New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Yrellitra, the beginning

The border between the Dagoleth Empire and the Highlands has always been flexible. The town of Carbarin now marks the boundary, and both governments have sent a representative to the town to ensure the peace, and to stake a claim.

Things have worked well like that for the last decade, but something has happened. Neither side cares to talk about it, but they are enlisting help, calling in favors on all kinds of people.

You all have arrived at roughly the same time on a beautiful spring day. The town of 1700 people is bustling, as people go about their business as normal. The buildings are a mix of both cultures, as are most of the people.

The main street is full of shops, selling most anything you would need, though high end magic items are impossible to find. The Barbarian's Beard stands near the middle of town, the sign proclaiming it the "best ale house in Carbarin."

(You should all have places to go except for Grunt. If I'm wrong, send me a PM. Grunt, have at it, you'll find your way.)
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Entridge Hazat: OoC and IC
    Roondar Tauren: Character Sheet

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mountain Village: OoC and IC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Yrellitra, the beginning

"Best ale huh? ... Oh well, they should have some good food at least." Mart enters the tavern.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Elesteen wanders along the street not really knowing what to make of the city he has arrived in.
    Thinking about why he is there, Elesteen looks for some kind of town crier or noble to ask for directions.
    Spot (If I need);(1d20+5)[16]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Lei
    Zarkust Lei moved through the town with ease, viewing potential combatants and summing up their capabilities shown with the ease of breathing How exactly should I go about finding such a person? She walks by an alehouse called the "Barbarian's Beard" Might as well, ale does seem to loosen lips, maybe someone has heard of him. She walks in and stands near the entrance eying each customer and appraising their abilities as fighters, making no motion to order drink -yet.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Grunt

The large orc is already sitting at a table by the bar. His Skull faced helmet has been placed in the center of the table, along with his shield and battleaxe. This should leave no doubt about his profession (he hopes).

As he wolfs down a bowl of stew, he considers his options.
    He had already taken a look at the 'wanted' posters and none of the rewards seemed worth the time.
    The "tense political situation" that had led him here seemed to have been nothing but rumor. While Grunt hated politics, it did make mercenary work very profitable.
    "Seems like its another caravan guard job" he quietly grumbles to himself.

As the barkeep offers to refill his mug, Grunt decides to simply ask,"Where in this city can a mercenary find work?"
    Pirate's rule number one: Pillage, THEN burn.
    Grunt
    Rue
    Rathu
    Orc Barbarian avatar by Yeril

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

(Missing Koga, but I'm sure he'll catch up)

Mart
    You find the ale house clean, but well used. The smell of stale ale reaches your nose. A large man stands behind the bar, but an older lady, nearing her forties, is bustling around and you gather that she is the one who really runs this place.

Elesteen
    You strike out on your look for town criers, but you see a half dozen people who could be nobles. Two women, who are walking together, most likely mother and daughter. A lone man in his fifties who looks to be in a hurry. A young man and woman who look to be in no hurry, but you're not sure how wise it would be to interrupt them. And a young man, who is near a street corner, watching the world go by.

Lei
    The Barbarian's Beard seems to be mostly empty. A few men, who you would assume are locals sit near the bar, but a few men stand out to you. A large half orc with a skull helmet is sitting in a corner, and a younger man in white with a gimp arm stands near you, also looking over the ale house, but with a different look.

Grunt
    As your coarse voice echoes over the Barbarin's Beard, the older lady, who introduced herself to you as Delilah, gives you a withering glance. A middle aged man with a well trimmed graying beard gives you a glance, but his eyes shift over to the younger man in white who just walked in.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Grunt

Grunt finishes his meal. The silence that greets his question doesn't bother or surprize him. Few people have a liking for sell-swords and he is used to being ignored. A youth with a bandaged arm enters and Grunt dismissis him as a local.
    He is about to gather his belongings and leave when he notices that not everyone is ignoring him...

The woman standing at the door appears to be sizing him up. Grunt makes eye contact as he studies her in turn.
    She moves like a warrior. She has the confidence of someone who has seen combat.
    He notices she doesn't carry any weapons or wear andy "clan symbols".
    mercenary fallen on hard times?

Instead of leaving, Grunt walks to the bar and gets 2 more mugs of ale. He sits down and places the second mug in front of the unoccupied chair, then motions to the woman to join him.
    Grunt
    Rue
    Rathu

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Elesteen approaches the man who seems to be doing nothing,
    I'm looking for directions. Elesteen's manners have never been top notch, he may seem gruff but he never means any harm.
    I'm looking for someone. Possibly at the local monastery. Could you help me?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Lei
    Seeing the half-orc motion she figured there was nothing she could learn from him but seeing no other viable leads she thought she would sit next to him -besides in brute force he seemed the most threatening, and she preferred to move in close where his reach would be limited and he couldn't bring full power to any swings. Without sipping the ale she looked at the half-orc, "Good morning, what brings You here?" he smellt of some booze already and so would be willing to talk she decided to follow that up with "And what's your name?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Mart sits down at a table and motions for a waitress/waiter"Pshh, last time I take job advice from a bard."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

"Best ale house in Carbarin EH?! We'll see about that..."

Dadora waltzes in and goes up to the front.

"So I hear you got the best ale, I challenge that statement! Prove to me this ale is as good as you say it is!"

Diplomacy check to get free booze:
    (1d20+4)[8]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Koga
    The bartend laughs at you. "It says best ale, not the best free ale. It'll cost you four coppers."

Lie and Grunt
    Do your thing.

Mart
    The older lady breezes over to take your order. She seems like she would be friendly if she wasn't so busy.

More importantly, a middle aged man sits down, his well trimmed gray beard, the most noticeable feature on his face.

"Are you Mart," he asks, his face serious.

Elesteen
    The young man looks up, and flashes you a smile.
    "Anything for a monastery man. Where are you looking for?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Mart looks up at the man."Yes I am, I'm guessing this is a job offer."

Sense Motive Check - (1d20+3)[4]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Elesteen lets the man see a glimpse of a smile before responding;
    I am looking for a man of the name Zarkust, I assume he is a man of monasteries round here? Or perhaps you could simply point me in the right direction of any monastery?

Sense Motive Check; (1d20+3)[6]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Dadoria might buy a drink, but he'll search for a lady to buy the drink for.
    Search check:
    (1d20+1)[14]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Grunt

"Same as you, I figure. You are Warrior, but not soldier."
    Grunt paused to take a sip from his mug. "That make you merc or coin hunter."
    Grunt was impressed. This woman was small, but fearless. She had approached without hesitation, even risked angering an Orc by not accepting his drink, but she had still been respectfull.
    "I am look for employment. You maybe know of opportunities. You maybe can use help with currant employment.
    The orc has obviously only recently accuired an understanding of the common tongue.
    Grunt gives a toothy grin.
    "Only pollite to ask."

He then stands up, extends his right hand in the human fashion.
    "Call me Grunt"
    Grunt
    Rue
    Rathu

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Lei
    Despite better thoughts she shakes the orcs hand firmly, trying to find callouses or worn skin, signs of weapon use. "Hmm, Grunt is it? I am looking for a man named Zarkust. And despite your thoughts I am neither a sellsword nor a treasure hunter." She seems to ponder her words for a moment "Perhaps treasure is too broad a word, I do seek something. Besides, what are you dong here in a politically tense environment? I would think that your presence would galvanize sides against sellswords like.. yourself?" She seems to measure Grunt up again and decides she used the correct word to describe him, "If you want to help me, I have little in the way of coin unfortunately."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Lie and Grunt
    Nothing new. Though you do both notice the man sitting down with the younger man in white.

Mart
    "Yes, my contact in Dagoleth sent you down here. We can't talk here, but I really do need your help. If you would be so kind, my house is only a block away."

Elesteen
    You sense this man is in awe of you, as are many in the highlands. He is in your full attention and obviously wants to point you in the right direction, though he is confused.

"Zarkust lives two blocks that way," he says, pointing back the way you came. "But the closest thing we have to a monastery here is on the far end of town the other way. Zarkust is usually at home this time of day."

Dadoria
    You see a few average women, but no one who stands out as outright beautiful. In fact, other then the woman sitting with the half orc, the best looking woman in here is the middle aged bar maid who is bustling about.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Excellent, for a few coin would you take me there?
    Elesteen enquires;
    For a few coin of course...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Mart places a couple of gold pieces on the table after finishing his meal. "Okay, lets go."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Dadoria thinks "Ew, old people, do not want!"

Then invites himself into the conversation with the half-orc.

"What'chu doing hanging around this hairy apeman when you could be with a rockstar?"

"Let me buy you some of the best tasting ale in Cariban, and if it don't taste the best, then I'll make it taste the best, cause I'm magical..."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Grunt

"This place full of bad politics. Bad politics lead to war. War good for business." Grunt leaves it at that, hoping that it explains everything. He is unwilling to admit that he didn't understand some of the words she used.

"Truth be told...", Grunt begins, when he is interrupted by an arrogant youth. He doesn't miss any of the boy's words.

Something like a growl escapes his throat. He doesn't move though, instead taking another sip from his mug.

magical hey. sooner or later his magical arse is going to end up impaled on someone's not-so-magical sword.
    Grunt keeps his eyes focussed on the table and waits for the annoying bug to go away. He refuses to lose his temper. That would be bad for business
    Last edited by RedNec; 2008-02-27 at 03:11 AM.
    Grunt
    Rue
    Rathu

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Elesteen
    "Certainly" the young man say. "Which way do you want to go?"

Mart
    The older man leads you to a nice looking house Obviously he has some wealth, or at least some power.

He leads you into a private office with a comfortable place to sit and has a sit himself.
    (No peeking if it's not for you)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Well, here is the real reason I've called you in all the way from Dagoleth. A powerful Artifact has been stolen. It has been sitting on a pedestal in the middle of the town square for over a generation, since the last battle between the Highlands and the Empire."

Taking a breath, his eyes darting around the room again, he continues.

"I was hired by the last Emporer to come down here and ensure Carbarin's prosperity and hopefully guide them to a rule by the Empire. The Highland cities sent a man named Zarkust to do the same. We get along quite well, even with our differences, and have agreed to work together for the good of the city. When the item was stolen, we agreed to call in help from both sides. We'll be meeting his people tomorrow morning. Your job will be to get to the bottom of this. I'll pay you 500 gold pieces for the item's return."

(Cuz I believe anyone didn't peek.)
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

(no peaking for you)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "500 huh? A fine price but it would help to know what I'd be going up against. I would assume such a valuable item would have been heavily guarded and that the ones who stole it must have been quite formidable to get away."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Lei
    Lei keeps a solemn face until he hears the young man say "cause I'm magical..." and she starts laughing hysterically. "Seriously? Are you really serious?" She continues chuckling until she decides she might offend the boy. "You're just... not my type."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Elesteen looks at the man blanky; The quickest....

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Grunt

The woman's comment ammuses Grunt. The tension disappears from Grunt's muscles as he forces himself to relax. Then he turns to the rude youth,"If you can magically get us another round of drinks....", Grunt eyes the woman's untouched mug,"...uhm...water for the lady?... we might consider letting you sit at our table. Long as you be quiet. Younglings should be seen, not heard."
    Last edited by RedNec; 2008-02-29 at 06:47 AM.
    Grunt
    Rue
    Rathu

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Elesteen
    The young man nods and leads you back up the street from the way you came. After a block and a half, he turns off and leads you to a distinctly Highland built house, not overly ornate, but well built fairly large.

"This will be Zarukst's house sir. He should be home. Usually is this time of day."

With that, the man turns and heads back out to the main road, looking around at the clouds as he walks.

Mart
    Spoiler
    Show

"Actually," the man says with a sheepish smile "it is exactly the opposite. The artifact was left out in the open, in the middle of the town square. Guards passed to check on it every once in a while, but all one had to do was slip in and take it. However, the artifact usually kept most people from doing so. So I tend to believe the thief was either well prepared or quite powerful.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Games DMing:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "All right then, I'll help track down this artifact. I will need to know what it looks like though. Perhaps what it does?"
    Last edited by BizzaroStormy; 2008-02-29 at 05:30 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Elesteen, surprised at not having to give the man any money, looks up at the building taking it in while walking to the main door. As he reaches it he knocks 3 times.