New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Knights of the Old Republic: Shadow of the Rapture

Opening crawl again, for reference

The sun hangs high in the sky over the peaceful world of Dantooine; it is noticeably warm today, even for Summer, but for the Jedi of Dantooine it is a day like any other. On an open plain not far from the Enclave, a group of robed youngsters swing their weapons in synchronised patterns, their eyes firmly fixed on the man leading them. Wearing brown robes in the traditional style of the Jedi Masters, Master Torkall Vann swings his bright green blade with a finesse that belied his advancing years.

Today the young Padawans are practicing the katas of the Shii-Cho lightsaber style, a speciality of Master Vann, and an important skill for an aspiring knight. They are two hours into their practice already, and the heat is beginning to be a little overbearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Knights of the Old Republic: Shadow of the Rapture

Despite being the youngest by far, the Dathomirian human Cueidodn - or Cuei to his friends, if he had any - was easily the most skilled in this specific form. This was no surprise, really, as the boy spent all of what little leisure time the padawans get honing his skills.

His expression is serene, as he keeps his eyes firmly locked on his Master's movements. He likes training outside - it's much better than the stuffy rooms in the Enclave.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2008-02-23 at 10:48 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Miata works through the forms like most of the padawans. Since Shii-Cho is not her favored form, her movements are, while seeming graceful and competent to an untrained eye, somewhat awkward and forced compared to those of a real practicioner of the style. She doesn't seem terribly self-concious about it though. Rather, most of her determination seems focused on not fainting. The heat is definitely getting to her, and it seems that only force of will is holding her up where her vitality has already begun to fail. A few hairs come loose from the simple braid that holds back most of her normally wild platinum-blonde hair, and plays over her face like a taunting insect. She winces slightly as she resists bringing her hand up to brush it away.

It's going to be a long day...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

After two hours, Ranat has already lost most of his interest in the lesson, and his sweat is making it hard for him to keep a grip on his weapon. "Don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up", thought Ranat. "One-on-one forms of combat were never my strong suit, at least with more than one opponent you could pretend you weren't just a killer with a ... oh crap, I'm not keeping up. I've got to stop thinking. Even thinking about thinking is a no-no."

Ranat quickly adjusts his lightsaber and tries to emulate the motions of the Padawan next to him. At least if he screws up now, he won't be the only one making the those mistakes.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of the taller students, Evin moved with a little more range and fluidity than his contemporaries. On the edge of the training group, the 16 year-old Zabrak made uncomfortable, wide attack swings. Normally the heat wouldn't phase him, but coupled with his heavy brown cloak and being a naturally defensive duelist, today's Shii-Cho training session just wasn't going very well.

Usually Evin would revert into a trance-like state, reading the emotions of his companions as they battled invisible enemies, but today his Empathy was fuzzy, and could only register a little frustration off someone in the group.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Ssurrg

Ssurrg continues doing Shii-Cho with the inept ability of someone with claws for hands and the indifference of someone having a good day. He has a "smile" (At least what could be considered one with his ominous looking fangs) and seems to be enjoying the weather.
    Ahh the Suns seem to be warmer then usual, this is nice. Ssurrg so happy he get out. Mmm, warm is so nice... Ssurrg's eyes seem to be rolling back in his head from ecstasy although he keeps moving (albeit clumsily) to the motions the Master wished him to make.

7. - Top - End - #7

"Hah!"

Master Vann brings down his blade in a mighty two-handed slash, freezing in the final position as he watches his students sweat in the sun. He remains still for several minutes, waiting to see if anyone would break and change position, but eventually he stands up straight and sheathes his lightsaber, indicating for the young ones to do the same.

"Hmm. Some improvement, but most of you need more practice. We shall resume this later. But now, I think a change of pace is in order. Who can tell me about lightsaber crystals? "
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Miata tries to avoid showing her relief once the physical exertion portion of the training has ended. She deactivates her yellow training saber and re-holsters it. When Master Vann asks his question,her hand reflexively shoots up.

"Lightsaber crystals are any sort of substance that can be used to focus the energy in the power pack of a lightsaber. They usually have a sensitivity to the Force that makes them more suitable for a Jedi to weild the blade, though any crystal will do. Adegan crystals are the most common, as they are naturally attuned to the Force. Kathracite, relacite and danite are less refined variations that produce a weak blade that is used in training sabers. Mephite is the type found in most blades. All these kinds can be found here on Dantooine, particularly where the force is strong, and are usually colored green, blue, yellow, or occasionally red. Rarer crystals or other refractive substances can channel the force in different ways that suit an individual user's preferences. This, among other reasons, is why Jedi seek a unique crystal for their lightsaber when they can, rather than simply choosing the most convenient."

After her long rant, she finally seems finished. It sounds like she may have cut herself off at a few places to avoid going on tangents, but otherwise seemed to not bother with any attempts at being concise.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Throughout the holding of Master Vann's last move, Evin was characteristically still. He managed to remain that way until Vann sheathed his weapon, imitating the movement exactly. Confident for his age, but not arrogant, the young Zabrak raised his hand at his Master's request. He spoke after Miata's verbal essay with a gritty voice, devoid of judgement and passion, cutting to the heart of the matter.

'The crystal is the heart of a lightsabre. It is a focus for both a Jedi's mastery and attunement to the Force.'

Foregoing trivia, Evin nearly always focussed on the ethereal and abstract.
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2008-02-27 at 12:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Cuei holds the final pose perfectly - he's practiced it so many times before - before turning his training saber off and hanging it on his belt. He then stands stock still, hands in front of him, hands clasped together. He glances at Miata as she talks, then glances at Evin when he pipes up, his expression unreadable.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #11

Vann is slightly taken aback by Miata's verbal textbook, though he tries not to show it.

"Er, yes. That's right. The time when you will wield lightsabers is far off, but you must be prepared none-the-less. I would have you search for a lightsaber crystal to meditate on, to deepen your understanding of the Force. And one day, it will serve as the heart of your blade."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"Sir, are we going to be digging for crystals right now?"

This possible activity has Ranat's mind and body at odds. His mind is telling him that if he gets a crystal now, that means the instructor is preparing for the creation of real lightsabers. His body is giving him a simpler message: "You're going to collapse in a few minutes."
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-02-27 at 07:55 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Miata shoots Ranat a look.

"We are Jedi, not miners. Crystals can be found in somewhat more apparent locations than under the dirt. In particular, the force caves near the enclave. Is that where we'll be going?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Vann nods. "The caves would certainly be a good place to start looking. But do not lose yourself in excitement; you will not be building a lightsaber at this level of your training."
    Last edited by TamerBill; 2008-02-28 at 05:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Cuei is uncharacteristically silen- oh, who am I kidding? He's always silent. But this time he seems to be more thoughtful than standoffish.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Miata looks over at Cuei. Sure, he's a quiet kid, but he at least makes a little eye contact most of the time. Her first instinct is to just let him be, but she knows better. Look after your own.

Miata bows to Master Vann, and takes a few steps over so she's within physical contact reach of Cuei.

"Is something troubling you? You usually seem much more peaceful outdoors."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Cuei suddenly looks up at Miata, eyes wide with surprise. "I... f-fine, miss. Nothing.. uh..." He shakes his head slowly. "I've had... an idea. That's all." He gives her a smile.

He's always more polite around the female members of the order.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2008-02-28 at 11:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Miata gives the young padawan a soft smile.

"Well, I think the rest of us could stand to benefit from your ingenuity. Tell me more." Spoken like a true diplomat: courteous, but insistent. Not that she really cares to use inquisitive techniques on her fellow Jedi (as if they would even work), but such habits tend to seep into all her actions.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

A soft blush actually manages to find its way onto Cuei's usually passive face. "I... uhm... I just, already figured out where my crystal is, miss. Back home, on... Dathomir, with my chieftain... " He shakes his head a little, and smiles. "I remember when I was first allowed to hold it. I.. it felt as if I could see every living thing in the jungle, ever bird, every plant..." He shivers, and then goes bright red as he finds himself rambling. "So... th-that was what I was thinking, miss."
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2008-02-28 at 12:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

The students slowly become aware of the fact that Master Vann has left them, and they have been left to their own devices on the plains of Dantooine. Looks like it's time for some of that good old-fashioned Jedi initiative.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Ranat sits down and takes out a few decks of cards. He didn't feel like going to find his crystal right at this moment, so he might as well practice using psychometry.

"Anyone up for a game of Pazaak?"

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Ssurrg

Ssurrg shudders at the mention of Pazaak, but seems unaffected by Master Vann's disappearance or the mention of crystals but makes an effort of conversation to the young Zabrak, "S-sso young one, where to now? You s-seem to know about lightsaber crystals, where would we go to find one?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Evin flicked a glance at Ssurg when he addressed him and straightened himself up. Although he couldn't hope to match the bulk of the Trandoshan, at least he had to the height to meet him eye-to-eye.

'I know where the caves are, you're welcome to come with me.'

Growing up on Dantooine near the Enclave, Evin knew the surrounding area well and had even been to the entrance of the caves once.

'That goes for everyone,' he said to the group, 'I'm going to the caves, if anyone wants to follow.'

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Cuei looks around at everyone for a moment, then gives a soft sigh. He bows lightly towards Miata, ignores everyone else, then goes off wandering, trying to find somewhere quiet to sit and think. He does that a lot.

Hey, his Master never told him he had to find the crystal today.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Ssurrg

Ssurrg smiles a toothy complacent smile and goes to follow the Zabrak. He barely registers as Cuei goes off on his own, he had already found his crystal -back at his home.

"S-sso you think we s-shall getss a cryssteel today?" Ssurrg says to the young Zabrak, his Basic becoming more and more obviously accented.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

'That's one possible outcome.'

Evin waited for any response from the group on his offer of guidance to the caves, then began his journey there.
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2008-03-17 at 05:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing nobody take him up on his offer of card games, Ranat places the cards back inside his robes, walks over to Cuei, and sits down. "Hey Kid-Djo, what's troubling you today other than the sun?"

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Cuei looks around incredulously as a male addresses him. He takes a few moments to even react. At least he's not an alien like the other two... "I... what? No... nothing. Thinking about crystals just... made me think of home. That's all." He's trying his best not to be an antisocial jackass, but it's hard to break the habit of several years.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Ranat wonders why Cuei is so shy towards him. They spoken before, at least long enough for Ranat to learn Cuei's last name. Maybe Ranat only knows the kid's last name. "Really? I grew up fixing cheap droids in my Dad's shop. I don't think I've ever seen one until I started training. Personally, I think this conversation just reminds me how much of a suck-up Miata is."
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-03-17 at 10:30 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Cuei's face hardens, and he glowers at Ranat for a moment. He then quickly closes his eyes, and takes a few deep breaths, muttering something to himself in his native Dathomirian. He opens his eyes again, and sighs. "...Sorry. Please don't talk that way about Miss Miata."