) and general knowledge of guard operations to see a suitable site from the high ground. As a side objective, he's really hoping to find a nesting site for a predatory bird (falconry could be quite an asset to the group if he can be spared the time to properly raise/domesticate a bird). If eggs are there, he only takes one.

(I can't get on much this week, so he'll only tag along if someone else leads, Please make any necessary checks for me.)
    Last edited by journeyman; 2008-03-01 at 10:47 AM.
    I challenge the laws of nature and reason by summoning the power of destruction. EXIST

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie pixe View Post
    good plan there

i should be able to fix you up something soon, i still have all my equipment for this wonderful art.

((its for farming so it will be profesion right?

meh, i will take 20 anyway ))

total = 27

((that should find a nice place for me to plant crops))

Once Eric finds the place, Ovias examines the site for building potential. Takes his time too: architecture knowledge 20 + 4 = 24. He needs to know access routes, how difficult it would be to clear out the underbrush for farming and how far we are from both the treeline, the sea, the pond and the stone circle. He also examines the ground looking for underground water (i.e. building a well). Not sure the check involved there, but he's a dwarf examining his element, and taking 20. I assume he has some bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeril View Post
    OOC: is it the next day yet, or still the same day?
    OOC: I'm assuming it is the afternoon of the day after the meeting. Your mileage may vary

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

We need to find a place fairly away from the lake, mainly because other animals and natives may use it and we don't want to interfere too much.

Once we find a place, we should also try and push epswitch and co to move away from it, Im sure even if he is difficult he will bend to reason, aslong as you know, we don't have Mara, Ovias, or the clerk with the long name ask him.

Edit: Oops this was meant to be in the OOC thread..
    Last edited by Yeril; 2008-03-01 at 11:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265

eek Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

"If you can serriously think that a boat would take the same time as a palisade, therre is nothing morre forr me to say, elf. Enjoy yourr happy worrld, and may yourr death be swift when Balzabal's followrrs come looking forr the grroup," Turning away from the elf...
    "There is plenty for you to say, dwarf. Starting with how long it will take to build a palisade. Answer that question, then we can proceed with making an actual decision. I am neither a carpenter, a boat builder, nor willing to make a decision without information. Relinquishing the authority to make that decision is all that has been proposed in all the talk of 'leadership'," Tano replied.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, the only information we have in hand are the costs of a small house (2,000 gp) and a keelboat (3,000 gp), which are comparable. When we have the actual data on palisades and catamarans, we can make a real decision beyond deciding to leave it up to someone else to decide.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"There is plenty for you to say, dwarf. Starting with how long it will take to build a palisade. Answer that question, then we can proceed with making an actual decision. I am neither a carpenter, a boat builder, nor willing to make a decision without information. Relinquishing the authority to make that decision is all that has been proposed in all the talk of 'leadership'," Tano replied.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, the only information we have in hand are the costs of a small house (2,000 gp) and a keelboat (3,000 gp), which are comparable. When we have the actual data on palisades and catamarans, we can make a real decision beyond deciding to leave it up to someone else to decide.

Ovias turns just before leaving upon hearing those words and says "I, on the otherr hand, do have that inforrmation, but I am not going to sharre it anymorre. I am clearrly not apprreciated, norr arre my efforrts to help the grroup. If you need someone to spell the bleeding obvious forr you, yes, it will take less time to build basic forrtifications than any boat. Maybe the next time we talk you will show some rrespect forr those who have knowledge of what we speak. I have neverr darred give you lessons in how to build yourr bows, but you seems rready to counterrsay what I think about building."

OOC: This happens before I talk to Imbrallius. Next time, I won't bother jumping back in time, though - so please RP meeting Ovias wherever he has wandered in the mean time. This game is already confused enough without adding in more time travel.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-03-01 at 11:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267

Spoiler
    Show
    If you don't want time travel, then don't wander away without giving the other person a chance to respond.

Tano

"And now you admit you've been withholding information and won't share it unless we do what you say. That sounds like the human definition of leadership to a 'T' as they say," Tano shot back.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:

I've noticed that many of you want to boldly go where no commoner has gone before and explore the island... well, I've got good news for you! On week 3 that'll be your weekly challenge! You'll form small groups (preferably 3-4 groups of 3-6 characters) and choose a destination. That way you can try to find iron ore, falcon eggs, hostile cannibals or even Bal-ze-bal the blackspear! You may start planning already but I'll give you more instructions on Sunday.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: most excellent! ... was that a star trek quote? sort of? not that i watch star trek i just happen to know that one..

IC: Zavulon proclaims that he will will set out on a serious expedition to find ore. No big speeches given or anything, bluntly and straight. he will allow the anyone who think they can help to come with him. Specially Ovias.

on M&B:

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you don't want time travel, then don't wander away without giving the other person a chance to respond.

Tano

"And now you admit you've been withholding information and won't share it unless we do what you say. That sounds like the human definition of leadership to a 'T' as they say," Tano shot back.

"I admit to no such thing, elf," Ovias answers, "I am only witholding it frrom small brrained humanoids that will not listen even if I do tell them - which I did already, many times, in the beach, in the meeting and now herre morre than once. Nothing has got built, rregarrdless of whetherr I explain orr not, but at least by not explaining I get to save my brreath. I said I would not tell anyone what to do, and I have not, unlike you that keep demanding inforrmation so *you* - the one so oposed to being lorrded - can decide forr me what *I* should do. Who is being the clueless leaderr rrequirring the help of the actual worrkerrs? Who is giving out orrderrs, in fact?"