New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Progress and Plight

Dentin

Dentin very carefully opens the first door he happens upon.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aloysius read the enclosed instructions, looking into anything about the operations of the ship. He shared any important information he saw with the others.
    Avatar: Baron Blood by Uncle Festy.

3. - Top - End - #123

Dentin, none of the actual doors within the ship- and there's only four, two on each side- will open at the present time. They appear to be sealed shut, each with its adjacent letter bank.
    If you meant the first hatch, let me know.

Tod, ladder easily pulls down at your touch, apparently none the worse for having been mothballed, it moves smoothly, as does the hatch, which springs open by some mechanism as you near it.
    The chamber within is, perhaps predictably, spherical. Just inside the entrance is a walkway bisecting the chamber, with an elaborate, filigreed railing studded with ornamental metallic faces. Similar faces of all descriptions jut from the walls and most of the fixtures, giving the impression of a sort of hellish portrait gallery. More or less all of the fittings appear to be made of the same dark, polished material that forms the doors and walls.
    At the end of the walkway, a hemisphere pushes out from the wall; every portion of it is heavily carved with runes and sigils of mysterious purpose, save a clear circular area in the center. If you happen to touch it, you notice a coruscation of jade, violet, and crimson energies, and feel a sudden surge of lightness in your body.
    On your left as you progress from the doorway inward is a massive bronze tube terminating in a sphere. Four assemblies of aerials, wires, and coils move out from it at the cardinal points, and below the sphere several smaller tubes move down into the chamber's nadir. You can easily hear a faint hissing noise if you pay attention.
    On your right is a smaller, less ornamented walkway, which ends in a padded, suspended seat- a sort of very ornate hammock. This, in turn, faces a bank of levers and switches, most of which are connected by crystalline, vibrating rods to one or more spheres, some clear as glass, others stone, metal, or even wood. The only readily identifiable device is an octagonal ship's wheel centered just before the chair, although somewhat recessed- one would have to draw it out to make use of it.

Aloysius, the instructions point you to the hatch at the stern of the ship.
    Assuming you follow them, you find yourself in, again, a spherical chamber; this one, however, contains only a small landing and no lights whatever- should the hatch close behind you, you find yourself in complete darkness.
    As your eyes adjust, you note that a column stands before you on the balcony on which you stand; this column is, in turn, studded with smaller notched cylinders. A large central cylinder, full of holes, and a series of small bars of just the size to fit those holes, tops the device. Each small bar is engraved with a rune in one or another language; the scroll gives a sequence of runes and their insertion in terms of row and column, numbering from a small notch on the cylinder's head.
    Should you follow the instructions, a few desultory green lights finally illuminate the chamber's distant, curving walls, which are entirely covered with parchment- a palimpsest, apparently, as you can faintly discern the marks of previous writings. A number of quills suddenly spring from beneath the platform, and, at the end of long, spindly arms of wood and iron, trace a path- a crown, and a long line crossing what appear to be small signs indicating mountainous regions, a swamp or forest, and finally, a small castle, perhaps indicating a town. When the autoscribes complete their task, a panel springs toward the platform at speed, bearing a sheet inscribed with notations written in pairs of sphere, relative position, and mineral, i.e. 'emerald 4 high'. These notations are carefully numbered.

4. - Top - End - #124

(OOC- If it has a handle and swings open and closed, its a door to me and probably to Dentin)

Dentin

Dentin opens the hatch he comes to.

5. - Top - End - #125

Dentin, the hatch moves aside as it did for the others; you find yourself on a filigreed walkway, leading out across the center of another spherical chamber.

On your left is a clear crystal sphere, filled with what appears to be buzzing insects; they move so quickly, however, that you find it difficult to get a good look at them.

On your right, three platforms just large enough to stand on are placed before three banks of glass sheets, which flicker and gleam oddly, not entirely in response to ambient light. Below the sheets are six tubes- two for each platform- extending outward from the wall, each filled with a thick, glutinous substance. On a hook at the edge of each platform rest two gloves- close inspection reveals that they are crusted with the same substance, suggesting they are for covering the hands before pushing them into the tubes.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

I think I found my room.

Tod will go and hop into the hammock/chair in the room. Then he'll start examining the levelr and switches, looking for one that just screams "Pull me".

Is the metal in the ship as crusted and dingy as the metal outside of the ship, or is that just an exterior problem?
    Av by Flame Master Axel

Spoiler
    Show

Corwin - Where Are We?
    Tod - Progress and Plight

7. - Top - End - #127

The metal outside the ship is dingy; inside, it's spotless, even gleaming. A team of butlers buttling at full speed couldn't do better.

More or less all of the levers, to a properly adjusted mind, scream 'pull me'.

8. - Top - End - #128

Dentin

Dentin looks puzzledly at the room and moves onto the next hatch in the same hallway. He opens this one and looks in side.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Just to clear it up: it would appear that the device is giving Aloysius a sheet he's meant to detach (or at leas that it appears detachable)? I'm assuming that.

Aloysius took the offered sheet, and then tried to shut down the navigation room by undoing the steps he had performed.

He then set off to find where the others had wandered off to. Hopefully, one of them had already found where to steer from.

OOC: Aloysius will wander around looking for the others - I'm assuming he'll locate Tod and notice that his room appears to be a suitable candidate for where one steers from.

Aloysius found the open hatch leading to where Tod had gone, and as he looked in, saw the gnome staring intently at the series of levers in front of the hammock, and he greeted Tod enthusiastically:

"Tod, it would appear that you've located the steering chamber, or something to that effect. I've gotten my hands on our directions - this ship seems to have a built in device navigation, quite a handy one too. Shall we see if we can figure out how to take off and steer?

Assuming Tod agrees that they should:

Aloysius surveyed the controls, and looked to see if there was any correlation between the directions on his sheet and the various devices in front of Tod. He also showed Tod the directions.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2008-03-22 at 06:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Halfling in the Playground

If Aloysius should find him, Tod will agree, and begin a search for levers that seem to match the printed sheet.

It should be noted that Tod's behavior is best charicterized as how a child looks when he figures out how to get to the cookie jar, or alternately, the behavior of a teenager who just figured out where Mom and Dad keep the liquor.

If Aloysius doesn't find Tod in time, then I guess it's random lever time. Let's go for a Green one, or barring that, a shiny Red one.
    Av by Flame Master Axel

Spoiler
    Show

Corwin - Where Are We?
    Tod - Progress and Plight

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: My apologies for posting this in the IC thread, I can't dig up the OOC one. I heard Shiny is getting back to this, but my computer just melted down, so I may not respond immediately when we restart. I won't be gone too long, but feel free to NPC Aloysius temporarily if needed to keep things going.