New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Coliseum [Exhibition Matches]

OOC Thread

The announcer appears at the centre of the arena. "Ladies and gentlemen, we are proud to present to you a series of exhibition matches. These fights have been requested by the competitors themselves; there are no stakes, no goal but to crush their foes, and no mercy. Let's begin, shall we?" As she finishes speaking, the announcer disappears and the arena shimmers and changes, revealing the battlefield. As the landscape solidifies, the two competitors appear...

[br]

Pinnacle and G-Armour, you find yourselves in a well-lit warehouse. The roof is about forty feet high. Large boxes and containers are distributed in rows throughout the floor. A large walkway runs thirty feet above your head, and it criss-crosses over most of the arena. You each see your opponent approximately one hundred feet away. The announcer's voice echoes throughout the battlefield.

"Begin."

((Neither of you are surprised, so let's roll initiative))
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-28 at 09:52 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: The Coliseum [Exhibition Matches]

On one side of the ring stands a bulky, heavily armored figure, whose metallic shell shimmers with gravitational energy as he begins charging up his systems and assumes a combat stance.

Initiative (1d20 1=18)
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

At the other corner stands an ordinary-looking young man wearing ordinary street clothes (jeans, boots, and a T-shirt that reads "I'm easily distrac--Ooh! A bunny!"). The only unusual thing about his appearance is the blaster at his belt, but he makes no move to reach for it.

He quickly scans the arena. I don't normally throw stuff 'cuz I don't wanna damage people's property, but I think those boxes are fair game... but for all I know some of them are empty and I won't know until I waste the time to lift one. Arena's small enough that I can easily hit him even if he tries to fly... Looks like the old-fashioned way.

As his opponent assumes a fighting stance, Pinnacle dashes forward, fast enough to betray that he's not so ordinary. Deciding on a simple strike to feel out G-Armor's defenses, Pinnacle runs forward, aims a powerful punch at the other's head, and then moves quickly back.

(Move up to G-Armor, attack, and then move back to the center of the arena.)
    Initiative (1d20 8=27)
    Attack (1d20 8=22)
    If 22 hits, Toughness DC is 27.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

((Nerd-o-rama, you need to post a combat action))

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Toughness Save (1d20 12=30)

The punch, though well-aimed, doesn't even phase the metal-clad figure, who then lifts slightly off the ground in a wave of distorted air. He then returns the favor by dashing forward on his anti-gravity field, fist-first.

Charge Attack (1d20 10=26)
    (DC 27 Damage save of your own, assuming that hits)
    (-2 Defense for the next turn)
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

((I'd prefer to make the Toughness Saves behind the GM screen, if that's all right with you. Your roll's still valid, though))

G-Armour's fist easily connects with his foe, delivering a solid hit directly to his centre of mass. Unfortunately, the unarmoured hero simply shrugs off the blow, completely unharmed.

((Nerd-o-rama, your character sheet seems to be conflicted about how much enhanced strength you have. You Abilities section says 30, but your battlesuit says 32. In either case, though, it's not enough to beat Pinnacle's Impervious))

Edit:

G-Armour's fist easily connects with his foe, delivering a solid hit directly to his centre of mass. Pinnacle staggers back slightly. While the blow obviously hurt him a little, it failed to do any serious damage.

((Incidentally, you need to specify whether you're using lethal or non-lethal attacks. In any case Pinnacle is now Bruised, and possibly Injured))
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-27 at 03:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

(Pinnacle always uses nonlethal damage, unless doing so doesn't work on a particular enemy, like a construct)

Pinnacle
    1 Bruise, 1 HP

Pinnacle doubles over, probably overreacting for someone able to take that blow and keep standing. "Heh. You need that suit just to keep up with me, and that was still a very bad move."

He seems to intend this as a threatening statement, but the grimace of pain on his face, the wheeze in his voice, and the wetness around his eyes make it a bit of a laughable attempt. But he immediately hops up and launches a powerful spin kick, which seems considerably more serious.

Demoralize-move action (1d20 3=4)
    Power Attack 2 (1d20 6=24)
    (If the 24 hits, that's a DC 29 Toughness Save this time)
    Last edited by Pinnacle; 2008-02-27 at 03:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Pinnacle's powerful spinning kick manages to hit a weak point in his foe's armour. While an ordinary human blow would have simply glanced off, the sheer inhuman strength of the attack is sufficient to scramble the suit's systems momentarily and knock it to the ground.

((G-Armour, you are Bruised, Stunned, and Prone. If you wish you can use a Hero Point to either shake off the Stun or reroll the save.))
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-27 at 08:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

((Reroll the save, please.))

HP: 0
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite the power of Pinnacle's blow, the suit's armour successfully absorbs most of the blow. Though slightly damaged, the suit automatically reroutes control and power systems around the compromised areas, keeping its combat ability from degrading.

((You are only Bruised.))

((Summary:

G-Armour

HP: 0
    Bruised

Pinnacle

HP: 1
    Bruised

Next action: G-Armour))

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Close," says an electronically-filtered voice from within the suit. It's a sealed system, so G-Armor's voice would obviously come over a speaker of some kind.

He then responds to the powerful blow by shifting stances and aiming an open-palmed strike directly at his opponent's jaw, before dashing thirty feet straight up and hovering among the catwalks.

Stunning Attack (1d20 8=22)

(DC 22 Fortitude save if that connects. Failure by 1-5 is Dazed, 5-10 is Stunned, 10+ is Unconscious. G-Armor is now at catwalk level, 30' above the floor.)
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Pinnacle staggers back from the blow, stars flashing in front of his eyes. The powerful hero is forced to lean heavily against a box and wait for the world to stop spinning.

((Pinnacle is now Stunned. For a Hero Point, you can shake it off.))

13. - Top - End - #13

Pinnacle
    1 Bruise, 0 HP, Defense 16 (-2 AOAttack), Toughness +11 (+12 - 1 Bruise), Impervious 12

"Uugh.." Pinnacle shakes his head to clear his vision, then jumps moves quickly to recover the precious split-second. He jumps straight up onto some of the boxes, then dashes across them and leaps forward.
    "Not bad, kid, but why don't you try it?" he calls as he flies through the air and takes a wild swing at G-Armor with his hands held together.

He lands awkwardly and slightly off-balance on the catwalk.
    (Assuming he can land there after jumping past G-Armor; otherwise he lands awkwardly and slightly off-balance on the floor.)

(I'll use that Hero Point to shake of the Stun. He switches the Leaping array to Slow-Fall after he lands on the catwalk.
    All-Out Attack and Power Attack for two each, which leaves him with Defense of only 16 for the round.
    Attack (1d20 8=15)
    Toughness DC of 29 if that hits.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

G-Armour, at his higher vantage point, sees Pinnacle's attack coming and manages to quickly move out of the way. Pinnacle lands on the catwalk, a little off balance, but otherwise fine.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Sensing an opening, G-Armor turns and point his arm at his opponent. The whole surface of his armor momentarily shimmers with energy, which flows to collect on his outstretched fist and then fire in a bolt of raw force at Pinnacle's back.

Power Attack 2 (1d20 6=18)

Now slumping slightly, G-Armor flies into the air again, above the catwalks, waiting for his gravity field

(How far up is the roof? G-Armor flies up a maximum of...I've lost the table that tells me his speed in feet/round, but his maximum fly speed; obviously less if the roof is lower.)
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

((Your Flight speed is 50mph, so you can move 500ft per move action. Since the warehouse roof is only twenty feet above the catwalk, you easily make it))

Pinnacle takes the brunt of the blast, but manages to stay on his feet. The platform around him isn't so lucky, and the mutant hero steps quickly to avoid falling off.

((Pinnacle rolls an very lucky save and is completely unharmed.))

17. - Top - End - #17

Pinnacle
    1 Bruise, Defense 16, Toughness +11 (+12 - 1 Bruise), Impervious 12

Uh oh. If this can break that easily, he could ground me if he works at it.

Still feeling the pain of the earlier attack, Pinnacle shakes his head and leaps into the air toward G-Armor. He does a somersault, using the momentum of the flip to launch an extra-powerful kick at the expense of knowing he'll land off-balance again.
    (After the attack, he lands as high up as possible.)

Attack (1d20 8=16)
    Power Attack and All-Out Attack for two each again, for a DC of 29.
    Gamer avatar by kpenguin. I love the tiny little game pad belt.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Unfortunately for Pinnacle, G-Armour once again uses his height advantage to evade the powerful kick. Fortunately, Pinnacle still manages to land on a parallel walkway, though he has to lean against the railing for a moment to catch his balance.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

G-Armor decides to take advantage of his flight and soften Pinnacle up a bit. His recharged armor quickly generates another powerful Gravity Wave, which he fires at Pinnacle before flying off another 100' laterally along the ceiling, attempting to stay well out of his opponent's reach for now.

Another Power Attack 2 (1d20 6=19)
    (And another DC 29 Toughness)
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

The powerful wave of force scores a direct hit on the still off-balance Pinnacle, lifting him off his feet and slamming him into a guardrail. The rail barely holds, and Pinnacle is stunned by the ferocity of the attack.

((Pinnacle receives another Bruised condition, as well as being Stunned and Prone))

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

(Since he's Stunned and out of Hero Points, I guess I can go again?)

"Say goodnight."

Moving in for the kill, G-Armor dives in a flying tackle toward Pinnacle, slamming into him with the full brunt of his strength and lifting him from the catwalk.

Charge Power Attack 5 (1d20 5=20)
    Improved Grab Grapple Check (Pin) (1d20 20=26)
    (DC 32 Toughness, and the grapple check is to go for the pin.)
    (Oh, and switched the array back to Enhanced Strength obviously; this is an unarmed attack. Just thought I'd clarify.)
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-02-28 at 04:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

G-Armour connects with a solid blow to Pinnacle's head, knocking the mutant unconscious. As he crumples to the floor, the entire warehouse shudders and disappears, leaving the two combatants standing in the middle of a lowered pit, surrounded by an audience slightly hidden in the darkness. The announcer reappears in the centre of the room.

"The match has been declared for G-Armour by virtue of a knockout. On behalf of The Coliseum, I congratulate you on your victory."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

The announcer appears at the centre of the arena. "Ladies and gentlemen, we are proud to present to you a series of exhibition matches. These fights have been requested by the competitors themselves; there are no stakes, no goal but to crush their foes, and no mercy. Let's begin, shall we?" As she finishes speaking, the announcer disappears and the arena shimmers and changes, revealing the battlefield. As the landscape solidifies, the two competitors appear...

Gravestone and Rook, you find yourselves, oddly enough, in what looks like a traditional office building. Cubicles are set up in rows running up and down a large open area. There are no people. Outside a window, you can see what looks like an ordinary city street. Your foe appears on the opposite end of the room. The announcer's voice echoes throughout the battlefield.

"Begin."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Between two cubicle rows stands a muscled man in shorts and a deep blue football jersey. The flimsy cubicle walls around him seem to be shaking a bit, and the black goggles over his eyes do little to conceal his excitement.

When the announcer begins the match, Rook's fists start sparking and he crosses the hall in a literal flash. "Hey, do you have to sand your beard in the morning? You can tell me, I just have to find this out." he says before he leaps in the air and throws a punch at Gravestone's face.

Initiative: (1d20 2=14)
    Attack: (1d20 10=15)

{{All-Out and Power Attacking for five each, for a Toughness DC of 30, nonlethal. Unless that knocks Gravestone out, Rook uses his remaining move action to zip deep into the maze of cubicles. Which reminds me, how much does it take to plow through a cubicle wall?}}
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2008-02-29 at 02:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    Which reminds me, how much does it take to plow through a cubicle wall?
    (( Well, seeing as you're both super-strong types with Unstoppable, I'm just going to handwave cubicle walls as not being able to significantly slow either of you down. ))
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-29 at 02:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

The mighty Gravestone stood among the cubicles, the great stone man dressed in one of his finest custom Italian suits. It would probably be ruined after this battle- but that just meant he would have to be even worse on his foe. He didn't look that impressive, anyway.

The other fighter was over to him in a flash, it seems his abilities were not all appearances suggested. He made a joke, at which Gravestone sighed. Heroes, so typical.

Taking the punch in the face, he made a return one in the stomach of his leaping foe. "Make all the jokes you want, but at the end of the day it'll be me standing over your grave."

Initiative: (1d20+2)[9]
    Attack: (1d20+10)[11]

(Assuming I manage to hit him before he zooms off. In that case I go after him.)
    Last edited by Tichrondrius; 2008-03-01 at 03:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Rook, using powerful kinetic forces to enhanced his blow, slams into the slower moving monolith. To your surprise, the blow does absolutely nothing, and actually hurts your hand slightly. As you run off, you sense the giant starting to follow you.

Gravestone, your natural toughness allows you to shake off the blow easily, though you get the impression that was more luck than skill; the football player is likely capable of seriously hurting you. You charge after him directly, knocking several cubicles aside before reaching him with a powerful (but badly misaimed) blow, that your foe simply sidesteps around.

((Tichrondrius, I translated your attack into a charge; it was the only way you could both reach Rook and attack))

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oww." Rook shakes his bruised hand as he zig-zags between - and through - the cubicle rows. That was like punching a well-dressed Mt. Rushmore. Nonetheless, sparks fly as he comes around for a new attempt.

Attack! (1d20 10=16)

{{Again, All Out and Power Attack for five each, DC 30, nonlethal. I noticed that I forgot to pick up the Alternate Save Extra for my Paralyze, and that Will makes very little sense in this case. Do you mind if I change it to Fort after the fight?}}
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2008-03-01 at 12:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Rook's powerful blow strikes true, and and once again you get the impression that if it weren't for your powers you'd be nursing a broken hand right now. Still, you feel something give beneath your blow, and from the look on your foe's face it seems that it hurt him a lot more than it hurt you.

((Gravestone, you are Stunned and Bruised. You can use a Hero Point to cancel the Stun, or reroll the save.))