Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Demon Sword IC

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Demon Sword IC

Tactical map of this round's events:

Spoiler
    Show

Ukio seems to be distracted. Perhaps he left his oven on last night?

Kazuo's deft dagger blows hit nothing but air.

The Oh Oni scoffs somewhere in front of Kazuo. "Cowardly? You humans and your "honor". This is a fight, a life or death situation. Rules are irrelevant. Only victory, glory, and blood are relevant. Let me show you..." It steps over to Ukio's position and gives the distracted warrior a swing, but Marlia tries to sunder the weapon...

(1d20+42)[45] (Morningstar's attack of +26 + two handed bonus of +4 + three size category weapon difference of +12 (medium vs gargantuan weapon)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Marlia'zara

As soon as the Oh Oni moves to attack, the elf-woman moves between it and Ukio. Her blade flashes, a dark shadow that cleaves through the night like a bird taking flight. She strikes the morningstar with practiced grace and ease. "And yet my honor proves a stronger blade than your pathetic metal stick. It is my honor and my will that has given me the strength to triumph over you and your kind. It is the honor and resolve of those men at the gate that drove you back. And it will be the honor and will of mortals that sees you destroyed, pretender-demon. This is your final chance to leave, or my Shuunenbukai Iki will claim your life."

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Roll(19+32=51)

Damage Roll(1+18=19)

Iaijutsu Focus(17+19=36)

Iaijutsu Focus Damage(22)

Shuunenbukai's Will Save(14+2)

End Result:
    Attack Roll - 51
    Damage Roll - 41

Using Shuunenbukai Iki, so she ignores Hardness 20 or lower.

Since she didn't move last round, she five-foot steps to Q-15 as part of her readied action.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2008-03-16 at 09:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

The morningstar is shorn cleanly in half. The spiked head sails in a clean arc and imbeds itself in a tree.

ROUND OVER

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Kazuo

Kazuo watches the head of the morningstar appear from nothingness and fly off. Knowing that his enemy has been rendered unarmed, he hurries to a position opposite his allies, putting the Oh Oni between them.

Kazuo then draws back his dagger and plunges it forward with surprising force into the space he knows to be occupied by the monster.

Spoiler
    Show

Kazuo ends his move at R-19. Again, Kazuo allocates 2 points from his attack roll to his AC with Combat Expertise.

Kazuo also uses his Bonecrusher maneuver with his attack, which inflicts an extra 4d6 points of damage upon a successful hit and requires the target to save (DC13) or suffer a +10 to attackers confirmation of critical threats until the damage is healed.

Attack roll: (1d20+18)[36]
    Concealment: (1d2)[2]
    Damage: (1d4+8)[9]+(1d6)[6](acid)+(5d6)[12](deadly defense + bonecrusher)
    Hi! My name is Adrik and I'll be your smiter today.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ukio

The Samurai was partially lost recalling how Marlia'zara could see him before, so he has no doubts about trusting her senses and steps besides her to strike the ogre. You should have listened to the woman when she told you to leave he says, putting his swords to good work.

Spoiler
    Show

5-ft step diagonally besides Marlia'Zara and the Oh-Oni. (P15) then full attack on the ogre.
    katana 1, attack: (1d20+15)[19] damage: (1d10+9)[16] miss chance: (1d2)[1]
    katana 2, attack: (1d20+10)[18] damage: (1d10+9)[11] miss chance: (1d2)[2]
    wakizashi, (1d20+14)[30] damage: (1d6+9)[10]+1 con miss chance: (1d2)[1]
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Marlia'zara

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to attack the Oh-Oni if it does anything other than withdrawing.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Both Kazuo and Ukio score light blows on the Oh Oni. The beast grunts in pain as the blades slash his body.

You all hear the sound of footsteps retreating into the forest growth, and can see the smaller plants getting trampled underfoot by an invisible being.

"*Huff* *Huff* Ha! Amusing, mortals! Yes, you will serve well, just perfectly. A good thing I'm suited more for espionage than combat, or I might have ended up killing such three fine specimen as yourselves! Ha ha!

Yes, yes...with you three, all may go according to plan...

Remember my name, mortals! Silence of the Grave, at your service!

Oh, and...Demon Sword. Ha!"
    And with a cackle, he disappears. Three little objects fall in his wake.

Somewhere deep in the woods, the three of you catch a glimpse of someone on a horse. He looks human, and seems to be wearing Tungusk clothing. Before you can do or say more, the figure rides off into the woods.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Kazuo

Kazuo looks around quickly, listening for any nearby movement. He then crouches down and visually examines the three small objects left behind by the pompous beast, looking for any identifying markings or details.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check: (1d20+10)[25]

Listen check: (1d20+10)[29]

Search check: (1d20+7)[25]

(I have no idea what knowledge check to use, but all of them would have the same roll for me)

Knowledge (?) check: (1d20+2)[22]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Marlia'zara

The elf reluctantly eases her stance. She remains alert, and continues to listen and feel for beings near her, but doesn't do so while grasping her hilt. "I have business to attend to, so I'll leave you to cleaning up those ogres. You are hunters, I presume, so you may want their pelts or whatever it is you hunters do with slain oni.. Ukio, was it? I have need of a soldier, and I presume your liege-lord sent you here to help the noble. Come with me."

Without further ado, she leaves Kazuo to his business. Marlia'zara returns to the fortress and addresses the nearest soldier. "Round up the men. I want everyone who isn't on sentry duty in the main courtyard within the hour. This is an official order for them to assemble, and refusal to follow this order falls under treason. Treason, as we all know, is punishable by pain of death."

With that, she moves to the main courtyard and awaits the arrival of the other soldiers. Assuming that Ukio follows her, she leans in close and whispers to him. "I had a recent--discussion, if you will--with the local noble. He is weak, but useful for my purposes. In that battle earlier, you were striking at the Oh-Oni's vital organs. I did not recognize that style of kenjutsu, but I do recognize the work of a.. Well, I don't feel the need to say that out loud. Suffice to say, I am in need of your assistance. What do you say to a short order promotion? You help me make this fortress great, and I ignore whatever it is your lord sent you to accomplish. Agreed?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ukio

The black-haired man sighes as the Oh-oni goes away, and he uses a small tissue to clean his blade clear of blood. Wondering wether the temporary sight of a rider was real or just a figment of his imagination, Ukio lets his blades slide back into the scabbard.

He looks at Kazuo and makes a small bow, recognizing the courage of the only other man to face the Oh-oni. He also notes mentally how he disappeared into thin air, as only the most trained shinobi are capable.

Then, replying with a broad smile to Marlia'Zara's words, he follows her around as she gives orders to the soldiers and hunters gathered near the gate. He doesn't bother confirming or denying her assumption and just follows along.

Ukio tries to feign surprise when the swordswoman talks him about her interview with the castle's lord, despite already knowing the details of the discussion. Her proposal, however, seems to spark his interest.

My kenjustu is subtle, lady, although I'm afraid its most suitable to fight against opponents I can see well he says, frowning. The smiling expresion returns soon, anyway. I did little more than scratching the Oh-Oni's hide. You, however, are quite impressive. Not only could you locate him with ease, but also were able to cut through his armour and weapons. Ukio then realized that he hadn't answered yet. It will be a honour to use my blades to return this fortress to greatness he whispers in reply. and also to learn from a skilled master as you, if you're willing to teach me. he adds.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Marlia'zara

"I do not teach, Ukio. None the less, I'd like you to visit the noble and tell him that I need someone with your skills in the chain-of-command. If you tell him that I sent you, then he should give you a badge like this." Marlia'zara pulls the badge that noble had given her earlier out of her backpack, then shows it to Ukio. "Once you have one, I'd like you to watch that hunter that helped us against the Oh-Oni. He's strange, and used the same tactic of targeting vital organs as you did."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

The soldiers and hunters, noting that the battle is over, begin the cleanup process. Two of the hunters haggle over who gets what demon and Oni parts, while a third calls out to the three of you, "Hail, warriors, or should I say heroes? We've got plenty of demon parts left over, feel free to take the lion's share!" Said hunter quickly silences a halfhearted protest from another hunter.

The soldiers, meanwhile, start collecting fallen arrows and drag in the corpses. One mutters about how with only a handful of the fort's personnel they managed to not only repel, but utterly destroy a demon raid.

Beyond the gate, you see the Taisa and his guards coming over to inspect the carnage. He looks quite relieved and impressed by the complete lack of casualties.

Spoiler
    Show
    The three of you receive 2100 XP for the encounter. Encounter is officially over.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2008-03-21 at 11:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Marlia'zara

"I don't do corpses, hunter. You may keep my share, and do with it what you will."

With that, Marlia'zara goes to the Taisa and instructs Ukio to follow her. "Is this proof enough that I can fix the damage you've done to this lodge? Never the less.. This man is a samurai from Iga." She calmly gestures toward Ukio. "I will let that speak for itself. Suffice to say, I have found him a worthy combatant and I ask that he be granted the same privilege I have been granted. What do you say to this, Shinji?"

Marlia'zara is still as disrespectful to the Taisa as she was when she first met the man. She even goes so far as using his first name, in front of his soldiers and his minions.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Kazuo

Kazuo examines the three objects quickly and then tucks them in his haversack. He straightens up and bellows in Tungusk, "See then the bravery of the Tungusk! I will take my lion's share. I have no need of the pretensions of nobility."

Kazuo then picks through the demon parts taking those of value before heading back inside the fortress to the pub.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kazuo takes 20 on a search of the demon parts.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ukio

If he's disappointed by Marlia'Zara's words, his face doesn't reflect it. Ukio nods and he heads towards the Taisa besides her. I'm afraid we have not been introduced... says UkioBut I've found that Marlia'Zara-sama is usually right in her decissions he adds respectfully. If you so wish, send a soldier to seek me, Taisa, to further discuss my status.

Ukio turns to have a better view of the hunters. If you'll excuse me he says, bowing to Marlia'Zara, I'm going to check on those before they begin to cause trouble.

Ukio leaves elvish woman and the Noble, and heads towards the tavern.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

The Taisa's bodyguards growl and grip their spears more tightly at Marlia's stinging words, but Shinji casually waves them off.

"Cute," he smirks, "but I've heard worse from fools above my station back in my father's court. My men and I are truly grateful that you and your companion here have driven off the demons, and I do grant you the authority of my Second-in-Command, but you would do well to watch your tongue here.

As for your friend here...perhaps. You have proven yourself worthy, and perhaps he has done so as well, but for now I will observe him. If he does well, I will officially grant him the same status that you hold now. If he does not, then he will be treated as though he were another hunter in residence here."
    Shinji gazes once more at the bloody, but minimal, carnage of the battle.

"Now that the time for sword-slinging is over, it is time for ink-slinging. I have paper work to do, and messengers to send out. You and your friend, meanwhile, may do as you please. From now on, let me handle political and logistic dealings--I will do everything in my power to get what you need for this fort, whether that me more men, more equipment, or whathaveyou. Does that sound fair?"

Elk:

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a little bit confused as to what you're trying to do here; Ukio's trying to get to the tavern to do...what?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2008-03-24 at 05:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ukio

The Samurai just ignores the Taisa's words. If he wants to argue with Marlia'zara, then so be it, but he didn't want to waste more time. He heads towards the tavern and seeks the Tungusk hunter that fought with them against the Oh-Oni.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Marlia'zara

"That is fair, and as I said, you can take all the glory for making this place stronger. After all, it is the least I can do for a pitiable man such as yourself. But, there is one thing you would do well to remember.."

Marlia'zara steps forward and lowers her voice. She puts a hard edge to the next words she speaks. "There are no laws holding me in your service. Nothing beyond my word binds me to this place, and as long as this place is weak I will honor my word. You have until this place becomes profitable to find a way to become strong. If you fail, then I may need to cut out the cancer so that the body may grow. Are we perfectly clear, noble?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate check - (1d20+10)[23]

She leaves, regardless of Shinji's reaction. Marlia'zara told her piece, and she would adhere to it. Now was the time to make the men strong, and to do that, she would need to train them. Marlia'zara leaves for the central courtyard, where she had told that guard from earlier to gather everyone in the camp.