New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default I shouldn't always trust the dice....

This is being written under supervision of Melange Pie and Nameless.

I've just finished my first major gaming session, with me as DM using a version of the Basic Game scenario with alterations e.g. Less chests, proper stats for monster, players use their own characters. The party was a Tiefling Sorcerer, played by Nameless, a Half-elf Ranger played by another friend and a Human Druid played by Melange Pie. After the first encounter (Two goblins) and the Ranger looted one of the goblins of their necklace, when they exited the dungeon and approached the town elders Nameless decieded to tell them that the Ranger had stolen the necklace which then led to a fight which itself ended in a unconcious sorcerer with crossbow and camel releated injuries, which a succesful bluff check enabled them to convince the town clerics that they were made by camel/goblin halfbreeds. After had just finished the first encounters, mainly due to the help of Herbert, the druids' camel Animal Companion, and had just entered the third when the druid spotted two chests in behind a harpy and decided to take on the harpy while the other two opened the chests. After two succesful searches I rolled for random treasure which ended in 4pp being shared out and the two chest-openers walking away with a +2 Vicious Merciful Shock Gauntlet for the sorcerer which in total did 4d6+1d3 non-lethal or 3d6+1d3 lethal with 1d6 to the sorcerer while the ranger ended up with a +1 Magical Beast Bane Thundering Frost Longbow....I'm starting to think I should tone up the campaign.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: I shouldn't always trust the dice....

True statement.

Are you sure you rolled the right table?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I hate to sound rude, but how did you roll that?

if this was a 1st or 2nd level campaign, you'd be looking at minor items at best, and those are +4 or +5 items.

for future reference, it's perfectly alright to tone down the items your PCs find, if they'll break your story.
    Nerd-o-rama Wrote on 10/16/06 at 01:06:57:
    Even creatures listed as "Always Alignment" have one-in-a-million exceptions: the Chaotic Good White Dragon Ranger yearning to throw off the reputation of its Evil kin, anybody?

Dice for the Dice God! D20s for the D20 Throne!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vanyell View Post

if this was a 1st or 2nd level campaign, you'd be looking at minor items at best, and those are +4 or +5 items.

for future reference, it's perfectly alright to tone down the items your PCs find, if they'll break your story.
    That was an awesome game, to be honest, I don't care if it wasn't rolled right.

5. - Top - End - #5

OrcBarbarianGuy

They started off as minor items but on the weapons table I rolled a 92 for the gauntlet and 97 for the longbow and decided that I should just follow what the dice give me, I am planning to have the weapons taken away soon, after the players kill some stuff with them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    That was an awesome game, to be honest, I don't care if it wasn't rolled right.

I take back what I said then.

this is the ultimate decider
    Nerd-o-rama Wrote on 10/16/06 at 01:06:57:
    Even creatures listed as "Always Alignment" have one-in-a-million exceptions: the Chaotic Good White Dragon Ranger yearning to throw off the reputation of its Evil kin, anybody?

Dice for the Dice God! D20s for the D20 Throne!

7. - Top - End - #7

But then why roll at all? The whole point of rolling is the randomness, and mitigating it decreases the benifit of rolling!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioned View Post
    They started off as minor items but on the weapons table I rolled a 92 for the gauntlet and 97 for the longbow and decided that I should just follow what the dice give me, I am planning to have the weapons taken away soon, after the players kill some stuff with them.
    How many times did you roll a 92 and a 97 to get so many different special abilities?
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

See, this is why I love the Magic Item Compendium so much. You can't roll something that is completely inappropriate for the characters level, and the tables are really easy to use as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Don't take the items away, that'll annoy your players. Either tone up everything else, or send them on adventures where their stuff is temporarily taken away. Never steal stuff back from the players, if possible, unless extremely cinematic and your players are good at taking that kind of loss.

Fun. There was one guy on the forum recently who had rolled a weapon with something like 8 different abilities on it. I forget who and what now.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    True statement.

Are you sure you rolled the right table?
    But... But... Shock Vicious mercifull Gaunlet of awesomeness...

Also:

Rule 0: The DM decision is final...