New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Trapped! Defying Destiny

Janks - medical bay

Janks takes the gun and checks the safety while listening to Caroline.

Starboard nacelle... and you know that why? See that's exactly what I meant."

His voice is calm when he speaks to her. Carolines injuries inspire some tactfulness in him even.

Janks sneers at Wyndells comment, but acknowledges not splitting up the group for now. Then he positions himself in front of Thoft, listening to him distrustfully.

"Who is Oscar? Odysseus? Who are you? Look... if you're one of the guards from the prison ship... forget it. I sure as hell ain't going back there. We can settle this right now if you want."

"Watcha looking at? ... Ey! Are you listening?"

After staring into space for a few moments, Thoft suddenly collapses. Suprised, Janks takes a step back and raises his hands.

"What the... I didn't even touch him... I just wanted to talk."

"Wyndell it seems you won't be able to get that rest so soon. Can you have a look at that guy? I'm done playing doctor for today."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni Fiori

Seeing that Wyndall is once again just zoning him out, Giovanni gives him a sign inappropriate for mixed company and moves over to Lydia. Lydia, look at me. Lydia, how many Mersicals did you take? seeing that she's probably having trouble concentrating, he decides on a different tactic. Lydia, look, something is obviously not going as it should in your system, and Wyndall seems to either not care, or have better things to do...if you can consider talking up a chick more important than this. But unfortunately, i'm not a doctor. I have no idea what to do. So we gotta get his attention. Until then though, just try to sit tight. He then heads back to Wyndall. Hearing Janks on the way though, he calls over his shoulder The stranger keeps calling Wyndall that. Something from some old story or something. I've found its easier not to ask. Reaching Wyndall, he taps him on the shoulder, continuing to tap till he turns around. Look man, I enjoy chatting up a girl just as much as you do I'm sure. But Misty here is fine, and others aren't. You're the closest we have to a doctor. So i'll ask again. Do you know anything about Mersical or overdoses? I think Lydia's either taken to much, or she's having a reaction, and I have no idea what to do. I dont even know how to work these machines. So come and help with the people that need it, and then get back to your girl. Alright? He points over at Lydia, who's (hopefully) still sitting where he left her.

Go Tigers!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

With everyone seemingly out of immediate danger, those members of the group that could still talk predictably fell to arguing over a course of action. Pressing index and middle finger into his right temple, Matthias attempts to rub the growing ache behind his eyes away. He was getting too tired for this ****. And pretty soon he'd be too tired to do anything at all except sleep.

"Alright, look. Except perhaps the two crewmen here, one of whom just had his throat slashed open, and our new native friend, all of us have been going on no sleep for too long. Getting sleep should be our number one priority now, before we get stupid, followed shortly thereafter by just being plain dead. The problem with that is aside from a gigantic spaceship jumping into this system in a matter of hours which may or may not be on our side, and some sort of psychic boogeyman that can apparently rape our minds, and anything else we don't already know about, we're currently surrounded by a swarm of superhuman natives who want nothing more than to spill our blood. Apparently one of those *******s has already found a way inside the ship, and there's no telling how long it will take for more of his friends to slip in as well. So, because I don't want to wake up dead, before we all get some shut-eye I think we should make sure this ship is secure. Ideally, the best way to accomplish that would be to get this ship off the ground into space, but right now I have no idea whether or not this thing is still space-worthy, and how long the necessary repairs would take. So for now we might just have to settle for killing our guest, plugging up whatever hole he crawled in through, and hope to God the natives don't figure out a way to breach the airlocks for the next ten hours."

Turning to Caroline, Matthias gives a nasty smile, which quickly falters as he remembers that such facial expressions are lost on her. "I'm very familiar with Concelear radiation, as a matter of fact. In a nutshell, while a ship's FTL-core is active, it produces a type of sub-space radiation known as Concelear radiation. This radiation is absorbed into every molecule of matter within the jump bubble, and rapidly builds up. Shielding is only marginally effective, usually just enough to keep the FTL-core from frying everything else inside the ship. Fortunately, the radiation quickly dissipates upon return to real-space: this is why multiple jumps are needed during long trips, to give time in real space for the Concelear radiation to leech out of the ship and crew. Only exorbidently high levels of Concelear radiation tend to have an destructive effect on mechancial and electronic components of the ship. Instead, Concelear radiation is most devestating within living tissue, which for some reason seems to asborb the radiation easily and is very slow to release it. Failure to adequently drop out into real space during long trips or subsequently smaller rapid jumps without adequete venting time lead to Concelear Syndrome. This is an extremely debilitating condition, and often a fatal one. The Concelear Radiation has built up to such extreme levels within the victim's body that it begins to fall apart, possible as a result of key protein chains within the individual cells disappearing into hyperspace again. The victim's nerves rot away, muscles twist and deform as they pull away from the underlying bones, and the blood turns caustic enough to begin eating away at the blood vessel walls from the inside. I have heard execution by exposure to vacuum is extremely unpleasant, but I imagine a death from Concelear Syndrome could give it a run for its money. Why do you ask, Caroline? We should not have to worry about such things until we're actually in the midst of, or at least plotting, a hyperspace jump."
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Caroline Walker- Medbay

"I know where he is because I'm connected to the ship's systems," Caroline answers Janks, turning one of her hands palm upwards and tapping the metal inlay just above her wrist. She taps it with a finger, to make sure she got her point across. "Including the security systems."

She turns to Conway. "And I ask about Concelear radiation because those systems are picking up trace elements of it, centered around the sphere the native is carrying. The computer unit over there has details." She nods towards Wyndell's PCT, sitting quietly in the corner. That might be slightly off-putting to the others, she realizes; she had been turning to face the person she was talking or listening to, but since they were talking it made sense that she could tell what direction they were in. There was no way that anybody could hear what direction the computer was in, however.

She calls up the appropriate information on the PCT's display screen, linking the unit to the sensors that were picking up the information. Hopefully Conway could make more sense of them than she could; interstellar travel was something she knew very little about. She didn't know how much radiation was dangerous, or how fast it could build up. While she's at it, she adds the native's location to the ship's real-time schematics, as a red dot on the three-dimensional map that was still called up on the screen (perhaps Wyndell had used it earlier). She also searches for security cameras that can track the native at present, and should she find one calls up a third window, with a video feed to whatever camera could see the native best at present.

And that reminds her—why hadn't she thought to do this already, she wonders?—to investigate the rest of the ship. She first checks over the maintenance logs, not expecting much. If Brother Human had been keeping the ship flightworthy, he might have made entries there or he might not; but the ship would automatically log breakdowns it detected so that the crew could repair them as soon as possible. That would help tell her what wasn't working; because the detection systems could also break down, she knew better to rely on it to know what was in good condition. She also scans the rest of the ship's systems, both active and inactive ones, trying to get a sense for how well they will work and noting anything that seems significant. She pays particular attention to the internal security, searching for defenses as well as means of observing; she could guess that Chasing the Second Star was not a warship, but there was an off chance that there might be something. And if there were none... she would improvise.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wyndell Tendarri - Chasing the Second Star
    Medbay

Wyndell slowed turned his gaze from Misty to Giovanni, the soft and pleasant smile sliding completely from his face as he did so. Looking into Giovanni’s eyes for just a moment, with a dour expression most foreign to his face, Wyndell then shifted his gaze to where Lydia sat against a row of cabinets. Her eyes seemed unfocused, and her gaze was miles away. She simply sat there, slightly rocking in place, her facial expressions flowing between joy, fear, bewilderment, and terror, all in the blink of an eye. Wyndell loosed Misty’s hand and both his hands to push up from the surgical table. Just when he knees seem ready to fail on him, Wyndell reaches out and places a hand on Giovanni’s shoulder to help steady himself, and just to be certain of his stability he leaves his hand there for a moment, as he stood side by side with Giovanni.

“If you want my professional opinion, then I don’t have one. Because as I’ve been telling people for the last couple of days, I’m not that kind of doctor. In my own personal opinion however, I would be willing to guess by Lydia’s current appearance that she is some sort of junkie. Simple as that. And considering that I believe that pool of vomit in the corner to be hers, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that she’s probably been off it a while, as the induction of vomiting is just the sort of thing you would expect to see from someone who didn’t have a high tolerance for the stuff.”

Leaving his hand on Giovanni’s shoulder, Wyndell steps to stand face to face with the man, as he places his other hand on Giovanni’s other shoulder.

“In my opinion, the best thing to do for her now, is to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn’t get any more. Easy enough right? And since everyone seems to consider me the de facto physician around here, I hereby delegate that job to you my good man. But before you set about your new duties, there was one more thing.”

Suddenly, Wyndell’s left hand clamps shut in a twist of Giovanni’s jumpsuit, yanking him closer, while his right hand flashes to Giovanni’s neck, jabbing the emitter end of the laser scalpel that he had been palming under the man’s jaw. Their faces now mere centimeters apart, Wyndell’s voice becomes low and gravelly.

“And to this part I suggest you listen very closely, you over stuffed, arrogant sack of s**t. I’ve been patching your collective asses together since I woke up yesterday, and not once has a single platitude even crossed your minds. And yet I keep doing it, because I know what I need to do. So the next time you feel the need to try and tell me what is more important? Do yourself a favor, and go stick your d**k in a power coupler. It’ll be safer than what I’ll do.”

His part being said, Wyndell shoves Giovanni back, putting space between them once more. Watching to see if the man was going to try anything further, Wyndell slowly let himself back down to the floor so that he could speak with Misty again. This time though, he didn’t bother with trying to hide the laser scalpel in his hand. Or the fact that he was keeping a thumb on the power switch.
    Last edited by FireSpark; 2008-06-05 at 03:24 PM.
    The light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

Wanna check out all the nifty Homebrews I've done? Click Here! Hurry!

Awarded the Bronze Donkey by Serpentine, for the Ass at the End of the Universe.

Come on in and give a shout out from where ever you are!!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni Fiori

Giovanni stares unblinking into Wyndell's eyes as he makes the threats. As he's set down, Giovanni speaks quietly, so that only they may hear. You threaten me again, and you will die. You may take me out too, but the shard i have in my pocket will be in your throat, and your the only one here with the hands steady enough to sew you back up. Now look, I don't like you. I haven't liked you since i woke up next to you. I doubt that will change. But right now, we need each other. We need everyone here. So I'm asking you as one shipwrecked sailor to another to help the group, and make sure that the people who have problems are fixed before you go and give moral support. He turns after this brief speech, moving back to Lydia, making sure that there is no Mercical nearby, and then squatting down next to her Alright Lydia, not sure if you can get what i'm saying or not, but the running assessment is that your a junkie. I could care less what you do on your own time, but right now we need everyone. So I gotta get you off this stuff. Which means your sitting right here until you come down off this high, and then no more Mersical. I'll figure out what painkillers you can have next time I can get to a computer. Until then, lets sit tight. He sits down next to here, and leans his head back, just taking in the scene around him, keeping a watch on Lydia out the corner of his eye. He pulls the shard of bone out of his pocket and fiddles with it, twisting it around in his fingers.

Go Tigers!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thoft- Lydia's Mind (The AEther)

Thoft stood in a literal sea of undulating imagination, terrors and delights flowing around him in an foaming tide of memories, in the distance, he saw a woman, sprawling in the proverbial "sea" catching glimpses of both delight and terror with every twitch of her body.

Thoft had seen this before.

A screen appeared in the sea in front of him, showing both him and Lydia a snapshot of Thoft's memories.

Release the Tetraprovaline, your body no longer needs it.
    Repeated over in the community bedchambers of Thoft's prior profession, eleven bunks held eleven sleeping teenagers, each one drifting off to REM sleep.

Thoft looked at himself, and the screen slowly turned into a hideous mockery of what surrounded him and Lydia.

The teens all danced the macabre dance of addiction, longing for the next taste of the hideous ambrosia that kept them high. Then one, a spry young man, stopped, and saw the chaos around him, placing his hand on the nearest individual, and stopped them from twisting about horridly. One by one the children woke from their own infernal nightmares, and helped the ones around them to break the hold the medicine had held them in.

Thoft turned to Lydia, and began walking towards her, while she looked physically close, Thoft walked for what seemed like hours, as he reached for her. Time and space in this... dimension, were relative, and Thoft's ailing mind barely had the energy to make it to her, each wave of her memories making Thoft's aura weaker as his mind began to lose focus.

Until at last, he reached her twitching form. Calmly reaching for her face, and placing his hand on her shoulder. As he did so, he felt something, something he hadn't felt in 3,000 years. The gentle touch of kindred.

Like her physical form, she was small and fragile, but dim, almost without hope. She let the addiction take her, and with it, all of the painful memories.
    However, the addiction gave them back twofold, generating skullfaced horrors and her own personal hell.
    As he touched her, he could see some of what she saw; a man with a metallic arm quickly crumbling into dust, herself being crushed by rocks, hideous ghouls with her physical shape and other horrors that did not bear discription.
    Thoft looked at her face, sheilding it from whatever horror she currently visited. As Thoft's mind slowly lost focus, the color of his skin faded, but he kept an aura of consolation and compassion, so that he would not appear to her as a vengeful spirit.

"Wake up. Wake up and come home."
    Last edited by TheOutlander; 2008-06-05 at 11:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Misty Reviere - Medbay

As arrows are pulled from her body and she is cleaned of poison, Misty slowly start regaining her conscience. Lifting her head a little, she is still feeling very tired, if much better. Looking around, she spots a man she saw earlier, Wyndell working on him now. After what seems like only a couple of seconds to her, he obviously managed to perform another miracle, since the man soon gets up, feels his throat and starts speaking. One would expect such wound quite detrimonial to ones speaking ability, but apparently it doesn't affect this "Oscar" guy in the slightest. Still laying on the operation table, she squirms a little when Wyndell comes to her and kneels down to her level and speaks to her. She tries to smile at him, say thank you, something, anything. But she is tired, so very tired from all the running and fighting, all the blood loss, she can only let out a faint smile at him. But when she hears Giovanni talking about Wyndell and her... something inside her moves. Gathering her energy reserves, she tries to get up, but is beaten to it by Wyndell. As the scientist advances upon Giovanni and gives him the piece of his mind, she can't do anything else but wish for Wyndell to smack Giovanni.

How dares he!? What ever gave him that idea? We've been nothing but friends, brought together by dire circumstances. What about him and Lydia! He's been giving her the looks all around! Only looking after her? Pleeease! Why don't you just do something about it, you coward!

When Wyndell returns to her table, she finally manages to sit herself up, startling Wyndell a little by doing so. Stepping down from the table, she slowly limps towards Giovanni, ignoring the looks everybody gives her. When she comes to him, she looks him in the eyes for a second... and then gives him a strong slap across the cheel with her healthy arm. When the resounding sound can no longer be heard, she says to Giovanni, voice low and dangerous, not unlike anything she ever used before:

"Never say something like this again Giovanni, or you're going to regret it! Believe me, I can punch a lot harder than that. Even hurt like this."

Getting back to the table and Wyndell, she slowly sits down, not wanting to say anything else, just nodding her thanks to Wyndell. They would have to talk later, when circumstances would be more favorable and perhaps when they would all get some sleep. God knew she needed that and from the looks of it, so was everybody else.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

I should have expected that Giovanni says to Misty's back, rubbing his jaw. As the pain recedes, he continues talking to her, across the ship, as loud as his damaged throat allows him. You to come after me, who simply retaliated, rather than let your mind realize that your "amazing" Wyndell Tendarri might have also threatened to kill someone. I suppose this may have slipped by you though Misty. Wyndell is just like you and me. A convict. A bad enough one that he was sent to Hades. Now think about what the people who were sent there did. I don't know about y'all, but I can't think of a single thing that people usually let slide that will send you there. So I would suggest you get rid of your "Golden Boy" idea of him. I'd get rid of any idea you have like that of anyone who woke up with us Misty. I can't say about the new people, but i can guarantee that everyone here from our ship isn't the kind of person your momma would want you seeing.

Go Tigers!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

"What!? Unless that sphene was onboard a ship that had just jumped recently, it shouldn't be emitting any Concelear radiation!" Matthias exclaimed, walking towards Wyndell's PCT to examine the information Caroline was calling up. As he walked, he turned towards Wyndell, having patched the other crewman up and now back over by Misty. "Hey Wyndell, mind if I use your -" The remainder of Matthias's question dies on his lips as he sees the confrontation between Wyndell and Giovanni, followed shortly thereafter by Misty delivering a good hard slap despite her injuries.

Oh for Chrissakes. Extreme irritability was a common symptom of sleep deprivation, but this was just childish. But it could still turn even uglier than this, and perhaps result in another senseless death if things kept escalating.

"Alright, that's ENOUGH! ENOUGH!" Matthias snaps, moving to physically interpose himself between Giovanni and Wyndell/Misty.

"Yes we're all tired, yes half of us are gravely injured, and yes we're all a bunch of CONVICTS TRAPPED IN A NIGHTMARISH SITUATION THOUSANDS OF YEARS AWAY FROM HOME! TOO ****ING BAD! DO YOU WANT TO LIVE THROUGH THIS OR NOT? If you do, then great! Stop bickering, and start figuring out a way for us all to get some sleep without waking up with our throats cut! If you don't, THEN JUST DIE ALREADY! We're in the medical bay, we could probably whip up a drug cocktail to put you out of your misery with a minimum of pain. So if you don't want to cooperate, and survive by helping everyone else survive, that's fine. Just die so I don't have to deal with you anymore. SO LET'S HEAR IT!!"

Matthis whirls around to face Giovanni, jabbing an index finger at him. "Giovanni? What's it going to be? Live or die?"

He then proceeds around to Wyndell, then Misty, and from there around to everyone else in the room, asking the same question. Reaching the semi-comatose Lydia, Matthias pauses in the middle of the question. "Actually, we're going to wait to hear from you, until after we get you straightened out."
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2008-06-07 at 03:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Misty Reviere - Medbay

Hearing Giovanni talking to her, Misty says to him, without turning around:

"He saved my life. Convict or not, this is a debt I can never repay. I don't know what he did and I don't care. It can't be worse than what I did anyway."

At that her face hardens a little, but that is soon replaced by an expression of cold anger as Giovanni mentions her mother. This time, she does turn around, looks him directly in the eyes and tells him:

"My "momma", as you so eloquently put it, is dead. Last time I saw her was three millenia ago and at that time our relationship was more than stretched. Still, I hold nothing but fond memories of her. If you value your teeth, you will not speak of her again. Not in this tone!"

When Matthias intervenes in their little struggle and gives them the measure of reality, some of the fight seems to evaporate from her. Taking a deep breath, she finds herself a good spot to sit down and looks to Matthias.

"I don't want to die. Not just yet. Not after everything we've been throught. But I don't have the faintest clue what to do. Machines and electronics are unknown to me, these wounds prevent me from doing much at all. If you can think of anything useful I can do, tell me and I'll give it a shot."

Looking at Wyndell, she just nods as he gives her a concerded look.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Lydia Morrison, of the Hope Killer - Out of Body, Into Mind (The Medical Bay)

Lydia could barely react to anything for a few moments. She saw Giovanni approach her, heard his words, but couldn't do anything in response but laugh. Her rational mind was beginning to resurface from the addiction and it now realized that it was not in control of anything. The body could move, function, even speak in somewhat comprehensible tones, but the mind had no control. It was, without a doubt, one of the scariest experiences Lydia had felt in a long time. She recognized it, though. From a long time ago. From a moment when she had seen something much, much worse.

A hovercar, flying directly towards a window. That's when she last remembered being unable to stop her actions. She saw it vividly again for a few moments, knowing that her mind was not performing any vital action for her body now. Lydia felt her head turning, examining the whole room. She saw people moving. She saw people in perfect condition, even those who had previously been dying. She felt, once again, that she was alive. And that was a good feeling.

Something on the bed next to where Misty was lying caught her eye. Lydia saw a figure that looked strangely familiar. Her mind focused on it, specifically examining its features until there was no doubt in her mind. But it couldn't be her. The body was scarred, damaged, torn and ripped in places she had never remembered her body being. Lydia felt strange. The figure...it wasn't possible.

Then, she sat up and stared at Lydia for a moment. The figure's hand grasped a needle and stabbed into her arm and injected the flowing liquid that Lydia immediately recognized into her arm. Though she knew it was not flowing through her system, Lydia felt a shadow of its effects as the figure writhed with emotion and giggled. Her eyes...Lydia could never forget the vision of that girl's eyes, black and burned.

For a moment, the figure wavered. Her hands reached to her hair and played with it, braiding a few strands, as she faded away into nothing. Lydia felt her head turn again, and she saw a new figure, this one much more familiar and much more real. Lydia felt she could reach out and touch her, she was so real. Their eyes met, and Lydia knew. Lydia knew everything the thoughts in her head told her, the thoughts she knew were not her own but that felt so familiar, so real.

Lydia spoke. This time it was her real mouth moving, saying words to a nearby Giovanni, though she knew not who she was speaking to. "Check...check the jump sensors. Check them. Make sure that you check them. And make sure that they know. Make sure that everyone knows...everyone has to know...Everyone...Oh god...everyone..."

The figure was changing now. Blood seeped now from her nose and her ears. Lydia moved her hand forwards to reach at her face. She saw her hand touch it, become covered in it all over. Then the figure was on the bed once again, seizing and spitting foam. Lydia could not move herself. She could only watch, horrified at what was happening. The thoughts resounded in her mind, Lydia unable to look away from the scene that horribly unfolded before her.

None of this occurred in reality. Lydia only stared blankly towards the empty bed beside Misty, chanting the same phrase over and over. "Check the jump sensors...check the jump sensors...everyone must know...everyone must know..." She doesn't realize anything. She simply stares into space, looking at images that aren't there, but truly exist.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

I'll live for now, Why not right? Giovanni answers, before walking up to Misty and Wyndell. He extends his hand. My apologies for earlier. It was uncalled for. I'm tired. We probably all are. Reaching misty, he leans in and whispers into her ear Not sure if you recall or not, but I do believe i've gotten you out of a scrape or two myself. So try not to be so hard on me next time please. He goes back to Lydia, before asking the room Anybody know what Lydia means by "check the jump signals and letting something know?

Go Tigers!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Narration #17 – Wanderings of the Mind

• Somewhere where the Watchers Watch
      • TheOutlander – Dane “Thoft” Thoftsten
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Severe Mental Fatigue
          • Equipment:
            • Standard Ship Uniform – This uniform is made of a tough material to resist tears and scratches, with many pockets and places to attach and hold items.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Reaching out into your mind you touch upon Lydia. Wrapped in layers of addiction and drugs you look upon her. You start to see double, both through your eyes and hers. In your eyes there is only an empty bed, but through her eyes you see her laying in it in the fits of convulsions. Her blood soaked face starts at herself standing there screaming out a warning that you can’t make out, for the words stretch as if being threaded through a tiny rip in the universe.

Yet you sense the touch upon her. She is kindred in more than drugs, she is kindred in abilities of the mind as well. The Lydia you know has not touched the gift yet, yet the Lydia that is on the bed clearly has as she projects herself through to herself.

Then the bedridden Lydia dies.

Metaphysical winds rip into you and tug you closer to Lydia. You see her start to struggle, to stay away from the vanishing corpse that it turning more and more into a blackened shadow of what it used to be. Yet you are tired, you have pushed yourself too far and with a wordless cry you body goes limp and collapses on the deck.

You find yourself hovering within the medical bay of the ship. Next to you is the essence of Lydia hovering there. You know that your body is somewhere else that somehow you have slipped the confines of it. Memories of others doing the same trickle through your mind and all that you know is that the body and not survive like this for long, that if you do not return to it soon it will die as will you.

The medical bay is devoid of people except for a corpse of a Lydia lying on a bed, her eyes open to the world. The hatch opens and Giovanni stumbles in, clutching his arm that is barely hanging onto the shoulder thanks to a few pieces of burnt flesh. Looking at Lydia his face collapses into sorrow and he falls to his knees before being thrown to his side as something tears at the ship.

You know that you can talk to Lydia but it is very doubtful that anyone else could “hear” you.

• tvga8889 – Lydia Morrison
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Severe head wound – Treated and Healing
            • Under the influence of Mersical – Pain free and high as a kite
          • Equipment:
            • Torn Prisoner Jumpsuit – The remains of a standard issue cyro-stasis prisoner jumpsuit. It preserves your modesty to the degree that the wearer desires, but offers no extra protection.
            • Severed Metallic Arm of Malaki Shares – This is the severed artificial arm from Malaki. No longer connected to him it does not work, yet it is of a sturdy design and could function as an emergency weapon or tool if needed.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Speaking out your warning you watch the vanishing version of yourself. As she fades she starts turning into a shadow. Yet you sense something near you and you can see the one that is being called “Thoft” looking at you with eyes that delve into your soul. His presence within your mind seems to make the image you were seeing clearer, more real that it possibly could be. The vanishing shadow seems to pull you in as winds tear and rip into you. You can see Thoft is also struggling with a wordless cry your body falls to the deck.

[i]Floating around you see yourself lying on the bed. The readouts have flatlined, no breath goes through your lips, and your heart has completed its final beat. Yet looking around you see that the others have fled, except for Thoft, or rather the essence of Thoft that is with you in this realm that you have stumbled into. You get the sense that he is more familiar with what has happened but is also confused.

The hatch opens and Giovanni stumbles in, clutching his arm that is barely hanging on thanks to stubborn tendons and skin. He sees the corpse and he falls to his knees. Distant words touch upon ears that are really not there.

”Why? We were so close? Why?!?”

The deck heaves to the side yet you are not affected, through Giovanni is thrown to the ground. You get the impression that communicating with Thoft would be easy, a walk in the park however communicating with anyone else in this ship would be very difficult at best.

• Chasing the Second Star – Medical Bay
      • The_Snark – Caroline Walker
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Eyeballs Burnt out of Sockets
          • Equipment:
            • Torn Prisoner Jumpsuit – The remains of a standard issue cyro-stasis prisoner jumpsuit. It preserves your modesty to the degree that the wearer desires, but offers no extra protection.
            • Emergency Medical Kit – This medical kit comes with basic bandages, medications, various devices and a compact scanner used to help treat people.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Passing over the pistol to Janks you find it is childs play to bring up the information on the PCT. More and more you find that this new “sight” you now possess is becoming easier to use. Running through the ship you find footage of the native. He has broken out into a sweat and the hand holding the sphere is blistering and smoking yet he is pushing himself past the pain as he struggles to walk towards the Engineering section of the ship.

Leaving the matters regarding radiation to the experts you go through the logs of the ship. You find that there are well over 3,000 years worth of logs and even with your abilities it will take significant time to go through them. Skimming through them you find several areas that merit further investigation however you focus on the current status of the ship.

The logs indicate that everything is operational on the ship. However the fuel reserves on the ship are low and currently the ship is running in a reduced power mode. Most of the technical details you do not have knowledge on though you know that you can pipe the information to the PCT if needed.

Searching for internal defenses you find none. Externally there are several weapon mounts that seems to be used for defensive purposes. Internally however the best you can find are emergency bulkheads that deploy in the event of a hull breach. There is also always the option for improvising additional defenses as well on the fly.

• Ubersquid – Raul 'Janks' Jenkins
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Arrow Wound in Buttocks – Treated with Antidote that is preventing bleeding.
          • Equipment:
            • Repair Kit – This kit contains an assortment of tools used for common repairs along with some raw supplies that could be needed. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing they can repair armor and even make basic ammunition with the contents.
            • 4mm Defender Rifle – This rifle is a standard weapon that can be used against armored targets. Firing 4mm solid state slugs it can damage/penetrate most personal body armors. Carrying a 100 round magazine per cartridge it is a very sturdy weapon as well and simple to maintain, aiding it in working in most environments despite abuse. It is fondly related to the ancient AK-47 rifle when compared to durability and reliability.
            • 2mm Semi-Automatic Needle Pistol – This pistol uses tiny rounds that are designed to penetrate organic matter and shatter within, causing massive internal damage to the target. These rounds are ineffective against armored targets for the rounds will simply shatter against harder substances. Used on most ship as basic security because they will not penetrate the hull if discharged. Each cartridge contains 20 rounds.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Checking the pistol you check it over and find that at least to a casual glance that it is working fine.

Observing the conflicted that brewed up you noticed that off in a corner of the medical bay both Thoft and Lydia collapsing at the same exact time. Lydia is caught by Giovanni who was standing there, however Thoft hits the deck hard.

Looking around to see if anyone else is going to play doctor you notice both Matthias and Wyndell growing pale as they look at the PCT screens which from what you recall Caroline talking about she is sending information to them.

• Mordokai – Misty Reviere
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Cuts, scrapes and bruises over body
            • Arrow wound penetrating left shoulder – Treated and Bandaged
            • Arrow wound lower back – Treated and Bandaged
            • Arrow wound left upper thigh – Treated and Bandaged
          • Equipment:
            • Armored Survival Backpack – This backpack contains basic survival supplies including the following:
              • Vibration-charging Flashlight/Lantern – Uses the vibrations generated by movement to charge an internal power source. Need more power, shake it!
              • Air/Water Distiller – This device can absorb the ambient moisture in the air and collect/filter it to provide a source of drinking water. Also contains a hose that can be used to suck in water from other sources where it will be filtered and purified.
              • Multi-Purpose Tool Kit – Containing a small amount of tools that can be used for the most basic of repairs of devices.
              • Communications Relay – This device is a complex communications relay that can be used to signal orbiting ships or link various systems together to provide a means of communication.
            • Emergency Medical Kit – This medical kit comes with basic bandages, medications, various devices and a compact scanner used to help treat people.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          Sitting back down after delivering the slap to Giovanni the pain from the wounds that managed to breach the barriers of the painkillers starts to fade away. As you rest you can see Thoft and Lydia both stiffen and fall to the deck, apparently unconscious. Lydia is caught by Giovanni however Thoft hits the deck hard. Turing to Wyndell you see his face growing pale as he looks into his new half-glasses where you can make out images flashing by on it.

• Firespark – Wyndell Tedarri
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Using Stims – Enhanced Coordination and Mental Functioning
          • Equipment:
            • Custom-Made Contacts
            • Custom-Made Glasses – Connected to PTC providing a HUD linkup with it.
            • Personal Computer Terminal - This portable computer terminal is a common piece of equipment. A universal adapter allows it to be plugged into any normal computer terminal, bypassing its functions and allowing on access to the core programming of the terminal, making it easier to make changes or access systems that shouldn't be accessed normally.

It is 17" wide and 12" long and 2" deep, and weighs about 5 pounds. The screen is an adaptive display, able to be changed to what the user prefers, and it is very durable.
            • Medical Laser Scalpel – A common medical tool this scalpel generates a laser that can be adjusted to determine the amount of time it would take to cut through flesh and bone. At the lowest level it will slowly cut open skin, at the highest it has been compared to a “lightsaber” from some obscure movie back in the 20th century, however at the highest power setting it will drain the battery in a matter of minutes. It can cut flesh and cauterize it at the same time aiding in surgeries to help control bleeding.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          With the laser scalpel at the ready you let yourself rest on the floor. Remembering that Caroline was talking to Matthias about Concelear radiation your glasses pipe a vision of what is being displayed on the PCT.

At first glance it looks to be a standard analysis of Concelear radiation which is generated mid-jump when the ship has been ripped from reality. Yet the source is internal and it is NOT from the FTL core. Despite common misconceptions about how engines worked Concelear radiation is never generated via a ship, in fact it is impossible to replicate artificially without doing a FTL jump. Hence why apparently a native holding a sphere that is generating Concelear radiation without doing a FTL jump is very disturbing.

Especially since the native is making his way to engineering where the FTL core was in cold-shutdown.

One of the many projects you worked on in the past was how to better shield FTL cores from Concelear radiation, especially external sources. Some general with too little brains and too many family connections feared sabotage with a enemy agent sneaking onboard a bomb that would generate Concelear radiation onto a military warship and use it to destroy the FTL core. It too many meetings and presentations to convince the general that such a plan was doomed to failure since Concelear radiation dissipated rapidly in normal space, was impossible to generate artificially and that the source of radiation would have to be massive and placed near the core itself to do anything.

Yet this time it seems that there is a renewable source of Concelear radiation, more than enough to fry a core and nobody blocking the path of the native yet.

Checking the map you can see that it is still possible for someone to intercept the native before he reaches the FTL core. Another display appears this time showing the native through the lens of a security camera. He is starting to exhibit the classic signs of Concelear radiation poisoning, yet he is still able to push himself past the pain and is walking towards the core.

• mf11 – Giovanni Fiori
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Damaged Throat – Able to Breath but can only whisper.
          • Equipment:
            • Sharp shards of a shinbone from a Corpse – Taken from one of the dead crewmembers onboard Chasing the Second Star it can serve as a cudgel, but due to the age it is not very durable. The shinbone itself was shattered and now all that remains are very sharp fragments.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          With the shinbone at the ready you do not need it yet. As you ask about Lydia cryptic warning her eyes roll into the back of her head and she collapses. You quickly catch her and ease her gently to the ground. Her eyes are still open however you can only see the whites with the barest trace of her pupils at the very top of her eyelids. She is still breathing and has a pulse however she is not responding to any stimulation.

You are also aware the Thoft has also just collapsed as well at the same exact time.

• Inspectre – Matthias Conway
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Using Stims to keep running – Enhanced Speed and Mental Functioning
          • Equipment:
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          After shouting at everyone it seems that your words have a calming effect on those about to go after each others throats. Returning to the PCT you see that it is now displaying an incredible amount of information regarding what Caroline “saw”.

According to the tracking display the native is walking towards the main Engineering section of the ship. The radiation readings are strange for the levels are actually increasing, not decreasing. Even in the laboratory it was impossible to increase the amount of Concelear radiation without performing an FTL jump, and clearly that was not happening for there would be a mass of other signatures as well. It was as if that sphere was able to generate the radiation within itself.

You realize that this is bad on many levels. FTL cores are delicate objects, which is why designing them for ships that would be in hostile environments, like ships of war and exploration was so difficult. Besides the mechanical aspect of it there is also the radiation to consider. The cores themselves were vulnerable to the radiation which is why even unmanned probes needed time in real-space to let the radiation dissipate. Yes they could travel farther than a ship with humans onboard could but a long enough jump would most likely fry the core.

That or having a source of Concelear radiation being injected into the core while it was cold-shutdown.

Such a feat of sabotage has never been accomplished before since it was impossible to recreate Concelear radiation artificially yet looking over the readings you see with mounting dread that if that sphere got to the core it would turn it into an expensive paperweight that even with the talents of yourself and Wyndell would be impossible to fix. That and it is unlikely there is a replacement core anywhere nearby.

There is still time to catch the native before he reaches engineering. Another window appears showing the native, and with sympathy you see the signs of advance Concelear radiation poisoning. A lesser man would have been dead but it seems that the natives are made of sterner stuff for he is pushing himself step by step towards his destination despite the hand burning, his orifices leaking blood and his skin blistering. It was a one-way trip for the native no matter what yet it seems that he will make it to his destination.

• Gig Complex – Oscar 'Lucky' Erickson
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Partially slashed throat – Treated and Bandaged
          • Equipment:
            • Standard Ship Uniform – This uniform is made of a tough material to resist tears and scratches, with many pockets and places to attach and hold items.
            • Shinbone from a Corpse – Taken from one of the dead crewmembers onboard Chasing the Second Star it can serve as a cudgel, but due to the age it is not very durable.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          As you recover you twist your neck carefully to avoid tearing open the wounds, however other than some residual pain it seems to be holding itself together and not spilling any of your blood. Observing the prisoners start to fight among each other you find yourself wondering about the missing equipment. The medical bay seems to be fully stocked, yet the chamber you woke up in was stripped bare of everything. The spheres are also brought up in conversation by the woman without eyes, was she referring to the spheres that were plugged into the cyro-stasis tubes that you were sleeping in? And they are insane.

It might be a good idea to bring this up, except you notice two of them, the one that was playing doctor and another one looking at a PCT are both going pale as they look over the displays.

• Banjo1985 – Saul Umati
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: 100%; No Injuries
          • Equipment:
            • Tribal Clothing – Simple yet rugged leathers that perverse your modesty. Because of the extra time you spend out hunting you have added a nice vest and pants while most of the natives wear only a loincloth.
            • Hunting Bow & Arrows – A simple yet durable hunting bow that has served you faithfully for many years that has excellent range and accuracy. In addition you have a full quiver of arrows that you wear on your back.
            • Hunting Knife – A simple long-bladed knife that is used mainly for skinning and preparing game, though it would make a deadly weapon if used properly.
            • First-Contact Computer Interface Unit – Taken from a crashed probe from times long ago, this CIU has provided you the basics on spoken Common and a general history of humanity that you otherwise would never have known. It was designed to aid in first-contact situations by providing basic information on humanity to other lifeforms. Using it you found that you are not a mere slave, but rather a human as well, and that things should be much different from what they are. Luckily for you this unit is small enough to keep hidden from the rest.
        • The Narration
          Spoiler
          Show
          [ooc]Out Until June 2nd[/ooc]
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre
    I'm good at making you fear the unknown. Pwenet is good at making you fear the known, which had been the unknown five minutes before he pushed you off screaming into the abyss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    I'm feeling this real hard now.
    Curse you, Pwenet. Curse you.... You had my hopes up there...

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Lydia Morrison, of the Hope Killer - Out of Body, Into Mind (The Medical Bay)

Lydia felt something was wrong. She saw the figure before her fading away, fading into nothing. The blood on her hand faded as well. Lydia didn't understand quite what was happening. Her hand reached, grasped at air as the figure pulled away into darkness.

Then there was a foreign presence. Lydia saw a man stepping towards her, and her eyes seemed to meet his. The reality that Lydia saw suddenly became more real, her mind altering to this new existence. Somehow, Lydia felt something different about the eyes she saw, yet something terribly familiar. It was as though they had seen what she had seen. They reminded her fondly of another's eyes.

The shadowy figure pulled at Lydia. She felt the rush of gale winds and instinctively grabbed at Giovanni, whom she perceived to be near her. But her hands went through him as though he did not exist, and she felt herself leave her physical form behind, drifting into a realm between existence and non-existence.

Lydia's body convulsed for a second. Her eyes stared into space for a few choice moments before they closed and she fell limp. For a moment or two, her mouth continued to make the motions of her chant, though no sound came from that small opening. Then she was silent, save for a few breaths.

Lydia watched herself die. Despite how many times she had tried to kill herself of her own power, this sight made her very pained. The ringing of the machine made her heart feel as though blades had pierced it. Gripping her chest, Lydia could not turn her head from the body on the table. She knew it was her own, and yet it seemed so surreal. Floating towards it, Lydia reached out and touched her own face, still unable to truly comprehend what is going on before her.

Turning, she sees the form of that man she saw previously. His name immediately pops back into her memory, and she quickly uses it. "Thoft, what the **** just happened?" Quite a first impression you're making. The thought went through her mind for a moment before action interrupted her processes.

The door to the room opened and Lydia, on instinct, forced her floating body away from the table. Lydia recognized immediately that the room was one she had been in just before; the medical bay hadn't changed much. However, the man she saw step through the door had changed. He had changed quite a bit. Lydia couldn't help but yelp at this new change.

Giovanni came in to the room, staggering. Lydia felt pain again at the sight, more than she had expected. His arm was barely attached to his body. It was a sight that Lydia felt she never should have seen. She watches as he falls to his knees, screaming a lament at her. It made her incredibly sad to watch this. She turned up to Thoft, hoping to pull something from him. What is going on here...My god...

The entire ship shook. Lydia didn't feel her body move at all, but she saw Giovanni shake at the shift. She grabbed her right wrist with her left hand, wanting to move but paralyzed by both fear and a lack of understanding. She looks to Thoft again, wondering at what would happen.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Medbay

Wyndell’s chest tightened as he watched Misty finally rise, only to unsteadily cross the room to slap Giovanni across the jaw. A cold ice formed in his gut as he slowly came to his feet, watching to see if Giovanni was going to retaliate, and hoping that he wouldn’t. Fortunately, Misty made it back to the bed, and sat back down slowly, though Giovanni did have a few choice words for them. Then Matthias stepped in. Typically, Wyndell was of the mind that yelling at people didn’t tend to work very well as a motivational tool. However he could definitely accept that this was an extreme situation, and as the old axiom went, extreme situations called for extreme measures.

Once everything had calmed down, Matthias went back to answering Caroline’s question regarding Concelear radiation. His mind spun a bit, but then he did recall her asking the question. He had simply been too busy threatening Giovanni at the time to pay it any real attention. But now his mind shifted into gear, digging up everything his memory held on Concelear radiation. The reasons of generation, the methods of channel and control, and even the affects it had on biological substance. However, in all his memory, the only source that Wyndell knew for Concelear radiation was a vessel that was either traveling at hyper-see speeds by way of a jump core, or one that had just finished a jump. But his memory was three thousand years out of date.

As Matthias continued speaking, Wyndell’s HUD began flickering as it started to receive new input from the PCT lying on the shelf. There was too much information trying to be crammed on however, and it all just blurred together. Wyndell touched Misty’s arm softly as he headed over to the PCT to clear things up. He didn’t know why he did it, but rather it felt almost instinctual. As he got to the PCT, Wyndell looked back over at Misty sitting on the surgical bed. Her eyes seemed deep, and her skin was paled from exhaustion. And yet when he looked at her he didn’t feel sorry for her, or any sort of pity. What he felt could only be described as concern, but even that wasn’t enough. Wyndell couldn’t seem to come up with a word strong enough to describe the tightness in his chest and throat. When he realized that Misty was looking back him almost questioningly, Wyndell gave himself a shake. Get your mind back in the game Wyn. We’re not out of the woods yet.

Going to work on the PCT Wyndell was able to quickly sift and sort the plethora of images and information floating over the screen. What he saw gave him pause, and Wyndell swore for a moment that he actually felt the blood draining from his face. The native intruder had been located, and was in fact under the eye of one of the ships security sensors. In his had he held the pulsing orb of one of the A.I.s that they had encountered upon their arrival in the cave on the surface. The man was exhibiting the classic signs of internal bleeding and damage, and though the image was not clear, Wyndell could have sworn that the man’s arm was beginning to buckle and distort. But it was neither of these things that caused Wyndell to pale so quickly. He had quickly surmised why someone would want to take what was essentially a Concelear emitting device into the engine.

“Ah s**t.”

An FTL core was an enormously complex device. And like all technological devices before it, the more complex something was, the more sensitive it was to external stresses. Ironically enough, Concelear radiation was one of those things that could really throw an FTL core off kilter, and thus why next to the personnel areas, the engine room was one of the most shielded parts of any ship. Too much radiation built up in an active core and you could risk permanent damage, but a radiation build up in a shutdown core? It could cause an energetic cascade within the exotic elements that made up the central nucleus of a drive core. If that happened, then the Chasing the Second Star would cease to resemble an ancient space vessel, and instead would convert into crater form in a most explosive fashion. But not today.

Quickly pulling up schematics for the vessel, Wyndell had an idea. A series of ideas actually. And in spite of the dire nature of the situation, Wyndell couldn’t but grin to himself.

“We have a problem. But I have a plan.”

Snatching up the PCT and slinging it over his shoulder, and making sure to pick the laser scalpel back up, Wyndell started for the center of the room.

“Matthias. Our intruder is headed for engineering, where the FTL core is in shutdown mode I might add, and apparently those AI spheres have found some way to tear up subspace without making an FTL hump. And I’m sure you know what that means.”

Coming to stand by the surgical bed, Wyndell watched as Thoft and Lydia fainted almost simultaneously. And though normally he would be one of the first by their sides, they had more continued speaking.

“I recommend that you and Janks head back to the engineering bay. Janks can give you cover, and if we’re fortunate, put this intruder out of our misery. While you can try and fire up the main fusion reactors. I have every intention of getting off this rock, and I’m starting to think the sooner the better. Misty, if you’re up to it, I could use a hand on the bridge.”

Making for the door, Wyndell had one last thought.

“Crewman Erickson. I realize that you’re in kind of a tough spot right now, quite intimately so, but I could really use the assistance of someone with your level of familiarity of the ship. But only if you’re up to it. And Giovanni. We may not agree on some things, and frankly I don’t really care if we ever agree on anything again. But if Janks does leave, I want you to lock this door, and don’t open it unless you here from us.”

Turning then to open the door, with a last look to the newly unconscious members of the team, Wyndell stepped cautiously out in the hall with laser scalpel in hand.
    The light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

Awarded the Bronze Donkey by Serpentine, for the Ass at the End of the Universe.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thoft- The Miasma of the Space-Time Paradox

As Thoft tried to cover Lydia from the horrors of her own mind, he felt himself pull away, and be carried with the tide, leaving his body to painlessly hit the floor. While Thoft was pretty sure the situation was dire as he left his body, as he felt himself pull Lydia away from hers, and into a hell he could only dream of.

or... The ship. With more things going wrong.

"Well, that's less than Ideal."

Thoft said, placing his hand through the table as he learned he was incorporeal.
    Then, Lydia died. not his Lydia, and when he says his Lydia he doesn't mean that he owns her, but only that she is in his care, not that she needs taken care of, but she's the one that Thoft actually knew....

It wasn't the Lydia that came with him who died.

That's when she started yelling at him. not that he didn't deserve it by any means. Thoft was actually Impressed she was cogent, not many mundanes could have made the trip to what Thoft liked to call "The Astral Plane" without splintering their personalities, or becoming nothing at all, but then again, upon closer inspection, Lydia was not mundane. It was subtle, but beautiful, like adding salt to a watermelon, no wonder she had such an effect on him.

"The **** is this: I messed up. I tried to take you out of your drug induced reverie, and I kind of took you out of your body, still a neat trick for a guy who's lost over two pints of blood from the transfusion, the nosebleeds and other such things but still, not what I was going for. So much for first impressions. "

Thoft lost his train of thought as the man he once recognised walked in, holding what was left of his arm in his other. looking at the dead Lydia, Giovanni wept because of what happened, Thoft took a wild guess and figured it wasn't good.

Thoft heard lydia's thoughts as clear as he heard his own, perhaps the Aether had more in store for them than he had thought.

The ship rocked, and Thoft instinctively grabbed for a ledge, forgetting that he was incorporeal.

Lydia looked to him with a pleading sigh.

"If I had to guess where we are, I'd say we're in one of an untold billion different futures, which is the closest to our present as i can figure the universe is headed. Not much in the way of metaphysics but that's what I've gathered from the trip over here."

Thoft saw that she was in shock, whether from the fear of her new environment, or because she was in her first out of body experience, she seemed utterly shaken.

"Thought." Thoft said, snapping his fingers, "If we can figure out what Giovanni saw, then we can stop this from happening. a chance for a way out." Thoft looked into her eyes, "Back home."

The irony was not lost on Thoft who knew that the god forsaken ship he was on was anything but home, but onward he plunged into the nightmare, assaulting the gates of hell.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni

How do you plan on getting rid of whatever that native is carrying that's producing the radiation? If Matthias and Janks are in there working... Well, i bet they don't wanna be doing that with radiation spewing right next to them. Its a sound plan other than that, but I just thought we should address that point. As he speaks, he sets Lydia down, and moves to thoft to make sure he's still breathing and nothing seems horribly out of place. Real quick before anyone goes anywhere, lets get these two up on beds. Its the least we can do for them. Giovanni walks back and picks of lydia, and walks over to the nearest bed to lay her on it.

Go Tigers!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Halfling in the Playground

Oscar, Lucky and Then Some

Coughing slightly Oscar turned slightly to the man who had patched him up,

Like I said the name's Lucky, but anyways looks like I'm the only one left with any actual memory of the ship so I guess I can't really say no. Plus you saved my life so it's not like I'm gonna say **** off.

Swinging himself up off the table Oscar is noticable wary of those around, even though the verbal sparring had stopped.

I'm not sure if it is of any relavance, but that sphere that the prick that cut me looked a good deal like those that were hooked up to Thoft's and mine cyro-pods. So after we take care of this **** we should probably see if their giving off that radiation crap too.

Now turning to the now crumpled Thoft,

Well I'm not sure what your lady friends connection to the rest of you guys, but Thoft here is fellow crewmember and I'm not just going to let his ass lie there on the floor, so if any of you mind helping me?

With or without anyone's assitance Oscar attempts to manhandle Thoft up onto the medical table he had been on before dusting himself off.

Now I'm not sure exactly what might have been nicked and what might not have been but I really don't want to go up against that ****ing prick that cut me without a nice knife or club or something at least to keep the distance.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Lydia Morrison, of the Hope Killer - Out of Body, Into Mind

Lydia sort of just turned her head away as Thoft finished speaking the first time, so that she barely realized that he had ended his words with the same set of words she had just thought a few minutes before.

Thoft's explanation seems to hit Lydia harder than she expected. So this is a ******* alternate reality? So this hasn't happened yet, but most likely will. A reality formed by a set of choices, is that it? Lydia thought of something she'd heard before, or read before, or something. She remembered it, because for the longest time she'd believed it. It was this weird belief that there were countless alternate universes in existence, each one created by a different choice made by someone in their lifetime. There was a universe where someone's hovercar turned left instead of right. There was a universe where someone's father lived in the accident. There was a universe where someone's...hadn't died on some godforsaken planet in the middle of no where. There was a universe where something had changed because someone had decided to eat a sandwich rather than go out and make a child.

Lydia cried. She cried and Thoft explained his idea to her. For a few moments, she looked down and tried to think of a response. Come up with something useful to say. What's wrong with you? He's dead, you know it. It's painful, fine. Let it go. There are bigger things happening right now. You can be sad for yourself after you figure out why you're here. Pulling her head back up, Lydia began to talk. "Thoft, you're trying to tell me that we can stop this from happening? What if I don't want to stop this from happening? Look at me down there. I'm dead. Is that so terrible? I've never been there before. It'd probably be better than whatever hell I've been forced into now that I'm off that goddamn ship." The tears had stopped falling down her face, but something she'd just said seemed to make her want to start crying again.

Some of those words made Lydia think a bit more. So, is this it? Is this everything there is? You fall in love, one of you dies, the other dies and that's it? That's all there ******* is? Why are we even born if all we're supposed to do is fall in love and die? Tears fall down her cheeks, now swollen as she looks back up at Thoft. "How do you know we're not all better off dead, huh? Death sure as hell looks better to me now than whatever the hell's going on in my real life! I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't want to go back to a body that's just been high on that goddamn drug again. I am ******* tired of being alive at this point." The anger and sadness in her voice are obvious, but so is the strain. It's as though she's trying to convince herself. And, to a point, she was. No matter what she said, Lydia would cling on to the feeling that she knew was real. She knew she couldn't feel that if she was dead.

"Why do I want to go back? Why do you even want to go back? We're on a ship somewhere on some godforsaken rock with a bunch of murderers!" Lydia was having a little trouble with her grasp on reality now. Her hands were shaking. In fact, her entire body was shaking. With nothing to hold, Lydia nervously held her arm again, still crying and shooting glances at her own dead form and Giovanni's severed arm. Part of her wanted to never see anything again. And part of her knew exactly what they would see if they decided to find out what the hell was going on.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Misty Reviere - Medbay

Hearing Giovanni's reply to her accusations, Misty gives it a brief thought. She really didn't remember anything like this ever happening. What was he talking about? This really was going on long enought, if she was forgeting things like this. Matthias's ranting about the whole thing wasn't helping out in the slightest. Sighing to herself, ahe almost gets up and appologises to Giovanni when Wyndell's PCT starts flashing. As he gets up and heads over to it, he touches her hand on his way there.

Why did he do that? Is he trying to convey something to me?

Not having a time to mill on this anymore as she finds him looking her in the eyes, she looks back at him without blinking, not sure what she is trying to do by this. His eyes were inquisitive, but also understanding in a strange kind of way.

We really need to talk. One way or another, he will find out. Might as well be from me.

That's when Wyndell curses and it brings Misty out of her reveire. As he starts explaining about his plan and asks for her help, she just nods and picks herself up.

"I can help, I believe. But I'm not in shape to fight anymore." A faint smile crosses her lips at that, but is soon gone. "If you have some kind of gun or small firearm, I might be of bigger use."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thoft-Alternate Reality

Looking at the now crying Lydia, Thoft responded.

"You're so cynical that you would rather have all of us die? that we as individuals do not deserve to live? Have you truly given up on yourself that you don't feel that your life can get better?"

She continued before he spoke again.
    "Being given a second chance is something to be celebrated, and used. Who cares about drugs, they're nothing but chemicals that can raise and lower brain responses to stimulai, addictive, perhaps, irreversably addictive? not when you have your powers."

He continued.
    "So your lover is dead. It's hard, but you learn to move on, don't go all juliet on me, not here, not now." Thoft said, angry at being called a murderer, but knowing the truth behind it. He had to snap her out of it, he had to get answers. He had to survive, and he needed her to do so.
    Grabbing onto her shoulders he looked her in the eye.
    "I need to go back. And You're coming with me, whether you like it or not."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Janks - medical bay

Janks listens to Wyndell's plan while he leans against the wall next to the doorway, still fiddling around with the pistol.

After a while, the fiddling transforms into a monotonous sequence of removing and reinserting the clip and when Oscar is finished, he shoves the clip in one last time and looks up to him.

"I'm ready"

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Giovanni

Guys, we still gotta solve the fact that whatever is giving off the radiation is still gonna be inside the ship, whether we kill this guy or not. Giovanni says again. Plus the fact that anyone who gets close enough to kill him is probably gonna get hit with a good bit of radiation. It's the man's best defense, the fact that anyone who wants to get up close and personal will probably wind up looking like him.

Go Tigers!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

[b]Wyndell Tendarri - Chasing the Second Star
    Headed for the Bridge[b]

Wyndell grimaced at Giovanni’s questions, as he turned back to look at the man. His grimace became a soft grunt as he noticed that Oscar had gotten out of bed and was presently trying to wrestle Thoft off the floor. Hurrying over to the two, he helped Oscar leverage Thoft up and onto a medical bed.

“Take it easy, uh, Lucky. I just got you all zipped up, and I’d really hate for you to go popping a seam on me now.”

That done, Wyndell dusted his hands off, an age old mannerism that served no real purpose in most situations, including this one. Heading back over to the door where Misty was waiting, with Oscar in tow, Wyndell went ahead and answered Giovanni’s questions.

“First and foremost, as it seems to be your main concern, the radiation that the sphere is giving off is a little strong yes, but it is dissipating after only a few feet in real space. That’s why the native is trying to get at the core. He has to be close, practically inside it actually. Secondly, the level of radiation would not be too harmful if kept to a minimum, say under a minute. And finally, we need Matthias to fire up the reactors so we can get orbital. After that, whether the intruder is dead already or not, we can just flush everything out an airlock and be done with it. Now, time is of the essence, and I intend make it back into space within the hour if not much sooner. Anyone who is coming with me, it’s time to move.”

This time with much less hesitation, Wyndell heads out into the hallway, laser scalpel in hand.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Lydia Morrison, of the Hope Killer - Out of Body, Into Mind

When he mentioned the drugs, Lydia was about to start another outburst of emotion. He kept talking, but she only barely listened as Thoft tried to talk her out of what her mind was driving her to do. "Have you ever been addicted to a drug? Do you know what it did to me? You know what those people are doing on that ship? We're all goddamn fugitives. Someone killed someone else, someone committed a few too many robberies, someone tried to drive a goddamn hovercar through a window in an effort to kill herself and got caught driving high. We're all trying to make lives for ourselves after we screwed up. I screwed myself up once on that stupid ******* drug. I'm already on my second try, you don't get more than that. My life's already over." Tears were still streaming down her face. Her voice wavered halfway through the words, sadness welling up in her eyes near the end. Once she'd finished, she turned away for a moment as the tears started falling.

Then something about what he had said hit her, something she'd ignored previously. Lydia felt herself turning towards him, confusion forming on her face as the tears began to stop flowing. Words formed, and she started asking questions, desperate for answers. "How do you know about...h...h-him? How...How do you know what you know?"

The hands hit her shoulders. Lydia could feel Thoft's eyes on her, as though they were boring straight through her mind, seeing beyond what she could comprehend. As he spoke, Lydia's resolve broke down. She stopped crying. She stopped thinking at all. Her head nodded in response, all she felt capable of doing for the moment. Her left arm fell from its position holding the other, now just as limp as the rest of her body felt. All she could do was stare back into his eyes and nod.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Aware that time was truly of the essence now, Matthias quickly looked over a map of the ship, memorizing the quickest route from the medical bay to the engine room. This done, he quickly moved to quickly scoop up one of the remainning laser scapels. It wasn't a whole hell of a lot, but hopefully the native was weakened badly enough that Matthias could do some damage if it proved necessary, but the native wasn't the intended target for the scapel.

"I don't know if you're going to be able to keep up with me Janks given your um . . . wound there. If you can't keep up, I'd appreciate it if I could borrow the pistol, and you stay here or something. Speed is going to be very important right now. And hopefully the Concealer radiation won't be a problem for me - a little gift from Genetech."

Smiling grimly, Matthias moves out into the corridor and breaks into a run, following the path he had mapped out in his mind. If Janks is unable to keep up, Matthias will quickly double back to take the pistol from him before continuing on at top speed.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Caroline Walker- Medbay

The logs, it seemed, were not empty; Brother Human or another had kept them up to date, and perhaps the ship's history was not as dry as she thought. Ship defenses were passable on the exterior and nonexistent in the interior. She'd see what she could do there; control of the environment made for an effective tactical and strategic aid, after all.

She tried a simple ploy first: the bulkhead door nearest the native. She carefully cut the standard emergency protocols to the door—she didn't want any of the other doors sealing as safety precautions—and then commanded the door to shut, overriding its normal functions rather than falsifying a hull breach (they didn't need alarms going off). Blocking the native's path to the engine might buy the others enough time to remove him; the sphere might be able to unseal the bulkhead, but it would at least cost it a little time or effort. She hoped; she knew little of the spheres' limits.

Absorbed as she is, a few things make it through, mostly heard rather than "seen"—her electronic senses were otherwise occupied. She didn't notice the dispute until it very nearly turned violent; Conway's interruption was most fortunate. She concentrated on the medbay a little more, tensing to see whether the others would calm themselves. Stress is perfectly understandable here, given the situation, and most of us are convicts. People considered dangerous by society. Predictable that there would be some conflict. But foolish, inefficient, dangerous. Thankfully, they seem to realize it. Even more thankfully, none accept Conway's offer of a quick death.

None of them could be permitted to die; Brother Human had told her how necessary they were. She'd been tensed the whole time, ready to object if one of them gave up. But instinct was on Caroline's side here, and they opted to survive.

With her senses more focused on the medical bay, she notes that they have only one pistol and an apparently empty rifle for all of them, and performs a simple search for the armory and its current inventory. One other person's mutterings present themselves to her ears now:

"Check the jump sensors...check the jump sensors...everyone must know...everyone must know..."

Why would the spheres want to disrupt the jump drive, she wondered? And remembered. In the repository, when the spheres had engaged the scourge, she had dimly "heard" them as they blocked off FTL travel. The spheres are dangerous, mad. But have they completely betrayed their original purpose? Brother Human hadn't thought so... Suspicious, she examines the jump drive; she had no idea what the consequences of an FTL jump in atmosphere—in an enclosed space, too—would be, but she suspected it would be lethal. If it were active—the sphere's way of disabling the jump drive was suboptimal since it left them incapable of FTL, but it might be that they were working towards the right goal with the wrong methods.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Narration #18 –Saving the Gates of Salvation

• Somewhere where the Watchers Watch
      • TheOutlander – Dane “Thoft” Thoftsten
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Severe Mental Fatigue
          • Equipment:
      • tvga8889 – Lydia Morrison
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Severe head wound – Treated and Healing
            • Under the influence of Mersical – Pain free and high as a kite
          • Equipment:
            • Severed Metallic Arm of Malaki Shares – This is the severed artificial arm from Malaki. No longer connected to him it does not work, yet it is of a sturdy design and could function as an emergency weapon or tool if needed.
      • The Narration
        Spoiler
        Show
        The conversations between the two of you goes unnoticed by Giovanni who drags himself to a medical kit. Looking down at his arm in shock he pulls out a laser scalpel and with a grim look to his face turns it on. Biting his lip he brings it to the remains of his arm, burning the flesh away and cauterizing the wound. His lips starts bleeding and then he screams out in pain as his arm falls to the ground, but no longer is bleeding a concern for him. Dropping the scalpel with numb hands he stumbles away drenched in a cold sweet with another figure enters the hatchway.

His face is a mass of burned flesh with metal jabbed into it. The clothing he wears looks similar to a prison uniform but there is a lot more blood on it. Additional metal piercings dot the flesh along with burn marks that look to have been caused by high doses of radiation. His face comes into view from the shadows and you two can see that it is some twisted version of Wyndell.

”What’s the matter? Didn’t like looking into the end of everything, to realize everything is useless and doomed! Join my brothers Giovanni, you already are looking more and more like us every second.”

Rubbing his head as if that little speech was causing him pain Wyndell approaches Giovanni, in one hand a blood piece of metal, in the other a bloody crowbar. Giovanni tries to push himself back but weak from blood loss and the pain he does not get very far and starts to shake as Wyndell approaches. In the hatchway other figures approach, with similar self-mutilation like Wyndell. They crouch and watch growling at each other.

”No answer! Then join Lydia for a time!”

Raising the crowbar he starts beating upon Giovanni, splitting skin apart with the force of the blows, breaking bones and rupturing internal organs. The other two figures start gesturing happily at the beating. Yet Wyndell avoids dealing any blows that would be fatal, and with each blow more and more of his humanity fades away from his face replaced with a fanatical look. Dropping the crowbar he falls to his knees and starts EATING GIOVANNI!.

At that moment both of you realize what Wyndell has become, what the other two figures are who rush to join in the feast as Giovanni screams weakly.

REAVERS!

Men driven mad by something out in the Outer Rim territories, they were the bogymen of the time period. Beyond standard madness they ate the still living flesh of their victims, wearing their skin as clothing and mutilating themselves. Their ships were radioactive disasters floating through space, a miracle that they were still working. A plague upon the Outer Rim territories the Inner Rim considered them mostly a legend and never devoted much effort to hunting them down or finding out what caused them to lose their humanity.

Yet it seems that in this twisted plane of existence you found yourselves in Wyndell was exposed to whatever caused it, driving him into their clutches. He rises from the twitching corpse, face smeared in blood and he howls at the ceiling as the other two Reavers continue their gruesome feast.

• Chasing the Second Star – Bridge
      • Firespark – Wyndell Tedarri
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Using Stims – Enhanced Coordination and Mental Functioning
          • Equipment:
            • Custom-Made Contacts
            • Custom-Made Glasses – Connected to PTC providing a HUD linkup with it.
            • Personal Computer Terminal - This portable computer terminal is a common piece of equipment. A universal adapter allows it to be plugged into any normal computer terminal, bypassing its functions and allowing on access to the core programming of the terminal, making it easier to make changes or access systems that shouldn't be accessed normally.

It is 17" wide and 12" long and 2" deep, and weighs about 5 pounds. The screen is an adaptive display, able to be changed to what the user prefers, and it is very durable.
            • Medical Laser Scalpel – A common medical tool this scalpel generates a laser that can be adjusted to determine the amount of time it would take to cut through flesh and bone. At the lowest level it will slowly cut open skin, at the highest it has been compared to a “lightsaber” from some obscure movie back in the 20th century, however at the highest power setting it will drain the battery in a matter of minutes. It can cut flesh and cauterize it at the same time aiding in surgeries to help control bleeding.
      • Mordokai – Misty Reviere
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Cuts, scrapes and bruises over body
            • Arrow wound penetrating left shoulder – Treated and Bandaged
            • Arrow wound lower back – Treated and Bandaged
            • Arrow wound left upper thigh – Treated and Bandaged
          • Equipment:
            • Armored Survival Backpack – This backpack contains basic survival supplies including the following:
              • Vibration-charging Flashlight/Lantern – Uses the vibrations generated by movement to charge an internal power source. Need more power, shake it!
              • Air/Water Distiller – This device can absorb the ambient moisture in the air and collect/filter it to provide a source of drinking water. Also contains a hose that can be used to suck in water from other sources where it will be filtered and purified.
              • Multi-Purpose Tool Kit – Containing a small amount of tools that can be used for the most basic of repairs of devices.
              • Communications Relay – This device is a complex communications relay that can be used to signal orbiting ships or link various systems together to provide a means of communication.
      • The Narration
        Spoiler
        Show
        Leaving the medical bay the two of you run into no resistance whatsoever. Walking through the corridors the lights seem to brighten as you walk the short distance towards the bridge. Reaching the hatch it is easily opened and the two of you step inside.

With only dim red lighting providing illumination your eyes barely start adjusting when the normal ship running lights activate. Taking a long look around Wyndell can see various control panels powering up, as if they were waiting for someone to enter the area. Checking them over he notices that the settings are all set to keep the ship in standby, waiting for something. However it seems that systems are slowly starting to power themselves back up now that there is human habitation in the chamber.

As for Misty her gaze falls upon systems that she has no clue the purpose of. At the far end is a powered off display, with no view of the outside. While Wyndell is focused on the controls she notices the empty spots on the walls where various emergency kits should be mounted, indicating that someone has been here and taken what they wanted.

However there are no obvious signs of damage, in fact the entire bridge is pristine, as if it is ready for its maiden voyage.

• Chasing the Second Star – Corridor to Main Engineering
      • Inspectre – Matthias Conway
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Using Stims to keep running – Enhanced Speed and Mental Functioning
          • Equipment:
      • Ubersquid – Raul 'Janks' Jenkins
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Arrow Wound in Buttocks – Treated with Antidote that is preventing bleeding.
          • Equipment:
            • Repair Kit – This kit contains an assortment of tools used for common repairs along with some raw supplies that could be needed. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing they can repair armor and even make basic ammunition with the contents.
            • 4mm Defender Rifle (Empty) – This rifle is a standard weapon that can be used against armored targets. Firing 4mm solid state slugs it can damage/penetrate most personal body armors. Carrying a 100 round magazine per cartridge it is a very sturdy weapon as well and simple to maintain, aiding it in working in most environments despite abuse. It is fondly related to the ancient AK-47 rifle when compared to durability and reliability.
            • 2mm Semi-Automatic Needle Pistol – This pistol uses tiny rounds that are designed to penetrate organic matter and shatter within, causing massive internal damage to the target. These rounds are ineffective against armored targets for the rounds will simply shatter against harder substances. Used on most ship as basic security because they will not penetrate the hull if discharged. Each cartridge contains 20 rounds.
      • The Narration
        Spoiler
        Show
        The two of you step out of the medical bay after Wyndell and Misty leave. Janks apparently likes having a pistol so he keeps his grip on it. Running down the corridor it takes barely a minute to reach where the native should be. The two of you catch a glimpse of him as he staggers down the corridor almost too main engineering.

Then an emergency bulkhead seals shut in the natives face, just barely missing crushing him.

Jumping back he hisses and turns and sees you with eyes crying blood. Waving the sphere at you he screams something in the native language which neither of you understand which is also joined by him coughing up blood. Yet his other hand is steady as he pulls out a blood soaked knife and twirls it with a blur of motion. Smiling he chants something that sounds like a chant and rushes towards the two of you superhumanly fast and quick.

• Chasing the Second Star – Medical Bay
      • The_Snark – Caroline Walker
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition:
            • Eyeballs Burnt out of Sockets
          • Equipment:
      • mf11 – Giovanni Fiori
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Damaged Throat – Able to Breath but can only whisper.
          • Equipment:
            • Sharp shards of a shinbone from a Corpse – Taken from one of the dead crewmembers onboard Chasing the Second Star it can serve as a cudgel, but due to the age it is not very durable. The shinbone itself was shattered and now all that remains are very sharp fragments.
      • Gig Complex – Oscar 'Lucky' Erickson
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: Partially slashed throat – Treated and Bandaged
          • Equipment:
            • Shinbone from a Corpse – Taken from one of the dead crewmembers onboard Chasing the Second Star it can serve as a cudgel, but due to the age it is not very durable.
      • Banjo1985 – Saul Umati
        • Vital Statistics
          Spoiler
          Show
          • Condition: 100%; No Injuries
          • Equipment:
            • Tribal Clothing – Simple yet rugged leathers that perverse your modesty. Because of the extra time you spend out hunting you have added a nice vest and pants while most of the natives wear only a loincloth.
            • Hunting Bow & Arrows – A simple yet durable hunting bow that has served you faithfully for many years that has excellent range and accuracy. In addition you have a full quiver of arrows that you wear on your back.
            • Hunting Knife – A simple long-bladed knife that is used mainly for skinning and preparing game, though it would make a deadly weapon if used properly.
            • First-Contact Computer Interface Unit – Taken from a crashed probe from times long ago, this CIU has provided you the basics on spoken Common and a general history of humanity that you otherwise would never have known. It was designed to aid in first-contact situations by providing basic information on humanity to other lifeforms. Using it you found that you are not a mere slave, but rather a human as well, and that things should be much different from what they are. Luckily for you this unit is small enough to keep hidden from the rest.
      • The Narration
        Spoiler
        Show
        Within her electronic vision Caroline reaches out through the ship systems. Seeing the native clearly as he makes his final walk towards the engineering section of the ship she accesses the closest bulkhead that would stop the native. Working through the safety systems takes time for they are stubborn and do not want to deviate from their stand functions. Time grows short yet the battle for the safety measures is lost and the bulkhead seals shut, just barely missing the native. You are aware that Matthias and Janks have both made it to the native and the native has noticed them as well, and he starts cursing in his language at them as he prepares himself for battle. Readying his knife he then launches himself towards the two of them as superhuman speeds.

As for Oscar he manages to get the two unconscious forms onto beds. The scanners activate and reveals that they are still breathing and have a low pulse. Their brainwave scans however start raising alarms however the readouts make no sense to anyone without a degree in the medicinal arts, yet they seem to be stable at the moment.

Finally for Giovanni his concerns fall upon deaf ears as he watches the others leave the medical bay for their respective destinations.
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre
    I'm good at making you fear the unknown. Pwenet is good at making you fear the known, which had been the unknown five minutes before he pushed you off screaming into the abyss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    I'm feeling this real hard now.
    Curse you, Pwenet. Curse you.... You had my hopes up there...

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bridge

Stepping onto the bridge, and as the lights came up, Wyndell could almost taste the hope in the air. Emanating mostly from him of course. Finally he was in his element, where he thrived.

“God it’s good to see a functional bridge again.”

Taking a quick stock of the bridge, he found all the stations to be in apparently working order, powering up even as he glanced around. He did notice though that most of the emergency supplies, and other such loose things such as tool kits and what-not, were decidedly absence. Everything that wasn’t nailed down, metaphorically speaking, seemed to have been removed. A quick recollection, and Wyndell remembered Lucky mentioning something to that extent, but he had been too busy at the moment to really pay it any heed. Now he could only mumble to himself.

“I hope we don’t need all that stuff.”

Making a quick walk around he took in the work stations that were present. Two science focused stations, an engineering station, helm, operations, a combined communications and tactical station, and one spare terminal for general purpose use. Then there was the conn, the Captain’s chair. A spartan, but still comfortable looking, chair place at the center of it all. Placing a hand on one of the armrests of that chair, Wyndell closed his eyes as went over everything in his head, forming a plan of action. Nodding his head to himself when he arrived at one, he gave the armrest a strong pat and then headed for the operations station. His first plan was to do something with his PCT that was both useful, and yet allowed him to not have to lug it around constantly. And useful it was already, having been severely ‘upgraded’ by the spheres, before the Brother Human AI swept them clear.

Going over the status information that was beginning to scroll by, Wyndell nodded to himself again, satisfied that the system really were powering up. Kneeling down in front of the station, he removed the access panel to the station’s inner workings. After a few moments of looking over the wiring, he reached in and disconnected a number of cables that he determined to be inputs arriving from the ship’s main computer core. These he then connected into one set of the PCT’s input jacks. Then, pulled the PCT output jack free some, and connected directly into the stations terminal processor. Then locating the cables that would normally be used for a physical, and probably emergency rerouting of the stations control functions, he plugged those too into a set of the PCT’s input jacks. Once all was said and done, the sixty second operation had effectively slaved the super PCT into the Chasing the Second Star’s operations systems, and by proxy the entire ship. His hope was that they would not only benefit from the enhanced processors, but also, any assistance that Brother Human could provide through the PCT, could now utilize the whole ship.

Making sure the unit was secure, Wyndell replaced the access panel with a little wedging, and got back up. Typing quickly at the terminal, Wyndell initiated a low level station diagnostic, then darted to the engineering station. On his way there, he saw Misty glancing about, looking fairly out of place. But he had asked her along for reason, other than keep him company. He was going to need all the eyes and hands he could get.

“Misty, come over here so I can show you something.”

Waiting for Misty at the engineering station, Wyndell smiled softly as she came to stand by him. Leaning over he brought the station’s input screen to life with a tap.

“Here, I’m going to show you something. It’s fairly simple.”

Typing quickly at the inputs, for it wasn’t his typing he was wanting Misty to see, but rather the result. It was the same command for a low level diagnostic that he had just started on the operations station. He finished inputting his request, but stopped before executing the command. Then straightening back up, he pointed at the command input line for emphasis.

“See? Right here. I could use your help by going around to all these other stations, and inputting the command instructions as I have written here. It tells the station to run a quick diagnostic on its systems and control functions.”

Putting a hand on the side of her shoulder, and smiling again, he tried to reassure any doubts before she could even think of them.

“And don’t worry about a thing. If you have any questions, just ask. But you’re a smart one, and quick on the uptake, so you’ll do just fine.”

And with that, Wyndell executes the diagnostic command on the engineering station, and gives Misty a final squeeze on the shoulder as heads back over to the operations station and sits down to work. Now all we need are those generators taken off standby. C’mon, Matthias.