Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 56 of 56
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Tano

    Tano looked down on the wheezing human. In a cold voice, he said, "Speak not of that which you don't know, human. I will agree to any proposal I judge to be for the end of getting us off this island. Your hysterical raving is less than helpful. I will say it again: if anyone has a proposal to get us out of here, speak! Raving about savagery is itself savage. We should talk about what must be done, not who will decide what. The who is all of us, together. If one has an idea, bring it forth so it can be discussed. Not dictated. The dwarf believes we must build in stone. That bespeaks staying here. I say we must leave, and that means a ship, not a castle."

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Reston, VA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    {{ Hey, stop bad mouthing the halfling. At this point in the timeline he has done everything he signed up to. He doesn't stop doing watches for several days yet. }}

    {{ That and he has contributed some food(not much), helped with the piggy thing, offered sage advice, etc all while taking nothing away from the group. He has used no resources(food/wood/etc). }}
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

    www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Janson Himmerhardt

    Janson's breathing has slowed a bit. He speaks a beautiful, refined Elvish:

    /Why do you assume I am ignorant of your ways? I have spent time with your people, as an honored guest, and I have heard your stories. I have met many elves with more years than you, and certainly more wisdom. I called out to bring the young ones back together, not because I am a savage. Tell me, truthfully: did you or did you not have a leader in your villiage? Have you or have you not seen the benefits of cool, levelheaded, prompt decisionmaking in your life? You call for a plan at a moment when the entire group is going their separate ways? You may have seen more winters than me, elf, but life's lessons are slow to seep inside your thick skull.

    But, if, on the other hand, you can be civil to me, I'll be quite interested in your idea of boat-building./
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-02-28 at 08:33 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Tano

    Tano stiffened a bit when Himmerhardt spoke elvish, but replied in common: "If you're going to insult me, do so in a manner all can understand. And if you want to call the others back do so plainly. You are correct on but one point. The elves do have leaders. But among a group as small as this, consensus rules. You speak of knowing the ways of my people. I say you have seen only a small piece of our society. And if you want me to be civil to you, I say I spoke not the first uncivil word. None of us here are 'animals'."

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Janson Himmerhardt

    I...am sincerely sorry for the insult. Of course, I am not an elf, and I may not claim knowledge that is not mine. such was not my intent.

    I am angry and frustrated, and I believe that this meeting did more harm than good. Not one meaningful solution to any problem was agreed upon, though many were suggested.

    We are not animals, but we are acting like children. Is this what we should do when our very survival is at stake?

    Again, please accept my apologies.


    Janson walks over to the fire, grabs a burning stick to use as a torch, and walks into the woods away from the fire and from the camp.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Tano

    As Janson bent down to pick up a torch, Tano said, "Apology accepted, Master Himmerhardt. Before you go, I would ask that you stay. Unless it was just another rhetorical device, you seem to think our survival is at stake. I have seen no evidence of this. We have shelter, and sufficient sustenance. What imminent threats do you think we face? Certainly, there may be hostile natives, or monsters, but they do not seem close at hand. Did you see something up the beach that led you to this conclusion? I see about us the means of our escape: there are many trees near the sea. What do you see?"

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryk
    Tano

    Tano stiffened a bit when Himmerhardt spoke elvish, but replied in common: "If you're going to insult me, do so in a manner all can understand. And if you want to call the others back do so plainly. You are correct on but one point. The elves do have leaders. But among a group as small as this, consensus rules. You speak of knowing the ways of my people. I say you have seen only a small piece of our society. And if you want me to be civil to you, I say I spoke not the first uncivil word. None of us here are 'animals'."
    Mara Herbswife

    Mara was trying to stay out of the argument, but it's increasingly hostile tone put her on edge. When even Tano - the elf whom she had previously considered a cool head - began berating Master Himmerhardt, she stood abruptly, keeping her eyes down.

    "I have had enough," she said firmly. She raised her head and looked around. Those who knew her back home would have been shocked to see the uncharacteristic anger blazing in her eyes. "Is this what we have come to?" she asked bitterly. "This meeting was intended to unite our efforts, to bring us together, yet all it has done is divide us. I will no longer participate in such a counterproductive action. Perhaps Gil had the right of it. If all we can do is hurl insults and accusations at eachother, perhaps it is better if we each go our own way. I stand by what I said before; I will stay with the larger group. However, I will not, by all that is good and holy, I will not watch our small group of survivors tear itself apart. Good evening." With a final emphasis on the last phrase, Mara turned her back on the fire and went to take her customary position for the first watch without speaking another word.
    Last edited by Lonna; 2008-02-28 at 09:18 PM.
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Janson Himmerhardt, venerable human writer


    Ah. Yes. There must be some sort of fire wielding natives on this island. Otherwise, the burned bones would not have been left at that "altar." I realize they might not be dangerous, but considering the way Master Greybeard and the "hobbit" are acting, I don't think it's stretching the facts at all to assume that we should be in readiness to defend ourselves against attack.

    I have faced an unseen enemy before, but it was always with my weapon in my hand and my fellow soldier by my side. There is no discipline here, and I perceive that as dangerous.

    Now, you tell me--how does one go about making boats?


    (edit) Janson turned his full attention to Mara when she began speaking, and once he saw that Mara was headed into the woods in a huff, he put up his hand.

    Sorry, friend elf, but our further communications will have to wait until morning. I must follow the lady. I owe her much.

    Janson takes his burning stick with him and heads off as best he can to follow Mara.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-02-28 at 09:16 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Zed's Dead View Post
    Janson takes his burning stick with him and heads off as best he can to follow Mara.
    Mara Herbswife - Near bonfire but out of earshot

    When Janson caught up with Mara he found her breathing deeply of the cool evening air, the anger and frustration drained from her visage to reveal a weary sadness, tinged with resignation. The expression made her appear far older than her 19 years. Seeing him, she forced a rather pitiful smile onto her face.

    "I'm sorry about that," she said softly. "I lost my temper. That almost never happens, but I always hate it when it does."
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Imbrallius

    The clerk hated conflict. He was not afraid to confront someone when the matter was clear-cut, but this was the legendary dwarven stubbornness with Epswitch's characteristic behavior. Then Mara, Ovias, Jason all walked off."Well, this has quickly gone downhill." He followed Gil to see exactly what he was taking.

    Gil:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Imbrallius will allow you to take only what is marked on your sheet as yours. The food you put in, he will state that you were working for the community, and you benefitted from everyone else's labor. He is more than happy to allow you to bargain that your worth was more than any other person's.
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-02-28 at 11:49 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Janson Himmerhardt

    Lady, you have been a paragon of patience and virtuous, if not downright heroic, action these weeks. I am amazed by your resolve and am inspired by your courage. Even a heroine must let her guard down from time to time. You're human. You deserve to act like one from time to time.

    I've never known a woman of your strength of resolve.


    Here, Janson's bright grin can be seen, even in the torchlight.

    Despite my age, I know I would have remembered.

    Janson looks up at the stars and exhales slowly towards the sky.

    I, too, have acted out my frustration. I don't know why I thought shouting into the dark after our lost companions would change anything. The elf was right. I was acting a savage. Age cools the blood, true, but I certainly don't yet feel ice in the corridors of my body.

    This anger could simply be our frustration at being without control of any aspect of our lives since washing up on this strange shore. If we could return home, I'd imagine a good feast or fair day would be enough to return us all to rights...but it might be some time before we can do that.

    Perhaps we'll have cause for a celebration of our own sometime soon. We can work toward it, at least.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lonna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MD, DC area
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Mara Herbswife

    Master Himmerhardt's words brought a more genuine smile to Mara's face. "Thank you, Sir," she said quietly. "Perhaps we cannot convince our companions to return, but at least we can continue our discussions with those who remain. Later I may speak to the others, try to persuade them to return. For now, will you seek out Master Imbrallius? I believe he followed Gil to make sure only Gil's own possessions were taken from the communal supplies. I'll see if I can't persuade Ovias to return to the fire. Then perhaps we can actually decide something constructive."

    Returning to the fire briefly, Mara took up a branch to use as a torch. Looking around at those still sitting by the fire she said, "I apologize for my outburst a moment ago. If anyone else feels bound either to follow Gil and Master Shortoe or to join Maria, now may be the best time. If, on the other hand, you wish to remain with the rest of us, please be patient a little while longer. Master Himmerhardt and I will return shortly, and then we can hopefully come to some useful decisions rather than fighting amongst ourselves."

    By the light of the makeshift torch, Mara sought out Ovias and addressed him in the Dwarvish tongue, her words more formal than previously. <Your handling of the situation lacked grace,> she informed him. <When spite is returned for spite, none profit. Nevertheless, what is done is done. Will you not return to the fire? Tempers have cooled somewhat - let us attempt to keep whole that which threatens to break, and has already cracked.>
    I started a blog!
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

    My Player Profile

    My current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Thanks to Kasanip for the great avatar of Pyrene!
    Full version:
    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Janson Himmerhardt

    As you wish, Lady.

    Himmerhardt heads into the brush (after re-igniting his makeshift torch) to look for the recordkeeper Imbrallius.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    Imbrallius

    The clerk hated conflict. He was not afraid to confront someone when the matter was clear-cut, but this was the legendary dwarven stubbornness with Epswitch's characteristic behavior. Then Mara, Ovias, Jason all walked off."Well, this has quickly gone downhill." He followed Gil to see exactly what he was taking.

    Gil:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Imbrallius will allow you to take only what is marked on your sheet as yours. The food you put in, he will state that you were working for the community, and you benefitted from everyone else's labor. He is more than happy to allow you to bargain that your worth was more than any other person's.
    In response to Imbrallius insisting I not take any community gear, Gil simply shrugs. He nods good night to you, and sets off into the woods.

    In response to Maria's suggestion of setting up between the two sites, in a tree, Gil seems uncomfortable. Having spend much of the last 10 days in his company, you recognize that he seems agitated while setting up his bedroll about 20 feet from the halfling's lean-to. Maria also notices that he does not unpack his gear, but keeps everything tightly bundled and ready for travel.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jagadaishio's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by smartaleq View Post
    In response to Maria's suggestion of setting up between the two sites, in a tree, Gil seems uncomfortable. Having spend much of the last 10 days in his company, you recognize that he seems agitated while setting up his bedroll about 20 feet from the halfling's lean-to. Maria also notices that he does not unpack his gear, but keeps everything tightly bundled and ready for travel.
    Maria raises an eyebrow and hands Gil her dagger for writing in the dirt. "What's the matter?"
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Response in PM

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Imbrallius

    Once he is sure that Gil will not be taking anything that doesn't belong to him, Imbrallius lets out a deep sigh. "Does everyone want to be king of the pile, but dead?" When Jason approaches, Imbrallius keeps himself composed. "Good evening, Master Himmerhardt. I think I need to get back to the meeting." Imbrallius begins to walk back to the fire.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Janson Himmerhardt

    Right...

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    near MacArthur's bones
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Roostin

    OOC:

    I am also posting this in the IC thread. I can't keep track of what's where and when any more and I wanted to get this out there.

    Continuity:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like some of the rest of you, I have trouble with the continuity in this game. Until THE DM clarifies the issue of how it is going to work, we are going to have to muddle along. If players have the opportunity to post multiple times in a day, and choose to post several successive actions, they must expect that either a) no action which involves other players happens, or b) there will be backtracking and realignment enough to make Dr. Who dizzy.

    I realize that it can be very boring to post and then wait for someone to respond, and then post and then wait. That is the primal curse of this type of gaming. It is veryy slowwwwww. But it is the only fair way to allow all the people to actually participate.

    If the DM wants me to post every day, I will examine my schedule and decide if it is possible, and when it is possible. I do not, have not, and will not have the time in any conceivable future to post several times a day to a series of different actions. If that is what the game needs from its players, I need to leave now. Part of the reason I haven't posted is that every time I come on with twenty minutes or so to post, I need more than that time just to parse through all the other posts on all the threads.


    Location:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In my ignorance, I thought everyone had done what I though was obvious -- left the beach. We have a water source, which we can either lay claim to as upright bipedal tool users, or argue ownership with random wild animals on an nightly basis. We can live on the beach/treeline and be subject to every major storm, or we can build our makeshift shelter in the trees and have additional weather protection. I thought it was a no brainer, and in fact, somehow thought that's what we had done. Obviously, I was wrong. Had I realized my efforts last week were to help build a house in the sand, I would have said something.


    Metagaming:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had a long section about Epswitch and Ovias, but it all boiled down to: quit picking on the halfling because his sheet says LE.


    Having tossed all that gasoline on the fire, on to IC actions and another barrel of Premium:

    Roostin stood up and spoke, "Ah need to say some things. First of all, Ah have no intention of living here any longer than Ah have to. If Ah am going to spend a year building something, it's going to be a boat. In fact, 'fore I do that, Ah'm gonna take mah chances in one of them lifeboats over there. With a sail, some water, and fishhooks, Ah figure Ah have a chance. But Ah am not spending the next two years building a dang stone tower on this dang island. Y'all can help me, and have a place on the boat, or y'all can throw me out and ah'll work till Ah drop."

    "Second, why are y'all living on the dang beach? Do you want to be washed away by the next big storm? Ah thought we was moving to the water, and ah think we need to pick a spot we can defend from both critters and the weather and just do that."

    "Third, why are y'all so sure that hilltop is all about 'human sacrifice'? Didn't y'all want to cremate our people not ten days ago? Mebbe whatever lives here does that too. Ah'm not saying don't be ready if'n something wants to have steak a la Roosty; Ah'll be ready to fight, but Ah don't see why y'all getting your tights twisted. Ah don't think we should live there, though, until we find out more about it."

    "Fourth, ah do think we need to figure out who's in charge, but Ah don't think we figured it out yet. Maybe the elf is right and we can work it out among us a job at a time, sort of 'you do this and you do that' kind of thing. But Ah have to say, Ah have a real problem with picking one of y'all to be captain cause Ah don't think any one person here is up to the job. Ah include mahself in that. Ah know Ah cain't lead you folks, mostly 'cause Ah don't have the patience for all this talkety talk talk, but Ah can build you a boat to get off this sand heap, Ah tell you whut."

    "And it seems to me that if we're gonna have a commitee of four, we can just have a committee of twenty and listen to everybody. Yeah, Ah know that in a crisis there has to be somebody in charge, but we can just do that as part of the jobs. I nominate Zev for head of the guard and um, well me for in charge of building the boat. Mara should be in charge of keeping us alive, and we should listen to her unless we're under attack. Then we do what Zev says. Imbrallius is good at keeping track of stuff, and Jensen can keep track of whut happens and who knows whut. Maria should be in charge of hunting, and Ovias can be in charge of building the shelter that ALL OF US decide on. Ah know you're gonna think Ah'm silly, but Ah think Epswitch should be in charge of distributin' stuff. He ain't never cheated nobody, and he don't care if people like him so he ain't gonna give out more that a fair share to somebody 'cause they're his friends."

    "Oh, yeah. Ain't nobody hanging nobody. Y'all ain't never cared what happened to that there halfling and now you notice? How come y'all didn't rouse the camp when he never showed up? You never figured maybe he was hurt or dead all alone up there next to the chickens?"

    "Sixth, clerky guy over there needs to get a grip. If'n everything I put IN the pile has to stay there even if Ah need it back, then maybe Ah won't be putting anything into the pile, and maybe Ah need all mah stuff back now. Ah guess Ah'll just trade with Gil and Ep for food and you can count all your stuff over and over every day."

    "Finally, if'n you want to find out what's down the coast of the island, what say Ah take three or four of y'all and we row around the dang island and just look? Give me some time, and Ah can rig a sail to help, although we're still gonna have to do a lot of rowing."

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Yeril's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    As Roostin begins his speech, joseph sits and listens, Up until the point where he begins suggesting maria to be in charge of hunters.

    "Hold on a minute, no offense to the Girl, shes preety good an' all, but I've years of experience over her, prob'ly more than shes lived, and the meat I put in the cookpot, compared to the handful of berries she brought back shows this." He frowns slightly, but then shakes his head.

    "Thats not Important, what is important is that we come to a decision by tonight, preferably one that gets us off the beach and to work on a more suitable shelter. You know my thoughts and opinions, now good night" he nods, and heads out into the darkness to oncemore continue his hunt.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
    Roostin

    Continuity:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the DM wants me to post every day, I will examine my schedule and decide if it is possible, and when it is possible. I do not, have not, and will not have the time in any conceivable future to post several times a day to a series of different actions. If that is what the game needs from its players, I need to leave now. Part of the reason I haven't posted is that every time I come on with twenty minutes or so to post, I need more than that time just to parse through all the other posts on all the threads.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Noone expects you to port every day. As described in OOC thread, you can get away with posting once a week and still participate further when you feel like it. However, sparse posting is not conductive to certain parts of this game, like the quests or decision making. If you don't want to post often, you can post once to say what you are doing during the next n days, or even just give generic "I'll do whatever X tells me to, so long as it doesn't risk my life"


    Quote Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
    Location:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In my ignorance, I thought everyone had done what I though was obvious -- left the beach. We have a water source, which we can either lay claim to as upright bipedal tool users, or argue ownership with random wild animals on an nightly basis. We can live on the beach/treeline and be subject to every major storm, or we can build our makeshift shelter in the trees and have additional weather protection. I thought it was a no brainer, and in fact, somehow thought that's what we had done. Obviously, I was wrong. Had I realized my efforts last week were to help build a house in the sand, I would have said something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have yet to build anything, in the beach, the treeline or elsewhere. Ipswitch has a "tent" (no idea where he got canvas from, but nevermind) and the rest sleep in a makeshift "shack" made from the boat and canvas stretched over a wooden frame. We have not yet started to build anything at all permanent -indeed, half the purpose of this meeting was to decide where to build the bloody thing - and I am fairly certain that not a single person has even hinted at building in the beach at any point. I've no idea where you're pulling that out of. The options are, and have always been: build close to the water, likely turning drinkable water into undrinkable, build away from the water, by making a clearing (since we have found none) or finding a cave. All the other "options" are very nice strawmen you and others have pulled out from where the sun doesn't shine.


    Quote Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
    Metagaming:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had a long section about Epswitch and Ovias, but it all boiled down to: quit picking on the halfling because his sheet says LE.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I must be mistaken, since I'm fairly certain I clearly stated the reasons Ovias was angry at Ipswitch - abandoning the watch without telling anyone (Ovias wouldn't have cared less if Ipswitch had told him he was not going to watch anymore, since he was already predisposed to thinking the worst, but stopping without telling anyone is a different issue), and I have yet to see an argument in his favour that doesn't relay on metagaming reasoning like "I though we were close to the chikens". But, as I say, I must be mistaken. I'm sure that twocents somehow knows better than reasoning skills and has determined that, just like Ovias somehow suggested building a castle in the beach, he must have somehow made Ipswitch post that thing about abandoning the watch so he could pick on him because of some random aligment issues.[/sarcasm]

    Look, think of me what you want, do whatever the hell you want in this game, but crossing the line to putting words in my mouth - or thoughts in my head - I am not going to take gracefully. You have clearly not bothered doing any more than briefly scan the posts. You're busy. I can understand you not taking the time. But giving *me* lessons without bothering to actually reading what has been going on, that's beyond pale. I am not, nor have I ever, picked on Epswitch for whatever he has as aligment in the sheet, since I don't understand aligments. I have always responded to his actions.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lonna View Post
    Mara Herbswife
    <Your handling of the situation lacked grace,> she informed him. <When spite is returned for spite, none profit. Nevertheless, what is done is done. Will you not return to the fire? Tempers have cooled somewhat - let us attempt to keep whole that which threatens to break, and has already cracked.>
    Ovias "Grey" Greybeard - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

    <I am a dwarf, and an ungraceful one even by the loose standards of my race. I cannot deliver honneyed words or tell people what they want to hear. I am not, in short, a politician. I see reality, and tell it how I see it. I may be heavy handed, but you are all treating this like some nice holiday that we will be delivered from. That is the worst kind of hubrish, and tonight has shown as much. I will go back to the fire, but I sincerely distrust the ability of this group to understand what our situation is at this point>

    Returning to the fire in time to hear the words of the sailor does little to improve Ovias' humour.
    "A boat? That's yourr idea? Humpf. We have a small lifeboat that sits 8 people, with no rroom forr waterr orr food and over 20 people to sit in it, all of which rrequirre both. A biggerr boat will rrequirre more than wood: irron nails, which we have prrecious few, tarr and experrt knowledge, and morre I don't even know about. Even if you arre a good carrpenterr - although you look as grreen as I am - being good is not enough: you need masterr carrpenters worrking through months to ensurre the keel is waterrtight enough, even morre so without tarr! Also, a boat big enough to carry us all will rrequirre at least a basic dock, too. Now, you may be thinking of taking the boat, yourr two best frriends and leave us all behind. That plan would worrk, had we not turrned the boat into a shelterr, likely destroying its sea worrthiness, but I hope you underrstand that I will not be helping with that"

    "I want to get off this place too. But to do that, we do need to rrebuild a small piece of civilization. We need a prroperr place to sleep, and a smithy, and likely otherr facilities I am not yet awarre of - maybe even docks. And if we each decide to do only what we will, we will neverr get anything done. You seem to think we achieved grreat things in the last two weeks, but this is what we did: we collected some baubles and knick-knacks, and 10 units of wood and 15 of stone. Afterr two weeks, we do not have enough for even the most simple of boats, and yet you seem to think that at this rrate, we will accomplish something. Eitherr someone coorrdinates, or we will worrk at crross purrposes. Those arre the only choices."

    "Also, I have hearrd many of you make fun of my stone gatherring, calling it "building a castle" and other such ridiculous notions. I am a dwarf. I build in stone fasterr than a human builds in wood. If it cannot get through to yourr heads that when building something on land, stone is going to be betterr than wood because it will be done fasterr, and will save wood for those times when stone is unadvisable, I am afrraid that I am fighting a lost cause and we will all die herre. We need shelterr, and I'd like it to be a cave, but lacking a cave, we must build in the forrest, and since I suspect it will fall to me to build it, it makes sense that I build in those materrials I am most familiarr with."
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Imbrallius

    Imbrallius makes his way back to the fire at the tail end of Roostin's little speech.

    "Let me explain why I stated that Master Gil could not get an equivalent amount of food that he placed in. He benefitted from everyone's labor on the things he did not do. This is not a matter of him inputting material and receiving nothing in return. He put in his efforts, as did we all, and everyone received the same amount. He slept in our temporary housing, just as we ate some of the food he brought back. Now, that he disagrees with Master Greybeard's outburst, he wants to get his input back after he has already benefitted. I can not, in good conscience, consider that fair to the rest of us, including yourself, Master Roostin. Would you find it fair if I contributed nothing, yet received everything? His own personal property is his, and so I allowed him to take it, but I cannot allow him to receive something for nothing. If that happens, I foresee starvation and anarchy."

    "Now, if the majority wishes him to have his contribution back, I will gladly submit to the will of the people. Master Roostin, I believe you echo a common sentiment. We all want to get off this island. But in order to do that, we'll need shelter and food. No one wants you to build a boat until you die. But when we leave, I want to ensure that we are not taking a wild chance by packing us in like sardines on a tiny keelboat with a week's worth of provisions. We need to work together to escape, and in good faith, that means we need to keep everyone together. I am not trying to malign or marginalize anyone, including Master Shortoe. But I know that organization is key to getting off this island faster, and that means we need to have a forum for discussion, and not try to do everything on our own."

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by smartaleq View Post
    With the flame having long since been reduced to embers, Ovias finishes speaking. A chill wind coming off the water reminds everyone of how late it is, and those assembled dissipate and prepare for bed. The discussion still hangs heavy in the air, and everyone has much to think about.



    OOC: From now on, no speeches are assumed to address the group, if you want to continue discussions, do it in PMs amongst a few instead of this thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully the time-warps work themselves out by week 3. I just want to say that this RP was frickin' phenomenal. We essentially have a dozen people across the world writing a community story that is both compelling and fun. Kudos all!
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While I agree it is likely a good place to stop (although having got the last word, I'm biased), I'm somewhat out of sorts with you calling the shots - that should really be the DM. Then again, storyteller has been MIA for a while, so you as the thread starter are a good second choice.

    Re: RP, I agree, this is being great fun, although I'm starting to fear that playing a CHA 6 dwarf is going to have serious and permanent effects on my reputation. Several people seem unable to tell apart Ovias from Grey Wolf at this point.


    Edit: the post I'm answering to seems to have disapeared...
    Edit two: nevermind, it seems it did some time-travel of its own. See below. At least I can now say I still stand by my feeling it is a good place to stop, even when I did not get the last word :)
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-02-29 at 02:44 PM.
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by smartaleq View Post
    Procedural OOC:

    I'm going to insist we end this discussion by 24hrs from this post time. We should have decent decisions/indecision made, and the longer we discuss, the more difficult it is to stay semi-chronological.
    With the flame having long since been reduced to embers, Ovias finishes speaking. A chill wind coming off the water reminds everyone of how late it is, and those assembled dissipate and prepare for bed. The discussion still hangs heavy in the air, and everyone has much to think about.



    OOC: From now on, no speeches are assumed to address the group, if you want to continue discussions, do it in PMs amongst a few instead of this thread. This post was deleted and replaced because it ninja'd Imbrallius, and it should be after.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully the time-warps work themselves out by week 3. I just want to say that this RP was frickin' phenomenal. We essentially have a dozen people across the world writing a community story that is both compelling and fun. Kudos all!
    Last edited by smartaleq; 2008-02-29 at 02:41 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    Agreed, the RP'ing was nice. Really a more mature Lord of the Flies-esque feel

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Shipwrecked! Housing and Leadership Meeting

    I think we're all mature enough to know that the characters we play are just that--characters--parts of ourselves or others, but not ourselves. Survivor and Lost ain't got nothin' on this, bizatches!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •