New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Drifting Blossoms

The four travelers arrived at the Drifting Blossom seperately, but found themselves sharing a table, the place crowded with travelers and regulars. The food was good fare and though most avoided using plums, a nessesity for the regulars, there was an excellent duck in plum sauce offered to travellers. Tea and local plum wine are readily available, and the five had the good luck to sit near an open window, looking out over the breathtaking fields of plum trees, the main export for the little trade town.

It was after an hour or two of conversation, when the food was done and clear and night was just settling when the ruffians came in. The pack was a rowdy and noisy bunch, full of swagger and good cheer and lead by a large and hefty lout. One self styled 'Rolling Thunder', armoured with obvious battlefield scavange and armed with a large mace.

The group eyes the table the four share, most pointedly watching the only other two in the establishment wearing any armour. (Assuming you keep it on inside towns.)

It's as the old saying goes 'a man with a blade is prepared for trouble. A man with armour expects it.'

Fortunately the large one seems not to care, and is pointedly ignoring the strangers, thumping the table he cleared and demanding his wine. With thier leader seemingly unconcerned the thugs do not appear inclined to make any trouble. Or at least any more trouble, the wine has just started flowing at their table and already Rolling Thunder is diverting someine else's meal to his plate.
    Last edited by Yami; 2008-03-18 at 12:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Drifting Blossoms

Ikiruhe Kefosi

Ikiruhe watches the new commers over the top of his drink, taking note of the way they treat the other patrons in the establishment. In consideration of the political situation in his host country, he still wears his armor. Now, with this new development, he moves the blade he had lent up against the table closer into reach.

After silently observing the new group of warriors, Ikiruhe turns to the rest of his companions and observes in a sotto voice "Is it common among your lands for warriors to take from the mouths of those who can otherwise not defend themselves? They seem to have little regard for their actions..."
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

- I still worship you TSO

Spoiler
    Show

*wanders out whistling All Along the Watchtower cover*

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reed
    Across the table from Ikiruhe sits Lin Reed, quietly sipping a warm cup of Green Tea. His travel bag and belongings lay beside his feet while at his side atop the table rests several sheets of blank paper. Pausing momentarily from his drink, he responds:

"It's not often I've seen such blatant disregard and disrespect for others. These men or most likely cowards instead of warriors, hiding behind their own strength," he quietly responds.

Taking another slow sip from his tea he casually glances in the direction of the new comers. Turning back toward the table he says with a sigh:

"Judging by how fast they're chugging that wine I fear it will soon become quite rowdy here. There goes the peaceful evening," he adds with a small grin.

Spoiler
    Show

Just in case it matters, here are the spells Reed has prepared for the day.

Lvl 0 (4)
    Create Paper, Prestidigitation x2, and Journey to the West
    Lvl 1 (4)
    Piercing Ray x2, Paper Ladder, and Obscuring Mists
    Lvl 2 (3)
    Paper Armor and Wall of Paper x2
    Old Avatar by Doran Liadon. Current Avatar from System Default

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Jin sits beside Reed with a bored look on his face as he listens to his companions speak. As Reed makes his last comment he leans forward with interest.

"Oh? Well this even more interesting than I thought, it was getting to be an awful bore. Do you really think they will want to cause trouble?", he asked his new friends.

He looked at Rolling Thunder and his men as they yelled for more drink.

"I don't believe they will be all that capable of starting trouble if they keep consuming wine at that rate...", he said seeming concerned.
    "Some say there is no finesse to destruction. You know what? they are dead." - Jaya Ballard, Task mage

Jin
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=42620

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Kefosi

Ikiruhe considers the group getting rapidly inebriated with a neutral expression on his face before looking back at Jin.

"It depends what you consider trouble. If it is threat to life and limb, then I do not believe they will be much trouble if they continue as you say. If you consider trouble to be a group of drunken louts starting a fight in the common room, I think that to be a more likely scenario."
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Shinji

Shinji looks over Jins shoulder at the group of bandits and sighs loudly.

"It appears our new 'guests' will indeed start trouble rather soon" Shinji bends his head to the side "At least that is what I would assume from seeing the great amounts of wine they drink and the speed at which the consumes this".

Shinji lifts the white mask just enough to be able to drink from his bottle of wine, his face though is still covered by a sheet of thin white cloth.
    "Hmmmmm..." The extended sound starts out high pitched and grows deeper as he goes on. "I would suggest we decide if we are willing to be in a fight or if we are not, for if we are here when the fight starts I would assume from their looks as they entered that some of them will attack us of it comes to that".

He takes a long look at his belongings, a filled backpack, a rolled up bedroll and his spear, a masterpiece. Its edge is engraved with a rune on each side and the shaft is rolled with leather straps. Underneath the backpack lies another roll of dark red cloth and inside it lies his chain mail.
    He suddenly wishes he had it on.
    Last edited by eex; 2008-03-05 at 09:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reed
    "Things may liven up later, but we can deal with that when it happens. For now there's little harm in enjoying a night's drink," he says while half raising his cup to present company. After a few minutes, however, his curiosity gets the better of him.

"I suppose there's no harm in finding out who they are."

Waiting for one of the waiters or waitresses to walk by he quietly asks, "Excuse me, but who are the gentleman who just came in. Are they regulars here?"

Spoiler
    Show

Attempting a Gather Info check. If I can take 10 I will, otherwise here's the roll.
    Skill Roll: (1d20+1)[7]

Edit: Looks like someones had a little too much tea for the night.
    Last edited by Fisher; 2008-03-04 at 12:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

The waiter stops when Reed hails him, his polite impatience replaceD with a glimmer in his eyes when he's asked to share the local gossip.

"These louts come by a couple of times a week, with few more every time, all just following the big guy. He just showed up about a month ago back when we had a killer running loose-" the waiter starts, just getting into his story when a crash and a shout interupts the tale.

A waitress by the troublesome table stands wide eyed and trembling while one of the ruffians tugs on her arm. unnoticed by the two Rolling Thunder leaps to his feet, his chair still falling over as he grabs the offending man by his leather jerkin. With the rest of the rabble laughing and the noise of the place it is hard to hear the conversation between the two, but the huge man's voice carries, and amongst the five Ikiruhe is able to make out the words "civil additude," "not a bandit anymore" and "here to protect."

Of course, all this commotion draws away your informant, who rushes to help clean up.
    Last edited by Yami; 2008-03-04 at 03:34 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Kefosi

Ikiruhe gives rolling thunder a considerate, yet discreet, look before he turns back the the group and picks up his wine. Looking over the rim, he speaks in a soft voice.

"It would seem that our bandit leader is trying to rise above his past, and he expects his followers to do the same. Perhaps there will be no trouble after all."

He rests his arms comfortably on the table, content to ignore the situation for the moment.
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Falling back into a bored slump Jin crosses his arms over his chest and looks disappointedly at his empty cup. After a short consideration of the undecorated piece of cutlery he tilted his head to the side and asks

"Why would bandits in these parts reform into local protectors? The pickings in these parts must be more than ample to keep them in good stead, considering the word of all the brigands moving in. And considering the increase in such groups would it not just make such a career move more troublesome?"

He turned again to regard the rowdy table, then shook his head slightly and waved a passing servant over and ordered a pot of green tea.

"At least we can enjoy the tea, my treat"
    Last edited by Kirkle; 2008-03-04 at 11:54 PM.
    "Some say there is no finesse to destruction. You know what? they are dead." - Jaya Ballard, Task mage

Jin

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

The night continues, and though the ruffians cause some trouble here and there, the one called Rolling Thunder manages to keep them on enough of a lease to please the five. No blows are traded, no blades drawn, and though bodies fall, it is only from too much drink.

With their journeys weighing upon their limbs and a good meal heavy in their stomachs the five travelers leave to find loggings, promising to meet at the Drifting Blossom again in the morning, to discuss their plans for the future. To decide where and when to make their mark upon this war torn land.

And of course, the most telling question. How do they wish to do so?
    Last edited by Yami; 2008-03-07 at 06:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reed
    Rising early the next day, Reed went about his morning routine. After washing up and studying several pages from the old tome he carried with him, he paid the innkeeper and departed into town to join his fellow adventurers.

Walking towards the Drifting Blossom, he couldn't help but enjoy the quiet and serene morning. For all he knew it may be the most peaceful part of the oncoming day. Seeing that there was still a bit of time till the proposed meeting, Reed decided to wander the streets for a few minutes and see the town. Perhaps there was a marketplace nearby where he could buy some fruit or meet the locals.

Spoiler
    Show

Reed's about an hour early before the meeting. In the meantime he'll wander about and gather some info about recent going-ons around town.

Gather Info: (1d20+1)[5]

Spells for the day
    Spoiler
    Show

Lvl 0 (4)
    Create Paper x2
    Detect Magic x2

Lvl 1 (4)
    Piercing Ray x4

Lvl 2 (3)
    Paper Armor
    Wall of Paper x2

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Kefosi

Ikiruhe began his morning with a some simple stretches and meditation to clear his mind, focusing his consciousness. With his daily routine complete, he gathered his belongings, paid for his room, and began to make his way towards the Drifting Blossom.

Walking purposefully, but in no particular hurry, Ikiruhe let his senses roam, taking in the sights and sounds of people starting their day.

Once at the Drifting Blossom, he found a table to himself, setting down his backpack and weapon within reach, and ordered himself a light breakfast while he waits for the others to arrive.
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Shinji

Shinji stands up from a chair further back at the drifting blossom and walks up to the table where Ikiruhe Kefosi sits.
    He takes a gulp from a bottle of wine. "Hello again Swordsman Kefosi." He sits down and also orders some breakfast. "Have you seen the others, hmmm?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Jin

Jin wakes at daybreak and leaves the gambling parlor where he had spent the night. He takes a walk through the morning markets and makes his way to the Drifting Blossom to meet with his new companions. Walking through the store fronts he takes note of the different wares, the wealth of home made wares available in these places had not worn old on him in all the time he had spent away from the monastry. After inspecting the wares of a silk merchant he made way to the Blossom.

Upon entering the establishment he walks to Kefosi and Shinji and asks, "I see we are together again" he looks about the room, "except for Reed, should we wait for him or just order a meal now?"

Jin

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

The market isn't yet bustling, but still does brisk business with the other early risers in the town, and a few travelers stand about talking business with the merchants while the two caravans in town prepare to leave. However, Reed's early excursion proves rather fruitless as the only thing wants to talk about is the news that Rolling Thunder and his lot went hunting for bandits. The poor Wu Jen gets earful after earful of speculation and worries, but nothing more concrete than rumors.

As Reed enters the Drifting Blossom he notices that it has cleaned up nicely from last night, with the annoyed proprietress the only sign that anything had happened. A few moments after that he spots his new comrades already seated, a waitress ready to take orders.
    Last edited by Yami; 2008-03-13 at 03:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reed
    The town had been fun to explore, even if it was only for an hour. The locals had been friendly and the town was easy to navigate. He never did find that fruit stall though. Perhaps he could get an apple at the Drifting Blossom.

Arriving a few short minutes after the others, Reed finds an empty seat and sits.

"Morning," he begins. I was exploring the town and about lost track of time. Am I too late to order breakfast?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Kefosi

Ikiruhe smiles as Shinji walks over to join him and nods his head politely, gesturing for him to sit. "I have not seen anyone yet, but I assume they will join us presently."

He nod's again when Jin comes in, and tries to attract the attention of a waiter. "I was just about to order myself some food when Shinji arrived. I expect that Reed will be here in his own time."

Ikiruhe is half-way through ordering a light breakfast as Reed joins the group. He finishes his order and then gestures to the rest of the group. "Actually, friend, you are right on time."
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reed
    "That is good to hear," Reeds says with a slight grin.

After ordering a light breakfast for himself and a pot of tea for the group, Reed turned his attention toward the agenda for the day. Waiting for the others to finish their orders and for the waiter to depart, he says

"During my walk I had the opportunity to talk to some of the locals. It seems that Rolling Thunder and his group have gone to hunt bandits. Pausing a moment he continued. "We talked at some length yesterday about journeying together. There are many places we could go to, where should we start?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Kefosi

Ikiruhe sips his tea, closing his eyes briefly to savor the taste. Opening his eye's once more, he sets the drink down carefully before looking back up at the group.

"Well, if it is a journey we wish to undertake, then some company is never a bad thing. Perhaps we should find some merchants or a wagon train and offer them our services? I feel restless, and have no particular desire to head to any one place."
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Jin

"That sounds like a good a plan as any to me, though I am open to whatever the three of you wish to do, as long as it is not too mundane."
    Jin said, "lets just make the decision and be about it this day"

He regarded the pot in the center of the table and poured himself a cup, sitting it in front of him.

"I really do not like to stay in one place for too long with so much of this land to explore"
    Last edited by Kirkle; 2008-03-16 at 10:18 PM.

Jin

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reed
    "Guarding a few merchants sounds like a good idea. If I recall correctly, there was a caravan near the marketplace when I was out walking earlier. Perhaps we could check with them and see if they need help."

Pouring a cup of tea for himself, he slowly sipped it's contents.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds like the caravan it is.

If we're all agreed, we can probably move on to the marketplace once breakfast arrives. Unless you guys want to continue talking.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

As the travelers chat and hammer out thier plans thier meal arrives. Not quite as sumptious as last night's dinner the food is still delicious and plentiful. A miniature feast to start your day contented.

When the would be guards finish thier meal and leave to find the caravans they reach them as they finish thier preperations at the edge of town. The four soon learn that the larger group, consisting of three wagons run by three different merchants, plans to head east and already has eight guardsmen. The smaller caravan plans on heading north, to pick up more goods before heading back, and has only four guardsmen to it's two wagons, but they are all mounted.

Niether seems in a great hurry to leave and the the two groups intermingle freely while they wait for these new arrivals to decide who to approach.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Kefosi

Ikiruhe surveys the wagons briefly and then turns to the group as he absently munches on a piece of leftover fruit from breakfast.

"It looks like the caravan going east has more than enough guards already. Besides, if we can get employment with the caravan going north, we may even be able to ride in the wagons from time to time, seeing as the other guards are already mounted."

He tosses away the remains of the fruit and grins.
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Shinji

"I like your way of thinking, swordsman Kefosi" He turns to the others "I agree with Kefosi, going north sounds like the more interesting choice here, and hopefully he is right and we won't need to acquire horses, although I am almost certain I could get a horse if so would be needed."
    Shinji corrects the mask before adding, "What think you?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reed
    "Going north seems like a sound idea. The merchants don't look to be in any hurry, we should still have time to arrange passage."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Jin

"Well I suppose the choice has been made, let us make the arrangements" he pauses uncertainly, "though I will have to ride upon the caravan, I have never learned how to ride."

Jin

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikiruhe Kefosi

Nodding to the group, Ikiruhe turns and moves towards the leaders of the caravans.

"Excuse me kind sirs. We are given to understand that you will be heading North soon, and would like to offer our services as guards for the journey."
    Damn I like my Ceikatar!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Shinji

Shinji moves up to stand next to and slightly behind Kefosi, ready to "Help explain" the matter if so would be needed.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

The guardsmen maintain a relaxed yet watchful presence while the merchant appraises the four of you. He finally gives a nod asks, "Horses? No matter, as long as you can keep up. Times are not what they used to be."

Pointing at Shinji and Ikiruhe he continues. "I offer five silver a day for you two, and three for your comrades. You will get paid when I stop at a city to trade. If you wish I am heading all the way up to the edge of the orc lands, though my first stop is the small kingdom of Meng De."

He then leans back and awaits your response.