New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: From the Great Deep to the Great Deep

Now! Now was the moment, before the stunned silence had broken, to give a call of support, preempting the inevitable uproar.

Maelfannon calls out, adding as much surprise and enthusiasm to his voice as he can without sounding trite and overeager. "He has pulled the Sword from the Stone! It is as the Merlin has said. By right of the sword of Uther Pendragon, Arthur is true heir to the crown!"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffin

"Here's your chance, father," Griffin murmurs to King Leodegrance. "A king who isn't Orkneys." Following his father's lead, the young prince kneels before the High King.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

"It's a trick, a stupid bard's trick," Lot screams. The rest of the knights and kings are still, expect Sir Ector, who pulls his sword and kneels. "'Tis true," Ector says, "my son . . . Arthur, he's the true son of Uther Pendragon."

"You say it's a trick, Lot of Orkneys," Arthur says, his voice carrying suddenly. He turns and slams it back into the rock. "Then pull it, Orkneys. Pull it."

Lot laughs, and steps up to the stone. He places both massive hands on it. "When I pull this forth, boy, I'll split your skull with it." He beings to pull. The muscles on his arms stand out, great ropes. He grits his teeth with such force that one shatters with an audible crack, sending tiny shards of bone shooting out. And then . . . nothing. The sword stands still.

Boos start from the crowd, and Lot steps back. Arthur walks up to him, then past, and pulls the sword again with ease. Many present break out in cheers, even some Orkneys men.

Leodegrance of Cameliard is first, pulling forth his sword and kneeling. "My lord, my King, take this, your sword, and take my service, son of the Pendragon."

Arthur steps over to him. "Good king, you have been a kind master to my father for these many years. I leave you your sword, but take your service with a grateful heart." He looks over to Griffin. "And your son's service as well, if I may."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

He's done it. He's done it!

Owain steps forward and sinks to one knee. His eyes skitter to the side; find Griffin. "Griff," he hisses, hoping the other will follow his lead.
    "All hail King Arthur! Long live the High King!" He thrusts a fist into the air.

5. - Top - End - #95

Lot's sword comes out. "No! This trickery will not stand!" He takes step toward Arthur as the Archbishop steps between the two.

"You swore an oath, Lot of Orkneys, that peace would be kept here. Will you defame yourself and your honor?" The Archbishop's stare carries glints of hellfire, and Orkneys' men begin to mumble.

Lot stops. "You men are Kings," he says to Alain, Malahaut, and Cornwall. "Will you stoop to this boy?"

Alain pulls his sword. "Better than stooping to you, Lot." He kneels before Arthur. "My sword, my life, my honor, to you, my King."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Father and Leodegrance have acknowledged arthur. If the Centurion and Cornwall do, too, Lot would have no choice...

It is not his place to speak out against Lot, and so Owain remains on bent kne beside his father.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffin

The Prince of Cameliard stays kneeling beside his father, but raises his head just the slightest amount to meet Arthur's eyes. An inclination of his head, respectful but just the slightest bit irreverent, and the corner of a smile touches his lips. Friends first, it seems to say, and Lot be damned.

8. - Top - End - #98

The Centurion Knight turns to his men. "Break camp. We will be marching within the hour." His troops turn and depart in good order. He looks at Arthur, then at Lot. "I did not come here to swear my sword to a child. I came here to find a King, and I see very few of those in attendence." With a slight bow to those present, Malahaut turns and leaves.

Felix of Cornwall kneels before Arthur. "The Centurion is wrong, my King. The blood of Uther flows still here, before me, and blessed are my days that I live to see it. Take my sword and my loyalty, Arthur High King." Arthur puts a hand on the old man's head and whispers something.

Lot's fury nears breaking. "By right of arms and right of tourney I won the crown this day, boy," he spits at Arthur. "And now I will take it, and your head, by right of battle. Attend for a bloody summer, Arthur bastard of Uther, and all your pathetic band." Lot draws a dagger and cuts his palm, dark blood welling forth. "Tale spinner, heed this, that by my blood this day I swear upon Morrigan that I will kill this bastard of a bastard or die on the path." Archbishop Dubrecis pales slightly, and makes the sign of the cross.

The Merlin smiles. "I so witness your blood oath, Orkneys, and I feel the Morrigan has heard as well. She will walk with you on whatever path lies ahead." Lot grunts and stalks out his troops behind him.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Owain

Cornwall has pledged. The Centurion has not--but neither has he pledged for Lot; there's hope there, yet. As for Lot--so very greedy. He cares for nothing but the throne, and feels he has been robbed.
    Owain ap Alain rises from his kneeling position, and there is thunder on his face.
    "That was ill said, my lord," his baritone tolls out.
    "Your lordship is too proud. The strongest beast is not the one that roars most loud! May you reap what you have sown here, Lot of Orkneys. Methinks it will be an ill harvest."
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-05-13 at 02:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

Lot continues to march out. "Thought I heard a pup mewling," he says to one of his knights.

Arthur watches Lot go, then turns to the gathered men. "I thank the Kings of Cornwall, Escavalon, and Cameliard for their loyalty. It shall never be forgotten, and shall always be repaid. It is good to know such trusted men are with me." Arthur seems to be finding his "kingly" voice quickly. "But I need trusted me at my side, at all times, for Orkneys is not an honorable foe. I ask Owain ap Alain, Griffin of Cameliard, Maelfannon of Tintagel, Bedevere of Cameliard, and . . ." He raises his voice, so the men of Orkneys can hear. ". . . and Cai of Orkneys to step forward!"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

Owain

Owain ap Alain,already standing, steps forward first; positions himself so that the morning sun comes down on golden curls and a green tunic, throwing his long shadow out to the side. He is tall, Owain, and broad--he towers over standing and kneeling men alike. His arms rise and spread, palms up, as though he were presenting himself to Arthur, to the gathered mass of men, to the world. Things innumerable and without name swell within him; a high tide, which threatens to burt from his throat in a cry of joy.
    "It is the just man who, like a bold lion, should be without fear. I am here!"
    He lowers his hands, moves to one side to make room for the others, stands still and proud.
    "You were my friend before you were my liege, High King Arthur; I will serve you doubly well for that. Ask sword or service or life of me; I will pledge it."
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-05-14 at 09:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maelfannon shakes his head at Owain's antics with Lot, and the great pride motivating them, and watches again as that same great pride moves Owain to call attention to himself as he crosses the field.

Not one to be either so flashy or overt, Maelfannon quietly moves to Arthur's side, saying quietly to his mother and sister before he does, "It seems my path has always been crossed by the business of High Kings."

Standing quietly next to the boy-king, straight and still, Maelfannon aches for the opportunity to talk to Arthur: to cajole, to congratulate, to plan his next actions, but he holds his tongue, waiting for a moment of greater propriety with which to talk to the High King. For now, it was Arthur's show, and he had no intention of spoiling it or stealing the spotlight.
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-05-15 at 07:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffin

The prince steps up and kneels. "What would you have of me, my friend and my king?"

14. - Top - End - #104

You all step before the King. Arthur smiles at you all. "These squires, these men," he says, "they have proven their worth to me, they have proven that I can trust them. Let it be recorded that my first act as King is to raise Bedevere of Cameliard, Maelfannon of Tintagel, Owain of Escavalon, and Griffin of Cameliard to the rank of knight, and that I do name them, without prejudice to their station or their heritage, my personal guard." The sword of the Pendragon dips to touch your shoulders lightly. "So rise, Sir Griffin, Sir Owain, Sir Maelfannon, and Sir Bedevere, and go forth and arm yourself to my defense."

15. - Top - End - #105

Bedevere stands. "My lord, my king, I swear to you my absolute loyalty, fealty, my sword and my honor." The men cheer.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

Owain hastens to retrieve his sword-belt, donning it and putting the sword in its finely crafted, gold-chased leather sheath through it. He returns to Arthur, just behind Bedevere.

"My lord, my king," he repeats, turning Bedevere's words into something more formal, hoping the rest will follow suit, "I swear to you my absolute loyalty, fealty, my sword, and my honor."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffin

"My lord, my king," he says, pausing a moment to let the "my friend" stand unsaid, "I swear to you my absolute loyalty, fealty, my sword and my honor."

At Arthur's bidding, he rises, and heads toward Cameliard's camp, though as he passes Leodegrance, his father stops him.

"Sir Griffin," the older king says, the glint of knightly tears of joy in his eyes. "I believe this is yours." He holds out a sheathed sword, and Griffin takes it gratefully. Only after he holds it in his hands and sees that his father is wearing a simple, unadorned blade rather than his own sword does he realize the magnitude of Leodegrance's gift.

His eyes flash with pride and gratitude that mere words could never convey, and he embraces his father as a brother before rejoining the High King, his father's sword - now his - at his side.
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2008-05-22 at 03:07 PM. Reason: ZOMG Cyan is bright on this screen

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maelfannon kneels before Arthur and follows Bedivere's lead, swearing his allegiance to the High King. "My lord, my king, I swear to you my absolute loyalty, fealty, my sword and my honor. Where my King wills it, there shall I put my sword."

19. - Top - End - #109

Armed and honored, you stand together before the assembled knights. "Hurrah for the knights of King Arthur," Leodegrance shouts, and every throat rips loose with a loud "Hurrah!" As the cheering continues, Arthur leans forward and whispers to you all: "That was the easy part. Go find Cai for me and bring him here, if he will come."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

Sir Owain

The newly-knighted youth bows to Arthur; glances at his similarily-honored friends.
    "Cai... left with Orkneys' men, I think. So, we go after them. Let us don armor and ride, then, and offer Cai his choice."
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-05-29 at 05:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111

"I want him to know he's welcome at my side," Arthur said. "Now, I should speak with the Kings. We'll be back in the central tent. Thank you, my friends. Knowing you'll be at my side will make the upcoming days that much easier." Arthur shakes your hands with a small smile, then turns. "I would meet with the Kings of Escavalon, Cameliard, and Cornwall, with the Archbishop, and the Merlin."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

Sir Owain

"Come on, friends."
    Owain moves towards the men of Escavalon, seeking out his younger brother.

"David! Where's my armor? Come help me get it on. Errand for the High King, you know."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffin throws on a mail hauberk, quick as he can, and an argent-and-gules tabard over the steel links, then stands ready to accompany his friends.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Returning to the side of his mother and sister, Maelfannon carefully avoids meeting eyes with Morgan. Not knowing what her reaction will be, or whether it will be a pleasant one, he would rather find out later. He was on the King's business.

Donning a mail haubergeon and coif and the surcoat emblazoned with his arms, he asks an attendant to fetch his horse, and bring it to where he was meeting the others.
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-05-30 at 09:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

The four of you make your way toward Lot's camp. His soldiers are breaking camp, tents coming down, horses being readied for travel. The common soldiers part for you as you make your way toward Orkneys' banner, which features a silver castle on a black background. You see Cai, packing Lot's belongings.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maelfannon manages a smile at the sight of Cai. He had begun to worry that he would be at Lot's side, and thus much harder to converse with.

With a somewhat cheery wave, the young man from Tintagel calls out to Lot's squire. "Cai! We need to speak with you! We bear a message of great import from" at this point, Maelfannon's smile becomes a fully fledged grin, "the High King, Arthur!"

27. - Top - End - #117

Cai flinches as Lot comes out of the tent. "High King? A boy king and his child knights," the King of Orkneys says with a laugh. "It's all a game to you, isn't it, boy? That young fool and his masters are going to start a war over this. You think he's earned the right to call himself my King because he drew a sword? He's unproven, untested, and can't show his royal blood. But forgive me," he snarls, "you've come to speak to my squire. Go on, then."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffin

As the others speak to Cai, Griffin keeps his eyes on Lot. "You may contest Arthur's royal blood," he says in that quiet manner of his, but more formally than he has spoken in years, "But surely not mine - for as I am the son to a man you recognize as a brother king, then surely I am a Prince in my own right. Therefore, hear me out in full, King Lot," he says.

"Your pride, nay, your honor, may well demand that you refuse this young man's claim to the throne, but I pray that you will not throw your own holdings to the four winds for pride alone. All other leaders of men have either thrown in their lot with the High King, or like the Centurion, stood apart - but if you stand against him, surely even in victory you would lose many vassals. There can be no benefit for you in war.

"I do not ask that you recant your skepticism, merely that you follow the Centurion's example: wait, and see. Send Cai to watch the court, to advise you of its doings, and form your opinions on the king you call a lad by way of patience and observation, rather than by rash pride. I suspect that you will not be dissappointed - and that in your decision to stand by and learn, all will know that Lot of Orkneys is a wise and just king indeed."

He waits cautiously, hoping to God above that he has given Orkneys an out with his pride intact rather than provoking Lot's legendary wrath. Still, he reasons in the seconds before destruction, he has done nothing to insult the king in truth - if there is cause for harm, it is only in Orkney's mind, and his fellow knights will back him.

At least, he hopes so.
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2008-06-03 at 02:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

"Well spoken, scion of Cameliard," Lot says. "And yet I am not driven solely by pride. Our island faces great threats, Prince Griffin. Here in the southlands you have not yet faced the Saxons en masse, as we have in the North. As the Centurion has. You have not faced the fury of the Norsemen, or the Irish. We came together here this day to choose a High King to lead us in battle against the carrion crows that would pick at our bones, and at battle I and my men have been shown to be victorious. A priest and a conjurer would take instead take a boy they can control and expect him to lead to victory?"

He shakes his head. "Nay. We cannot afford such luxuries now. And ask yourself this, son of Leodegrance. Was your father going to come on bended knee to me after I had won? Would proud Alain of Escalavon kneels before the barbarian Lot of the North? Nay. It was all going to end in war one way or the other. But yet, I have not heard the words the High King Arthur has for my squire. Come now, and tell us of his great words." The sarcasm at the last few words cannot be missed.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffin

"I will not speak for my father, and I can not speak for King Alain," Griffin says, "But I can speak for myself, and I say honestly that, had you pulled that sword from that stone, I would have followed you as the rightful high king," he says, with eyes that speak only truth. Swiftly, he moves on to a separate subject.

"I am also inclined to believe your words on the threats from without. Would that not dictate a need for an allied, if not united, land?" he muses. "In any event, I will carry your concern to the high king, and again, I pray that you will consider at least a peace between Orkneys and the high king, in light of those concerns."

With that, Griffin turns to Cai.

"Cai, the High King asks that we present you to him, to be a knight in his service and, without prejudice to heritage or station, a member of his personal guard. The choice is yours, and yours alone," he says, careful not to look at Lot as he says this, "Even as it was my choice to serve as such."