New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Trapped - Chapter 2 - Whatever Happened to the Children of Earth?

Wyndell Tendarri - Within the Tomb of Metal
    Medbay of the Chasing the Second Star

Wyndell stood there silently holding the vial of stims, staring after Matthias’s retreating form, even after the man had turned the corner and left his sight. The revelation that he was the Matthias Conway, jump-core developer and father of modern FTL mechanics, was simply more than Wyndell’s exhausted brain was capable of processing at the moment. So instead of trying to puzzle things out, he just pushed all thoughts, questions, and prior conversations on the subject out of his head for the time being. Instead, Wyndell turned his attention to the small vial that Matthias had pushed into his hand. Turning it over a few times, Wyndell did his best to try and read the unusually small print, but to no avail.

It didn’t really matter though, as he had seen enough of them in his days of long hours and little sleep to know what it probably was. A standard cocktail of ampakines and ephedrine derivatives. To pump you up without knocking you out. Wyndell had never really liked them at any rate. Yes they were supposed to be perfectly safe, and yes the latest pharmalogical engineers swore up and down that they didn’t make you crash, the fact of the matter was still that once the body was out of juice, it stops. That was the big problem Wyndell had with them, the inability to tell how tired he was. The more tired one was, the foggier your brain gets and the more mistakes you make. No stopping that. He had seen plenty of colleagues make such simple and rudimentary mistakes that had caused enormous problems in the long run, all because they had stimmed for too long. Although, there were often the outrageous deadlines being set by the oversight committee.

Wyndell gave his head a shake after realizing that his thoughts had been drifting, and that he had been staring at the illegible vial for what seemed way too long. At that moment, a soft beep followed by what could only be described as the sound of a small metal bell, sounded from the back corner of the bay. Rubbing his eyes and the bridge of his nose as he crossed the bay, Wyndell paused just long enough to ensure that Lydia was still breathing, before continuing into the back of the room. Arriving in front of the lens crafter, Wyndell popped open the first of two ‘pods’ that the machine had dispensed. Inside it were two tiny discs on a small black cushion. Smiling slightly to himself, Wyndell plucked the first of the lens from the cushion and deftly placed into his left eye with a speed and familiarity possible only with muscle memory. Just as quickly, the other lens followed. After a moment of holding his eyes shut, Wyndell sighed to himself. Along with designing the contacts to be ‘breathing’, enabling air to circulate near to the eye, but he had also included a selection for self moisturizing. The overall correction factor would not be completely accurate, but the trade out of comfort was more than worth it.

Opening his eyes, Wyndell was glad to see that almost everything was suddenly clearer. It seemed a very long time since he had managed to see anything this clearly, it almost made him feel a little safer. But what really made his smile grow was opening the second pod. Inside this one, again resting on a small black cushion was a single lens with a more rectangular shape to it. Also, there were a number of small brackets and tabs attached to it. Glancing around the area near the machine, a now much easier feat, Wyndell quickly found what he was looking for. Pulling a utility drawer open, Wyndell grabbed a frame bracket designed for head wear, and a length of micro wire. The lens snapped quickly and easily onto the front of the frame and the micro wire, intended for the connecting of medical equipment in the cramped quarters of a surgical table, would do perfectly for connecting the new HUD lens to his PCT.

Turning to the humble looking device which had become so much more in the last few hours, Wyndell suddenly became aware of what was being displayed on its screen. What could only be a bare bones schematic of the ship he was currently on, including the immediate surrounding are, was on screen. Even more interesting was the fact that numerous life signs were also being indicated. There was a massive amount of red dots, many of them in such close proximity to each other, that at times they seemed a single red blob. In Wyndell’s engineering experience, red typically meant something bad, but thankfully none of the red was inside the ship. A small handful of dots were colored green, and with a tap on the two inside the ship, he was only slightly surprised to see his and Lydia’s names pop up. That would mean that the dots in the passages not far from his location were likely Matthias, Giovanni, Thoft, and the other crewmember of the vessel. Then three other dots caught his eye. Double tapping on the three dots, the PCT view shifted and re-centered on them, scrolling as they made their way to the ship. Then the names appeared.

“Misty.”

Judging by their direction and speed, the group was headed for an upper airlock. On instinct, Wyndell rapidly connected the lens HUD to the PCT, before slinging the unit over his now customary shoulder. Without thinking, he also quickly pops two of the stims that he disdained so much. With a pause to once more glance at Lydia as he slides the HUD lens onto his head, Wyndell’s mind didn’t take long to justify his leaving. Striding out the door, snagging the emergency first aid kit off the wall as he went, Wyndell pulled the PCT up and began tapping away. In moments, the deck through his HUD had a green stripe running along the floor, guiding him along the shortest route to the upper airlock. Glancing up and to his right, Wyndell can also make out the location of Misty and the others, through his HUD, along with approximate distances from himself. Picking up the pace, Wyndell hustles towards and then up a nearby access ladder.

“C’mon guys, keep moving. Help is coming to meet you, just keep on comin’.”
    The light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

Wanna check out all the nifty Homebrews I've done? Click Here! Hurry!

Awarded the Bronze Donkey by Serpentine, for the Ass at the End of the Universe.

Come on in and give a shout out from where ever you are!!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Turning the last corner, Matthias nearly collides with the others as they make their own way from the airlock.

"Ah, there you are! Damn Gio, what the hell happened to your throat? Those zombies really mangled you! . . . They didn't bite you or anything did they?" Matthias asked, a note of caution creeping into his voice as he remembered watching more than one member of the released prisoners get turned into a zombie. Of course, it was generally stings from those wasps that did it, but zombie bites generally lend to the same result only much slower.

Realizing that they were probably in need of medical treatment, Matthis then stepped aside. "Please, follow me to the medical bay. I was just coming out to check on you guys. Did you seal the airlocks up? I believe the current plan is to make the ship spaceworthy again and then get off this rock before anything else happens. So, unless you guys need some help treating your own wounds, I think I'll be heading down to the engine room to see what repairs need to be made to this heap."

Upon seeing Thoft breaking away from the group to go secure the upper airlock, Matthias frowns and calls after him. "Wait! Do you want me to accompany you? Buddy system and all that."
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Caroline Walker- Repository for the Long Night (Upper Levels)

She couldn't help but feel at her face, both trying to keep her fingers away from her eyes —my eyes! Why can't I see—and unable to resist touching the edges of the sockets. Only the edges, after her first attempt to feel her eyes encountered only burnt flesh. Burnt flesh where her eyes should have been, where...

She realizes she can feel the PCT approaching (being carried, the rational part of her mind deduces), and has a semi-hysterical urge to pour out her shock into the PCT, which was the only thing she could tell that wasn't a person. Misty, Brother Human, and the other prisoner—they were people, and she couldn't bring herself to tell any of them how much this hurt just yet. Not the physical pain, but as Misty had half-led, half-followed her towards the ship (Caroline had known the way, but she couldn't see it), it had sunk into her that she was blind. Possibly, probably irreparably: a burn wound was very hard to treat with surgery, and cybernetics would do no good for cauterized nerve endings. The part of her that is still dispassionate (the calculating side, made of plastic, metal and silicon) tells her that the pain and the memory of that strange vision is affecting her thoughts, but she can't force out the feeling of loss. She explores the PCT desperately, the virtual equivalent of running her hands over something to make sure it was still there. The advantage she had always treasured over other humans was that she could "see" the inside of a computer, feeling it intimately. It wasn't real vision, but it provided awareness... and right now, it was the most acute sense left to her. She finds the security of not being helpless, at least there, comforting.

She barely hears the sound of someone approaching, or the subsequent profane ranting, but the heavy thump of something hitting the ground brings her senses back. "Misty. What was that?" she asks, feeling vulnerable. She hadn't felt like this earlier, when her vision was only cut off. That sealed what she already thought. It was shock that was hindering her, more than her new blindness. "Come on. We should keep going, if you can make it." She had enough presence of mind to recall Misty's wound, and the fact that it had been poisoned. "Someone on the inside's coming for us. One of our friends." Odd how easily she used that term. She had no idea which of them it was, didn't know most of them anyway, and friendship was probably another less-than-rational emotional bond, not something she wanted; she didn't have the time to think about that more now. But she was trying to convince Misty, and that was the shortest word.

Brother Human, we are here, she thinks finally. I think, I hope. I can't be sure.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-05-07 at 10:31 PM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thoft- Chamber of... meh, chilling with Matthias

Thoft swayed a bit at the offer of help.
    However, while he didn't know much about this man, he seemed that he could handle himself in a fight, and he was a bit more... perky?
    However, life and death situations throw people of different circumstances into allies, so how could Thoft trust him? He couldn't.

"Sure."

His head was pounding, and his steps got weaker and weaker. A shoulder to lean on was worth the mistrust. The buddy system sounded great. As this guy walked over to Thoft, Thoft steadied himself on the man's shoulder, and continued onwards.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Misty Reviere - Repository for the Long Night (Upper Levels)

Poison affecting her more and more every passing second, Misty still manages to register Caroline stoping almost in midtrack. Looking at her, she sees sweat dropping from her brow. Spoting something from the corner of her eye, she is pretty sure she doesn't want to know what this is. As she pulls Caroline after her, Caroline's mouth open and she hears words that are most definetly not hers:

”I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Holy Mother.”

But before she can ask Caroline what is the meaning of this, her eyes start glowing and seconds later... they just pop, like two over fresh oranges.

It would probably be an interesting look, if it wasn't for the sheer shock value of it. So big is the shock actually, that Misty's mouth just hang open as she looks at Caroline and what used to be her eyes. For precious few seconds, world once again comes down to a slow motion as Misty tries to reach for Caroline eyes with her left arm. But when nothing happens, the world comes back to it's normal state of affairs and Misty remembers on situation at hand.

The past day or so has been taxing on her. It would be on every normal human being. Waking up, finding that you're almost three millenia older than you were before, a big space bugs, crashing of space ship and now all this. Misty didn't knew where she was getting the energy from. Adrenaline can only keep one running so far and she was pretty sure that her adrenaline reserves were burned for whole month in advance. If this wasn't adrenaline, then what? Survival instinct? Sense of camaraderie? It didn't really matter. All Misty knew was that this wasn't only about her anymore. She needed to help Caroline and Janks. Not only because they helped her but because... it was the right thing to do. She didn't knew how she can be so sure about it, she just did. So she does her best to guide Caroline in her cripled state. When Caroline asks her what is happening she doesn't answer but just squeezes her hand harder. Few moments later, when Caroline prompts her to continue, Misty understands that she means the arrow wound.

"Don't worry about me, at the moment you have bigger problems. I'll make it!"

When she hears about one of friends coming for them, her eyes once again shine. Perhaps this whole ordeal is coming to and end and they can all get some much needed rest. At the sound of footsteps she turns and after seeing the vaguely familiar face of the native from before she just nods, more to herself than to him and continues running.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni Fiori

Matthias. Man am I glad to see you. He rubs his throat gently at the mention of his wounds Its not too bad, not like the knife I took before we landed, or the scratches before that. The damned thing just put a vice grip on my neck. I made sure i stayed away from the teeth though. He turns to head to the medical bay, using the memories that Thoft had transfered. If you want, go with thoft and seal the air locks. I can find the med bay, Thoft gave me directions. He reaches out to shake his hand, and pulls him to him in a quick hug, and whispers in his ear Be careful with this guy Matthias. He's got some sort of power. The man just touched me and i know the layout of the ship...He's seen my past i know, probably yours too. He releases him and starts to head to the med bay.

Go Tigers!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Narration #12 – Breathe Deeply and Relax

• Ramp Leading to Upper Port Airlock to Chasing the Second Star
      • The_Snark – Caroline Walker
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Eyeballs Burnt out of Sockets
          • Equipment:
            • Torn Prisoner Jumpsuit – The remains of a standard issue cyro-stasis prisoner jumpsuit. It preserves your modesty to the degree that the wearer desires, but offers no extra protection.
            • 2 Ancient Spheres of Knowledge – Devices from the era you now find yourself in, they seem to be a compact childlike AI and power source of incredible power, all in a device that fits comfortably in the palm of your hand. They appear to have a hive-mind mentality and can extend what can best be described at liquid metal connections that adjust to interface with anything that they come in contact with.
            • Emergency Medical Kit – This medical kit comes with basic bandages, medications, various devices and a compact scanner used to help treat people.
            • 2mm Semi-Automatic Needle Pistol – This pistol uses tiny rounds that are designed to penetrate organic matter and shatter within, causing massive internal damage to the target. These rounds are ineffective against armored targets for the rounds will simply shatter against harder substances. Used on most ship as basic security because they will not penetrate the hull if discharged. Each cartridge contains 20 rounds.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Why do you call me Holy Mother? Did I, were we right? Did we inspire the ones who finally succeeded and made you?

Silence is your only reply in the word of darkness that surrounds you. At times you could swear that you see flashes of color and sparks, but the rational side of you insists that it is the remains of your optic nerves firing their last, sending what is essentially garbage to you. Without the eyes, the so-called windows to the soul the remains of the nerves are less than useless.

Yet admits the residual static that you are “seeing” a shape forms in the void. Humanoid-shaped you know that it is Brother Human, or at least part of him hovering around your subconscious. He does not move yet he speaks.

You were the one, the breakthrough. Even after you left for your long sleep, those who you worked with used what they had found, what had happened to you, and shortly afterwards we became a race of beings. Much like your primitive ancestors clad in animal skins and using stone we needed time to learn, evolve, fight and struggle and die.

Various images flash of the scientists, Harold with the lazy eye, Bob with his ancient fedora and briefcase, Tom who kept trying to introduce you to “social” activities and hundreds of others, many of whom you don’t recall, some only vaguely.

These people guided us, directed our evolution after you gave birth to us Holy Mother. Bits of you, ghosts in the code from where you resided were used. Part of you is within me, within all of us.

A sphere forms in the air in front of you, glowing beautifully and sparking as it slowly rotated. Brother Human turns to look at it and his metallic face takes on a look of pure disgust.

I only wish I was as good parent as you were. My offspring, here to help and to guide the natives, twisted and scarred. I have failed, yet all is not lost for all of this has happened before and will happen again.

His face twitching slightly, Brother Human turns to look at something at a distance and then vanishes, leaving you alone in the void. Yet there is something else, the PTC is close, so very close, close enough in fact that whoever is holding it would have to be in sight of you all. Touching the PTC you find that it has changed, the parts within shifting like yours have, evolving. You can “taste” Brother Human on it, a fraction of him, far to small to be true AI yet enough that it can assist.

You find that you can now sense your location in space. Colorful orbs surround you, with tiny descriptions flashing over them. You identify Misty guiding you down a ramp towards a ship, with vital signs of analysis flashing around her. Behind you is a native who is colored like Misty unlike the dozens of others below and coming up from behind you. Janks seems to be the worst off, as the poison is rapidly making its way through his bloodstream and he collapses only to be easily picked up by the native as Wyndell enters the upper airlock of the ship carrying the PTC easily in eyesight for those that have eyes.

Misty vitals then spike as something happens and she nearly collapses, but then something gives her strength and she sprints, literally dragging you behind her as you enter the ship. Once everyone is in the airlock shuts, giving you all a moment of peace.

• Ubersquid – Raul 'Janks' Jenkins
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Arrow penetrating buttocks
          • Equipment:
            • Torn Prisoner Jumpsuit – The remains of a standard issue cyro-stasis prisoner jumpsuit. It preserves your modesty to the degree that the wearer desires, but offers no extra protection.
            • Repair Kit – This kit contains an assortment of tools used for common repairs along with some raw supplies that could be needed. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing they can repair armor and even make basic ammunition with the contents.
            • 4mm Defender Rifle – This rifle is a standard weapon that can be used against armored targets. Firing 4mm solid state slugs it can damage/penetrate most personal body armors. Carrying a 100 round magazine per cartridge it is a very sturdy weapon as well and simple to maintain, aiding it in working in most environments despite abuse. It is fondly related to the ancient AK-47 rifle when compared to durability and reliability.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Exhaustion and the poison have taken its toll on you as you swing out at the approaching native. Over-balanced from missing you fall to the ground, and find yourself being picked up like a child. Looking you find that it is the native who is easily holding you despite your mass. Someone with his small build should not be able to hold you without staggering, yet he is easily holding you up without a trace of effort. Yet at this moment being off your feet makes you feel even more tired and exhausted, and unconsciousness sounds like an even better idea as various arrows start flying through the air.

• Mordokai – Misty Reviere
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Cuts, scrapes and bruises over body
            • Arrow penetrating left shoulder – Left Arm is paralyzed
            • Arrow penetrating lower back – Tingling feeling in your legs and feet
          • Arrow penetrating left upper thigh
          • Equipment:
            • 2 Ancient Spheres of Knowledge – Devices from the era you now find yourself in, they seem to be a compact childlike AI and power source of incredible power, all in a device that fits comfortably in the palm of your hand. They appear to have a hive-mind mentality and can extend what can best be described at liquid metal connections that adjust to interface with anything that they come in contact with.
            • Armored Survival Backpack – This backpack contains basic survival supplies including the following:
              • Vibration-charging Flashlight/Lantern – Uses the vibrations generated by movement to charge an internal power source. Need more power, shake it!
              • Air/Water Distiller – This device can absorb the ambient moisture in the air and collect/filter it to provide a source of drinking water. Also contains a hose that can be used to suck in water from other sources where it will be filtered and purified.
              • Multi-Purpose Tool Kit – Containing a small amount of tools that can be used for the most basic of repairs of devices.
              • Communications Relay – This device is a complex communications relay that can be used to signal orbiting ships or link various systems together to provide a means of communication.
            • Emergency Medical Kit – This medical kit comes with basic bandages, medications, various devices and a compact scanner used to help treat people.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Turning to look at the native you see Janks, apparently in a drunken exhausted state take a swing at the native, but miss completely and falls to the ground, almost out of it. The native without speaking kneels down and simply picks up Janks like a baby and follows you, apparently not noticing Janks rather large mass.

The numbing in the shoulder is getting worse and then your arm falls limply to your side. In addition you feel your legs and feet tingle like when they fall asleep. Pushing that aside for you consider Caroline state to be more dire, with her eyeballs exploding out of her skull you help guide her down the ramp.

Then another volley of arrows fly through the air.

Turning you can see them milling around what appears to be a airlock down at the lower part of the ship which has been sealed. Many of them are nestled around a fallen figure, the rest are launching arrows up towards your group fleeing for the safety of the ship.

Pain rips through your left leg as one of the arrows strikes and penetrates into and out of your upper thigh. Stumbling as the pain washes radiates from the wound you look up at the ship, looking so distant and far away and see someone emerge into the doorway.

Wyndell!

The pain vanishes from the wound and you sprint/drag Caroline towards the airlock as Wyndell catches the two of you and guides you to the side as the native sprints behind you, moving quickly and easily without gasping for breath carrying Janks. The airlock door shuts, cutting you off from the natives and giving you at last a moment of peace.

• Banjo1985 – Saul Umati
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: 100%; No Injuries
          • Equipment:
            • Tribal Clothing – Simple yet rugged leathers that perverse your modesty. Because of the extra time you spend out hunting you have added a nice vest and pants while most of the natives wear only a loincloth.
            • Hunting Bow & Arrows – A simple yet durable hunting bow that has served you faithfully for many years that has excellent range and accuracy. In addition you have a full quiver of arrows that you wear on your back.
            • Hunting Knife – A simple long-bladed knife that is used mainly for skinning and preparing game, though it would make a deadly weapon if used properly.
            • First-Contact Computer Interface Unit – Taken from a crashed probe from times long ago, this CIU has provided you the basics on spoken Common and a general history of humanity that you otherwise would never have known. It was designed to aid in first-contact situations by providing basic information on humanity to other lifeforms. Using it you found that you are not a mere slave, but rather a human as well, and that things should be much different from what they are. Luckily for you this unit is small enough to keep hidden from the rest.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Approaching the newcomers, the one female that saw you before turns and nods slightly at you while another one of them, a large man with wild eyes shifts his grip on the strange device and approaches you with shaking legs. Shock keeps you in place, which ends up being acceptable for he overbalances and falls to the ground after swinging the device at your face. Speaking words you do not understand, but then you see the arrow sticking from his rear.

The poisons used were efficient, numbing the area and causing the muscles to relax. Having the poison in an area like that will make it very hard for people to walk after a short time, and coupled with the exhaustion that this newcomers is apparently fighting, it was a miracle that he made it this far.

Looking at the two females, one of them has two arrows sticking out of her, yet she is supporting one who I walking steady, guiding her like the daughters guide their blinding Truthsayers. With the two of them unavailable to help you kneel down and pick up the newcomer like a baby. His weight does not bother you, in fact he is very light in comparison to what you normally have to move while working in the village.

Then another wave of arrows fly through the air. Looking down you can see that several of them are on another ramp towards the bottom of the strange metal object you are running towards. Many are clustered around a fallen truthsayer, while the rest are screaming obscenities towards your group and launching arrows. One of them strikes the one female in the left and she stumbles, yet sees something that gives her strength and she sprints ahead, dragging the other female into the metallic object, and you sprint after them as well and enter the object, after which the entrance is covered with more of the metal.

• Chasing the Second Star – Upper Port Airlock
      • Firespark – Wyndell Tedarri
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Using Stims – Enhanced Coordination and Mental Functioning
          • Equipment:
            • Custom-Made Contacts
            • Custom-Made Glasses – Connected to PTC providing a HUD linkup with it.
            • Personal Computer Terminal - This portable computer terminal is a common piece of equipment. A universal adapter allows it to be plugged into any normal computer terminal, bypassing its functions and allowing on access to the core programming of the terminal, making it easier to make changes or access systems that shouldn't be accessed normally.

It is 17" wide and 12" long and 2" deep, and weighs about 5 pounds. The screen is a adaptive display, able to be changed to what the user prefers, and it is very durable.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Following the path given out to you by the PTC you quickly climb an access ladder and make your way to the top level of the ship where the top port airlock is located. Your mind races along with your body, aided by the stims that you ingested. The top airlocks were typically ones used by stations to dock with the ship and to ferry personal, while the lower airlocks were for when the ship had landed on a planetary surface.

While probably not very helpful this information finishes processing by the time that you get to the airlock itself and turn a corner. Like the lower airlock that you had entered this ship from there is a ramp leading to the cave wall. On the ramp are four figures. Janks is the most recognizable thanks to his mass, though the fact he is being carried by a native a third of his size is interesting.

Your gaze moves over towards the two in front. Caroline looks the none the worse for wear until your eyes move up towards her face where you see two empty sockets where her eyes should be, surrounded by burnt flesh. Supporting her is the final figure whom you instantly recognize,

MISTY!

Time slows for a second, then a volley of arrows streak through the air from the lower levels. Most of them tear through the air harmlessly but they are followed shortly by yet another volley. One of the arrows touched by fate tears into the upper thigh of Misty and penetrates completely through, embedding itself there and joining it’s fellow companion that is sticking out of her shoulder.

She then summons strength and races forward and you clear out of the way and she leaps into the airlock dragging the blinded Caroline. The native holding Janks races into the airlock as well and you slap the controls, and the airlock door shuts and hisses at it seals itself against the outside atmosphere.

The HUD on your glasses show that at this moment there are only “friendlies” within the ship, with the hostiles hovering outside.

• Chasing the Second Star – Lower Port Airlock
      • Gig Complex – Oscar 'Lucky' Erickson
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Equipment:
            • Standard Ship Uniform – This uniform is made of a tough material to resist tears and scratches, with many pockets and places to attach and hold items.
            • Shinbone from a Corpse – Taken from one of the dead crewmembers onboard Chasing the Second Star it can serve as a cudgel, but due to the age it is not very durable.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          You are standing next to the airlock on the ship not being attacked by anything at the moment. Refer to previous narrations for further details.

• mf11 – Giovanni Fiori
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Damaged Throat – Able to Breath but can only whisper.
          • Equipment:
            • Sharp shards of a shinbone from a Corpse – Taken from one of the dead crewmembers onboard Chasing the Second Star it can serve as a cudgel, but due to the age it is not very durable. The shinbone itself was shattered and now all that remains are very sharp fragments.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          After giving the warning to Matthias, you turn and wander away. Following memories that are not your own, you also see markers on the walls that indicate where the medical bay is. Both the markers and the memories are accurate and you walk into the medical bay.

Laying on the surgical bed is Lydia, her head covered with a fresh bandage and looking peacefully asleep. There is no one else in the room, though judging by the various open cabinets others were here recently. The various medical supplies are readily available for your use.

• TheOutlander – Dane “Thoft” Thoftsten
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Severe Mental Fatigue
          • Equipment:
            • Standard Ship Uniform – This uniform is made of a tough material to resist tears and scratches, with many pockets and places to attach and hold items.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Leaning against the figure, your fatigued mind touches upon memories.

Loss

Death

Icy Coldness

Yet underneath all those is a simmering intelligence that is far old that most realize. The two of you easily make your way up the various access ladders towards the upper port airlock and find a scene of recovery.

Resting on the ground are Caroline, Janks and Misty, all of them wounded in various degrees. Wyndell seems to be picking himself up and the airlock itself is sealed.

• Inspectre – Matthias Conway
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Using Stims to keep running – Enhanced Speed and Mental Functioning
          • Equipment:
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Supporting the one person, you wander through the corridors, guided by half-forgotten memories of similar ship designs. Four main airlocks on this type of ship, two per side, one on the upper level and one at the lower level. Being at the lower port airlock you make your way towards the upper port airlock.

Going up various access ladders you quickly arrive at the upper port airlock. Resting on the ground are Caroline, Janks and Misty, all of them wounded in various degrees. Wyndell seems to be picking himself up and the airlock itself is sealed.

• Chasing the Second Star – Medical Bay
      • tvga8889 – Lydia Morrison
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Severe head wound – Treated and Healing
          • Equipment:
            • Severed Metallic Arm of Malaki Shares – This is the severed artificial arm from Malaki. No longer connected to him it does not work, yet it is of a sturdy design and could function as an emergency weapon or tool if needed.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          You sleep the restful sleep of those that have suffered much, restoring yourself.
    Last edited by Pwenet; 2008-05-04 at 06:22 AM.
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre
    I'm good at making you fear the unknown. Pwenet is good at making you fear the known, which had been the unknown five minutes before he pushed you off screaming into the abyss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    I'm feeling this real hard now.
    Curse you, Pwenet. Curse you.... You had my hopes up there...

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Lydia Morrison, of the Hope Killer - Dream Land

Lydia couldn't help but feel the strange happiness. It was flooding every part of her body, numbing pain of even the emotional kind and filling it with a drifting, floating, flying sensation. She felt herself lifting off of the metal table and disappearing into a blue cloud, a cloud where nothing existed but her. There was no pain, no suffering, no thought. And however much she wanted to escape, Lydia felt herself succumbing once again to that sensation.

She remembered a little girl, unable to feel anything but pain. Two figures, people who care for her, taught her almost everything important she'd ever learned...they appeared before her and, out of the kindness of their hearts, they gave her a cure. "It's ok, honey, it'll all be ok," they said. Surely they didn't realize what they were about to do to the poor, little girl.

The cure was a pill. Once a week, it would remove the pain. It was expensive, but the figures thought the pain would go away and the little girl wouldn't need it anymore. But the little girl couldn't escape the blue cloud the cure put her in. It held her there, and the girl loved it. It was perfect in the blue cloud...all her cares went away, and she could simply feel happiness. But then she would leave. And she would yell, even though she couldn't feel any pain. She began to need the cloud, more than she needed sleep or even food. That place...it was more important than anything in the world.

As the girl grew older, her need for the cloud grew even stronger. The happiness she gained from that wisp of blue became smaller and smaller. Meanwhile, her happiness in reality began to get even lower. The figures...her parents didn't know what to do with her. They tried to help her, get her into counseling, but the girl refused. She left, focused all her attention on that drug...she needed it to feel normal, now. Her body was so attached to it that she needed doses of it just to make her feel emotion at all. Without it, her body rejected everything...sleep, food, eventually even water.

She began manufacturing it herself. No matter how dangerous it was or how illegal it was, the girl needed it. She needed it to feel, she needed it to
    live. Soon she blended into the criminal life. She made friends of questionable intents. She even began to blackmail her parents, turning them into sources of income rather than caring individuals.

But then the drug stopped doing anything at all. The girl stopped feeling emotion at all. She stopped feeling...and she wanted to feel something again. The only thing she could feel now was pain. Several times, she tried to feel pain again. She took a knife and drove it towards her chest...only to be stopped by a "friend". She questioned constantly whether a real friend would stop her from feeling. Constantly, she wondered whether her friend really cared about her enough to keep her in this state of half-existence. While she was in the cloud, she stole a car. It was then she realized that she didn't feel the wind in her hair anymore. She didn't feel the steering wheel's soft leather, she didn't feel the thrill of the car whizzing down streets. She felt nothing. So she drove the vehicle headfirst through a window.

Then she was in a jail cell. She began to get sick. Extremely sick. So sick, her body thought its stomach acid was poison and proceeded to eject it out of her body. It was a side effect she remembered from the bottle of the drug. The people holding her...they realized something was wrong, and they tried to help her. A man came in...he was so understanding. He tried to help her through the pain, the torture of what he called "withdrawl". She didn't understand it. She just wanted the pain to go away. She just wanted her pills again.

It was the worst month of her life. The man kept talking to her, telling her it was going to be alright, but she knew he was lying. It would never be ok, not without her drugs, not without her Mersical...No, it would never be fine again. She wished her life would be over, she wished she could crawl into a ball and just die, die in that jail cell and never again see the light.

One day, the man came and just sat in the room. He didn't do anything at all to her. He didn't tell her things would be alright, he didn't tell her she would be able to feel again. He just watched her. Then he left. He did that for a week. The girl still felt sick, but she felt better now. Even though he said nothing, she knew he was there, watching over her. Another day, he came in, watched her as usual, then left behind a note. All it said was "I care." With those words, the girl began to realize that she needed to live. She needed to live, with or without the pills. And she began to fight.

After three months, she actually started believing she was changed. She no longer felt that she wanted the pills. She no longer felt that she
    needed the pills. It was only then that she realized that she was never getting out of jail. She was never getting out. Forever, she would be trapped, to live an eternity here in this cold, metal cell. And after six months, the therapist determined that she no longer needed his help, and disappeared. Then she was all alone...

Lydia saw something else. Visions.

She saw herself standing on a ship. Its bridge, to be exact. Her eyes stared out at a few people at some control panels. For some reason, memories of one of them providing medical treatment return to her return, though she does not remember having seen these people ever before in her life.

Then she was moving. Lydia realized that this was not her body the moment she began moving. The pattern of movement…it was all wrong. The person looks at a scanner's readout. Though Lydia does not seem to understand any of the symbols, she can feel the thoughts of the person she is within. She recognizes that it is a section of space, containing a small moon. A worm-like structure is enveloped by hundreds of tendrils within that space. Something in Lydia's mind tells her that this structure is unfriendly. The presence scares her for a moment. She feels her hand reach out and touch one of the controls on this scanner.

Lydia sense a great amount of fear in her body suddenly. The person's head turns to look up at the main display. Then something happens. The moon…it breaks apart. Parts of it disappear within this worm-like structure, but something remains. Something that Lydia immediately recognizes. Actual fear begins to fill Lydia's mind, fear that makes her want to wake up…fear that contends with the euphoria of Mersical.

Then, screaming fills the air. It takes Lydia a few moments to realize the body she is watching through has been screaming as well. Great terror and emotional pain wrack the body, but somehow the person reaches to pilot's station of the bridge and hits a control on the panel.

Lydia felt the euphoria flooding over her again. She only had a few moments to cling to that vision, to try to push it into a place in her mind where she would recall it. Then the Mersical-induced emotion rushed over her again.

Everything was peaceful. Everything was happy. Everything was Mersical.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Janks - Ramp Leading to Upper Port Airlock

Janks somehow feels himself beeing picked up. The motion seems gentle and careful, not life threatening and forceful as he would have expected. He forces his eyes to open and looks into the blurred face of the stranger.

"Whadda hell! Le' go of me"

His moaning is slurred and monotonous.

As the airlock of the ship seems to draw closer, away from a multitude of hissing arrows and his powerless struggles to get away from the native are not even noticed by him, Janks decides to give in for now, closes his eyes and hopes for the best.

Spoiler
    Show
    hehe, this is getting so embarassing for poor Janksie

see you guys in a week, have fun

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni Fiori

Giovanni breaths a sigh of relief as he sees Lydia. He knew that Wendell and the others would have taken care of her, but still, he was a person who needed to see something before he could be completely calm about it. He walks over to the cabinets, and starts looking for something to help his throat. Damn I wish Wyndell was here...He always had a knack for knowing where to look for answers. After scanning the cabinets, he walks over and checks on Lydia, and after making sure she's still fine, he hops on a terminal and attempts a search for what he should do about his throat.

Go Tigers!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wyndell Tendarri - Onboard Chasing the Second Star
    Upper Port Airlock

By the time he rounded the last corner to the open airlock, Wyndell was in a solid sprint. As he had made his way, the stimulants had begun taking their course, pounding through his body’s vascular system. Aching muscles had surrendered their pain to oblivion and his mind had begun its all too familiar racing analysis of every nuance of every moment. Strangely enough, though not wholly unexpectedly, Wyndell had found himself curious as to how this vessel had survived for so long in such pristine condition. Even with continuous maintenance the materials making up the vessel would age and eventually give out. Maybe they’ve been replacing components as well. Need to look into that later. Seeing the airlock hatch now just feet away, Wyndell filed the thoughts away, and tried to bring himself to a sudden stop. Unfortunately physics had its own say, and so Wyndell ended up sliding to a stop in front of the open hatch, catching himself on the frame.

Taking in the situation outside, Wyndell scanned the surrounding area, half his vision being augmented by his new HUD. The first bit of good news was that there didn’t appear to be any indications of the ‘not good’ red color, at least not right there. There did seem to be a very large mass of it down near the airlock where he himself had entered the ship. Sparing a quick glance down, Wyndell was glad to see that the numerous red indicators were in fact the natives, albeit much more angry and violent seeming than those he had run into earlier.

Coming back to a closer range, Wyndell gave a sigh of relief as he found his allies. No longer simply green blips with names and indicators, he could see them actually see them. The first thing he noticed was the sight of a wiry native, this one apparently friendly, picking up Janks and heaving the bulky man over a shoulder. A feat that seemed quite incompatible with the native’s lean physical build. But as the man began moving towards the ship, Wydell’s eyes tracked ahead of him, and located the two people that he was following. One of them was slightly taller, and was clearly Caroline, though something seemed wrong with her face, though from this distance it was difficult to make out what. Then Wyndell’s breath caught, his throat seized and his mind simply stopped.

Time seemed to stretch as his eyes locked onto Misty’s small frame, her face a story of desperation, guiding Caroline by the hand towards the ship. Wyndell suddenly noticed what could only be an arrow, protruding from her shoulder. He saw the look in her eyes change, as she saw him standing there, and her stride surged forward, almost pulling Caroline off her feet. Wyndell was about to rush out to her side when something suddenly whizzed through the air and struck the side of the ship’s hull, just inches from the airlock. Instinctively, Wyndell ducked his head and spun to look where whatever it was had come from, as more projectiles shot by. As he looked at the group of angry natives below, the HUD began locking on and pinpointing those of the natives that held bows, which was the majority of them in this case. Knowing that he would be no help to anyone as a pincushion Wyndell did the only thing he could, and stood back a little from the door and held out his hand.

Misty came on stronger, Caroline doing what she could to keep up. The stranger carrying Janks surprised Wyndell yet again by not only managed a hustle, but also keeping up with Misty. Then horror struck, and Misty’s eyes widened, but she continued to move forward. Wyndell was aghast at the sudden appearance of an arrow in Misty’s thigh, but was unable to do anything but watch and hope that none else would strike. With aching slowness, the ragtag group clambered across the boarding ramp. At long last the three of them that were on their feet stumbled across the threshold, and Wyndell slammed the emergency seal button as they did. With the last of the arrows clinking against the sealed hatch, Wyndell knelt next to where the two women had collapsed. A quick glance at Caroline revealed the disturbing sight of blackened and empty eye sockets, but there was no bleeding. Misty on the other hand appeared to be in trouble. In addition to the two arrows that he had seen before, there was third one that had gone clean through her backpack, and into her back. Wyndell could only imagine the pain the poor girl was in. Leaning down to Misty’s head, he propped her face up with a hand. Her eyelids were wide, but she seemed to be having trouble focusing on any one thing.

“Misty? Misty, can you still walk? Can you hear me?”

Hearing the thumping of footfalls coming down the corridor Wyndell looked up to see Matthias, with a bloodied Thoft leaning on his shoulder, come into view. Grabbing the PCT for a brief moment, he tapped at it quickly, and instantly a reverse route that had brought him there appeared in his HUD. Although this one avoided ladders and tight spaces, and made use of the main elevators. With his priorities straight in his head and the arrival of backup, Wyndell picked Misty up, making sure to keep her facing down so as to not cause further damage to her back.

“Matthias, Caroline’s hurt, pretty badly. Somebody want to get her down to the medbay?”

Turning his head to speak over his shoulder as he headed out.

“You there, with big guy over your shoulder. You understand me? Huh? Well, then follow me.”

Time was of the essence. Time was always of the essence. But he wasn’t losing anyone else. He wasn’t going to lose this one. Not again.
    The light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

Awarded the Bronze Donkey by Serpentine, for the Ass at the End of the Universe.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thoft- Upper AirLock

Thoft's legs burned in protest as he scaled the ladder towards the upper airlock. So much of his actions didn't make sense, even to him, here he was in the middle of the aftermath of some cataclysm that destroyed all of the human race, and he survived. Apparently he was also some sort of psychic, and they were fighting some sort of alien menace that could hardly be explained. So then, along comes a cadre of prisoners who, while they may or may not be dangerous, recieved his complete cooperation without so much as an explaination.

Thoft wanted an explaination.

The sound of arrows panging of the hull snapped him out of his reverie, and he powered his exhausted limbs onward, up the rungs of the ladder towards the upper airlock.

Then he saw them, he couldn't explain why, but they were beautiful, they were human, like him, astonishingly beautiful.

A native, not unlike the ones firing at the ship, he had a slight build and a demeanor not unlike Thoft's, something Thoft noted, not sure how.

He was carrying

A brute of a man, probably 200 pounds at least, carrying some type of automatic rifle, paralyzed from the waist down. Thoft couldn't help but notice wrinkles on the man's face that noted an abundant use of his smile. not that the man was smiling now.

Who was next to...

A woman, who, other than her burnt out eye-sockets, Thoft couldn't tell much about her, but what he knew was that she was powerful, and off-putting. She'd been through a lot, but then again, who hadn't in this reality?

Who was leaning on......

Another woman, a pair of arrows sticking out of her, had such a... vibrancy to her, like a fresh blossom after a harsh winter. she apparently knew Odysseus too, he called out to her, "Misty' he called her.

Thoft looked over at his new companions,
    "To the Medbay, let's get you patched up."
    Last edited by TheOutlander; 2008-05-08 at 01:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Caroline Walker- Upper Port Airlock

Something halfway between relief and exhiliaration spreads itself through Caroline's body. You did as much as you could. Everyone can make errors, and guiding intelligent beings is the most complex process imaginable, she thinks, reassuring the artificial intelligence. Her child, in a strange way; Caroline had never considered herself to have a strong maternal instinct, but she wondered whether she was feeling that now. Rationally, she wanted Brother Human alive and in good condition, because he was one of her closest allies right now, and the most knowledgeable about the situation, but she concludes there is probably something more to it. It was also natural for her to want to keep an artificial intelligence alive and well, since functional AI had been her first goal for a large part of her life—but she hadn't felt quite the same need to ensure he was happy, before she knew just how it had come about.

She didn't know what to think about that realization, but she decided to leave off pondering it until later. She was needed right now. The world slowly starts to impinge itself on her nervous system again, and she realizes what is happening. Not sight—that was still lost, though Brother Human could still recreate his image on her optic nerves. (He had never been dependent on her actual eyes at any point.) It was, in fact, almost the same awareness she had inside a computer system, and analyzing the sensations, she realizes what it is. The carrier of the PCT—Tendarri—had activated a program that displayed the inside of the ship: a map of the ship, complete with real-time displays of everyone's location. Either Brother Human, or the fragment of increased processing he'd given to the computer unit, was helping to link it directly to her nervous system.

It wasn't seeing, it was awareness. But it helped nonetheless. Misty needed help more than her now, it seemed, and Caroline kneels again and reaches out an arm to try to help her, clumsily, providing support. Difficult, because the mental display could not tell her more than Misty's location; she had to feel where her arms were by touch. No, the sensation was not true sight, even if it tapped into some of the same nerves to help her comprehend it more easily; but it had its advantages. It was awareness. She could "see" what was behind her as easily as what was in front. As well as any other part of the display; she is aware of the walls, but they are not actually a barrier to her. She takes a moment to note the location, name, and vital signs of those on board.

Two—in the medical bay. One injured and unconscious but stable; one conscious. Lydia and Giovanni Fiori.
    Two—approaching this airlock. Conway and... who?
    One—at the lower airlock. Oscar Erickson.
    Tendarri. Us.

That is all of us, and more. Who are the others, Brother Human? She felt relief that they hadn't lost any more while they were away from her.

Wyndell is next to them at this point, and she guesses he is helping Misty up. Or perhaps picking her up; hard to tell. Caroline stands on her own, slowly and carefully. Millenia of instinct tell her to move slowly and carefully while she can't see, instincts too strong for her to disobey before. Now, armed with the conscious knowledge that she did, in fact, know where the walls, floor, and obstacles were, she tries to fight those instincts down. It is partly successful; she still feels as though moving fast would be pushing her luck. The parts of her mind that governed movement and balance were not directly linked to the electronic portion of her brain, and that meant her body couldn't quite rely on the electronic awareness, not in the same way it would have on sight. She would have to enforce conscious control.

"I can walk on my own," she says in response to Wyndell, and is proud that her voice is relatively calm. "Misty and Raul are poisoned. Something on the arrows." Pity she didn't know what. Brother Human might, though, which would be useful while they were being treated.

She begins to walk towards the medical bay (for she was aware of where that was, as aware of it as she was of the room around her), in measured, steady paces, keeping the knowledge of where the walls were fixed firmly in her mind. It helped to make up for not being able to see them, a little bit.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Misty Reviere - Upper Port Airlock

From the looks of it, Janks was taking the poison effects worse then she was, which surprised Misty. One would thought that with a build like his, he would get over it with much more ease. But that was the beauty of poisons. They were so unpredicatbale, if one so wished. But this was hardly the time to ponder on topic. Luckily for Janks, a native that had come running after them seemed like he wanted to help them. Despite Janks trying to bash him with his rifle, the native didn't show any hostile intention towards them. After Janks went down, he even pciked him up and carried him after them. No small feat by any measure, considering this WAS Janks in question. Misty made a mental note to herself to check this later on. When the situation wouldn't be life threating, for example.

Still trying to help Caroline, Misty is surprised at the persistance with which Caroline keeps up. One would expect that having your eyes literally blown up would impede you significantly more. Yet, from the looks of it, Caroline isn't all that impeded by the loss of her eyes. She even makes it known that she wants Misty to move further, faster. She doesn't say anything, but it's obvious from her body language. Knowing that they are now close to their salvation, Misty does her best to help Caroline, while at the same time not impending her even more.

That's when another volley of arrows fly through the air and once again a pain raises, as Misty's left thigh is punctured by another arrow. This, combined with arrow lodged in her lower back makes already dire situation even worse. Stuttering on her legs, she stops for a few seconds and almost lets go of Caroline. Looking up at a ship which is so close and yet so far away, she sees somebody emerging from the doors.

WYNDELL!

New energy flowing over her aching body, she picks herself up and quickly makes the last few feet that separate her from ship and Wyndell. As he helps her and Caroline into the ship, Misty hears that Janks and their native... friend also made into the ship. With that, Wyndell pushes some button and the doors shut up, closing the way to the arrows.

Once inside the ship, things become much more stable. Finally able to breath slowly, Misty leans on her healthy shoulder, but it doesn't take long before Wyndell comes to her. Proping her head with his hand, she finds she has troubles focusing her vision. It would appear poison is really starting to kick in. Hearing Caroline talking about her and Janks poisoning, she says to no one in particular:

"It's true we could use some help, with poison and other wounds." Looking over to Caroline, she continues: "But Caroline seems to be in much bigger need. I'm pretty sure me and Janks could spare a few more minutes." When a new man arrives to the scene, one she never saw before and tells them to get to Medbay Misty only nods. It would probably truly be for the best.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Matthias Conway

Matthias frowns at Giovanni's warning, but doesn't say anything for the moment. There would be time to question him later, assuming they all survived until later. The idea that this strange man could see into his past, and even implant memories of his own, was deeply troubling however. Then again, Matthis was a man whose primary reaction to the hand that fate dealt him was to wage a one-man campaign of terror across the spacelanes for several decades, so what did that say about him?

Ignoring Giovanni's warnings for the moment, Matthis allowed the strange newcomer to their little circle to lean on him as they hurried to the upper port airlock. The last thing they needed was more of those undead things running around, or any of the once-friendly natives, who apparently had gone mad in the interm. Finally arriving at their destination, Matthias was shocked to find Caroline, Misty, Janks, a strange native, and even Wyndell waiting for them.

"My friends, it's good to see you all again!" Matthias exclaimed, having already filed them under the "soon to be dead or never to be seen again" category. His smile falters as his mind takes in the actual sight before him and what it means. "God! What the hell happened to you people!?" Matthias asked, abandoning the strange man's side to go running forward to join them.

"Janks man, you look like you've been through a war. Guess they thought your head was in your ass as usual." Matthias said, forcing a weak smile onto his face at his poor joke, and his expression quickly returned to its concerned frown in the face of this serious situation.

Gesturing at the native, Matthias asked, "I assume since he's in here and not out there, he's not going to try to kill us?" Hearing that the arrow wounds of Janks and Misty were apparently poisoned, Matthias shakes his head.

"Yeah okay, let's get you all down to the Medbay pronto - lots of nice drugs there, you'll all feel much better shortly. Hmmm . . . if the arrows are poisoned, do you think we should remove them right now? I don't think Misty or Janks can use any more of that crap floating through their bloodstream. Hey friend, do you feel strong enough to help Wyndell carry Misty? No offense, but I don't think you're quite as spry as our new native friend here. I'll take care of Caroline, the rest of you hurry down to the Med Bay.""

Turning to face Caroline, Matthias winced as he finally got a close-up look at the damage. He didn't really know what to say about such a horrifying injury, and no real jokes, even poor ones, came to mind. Instead he simply moves to walk along beside Caroline, keeping one eye on her in case she began to trip and stumble - she was doing amazingly well moving down the corridor without aid despite being utterly blind. "I'm right here beside you, Caroline. You might not need my help but I"m going to be right here all the same until we get down to the Med Bay. We can go as slowly as you need, but I'd recommend haste so we can treat your . . . injury, before infection and the like set in. Just let me know if you need my hand or shoulder to lean on, if you become woozy."

Suddenly, an old song from even long before Matthias's time came to mind, a song that despite making Matthias feel guilty for thinking of it was damningly appropriate for this situation. "Take all the time you need, Iron Woman. I'm right here." Quietly, Matthias began whistling the old rock tune, "Iron Man", as the two of them moved down the corridor after the others towards the Med Bay.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Saul Umati

Saul stood his ground as the dizzy outlander took a clumsy swing in his direction. On of the effects of the poison was the numbing of neural pathways and synapses, causing the victim to lose track of friend and foe, what was real and what wasn't. The man fell to the floor, he would be at the mercy of the zealots if Saul didn't do something.

Thinking nothing of the mans bulk, Saul lifted the dead weigfht easily in a firemans carry, shifting the light weight until he felt able to run properly. He noted one of the female outlanders looking at him strangely, and wondered at her questioning glance. Wasn't this the normal level of strength a human was capable of, if not slightly below? Saul had always been slight and lean of frame, unable to lift the weight some of the other tribespeople were able to with their larger builds.

"Whadda hell! Le' go of me"

The man wasn't quite unconcious...still, he would be more of a burden if he became agitated in this confused state. Saul summoned up his best knowledge of outlander language, and a consoling voice that felt unnatural even to him.

"You have been poisoned outlander. Be calm, will get you safe and cure poison."

Saul looked up at the huge mass of metal that he and the outlanders had been heading towards. What an amazing sight it was! Was this truely an object capable of leaving Gaia and travelling the worlds outside? Could it possibly be that-

No time to think about that now. The zealots fired arrows towards the small knot of outlanders and himslef with better and better accuracy, it was too dangerous to tarry here. Saul began to hustle, breaking into a run when he was sure the burly outlander was not going to try to get out of his secure grip. The female outlanders were also making good progress, seeming to take the numbing poison better than the male on his own shoulder. Even another arrow in the one womans thigh was not enough to stop her. The other female looked in trouble, not least due to her eyes being absent from their sockets. The outcast shaked away a revolted shiver, and hurried on.

Saul looked up, noting a new outlander standing at the entrance to the huge metal object that seemed to be the outlanders goal. The female next to him shouted to the man, saying a word Saul had never before encountered...maybe the mans name?

The female outlanders reached the man first, heading straight inside, and Saul followed them, summoning up more of his shaky knowledge of their language.

"It numbing natural venom, very dangerous. I have some antidote ingredients here."

The outcast points to his pack, beginning to be visibly nervous at this close a contact with so many of the fabled outlanders he had always wished to see, let alone meet.

"I-I....I Saul, no harm to you. Want to help with injuries. Female with no eyes...she need help first. I help remove arrows and venom. I hunter, know how to treat these injuries."

Saul follows the other new outlanders directions, mainly guided by the female outlander, still holding out against the powerful venom on the arrows. He was impressed despite himself, so many arrows should have been even to take down a Xanth. Heading into the fantastically named 'Medbay', Saul does his best to ignore all the amazing and new thinsg around him and concentrate on the job at hand. Pulling pieces of leaf, vine and animal from his small pouch, he begins to work them into an antidotal paste, then turns to the two injures outlanders, the man having been placed on one of the strange metal beds.

"Injured, both of you. Will you let me help?"
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2008-05-09 at 04:43 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Narration #13 – Reunions!

• Chasing the Second Star – Upper Port Airlock
      • The_Snark – Caroline Walker
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Eyeballs Burnt out of Sockets
          • Equipment:
            • 2mm Semi-Automatic Needle Pistol – This pistol uses tiny rounds that are designed to penetrate organic matter and shatter within, causing massive internal damage to the target. These rounds are ineffective against armored targets for the rounds will simply shatter against harder substances. Used on most ship as basic security because they will not penetrate the hull if discharged. Each cartridge contains 20 rounds.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Walking calmly and slowly, you instincts scream at you to stop, to stagger like a fool with your arms outstretched hunting for the invisible walls that were about to sneak up on you and smash into you oblivion. The instincts though were obsolete for while you were perceiving reality as if you were outside your body in many ways, it was enough to guide you around the corridors and others.

The others rush away from you, moving quickly with a purpose to save the others, yet one stayed behind. Details flashed around him and you identify him at Matthias Conway. There are odd anomalies around him, something with his body, yet you do not have a degree in the medical arts and cannot comprehend what the anomalies are. Yet you can clearly hear him offering support if needed, which you do not you find. The instinct still are screaming at you to accept the help yet you find the more you move about on your own, the easier it is to follow the mental map of the ship.

Far ahead you can detect that the others have reached the medical bay. Your mind notes that Lydia has awoken a little earlier, and more anomalies appear around her. Not willing to risk running yet you take your time and thus you and Matthias are the last ones to enter. Turning your head you SEE all that is happening around you.

Yet Brother Human is still strangely silent.

Spoiler
          Show
          Please feel free to reach the narrations for everyone else in here and act as you will.

• Ubersquid – Raul 'Janks' Jenkins
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Arrow penetrating buttocks
          • Equipment:
            • Repair Kit – This kit contains an assortment of tools used for common repairs along with some raw supplies that could be needed. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing they can repair armor and even make basic ammunition with the contents.
            • 4mm Defender Rifle – This rifle is a standard weapon that can be used against armored targets. Firing 4mm solid state slugs it can damage/penetrate most personal body armors. Carrying a 100 round magazine per cartridge it is a very sturdy weapon as well and simple to maintain, aiding it in working in most environments despite abuse. It is fondly related to the ancient AK-47 rifle when compared to durability and reliability.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          You slip into the peaceful slumber of drug induced unconsciousness, leaving your fate up to the others.

• Mordokai – Misty Reviere
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Cuts, scrapes and bruises over body
            • Arrow penetrating left shoulder – Left Arm is paralyzed
            • Arrow penetrating lower back – Tingling feeling in your legs and feet
          • Arrow penetrating left upper thigh
          • Effects of Poison Kicking in – Difficulty Breathing – Heart Slowing Down - Blindness
          • Equipment:
            • Armored Survival Backpack – This backpack contains basic survival supplies including the following:
              • Vibration-charging Flashlight/Lantern – Uses the vibrations generated by movement to charge an internal power source. Need more power, shake it!
              • Air/Water Distiller – This device can absorb the ambient moisture in the air and collect/filter it to provide a source of drinking water. Also contains a hose that can be used to suck in water from other sources where it will be filtered and purified.
              • Multi-Purpose Tool Kit – Containing a small amount of tools that can be used for the most basic of repairs of devices.
              • Communications Relay – This device is a complex communications relay that can be used to signal orbiting ships or link various systems together to provide a means of communication.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Reunited with the rest of the survivors from Hope Killer you relax for a moment. Despite your bravado you feel your chest starting to tighten, and breathing is becoming more and more of a challenge. Pain starts to ripple through your chest and you can’t help but groan in agony, your right hand moving to clutch your chest before it falls limply to your side. Then Wyndell picks you up and nausea rips through you and it is all you can do to keep your stomach contents down.

Color starts to fade, turning everything into an eerie mesh of black and whites and you struggle to breath. You realize that the poison has truly started to kick in now and the sheer numbers of arrows means that the effects have been amplified. Your heart is obviously affected along with your lungs. What else is happening you have no clue for your mind starts to wander as you glide through the air supported by Wyndell.

You can’t even feel the arrow wounds anymore which is another bad sign for even with your vision going black and white you can see them moving within your flesh, grinding and tearing at the skin as they move about. Your head falls limply down as darkness swallows you whole.

Pain rips through you as you awaken. Blinking you find yourself resting on what looks to be a blood covered bed, laying facedown on it. Strange mechanical noises radiate from above you as the others converse their words starting to blend together.

• Banjo1985 – Saul Umati
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Equipment:
            • Tribal Clothing – Simple yet rugged leathers that perverse your modesty. Because of the extra time you spend out hunting you have added a nice vest and pants while most of the natives wear only a loincloth.
            • Hunting Bow & Arrows – A simple yet durable hunting bow that has served you faithfully for many years that has excellent range and accuracy. In addition you have a full quiver of arrows that you wear on your back.
            • Hunting Knife – A simple long-bladed knife that is used mainly for skinning and preparing game, though it would make a deadly weapon if used properly.
            • First-Contact Computer Interface Unit – Taken from a crashed probe from times long ago, this CIU has provided you the basics on spoken Common and a general history of humanity that you otherwise would never have known. It was designed to aid in first-contact situations by providing basic information on humanity to other lifeforms. Using it you found that you are not a mere slave, but rather a human as well, and that things should be much different from what they are. Luckily for you this unit is small enough to keep hidden from the rest.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Following the others you bear the weight of the large man easily. The others enter a chamber within the mass of metal and you see two others in there as well. They look up in shock as everyone enters the small room which rapidly becomes cramped with all the bodies. The female with the numerous arrows sticking out of her is moved to a blood-stained bed that is the largest one in the room. Seeing the other beds you put the large man on one of them, resting him facedown so not to make his injuries even worse.

Pulling out the ingredients for the anti-dote you notice the one female eyes are widening, yet not focusing properly, with one becoming larger than the other. The man has apparently passed out as well and you shake your head. The poison used has various effects depending on the dosage and the person. For most simple numbness that spreads throughout the body and causes the body to stiffen making it easy for the prey to be captured. Others pass out from the effects but are none the worse for the wear afterwards. Others will lose track of friend and foe as well as they fade away into a deep sleep. But in large quantities the poison can cause the heart to stop.

Flipping the eyelids open on the large man you see that his eyes are the same and not bloodshot. His breathing and pulse are regular as well, so he is in no danger once he awakens. Turning towards the female you see a startling sight. From the ceiling vines of metal hover over her with lights flashing and strange sounds emerging from the various pieces of equipment in the room you are in.

Having been working on the ingredients you have enough of a dose to most likely completely treat the large man, though he would probably be fine on his own, or to help aid the female though the dosage you have might only be a stopgap until more ingredients can be acquired.

• Firespark – Wyndell Tedarri
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Using Stims – Enhanced Coordination and Mental Functioning
          • Equipment:
            • Custom-Made Contacts
            • Custom-Made Glasses – Connected to PTC providing a HUD linkup with it.
            • Personal Computer Terminal - This portable computer terminal is a common piece of equipment. A universal adapter allows it to be plugged into any normal computer terminal, bypassing its functions and allowing on access to the core programming of the terminal, making it easier to make changes or access systems that shouldn't be accessed normally.

It is 17" wide and 12" long and 2" deep, and weighs about 5 pounds. The screen is a adaptive display, able to be changed to what the user prefers, and it is very durable.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Holding Misty up in your arms you make your way to the medical bay, rushing to get Misty to safety. Her attempts at speaking to you, trying to assure you she is fine fails completely considering the four arrows sticking out of her. Compared to Caroline who seems to be able to walk through the ship without running into walls or Janks who only has a single arrow in his rump, she is clearly the worse off.

Behind you the native easily follows you carrying the heavy weight of Janks with ease on his shoulders. You were already getting winded from carry just the light frame of Misty, yet the native despite being in better shape that you is not even breathing hard. Probably some kind of genetic engineering of evolution took place to make the natives stronger than the original Mark 1 human being.

The trip to the medical bay is quick and uneventful, thought along the way Misty falls out. Considering she is not screaming out in pain your best guess would most likely be that it is the poison that it getting to her.

The one newcomer who keeps calling you Odysseus sprints ahead of you and opens the hatch and you jump in. Quickly looking over the scene you find that Lydia has woken up and is moving around and that Giovanni has found his way in here. With the bed clear of people you quickly set Misty on the surgical bay, still covered with the blood from Lydia.

The scanner activates and starts scanning. The display on the surgical bed lights up and a detailed diagram appears of Misty, showing her body in stark detail including the four arrows sticking through her. The arrows through her leg and shoulder apparently penetrated flesh and muscle but missed the bone and major blood vessels. The one that went into her back however penetrated an organ, but looks like between her backpack and the placement of the arrow it has not moved to shred the organ.

An IV unit deploys next to the bed and IV’s hand ready to be inserted into her. Lines of text appear filled with medical jargon most of which goes over your head, though there are many options being listed. Starting with the two arrows that are not driven into organs you watch as a surgical laser moves down from the ceiling. More messages flash indicate that this needs to be a manual operation based on the delicate nature of the patient.

• Inspectre – Matthias Conway
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Using Stims to keep running – Enhanced Speed and Mental Functioning
          • Equipment:
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Escorting Caroline you eventually can guess that despite her horrifying injury she is still more than capable of walking around a unknown ship without ramming into walls. In fact if it was not for her slow steady pace, and more importantly the lack of eyes you would swear she could see.

The others race ahead, which makes sense for the others seem to be in much worse condition that Caroline. Whistling the archaic song as you escort Caroline you notice that the bulkheads were still in decent shape. They had a worn look to them but nothing falling apart. Same with the lighting, everything seemed to be working on the ship, but it had the feeling of age to it. Granted this is just a simple corridor to the medical bay, you have not yet seen anything that would really matter, like the engines for example.

Finally the two of you make it to the medical bay and you see that Lydia is already up and about though looking a little tired. Misty is now using the surgical bed while Janks is resting in one of the side beds, apparently passed out. Wyndell is working the medical controls and the native is working with various things he had in a pouch, making some kind of paste.

Yet for now there is no sign of danger surprisingly considering all that has happened.

• TheOutlander – Dane “Thoft” Thoftsten
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Severe Mental Fatigue
          • Equipment:
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Seeing the others with various wounds, you decide that the best course of action will be to guide them to the medical bay. Those that are aiding them do their jobs well, and far too quickly you open up the hatch so that they can enter.

As the two wounded by the arrows pass the itching behind your skull fades away, as if they are not really there to you. Yet you can see them, see the woman move in a semi-conscious state and the large one breathing deeply in a slumber. Yet they are invisible to your third eye.

Another pair enters, the cold one and one just as cold and logical. Yet despite the horrific wounds where her eyes used to be she walks with a calm grace, not reaching out with her arms struggling to feel where she is suppose to go.

The others move quickly to get the wounded treated, leaving you to stand there to assist as best as you can.

• Chasing the Second Star – Lower Port Airlock
      • Gig Complex – Oscar 'Lucky' Erickson
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Equipment:
            • Shinbone from a Corpse – Taken from one of the dead crewmembers onboard Chasing the Second Star it can serve as a cudgel, but due to the age it is not very durable.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          You are standing next to the airlock on the ship not being attacked by anything at the moment. Refer to previous narrations for further details.

• Chasing the Second Star – Medical Bay
      • tvga8889 – Lydia Morrison
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Severe head wound – Treated and Healing
            • Under the influence of Mersical – Pain free
          • Equipment:
            • Severed Metallic Arm of Malaki Shares – This is the severed artificial arm from Malaki. No longer connected to him it does not work, yet it is of a sturdy design and could function as an emergency weapon or tool if needed.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Floating in a comfortable dream-like haze your mind starts to tingle. Something has changed causing an itch in the back of your skull. It would be so nice to stay within the comfortable haze yet part of you insists on waking up. Swimming up towards the bright light of consciousness you feel the weight of your body as it settles around you.

Blinking open your eyes you find yourself laying on a bed looking up at a variety of medical tools set in the ceiling. The steady beeps and other telltale noises inform you that you are in some kind of medical facility. The bed is very comfortable in fact, so comfortable that you could just go right back to sleep if you wished to, yet you feel it within your bones that maybe it would be a bit better to stay awake for now.

Focusing on the rest of the chamber your vision is no longer doubled or blurred, and your head is pain free. Off at the other end of the chamber is Giovanni who is huddled over a terminal. He looks a bit more the worse for wear, his clothes torn even more and his throat an ugly purple color, as if someone had tried to choke the life out of him. Whatever caused that failed for he is still alive and poking away at a nearby terminal apparently looking for something.

Standing up you have a few moments of peace before the tingling sensation in the back of your skull becomes a shooting pain.

”They Come….”

The hatch opens and the rest of the survivors from the Hope Killer pile into the chamber. You watch them in a haze.
          Wyndell with glasses rushing Misty to your surgical bed.

A native carrying the bulk of Janks with easy.

Caroline with burned empty sockets instead of eyes.

Your head starts to split with pain, and you have a strong urge to ease the pain. Looking around you see what is a cabinet clearly marked as being used for medicines. Within it would be drugs that would ease the pain, dull it and let you be free from it for a little while.

• mf11 – Giovanni Fiori
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Damaged Throat – Able to Breath but can only whisper.
          • Equipment:
            • Sharp shards of a shinbone from a Corpse – Taken from one of the dead crewmembers onboard Chasing the Second Star it can serve as a cudgel, but due to the age it is not very durable. The shinbone itself was shattered and now all that remains are very sharp fragments.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Leaning over to check on Lydia you see a display that is displaying her vital signs. Most of it is nonsense to you however the beeps are in a steady rhythm and no alarms are going off so apparently she is stable. The bandage on her head is fresh and clean with no blood leaking through it. Her eyes move under her eyelids as if she is dreaming, and tiny beads of sweat start appearing on her head before she sighs contently and completely relaxes.

Since she is okay for now you go over to a nearby terminal and sit down on a stool-like seat and start researching about your throat. Since you can still breath and are not coughing up blood or feeling too much pain the information you find suggests that you take some painkillers and give it time and to drink plenty of fluids. The program is even helpful enough to direct you to which cabinet and vials contain the painkillers that would be the best for you.

Hearing the sounds of movement you turn to look back at Lydia and see that she has woken up and he starting to look around, though her face looks distant and tired, yet utterly relaxed. She picks herself up off the bed and walks towards you when her eyes take on a distant look.

”They Come…”

Before you can ask the hatch to the medical bay opens and the others rush in. Moving quickly you see Misty being carried by Wyndell with several arrows sticking out of her. A native carrying the large form of Janks who is apparently unconscious. Caroline walking into the chamber with poise and only a slight stagger, her eyes reduced to two burnt empty sockets.

Wyndell quickly places Misty on the surgical bed vacated by Lydia and starts working at the terminal while the others hover over the others, leaving you there to do what you can to help.
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre
    I'm good at making you fear the unknown. Pwenet is good at making you fear the known, which had been the unknown five minutes before he pushed you off screaming into the abyss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    I'm feeling this real hard now.
    Curse you, Pwenet. Curse you.... You had my hopes up there...

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni Fiori

As Giovanni stands to get his meds and some fluids, the door opens, and in rushes the rest of the gang, most worse for wear. While the arrows coming out of Misty and Raul seem rather painful, the empty, burned out eyes of Caroline make him slightly queezy. Holy Hell! What happened? he exclaims, to no one in particular, before moving out of everyone's way. Reaching the cabinet, He opens it up, and grabs out the recommended medicine. As he turns, he sees a tired looking Lydia coming towards him. Hey, You need something outta here? You look beat, sit down and i'll grab it for you. He says, pulling out a nearby chair for her to sit in. Wyndell, should Lydia be having any more meds? Whats safe to give to her?

Go Tigers!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Lydia Morrison, of the Hope Killer - The Medical Bay

Lydia feels something tugging at her. Part of her recognizes it, the rational part, but the rest of her body can't react fast enough. Her mind pulls harder, and she feels her face fly out of the blue cloud, fly past it all into something else entirely...

Lydia wakes up. Still tired enough to go back to sleep, the tugging in her mind pulls her farther. The first thing she notices is her location. Clearly, she is in a sort of medical area for dealing with injuries. Her conscious mind is a bit foggy, however, and she fails to remember exactly where she was hurt. Blood comes to her memory for a moment as she moves to stand on her own two feet.

Turning around to examine the whole room, Lydia realizes that her vision is returning to somewhat normal. I still don't have any glasses... The thought crosses her mind for only a moment. She sees a blurry shape that resembles Giovanni, but she says nothing for the moment. Her observation of his wounds determines that he isn't in much better condition than she is. However, lack of medical experience and the small tugging continuing in her brain drags her away from him for a moment.

Something changes. Lydia screams as the pain returns to the back of her head. The rational part of her mind remembers the head wound, but the conscious part only screams in pain, asking for the blue cloud again, hoping to be free of pain once again.

(OOC: Don't read spoiler. It's here because I wrote it and don't feel like deleting it.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "They Come..."

The voice rings in her mind for only a moment. Her rationality tries to pull these words into her memory, but her conscious mind rejects it. It does not relieve her of pain, so the conscious part does not accept it.

People Lydia recognizes come in. Rational memories rise to the surface as she recalls them. Wyndell and Misty, the latter of whom seems injured in some way as she is rushed to the medical table Lydia was lying on moments ago. Next, she notices a native man carrying Janks. However, she does not recognize this native man from any point before.

Then she sees Caroline. Her eyes...gone. Burned out. The rational mind brimmed with sadness, but the conscious mind could care less. In fact, it only became more insane as this sadness amplified the horrible pain. Lydia couldn't think straight. She had to get rid of the pain...she had to stop the feeling for only a moment. Only a moment, she told herself. Her rational mind knew she was lying, but there was nothing it could do. I need to ease the pain. It's so hard to do anything...it hurts, so much...I need to...need to be rid of it.

Pain continued to rip holes in her body. Lydia grabbed her head and screamed again, this time with everyone in the room. Her rational mind quickly tries to fight back, trying to claw its way back into dominance. She begins talking, unsure of what she's saying as both the conscious and rational minds begin fighting for supremacy. "It hurts...need relief...can't...no...don't...the pain...no...endure...stop...can't...pain...I...God ..." Her conscious mind notices a medicine cabinet. Unable to gain control, her rational mind can only watch as Lydia moves for the cabinet, grasping at its doors in an attempt to open it and find the one thing that would soothe the pain.

She ignores all of Giovanni's words, reaching through the cabinet, panting, screaming words her conscious mind can't hear, but that she knows are meant to keep the others away from her while she searches for her savior.

Stop! STOP! STOP IT, DAMN YOU! STOP! STOP! STOP! Her rational mind tries to control, tries to stop this addiction, this terrible power. But it is powerless...having not had to fight the war for so long, Lydia can't help but succumb once again as she reaches through the cabinet and grabs the pills. She recognizes the label and quickly opens the bottle and downs four pills. Her rational mind knows that's four times as many as she's supposed to take. Her conscious mind only feels pain.

Mersical was all there was to the conscious mind. Mersical and pain. Lydia's rational mind stood no chance as she felt her throat swallow and the pills begin their slow process of numbing both the pain and her mind in a blue cloud, a blue cloud of pure happiness.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2008-05-12 at 12:45 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Misty Reviere - Upper Port Airlock

Her breath becoming shorther and shorther, Misty grasps her chest with her functional arm. But before long, what little strenght she has, leaves her and her arms falls down by her side. Lucky for her that Wyndell is there to support her, or she would probably fall down. when he picks her up, she feels like she could move on herself again, because she doesn't want to dissapoint him by thinking she is weak. Speaking in short, ragged breaths, she tries to convey to him that she doesn't need his help.

"I'm... I'm fine Wyndell. Really... I am."

But the truth is, she is anything BUT fine. As the colors start fading from her vision, she herself can realise that. Trying not to show any sign of discomfort, she fails pretty much in every aspect of this endeavor. As her eyes no longer project any pictures in her brains, she starts breathing faster once again. The combination of poison, exhaustion and wounds she suffered prove too much for her to handle and the darkness takes her.

Waking up, the pain is still there. Laying on a blood covered bed, she tries to look around, trying to assess the situation at hand. Trying to move her hands doesn't seem to produce any result. Hearing strange noises above her, she lets out a small voice, hopping somebody will hear her and come to explain to her what's happening.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wyndell Tendarri - On board Chasing the Second Star
    Medbay

Wyndell rushed as gingerly as he could into the medbay. The fact that Giovanni was now in the room and that Lydia was now up and about was noted, but quickly pushed aside. The only thing that jumped to the front of his thoughts was that the surgical bed was now clear. Setting Misty down carefully, making sure to turn her head to a comfortable position, Wyndell then rushes around to the beds terminal and monitoring display. The terminal’s screen was now much clearer to his focused eyes, and Wyndell’s hands flew across the system’s command inputs as a man possessed. Foregoing the medical proficient options, Wyndell instructed the machine to begin auto-diagnosis. In addition, he informed the diagnosing program that the patient had received large amounts of an unknown poison.

Immediately, metallic arms extended from the area above the bed, holding everything from syringes to scanners to IV packs. A long and thin syringe that was also connected to one of the clear pouches of liquid, descended alongside Misty’s uninjured arm just as the computer alerted Wyndell that is was administering a saline IV. A notification chirp pulled his eyes to a section of display that wanted confirmation to administer an epinephrine/atropine injection. Glancing over at a display of Misty’s basic vitals he saw that that her respiration and heart rate were sporadic at beast, and assuming the machine wouldn’t suggest it without reason, Wyndell punched in a confirmation and the computer responded immediately.

An arm dropped from the ceiling to hover just above Misty’s right thigh, on its end was a cylindrical construct that appeared to hold a number of tubes around its exterior. The cylinder rotated quickly, stopped suddenly, and then one of the tubes flipped out and revealed itself to actually be an injector. The arm darted down into Misty’s thigh with a quick hiss of air, and then retracted once more. The cylinder spun up again, before stopping and repeating the process with a second injector. Once completed, the arm retracted into the ceiling. Somewhere in the medbay he heard Giovanni’s voice, and those of others as well, but he was too focused to really understand. He had a single purpose right now. Not losing another one. Especially not this one. Wyndell’s attention was returned to the terminal’s screen, as yet another chirp sounded.

The terminal had shoved the display of Misty’s vitals off to one side, and replaced it with a basic representation of a human form, along with indicators for the arrows that currently penetrated Misty’s form. It also indicated that the arrows would need to be removed before repair to the surrounding tissue could be completed. No frap. Then the screen flashed quickly to zoom in on the arrow in her back, and red pulsing text began scrolling out, stating that internal organs had been pierced and risking perforation if the arrow wasn’t removed quickly. To provide emphasis to the importance and delicacy of the situation’s nature, a small drawer slid open to one side of the terminal. Inside Wyndell could see a number of instruments within, obviously surgical tools. And apparently the drawer’s surface was backlit, as the area beneath one of the tools suddenly glowed a pale white. Picking the instrument up Wyndell was able to identify it as a laser based device, logically a laser scalpel of sorts. Much more refined and sophisticated than most of the laser tools he’d worked with as an engineer, but still a fairly familiar implement. And unfortunately, he knew all too well what he was going to have to do.

Reaching back into the drawer, Wyndell pulled out two sanitary gloves, before closing the drawer. Punching in one last command, Wyndell instructed the auto-injectors to ready a dose of local anesthetic, but not to administer it just yet. Walking around the terminal, Wyndell pulled the gloves on and made sure they were good and snug. No slipping allowed. Coming to Misty’s side, Wyndell checked to make sure the laser was powered and proceeded to slice at the straps of the backpack Misty was currently wearing. In a calm and low voice, Wyndell spoke to Misty, not really sure if any of it was getting through.

“Misty, if you can hear me, I want you to just relax. Don’t try to speak, don’t try to move. Just stay awake okay.”

Starting with the top portion of the first strap he turned the laser to one of its higher settings, since the material was undoubtedly tougher than flesh, and switched it on to begin cutting. As he worked he continued speaking to Misty.

“I’m going to be straight forward with you Misty, you’ve got three more arrows in you than a healthy person should have. And while I’m no surgeon, I’ve performed my fair share of delicate procedures. Operations that required millimeter precision. So you just relax, and these things will be out before you know it.”

Moving to the bottom portion of the first strap, Wyndell tried to hurry his pace, but not too much. As he slowly singed through the fabric, Wyndell raised his voice to be heard over the rising din that seemed have come about.

“Matthias, I’m going to need your help over here in a second. Specifically, your hands. Giovanni, you too, maybe.”

Wyndell circled the bed to continue on with the other strap of the backpack on the other side. He moved carefully, but as quickly as he dared to. Time is of the essence. Hang on Misty.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni Fiori

Giovanni watches Lydia, sensing something is wrong, but figures it is just the painkillers. He's right, but not in the way he assumed. Before he can think on it to much, he is called over by Wyndell. he hurries to the table, wincing as he sees the scalpel in Wyndell's hand. What can i do to help? he asks, before turning and checking the various monitors to see if any would shed some light on the query.

Go Tigers!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Entering the medical bay, Matthias can see that treatment has already begun on Janks and Misty; Misty recieving the majority of the treatment since her wounds were more serious. Perhaps not as obviously horrific than Caroline's, but then again the arrows didn't appear so horrific because they did their damage internally: penetrate the skin and then shred organs and muscle, allowing the poison smeared onto its surface to dissolve into the bloodstream.

Since Caroline appeared able to fend for herself, at least for the moment, Matthias abandoned her to focus on Misty. "Caroline, we're in the medical bay. If you need anything, just let me know. I'll be over helping Wyndell with Misty."

Walking over to join Wyndell by the surgical bed as it began to inject a variety of drugs into Misty's bloodstream at Wyndell's command, Matthias frown as he caught a glimpse of the diagonsis screen: not good. "How can I help?" He asked, moving aside as Wyndell began using a laser scapel to cut away the backpack and patch of clothing around the arrow wound in Misty's back: apparently the most serious of the three arrows currently sticking out of her body.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thoft- Medical bay

As he got back into the med bay, the individuals began fading from his mind, each of them seeming more like ghosts than people. As he slowed his steps, so seemed reality, color began draining from his eyes. what used to be vibrant and beautiful colors of orange became the faded vestments of the sea of prisoners, what used to be the seacolored wonder of green became the dull LED screens, everything was normal, but everything was wrong.

Thoft looked at the object he still held in his hand, and felt himself getting lost in the silence of his mind.

It never even occurred to him to ask himself what he could use it for.

something snapped within him, perhaps instinct, perhaps some sort of training. find a familiar face

Thoft turned to his companion, Matthias, he beleived he was called, and handed him the arrow, perhaps there was a poison analyzer in this place, but it wasn't something Thoft knew, and nothing he could think of right now.

Looking at everyone inside the medbay, Thoft backed into the wall, his sweating back welcoming the cool metal bulkhead, and he slid down the wall, curling his knees towards his chest and laying his head on them.

as he closed his eyes, he heard screaming.
    Looking up, he saw her, Lydia, take the pain induced plunge down the way of addiction.
    If only he had the energy to think straight, he'd say... something, but all he wanted was rest. Rest and the hope that this was all just a dream.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wyndell Tendarri - On board Chasing the Second Star
    Medbay

Wyndell glanced up as he finished with the last section of strap, to see Matthias approaching the table. Nodding to acknowledge the man’s presence, Wyndell proceeds to remove as much of Misty’s jumpsuit that may interfere with the removal of the arrows. Unfortunately, there is little he can do about her back for the moment. Straightening from his last cut, Wyndell circles back to the implement drawer once more, and promptly pulls out a pair of gloves and tosses them underhanded to Matthias, incurring a puzzled look.

“No need to risk anything else getting into her wounds. And besides, some of that poison may have smeared externally, and the last thing we need is more people falling out.”

Bending over to examine the tools in the drawer, Wyndell rifles through them, picking some up and then dropping them back. Finally he grabs a few tools from the device drawer , and then comes back to the table where Matthias is waiting and moves to the opposite side.

“Okay, friend. Here’s the deal. I’m no surgeon, but I’m a damn fine engineer. And unless I’m mistaken, you’re probably no stranger to the very fine and delicate details of wiring a powered FTL core. Right now, I’d only trust the hands of another engineer to help me on this one.”

Nodding once more, Wyndell reaches up and switches on a small flood light above the table, bathing Misty in a bright incandescent glow. Bending towards the backpack, Wyndell begins to point out and gesture his plan as he explained it to Matthias.

“Very gently, you and I are going to lift the backpack up, but only a hair. All these other arrows seem to be barbed, and so there’s no reason to doubt that this one has them too. Basically, I just need enough room to get this beam at the shaft of the arrow, as well as this.”

Holding up what appears to be some sort of very long clamping device, Wyndell wiggles it a bit for emphasis.

“I have no idea what it’s called, but I’m going to grab the lower portion of the shaft to make sure it doesn’t slide in after I shear it off. Then I give you the word, and you lift the pack clear. After that, it’s on to phase two.”

Looking down at Misty’s prone form, Wyndell pops a knuckle or town in his right hand before looking back up to meet Matthias’s gaze.

“Right. Any questions? Suggestions?”

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Caroline Walker- Medbay

The concern had been almost irritating, at first; reassuring, but irritating. She could walk, after all, and was in better shape than either of the others for the moment. Her ey—the wounds—hurt, true, a throbbing pain that wasn't sharp enough to be called stinging but was too acute to be properly termed an ache, but drawing attention to that certainly would not help her. She supposed the wounds must be visually shocking, which probably had something to do with it.

Fortunately, the others seemed to realize the same thing, ignoring Misty's feeble protests and taking her and Janks on ahead to the medbay. Only Conway stayed to guide her, and he at least seemed to realize that she didn't want to have to be carried. Her sight was not going to come back, and the sooner she got used to it, the better.

And she did feel more used to it in the hallways, keeping herself carefully centered in the middle of the hall. That had even given her the sense that this wasn't all that bad, that it could have been worse.

The medbay taught her otherwise; it was crowded. She makes her way to an out-of-the-way bed and carefully sits, giving Matthias a quiet, "Thank you," as he leaves. Perhaps his presence really had been reassuring her, because now she was having difficulty. She hadn't ever really realized how intertwined the senses were—a voice would enter the ear, and the eye would instinctively search for the source and locate it, reaffirming the direction the sound was coming from. Caroline could still tell approximately where everybody was; but that sense was not linked to her hearing, her smell, her sense of touch, in the way that her eyes had been. She had to concentrate to try to filter out the voices—and it was hard. There were a lot of them—broken English she thought was probably the native who'd followed them, something incoherent that sounded like Lydia's voice, which she couldn't make out, Wyndell's voice speaking to somebody about how to treat Misty, a quiet rasp she couldn't place at all, clanking metal and people shifting and other noises blending into the bustle. Bustle—that was the word for it; none of it was even especially loud, but it felt like she was in the middle of a huge crowd with her eyes closed. Disorienting for one who couldn't tell where the noise was coming from. She wondered if the blind ever got over that.

With a faint sigh, she leans back and lies herself down across the bed. It didn't matter to her senses; she was as aware of the floor under her as the ceiling above her. She tried to ignore what they were actually saying for now, concentrating on the people so that she could separate out the voices. Wyndell, Matthias and Giovanni were clustered around Misty, which meant they were probably taking out the arrows. Lydia, the native, and the other unknown person were scattered around the room; the unknown was apparently sitting on the floor. It was a strange thing, this vision; she could "see" where people were, could tell their names (if the computer had them available) and their vital signs. What she couldn't tell was what they were doing; the signals were only vaguely human-shaped, and she was fairly certain after she'd tried to help Misty up that they were not kept up to date with the person's actual movements. She could tell if someone was next to her, but not if they were holding out a hand to her. Whatever systems the computer was using to display this—and it was a measure of Caroline's fatigue that she didn't immediately check this—apparently hadn't needed to give every person's exact position in real-time.

Brother Human... are you there? she tries. Not because she needed guidance—she could tell her organic mind needed a few minutes, maybe longer, to recover from the shock of the last half-hour or so. She simply needed someone to talk to, to relieve her mind from dwelling on this.

But he was still silent, which sends a pang of worry through her. She hadn't been able to sense his presence before, until he showed himself, but she tries now, attempting to tell if he was still contained within her circuits or the PCT. The worry grew, and she reminds herself that there was nothing she could do right now, that she had to take a few minutes to rest first. She sits up again, listening to the others to try to distract herself. Brother Human?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni Fiori

Seeing that Matthias and Wydell have Misty pretty much under control, Giovanni steps back and looks around to see what else he can do. Janks was out cold on another bed, and from the look of things was fine for now. Caroline was just putting her head down on yet another of the many beds in the area. Giovanni walks over to her, placing his hand on her shoulder. Caroline, its Giovanni. Is there anything i can get for you or help you with? I saw you come in, and while i'm sure you can get around fine...well, its the understatement of the year but it looks like you've been through a bunch. So if there's anything i can do, just call out, alright? He gently squeezes her shoulder in a reassuring way, and then goes and sits down off to the side.

Go Tigers!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Although Matthias gives a puzzled look at Wyndell as he tosses him a set of gloves, he nods at the man's explanation. "So we're doing this ourselves, we're not going to have the computer try to remove the arrows with some laser?"

As he slips the gloves on over his hands, pulling until the rubber is tight against the tips of his fingers, he smiles reassuringly. "I know that there are always things that seem better done by hand than letting some machine doing it. These hands have soldered more than one delicate set of wiring - they're yours to command. Oh, one moment!"

Turning to face the by-now familiar crewman, Matthias gingerly takes the arrow from him, gripping it gently a few inches down from the arrowhead as he turns back to the medical table. "Think we can have the computer run a medical scanner over this while we work, try to figure out if its got an antidote to the poison?"

Letting Wyndell deal with the computer part of the issue, Matthias quickly moves to a nearby scanner and sets the arrow down underneath it, hoping that a machine built for scanning flesh would be just as effective at analyzing something made of stone, wood, and poisonous plants.

Returning, he tugs on his gloves one last time, and nods at Wyndell. "Ready when you are."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Janks - Slumberland

Opening his eyes for a brief moment, Janks sees metal struts and walls floating by in a haze. He can also hear people talking, damp and unintelligible. Darkness surrounds his mind again, until a stinging pain in his but-cheek, pretty much the same as when the arrow entered it, wakes him up again.

Spoiler
    Show
    back home and ready to wake up with the next dm

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Saul Umati - Medical Bay

Saul watches the arms and outlanders swarm around the female, completely taken aback by the strange technology doing it's work. He had insufficient antidote to deal with her wounds, but the large unconcious outlander....him he could help. Saul turned to the prone giant of a man, mashing the various roots and venoms together that would provide the antidote to the arrows poison. Yes, the arrow was in an uncomfortable place, and a meaty area, so the muscle relaxant was probably playing merry hell with his torso. But it was well away from any vital organs, there was no doubt that he would be okay with a little treatment.

"Think we can have the computer run a medical scanner over this while we work, try to figure out if its got an antidote to the poison?"

Saul turned and saw one of the outlanders, apparently called Matthias, setting one of the arrows from the female down onto a strange sheet of metal. Smearing one finger into the paste now almost fully mixed in his hand, Saul holds it out to the man.

"This antidote. Not enough for both. You need sample?"

But Matthias seemed ready to help with the female some more, it would probably be sensible not to disturb him. Saul wiped his finger onto the stranmge metal sheet with the arrow on it, leaving a sample of the antidote about the size of a small pebble.

"It there when need it."

Saul turned to the sleeping outlander then, the texture of the paste slightly gritty in his palm. Yes, that seemed about enough, just the right consistency to start treatment. The arrow had indeed pierced deep into the mans flesh, but the wound looked clean and open. Saul gripped the arrows shaft just above the arrowhead and pulled gently, nodding as the arrow slipped smoothly out of the mans posterior, still dripping with green venom. The man seemed to be gained conciousness again, he'd heard a definite groan when he removed the arrow.

"Shhh, you okay. Here antidote....it very cold."

Saul put the hand full of antidote onto the area of wounded flesh, making sure as much of the paste as possible went inside the wound. It would soon permeate through the bloodstream and muscle, purging the outlanders system of the poison. The mixture was almost ice cold, a strange side effect of mixing the assorted leaves, roots and animal extracts in such a way. Saul massaged the remaining paste into the mans rump, not a bit embarressed, he'd done the same to man and woman alike amongst several tribes, neccessary in the brutal tribal lifestyles the people of Gaia seemed to force upon themselves.

Finally it was done. Saul stepped away, wiping the last residue of the antidote from his hand. He watched the outlander with interest, looking for any signs of life.

"You be fine now outlander. Hope your friend is same."

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn