New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond Myria (IC) - Book 2

Noj Onadare
    Noj sits up a little straighter as the strange woman approaches.
    "Aye? Well, I could have told you that. It's as you said, they're weak and farmers besides. If they're to avoid the wendigo, they're moving someplace safer. I'd have left them and maybe sent patrols to guard them myself, but..." he shrugs, itself a cocktail of expression.
    "Apecat? Is that one of those big blubbery things? Slobbets, I call them. Still, I could stand to be about doing something useful again; I've still got throats to cut and legends to make. I'll see if I can't scout about a bit myself...maybe take out a few stragglers or snooping wendigo. Aye?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

By yourself?! She is aghast but admiring, though she looks to Jyn and Thyr as if to confirm the wisdom of the choice.The night will be cold, don't stay out long... take what furs you need and... be careful. a delicate scaled hand touches his arm affectionately in a surprisingly human gesture.

And be careful when you return, the warriors will set guards and may not recognise you.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    A look of surprise crosses Noj's weatherbeaten face, but then he smiles.
    "Aye, Careful is practically my middle name!"
    With on fluid motion, he carries himself to his feet. A little hesitantly, he touches the scaled woman's shoulder with a calloused hand.
    "I'll be back, don't you worry."
    With that, Noj strides off along the hall. He'd pick up a few shiverbit hides and some water, and then he'd start stalking the slopes...

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

"The apekatt are either moving in order to get revenge, or they're running away from something."
    "It could be a stampede meant for us. Those brutes were tough, and if they need shelter, they may force their way in here."
    "The Cadinoc have done that tactic before with many animals. It wouldn't be above them to try it here." She moves the Silver Axe and places Faillune in its customary position on her hip. "And Ingvar may be unwittingly doing the same with the villagers, especially if the warriors will not let them in." There is a flash of inspiration. "Have we heard anything from the scouts elsewhere on the mountain?"
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

5. - Top - End - #275

We should see at least two more scouts before nightfall, they were further away to the south. Though if they had seen anything significant they would have returned before now.

Yellisur paces a little from foot to foot.

We have never needed to defend Mittelheim from attack, it was protected by it's secrecy. I do not know how we will fare trapped inside here, if there are intelligent leaders they might cut off all our exits and summon more to aid them.

Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn mutters, "First name must be 'Not Very'," after she hears Noj tease that his middle name is 'Careful.'

"I would like to join you Noj, if you think I can be of assistance. If you must range ahead that is fine, I would love to see what we may face before finding myself trapped within."

Pausing for a moment, Jyn brightens as she asks "Do you have any grease or slippery substance that we could use to cover the bridge and other areas that a fall could mean death to our enemies?"
    Wonderful Avatar by Kain_Tempest

7. - Top - End - #277

Slippery... no. Any blubber we have brought in from the outside has dried out very quickly. There is tar in the lakes below but it would be very hot and hard to carry.

Yellisur looks about, behind her a pack of the larger warriors are forming up, two dozen with their armour strapped on, speaking to Pine who is still irate.

They may place rock traps above the tunnels, but if the herd get in to the bridge, it may already be too late. I have to go and see what is happening...
    She nods and turns to go and see what Pine is telling the warriors.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Thyr turns to Jyn.
    "Better that you stay and organize defenses with the rest of Mittelheim. I'm no good on the defensive and I have no fear of frost. I will be the one to go with Noj. We just might be able to eliminate whatever is out there before it reaches the caves."
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn eyes Mynas briefly before turning, 'So she thinks she can help Noj defeat the foes, but I can not?' she thinks to herself.

"I will do what I must then."

10. - Top - End - #280

If you think the warrior caste will thank you for telling them how to defend their charge you are sorely mistaken.
    The gravel voice of the stone dvarf rumbles across the earthen floor as though the mountain had spoke. It had been quiet for some time, but now its eyes had the soft glow about them again.
    You unlocked the armoury chamber and now you think to sit here in the comfort of stone walls? Do you wear armour to help you reason? Or because you deserve its protection more than another?

---------------------

Ingvar had them huddled close together and sheltered on three sides. There were some big risks involved, but once they learnt to point their weapons away from each other: they'd got over the first hurdle.
    The wind blustered in from the eastern side as they peered down to the south-west into the formless darkness of the valley. The sun stretched the shadows of their rock shelters across the mossy mountainside and they peered intently downward.

A scrape shocked them from their skin and panic coursed through their blood. Above Ingvar had only noticed the slick black shadow at the last instant as it crept upwards, belly low to the ground - and it clearly had not noticed them.

Twenty yards downslope from the archers, the wolf was alongside the melee group and slightly above them on the slope. It too was startled and its claws raked on the stone as it prepated to pounce.

*2 Initiative rolls please (first one has your bonuses, second one doesn't), and then make your attack roll*
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-06-11 at 06:15 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    "Aye?" Noj asks, as the three women discuss accompanying him.
    "Anyone here's fine company on a slaughter, if you can keep up! Now Come on, whoever's coming; we need some shiverbit hides and some water."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha stalks out of the darkness to the group of his companions. What is happening out here, has Ingvar returned?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

"It appears the Wolvun and the large monsters we battled on the cliff face are on the move here. Noj and Mynas plan on helping to head them off. I was told to stay and organize the defenses, although not knowing anything of the layout of these tunnels or how these warriors battle, I know I will be more of a hindrance than help. It is much wiser forr the battle leaders to tell me where to fight than otherwise. But in any case, I tire of the confines and hope to see battle under the open sky," Jyn offers as a lengthy reply to Vesha's concise question.

Realizing she has not finalized any rites with her banner, she decides to leave the ransuer within the chamber. "Mynas, since Fallune is whole again, may I bring honor in battle to the axe we gathered earlier?" Otherwise she seeks to gather a decent axe or warhammer from the lizardmen.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha growls in frustration. Evil spirits are sending these forces to distract us from our quest. If you fight, you must hide the book, or they may sieze it from you and stop us releasing the sun. I suppose I must fight at your side, against the evil spirits. Vesha doesn't look too pleased at the prospect of this.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

"By gods you are right. I fear we will never stop the onslaught of Wolvun and their allies to this mountain since it is known to them now. Our five blades may povide little to help turn the tide of endless hordes. A year spent defending this mountain brings us no closer to defeating the Adelmada and freeing the sun. But to use our time wisely in searching for the solution could change the world. If the mountain is lost and we are here, the quest ends. But if we are gone with the blessing of the People, we have a shot at completing the quest."

Turning to Yellisur Jyn continues, "Would one of your people travel with us to complete the quest? Their knowledge would be needed to find our way back into the mountain and the sun. Although I worry about Raenis and the burden he carries. What do you suppose would happen if he fell to the Wolvun horde?"
    Last edited by Grymmheart; 2008-06-12 at 09:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

There was no time for words. Ingvar plied his bow, and hoped the farmers would remember his instructions.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (Ingvar) (1d20+6)[7]
    Initiative (sans bonuses) (1d20)[2]
    Attack: (1d20+10)[18]
    Damage (1d8)[6]

move action to get token: total 4

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

Thyr wordlessly hands Jyn the silver axe when asked for. When Vesha points out the danger the book has, Thyr curses in raider tongue.
    "Vesha's right, I wish we thought of it sooner. The Wolvun want both the Adelmada and the book is certainly a close second. If we stay her much longer we may be trapped inside... As much as I want to fight these monsters, this may be our one chance to get back to our quest. Plus the warriors of Mittleheim sound like they can take care of things, especially if this is a simple raid." She turns from Jyn.
    "As soon as Ingvar returns we'll need to take that time to leave. I'm afraid we can't find the apekatt and wait for Ingvar." She turns to Noj. "I hate to say it, but discretion is what we need right now, not valour."

18. - Top - End - #288

The shape moved deceptively slowly as Ingvar raised his bow, but before he had reached the string it flashed forward and there was a small cry that died quickly.
    The wolf felled the first woman with a raking claw that spilled her guts and leapt to the other with its jaws over her face.
    In their shock, the people hardly made a sound but they spun their weapons about and banged into one another, one old man fell down as another thrust past him with a pole. The wolf took Ingvar's arrow across its hide legs and flowed around the pole to charge straight into the group.

To sharp senses the sound was subtle, a low murmur that rippled across the mountainside. The smell of blood was something less easily mistaken, and it would attract something.

-------------------------------

Yellisur stands with Pine and the group of warriors as Jyn approaches. The warriors scowl at Jyn and Yellisur stares wide-eyed at the other woman as she speaks. Her words seem to provoke further angry discourse and Yellisur translates, They will discuss it.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-06-12 at 09:09 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn realizes that her diplomacy was lacking earlier and tries to improve the situation.

"I would gladly die defending this mountain and its people from the enemies that threaten it now. But in the bigger picture, would not it be better my giving my life to accomplish the final goal than the endless struggle I foresee now? I will spill blood to protect today. But what better way to seek vengeance than taking the battle to the heart of what the Adelmada seeks? We may lose individual battles, but it is the war we must seek to win. As it took people of all blood to curb the power that threatens us, I believe it will take such people to finally defeat the evil."

20. - Top - End - #290

The warriors stalk off, the two dozens head to an a narrow slit in the rock you hadn't noticed before. As they file through it seems there must be a larger cavern beyond to contain them all.

Yellisur watches Jyn speak and begins to scowl at her, she hisses but something stuck in her throat makes her cackle.
    Pine snorts moisture from his nose, and you look at him properly for perhaps the first time. He's clearly young and healthy, tall and strong but without muscles, he holds himself high and regal.

His voice isn't as clear as Yellisur's, though any Myrian at all is probably surprising. He talks quite fast and from the back of his throat making a growl, trying not to get his long tongue tangled in his teeth.

Yer haff er lot of words fr one abowt to die. Find yeer peassse quickly. You speck as though yer haff some high purpose that we all missss, as though your life was worth more than oursss. You speak as though the battle were already lost. You speak as though we must aid you yet when we asked you fer help you took our shelter fer days and did nothing.
    It tisss upon you now.
    You speak as though you have a choice when you do not, for the breath of the ancients is about you and the Vendigo spirits are appealing to your cowardice like a berry to a grub.

The white wood staff flicks out and touches Jyn on a silver scaled breast, chittering the new mail.
    Take your shiny treasures and meet your father with your last breath doing glory to his name. Or spend the last winter of your wretched life biting dirt, breeding hounds for the Cursed Wench.

His eyes fume, a redness around the edges lends him a ghastly stare with his anger. Then he swirls about and stalks off, through the gap in the rock.

Yellisur pauses for a moment, then rushes away to join him.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-06-12 at 12:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn's own ire begins to rise as these "People" direct their fear towards her. She is just being practical and analytical. But the words the lizard youth speaks, suggest anger which is often a cover for fear. And what help did these people ask of her besides fullfilling the destiny that has been thrown their way and free the sun. Should she work harder to show her bravery and battle prowess, or just keep the knowledge that several of their "People" fell eaily to the blades of her companions.

Shaking her head, she realizes that such thoughts are not helpful at this time. Let their anger subside as she lets her own unease drift away. Realizing that no answer can be given that properly crosses the cultural gap that exists here, she hefts her axe.

"Well that did not go well," she replies to her companions. She continues, "So, do we carry all our gear with the thought of leaving if the battle turns ugly, or leave with only weapons and gear to return once the battle finishes or die trying?" She hopes the "People" hear her comments. Let them think she says it in fear, it is only with utter rationality that she has these concerns.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe Jyn should remove her PrC level. Considering how the "People" look at her and even her companions (with Mynas recommending she stays in defense as opposed to thinking her blade could help in the battle) maybe having some inspirational PrC will not work. Gaining the companions trust and such is her goal, but maybe she is not ready to have a lvl in the class yet.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar draws his obsidian blade and lays into the wolf, trying to bring it down quickly.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack1 (1d20+11)[31]
    Damage1 (1d10+5)[8]
    Attack2 (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage2 (1d10+5)[10]

total tokens:4

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

That's more like it! The first hit was a critical threat... lets try and confirm

confirming (1d20+11)[31]
    extra damage (1d10+5)[6]

EDIT: Yesss!!!!!!! So that would mean the beastie takes 24 hp damage.

Last edited by Helfdan; 2008-06-12 at 03:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj, leaning a little impatiently just inside the tunnel hears the exchange going on. He taps his foot on the stone, and every now and again a blue spark flashes in the dim hallway, grounding itself from Noj's toe.
    He grimaces as the women continue the discussion, but he straightens up when Pine talks. Listening with his head slightly tilted, Noj nods as the lizardman stumbles through his speech.
    Aye.
    Noj re-enters the room, pulling back his red hair for just a moment.
    "He's full right. Looking too much at the horizon cost me most my clan, and I'll no let these Mailedmen suffer the same thing all because o' me and us. Let the sun sleep a bit yet; no good bringing it back unless there's something in all Myria besides Wendigo to enjoy it!"
    Noj takes up his sword, mirror-bright and sharp as the wind.
    "Run off to whatever horizon you must, but I've got debts to settle here on this rock. Now. I'm off to hunt."

25. - Top - End - #295

The hunter drops his bow and strides down the rough slope, he skids briefly on a patch of loose gravel but holds his blade all the same, its light weight not affecting his balance at all.
    The hunter leaps a final rock as the wolf snarls and bites the hand off the man with the long pole at the wrist. Then suddenly the ferocious dark shape falls in half as Ingvar's dark blade cuts upwards through its belly and severs its back.

The man gargles loudly and then falls unconscious, the blood vomiting from his arm and all around, little chance of anything to be done to save him.

The remaining people stare wildly at Ingvar, praising him with their eyes and thankful for their lives. With barely a glance at their attacker they run and scurry up the scree towards the carvan, leaving the hunter alone.

Spoiler
    Show
    You needed to spend two tokens to move in to attack the wolf. Sorry, should have made clear distances and rough terrain. This scene will count as a combat though so you can keep your tokens... just in case something strange happened like ... more fights start for example...

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Scorned by shame and guilt, Mynas has to look away from the lizard. When Noj spoke, she had to agree as well. What good was saving the sun without having those to enjoy it. She didn't want a legacy, but if there were true Cadinoc left, she had a responsiblity to ensure that they had something to prey upon in the new world. As silly as that sounded, for her to take on the role of a warden.

"They can't even agree on one thing. Curse us for staying. Curse us for leaving. Feh. Fine, let them stare at their feet." She growled as she followed after Noj. Cattle... All of them were just fodder to the beasts.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar lopes towards the wagons, pausing only to retrieve his bow. His eyes, though green in daylight, have a faint yellowish hue in the dark, as he seeks further foes. He keeps his black sword in hand, sensing that in this darkness, all bloodletting will be up-close. Let them come, he thinks grimly. It must be my Lupin blood which makes me think I can face a whole pack by myself... He looks ahead at the retreating farmfolk, and cannot help but smile as he remembers his friends' assessment of them. They were brave enough to try...

Spoiler
    Show

NP, boss. I should have asked which group it was charging. I also meant to ask about terrain... Also, given Ingvar's combat reflexes masteries, position becomes important (any time anyone moves out of a space he threatens, he gets an AoO, even if they just 5' step or tumble successfully, and he gets 5 per round.)

But I did enjoy that crit :)

Last edited by Helfdan; 2008-06-12 at 07:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha curses. Fools, you'll get yourselves killed for nothing!
    Seeing that his words have no effect, he walks to the statue. Come on Dvarf, if they're to reach their destiny we're going to have to protect them. He takes hold of the maul and pulls.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

Following the others, Jyn makes her way out of the chamber and stiffling confines surrounding her. "Let's spill some blood then."

30. - Top - End - #300

Noj stalks off to lava chamber and across the bridge towards the western tunnel exit. Thyr follows swiftly behind with Jyn bringing up the rear a few paces behind.
    Vesha tugs at the maul as the others leave the settlement. The stone statue holds grimly on and the head turns slowly to look at him.

For a moment Vesha's will reaches out to touch the soul of the dvarf and faintly feels the ties that would allow him to tug the spectral creature back into its container. He tests the tethers as though summoning the strength to bind it again, but it is beyond his power at the present.

The eyes glow dimly and look up at him. "This should not be my fate... but perhaps it is yours..."
    Then the light fades in the eyes and the maul humms, a sheen appears over the bronze head which quickly fades.

It was good to know form again, though not something I could have sustained it speaks to Vesha's mind. And the statue is still.

Spoiler
    Show
    The dvarf is a level 3 spirit and Vesha could manipulate it with tokens, if he could use level 3 spirits.

-----------------------------------

Ingvar's legs pound hard as he gains ground up the steep slope, he scurries at the top and sprints along a patch of reedy grass in the gathering darkness towards the outlines of the moving people above.

A warning breeze is all there is to alert him. He half turns and raises his sword arm blindly to ward off the attack as the dark shape bowls into him from the right side. Jaws close nipping at his chin whiskers and swiping claws pick threads from his new Pinval tunic as the two go tumbling across the hard earth. They roll and come up, struggling to stand on some loose rocks that roll downwards.
    Another shape dashes past, ignoring him and heading uphill.
    Ingvar slashes the blade about him and raises the point towards the crouching wolf, when thin scratches rake down one calf and also down a hip across a buttock, as two more creatures catch upto him from the other side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Three Wolvun surprised you, one from one side, two from another.
    6 damage + 3 damage (claws), no DR to soak.
    You spotted the third that headed past you towards the convoy, you can take an AOO.
    -2 terrain tokens to sprint uphill, +2 from the new footing. Total 2 left I think..

--------------------------------------

Noj leaves the tunnel, emerging on the Eastern side of the mountain and facing into the wan orange sun as it sets into the hazy liquid of the white hills. The long snow slopes downwards out in front and the cliffs beckon to the South.
    Thyr and Jyn appear behind him, slightly more cautiously and Vesha's soft padding is not far behind.

The ice chill blasts into your faces and the gained heat instantly leaves your faces and reaches into your limbs.

*Survival checks please, I hope everyone wrapped up warm.*

Spoiler
    Show