New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Progress and Plight

Silence nods to Dentin. "I think I have too." She laughs, pointing and covering her mouth. "That one looks like my sister, Chastity."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dentin

Wait, what sphere is she on? I'm afraid I may have dated her. Dentin says with an overdramatic worried look on his face befroe cracking a big smile again Only kidding. I much prefer half-orcs. Again he looks around waiting for the 'disgusted' reaction before letting out a big laugh and slapping the guard leading them on the back jovially. Let me stop now before I commit some heresy or something. Still chuckling a little he moves on.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Silence and Chastity, hm? I don't suppose there's a third of you named Patience?
    To Dentin
    That reminds me, What ever happened to Thrunk? One minute you guys were fine, then she disappeared from the face of the earth. Did you do something, or was there another half-orc in the picture?
    Tod will keep his eyes out for any possible ambushes, or anything else that sets off his finely honed "Flee" detector
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+8)[11]

And an Influence to keep a straight face while making things up about Dentin's past paramours
    [roll] 1d20+15[/roll]
    Damn extraneous spaces! can we just call it a Take 10, or shall I make another post with the roll?
    Last edited by deathbyhokie; 2008-03-08 at 11:57 AM.
    Av by Flame Master Axel

Spoiler
    Show

Corwin - Where Are We?
    Tod - Progress and Plight

4. - Top - End - #64

Dentin

Dentin does his best not to look shocked at Tod. Well Mr. Tod, she simply wasn't doing it for me anymore. I fed her to a dire lion, well more accurately she fed herself to the dire lion....I just lead her to it. So how's your sister doing these days? Dentin can hardly keep the lies contained as he grins and hops out of Tod's arms reach.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greyen View Post
    Dentin

Dentin does his best not to look shocked at Tod. Well Mr. Tod, she simply wasn't doing it for me anymore. I fed her to a dire lion, well more accurately she fed herself to the dire lion....I just lead her to it. So how's your sister doing these days? Dentin can hardly keep the lies contained as he grins and hops out of Tod's arms reach.
    "Dentin, I must say, I'm glad to see that you've gotten over the cruel manner in which she abandoned you for a half-ogre. After all, even if he had you beat on good looks, charm, and brains, he couldn't possibly match your sense of humor," Aloysius said in an entirely sincere manner.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2008-03-08 at 12:40 PM.
    Avatar: Baron Blood by Uncle Festy.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Silence laughs lightly at Tod's remark. "I come from a large family. I do indeed have another sister named Patience, as well as some other sisters...Prudence, Charity, Piety, Temperance, Mercy, and Fidelity, for a few. And I've got brothers too: Victor, Valor, Justice, Veritas, Honour..." She pauses. "...it's a very traditional family."
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-03-08 at 01:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroconstruct View Post
    "Dentin, I must say, I'm glad to see that you've gotten over the cruel manner in which she abandoned you for a half-ogre. After all, even if he had you beat on good looks, charm, and brains, he couldn't possibly match your sense of humor," Aloysius said in an entirely sincere manner.
    Anshar frowns. "Speak for yourself. The last half-ogre I met was a rodeo clown."

8. - Top - End - #68

Sometime in your conversation regarding who might have bonked what member of which species on which sphere, whilst Dantony looks on indulgently, apparently without disbelief, you reach the door of the Bronze.

It would be singularly difficult to mistake this portion of the castle for anything but what it is, unlike the Branch Library, which could pass for a largish filing cabinet with an unusually attractive staff.
    The door is bound in- what else- bronze, and bill-carrying guardsmen ready, at any moment, to firmly yell 'stop, thief' or respond to the hallowed cry of 'seize them' stand at the ready.

Within, order reigns. It's a single large room, with floor-to-ceiling windows. It doesn't look very defensible until one realizes that every person within it is carrying a longbow, and further, you're on at least the eighth floor. The city stretches away in all directions; it would be quite a view if it didn't look like a series of inexplicably wooden toadstools with spore-veins of pale gray.
    Everyone within is engaged; some are sorting packages of documents, some bearing messages, some making marks on mounted, detailed maps- and some making them. You catch glimpses of circles, lines of roads- long curving highways through unmarked territory, miles of forest and field and fen.
    There's no evidence of anything hostile toward you, personally- but it's not a friendly place, either. Too much efficiency is in evidence.

One man stands, alone, directing all the others- like the Legifex, he can only be what he is, the Ferromach of Yurawel.
    He stands tall, hair a shining river of gently waving gold falling nearly to his waist. Runes in draconic shine pale on his armor- they read "Lion's Mane" to those that can decipher that tongue. It's easy to see why.
    He looks....handsome. It's hard to escape the fact. But his lip is twisted, as by a permanent sneer; a scar pulls it up and away from his chin, and his teeth, where they can be seen, are blackened with years of military cuisine.
    He wears a longsword at his waist, a roundshield at his back, and a predatory expression when it comes to you.

"So."
    He leans his chin against his hand, cupping his face in such a way to hide his disfigurement. It's a familiar gesture to him, you sense.
    He gets to the point quickly.
    "I can see that damn seed-stained scribbler up at the Library has got you already, so I won't bother trying to get you...enlisted, in any formal capacity. I'd have probably paid in gold, not ships, so more fool you for not coming to me first. I do wonder why you're the sort to turn away from guards..."
    His gaze travels over you. Gimlets look nervous and retiring by comparison.
    "Regardless. I have questions."
    He leans back, without being seated. There is, it would seem, a trick to it.
    "About...Raun. He was a tough son of the land, and I don't think he'd go down just as easily as that...well. If I don't miss my guess- and I so seldom do- you'll be following the Royal Progressus on your damn fool errands for the Scrivener. If you see anything interesting about the heir, you send word to me- not him. I'll...pay."
    He strokes his chin, musing, then nods, curtly.
    "Dantony, take care of them."
    He turns away, speaking to another of his subordinates. It's reasonably clear, as before, that you're dismissed.

9. - Top - End - #69

Dentin

As soon as maps are in evidence Dentin is distracted. He wanders over to the map guys and begins perusing the piles. Not touching just examining. Occaissionally he will look over at the Legifex and nod or say mmm, something. When they are dismissed he will scoot over back to the group and follow everyone out.

Spoiler
    Show

Awareness (1d20+13)[15]

trying to memorize as many maps as he can quickly.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aloysius listened to the Ferromach, observing but not saying anything. After they were dismissed and he had a chance to talk to Dantony without the Ferromach overhearing, he started to question the soldier.

"I can't help but notice that your boss doesn't seem to get on very well with the Legifex, and it seems that the feeling is mutual. Do you know the reason for their dislike? Is it merely competitive zeal, or did something else happen?"

Spoiler
    Show

Influence, if needed, to try and get Dantony to talk if he would otherwise not:
    (1d20+17)[35]

11. - Top - End - #71

Tod will also wander the room a bit, looking at maps alongside Dentin.

Spoiler
    Show

While doing so, Tod will also use one of his 3/day Detect Magic SLAs. Afrer ensuring that there is no magic alarm set to go off if the maps or other documents leave the room, Tod will see if he can't snag a nice map of the realms, and slide it down an available sleeve.
    Awareness (1d20+8)[18]
    Untrained in Spellcraft, so no roll for identifying schools.
    Larceny (1d20+14)[23]
    Av by Flame Master Axel

Spoiler
    Show

Corwin - Where Are We?

12. - Top - End - #72

Dentin, you receive a vague impression, but nothing more solid; the maps are covered in a dense scrum of cartographic notations and runes.

Tod, you notice that each map bears a faintly glowing sigil; an identical sigil is placed above the door. You aren't sure it's a trap or alarm, but it's hard to imagine what else it would be. Nonetheless, you could, you feel, slip one into your sleeve without being noticed.

Dantony turns to Aloysius and grins, lopsidedly.
    "Mostly it's the overlap in their....tasks, you might say. They're both of equal rank, nominally, and much of what they're intended to do is the same- healthy competition. But the Legifex wants to mine all the locals for what they know already before he does anything...and the Ferromach wants to give them something they can hold on to. New plows, aqueducts..."
    He trails off and his expression turns bitter.
    "If the Scrivener would leave off stalling, we could turn this place into a model nation in no time at all..."

13. - Top - End - #73

Yeah, based on available magical evidence, Tod will refrain from pilfering

Goading the guard on, Tod will add:
    That's all those bookish-types seem to do. Delay, delay, delay. Let me guess, he told you that you have to look at the problem from all the angles before you can come to a proper solution, right?

Spoiler
    Show

[ooc]
    Maybe i'm not looking right, but i can't see where we ever got the specifics of the Job from Irrumatus. Did we, and I'm just not seeing it?
    [/ooc]
    Av by Flame Master Axel

Spoiler
    Show

Corwin - Where Are We?

14. - Top - End - #74

"Something very like..."
    Dantony glances at you strangely- apparently the actual wording was very similar.

Irrumatus did not provide you with details; presumably you'll get them once you reach your ship.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

"An understandable sentiment," Aloysius said, sympathetically. "It's hard for men of action to hesitate when there's something active we could be doing."

16. - Top - End - #76

Dentin

Dentin wanders along behind the group. Rubbernecking again. DodoDOdododoOoo. Dentin mumbles a wordless tune under his breath. Those that have worked with him know that this is a sign of heavy thinking for the hunter. A "dirty scheming" plan may be in the works.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-03-10 at 06:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Anshar smiles as he murmurs softly to himself. "'Lion's Mane'... fierce and brave, to be sure. But also man-eating. Best remember that."

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick View Post
    "Something very like..."
    Dantony glances at you strangely- apparently the actual wording was very similar.
    I've known a few of his kind in my day. Usually, if you want to get them moving, the best thing to do is to take the first step yourself. Once you're past where they want you to go, they'll sprint out in front of you before you can even blink.
    Av by Flame Master Axel

Spoiler
    Show

Corwin - Where Are We?

19. - Top - End - #79

Dantony moves toward the door, and motions to you all to follow; he seems to be holding a largish, cubic device that you're fairly certain he didn't have before.

20. - Top - End - #80

Dentin

Dentin follows along, raising an eyebrow for a moment at the cube thingy. He tenses a little ready to jump if things start to get ugly. Thinking to himself he glances around, pausing on Anshar for a moment before moving on.What have I gotten myself into this time? At least there's decent company along, and this other guy too. I wonder what his deal is?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aloysius tried to identify the cubic device as he moved towards the door.

[roll=Knowledge(arcana)]1d20+13[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: I don't know what that means, I think I screwed up the formatting?

(1d20+13)[18] Knowledge(arcana)

23. - Top - End - #83

Tod

Tod will quietly bring his dagger into a more accessible position, and then will ask

What's that you have there?

Spoiler
    Show

Larceny (concealing dagger movements and palming dagger): (1d20+16)[18]
    Know Arcana (trying to figure out what it is): (1d20+9)[25]
    Sense Motive (for his response): (1d20+0)[16]
    Awareness (I've still got Detect Magic up, or if it's been more than 9 minutes [or you feel my concentration has lapsed in the intervening time], I'll burn another use): (1d20+8)[21]

Av by Flame Master Axel

Spoiler
    Show

Corwin - Where Are We?

24. - Top - End - #84

Dantony smirks and fingers his weapon.

"The key to your ship, so don't get any...ideas."
    His tone of voice makes it clear that he holds with ideas generally, but will make a profound exception in your case. He appears to be telling the truth.

Neither Tod nor Aloysius can identify the device precisely. You do recognize it, however, as being crafted of Jade, commonly a material used for items that repel evil or enhance purity.

Detect Magic results for Tod:
    Spoiler
    Show

The cubic object radiates an aura of moderate conjuration.
    You are unable to discern anything else about it.

25. - Top - End - #85

Dentin

Dentin cautiously reaches for the cube to examine it How many keys to the ship are there?

26. - Top - End - #86

Dantony pulls his hand back as you reach yours forward.

"One. And I'm not to let it out of my sight."

27. - Top - End - #87

Dentin

Dentin pulls his hand back with a grin Ah, well. I'll not challenge your orders.

Dentin looks at the others Does this mean I have to get a big hat with a feather and an eyepatch now? He raises his off hand making a hook with his first finger, chuckling.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-03-12 at 05:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Why would your hat need an eyepatch, Dentin?" Aloysius joked back.

"In any case, then, let's continue; I'm anxious, as are we all, I'm sure, to set sail. Idle hands keep no time, as they say."

29. - Top - End - #89

Dentin

Well, I'm not going to be the peg legged pirate! That should be a given. Dentin's grin seems to take up half of his face.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"You could change nothing and be the ugly pirate. Meanwhile, I get to be the ship's romantic interest. Go me," Silence jibes.